Horace Edwin Hayden.

Genealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) online

. (page 98 of 130)
Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 98 of 130)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


throat, and after his graduation spent considera-
ble time in the hospitals of Philadelphia devoted
to those branches. In the spring of 1887 he took
a trip abroad in order to continue his studies, and
for a time attended the various eye hospitals of
the Frederichs Wilhelm University, of Berlin,
Germany, under the famous professors, Schweig-
ger and Hirschberg. At the completion of his
studies he made a tour of Europe, and then
spent several months in St. Mary's College Hos-
pital, London, England, under Professors Juler
and Critchett. Since then he has been a great
traveler and has visited nearly every section of
the world with the exception of the far east, thus
adding considerably to his store of knowledge
and experience. Upon his return to his native
land Dr. Casselberry located in Hazleton. Penn-
sylvania, where he 'has since continued in active
practice.

In addition to his profession Dr. Casselberry
has served for the past ten years in the capacity
of director of the Hazleton National Bank, Haz-
leton Gas Company, Hazleton Regalia Company,
and Midland Street Railway Companv of Phila-
delphia. He is an active and stanch Republican
in politics, was a member of the county commit-
tee several times, and was chosen as representa-
tive at the various nominations and conventions.
When Hazleton became a city in 1892 he was
nominated by the Republicans of the eighth ward
for select council. Without any solicitation on
his part the Democrats of the ward assembled
in convention and endorsed his nomination so
at the succeeding election he was elected, receiv-
ing ever}' vote cast. This was the first campaign
for city officials, and when the first select council
was organized April 4, 1892, although he was the
youngest member, on account of his wide knowd-
edge of parliamentary law, he was made the



president of that body, in which capacity he
served eight terms of one year each. He served
two terms of four years each in the select council,,
after which he retired, and although his name
has been mentioned at different times for various-
positions has always declined to serve. He has
always evinced a decided fondness for literary
work, and has contributed many articles relating
to his profession and otherwise to the leading
journals of the day. He was for a number of
years the dramatic critic of the Hazleton Senti-
nel, and his articles written under the nom-de-
plume of "The Man with the Opera Glass" have
gained him an enviable reputation in this line.
He was also a staff correspondent of a number
of musical journals. He is a member of the In-
dependent Order of Odd Fellows, No. 65, Hazle-
ton ; Patriotic Order Sons of America, Washing-
ton Camp, No. 90, of Hazleton ; and Hazleton
Council, No. 408, Junior Order of United
American Mechanics. Dr. Casselberry is a fluent
German scholar.

Dr. Casselberry married. June 29, 1898, Marie
Leigh Johns, daughter of George and Ann Johns,
the former named, a retired coal operator of
Wales, England. Mr. and Mrs. Johns are the
parents of seven children, namely : Annie, wife
of Moses Owens, of Hazleton ; Elizabeth ; Char-
lotte, wife of John Boyer, of Easton. Pennsylva-
nia ; Carrie, wife of Elmer H. Lawall, of Wilkes-
Barre, Pennsylvania ; Marie, wife of Dr. Cassel-
berry ; Amy, wife of Harry Lee Taft, of Chicago,
Illinois ; and George, Jr., of Chalfonte, Penn-
sylvania.

HENRY P. SMITH. One of those natural-
ized citizens of foreign birth of whom Lacka-
wanna county has reason to be proud is Henry
P. Smith, of Dunmore. Through both his par-
ents Mr. Smith is of pure German descent, com-
ing of a stock than which there is none better for .
making good citizens.

George Smith was born in Germany and was
a blacksmith by trade. In 1865 he emigrated to-
the United States and settled in Petersburg,
Pennsylvania, where he worked successfully at
his trade. He purchased four lots on which he
built a fine dwelling house. He married Anna
E. Henrich, also a native of Germany, and of
the eleven children born to them five are now

living: Elizabeth, married Yuenklatt ;

Lena, married Yuenklatt ; Philip ; Henry

P., mentioned hereafter : and Susanna, married

Butler. Mr. Smith, the father, was a man

not merely successful in worldly matters, but
also much respected. The family were accompa-



472



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



nied in their emigration by Charles Henrich, a
brother of Mrs. Smith. He was a landscape
gardener, and was employed by the Albright
family, by whom he was much respected. He
subsequently became an inmate of the Archibald
family, with whom he remained until the time
of his death. He was a man of real worth and
genuine refinement.

Henry P. Smith, son of George and Anna E.
(Henrich) Smith, was born April, 1849, i" Ger-
many, and was educated in his native land, where
he learned the cabinetmaker's trade. In 1865 he
accompanied his parents to the United States, and
after their settlement at Petersburg attended
school and made himself familiar with the lan-
guage of his adopted country. He entered the
service of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western
Company as patternmaker, and at the end of six
months was transferred to assist in the erection
of the company's foundry building. He was en-
gaged upon this until 1870, when he returned to
his trade. In 1872 he again entered the service
of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Com-
pany, this time in the coach-building department.
His superior judgment and perfect knowledge of
the trade procured for him the position of assist-
ant foreman of the coach and sleeper department
in 1876. In 1883 he took entire charge of the
coach shop, and in i88g was promoted to the
position of general foreman of the coach and
sleeper shop, which office he now holds. Mr.
Smith is active as a citizen, and has served his
town as member of the town council. He be-
longs to the Lackawanna Beneficent Society, and
the I. O. O. F., in which he has held the office
of secretary. Politically he is a staunch Repub-
lican. He is a member of the Lutheran Church.

Mr. Smith married in 1873, Anna Willner,
and ten children have been born to them, five of
whom are living : Anna, wife of E. Robertson ;
Henry F., Minnie, Robert, and Leonora. In one
of the houses owned by Mr. Smith he has made
his home, which is a very attractive one, and
since the death of his father has been the owner
of the old family residence. Mrs. Smith is the
daughter of Julius Willner, who was a house
painter and decorator in New York. In 1855 '^^
moved to Pennsylvania. His wife, Kate Willner,
bore him six children, five of whom are living :
William, Anna, who became the wife of Henry
P. Smith, as mentioned above ; Julius, Frederick,
and Kate. ]\Ir. Willner, the father of the family,
was a man much looked up to in whatever com-
munity he might reside, and while living in
Scranton was at one time a member of the school
board.



HENRY C. TRIPP. Among those well-
known and respected residents of Lackawanna
county whose names have become part of the his-
tories of the communities in which they resided,
Henry C. Tripp, for many years a leading citizen
of Scott township, is remembered with sincere
regret and cordial esteem. Mr. Tripp came of
worthy ancestry, tracing his descent from New
England pioneer stock.

James Tripp was born in Rhode Island and
was one of the early settlers in the Wyoming
Valley, where he was a prominent and well-to-
do farmer. He finally disposed of his property
in the Wyoming Valley and bought seventy-five
acres of land in Scott township. In politics he
was an adherent of the Republican party. His
religious faith was that of the Baptist denomina-
tion. He married Melantha May, also a native
of Rhode Island, and their children were :
George, Dexter, Theodore, Henry C, mentioned
hereafter : James, Electa, Nancy, Martha, Har-
riet, Helen and Sarah. All these children were
born in Scott township, and of the whole num-
ber only James and Electa are now living.

Henry C. Tripp, fourth child of James and
Alelantha (May) Tripp, was born March 17,
1839, in Scott township, where he was reared
and educated. As a young man he engaged in
the lumber business, but on the breaking out of
the Civil war responded to the call to arms sent
forth by the government. He enlisted as a pri-
vate August 22, 1861, in Company C, Fifty-
fourth Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Infan-
try, for three years' service. During this time
he participated in all the battles in which his
regiment was engaged, and was promoted to the
rank of first orderly sergeant for valiant conduct
in the face of an advancing foe. He was honor-
ably discharged with the rank of sergeant, July
28, 1864. On his return to civil life Mr. Tripp
became identified with the Jermyn powder mills,
where for fifteen years he held the position of
engineer. He resigned this office and purchased
the old Tripp homestead in Scott township, which
became his home for the remainder of his life.
He was a member of Waverlv Lodge, No. 301

F. and A. M., and of the I. O. O. F. and the

G. A. R. His political affiliations were with the
Republicans, and he was a member of the Methn-
dist Episcopal Church.

Mr. Tripp married, October 21, 1867, Cather-
ine, daughter of Laban and Lavinia Bell, and the
following: children were born to them : Carrie,
Flora, Harry G., Lavinia, and Minnie, wife of
Oscar Brown, and the mother of three children :
Mildred M., Arthur H. and Ralph. The death



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



473



of Air. Tripp occurred in 189 1, while he was yet
in the prime of life, being but fifty-two years of
age. The loss was an irreparable one to his
family and a severe one to the community, to
whom he had ever set the example of a consci-
entious man, a good neighbor and a loyal citizen.
In 1899 his widow exchanged the homestead in
Scott township for a farm of fifty acres in South
Abington township.

JOSIAH BROWN. Prominent among the
substantial farmers of South Abington township
is Josiah Brown, of Chinchilla. The grandfather
■of Mr. Brown, who was a native of Massachu-
setts, was a sea captain and lost his life during
one of his voyages.

James M. Brown, son of Captain Brown
above mentioned, was born in New York state
and married Lydia Kilmer, a native of the same
state. They were the parents of thirteen chil-
■dren, four of whom are living : Josiah, men-
tioned hereafter ; Bli, Diana, married

Ackerly ; and Mary Ann, wife of Gid-

-dings, of Pittston. Mr. Brown, the father of the
family, died in 1862. He was a worthy and
much respected man, and his widow, who passed
away in 1865, was esteemed and loved by all who
Ttnew her.

Josiah Brown, son of James M. and Lydia
(Kilmer) Brown, was born November 16, 1828,
in Columbia county. New York. On the second
anniversary of his birth his parents moved to
Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, and settled be-
tween Dunmore and Providence, on a small farm
of forty acres. On this farm Mr. Brown was
reared, attending the district school, and receiv-
ing at home that thorough training in agricult-
ural pursuits which contributed so largely to his
success in after life. In 1866 he purchased the
farm which has since been his home and which
Tjears witness in all its appointments to the in-
dustry and enlightenment of the owner. The
land is well-tilled and fertile, its products com-
manding the highest market price. As a citizen
no less than as a farmer Mr. Brown's example is
-worthy of emulation. His interest in communitv
afifairs is unflagging and his efforts to promote
the public welfare constant and unwearied. He
and his wife are members of the Baptist Church.
Mr. Brown married, August 16, 1858, Polly
Johnson, and three children were born to them :
Arminda, deceased ; Franklin, married Nellie
Johnson ; and Viola, wife of Holgate.

Mrs. Brown is a granddaughter of Owney
Johnson, a native of Rhode Island, who in 1826
migrated to Pennsylvania and settled in South



Abington township, where he purchased four
hundred acres of land. This land was subse-
quently divided among his children. He mar-
ried a Miss Colvin, and their children were :
Horace, Rhodes, Owney, Warren, Manson, Oli-
ver, Franklin, mentioned hereafter ; Eliza, Lydia,
Abby and Susan. This large family did much to
recruit the ranks of the loyal and useful citizens
of the county, and their descendants are today
among the foremost residents of South Abington
township.

Franklin Johnson, son of Owney Johnson,
was born April 23, 1803, in Rhode Island, and
married, April 11, 1833, Julia Ann White. Their
i children were : Emily, born 1834 ; Polly, born
1836, in South Abington township, became the
wife of Josiah Brown, as mentioned above ;
Alvah, born 1839; Irene, born 1841, deceased;
Henry, born 1845, deceased; Julia Ann, born
1848; Franklin C., born 1854; Delphine, born
1855, and Alma, born 1857. The death of Mr.
Johnson, the father of the family, occurred in
1869. He was a man who in all the relations of
life was generally and deservedly esteemed. His
widow, who was born in 1815, in Delaware
county. New York, is still living at the very ad-
vanced age of eighty-nine years, blessed in the
love and veneration of her children and grand-
children.

EDWARD J. FALLON. It would be diffi-
cult to find throughout the length and breadth of
Lackawanna county a more popular man than
Edward J. Fallon, of Old Forge. He is one of
those Irish-American citizens of whom to their
honor be it recorded there are manv who are
equally loyal to their two homes ; the land to
w^hich thev are bound by ties of blood and that
to which they are linked by the fact of birth and
the obligations of citizenship.

John William Fallon was born in county Ros-
common, Ireland, and in 1848 emigrated to the
L'nited States. After living for a time in Scran-
ton he moved to Old Forge, where he passed the
remainder of his life. For a number of years he
engaged successfully in mining, and subsequently
opened a general store in Old Forge. In this
enterprise he prospered and became possessed of
considerable means. He was active as a citizen,
and held at one time the office of supervisor of
the township, and for several years served as
school director. During his mining experience
he sunk the L. H. McClure shaft in a manner
entirely satisfactory to the company. He married
Mary Conlon, a native of county Mayo, Ireland,
whose emigration to the United States had taken



474



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



place the same year as his own. Mr. and Mrs.
Fallon were the parents of the following chil-
dren : Edward J., mentioned hereafter ; William,
Patrick J., also mentioned hereafter ; Matthew,
Joseph, Henry, Margaret A., Mary J., John R.,
Charlotte, and Elisia. Mr. Fallon died in 1890.
He was a man whose native worth and ability
caused his influence to be felt in the community.
He was respected by all, and as a business man
enjoyed the highest reputation for integrity. Mrs.
Fallon survived her husband a number of years,
passing away in 1903. She was endeared by her
many estimable traits of character to all who
knew her.

Edward J. Fallon, son of John William and
]\Iary (Conlon) Fallon, was born November 5,
1854, in Old Forge, and was educated in the
schools of his birthplace. His first work was in
and around the mines where he was employed in
various capacities until 1884, at which time he
decided to abandon that field of labor. In 1879
he erected a building which he opened as a hotel,
assuming proprietorship himself. His success
was such that at the end of five years he re-
signed all other occupations in order to devote
himself exclusively to his duties as a host. He
has at various times been obliged to enlarge the
building in order to accommodate his growing
])atronage. His hotel is one of the principal stop-
ping-places between Pittston and Scranton, and
is a great resort for the farmers of the surround-
ing country on their way to the Scranton market
with their produce. His establishment is in all
respects admirably conducted, and its popularity
is owing in no small measure to its courteous and
genial host. Mr. Fallon is a worthy citizen, tak-
ing a keen interest in all that pertains to the wel-
fare of the community and ever ready to bear
his part in every public-spirited enterprise. He
is a member of the C. M. B. A. Society.

;\Ir. Fallon married in 1876, Mary, daughter
of James Clark, and their children were : John,
Nellie, Mamie, Jennie, James, Henry, Edward,
deceased ; Theodore, deceased ; Anna, deceased ;
and Gertrude. In 1893 Mr. Fallon and his chil-
dren were deeply afflicted bv the death of the
wife and mother. On July 7, 1901, Mr. Fallon
married Mrs. Florence B. Glassenger, widow of
Clarence V. Glassenger.

Patrick J. Fallon, son of John William and
Mary (Conlon) Fallon, was born in 1857, '"
Old Forge, and received his education in the
.schools of that borough. All his life he has been
identified with the production of coal, having
filled almost every position in the mines. For
twenty-five years he was in the service of the



L. H. IMcClure Company, and during that period
filled the position of engineer for seven years and
that of foreman for sixteen years. He is now
foreman for the Jermyn Company at shaft No. I,
where he has under his control two hundred and
fifty men and directs the course of afifairs in such
a manner as to produce the best possible results.
As a citizen he commands the sincere respect and
cordial esteem of the entire community. Mr.
Fallon married in 1877, Kate Gallagher, a native
of Old Forge, and they are the parents of the
following children : John, William, Chatty,
Mary, Kate, and Charlotte. Mr. Fallon is the
owner of a pleasantly situated and attractive
home.

DAVID J. DAVIS. Among the most expe-
rienced miners and respected citizens of Lacka-
wanna county is David J. Davis, of Old Forge.
He is a Welshman both by birth and parentage,
possessing in a marked degree those characteris-
tics which have given to his countrymen such
success and influence in their home in the new
world.

John Davis was born in Wales and married
Ann Isaac, a native of the same country. Of
the eight children born to them five are living:
David J., mentioned hereafter ; Milcah, Owen,
Shem and James. Of this number David J. was
the only one to leave his native land and seek a
home across the sea.

David J. Davis, son of John and Ann (Isaac)
Davis, was born January 26, 1845, in Whales,
where he worked in the mines, holding one of the
most responsible positions, that of fire-boss. In
1879 he emigrated to the United States, arriving
in Plymouth, in the Wyoming Valley, on July
28 of that year. There for four years he made
his home and in 1883 moved to Old Forge. At
both places he was continuously engaged in min-
ing. He was for thirteen years with the Jermyn
Company at shaft No. i. For fifty-one years in
all he has been a successful miner and has never
met with a serious accident. During his resi-
dence in Old Forge he has erected three houses,
a fact which testifies to his financial prosperity.
As a citizen he possesses the fullest confidence of
his neighbors, by whom he has been chosen coun-
cilman of Old Forge borough and also judge of
elections. He belongs to the Knights of Labor,
in which organization he has held the office of
treasurer. Politically he is a strong Republican.
He is a member of the Primitive Methodist
Church, in which he held the office of treasurer
and the doctrines of which he strenuously U[)-
holds.



THE WYOMING AND LACKAWANNA VALLEYS.



475



Mr. Davis married in 1877, Alary Jones, born
in Wales, February 15, 1849, and three sons have
been born to them: Edward; John (i), de-
ceased; and John (2). Of these Edward, bom
February 15, 1879, married Rose Hill, and they
have two children : David, born December 30,
1898; and Garfiield, born August 20, 1902.

Mr. Davis had an uncle, David Davis, who in
185 1 emigrated to the United States. He was an
experienced miner and prospered in his chosen
vocation. He died in this country, leaving three
daughters, who are still in the United States :
Esther (Mrs. Irkley), Anna (Airs. Lloyd), and
Ruth (Mrs. Getsinger).

BYRON F. AKERLEY. Among the many
professions in which men engage none requires
more skill and ability than the legal profession, of
which Byron F. Akerley, a well known and
highly respected citizen of South Abington town-
ship, is a representative. He was born in the
vicinity of his present home, April 2, 1844, a son
of Isaac T. and Mary A. (Leach) Akerley.

The paternal grandfather of Byron F. Aker-
ley was a native of New York state, removing
from thence to Pennsylvania shortly after the
birth of his son Isaac T. His wife, whose
maiden name was Elizabeth Townsend, and
whose birth also occurred in the state of New
York, bore him a family of twelve children, as
follows : Eliza, married J. Leach ; Justus ; Xancy,
married James Griffin ; Mary, married S. Camp ;
Catherine, married H. Reichard ; Jane, married
a Mr. Rollands ; Olive, married E. Snyder ;
Laura, married Levi Townsend ; Hiram. Isaac,
Ada, unmarried ; and Elsie, also unmarried.

Ephraim Leach, maternal grandfather of
Byron F. Akerley, was a native of Connecticut
and migrated to Pennsylvania in the latter part
of the eighteenth century, settling at what is now
Chinchilla. He purchased four hundred acres of
land in its primitive state, and in due course of
time this became under his judicious manage-
ment one of the best cultivated and most produc-
tive farms in that section of the state. He mar-
ried Elizabeth Fellows, born in Warwickshire,
England, in 1784, and their children were as fol-
lows : Joseph, Elizabeth, Benjamin, Ebenezer,
Layton, Henry, Lydia, Morrow, Sarah Oster-
haut, Jane Tinkham. Ephraim Leach, after a
long and useful life, died in 1 851. at the age of
eighty years, having survived his wife, who
passed away in 1847.

Isaac T. Akerley, father of Byron F. Akerley,
was born in Westchester county. New York, in
1804. Here he was reared and educated, and in



1828 changed his place of residence to South
Abington township, Pennsylvania, where he pur-
chased a farm of three hundred acres which he
tilled and enriched, and the product therefrom
yielded him a goodly income with which to pro-
vide the necessaries and comforts of life for him-
self and family. He accumulated considerable of
the goods of this world, and wielded an influence
for good in the community. His religious views
were in accord with the doctrines of the Metho-
dist Episcopal Church, and he was firm in his
advocacy of the principles of Republicanism. He
married Mary A, Leach, born in South Abing-
ton, Pennsvlvania, 1806. Their children are :
Albert I., 'j\Irs. Elizabeth Keller, Airs. B. A.
Beemer and Byron F. The father of these chil-
dren died in October, 1882, aged seventy-eight
years; his widow survived him until 1891, pass-
ing away at the age of eighty-five years.

Byron F. Akerley received his preliminary
education in the common schools, and later pur-
sued advanced studies at Kingston Academy. He
then took up the study of law under the precep-
torship of Hon. H. Al. Edwards, and after a suc-
cessful competitive examination was admitted to
the Lackawanna county bar in 1880. Since then
he has been in successful practice, and his vast
knowledge of legal lore has gained for him an
extensive clientage ; his office is located in Scran-
ton, but he resides in South Abington township,
where he owns and superintends a farm of
eightv-five acres of highly productive land. In
addition to his professional duties Air. Akerley is
the incumbent of the office of justice of the peace,
performing successful work in that position for
a period of fifteen consecutive years. He is a
member of Waverly Lodge, No. 301, Free and
Accepted Alasons, and Electric Star Lodge, No.
490, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

Air. Akerley married, November, 1866, Sarah
Clark, daughter of George W. and Ellen (Nel-
son) Clark, and five children were the issue, two
of whom are living: Bradford I. and Imogene,
wife of H. C. Down.

J. H. PRESTWOOD. There is no better
augury for the financial prosperity of a commu-
nity than the character of its younger business
men. When these are enterprising, sagacious
and of strict integrity the outlook is full of prom-
ise. Lackawanna county is rich in men of this
class, and among them J. H. Prestwood, of Tay-
lor, has a recognized standing.

William Prestwood was born in England and
was by occupation a miner. In 1881 he came to
the United States and settled in Dauphin county.



Online LibraryHorace Edwin HaydenGenealogical and family history of the Wyoming and Lackawanna Valleys, Pennsylvania; (Volume 2) → online text (page 98 of 130)