1149437 , ^
^ ALLEN COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY
3 1833 01418 8848
Ensign John Moor
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
CANTERBURY, N. H.
Born 1696— Died 1786
By HOWARD P. MOORE
THE TUTTLE COMPANY, Publishers
Qltfr Matblt CUttg l^rtBB
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Ownership record and number of this copy 3
Author 's statement 7
Ready Reference list, first three generations 8
Longevity list, Moore descendants over 80 years 10
Chapter I, England — Moore family and arms 13
Chapter II, Origin of Samuel Moor, Mariner 16
Chapter III, Samuel Moor, Mariner, in Portmouth 25
Mary, wife of Samuel Moor, Mariner, . 35
Cj Chapter IV, Col. Samuel Moore of Portsmouth 39
SO Chapter V, The Sias family 43
Chapter VI, John Sias of Wells, Dover and Durham 46
*N Roberts-Pitman ancestry of Hannah Sias . . 51
Chapter VII, John Moor in Durham 55
1 Early Moore locations in Canterbury (with
Chapter VIII, Ensign John Moor in Canterbury 68
The Moore cave 68
:,\ Hackett-Moor agreement 76
M Chapter IX, Lt. William Moore 81
r Chapter X, Col. Archelaus Moore 89
\^ Chapter XI, Capt. Samuel Moore 98
>y Samuel Moore tavern 100
\ Chapter XII, Nathaniel Moore 106
Capt. Henry Elkins and Mary Moore 110
Family record, blank pages 113
Section A, Descendants Lt. William Moore 125
Section B, Descendants Col. Archelaus Moore 165
Section C, Descendants Capt. Samuel Moore 219
Section D, Descendants Nathaniel Moore 267
Bennett family 269
Howard P. Moohe.
A WORD TO THE OTHER DESCENDANTS
This book records what has been collated relating to Sam-
uel Moor, Mariner in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, in 1696, and
to all of his descendants. He had but two children of whom we
have any knowledge, John and Samuel. The latter died with-
out issue and this work has to do with the offspring of John,
who in 1727, as a citizen of Durham, N. H., was a Grantee of
the new town of Canterbury, N. H., and one of its first settlers.
The posterity of John have been pursued into nearly every
state of the Union and even across the sea. That some have
eluded discovery should not be laid to a lack of diligence on
the part of the compiler. The absence of vital statistics in
many towns in New Hampshire and other states, the compara-
tively few people of good memories now living, the indifference
of many descendants of the present generation and, finally, the
reaching of that unprofitable situation where a ton of straw is
threshed over again for a grain of wheat; all have contributed
to the final closing of the search and laying before the descend-
ants the result.
It is probable, however, that of those descended from John
Moor fully 95% who have lived and died or are still living are
A labor of love is careless of time. It is fifteen years
since the work was actively begun. As the vizualization and
reconstruction of the lives of our ancestors proceeded, a feeling
of responsibility gripped me. The wealth of material should
be placed, at whatever personal financial cost, in the hands of
the living offspring of John and Hannah Moor. The large
aggregate preparatory expense has been cheerfully borne and
the price of the book has been fixed at about half the ascertained
cost of printing and binding alone.
H. P. M.
56 Cedar St., New York, January, 1918.
The Descendants of
READY REFERENCE LIST
Children and grandchildren of Ensign John Moor, b. 1696, d.
1786, and of Hannah Sias, his wife, b. 1700, d. 1786.
I. Lieut. William Moore, b. 1720, d. 1804, married "Mar-
gret" and had
1. Agnes, b. 1743, d. young.
2. Sarah, b. 1744, no further record.
3. Elizabeth, b. 1747, m. Nathaniel Glines ; 10 ch.
4. Mary, b. 1749, d. young,
5. Lydia, b. 1752, d. young.
6. Capt. Joseph, b. 1754, m. Elisabeth Whidden ; 11 ch.
7. William, Jr., b. 1757, m. cousin, Mary Moore ; 7 ch.
8. Susannah, b. 1759, no further record.
9. Janne, b. 1764, m. Nathaniel Whidden; 8 ch.
II. Col. Archelaus Moore, b. 1722, d. 1798, m. Hannah El-
kins : 4 ch.
1. Hannah, b. 1746, possibly m. a Clough.
2. John Jr., b, 1748, m. Abia Stevens ; 13 ch.
3. Elkins, b. 1751, d. young.
4. Abigail, b. 1754, m. Capt. Benjamin Sias; 8 ch.
III. Elizabeth Moore, b. 1724. No further record.
IV. Capt. Samuel Moore, b. 1726, d. 1776, married (1st)
Joanna ; (2nd) Susannah Webster and had
1. Samuel, Jr., b. 1751, m. Mary ; 1 ch.
2. Joanna, b. 1754, m. Obadiah Mooney ; no eh.
3. Elkins, b. 1756, m. — ; 1 ch.
4. Mary, b. 1759, m. William Moore, her cousin, above.
5. Thomas, b. 1761, m. Comfort Perkins; 9 ch.
6. Hannah, b. 1763, no further record.
7. Archelaus, b. 1766, m. Elizabeth Marden ; 1 ch.
8. John, Jr., b. 1769, m. Hannah Morrill ; 4 ch.
9. Reuben, b. 1770, m. Nancy Hall, 9 ch.
10. Susannah, b. 1775; m. Abiel Foster; 11 ch.
11. Stephen, b. 1776, m. Phebe Kimball; 12 ch.
Ensign John Moor
V. Sarah Moore, b. 1729. No further record.
VI. Nathaniel Moore, b. 1733, d. 1817, m. Eliz. Morrill ; 9 ch.
1. Ezekial, b. 1763, m. (1st) Alice Morrill, (2nd)
Mary Merrill; 11 ch.
2. John, b. 1765, m. Tabitha Davis; 6 eh.
3. Jonathan, b. 1775, m. SaWy Glines ; 4 ch.
4. Da\dd, b. 1779, m. Hannah Buswell; 7 ch.
5. Elizabeth, b. , m. Joseph Bennett; 9 ch.
6. , b. , m. "Danford" (Moses Danforth?)
7. , b. , dau., lived to great age.
8. Abigail, b. , not married.
9. Nathaniel, Jr., b. , m. Mary ; 3 ch.
VII. Hannah Moore, b. 1737. No further record.
VIII. Mary Moore, b. 1740, d. 1812, m. Capt. Henry Elkins;
1. Hannah, b. 1758, m. Josiah Marston; 3 ch.
2. Mary, b. 1760, m. Nathaniel Leavitt ; 4 ch.
3. Sarah, b. 1764, m. James Sanborn; 4 ch.
4. Henry, b. 1766, unmarried.
5. Abigail, b. 1768, unmarried.
6. Jeremiah, b. 1770, m. Mary Batchelder ; 5 ch.
7. Joanna, b. 1772, m. John Perkins ; 9 ch.
8. Betty, b. 1774, m. Stephen and Jacob Coffin.
9. John, b. 1777, m. Millie Brown; 1 ch.
10. Thomas, b. 1780, m. Lydia Marston ; 6 ch.
11. Jonathan, b. 1783, m. Joanna Drew ; 9 ch.
217 descendants in 3 generations.
10 The Descendants of
Moore descendants reaching the age of 80 years.
Ensign John^ Moore, 90 years.
Hannah, his wife, 90 years.
William^ Moore line :
William^ Moore 85
Elizabeth" (Moore) Glines 100
Jeremiah^ Glines 89
Sophia^ (Glines) Meacham 81
AsheP Glines 82
Emily'' (Glines) Healey 81
Elizabeth^ (Glines) Sias 84
Mary M.« (Dane) Wheelock 91
Betsey^ (Dane) Hayes 84
NathanieP Dane 80
Sophia G.^ (Meacham) Meacham 80
Caroline^ (Flood) Huston 82
Joseph* Moore 81
Sally^ Moore 81
Nancy^ (Moore) Doe 85
Hannah^ Moore 91
Jane* (Moore) Whidden 83
Anna Jane® (Thompson) Prescott 92
Sally® (Whidden) Huckins 92
Margaret Ann'^ (Whidden) Piper 80
Pitts William® Whidden 83
Cyrus^ Moore 86
SamueP Moore line:
Sarah T.® (Moore) Smith 83
Stephen^ Moore 92
James D.® Moore 89
Samuel E.® Moore 82
Albert C.® Moore 81
Sylvanus C.® Moore 80
Joseph Morrill® Moore 82
Hiram G.^ Moore 80
Jacob KimbalP Moore 84
Sarah Sawyer^ Moore 90
Martha K.^ (Moore) Cogswell 93-
Ensign John Moor 11
Arehelaus^ Moore line:
Hannah'' (Moore) Hill nearly 100
Jacob* Moore 86
Martha* (Moore) Osgood-Osborn 83
William* Moore 84
Sally* (Moore) Currier 90