I. (Isaac) Slater.

Slater's royal national and commercial directory and topography of the counties of Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Norfolk, Oxfordshire, and Suffolk : comprising classi online

. (page 49 of 131)
Online LibraryI. (Isaac) SlaterSlater's royal national and commercial directory and topography of the counties of Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Norfolk, Oxfordshire, and Suffolk : comprising classi → online text (page 49 of 131)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


and Henry Ne^us Burroughs, Esq.; for the Western, William Bagge, Esq. and the Hon. Edward Keppel'
Coke. Norfiilk confers the dignity of Duke upon the ancient, nohle and long-distintjuished fan.ilvof Howaid
Population, &c.— By tlie returns rendered to government in 1841, Norfolk contained 199,101 males, and
213..'Sfi3 females; total, 412,664; exhibiting an increase over the returns of 1831, of 22,610 ii.hdbitattt".— The
aiinnal value of Real Property, in this county, as assessed to the Poor Rales, in 1815, amounted to £1 540 952
and iu 1841, to £1,893,824. » . .



Distance Table of Towns in Norfolk.

The Asterisks {*) attached to the name of a Tonn denote the number of Representatives it returns to Parliament; the ttalt

tetters siytiify the Market Days.

The names of the towns are on the top and side, and the square where both meet gives the distance.

From London,
Attlehorogh, th 93



Aylsham.. ..
Bnrnham Market..

Cley

Cromer

Diss

Downham

East Dereham

Fakenham

Hingham

Holt

Lynn Regis**

North Walsham

Norwich**

Swatfhain

Thettoid**

Walsinghain

Watton

Wells

■Wymondham

Yarmouth **



A vlsham, tu 119

~ Burnham Rlarket 121



16
28
48
33
22
10
30
17
21
31
12 36
30'24
4042
20| 8
2633
22 6
2034
3458



Cley 123

12 Cromer 130

50 451 Diss,/. 92

43 48 42 Downham, s '. 86

22 28 26 East Dereham,/. loi



22 40.34
46 j 20 27
104040
46 4211
1036i;)4
22 22 42
36 22 14
.50 18 24
2045 35
33 20 20
21. 50 .36
50 18|33
30 36 65



Fauenham, th 108

Hingham, ^M 98

H ol t, # 119



Lynn Regis, tu. andfri



99



North Walsham, th 123



Norwich, w. and s \by Thetford) 108

281Swafn)am, * 96

29I 18|Thetfurd, s 78

WHlsiiigham 113

30 Watton, w 91



28 21

211 9

3226

1)122

18|51



5.35
31 12
50144



Wells. . [by Swaffham) .. . . 118

36|WTmondham, 10 100

55132 I Yarmouth, to. &^ s. .. 124



A'l



ATTLEBOROUGH.

WITH THE PARISHES AND VILLAGES OF BESTHORPE, GREAT AND LITTLE ELLINGHAM
THE ROCKLANDS, AND NEIGHBOURHOODS. '

natiouHl school room. The market is held on Thurs-
day ; and the fairs, on the Thursday after Holy Thurs-
day and August 15th, for cattle, toys, &c. 'ihe parish
contiined, by the returns made iu 1831, 1,939 inhabi-
tants, and in 1841, 1,959.

Brsthorpe parish, is in the same hundred asAttle-
boiougli — the village which is situated rather more
than a mile E. by s. from that town, contains little of
anything worthy of notice. The church of All Saints
is an unpretending structure : the living is a discharged
vica'age in the patronage of the Earl of Winterton.
Population of the pHrisli, in 1841, 536.

Great Ellingham parish and village is in the same
hundreil as. and about 2| miles w. by n. from, Attle-
bnrotiRh. The parish church of Snint James is a low
building, constructed of flint and square stones, in the
chequered style : the living is a discharged vicarage
in the gift of the present incumbent, the Rev. Samuel
Colby. Population of the pniish, in 1841, 8.39.

Little Ellingham, about a mile and a half from
Great Ellingham, though but an inconsiderable country
village was, as it is recorded, at tlie time of the Con-
quest, a town three miles in length : its churcli of
Saint Peter is very ancient; the living is united to that
(if the other Ellingham. The population of the parish
is under 300.

The Rocklands comprise the three parishes of
All S lints, Saint Andrew, and Saint Peter, all in the
hundred of Shrnpham ; extending from about 3J to 45
miles, west from Attleburgh. The village lona and
irregular, is chiefly in All Saints' parish, where also is
situated the Union poor-house, a commodious build-
ing. All Saints ant. Saint Peter's churches only re-
main — that of Saint Andrew having only a poition of
its tower standing. The livings of the three are dis-
charged rectories — Saint .Andrew's being uniied to All
Saints' parish : the R* v. Henry Bird is natron and
incumbent of the benefices. Population of Rockland,
All Saints' parish, 352; Saint Andrew, 154; Saint



lTTLEBOROUGH. popularly called Attleburgh,
is a parish in the hundred of Shropham — the niaikei
town, small and ancient, is 93 miles n.e. bvN.from
London, and 14 s.w. from Norwich ; situated on the
road between the last named city and Thetford, and on
the line of the Norfolk Railway, for whii h there is a
handsome station contiguous to thetown, and a newly-
buiit ciimmndious inn. The name is derived fiom
Athel'mg >>Y Atlingea. Saxon prince, by whom it is said
to have been oiiaiiiHlly founded; and from burg or
castle, by which it was furmerly defended frotu the
attacks of the Danes: and it was formeily not only
a city, but the metropolis of the county; although but
little now remains by whicli its extent or importanec,
at that time, ran be judged of. In its days of grandeur
it was the seat of tiie Moriimer family; and in the
reign of Hemy IV. the executors of Sir Kobcrt Mort-
imer, knight, according to his will, built a chanfiy or
collen'', appiopriaied to the Exaltaiion of the Cross,
and assigned the same h)r a master and four secular
priests. The church, vvhich is dedicated to Saint Maiy,
IS in tlie collegiate style, with a square tower at the in-
tersection of the transepts : parts of this edifice have
been long destroyed ; the remains exhibit a nave with
its ai~les, a nonh and south trasisept, and a handsouie
porch on the north side. In this church are interred
many persons of (li>tiiiciiou, htlonging to the Mort-
imer and RatdiflTefaniilie!!. The living is a rectory, in
the presentation of Sir Edwaid B. Smyth, the present
lord of tliH manor. The other places of worsliip are
for Baptists, the Society of Friends, and Methodists.

This is a town of but little trade : its ii. habitants ate
chiefly employed in agriculmie, and enjoying some
advantages from the market nnd fairs, as well as from
the passage of travellers between the capital of th rnoon, and night iit ten.

Letters from Hingham and Uunwell ;irrive e>eiy evming at half-past seven, and from Buckenham and
EccLES at hdlf-past tinht, and aie despatched ai hilf-pist six in the evening.



NOBILITY, GENTRY AND
CLERGY.

Aldis Mrs. Eiizaheth, Aftleborongh
Barrett Rev. Jonathan T. d.d. Par-
sonage, Attlehorongh
Beever Sir Thomas liranthwaU,

Bart. Hargham Hall
Biid Re».Henry,lli)ckland.Ail Saints
BmwM Mrs. Maiy, Rockland St.

Pr ter's
Carter .Mrs. MarvAnn. Attlehorongh
Cockfll Arthnr, K-q Frimiose Hall
Cockell.MrsCii.irlitite,.Attlebi)ioiigh
Cockei- Mrs. Saralt, Atilehnrniitih
Colby Rev. Samne!, LitileEllint-ham
Dowell Rev. Kdward ^V, Htsthorpe
Fiiifh Rev. Heniy, Shropliam
K'na Mr. Stephen, Attleborongli
Lane .Mrs. Marv, Attlel>orbert, Rockland St. Peters
()if>e VV., Attleborough
Salter Thomas, Atth bon>u«h
Salter Thomas Fisher,Atilebur(iugli

MILLERS.

Colman Timoth), Rockland St.
Peters [Saints

Daiithorn William, Rockland All
Fii Idins; Jeieniiah, Great Ellingham
Flowerday Jipshua, Attleborough
Lovett Roiicrt, Re«thorpe
Sayer J-.hn, AttieboronKh
Sayer William, Rockland St.Peters

NILLINERS&DRESS MAKERS

Aiideisnu Sarah, AttlebiMouiih
Chaplin Kr^nci-, Great EHinghara
Parson- Elizi, Attleborough
Warren Julia (and stay), Attleboro'
Wehster Elizabeth, Atilebomugh

PAINTERS AND GLAZIERS.

Brothers Charles, Attl^ borough
Hasehvood Roliert, Atilehorough

SADDLERS.
Defew George, Atileborough
IMiles William, Attleborough

STRAW BONNET MAKERS.

Castletiin Cli^trlotie, Gt. Ellingliam
King Harriet, Attleborough
Leeder Frances, Gieat Ellingham
Matthews Mary, Great Kllingliam
Wright John, Attleborough

SURGEONS.

Houchen'l'honiHs W. Attleborough
Potter Gc'irge James, Attleborough
Wiles Charles B. Attleborough

SURVEYORS.

See Land Agents and Surveyors.

TAILORS.

Alien Robert, Rockland St. Peters
Barker George, Attleborough
Barnard William C. Attleborough
Bateman William, Attleborough
Brait Samuel, Rockland St. Peters
Fox Kdmuud, Great Ellingham



Fox Henry, Great EUineham
Fro.st James, Rockland St. Peters
Nicholls John, At leborugh
Ponder Thomas, Atilebor.iugh
Simonds John, Roc kland St. Peters
Steele William, Rocklmd St. Peters
Warby James, Attleborough
Wilenier Richard, Great Ellingham

VETERIMARY SURGEONS.

Leeder John, Great Eilinehain
Leeder William, jun. Gt. Ellingham
Wilson Da\id, Attleborough
WATCH AND CLOCK MAKERS.
Dawes William, Attleborough
Warren John. Attleborough

WHEELWRIGHTS.

Bowden Willi in, Atilenorough
Brooks William, Great ElliiiKliam
Bri>vvuStephe'i,Buckland St. Peters
Chaplin William. Gieat Ellingham
Diake Charles, Attleborough
Miscellaneous-

Bartram Robert, cattle dealer, Rockland

All Saints
Brolhrrs Gi'orge, lliatcher, Attleborough
CowlesWilliain, collector of property tax,

Attleborougli
Crook Charles, carrier, Attleborough
Dennis Benjamin, parish clerk, Gre;it

Ell-ngliam
Fox Edward, greengrocer, Attleborough
Gayt'ord William, post-Iioise proprietor,
Attleborough [Attleborough

(loldspink Chas.horse and gig proprietor.
Good will Jas.stat ion master. Attleborough
Howlelt George, tinman and brazier.
Attleborough [Attleboroiigh

Hurriiig Wni. cooper and basket maker,
Johnson Robert, turner and umbrella

maker, Attleborough
Kim; Stephen, blarlisniith & earthenware

dealer, Atilehorough
Lusher John, Ihatcher, Attleborough
Mann Thomas, carrier, Attleborough
Miisikeli James, news agent.AUleborough
Parsons George, letter-press printer, At-
tleborough [rough
Robinson Charles, brick maker, Attlebo-
Sbickle John, inspector of weights, Attle-
borough
Twidney Robert, carrier,Great Ellingham
UpstonWni. furniture brokr, Attleborough
Webster Jas hairdresser, Attleboroush
Wright John, coal dealer, Attleborough

PLACES OP W^ORSHIP,

ANDTHEIK MINISTERS.

All Saints Church, Rockland — Rev.

Henry hwi, curate.
.Saint jAMES'CHURrH,Gt. Ellingham—

Rev. Samuel Colby, recliain vicar-
age, of vvhirh the vicar of Aylsham, for tin- time being,
is the lord : the whole was originally held under the
(Intrhy of (jancaster. it hiving been gi anted hy Kdward
III to John of Gaunt, Duke ot L'Micaster. Courts are
held occasionally for bn>ines> connected with the
several manors, and a Ctiuniy Court monthly, for the
recovery of debts to any amount not exceeding £20;



Korfolit. AYLSHAM, &c. ^lattc^g

AvMiam bfing included in tlie circuit of towns under about ilie year 162S by Sir Jobii HobHrt : in tbe origina*
tli'e act franie place has a chai ter to hold a weekly market ; but
j)iosnect



Online LibraryI. (Isaac) SlaterSlater's royal national and commercial directory and topography of the counties of Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, Norfolk, Oxfordshire, and Suffolk : comprising classi → online text (page 49 of 131)