Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 95 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 95 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


uary 8, 1865. She married (second), Septem-
ber 14, 1866, James B. Wood. 9. John, born
March 26, 1848, Falls township, Wyoming
county, Pennsylvania ; married, September, 1868,
Helen Dickinson. 10. Rosanna, born August
4, 1850, Falls township. Wyoming county, Penn-
sylvania ; died December 2, 1884.

STEGMAIER FAINIILY. Charles Steg-
maier, the founder of the family in the United
States, was born in Wurtemburg, Germany.
October 7, 1821. At the age of fifteen years he
engaged as an apprentice in his native town to
learn the business of brewing, and after serving
as brewmaster in several of the largest breweries
in Wurtemburg set sail in 1849 for America.
He arrived in New York city, from whence he
journeyed to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in
which city he secured employment with the Cor-
poration brewery, afterwards with Louis Berg-
doll, and during this period became acquainted
with John Reichard, now deceased, the founder
of the Reichard & \\'eaver brewery, of Wilkcs-
Barre, Pennsylvania. Mr. Stegmaier entered
]\Ir. Reichard's employ, came to Wilkes-Barre in



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



457



1 85 1, and brewed the first beer in that section of
the state. After serving with Mr. Reichard for
several years he accepted a position with George
Laurs, now deceased, at Fottsville, Pennsylvania,
which position he held until his return to W'ilkes-
Barre.

In 1857 Mr. Stegmaier engaged in business
on his own account, conducting a bottling es-
tablishment for a short period of time, and later
he entered into partnership with George C. Baer,
now deceased, under the firm name of Baer &
Stegmaier. They built a small brewery on
South Canal street, near the present site of the
wire bridge, which was known as the Hiet prop-
erty. The kettle used was a wooden one, and the
product of the brewery was stored in a deserted
mine tunnel at Port Brukly, which the firm leased
from George Hollenback, now deceasd. During
this time the under ground vault on East Market
street was built, and in 1863 the tunnel and
brewery on East Market street was occupied by
them. The business increased in volume and im-
portance continuously until the panic of 1873,
when operations were suspended. jMr. Steg-
maier then entered the hotel business, which he
continued until 1875, in which year he rented
the Bowkley brewery on North River street and
the canal, associating with him his son Christian.
In a modest way he again commenced to conduct
a. business of his own, and father and son con-
tinued their business relation at the aforesaid
place until 1880, when the former Baer & Steg-
man brewery was repurchased, which is a part of
the present property owned and occupied by the
Stegmaier Brewing Company. ,

Under the careful management of father and
son the business increased in a remarkable man-
ner, and in order to fulfill their orders they were
obliged to enlarge their facilities, and in 1894
the new brewery and storage house were built,
of a capacity of three hundred thousand barrels
per annum, making it the most extensive brew-
ing business outside of Philadelphia and Alle-
gheny counties in the state of Pennsylvania. I\I.
Stegmaier continued his active management of
the company affairs until 1902. The officers and
directors of the Stegmaier Brewing Company
are his sons, all of whom are members of the
firm : President, Charles ; vice-president, Fred
J. ; treasurer, Christian, and secretary, George J.

Charles Stegmaier married, Januarv 3, 1851,
Katharine Baer, daughter of the late George C.
Baer. Their children are as follows : Charles,
Christian E., born April 18, 1854 ; George J.,
"born April 4, 1858: Fred J., Louise, Alary, born
1863, died 1883 ; and Louis, died in infancy.



For the past several }'ears ]\Ir. Stegmaier has
spent the winters at Los Angeles, California,
where he has a number of financial interests.
His daughter, Mrs. Philip Forvie, who has al-
ways resided with her parents at the homestead
on East Market street, Wilkes-Barre, and whose
husband is one of the enterprising merchants of
Wilkes-Barre, in addition to having interests in
Los Angeles, California, accompanies him.

Christian E. Stegmaier was born in W^ilkes-
Barre, Pennsylvania, April 18, 1854. He at-
tended St. Nicholas parochial school, and after-
wards entered Wyoming Seminary, from which
institution he was graduated in 187"

He began business life with his father,
later was admitted as partner, has been
identified with the business ever since, and
at the present time (1905) is treasurer of
the company. He is also connected with
numerous other enterprises throughout the
countr}-, among which are the W}-oming Lace
]\lills, of which he is treasurer and director;
\\'yoming Cutlery Company, of which he is
director ; Wilkes-Barre Hotel Company, of which
he is a director ; Wyoming Valley Trust Com-
pany, of which he is a director ; Plymouth Nat-
ional Bank, of which he is a director : Harvey
Lake Hotel Land Company, of which he is pres-
ident : Anthracite Land Company, of which he
is president : and Kingston Land Company,
Limited, of which he is a director. He is a mem-
ber of the Roman Catholic church, and a Repub-
lican in politics. He married, November 14,
1890, Nellie Hesse, daughter of John and Eliza-
beth Hesse. No issue.

George John Stegmaier was born at Wilkes-
Barre, Pennsylvania, April 4, 1858. He at-
tended St. Nicholas parochial school and Wyom-
ing Seminary. He turned his attention to the
trade of machinist, serving an apprenticeship in
the Ashley shops, Jersey Central Railroad shops,
Pennsvlvania Railroad shops at Altoona, Penn-
sylvania, and various others. Later he accepted
a position as bookkeeper, collector and general
office worker in his father's establishment, and
is now a member of the company, serving as
secretarv. Mr. Stegmaier is interested in a num-
ber of the leading enterprises throughout the
citv and county, among which is the Doran Lace
^Manufacturing Company, of which he is treas-
urer. He has taken a great interest in politics,
representing the district in the legislature in
1888-89, was a member of the city fire depart-
ment for sixteen years, two of which he held the
office of chief, was unanimously elected by the
council in ]\Iay of 1905 to fill the vacancy created



45



8



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



by the death of James Mack, and for several
years served as tresiirer of the city of Wilkes-
Barre. He married, January i, 1889, Mary
Costella, daughter of Patrick and Mary Cos-
tella, and the following named children were
born to them : Katharine, George J., Christian,
Teddy, and Louis, who died at the age of three
and a half years.

Charles Stegmaier and his sons are among
the highly esteemed citizens of the city of
Wilkes-Barre, have contributed largely toward
its growth and development, and are staunch
supporters of every worthy enterprise. They are
extremely charitable, and in all their benevo-
lences follow out the Golden Rule : "Let not
thy right hand know what thy left hand doeth."

MAJOR EVERETT WARREN. The
name of Warren figures conspicuously upon the
pages of military history in America. The fam-
ily has been represented in almost every war of
the country, and to one of these branches be-
longed the distinguished hero of Bunker Hill,
General Joseph Warren. More than a century
before the family had been established in Amer-
ica, the name of Peter Warren, mariner, appears
upon the town records of Boston, in 1659. When
more than one hundred years had passed Joseph
Warren, already trained in military service,
prior to the outbreak of the Revolution, became
one of the organizers of the Massachusetts
troops, received a general's commission and led
the American army at Bunker Hill, there to
meet death on the 17th of June, 1775. He was
born in Roxbury, ^Massachusetts, June 11, 1741,
and was a graduate of Harvard College, class
of 1759. He then entered upon a professional
career as master of the Roxbury (Massachusetts)
school, and subsequently taking up the study of
medicine under the direction of Dr. James Lloyd,
entered upon the practice of the profession in
1764. Those were troublous years in the his-
tory of the colonists. Oppressive taxation was
arousing the opposition and antagonism of a
large majority of the liberty loving people of
the new world, and Dr. Warren became one of
the leaders in the opposition movement. The
passage of the stamp act in 1765 led him to pub-
lish several articles in the Boston Gazette against
the course pursued by the mother country and
brought him into prominence as one of the sup-
porters of the American cause. A committee of
safety was organized in Boston, of which he
became chairman. He was chosen a member
of the Provincial council, and served as presi-
dent of its meeting held in Watertown, Mav 31.



1775. thus becoming the chief executive officer
of Alassachusetts in the Provincial government.
He wielded a wide influence in public affairs,
and was a recognized leader in moulding public
thought and action. More than a month before
the convening of the Provincial congress at Wa-
tertown the first blow for American liberty had
been struck. His entire sympathies were with
the cause, and on the 14th of June he was chosen
major general of the Massachusetts forces, and
three days later commanded his troops at Bunker
Hill. It is said that both General Putnam and
General Prescott successively signified their read-
iness to take orders from him, but he refused
and in the final struggle, when he was endeavor-
ing to rally the militia, he was struck in the head
by a musket ball and instantly killed. His statue
adorns the battlefield on which he fell, and his
name has gone down in history as one of the
heroes who won the nation's independence.

Isaac Warren, a relative of Gen. Joseph War-
ren, in a collateral line, was born at Long Mead-
ow, Massachusetts, and enlisted for service in
the war of 181 2, but participated in no active
engagement. In early life he learned the shoe-
maker's trade, which he followed at Bethany,
near New Haven, Connecticut. Up to that time
shoes had been uniformly worn by men, and
Isaac Warren manufactured the first pair of calf-
skin boots for use in this country. The new
article of footwear at once became popular, and
his time was constantly occupied in filling the
orders that came to him. Removing from Beth-
any to Goshen, Connecticut, he fell dead when
about sixty-three years of age. His wife, who
bore the maiden name of Leonora Perkins, was
born in Bethany, Connecticut, and was of Eng-
lish lineage. Her father, Israel Perkins, was
a farmer of that state and an influential citizen
of his locality, well informed in all general topics
of interest and so fair-minded that his opinions
were frequently sought by friends and neighbors.
He married Millicent Judd, representative of one
of the colonial families of Connecticut. She
proved an able helpmate to him, being a very
industrious woman and possessing a noble Chris-
tian character in keeping with her profession as
a member of the Episcopal Church. She reached
the very advanced age of ninety-eight years,
passing away at the time of the Civil war. In-
teresting events are told in connection with the
early history of her family. One of her brothers
was hidden in a well for forty-eight hours when
the Tories went from Long Island to Connecti-
cut, and thus he escaped any harm. Later he
joinefl the colonial forces and sustained severe



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



459



injuries while fighting with the British. Airs.
Leonora Warren died in Scranton at the age
of seventy-eight years. By her marriage she had
become the mother of seven children, the eldest
being Israel Perkins, who for many years was
a minister of the gospel and afterward became
editor of a religious newspaper. He died in
Portland, Maine. William Edwin, entering up-
on his business career as bookkeeper, afterward
became actively connected with railroad inter-
ests, his first association being with the New
York and Erie Railroad. Subsequently he was
secretary and treasurer of the Delaware, Lack-
awanna & Western Railroad, and later was em-
ployed as an expert accountant by A. T. Stewart
and other prominent business men of New York.
His death occurred in the metropolis, but he
made his home in Newburg, New York. Har-
riet is married and lives in New Haven. Isaac
Watts, who died in Binghampton, New York,
was a contractor and builder. Harris Franklin
was the next in order of birth. Cornelia Ann
was the wife of Edwin Ives, of Wilkes-Barre,
Pennsylvania. George Frederick, a cavalry sol-
dier of the Civil war and afterward aide on the
stafif of General Grant, to which position he was
transferred by the request of the general, is now
a farmer and nurseryman of Harvard, Clay
county, Nebraska.

Harris Franklin Warren, son of Isaac and
Leonora Warren, was born in Bethany, Connec-
ticut, March lo, 1824, and about 1838 went with
a brother to Newburg, New York, where for a
year he was a student in the high school. Going
to the west in 1843 he secured a position as
bookkeeper in a large wholesale establishment in
Detroit, Michigan, being in the employ of Reu-
ben Towne, which position he resigned in 1848,
and became bookkeeper for the wholesale mer-
cantile house of Zach. Chandler & Company, of
which he became the junior partner in 1850. His
health failing in the west, Mr. Warren accepted
a position in Scranton, Pennsylvania, as book-
keeper for the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western
Railroad in the car and machine shops. For al-
most ten years he was in a semi-invalid condi-
tion, but finally regained his strength and lived
to an advanced age. From 1854 to 1890 he was
a factor in the citv, and then took up his perma-
nent abode at his country home in Dalton. The
spirit of loyalty which has been characteristic
of the family from the time of its establishment
in America was manifest in him during the Civil
war and he responded to the draft, but was re-
jected by the medical examiner. His political
allegiance was given to the Republican party.



He was married twice while in the west, first
wedding Mary Ann Stroud, a native of Eng-
land and an adopted daughter of his employer,
Reuben Towne. Her death occurred in 1850.
He married (second) Marian Alargery Griffin,
born near Ltica, New York, a lineal descendant
of Nathaniel Griffin, who was given a farm near
Utica as remuneration for services in the Revo-
lutionary war. The deed for this property was
signed by George Washington and is still in pos-
session of the family. To Mr. and Mrs. Harris
Franklin Warren were born three children who
are yet living : Josephine, wife of N. C. Bartlett,
of Philadelphia : Annie Leavenworth, wife of
F. P. Price, merchant of Scranton ; and Everett.

Major Everett Warren, born in Scranton,
August 27, 1859, became a student in the public
schools at the usual age and later prepared for
college in Merrill's Academic School, where he
studied Latin and Greek, paying for his tuition
with his earnings as a carrier boy for the Scran-
ton Rcpiiblicau and subsequently for the Scran-
ton Times. Ambitious for advancement along
lines demanding intellectuality, culture and close
application, he assiduously applied himself to the
duties of clerk and office boy in the office of A.
H. Winton and subsequently was with Hand and
Post. He continued his studies preparatory to
entrance into college with Frank Bentley as
tutor, bringing to him over three-fourths of the
salary earned as law clerk. The year 1877 was the
fulfiUment of his hopes in one direction, for at
the beginning of the fall term he matriculated in
Yale University, where he soon distinguished
himself in his literary and forensic studies and
was graduated in the class of 1881 with the de-
gree of Bachelor of Arts.

Following his admission to the bar in 1882
Major Warren became the partner of Hon. E.
H. Willard, and in 1892 they were joined by
Judge H. A. Knapp, the business relationship
of the three being maintained until June, 1895,
when Mr. Willard was appointed one of the new
superior court judges by Governor Hastings.
This left Major Warren as head of the firm of
Warren & Knapp, and throughout the interven-
ing years he has maintained a foremost position
at the bar of Scranton. He is especially promi-
nent as a corporation lawyer and is now attor-
ney for the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western,
the New Jersey Central, Lehigh A'alley, the
Erie, the Erie & Wyoming \'alley Railroad,
also the Scranton Traction Company, the Lack-
awanna Iron & Steel Company and the Penu-
s}lvania Coal Company. His success came soon
because his equipments were unusuall}- good, he



460



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VAIXEYS.



having been a close and earnest student of the
fundamental principles of law. Nature endowed
him with strong mentality, and he had acquired
that persistent energy and close application with-
out which there is no success. Along with
these qualities, indispensable to the lawyer, he
brought to the starting point of his career cer-
tain rare gifts — eloquence of language and a
strong personality — and the favorable judgment
which the world passed upon him at the outset
of his career has been in no degree set aside or
modified, but in fact has been strengthened as
the years have passed and he has demonstrated
his ability to cope with the most intricate prob-
lems of jurisprudence, maintaining a foremost
place as a representative of the legal fraternity
of Pennsylvania.

It is not alone at the bar that Major War-
ren has won distinction, for he is a prominent
factor in military and political circles. In 1881
he became a private of Company A, Thirteenth
Regiment, Pennsylvania National Guard, then
commanded by Capt. Louis A. Watres, after-
ward lieutenant governor of Pennsylvania. Three
years service in the ranks was followed by
promotion to sergeant major, later he became
adjutant and finally judge advocate of the Third
Brigade with the rank of major on the staflf
-of General J. P. S. Gobin. After a continuous
service of more than ten years he resigned as
judge advocate in 1891, and ceased to be a mem-
ber of the national guard. He declined a com-
mission as colonel on Governor Hastings' staff,
but is advocate on Major General Snowden's
stafif with the rank of lieutenant colonel. His
local preminence as a political leader was fol-
lowed by national recognition, when in 1887 in
the old Chickering Hall in New York there as-
sembled the first convention of the newly or-
ganized National League of Republican Clubs,
Major Warren acting as representative of the
Central Republican Club of Scranton, while in
the subsequent election of national ofhcers he was
the unanimous choice of the Pennsylvania del-
egation for treasurer. He was chosen the first
of three vice-presidents when in April, 1888, the
State League of Pennsylvania was organized at
Lancaster, and in 1894 he was elected president
by acclamation and re-elected in York in 1895,
continuing at the head of the league as its chief
executive officer until 1896. He is now a mem-
ber of the advisory committee of the National
Republican League, and his opinions have carried
weight in the state and national councils of his
party. He has been prominent in Republi-
can aflairs in his home localit\-, having been



secretary of the county committee, chairman of
the city committee and also a member of the
advisory committee of the state committee. In
1896, at the state convention in Harrisburg, he
was nominated presidential elector from the
Eleventh congressonal district. Political prefer-
ment, however, has had no attraction for him.
His interest is that of the broad-minded citizen
who recognizes his duty to state and nation, and
puts forth effective eflort in support of princi-
ples which he deems most conductive to good
government and the welfare of the majority.

Major Warren married, May 31, 1883, in
Scranton, Ellen H. Willard, a daughter of Hon.
A. N. Willard, and they have three children :
Marion Margery, Dorothy J. and Edward Wil-
lard. The family are communicants of St. Luke's
Episcopal Church, in which Major Warren is
serving as vestryman. He has attained the
Knight Templar rank in Masonry, belonging to
Peter Williamson Lodge, Free and Accepted
jNIasons ; Lackawanna Chapter, Royal Arch Ma-
sons, and Melita Commandery, No. 68, Knights
Templar. He is a man of marked activity, strong
individuality and notable strength of character.
His efforts have been an influencing force along
many lines touching the general interests of so-
ciety, and he has kept abreast with the best think-
ing men of the age.

ISAAC SELDEN GRAVES, M. D., a grad-
uate of the University of the City of New York,
and a general practitioner of Jermyn, Pennsyl-
vania, where he enjoys the patronage of a large
number of the most select families, was born on
the home farm in Scott township, then Luzerne
but now Lackawaniia county, Pennsylvania, De-
cember I, 1859, a son of Albert and Margaret
(Miller) Graves, a grandson of Richard and
Elmira (Tompkins) Graves, and great-grandson
of Comfort and Constance Graves. Comfort
Graves emigrated to this country from Ireland,
and was the ])rogenitor of the American branch
of the family.

Richard Graves (grandfather) was a native
of Rhode Island. The early years of his life
were spent in his native state, but on attaining
the age of seventeen years he took up his resi-
dence in Abington township, Pennsylvania, but
later settled in Greenfield township, where he
resided for a number of years, after which he
purchased property in Scott township and re-
mained there until his death. He was an active
and influential member of the community, and
was the incumbent of the offices of auditor, as-
sessor and collector. He held membership in the



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



46 r



Methodist Church, and was an earnest worker
for the advancement of the interests of that de-
nomination. He married Ehiiira Tompkins, a
native of Rhode Island, and daughter of Jolin
and Abigail (Fenner) Tompkins. The Tomp-
kins family were of Holland extraction, and the
Fenner family were among the early settlers of
the state of Connecticut. Four sons were the
issue of this marriage, namely : Albert, mentioned
hereinafter ; Edwin, a resident of Jermyn ; Rich-
ard, a resident of Scott township, and John T.,
attorney-at-law and formerly judge of a county
court in South Dakota.

Albert Graves (father) was born in Green-
field township, then Luzerne, but now Lacka-
wanna county. May 16, 1825. He attended the
public and private schools of Scott township, in
which section of the state the greater part of
his life was spent. At the age of nineteen years
he began to teach school, and for thirteen win-
ter terms thereafter followed that line of work
in Scott, Greenfield and Benton townships, while
the intervening summers were devoted to farm
work. In 185 1 he purchased a farm in Scott
township, consisting of sixty-seven acres, and
erected thereon a number of commodious build-
ings. He was practical and progressive in his
methods, and his well-tilled fields yielded him a
goodly return for the labor bestowed upon them.
During tlie latter years of his life he lived some-
what retired from the busy round of duties that
formerly engaged his attention and energy, and
he was then able to enjoy the comforts of life,
which is a fitting sequel to a life well spent in
honest and honorable toil. He served his town-
ship as justice of the peace, which office he held
for fifteen years, for twelve years was the in-
cumbent of the office of assessor, and during his
service of nine years as school director worked
faithfully for the advancement of the free edu-
cational institutions of this district. He was a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in
which he officiated as leader and trustee, and was
a Republican in oolitics.

Albert Graves married Margaret Miller, and
their children were: Albert Clarence, Richard
Hobart, deceased ; Margaret E., deceased ; Isaac
S., mentioned hereafter; Mary L., married
Charles Harned ; and Alice. Mr. Graves died
December 19, 1900, having survived his wife
ten years, her death occurring February 6, 1890.

Dr. Isaac S. Graves spent the years of his
boyhood in play, work and study, and being of a
studious disposition progressed rapidlv in his
studies and was rewarded by receiving a certifi-
cate entitling him to teach from the county su-



perintendent of schools. He then served in the



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 95 of 130)