while there are still a few of the old-timers left whose grey hairs tell of
Time's onward flight. They, too, will ere long be called upon to make the
mysterious journey ; happily, therefore, that their sons still live to perpetuate
the noble example set by their fathers in the establishment of so well fav-
ored a society as is that of the California Pioneers. The number of members
at present on the roll of the association is thirty-five, with Charles H.
Hubbs, president ; George Nye, Frank Shirland, and W. S. Brooks, vice-
presidents ; William P. Edwards, secretary ; Isaac S. Halsey, treasurer ;
Thomas K. Watson, marshal, and Thomas Aylward, John C. McLeod,
and J. A. Saunders, directors. The honorary members are General M. G.
Vallejo, Captain Paul Shirley, and Rear- Admiral Enoch G. Parrott, of the
United States Navy, and General John B. Frisbie.
Vallejo Masonic Hall Association. — At a regular meeting of Naval
Lodge, No. 87, F. & A. M., held at their hall in Vallejo on April 19, A. d.
18G6, the following named persons were elected trustees to organize, incor-
porate and manage the affairs of a joint-stock company, for the purpose of
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
erecting a Masonic hall building in Vallejo, and that the names of the Trus-
tees be P. D. Grimes, J. M. Rutan, Joseph L. Likins, Philip Hichborn, and
The capital stock of the association was $8,000, divided into 320 shares of
the par value of $25. The number of trustees, as provided in the Articles
of Incorporation, to direct the affairs of the association for three months,
was five ; and the names of those gentlemen were these above-named.
The annual meeting of stockholders was held on the second Wednesday
evening in January, for their election.
At the regular meeting of the stockholders the representation of at least
a majority of the stock issued was necessary for the transaction of business.
No shareholder could serve as a trustee unless he was a Master Mason in
218 THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
good standing, and was a member of some lodge within thirty miles of
Vallejo, and the holder of at least two shares of stock.
Dividends of the profits of the association were declared annually, at a
regular meeting of the trustees. The By-Laws also provided that a divi-
dend of the profits should not be declared to exceed 12 per cent, per annum
on the capital stock issued. It was provided that all revenues exceeding 12
per cent, per annum be reserved as a sinking fund for the redemption of
the capital stock, and that Naval Lodge No. 87 shall have all the benefit of
this sinking fund for the purpose of redeeming the stock of the association.
Naval Lodge, No. 87, by the By-Laws, was to have the full control of
the hall, ante-rooms, entrance-hall to the same, and all the upper part of
the building, for the term of its existence, to occupy, lease, and rent the
same, by paying to the association a monthly rent of twenty dollars, and a
free lease of so much of lots seven and eight, at the corner of Virginia and
Marin streets, as miedit be needed for the buildinsc and its uses. Three hun-
dred and eighteen shares of the stock were issued and fully paid up, and
the building was erected in the fall of 1866 by A. Powell, contractor, and
A. H. Gunning, architect and superintendent. P. D. Grimes and Eben Hilton,
at the election, were chosen president and treasurer, respectively ; and A.
P. Voorhees, secretary of the first Board.
At the annual meeting held January 23, 1867, P. D. Grimes, J. M. Rutan
P. Hichborn, Eben. Hilton and A. Powell, vice J. L. Likins, were chosen
Trustees. The new Board organized by electing the officers of the previous
year, who were nominated to fill the same position year by year until 1871.
In November, 1870, Mr. P. Hichborn, who was about to leave for the East-
ern States, resigned, and at the regular annual meeting in the January fol-
lowing, Messrs. P. D. Grimes, A. Powell, A. P. Voorhees, N. G. Hilton and
John M. Browne were elected Trustees, Messrs. Grimes, Voorhees and N.
G. Hilton being President, Treasurer and Secretary. On January 17, 1872,
the same Trustees were elected, save Dr. J. M. Browne, whose place was
filled by Alexander Hichborn, the same officers serving as on the previous,
year. January 8, 1873, the same Board directed the affairs of the Associa-
tion, excepting A. Hichborn, who was succeeded by J. M. Rutan, the same
officers officiating. At the elections held on January 14, 1874, and 25,
1875, there was no change in the direction. On January 12, 1876, Mr.
Powell gave place to Mr. Charles Daly, while on that of January 19, 1877,
Dr. I. S. Halsey was elected in the place of Mr. Daly, no other change
being made. An adjourned meeting was convened on February 11, 1878,
when the following were elected Trustees: I. S. Halsey, George F. Mallett,
J. M. Rutan, John Brownlie and George W. Simonton, Messrs. Rutan,
Brownlie and Simonton being subsequently called upon to fill the res-
pective positions of President, Treasurer and Secretary, while on January
14, 1879, no change was made save by filling Dr. Halsey's place on the
Board by the return of C. T. B. Hallin.
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY. 219
The Masonic and Odd Fellows Cemetery Association of the City of Val-
lejo. — The preliminaries to the incorporation of the above Association were
instituted in January, 1875, when Naval Lodge, No. 87, F. and A. M. ;
Solano Lodge, No. 229, F. and A. M. ; San Pablo Lodge, No. 43, I. 0. O. F.,
and Golden State Lodge, No. 216, I. O. O. F., appointed a Committee
consisting of the following gentlemen, viz. : George F. Mallett, to represent
Naval Lodge; Frank E. Brown, to represent Solano Lodge; Anson Clark,
to represent Golden State Lodge, and Sylvester Warforcl, to represent San
Pablo Lodge ; authorizing them to select and enter into a contract for the
purchase of a tract of land suitable for a cemetery for the exclusive use
of Masons and Odd Fellows, to inter the remains of their brethren and
their wives and children.
In pursuance with that authority, the Committee seclected a tract of
land owned by Ira Austin, containing about fifteen acres, and made their
report to the various Lodges, who reappointed the same gentlemen to serve
as a Committee, with power to add a fifth member whereby a Board of
Trustees should be constituted, with power to enter into and incorporate
the Masonic and Odd Fellows Cemetery Association of the City of Vallejo.
In accordance with instructions, the Committee met at the office of S. G.
Hilborn, Esq., on February 20, 1875, and appointed Peter D. Grimes as
Trustee, after which a Board was organized with the following officers :
P. D. Grimes, President ; Anson Clark, Treasurer ; and George F. Mallett,
Secretary. On February 23, 1875, the Articles of Incorporation were re-
ceived from the Secretary of State, the text of which is given below,
stating the object for which the Association is formed, and authorizing
Messrs. Grimes, Clark, Warford, Brown and Mallett to serve as Trustees
until their successors be elected and qualified.
Articles of Incorporation of the Masonic and Odd Fellows Ceme-
tery Association of the City of Vallejo.
1. The name of the corporation is the Masonic and Odd Fellows Ceme-
tery Association of the City of Vallejo.
2. The purpose for which it is formed is to purchase and hold a tract of
land near the City of Vallejo, in Solano county, State of California, and to
establish and maintain a cemetery thereon.
3. That its principal place of business is the City of Vallejo, Solano
4. That the term for which it is to exist is fifty years.
5. That the number of its Directors or Trustees be five.
The annual meeting for the election of Trustees and the transaction of
general business is held on the last Tuesday in the month of March, and it
is ordained that no person may be a Trustee unless he be a Mason or Odd
220 THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
Fellow in good standing, or the owner of a lot. Each Lodge is entitled to
a vote for the election of a Trustee, a like privilege being also held by the
St. Vincent's Benevolent Society. — This Society is formed for the purpose
of promoting each other's temporal . and spiritual welfare ; for affording
spiritual consolation and substantial aid to its members in time of sickness,
and securing to them, after death, decent and Christian interment, in accord-
ance with the faith of the Holy Catholic Church ; for the performance of
works of mercy and charity towards distressed persons of the parish, and
encouraging each other, by good example, in the duties of Christian life, and,
above all, the exercising of a spirit of fraternal charity. The establishment
of this most meritorious association was effected on February 3, 1867,
having, for its first officers : John Louis Daniel, O. P., Chaplain ; Michael
S. Derwin, President ; Daniel J. Brennan, Vice-President ; John L. Daniel,
O. P., Bursar ; Michael J. Cunningham, Secretary ; the members of the
Council, being : James Doyle, Edward McGettigan, Lawrence Walsh, Hugh
Cunningham, John Perryman, Daniel Wynn, James McGarvey, John Cron-
nin and John Kennedy. The organizers of the St. Vincent's Benevolent
Society, were : Lawrence Walsh, Ed. McGettigan, Hugh Cunningham, D. J.
Brennan, Thomas Lynch, Patrick Crawley, Thos. Woods, Daniel Hayes, Jas.
McGarvey, Edward O'Malley, Peter Lyden, John Leary, Benjamin Martin,
Thos. Ryan, Peter Bourke, Robert Casey, Charles White, John Walsh, Henry
Buckland, Anthony Murray, W. J. Cunningham, James Doyle, Thos. Gan-
non, Thos. Grannen, John Casey, Owen Behan, H. B. Hendrickson, John
Crannin, John McManus, Thos. Hollern, Daniel Wynn, Thos. Kenney, Pat-
rick O'Malley, John Mullin, John McGuire, Richard Walsh, John Kennedy,
John Perryman, Nicholas Clavo, Richard Palmer, Edward Lynch, Bartholo-
mew Turner, Patrick Kelly, Patrick Lynch, John Hurley, Joseph Sullivan,
Patrick Murphy, Lawrence Barry, Patrick Crotty, Henry Knowles, John
Brennan, Thos. Carroll, Patrick Delehunty, Chas. Cunningham, Angus
Mclnnes, Denis Driscol, Wm. Browier, Wm. Flynn, Michael Sullivan, James
Toland, Patrick Tracy, John Wise, James Lane, C. Quinlan Henry McCul-
lough, T. J. Baldwin, Daniel Donovan, Lawrence Dempsey. Honorary
Members — Michael Derwin, Edward C. Doran, Lieut. F. Harrington, John
Drennan, John O'Grady, Patrick Londregan, and Mrs. Lawrence Walsh.
It is gratifying to announce that this Society is in a most prosperous con-
dition, financially, and otherwise. The office bearers for the present term,
are : P. C. Lynch, President ; M. L. Kelly, Vice-President ; John Cunning-
ham, Secretary ; Council Members — Robert Couerdale, Patrick Tracy,
Charles Barr, James Costello, Hugh Cunningham, Thomas Smith, James
McGarvey, Nicholas Clavo, James Mitchell, Timothy Conners, Thomas Reed.
The number of active members are 127 ; Life Members, 1, with 3 Honorary
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY. 221
Vallejo Post Office. — This office comes under the second-class post offices
of the United States, and carries with it a salary of $2,100 per annum. It
is also a money order office, transacting business in domestic, British, and
Italian orders. It receives and despatches seven mails per day : Mails from
San Francisco and Sacramento twice a day, and Eastern mails every even-
ing. Issues about 2,500 money orders, amounting to about $00,000 a year,
and pays about $6,000 in the same time. The first money order issued was
dated May 20, 1867 ; while the date of the first one paid was the 27th of
the same month. This post office registers on an average 1,100 letters in a
twelve-month ; receives about 800 letters daily and forwards nearly the
same number ; has 400 lock-boxes ; while the total receipts for stamps, etc^
is in the vicinity of $5,000 yearly. The present officers* in charge of this
establishment are M. J. Wright, Postmaster, and W. F. Wright, Deputy,
gentlemen of much merit and extreme courtesy. Appended is a list of
appointments, obtained from the Post Office Department at Washington,
since the establishment of the office at Vallejo: Eleazer Frisbie, January
19, 1855 ; Wm. W. Chapman, March 3, 1857 ; Joseph S. Mclntyre, May
28, 1860 ; Edson J. Wilson, June 28, 18G1 ; Edwin H. Sawyer, January
27, 1864 ; George P. Wescott, June 17, 1864 ; Edson J. Wilson, Decem-
ber 27, 1865 ; James E. Ryan, June 5, 1868 ; Miss Mary J. Falls, April
16, 1869 ; Edson J. Wilson, October 23, 1869 ; Martin J. Wright, December
10, 1873, reappointed January 25, 1878.
Homestead Associations. — Of all the important features necessary to
be observed in the progress of a rapidly-rising city, the organization of home-
stead associations is one which bears a satisfactory impress, for these, by
consolidated capital and united effort, place it within the reach of every
industrious person to obtain a tract of land that he can call his own, where-
on he may erect that typical castle which is usually held to be sacred
against the aggressions of the outside world. By a payment of a small sum
into the capital stock, and the disbursement of a trifling amount in stated
assessments, one and all may, through this channel, which is within the
grasp of each and every one, become, in a short time, the possessor of a site
for a homestead free from encumbrances of any kind. To the proprietors or
shareholders, associations of this nature have always been of benefit ; while
the advance of real estate, secured in this manner, has been marked and
rapid, the investments in nearly all instances having proved safe and
The Vallejo Homestead Association was incorporated on April 25, 1867,
under the direct auspices of the following gentlemen : Elisha Whiting,
George W. Simonton, J. F. Smith, William C. Root, H. B. Bell, M. L. Torn-
bohm, and Sanford C. "Baker ; Mr. Whiting being elected President, and Mr.
Simonton Secretary and Treasurer.
222 THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
The capital stock of the Association was $27,000, and was to continue in
existence for the term of three years, from and after the date and the filing
of the certificate, as above stated.
Each member taking a share of stock paid into the treasury two dollars
on each share taken, as a fund for defraying the current expenses of the
Association, and five dollars per month, in advance, on each share, to be
known as the " Homestead Fund," to be used in the purchase of land and
At the regular monthly meeting, held July 13, 1867, an election of officers
was held, resulting in the returning of E. Whiting, President ; G. W. Simon-
ton, Secretary and Treasurer, and five Directors, viz : J. F. Smith, H. K.
Snow, M. L. Tormbohm, H. B. Bell, and W. W. Skinner, who held office until
the annual meeting of the stockholders, which was held on the first Monday
in May of each year.
The By-Laws provided for a standing committee of three members of the
Board of Directors, to attend to all matters relative to investment in real
estate, title, price, terms of sale, etc., and the President appointed J. F. Smith,
E. Whiting, and M. L. Tornbohm.
At a meeting of the Board of Trustees, convened on June 24, 1867, it was
ordered that the report of the committee on the purchase of land be adopted,
viz : " That we purchase of General J. B. Frisbie five full blocks of land
situate in the town of Vallejo, and numbered on map of said town, blocks
392, 394, 395, 398, and 399, containing eighty lots 50x130 feet, at a cost of
Thirty lots in blocks 396, 397, and 400 were bought on October 12, 1877,
at the same rate as first purchase, viz : $3,000, making in all one hundred
and ten lots.
On November 9, 1867, the land was distributed among the shareholders
by drawing for choice of lots, with the understanding, which was voted
in public meeting, that, as the Association had been at the expense of fenc-
ing in the property, those drawing corner lots should defray the extra cost
of inclosing the same, to the extent of ten dollars.
The lots, when fully paid up, including the outlay of fencing, recording
deed, and other incidental expenses, cost the holders $122 25 for corner lots,
and for those on the inside $112 25.
Many of the owners, in the fall of 1867 and the following season, built
houses and made other improvements, so that in three or four years nearly
every lot had its comfortable home, and to-day the property is one of the
prettiest in the city of Vallejo.
Vallejo Land and Improvement Company. — This company was incor-
porated on the 27th day of October, 1871, with a capital stock divided into
40,000 shares, of $100 each, the whole capital being $4,000,000. The ob-
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY. 223
jects of the corporation were to purchase, and sell, and convey lands in
the county of Solano; to erect and maintain wharves and docks on the
same for the purposes of manufactures, trades, business and commerce; to
reclaim lands, purchase and otherwise improve the same by buildings, fix-
tures and erections, to be placed thereon for warehousing and other pur-
poses; to lay out public streets, avenues, boulevards, squares and pleasure-
grounds across, over and upon the land purchased, and dedicate the same
to the public use. It was then declared that the time of existence of said
company should be fifty years, and the following trustees were elected to
manage the affairs of the company, viz.: John B. Frisbie ; Faxton D. Ather-
ton; Leland Stanford; Milton S. Latham; Alexander De Laski, and E.
H. Green; the officers being: President, John B. Frisbie; Vice President, F.
D. Atherton; Secretary, J. K. Duncan; Treasurer, Milton S. Latham.
The first annual report of the company puts forth the state of the associa-
tion as being most flourishing. When submitted, on January 17, 1872, their
property consisted chiefly of 2,000 acres of land in and near the town of
Vallejo, the value of which was estimated at nearly $3,000,000. One thou-
sand acres were situated within the town limits, including much in the best
localities, and six hundred acres along the water-front. The portion lying
inside the town limits was laid out in lots, while the balance was suburban
lands, and other tracts of considerable value. At this time the prospects of
Vallejo had reached its zenith, and the relapse which has since occurred was
not then deemed probable.
Throughout the following years the Vallejo Land and Improvement Com-
pany has been on the wane, monetarily speaking. Owing to the declension
of trade, and other losses, the association is not in as flourishing a condition
as might be expected, yet there is every prospect of its recovering the
ground lost. Its property is unquestionably valuable. It owns large ware-
houses in most desirable localities, which cannot but prove advantageous in
the near future.
The Board of Trustees for the year 1878 are: Hon. S. G. Hilborn, Vallejo;
Messrs. E. J. Wilson, A. T. Robinson, Vallejo; Hon. C. Hartson, Napa; and
Messrs Edmund R. White, and J. K. Duncan, of San Francisco and Vallejo;
while the officers are: President, Hon. S. G. Hilborn; Vice President, E. J.
Wilson; Treasurer, Hon. C. Hartson, and Secretary, J. K. Duncan.
Vallejo City Water Company. — Was incorporated in 1870. The present
directorship is: Messrs. A. Chabot, of Oakland, President; Louis Pierce,
and J. C. Edgecumbe, Superintendents; J. E. Abbott, Secretary, and A. J.
McPike, Cashier, Book-keeper, and acting Superintendent.
The main reservoir of the company is situated near the Napa road, three
miles north of the city, being constructed on a portion of 425 acres pur-
chased by the company at a sum of $42,000. The dam covers an extent of
224 THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.
160 acres; it is three hundred feet wide, by forty feet high, with 150 feet at
the base, and 100 feet at the apex. Its capacity is said to be 8 or 900,000,-
000 gallons. From this immense receptacle the fluid is conducted to the
city through twelve-inch cast-iron pipes, and thence distributed by branch
pipes aggregating more than sixteen miles in length. The town is watered
by two systems of piping, as follows: On the top of Capitol Hill there is a
reservoir which is filled by means of pumping, and thereafter distributed
by lesser pipes to those high positions which the water from the main reser-
voir will not reach. The pump in use is a No. 8 Hooker, driven by a sixty-
horse-power engine, and has a pumping capacity of about 500,000 gallons
in the twenty-four hours. Where the pump is located there is yet another
reservoir which has a capacity of 200,000 gallons, and is used to feed
the dam on the summit of the hill, when there is not sufficient pressure
from the main reservoir. The company also supplies the Mare Island
Navy Yard with 1,000,000 gallons per mensem, transmitted by means
of a sub-marine cast-iron pipe with flexible joints, a distance of two thou-
sand feet, across the bed of the Napa River. This water is used for irri-
gating purposes, as well as through the buildings and machine-shops, and with-
out doubt its acquisition has been a great saving to the government. Be-
sides this vast supply, the company provides the railway establishments, the
flour-mills, and the steamers which ply to San Francisco, with water. From
thirty to sixty ships per annum, after loading with grain, fill their tanks
from the company's pipes ere sailing for foreign lands, while the home con-
sumption amounts to fully three-fourths of the population.
The elevation of the main dam is eighty feet above the level of the sea ;
that on the hill is one hundred and fifty feet. In conclusion, there is an
admirable system, whereby, in case of fire, connection is made between the
Capitol Hill dam and the main pipes, which gives a pressure of 150 feet;
besides, in this regard, thirty five hydrants, of the very latest patterns, have
been placed at the most convenient street-corners.
Vallejo Gas Light Company — Incorporated July 23, 1867, with a capital
of $40,000, under the Directorship of J. B. Frisbie, President, and Harvey
W. Snow, Secretary. The Company erected their first buildings on Main
street, near the water front, by contract, for the whole of the original cap-
ital of $40,000, but these have given place to more spacious offices on Mary-
land, between Marin and Sonoma streets. In November, 1871, the capital
stock of the Company was increased to $250,000, when a new Retort
House was built to contain fifteen retorts capable of yielding 60,000 cubic
feet of gas per day. The consumption, however, is about 10,000 feet
daily. Gas is distributed through the city in main pipes aggregating about
five miles in length, which was first brought into requisition to light the
town towards the end of 1867. The present officers are J. K. Duncan,
President ; Hon. S. G. Hilborn, Secretary ; and P. B. Fegan, Superintend-
ent, who has held the position since the first organization of the Company.
THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY. 225
Bank of Vallejo — Was incorporated on September 25, 1876, with an
authorized capital of $150,000, under the management of D. W. Harrier as
President, and J. E. Abbott, Cashier, with Eben Hilton, Joseph Wilson,
Thomas Matthews, J. C. Edgecumbe, W. C. Greaves, N. Vanderlip, D. W.
Harrier, John Brownlie, Charles Widemann, as Directors. The present
management is as follows : W. C. Greaves, President ; S. C. Farnham, Vice-
President ; J. E. Abbott, Secretary and Cashier ; F. D. Mead, Assistant
Cashier, the Board of Directors being W. C. Greaves, S. C. Farnham, J. E.
Abbott, John Wilson, Joseph Wilson, Charles Widemann, G. B. Richart,
C. Hallin and 0. C. Chamberlain.
The Bank of Vallejo transacts its business in the Bernard Block, situated
on Georgia street, where it carries on a general banking and exchange
business. Draws on National Gold Bank and Trust Company of San
The Vallejo Savings and Commercial Bank. — This Bank was incor-
porated on May 3, 1870, with an authorized capital of $300,000, under the
management of J. B. Frisbie, President, and Henry Mackie, Cashier, the
Directors being J. B. Frisbie, H. Mackie, J. F. Tobin, Capt. C. H. Baldwin,
U. S. N., L. C. Fowler, D. C. Haskin and Edward McGettigan. The present
management is under E. J. Wilson, President, with J. R. English, Cashier,
the Board of Directors being E. J. Wilson, C. Hartson, A. T. Robinson, M.
Fletcher, P. W. Dillon, J. K. Duncan and S. G. Hilborn.
The building in which the Bank transacts its business is an imposing
structure, standing on the northwest corner of Georgia and Sacramento
streets, where it does a general banking and exchange business. Cor-