Isthmian Canal Commission (U.S.).

Canal Record (Volume 4 no.1-52) online

. (page 99 of 168)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

merchants, and business men, residents of
Panama, Culebra, Empire, Gorgona, Gatun,
Colon, Bocas del Toro.and Kingston, Jamaica.
The club rooms are situated on Bolivar
street and consist of a library, billiard room,
reception room, club bar, and a reading room,
which is furnished with the leading newspapers
of New York and London, the better class
American and English magazines, and such
publications as deal with the affairs of the
negro race. The club interests itself in all mat-
ters pertaining to the welfare of the race.
Another object of the organization is to
bring about a better understanding between
the American and British negroes, and the
club works in cooperation with the Pan-
African Club of London and the National
Club of Kingston. There are two social
functions in the year; a dance, which is held
in May, and an annual reception in Septem-
ber. The management of the club is in the
hands of the officers and an executive com-
mittee which meets twice a month. A gen-
eral meeting is held once a week. A special
feature is the literary evening once a month,
when questions are brought before the club
on all matters of interest.



Benefit Baseball Game.
A baseball game for the benefit of the Colon
fire sufferers between teams representing the



Organization for Advancement of Negroes.

The Intercolonial Club, an organization
composed of American, West Indian, and
African negro men, with headquarters in



President Declines Clemency.

A cable message from Washington under
date of March 25, 1911, states: "President
has declined application for clemency M. H.
Lough."

Matthew H. Lough, locomotive engineer,
was found guilty in the District Court at
Cristobal of criminal negligence in having
caused a wreck at Bohio on the night of
August 15, 1910, in which Elias Tinsley, a
conductor, was killed. On appeal, the Su-
preme Court confirmed the decision of the
District Court on February 21. During the
visit of President Taft to the Isthmus in
November, 1910, fellow employes of Lough
presented a petition asking him to grant a
pardon. The President directed that the
case be brought to his attention after the
decision of the Supreme Court had been made,
and this was done in a petition presented to
the Chairman and forwarded by him to the
President. Mr. Lough's sentence is for one
year in Culebra penitentiary, where he is now
confined.

The Elders' Tennis Tournament.

The tennis cournamenr for members of
Zone tennis clubs who are over 40 years of
age took place on the court of the Gatun Ten-
nis Club on Sunday, March 26, with the
following entiies: Empire, Mr. E. J. Wil-
liams, .Mr. W. W. Wood; Panama, Mr. Pizet,
Mr. Fearon; Culebra, Dr. Crabtree; Colon,
Mr. P. G. Hoyt; Gatun, Major Harding,
Major Jervey, Mr. Ben Johnson. The scores
were as follows:

Preliminaries — Wood defeated Johnson,
6-3, 6-3; Hoyt, defeated Fearon, by default;
Pezet defeated Williams, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2;
Harding defeated Crabtree, 8-10, 6-3, 6-2.

Second round — Hoyt defeated Wood, 6—3,
6-3; Jervey defeated Harding, 6-1, 6-3.

Semi-finals — Jervey defeated Pezet by
default.

Finals — Jervey defeated Hoyt, 2-6, 6-3,
11-9.



244



THE CANAL RECORD



Vol. IV., No. 31.



SOCIAL LIFE OF THE ZONE.

Women's Clubs.

A meeting of the executive board and con-
ference of presidents of the Canal Zone Feder-
ation of Women's Clubs will be held in the
Commission clubhouse at Empire on Tuesday
afternoon, April 4, at 3 o'clock. Mrs. R. VV.
Hart has been designated corresponding sec-
retary of the Federation during the absence
of Mrs. F. Mears, and all communications
regarding the work of the organization should
be addressed to her at Cristobal.

The Federation cook book has been placed
on sale at the newstands in Colon and at the
Hotel Tivoli in Ancon.



Church Notes.

A three weeks' mission is being held at St.
Ferdinand's Church in Empire, by the Very
Rev. Patrick MacHale, of Philadelphia,
visitor of the Vincentian Fathers. The mis-
sion is divided into three classes: For West
Indians, for French, and from March 29 to
April 2, for white Americans, non-Roman
Catholics being invited to attend. The meet-
ings are held in the church every evening at
7.30 o'clock. St. Ferdinand's parish includes
the village of Empire and the surrounding
districts, with several bush settlements, in all
about 2,000 members.

The Wesleyan Methodist Church on the
Isthmus has been asked to take charge of the
Methodist work at Bocas del Toro and the
adjoining stations. The church building and
other property at Bocas has been turned over
to the representatives of the conference and
as soon as the investigation of titles is com-
pleted the transfer will be effected. The
Rev. M. B. King of Panama and The Rev.
E. J. Cooke of Colon will take the duty at the
new mission until a minister is appointed.
The Wesleyan Methodist Church on the
Isthmus is part of the West Indies branch,
which is under the jurisdiction of the mission-
ary committee of the English conference.

Mr. James Hayter, agent of the American
Bible Society, with headquarters at Guate-
mala City, was a recent visitor to the Isthmus
in the interests of the work of the society.



Tivoli Hotel and Tourist Trade.

Two buildings formerly used as servants'
quarters and one family house situated in the
rear of the Hotel Tivoli have been remodelled
for the accommodation of guests. They are
furnished and equipped uniformly with the
rooms in the main building, and baths and
toilets are provided. The annex gives addi-
tional accommodations for about 60 persons.
The hotel servants will be quartered in two
barracks which have been moved from the
Spanish camp to a site back of and near the
hotel.

Additional accommodations have been made
necessary by the large increase in the number
of visitors to the Isthmus during the dry sea-
son. Interest in Canal construction attracts
tourists, and healthful conditions having been
established on the Isthmus, a considerable
number of persons come here to escape the
rigors of the winter months. The Tivoli
was completed in 1907 and accommodated
about 115 guests. Since that time the
interior of the building has been remodelled,
so that 150 persons may be accommodated
without inconvenience. The trade during
the dry season runs from 120 to 170 guests,
in the wet season the average falls below 100.
In addition to this transient trade, the hotel



provides for large tourist parties from the
States which visit the Isthmus on an average
of once in three weeks from December to
April. These excursions carry from 250 to
450 passengers. The tourists usually cross
the Isthmus in special trains, arriving in time
for lunch at the hotel, and returning to Colon
in time to sail on the evening of the same day.
For tourist lunches, tables are set in the ball
room, the tea room, on the south veranda and
the billiard room. The regular staff of waiters
is supplemented on these occasions by ships'
stewards, one steward to eight persons being
sent over to assist. The hotel kitchen has
been recently improved and enlarged and
there is dining room equipment sufficient to
provide for 600 persons at a sitting.

F'ERSONAL.



formerly of the Panama railroad engineering
corps.

Obituary.

J. R. Geary, an employe of the Mechanical
Division, residing at Tabernilla, was killed
at the Gorgona shops on March 18 by a rail-
road train. He was born in Baltimore, Md.,
was 24 years of age, married, and had been
on the Isthmus since October, 1910.

Charles Matthew Cuvillier, who was em-
ployed in the Pacific Division as a foreman
and who had been on the Isthmus from Octo-
ber, 1904, to December, 1910, died at his
home in Alexandria, Va., on March 16. He
was 40 years of age and is survived by a widow.



Major-General George W. Davis, U. S. A.,
retired, who was a member of the first Isth-
mian Canal Commission, and first Governor
of the Canal Zone, arrived on the Isthmus on
the Panama on March 24 for a brief visit.



Funds for Gatun Playground.

Asa result of the three nights' carnival held
in Gatun on March 15, 16 and 17, §360.15
has been turned over to the finance committee
of the Gatun playground association for the
establishing of a public playground in the
village.

Culebra Gun Club.

The Culebra Gun Club will hold a clay
pigeon shoot at its clubhouse on Sunday
morning, April 2. All employes of the Com-
mission and Panama railroad on the gold roll
are eligible and those who are desirous of
becoming members should communicate
with — \Ym. E. Tragsdorf,

Secretary and Treasurer.
Culebra, March 25, 1911.



The statement in last week's issue of The
Canal Record that Paraiso Court No. 5,
I. O. P. K., had passed resolutions of sympathy
on the death of R. C. Smith was in error.
The resolutions of sympathy were adopted
for Mr. R. C. Smith on account of the death
of his wife.

Spanish War Veterans.

Chagres Camp, No. 2, Spanish War Vet-
erans, will meet in the lodge hall at Gorgona
on Sunday, April 2, at 2.30 p. m. A full
attendance is desired.



B. P. O. E.

There will be a meeting of Elks at the
Imperial Hotel, Colon, on Sunday, April 2,
at 10 a. m. All Elks in good standing are
requested to attend.



School Holidays.

The public schools will be closed for the
Easter holidays from April 8 to 17.



Lost — A bunch of keys. Finder please notify Col.
C. A. Devol, Chief Quartermaster. Culebra, C. Z.



Changes in Organization.

Mr. George H. Ruggles has been assigned
to take charge of the construction of the new
concrete docks at Cristobal. The position
of Superintendent of Public Works, formerly
occupied by Mr. Ruggles, has been filled by
the appointment of Mr. Maurice E. Gilmore,



Proposals for Charcoal.

Sealed bids will be leceived at the office of the Depot
Quartermaster. Mount Hope, until 2 p. m.. March 31,
lyll, when they will be publicly opened, for 40.000
pounds of charcoal in bags. Delivery of 10,000 pounds
to be made within 10 days after award, balance within
30 days thereafter. Charcoal will be accepted on
board cars at any point on the Panama railroad and
will be inspected and weighed on receipt at destination.
Payment will be made on basis of net dry weight, ac-
cording to specifications which will be furnished upon
application. Trie right is reserved to reject any or all
bids. Bids must be marked "Proposal for Charcoal"
and addressed to the Depot Quartermaster. Mount
Hope, C. Z. C. Nixon,

Depot Quartermaster.



LABOR FORCE AND QUARTERS IN FEBRUARY.



The total of the Canal and Panama railroad force at work on February 28 was 35,955, as
compared with 37,271 in January, and 37,458 in February, 1910. Of the total for February,
1911, Canal employes numbered 28,755, and Panama railroad, 7,200. The force report for
February, follows:







SILVER E.MI'IOYK-^


*




•a

o

a
8






Artisans.


European
lv» borers.






West Indian
Laborers.




3




c




c
u

u

■*

i5


j

z
&
u

20
3


09

u

jQ


c


2




U

o

o


a

V

u


u

c


U


V


t/i

a

V

o

o


Z.

u


Total
Silver


■a

a
2
O


Const'ct'ii and Kng'r'ng.


4515
236

6s;
yyo

669

7
5


-'41
I
3

99

1


62 i
4
3

146
1


2.590

17

3

76


3.231


1.247


112


560


3.481


2 985

3

304

729


,'65

"i
10


19.SS9

2iS2

1.010

2.169

671

7

5


3. £«5
338
373
234
57
27
108


23.494
600




1

69


1
20


is




4
V


1,383

2,403




72o




















34




























113




15


23


316


7S1




















Total


7,104


2.6S6


J.301


1.268


!30


560


3.494


4,021


284


24,013


4.742


28,755





Panama railroad force. 3 832; Panama railroad relocation force 2. 40S; Panama railroad commissaiy force.
96". To al. 7 200 I. C. C. force. 28 755 Grand total. 35.955
*AU w.ices specified are in gold.

On February 28 there were 9,688 occupants of quarters for "gold" employes, of whom 2,133
were women and 1,895 were children. The occupants of quarters for European laborers num-
bered 5,690, of whom 272 were women and 377 were children. The occupants of quarters for
negro laborers numbered 8,886, of whom 1,160 were women, and t,368 were children. The
total number of occupants of Commission quarters was 24,264.



March 29, 1911.



THE CANAL RECORD



24S



HEALTH OF COLON.



Systematic Education of People In the Crowded
Sections.

A campaign against disease has been begun
in Colon by various organizations in coopera-
tion with the public health authorities. The
work is among the people in the crowded sec-
tion of the city, and is along the lines of edu-
cation. Colon has a population estimated
variously at' from 10,001) to 15,000 and the
health authorities estimate that about 90 per
cent of this population is floating, and that
more than one-half of the unstable portion
is composed of West Indian negroes who
come to the Isthmus in search of work on the
Canal.

Most of the dwelling houses in the crowded
section are large frame structures two or three
stories high (a sanitary decree issued on April
23, 1907, prohibits the construction of "new
frame buildings or the remodeling of old ones,
which provide for' more than two stories.")
The smaller type of houses has an average of
38 rooms, the larger, 75 rooms. Each house
has central fire-proof kitchens, the number
being regulated by the sanitary decree which
orders that "kitchen space shall be provided
for in buildings at the rate of not less than
sixteen (16) square feet of space for each
living room contained in each story." Run-
ning water is installed, and there are sanitary
toilets with open plumbing.

In regard to the living rooms, the law pro-
vides that "no building or buildings to be
used as a dwelling shall have a living or bed-
room smaller than 10 by 10 feet and each room
shall have not less than one window three by
five feet and one door two feet six inches by
seven feet opening upon a street, yard, alley,
or patio. The distance between the floor and
ceiling shall not be less than 10 feet."

Owing to the limited number of these houses
in proportion to the population, and the high
rent charged, each room is usually occupied
by a family consisting of two or three adults
and several children, or by three, or more,
adult persons. It has been demonstrated,
however, that should the authorities insist
upon limiting the number of persons occupy-
ing a room, many people would be turned into
the streets.

The room occupied by a family is usually
divided into sleeping and living portions by a
curtain, and is overcrowded with furniture.
Although the West Indian negoes are accus-
tomed to living out of doors during the day,
they adhere to the old superstition that sleep-
ing in the night air produces fever. They
close the solid wooden doors at night and
exclude all the air they can by means of cur-
tains. On the ground floor the condition is
more favorable to this exclusion of air than on
the upper stories which get a sea breeze con-
stantly.

The initial step in the campaign against
disease was taken by the institution of district
nursing, as outlined in The Canal RECORDof
February 8. The object was to discover the
reasons for the high rate of infant mortality
in the city and to begin an educational cam-
paign. The work is experimental, and, as far
as it concerns Colon Hospital, temporary,
as nurses of the regular staff can be spared for
outside duty only during the dry season when
the wards are not full. Two nurses began the
work on January 16, and in the three weeks
that followed, 409 visits were made, and nine
babies were sent to Colon Hospital. In all other
cases, the mothers of new born infants were



taught the simple principles of infant hygiene,
and the daily visit of the nurse was sufficient.
Except in emergency cases, the nurses give
no medicine or other supplies.

Tuberculosis work has been begun at the
initiation of the Cristobal Woman's Club,
acting under the advice of the health author-
ities, and with the cooperation of the churches,
church societies, and other organizations in
Cristobal and Colon. The district nurses as-
sist by paying special attention to the children
in the families they visit, with a view to the
discovery of cases in their incipiency. When
such are found, the mothers are given careful
instructions regarding care and treatment. As
a measure preliminary to the general work,
placards in Spanish and English, giving rules
for the prevention of the spread of the disease
and for self-treatment for those already af-
fected, have been posted in the halls of every
tenement hotiF-e in the city.

A large number of lantern slides have bee'-
received, and will be used to illustrate lectures
to be delivered in the public buildings in differ-
ent parts of the city, and in Cristobal. Be-
sides the pictures showing the nature and
development of tuberculosis, there are 20
slides showing sanitary and insanitary house
conditions, flies and fly breeding. The ex-
hibit will be accompanied with lectures.



Hamburg-American Steamship Service.

The Hamburg-American line has instituted
a first and second class weekly service between
Colon and New York, by the steamers Prinz
August Wilhelm, Prinz Joachim, Prinz Eiiel
Fricdrich, and Prinz Sigismund, one leaving
Colon at 10 o'clock each Tuesday morning.
All of these ships call at Kingston on both
north and southbound voyages, and the
Prinz Joachim and Prinz August Wilhelm call
also at Santiago, Cuba. The weekly sailings
to Port Limon, Costa Rica, have been dis-
continued and fortnightly calls have been
substituted, the steamers leaving Colon on
alternate Wednesdays. These ships call also
at Bocas del Toro.



Quarantine Regulations Modified.

On account of the recent removal of quar-
antine restrictions against passengers, who
spend five days in San Jose, Costa Rica and
embark immediately upon arrival at Port
Limon, and, in order to minimize as much as
possible the restrictions against tourist traffic,
the following regulations have been made
effective, as of January 24, 1911:

Passengers from noninfected ports for Colon, via
Port Limon will be allowed to avail themselves of the
privilege of going to San Jose under the following con-
ditions:

1. The captain of the vessel will prepare a list of all
such passengers disembarking at Port Limon for the
purpose of proceeding to San Jose. The captain, or
other officer of the ship, will furthermore be required
to accompany such passengers to the train and see that
they go aboard directly for San Jose, without spending
two or three hours walking about the city of Poit Limon.

2. Such passengers must procure from the American
Consul in San Jos:- a certificate staling t.;ai they re-
ported at his orVe on that d '.te. This is required as
evidence that they went to San Jose, and did not spend
the time in the coast country.

3. Upon return from San Jos-, passengers must pro-
ceed directly from the train to the steamer, and the
Captain of the vessel will be required to certify that
this provision of the regulation, as well as that men-
tioned in section 1 , has been complied with.

Upon ariival at Colon, the captain of the vessel will
present to the quarantine office! a list showing the names
of the passengers, who went to San Jose, as provided
for by the regulation, and he will be required to certify
on honor that the provisions mentioned herein have
been fully observed.

New regulations were placed in effect on



the same date, governing passengers from
Puerto Barrios, Guatemala. These are, as

follows:

1. For the present, passengers, who have completed
five days from date of departure fiom Puerto it. in [os,
will be received at Colon without quarantine detention,
except in cases of sickness, provided, however, that su».h
passengers come from Guatemala City to Puerto Bar-
rios by rail the same day of sailing, without stopping at
points along the line. Such passengers must bring a
certificate from the officer of the Public Health and
Marine Hos, iial Service, detailed in Guatemala City,
to the effect that they are from that city, and. during the
close season of quarantine, when an officer of that Serv-
ice is on duty at Puerto Barrios, these certificates must
be vised by him.

2. Passengers without such certification, and, who
have not completed live days on the trip from Puerto
Barrios to Cclon, will be subject to quarantine deten-
tion.

Money Orders for Costa Rica.

A money order convention between the

Canal Zone and Costa Rica was signed at

Washington on March 2. Regulations for

the issue of these orders are published, as

an official circular, on another page of this

issue.

i

Panama-Gorgona Highway Nearing Completion.

Grading on the section of the Canal Zone
highway between Pedro Miguel and Corozal
has been practically completed; most of it
has been macadamized, and rolling is now
well under way. The trestle fill, made by the
Panama railroad over the valleys of the Cam-
aron and Caimitillo Rivers, and the construc-
tion of the concrete bridge over the Cardenas
River, near Corozal, were finished a few weeks
ago, thereby furnishing a continuous roadway
from Panama to Gorgona, with the exception
of the concrete bridge, now building, which is
to span the Mandingo River, near Bas
Obispo. It is probable that wheeled vehicles
will be able to make the trip from Panama to
Gorgona by July 1.

The highway out of Panama branches off the
Caledonia road about one-half mile from the
railroad station, and continues east of the
railway, in some places one-half mile or more,
and in others approaching close to, or crossing,
the railroad right of way. From Panama to
Corozal the road is rather tortuous, but from
Corozal to Pedro Miguel there are very few
sharp curves, although it takes several wide
swings. At Pedro Miguel the highway
crosses to the west of the relocated line, which
it parallels until near Paraiso Junction, where
the railroad is recrosscd. From this point
it follows the east bank of the Canal to the
Empire suspension bridge, which takes it to
the west side of the Cut. Passing through the
east part of Empire it crosses the railroad and
goes through the old town toward Las Cas-
cadas. From Empire to Gorgona the road
remains on the west side of both the Panama
railroad and the Canal. The total length of
the highway is about 20 miles, or about one
mile longer than the rail distance between
Panama and Gorgona.



A committee to determine the method of
handling and disposing of scrap material has
been appointed, consisting of Lieut. -Cols. D.
D. Gaillard and C. A. Devol, Mr. J. A. Smith,
Major T. C. Dickson, and Mr. A. L. Robin
son.

Missing Man.
Any one having information regarding the
whereabouts of Frank Braun of Newark, N. J.,
who is supposed to have come to the Isth-
mus, is requested to communicate with the
American Legation, Panama.



246



THE CANAL RECORD



Vol. IV., No. 31.



COMMISSION CLUBHOUSES.



Activities of the Young Men's Christian Asso-
ciation.

CULEBRA.

The 200, or over, bigpin bowling scores for the week
ending March 25. are as follows: Cushing, 235, 223;
Case, 227; Mengel, 226; Conlon. 218, 204; Huttle-
maier, 216.

The 100. or over, duckpin scores fof the week ending
March 25, are as follows: Hill. 116; Hnttlemaier, 111;
Cornthwaite, 104; Case. 101; Fox, 100.

The standing of the players in the handicap chess
turnament for the week ending March 25, is as follows:



Name. Won.

Bartlett 7

Dubois 4

Goodenow... 5;
Putnam 6



Lost.
1
6



Xame. Won. Lost.

Stearns 3 4

Warner. ... 4 5

Wilson 5 1

Strong 2 J 4}



There will be a return engagement of the Caveny
Entertainment Company on Thursday evening, March
30, beginning at 8.15 o'clock with an entire change of
program. Members, free; nonmembers, 50 cents;
children, 25 cents.

The last period of the topic club on Monday evening
April 3. between 7.45 and S.15 o'clock, will be under the,
direction of Mr. J. F. Warner; topic, "The law of service,
in relation to growth and happiness."

Selected films will be presented at the motion picture
entertainment to be held on Thursday evening. April 6.

EMPIRE.

Gorgona defeated Empire in an indoor baseball game
on Saturday evening. March 25, by a score of 15 to 12.

Empire won two out of three events in the pool and
billiard tournament with Gatun on March 25. Hersh
beat Del'oorter, 125 to 92; Pearson beat Wilson, 125
to 100; and Smith lost to Townsley, 80 to 100. A