Hyde Park Hyde Park historical society.

Hyde Park historical record (Volume 1) online

. (page 1 of 18)
Online LibraryHyde Park Hyde Park historical societyHyde Park historical record (Volume 1) → online text (page 1 of 18)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Qass
Book







HYDE PARK

O^ RECKiVED Hr/



/^. RECKiVED «J-i

FEB 4 -1904



J^mODlGM.^



HISTORICAL RECORD.



VOL. III. APRIL, 1903. NO. I.



WILLIAAl A. MOWRY, EDITOR.



PUBLISHED BY

THE HYDE PARK HISTORICAL SOCIETY

IIYDE PARK, MASS.



COMMITTEE ON PUBLICATION:

William A. Mowry,
Fred L. Johnson.

Frank B. Rich.

AJl communications should, be ad-
dressed to William A. Mowry, Editor,
17 Riverside Square, Hyde Park,
Massachusetts.







< =






HYDE PARK



HISTORICAL RECORD.



VOL. III. APRIL, 1903. NO. I.



WILLIAM A. MOWRY, EDITOR.



PUBLISHED BV

THE HYDE PARK HISTORICAL SOCIETY,

HYDE PARK, MASS.



fforeworb.



'X'HE Hyde Park Historical Record was first published as a
* Quarterly, in 1891 and continued through 1892 and into
1893. It was then discontinued. The time appears to have come
when it should be revived, and for the present it will be issued
only as a Year Book. In this form it will contain as much matter
as if it appeared quarterly, and will probably be quite as satis-
factory to its readers.

The present issue will without doubt be found of considerable
interest to the good people of this town. It contains a variety of
matter relating to the history of the town and its inhabitants.
The Society is growing, its meetings are interesting and vigorous,
and its library is considerable. Its present quarters in the Public
Library Building are cheerful and inviting. It is hoped that many
more of our good people will become members and help to
increase its usefulness and the growth and development of our
Town.



contents.



Henry B. Miner

Charles G. Chick

William A. Mowry

William A. Mowry



The Hyde Park Public Library,

The Hyde Park High School,

The Young Men's Christian Association,

Stephen Erewer Balkam,

John S. Bleakie.

Wallace Dean Lovell, - - -

Benjamin F. Radford, _ . - -

Albert G. Wot^DEN, . . - -

Editorial — Local Historical Societies.

William McKinley, (Poem) - Charles Stiirtevatit, M. D.

Summary of the Society's Proceedings, - Fred L. Johrison

Sketch of the Hyde Park Historical Society, Charles G. Chick

History of Stony Brook in Hyde Park and

Boston, - - - George L. Richardson



Charles G. Chick
Charles G. Chick
Charles G. Chick



The Trescott Family,

Franklin Stone, . - . _

The Old Trescott House,

Hyde Park Streets and Street Names,

Vital Statistics of Hyde Park,



Charles F. Jenney

Ehna A. Stone

- Elma A. Stone

Frank B. Rich

Edwin C. yemiey



Ullustrations,



Hyde Park Public Library.
Hyde Park High School Building.
Hyde Park Y. M. C. A. Building.
Portrait of Stephen B. Balkam.
Portrait of John S. Bleakie.
Portrait of Wallace D. Lovell.
Portrait of Franklin Stone.
Portrait of Mrs. Franklin Stone.
The Old Trescott House.



Zhc Ib^be li^ark {Public Xibrar^.



TJcnrs 33. /n^iujc.



A T a town meeting held in 1871, a committee of nine was

appointed to inaugurate a movement in favor of a Free

Public Library for Hyde Park. As the result of their energetic

efforts great public interest was aroused and about $6000 was

raised as a Library Fund.

In their report presented at the annual town meeting in 1872,
they gave a detailed account of their labors, and recommended
that the Board of Selectmen, the School Committee, the Town
Treasurer, and the Town Clerk be appointed a committee to
nominate a Library Board. In consequence of this action, the
following trustees were elected, the majority of whom had been
members of the original library committee.

Theodore D. Weld, Rev. Isaac H. Gilbert, Rev. Perley B.
Davi.s, Rev. E. A. Manning, Edmund M. Lancaster, Hobart M.
Cable, Rev, W. J. Corcoran. Mrs. Mary H. Hunt, and E. S.
Hathaway. Mrs. Hunt declined to serve and C, W. W. Wellington
was chosen in her place. Upon them devolved the task of
creating a Library, purchasing books, selecting a librarian, and
finding suitable quarters.

The first librarian was William E. Foster, then a recent
graduate of Brown University, who for many years past has
been widely and favorably known as the efficient head of the
public library at Providence, R, I., where he has gained credit for
his ability and success in making the library available and useful
to all, especially to the schools.

Upon his resignation after two years of service, the Library
was temporarily in charge of Mr. J. J. Reeves, who was followed
later in the same year by Mrs. H. A. B. Thompson, who remained
in charge for about twenty years. During her long term of



6 HISTORICAL RECORD

service she saw the Library, whose interests she had so much at
heart, nearly treble its number of volumes and greatly increase its
circulation. She was a wide reader, of excellent taste and judg-
ment, who was able to render the trustees valuable assistance in
the selection of books, and to give good counsel to such patrons of
the Library as consulted her as to their choice of reading.

She was followed in 1896 by Miss Elizabeth Ainsworth, a
graduate of Mt. Holyoke, who had been lor some years engaged in
teaching. She brought to her work great energy and efficiency.
Miss Mary A. Hawley was permanently employed as assistant
librarian in 1883, ^^'^ by her uniform courtesy and helpfulness
won the regard and good will of everyone who had occasion to use
the Library during her term of service which continued until her
death, Feb. 23, 1901. As a token of the high esteem in which
she was held, the patrons of the Library, by voluntary subscriptions
from old and young, caused a bronze tablet to be erected to her
memory in the delivery room.

Her place was filled by the election of Miss Nellie A. Stone,
who had already had experience ir the library at Windsor, Vt.

At the opening of the new building in 1899, Miss Gertrude
L. Adams, a graduate of the High School, was placed in charge of
the juvenile room, where she has displayed great skill and tact.

The Library was first opened in March, 1874, in the westerly
end of the second story of the brick block at the corner of
West River Street, and what was then called Hyde Park Avenue,
now known as Harvard Avenue. In 1883 it was removed to the
westerly end of the second story of the brick block, nearly
opposite its first quarters and adjoining the Episcopal Church.
These rooms which seemed ample at first were soon outgrown,
and the space required for books gradually encroached upon the
reading room.

After long and patient effort on the part of the Trustees and
others interested in the welfare of the library, the town voted an
appropriation of $25,000 in December, 1898, and instructed the
Trustees to erect a building at the corner of Harvard avenue and
Winthrop street. Subsequently, the Trustees also received a
generous gift of $10,000 from Mr. Henry S. Grew. Before the
building was begun, the town voted $6,500 for the purchase of



THE HYBE PARK PUBLIC LIBRARY 7

additional land and still later ^2500 for furniture and fixtures.
With these sums and the Library fund already in their hands the
Committee erected the Library building, which was opened to the
public in September, 1899.

This building stands on a lot containing 20,oco square feet
which is slightly elevated above the surrounding streets. The
land is bounded 200 feet by Harvard avenue, 100 feet by Winthrop
street and 100 feet by Everett street. It has been greatly
beautified by trees and shrubs, as well as by a hedge which
surrounds it.

The foundation is of hammered Deer Isle granite and the
walls are of gray Roman brick, with terra cotta trimmings. The
inside finish is of oak, with the exception of that in the main
reading room.

The outside dimensions of the main building are 43 x 81 feet,
with a stack room in the rear 20 x 47 feet. The basement, which
is high, well lighted, and free from dampness, has, beside the
boiler-room and toilet-room, three large rooms, one of which is
used for a work-room, and the other two for storage purposes.

The first floor contains an entrance hall 28 feet in height
with a mosaic floor, oak panelling with Tennessee marble base,
and an oak staircase ; the delivery room, 20 by 40 feet ; the
juvenile room, 28 x 30 feet ; a librarian's room ; toilet rooms, and
the main reading room, 28 x 40 feet, and 28 feet in height. This
room is finished in the colonial style, having Corinthian pillars
and entablature with ceiling beams. At one end is a large fire-
place, with Sienna marble facings, and an oak mantel surmounted
by an oak clock with a marble dial, generously presented by the
Historical Society. The walls are surrounded by oak book-
cases, five feet in height, containing reference books and magazines
for use in the rooms.

The second floor, besides the trustees' room, contains a large
room 28 X 40 feet and 18 feet high, which is used at present by
the Historical Society. "Whenever the increased demands of the
library render it necessary, it can be used as an additional reading
room. This room the Trustees have called '"Weld Hall," in
memory of the late Theodore D. Weld, the associate of Phillips,
Garrison, Whittier, and others of like high purpose. He was



8 HISTORICAL R3CORD

widely known in his earlier years as an eloquent and fearless
friend of the oppressed, while in his declining days, having taken
up his residence among us, he endeared himself to his fellow-
townsmen as a high-minded, public-spirited citizen, zealous in
every good work. To his untiring efforts the Library was greatly
indebted in its infancy.

The stack-room, which is detached from the main building,
from which it is separated by fireproof doors, is practically a
fireproof structure It contains iron book-stacks of the most
approved design. They contain 32,000 volumes, and accommo-
dations for 16,000 more can easi'y be added whenever occasion
demands.

The style of architecture is Grecian Ionic, and great care
was taken to have all the proportions and details conform to the
requirements of the style adopted.

The cost was as follows :

Building, including architect's fee, heating and ventil-
ating ^26,000 00

Land , 12,50000

Bookstacks, furnishing, grading, etc . • • * . 5.995 88

$44,495 88

The building was completed within the amount available, and
there was a small balance on hand after paying all bills.

The building committee consisted of Messrs. William H.
Alles, Amos H. Brainard, George Fred Gridley, Charles F. Jenney
and Henry B. Miner.

The present organization of the Trustees is as follows :

HENRY B. MINER, Chairman.

EDWARD S. HAYWARD, Secretary.
JAMES B. CORTHELL, G. FRED GRIDLEY,

FREDERICK L. JOHNSON, AMOS H. BRAINARD

CHARLES G. CHICK, JOHN W. GRIFFIN,

CHARLES F. JENNEY.



'Sb^v'e park Ibicb !ScbooL



Cbarles O. Cbick.



'T^HE Town of Hyde Park was incorporated April 22, 1S68, and
^ comprised portions of the Towns of Dedtiair., Dorchester and
Milton. To quote from the first annual report of the School Com-
mittee, " there were within what are now its limits eleven public
schools. Four of them were in the Town of Dedham, five in Dor-
chester, and two in Milton." At that time the number of children
between five and fifteen years was 592. The number of all ages in
the Public Schools was 547. There was no High School within
the limits of the new town.

The School Committee however, do not seem to have doubted
the need of High School facilities, or to have been lacking in
enterprise in bringing the matter before the Town

In the warrant for a Town Meeting, held May 18, 1868,
appears Article 10: "To know if the town will establish a High
School and maintain the same during the ensuing year."

The Committee failed to secure favorable action, as the clerk's
record of the meeting shows. Vote " laid upon the table."

No High School having been provided by the Town, the Com-
mittee seem to have let the matter rest until April 5, 1869, when
the Town was again asked to provide for High School Instruction,
under the following article in a Warrant for a Town Meeting of
that date. Art. 9 : " Will the Town authorize the School Com-
mittee to make arrangements with C. M. Barrows for furnishing
High School instruction to such scholars as are prepared for the
same.

The Town voted " to authorize the School Committee to make
such arrangements for High School instruction as they deemed
best."



10 HISTORICAL RECORD

It seems from an examination of the records and reports of
the School Committee that no attempt was made to grade or es-
tablish a system of schools for Hyde Park till the autumn of 1868.
Examinations appear to have been held at that time and ten
pupils were found qualified for High School instruction. After
the passage of the vote of April 5, 1869, the committee's report
shows that ten pupils were sent to the private school of Mr. C. M.
Borrows, at the Town's expense.

The arrangement was short lived. Evidently the Committee
was determined to have a High School in Hyde Park.

Article 4 in a warrant for a Town Meeting, held Oct. 14^
1869, reads, "To see if the Town will authorize the School Com-
mittee to establish a High School, employ a competent teacher
therefor, and furnish the necessary room."

Under this article, voted to authorize the School Com-
mittee to establish a High School, employ a competent teacher,
and furnish the necessary room."

Again, reference to the School Committee's report shows that
in the autumn of 1869, Mr. George M. Fellows, then master of the
school on Fairmount Avenue, was given an assistant, and the High
School pupils were placed in his charge. This record will give
Mr. Fellows the honor of being the first master of Hyde Park's
High School.

From the Fairmount Avenue schoolhouse the High School
was transferred to what is now Liberty Hall, in 1870 or 1871, and
Mr. Samuel Thurber was employed as master, at a salary of $1,700
per annum. Upon the completion of the Grew School building in
1871, the school was moved to the hall in that building, where it
remained until 1874, when by vote of the Town it was placed in
what was then known as the Everett Building, occupying the site
of the present High School. This building came to Hyde
Park with Dorchester's contributions to the new Town. It
contained four rooms, arranged for primary and grammar school
work, and poorly adapted for High School purposes. Changes
were required and repeatedly made in the interior to meet the
needs of the rapidly growing school, but, strive as best the com-
mittee could, the arrangements were such that the school was con-
stantly hampered for want of room and equipments necessary for



THE HYDE PARK HIGH SCHOOL 11

the best results in High School work. In 1889, at an expense of
above $5,000, the building was enlarged by an annex, extending
from the rear of the main building. This addition contained three
more class rooms, but afforded temporary relief.

In 1893 the subject of increased accommodations was again
pressed upon the Town and a new building recommended by the
Committee.

The result oi this effort secured but another addition to the
old structure at an estimated cost of $10,000. With this expendi-
ture the school was accommodated until 1901. when the building
was again over-crowded, and the sanitary condition was very
objectionable.

In the spring of 1901, at a Town Meeting held March 28.
proper articles having been placed in the warrant, the matter of a
new building, to cost $60,000, was brought before the Town for
its action. The School Committee was as a unit in favor of the
proposed action, and to their gratification the Town by an almost
unanimous vote, appropriated the sum asked, and authorized the
School Committee to dispose of the old High School building and
erect a new one upon the same site. The members of the School
Committee at that time were Edward I. Humphrey, Andrew
Washburn, Charles G. Chick, Mrs. Ella F. Boyd, Samuel T. Elliott,
Edward S. Fellows, Wilbur H. Powers, Frank F. Courtney, and
William. G. Colesworthy.

This committee employed Messrs. Loring & Phipps of Boston
as architects, and with these gentlemen arranged the style and
plans for the new building. Mr. G. M. Pratt of Weymouth secured
the contract and began the excavations for the foundations, June
30, 1901. The work went forward steadily and was completed so
that the school assembled in the new building for the first time,
Sept. 22, 1902, although it was not finished until Oct. 3, 1902.
During the period of construction the school was accommodated
at the Grew building. The entire cost of the structure, including
heating and architects fees, was $70,462.51, besides furnishings,
which cost about $6,000.

The new building is designed to accommodate over 500
pupils. It is 146 feet long, 80 feet wide, and three stories high
above the basement. The sub-committee having immediate



12 HISTOHICAL RBCOED

charge of the construction, consisted of Messrs. Powers, Wash-
burn, Chick, Fellows and Colesworthy.

The High School has been well sustained by the Town from
its beginning Its growth has been steady and at times rapid. In
1869 it numbered 16. In 1879, 64 In i884, 108. In 1890,
169. In 1900, 275, and in 1902, 320.

Since the town voted to establish a High School the follow-
ing named gentlemen have served as principals: Geo. M. Fellows,
autumn of 1869; Samuel Thurber, from 1870, to June, 1872;
Frank W. Freeborn. Sept. 1872, to Dec. 1875 ; W. H. Knight, to
June, 1876; John F. Elliot, Sept. 1876, to June, 1889; Jere. M.
Hiil, Sept. 1889, to April, 1896; Wm. H. Angleton, Sept. 1896,
to June, 1899; Merle S. Getchell, from Sept. 1899. to the present
time.

In June, 1873, the committee voted to grant High School
diplomas. The first diplomas to be issued were given to George
W. Rollins, class of 1872, and Misses Agnes S. Adams and Carrie
E. Walker, class of '73 ; these were delivered Nov. 8, 1873.

The course of study has been advanced as the times demanded.
At present, pupils have a choice of four distinct courses. A study
of the school records of the town will show that Hyde Park has
had men in charge of her schools that have spared no pams to
enable the youth of the town to become as well fitted for citizen-
ship as it was possible with the means at hand. It can be said,
and truthfully, that the Town has been generous to its schools,
when all of the necessities of a new and rapidly growing municip-
ality are taken into consideration. If the future shall be as well
cared for, then may our people rest securely upon a well educated
citizenship.



Zbc ^owwi} (^aVe Cbristian Besoctation,



Uimiann a. /Slbowrij.



THE history of this institution is not unlike that of many similar
organizations. It has, however, sorhe unique features, and
the old adage, "All's well that ends well," which is sometimes a
comfort to workers in a good cause during dark days, seems
applicable in this instance.

The Hyde Park Association was organized in Association
Hall, Feb. 2, 1885, and is, therefore, at the present time, a lusty,
healthy, rapidly growing youngster, eighteen years of age. Its
first home was in Neponset Block, Everett Square. At the first
Anniversary, which was celebrated Feb. 28, 1886, its membership
was reported as 95 active and 35 associate members, a total of 130.
Even as early as that it was said, " There is a loud call from our
young men for a gymnasium, which we earnestly desire to add as
soon as our finances will allow."

From the treasurer's report at this first anniversary we learn
that during the year they had received moneys as follows :

Donations, ......... 6i5' 5°

Collections, 3^ 09

Membership fees, 293 00

Lectures and Entertainments, 130 12

Other sources, ........ 20 06

Total ©630 77

Expenditures, 5S9 64

Cash on hand, $4^ '3

From the first annual report we extract the following as to
creed : "As a rule we have no creed, but it has been my pleasure
to visit one Association, which was the Association in Newark,
N. J., which has the following creed : " No debts, and everyone



14 HISTORICAL RECORD

welcome, including those with or without a coat, with or without
friends, with or without money, with or without faith. Strangers
specially welcome and remain as long as they please."

This report also says : — " We are under great obligations to
the ladies who have formed an active auxiliary and have given us
substantial aid beside presenting us with a fine carpet for our
parlors, and otherwise endeavoring to make them attractive.

The officers for the first year were as follows :

President, C. L. ALDEN.
Vice President, C. P. VAUGHAN.
Secretary, I. C. WEBSTER.
Treasurer, JOHN MACKRILL.

It is evident from the brief records that from the first there
was a faithful band of Christian workers and the pastors of the
several Churches were clear-headed and judicious helpers.

The good work went forward with more or less success and
amid many discouragements until the Association obtained a
charter and became a corporation in September, 1896. At a
meeting held Oct. 6, 1896, a charter having been received from
the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, articles forming a code of
by-laws were adopted and proceedings begun as a corporation.

The following were the officers for the first year (1896-7) as
a corporation.

President, GY.O'^GK B. DOWLEY.
Vice President, C. F. LIGHT.
Treeisurer, JULIUS A. CARLISLE.
C/erk, WILLIAM D. WARD.



The directors were :

GEORGE B. DOWLEY,
CHARLES F. LIGHT,
WILLIAM D. WARD,
JULIUS A. CARLISLE.
J ROLAND CORTHELL,



THE YOUNG MEN S CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION 15

CHARLES L. ALDEN,
IRVING C. WEBSTER
ALEX MILLER,
EDWARD S. FELLOWS.
CHARLES W. EMERSON,
ALVAH L. McINTYRE.
GEORGE W. LOCKWOOD.
SAxMUEL T. ELLIOTT,
W. FAYETTE BARTHOLOMEW.

During all these years the Association labored under great
disadvantages for want of proper accommodations. It leased
such rooms as it could find, but unfortunately these were never
suitable for carrying on successfully the needed work of the Asso-
ciation.

A movement was begun several years ago looking toward a
new building with the necessary equipment for the varied work of
the Association. A very desirable lot of sufficient size and well
located was found on East River Street, corner of Winthrop.
Some friends of the Association immediately bonded the lot, and
efforts at once began, looking to the raising of the necessary funds
to pay for it. By personal subscriptions, entertainments, and a
very successful bazar over six thousand dollars in cash was raised,
the lot was pu: chased, paid for, and the deed recorded.

This complete success was largely due to the energy, enter-
prise, and perseverance of the ladies, both of the Auxiliary, and
other societies, and of many acting in their individual capacity.
Then and always since the efforts of the ladies of Hyde Park
have been constant and efficient in behalf of the Association.
From the time when the land was purchased, it has always been
understood that whenever the Association should succeed and get
their new building, ladies should have access to its advantages.

From 1897 to 1899 the affairs of the Association were at a
low ebb. Many good, Christian people felt that it was not accom-
plishing the work that might be expected of such an Association,
and not a few began to feel that an equal amount of work in the
Churches would produce better results. On the other hand a
small but faithful band stood by the Association and clearly



16 HISTORICAL RECORD

perceived that what was needed was a new building with proper
facilities to carry on the work, a well-equipped gymnasium, a
swimming pool, proper reading rooms, and game rooms, class
rooms, hall for lectures and other facilities, and the work for
young men and young women in this community would be
specially successful and important. About this time the friends
of the Association for many months considered very carefully the
constitution and by-laws of this and other Associations. It was
remembered that fully half a century had elapsed since the first
Christian Associations were formed in this country, and that at
that time the denominational fences were much higher than at
present. Then the denominational spirit was much more potent
in the Churches than now. Besides, Church creeds, Church
thought and Church work have decidedly changed. To-day a
broader, more tolerant, less pharisaical spirit pervades the minds
and actions of good Christian people of all denominations. Shib-
boleths and definitions have somewhat changed. There is a grow-
ing regard for the views of others, and a feeling that all truth may
not be on our side. Sometimes we hear the definition that
" Orthodoxy is my-doxy, and heterodoxy is your-doxy."


1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Online LibraryHyde Park Hyde Park historical societyHyde Park historical record (Volume 1) → online text (page 1 of 18)