J. P Munro-Fraser.

History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. .. online

. (page 42 of 57)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

communication from California through Oregon and Washington Terri-
tory, to meet the Collins' line, which was proposed should cross at Behr-
ings Straits to Asia, Mr. Hubbs again entered the telegraph service, and
was appointed agent at the Swinomish station, which was the office where
all the business between the offices north of that station had to be repeated.
In 1868 he was transferred to Fort Vancouver, and here purchased a book-
store, which business he followed, in conjunction with that of telegraphy
and photography. In 1869 he sold out his book-store and proceeded to
Stockton, Sacramento, and Marysville, in the employ of the Western
Union Telegraph Co., when, in October, 1870, he was installed as Manager
of the Vallejo office.

In 1875 Mr. Hubbs was appointed a Notary Public by His Excellency
Governor Irwin, and reappointed in 1877. In the following year he was
selected by Governor Robinson Commissioner of Deeds for New York.

In 1876 he was elected a member of the Board of Education for Val-
lejo Township, and took strong grounds against excessive taxation and in
favor of promoting the advancement of the educational interests of Val-
lejo, which was appreciated by his constituents, who re-elected him, giv-
ing him the largest vote of any candidate who had opposition for office.

HUNTER, JAMES — Is a native of Ireland, but of Scotch parentage, who
had moved to the place of his nativity a few years previous to his birth, on
March 27, 1827. In 1840 his parents emigrated to America, settling near
Cedar Rapids, Linn county, Iowa ; where James was educated in the com-
mon schools. On May 1, 1849, Mr. Hunter and his brother left Iowa City,
Iowa, crossed the Plains, arrived at Lawson's rancho on the 23d of Octo-
ber following. During that winter he prospected for gold at Bidwell's
Bar, and meeting with fair success, but left the place the following spring,
going to Feather River, where his mining operations were more remune-
rative. In 1851 he located on the southeast branch of Feather River, but
in the fall of that year moved to Shasta county, Cal., and was the pro-



366 THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.

prietor of a feed and sale stable. From here he came to Vallejo township,
settling on his present farm in the Suscol hills. Here he owns 844 acres
of fertile valley land, and in Mendocino county 3,500 acres, as well as a
saw-mill and store.

From the foregoing it will be seen that the subject of this sketch is
connected, by direct descent, with the best Scottish blood, and came hon-
estly by the virtues which have characterized and advanced his private
life. He was never actively engaged in politics, but during his long resi-
dence and business career in this county, is regarded as an excellent citi-
zen, a quiet, energetic business man, enjoying the marked respect and
esteem of his neighbors and friends.

Married, by the Rev. Pierpoint, Presbyterian minister, at Petaluma,
Sonoma county, Cal., Miss Celia, daughter of Samuel C. Stewart, on Oct.
25, 1858. James William, born Aug. 5, 1859, Flora J. born Aug. 16, 1861,
Sarah A. born April 20, 1863, Harry S. born Feb. 4, 1873, Alena Maud
born Sept. 12, 1875, are their living children. Maggie Bell, born Oct. 12,
1865, died April 1, 1877; Frank Guss, born Jan. 27, 1868, died March 22,
1877 ; John Calvin, born Sept. 19, 1870, died March 23, 1877. These
children died of small pox.

JEFFERIS, P. E.— Born in Chester county, Pa., in the year 1828, where
he remained till 1846, having learned the trade of carpenter at Union, in
that county. He then removed to Wilmington, Delaware, and having
resided there for eighteen months went to Philadelphia and engaged in

the dry goods business until 1851, when he came to California, arriving in
San Francisco on February 8, 1852. In that year he went to Nevada
county, and for eighteen months prosecuted mining, at the end of which
he returned to Philadelphia and embarked in the furniture business, con-
tinuing it up to the spring of 1854, when he once more sailed for Califor-
nia. On his arrival he proceeded to Sierra county, leaving it in the fol-
lowing summer for Nevada county, where he commenced the livery busi-
ness, which he prosecuted for about fourteen years. On February 8, 1869,
he visited Vallejo, but it was not till May, 1870, that he permanently
settled in that city, when he obtained employment on Mare Island Navy
Yard, at which he was engaged till 1874, when he received the appoint-
ment of Foreman House-Joiner, in the Department of Yards and Docks,
a position which he still holds. Mr. Jefferis married in Philadelphia, on
September 26, 1854, Sarah, daughter of John Hinecle, of that city, by
whom he has Ida Florence ; Lizzie H. ; Mary L. ; and Enos P.

JONES, REV. EDWARD INSKIP, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, December
3, 1844,and came to San Francisco in May, 1850, where he attended the Pub-
lic Schools, continuously, till May, 1856. He accompanied his parents to



THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY. 367

San Jose, in 1862, whither they had gone to farm. Mr. Jones attended
the " University of the Pacific." at Santa Clara, and taught school over
two years, at intervals, between 1862 and 1867. Had ministry in view,
and made preparations, while at college and during his teachings, but
began the study of law in May, 1867, at San Francisco. Was admitted
to the Supreme Court of California in April, 1870, and practiced in that
city till September, 1871, at which time he joined the California Confer-
ence of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Was appointed to Ferndale,
September, 1871 ; to Eureka, September, 1873, and to Vallejo, Septem-
ber, 1876. Mr. Jones married October 8, 1876, Theresa I., daughter of
A. F. Broderick, of Eureka, Humboldt county, who was born in Colches-
ter, Nova Scotia, on March 1, 1861, by whom he has one child, Broderick,
born February 14, 1878.

KENNEDY, JOHN E., general merchandise, insurance agent and notary
public, was born in the count} 1 - of Kerry, in Ireland, in 1833. In 1849 he
emigrated to America, settling in Boston, Massachusetts. In 1854 he
arrived in California, and in 1856 proceeded to Mare Island. Two
years later he returned to Boston on a visit, but came back the same year.
In 1867 his present business was first established, and he was enrolled a
notary public in 1876. Mr. Kennedy was the first assessor after Vallejo
received its charter; while he is agent for the Imperial of London, London
of London, Northern of Liverpool, and Queen of Liverpool fire insurance
companies, with aggregate cash assets of $38,000,000. In 1863 he married
Catherine, daughter of John Deermy, of County Tyrone, Ireland, who
was born in 1843, by whom he has no issue.

KITTO, SAMUEL, is a native of Cornwall, England, having been born
there on April 19, 1830. In 1851 he came to San Francisco, in the ship
"Fairlie," of London. On his arrival he at once proceeded to Rich Bar, on
the North .Fork of Feather River, and began mining, remaining there till
1858, when he paid a visit to Old England, being absent for eight months.
He returned to his mining interests in 1859; after which he came to
Vallejo, where he has since resided. Mr. Kitto has been a trustee of the
M. E. Church since 1869; is also a prominent mover in the Temperance
cause, in which he has always taken a deep interest. In 1873 he was
elected one of the trustees of the Good Templars' Home for Orphans, a
position which he still holds. He married in Vallejo, May 9, 1861, Miss
Margaret Carter, a native of Ireland, by whom he has Margaret Loftee,
born April 5, 1862; Edward August, born May 29, 1864; Harriet Eliza-
beth, born November 27,1865; Samuel Henry, born October 10,1868;
and Lilian May, born April 30, 1873.



368 THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.

KLINK, REV. NATHANIEL B., pastor First Presbyterian Church, Vallejo,
was born in the townhsip of New Scotland, county of Albany, State
of New York, on February 5, 1823. His early education was ob-
tained in the public schools. He spent three years in the Albany Acade-
my, when Dr. T. Romeyn Beck was principal, and entered Union College
in 1845, and graduated July 26, 1847. In the Fall of 1848 he entered
the Theological Seminary of Princeton, and graduated from that institu-
tion in May, 1851. From this latter seminary he went directly to Oneida
Valley, where he passed one year in missionary labor. Thence he moved
to West Galway, Saratoga County, where he remained until June, 1853,
when he was called to the Presbyterian Church of Balston Spa, where he
was ordained and installed as pastor. Resigned this charge in 1855, and
was then called to the Presbyterian Church in Fairmount, Huntendon
County, New Jersey, remaining there until December, 1859, when he re-
signed this charge and came to California. He arrived in San Francisco
with his family on December 26, 1859, but, remaining there only a few
days, at once proceeded to Vallejo, where he has since resided, with the
exception of one year and three months, when he was acting-pastor of the
Presbyterian Church of Sacramento. Mr. Klink married, in 1853, Eliza-
beth, daughter of Timothy Seymour, a deacon in the North Dutch Church,
Albany, New York, by whom he has a family.

KLOPPENBURG, DANIEL WILLIAM, was born in Hanover, Germany,
November 16, 1822, where he remained till 1840, when he came to
America, first settling in New York City. Here he remained till August,
1846, and then joined Colonel Stevenson's regiment, which was bound for
California, but was persuaded by his brother not to proceed with it. On
August 2, 1846, he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and in partnership with his
brother opened a saloon in that city, which he continued till April 2,
1849, when he sailed for California, in the steamer "Lewis," of Cincinnati,
for -St. Louis, Missouri, and thence went to St. Joseph, Missouri, in com-
pany with three men who were to be his companions across the plains.
On arriving at St. Joseph, however, the party broke up and their impedi-
mento sold at auction. Mr. K. reserved to himself one mule, and, having
purchased a horse, using the mule as a pack animal, started on horseback
to cross the plains to California alone. After three days' travel he over-
took a party of Bostonians, and kept in their company until he reached
Fort Laramie. Here the whole cavalcade converted their train into one
for pack animals, setting fire to the wagons, with such articles as could
not be conveniently taken with them, and again started on their journey,
he traveling with them till they made Smith's trading post on Bear
River, where, seceding from the party, he proceeded alone to Green River,
Indian Territory. While pursuing his solitary ride he was taken seriously



THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY. 869

ill, and for three days lay in the sage-brush. Fortunately he soon re-
covered, and finding his animals had not strayed from his vicinity, he
once more was on the move, and when nearing the fifty mile desert
at the Sink of the Humboldt River he fell in, by chance, with a single
traveler from St. Louis. With him he crossed the weary waste, the two
keeping company till they reached the Golden State.

Mr. Kloppenburg first began mining at Wever Creek, near Hangtown
(now Placerville), where he continued for a short time, and then went to
Sacramento, and there remained till the Spring of 1850, when he moved
to Marysville; from thence to Rough and Ready mines, in Nevada County,
and here engaged in mining with good success till 1851, when he returned
to Marysville and entered into partnership with a Mr . Kennedy, in the
bakery business. In the Fall of 1851 he went to Greenwood Valley, El
Dorado County, and pursued mining operations till the Spring of 1852,
when, in company with others, he took up a claim at Spanish Bar, on the
American River, where he worked till driven away by the rainy season.
He again commenced the bakery business at Spanish Bar Bridge, which
he continued till early in 1853, at which time he went to Michigan Bluffs,
in Placer County, and established a like connection at that place, continu-
ing it till 1856, when he left for San Francisco. In the Summer of 1857
Mr. K. proceeded to Sacramento, where, on August 3, 1857, he married
Margaret A. Harrison. He then returned to Michigan Bluffs, bought back
his former business, and in connection with it opened a hotel, which he
carried on till 1867, during which time his establishments were twice
burned. In this year the subject of this sketch returned to San Fran-
cisco and started a grocery, which he managed till 1868, when he removed
to South Vallejo, and engaged principally in the draying business. Mr.
Kloppenburg is a member of the Vallejo Pioneer Association, and of the
Naval Lodge of F. and A. M., No. 83. His children are Annie, Otto and
William, and two deceased — Eddie and Etta.

LAMONT, JAMES A., born in Cuyahoga county, Ohio, in 1842, July 9th,
where he resided for the first six years of his life, after which he was
taken by his parents to Little Rock, Arkansas, and remained there
two years, thence moved to Nashville, Tennessee, and afterward to Boone
county, Kentucky, where he resided for five years. Came to this county
with his parents in 1854, where he engaged in farming for several years.
In 1865 Mr. Lamont graduated at the Benicia College and Law School,
and was admitted to the bar, practiced in Napa and Grass Valley, Nevada
county, for a year and a half, when he returned to Nashville, to wind up
the estate of his parents, remaining there three years. In 1869 he re-
turned, and in September of the following year purchased the interest of
J. E. Williston, and became partner in the firm of Egery & Lamont. He
24



370 THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.

married, in San Francisco, January 17, 1878, Miss Sara D. Barry, a native
of New York, who was born in December, 1853, by whom he has one son,
James Barry.

MALLETT, GEO. F., Assistant Naval Constructor. Born in the town of
Topsham, Lincoln county, Maine, October 23, 1832, where he remained
until 1849. He learned his trade, that of shipwright, at Bath, Maine,
where he remained until October, 1856, when he emigrated west and set-
tled in Berlin, Wis., remaining there twenty months, when he returned
East, and on June 5, 1858, he sailed from New York, on the steamer
" Moses Taylor," to the Isthmus, where he took the steamer " John L.
Stephens," arriving in San Francisco June 28th of the same year, follow-
ing his trade in San Francisco and Benicia until November 20, 1861, at
which time he came to Mare Island, and on March 14, 1870, he was ap-
pointed Foreman Shipwright, when, on January 22, 1872, he was ap-
pointed Assistant Naval Constructor, which position he still holds, giving
satisfaction to all. Mr. Mallett married his first wife, Mary D. Hilton, in
Bath, Maine, January 29, 1854. She was born in Maine in 1826, and
died July 26, 1859. Married his present wife, Mary E. Speck, February
22, 1863, by whom he has Mary E., born April 24, 1864 ; Lena B., born
August 13, 1867, and died December 28, 1877 ; Carrie W.,born March 31,
1869 ; George F., born September 19, 1872 ; Levi C, born July 26, 1874,
and William H., born September 25, 1876. Mr. Mallett is a member of
the F. and A. M. Lodge, No. 87, and also Past Master of same institution,
as well as Past High Priest of the Naval Chapter. He was appointed to
select the Masonic Cemetery, and has very prominently identified him-
self with other orders.

MUCH, U. S. N., GEO. W., the Naval Constructor at Mare Island, is a
native of Philadelphia, Pa., and born on 22d June, 1825. Here he re-
ceived his primary education in the common schools, and his academical
learning at the Stockdale Academy. Here, also, he learned and became
proficient in the ship-carpenter's trade. In 1846 he went to New Orleans,
thence down to the swamps of Louisiana, cutting live oaks for ship tim-
bers. For two years he followed this pursuit, then returned to Philadel-
phia, where he married, in November, 1848, Miss Eleanor W., daughter of
George W. Barn, formerly of Maryland. About this time he went into
business — pertaining to his trade — on his own account, which he con-
tinued, at intervals, until 1858, when he was employed in the Navy Yard
as foreman of the construction department. On May 17, 1866, went into
the regular naval service, and appointed Assistant Naval Constructor ; at
the same time received oiders to report at Charlestown Navy Yard,
Boston, Mass. In 1869 returned to Philadelphia Navy Yard, where he



THE HISTORY OP SOLANO COUNTY. 371

remained until April 15, 1871, when he was promoted Naval Constructor,
and repaired to the Washington Navy Yard. Came to Mare Island Navy
Yard in June, 1873, where he has been an able and efficient officer, at
the head of the Construction Department.

MACDONALD, REV. DAVID F., D. D., Rector of the Church of the Ascen-
sion, Vallejo, is a native of Rosshire, Scotland, having been born there
in the year 1837. He received his early education in Inverness, the capi-
tal of the Highlands, and thereafter prosecuted his studies at the Edin-
burgh University, at which seat of learning he received the degree of
Master of Arts. In 1854 he was sent with Letters Dismissary by the Lord
Bishop of Moray and Ross, the present Primate of the Scottish Episco-
pacy, to the Bishop of California, and arrived in that State in September,
1855, and was, shortly after, ordained by Bishop Ingraham Kip in the old
Trinity Church, in San Francisco, his being the first Episcopal ordination
held on the Pacific Coast.

In the following year he was directed by the Bishop to assume charge of
the missionary district of Benicia, where he performed service in a tem-
porary building fitted up for the purpose. While there Doctor MacDon-
ald was the spiritual adviser of Beverly Wells, the first criminal hanged
in Solano county. From Benicia he was moved to Coloma, El Dorado
county, where he continued his missionary labors for two years, and built
a church, and established a congregation at Hangtown (now Placerville).
In 1859 he was called, as Rector, to St. John's Church, Stockton, where
he labored for two years further, and, on the breaking out of the war, he
proceeded to North Carolina, and followed the fortimes of the Southern
army, until peace was declared. At this period he was the recipient of a
call to St. James', Olean, Western New York, where he remained three
years, and from there was called to Sag-Harbor, Long Island, having
charge of the Episcopal Church there for seven years. In 1875 he went
to Sharon, Conn., and, at the end of two years, assumed charge of Baxter
County School, Arkansas, for one year ; he then went to Dardanelles, in
that State, where he erected St. Paul's Episcopal Church, of which he was
Rector until 1878, when he accepted a call to the Church of the Ascen-
sion at Vallejo. Was created a Doctor of Divinity in 1859. Dr. Mac-
Donald married, first, in 1865, Nellie, only daughter of Daniel Judd, of
Hinsdale, Western New York, who died in 1869, by whom he has Flora,
born in 1866 ; and Katie, born in 1869. He married, secondly, at Trinity
Church, New York, August 13, 1874, Susannah, daughter of George W.
Whitaker, of the Manor, Oxford, England.

McCUDDEN JAMES, dealer, in wood, coal, lumber and groceries, was born
in the county of Fermanagh, in Ireland, in 1837, and arrived in the United



372 THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.

States in 1853, first settling in the city of New York, where he remained
some years, when he came to California, in 1857. In 1861 he opened the
Union Hotel in Vallejo, remaining its proprietor for ten years. In 1874
his present business was established, and two years afterwards he first
started in the lumber trade. Mr. McCudden is one of Vallejo's most hon-
ored citizens; his election to the Board of Supervisors in 1877 proving
the estimation in which he is held.

McDERMOTT, ROBERT, born in Ireland in 1841, and came to America
in 1842 with his parents, who settled in Lower Canada, where they re-
sided till 1848, when they moved to Upper Canada. In 1859 he crossed
to the United States, and took up his residence in McComb county, Mich-
igan, remaining there till 1860. In April of this year he enlisted in Co.
A., Ninth U. S. Infantry, and was stationed in the Detroit -Recruiting
district for some time, when he went to the North Pass of the Rocky
mountains, where he got his discharge under the Minor's Act. He re-
mained in that section of the country till the fall of 1863, when he again
enlisted in the First Oregon Infantry, and served till the end of the war.
Arrived in Vallejo in June, 1867, and purchased the one-half interest of
F. O'Grady, in the Empire Soda Works. Married April 19, 1869, Catha-
rine Monaghan, a native of Ireland.

McDONALD, T. P., born in Galena, Joe Davies county, Illinois, March 21,
1850, and in 1857 moved with his parents to Nevada county, California,
where he remained till 1867, when he came to Vallejo, and entered into
the employment of E. McGettigan, in the wholesale liquor business, until
1875, when he became clerk at the Howards, filling that position till Sep-
tember, 1878, when he formed his present partnership with James Ward.
Mr. McDonald has been a member of the Vallejo Rifles since 1869; held
the office of Second Lieutenant for four years, and was promoted to be
First Lieutenant in May, 1877.

McDONALD, WILLIAM, born in Frostburg, Alleghany Co., Maryland, in
1850, and moved with his parents to California in 1854, first settling in
San Francisco, where they remained three months, and then accompanied
them to Vallejo. In 1867 he began an apprenticeship in the bricklayer's
department in the Mare Island Navy Yard, where he was employed till
elected City Marshal by the Republican party in 1878. Mr. McDonald's
father died in Vallejo, Sept. 19th, 1875 ; his mother is still living, how-
ever, and makes her home with him. He married, May 29th, 1870, Miss
Mary Brown, by whom he has two children : Amelia, born April 8, 1871,
and William, born February 10, 1875.



THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY. 373

McGETTIGAN, EDWARD, was born in County Donegal, Ireland, March
20, 1840, and emigrated to America in 1856, arriving in New York in
January, 1857. He at once removed to Philadelphia, where he sojourned
one year, at the end of which he sailed, via Panama, for San Francisco,
arriving there in June, 1858. He lost no time, but went to the moun-
tains and engaged in mining in Butte county. In May, 1859, he located
in Vallejo. In 1862 he established the Vallejo Brewery in company with
A. Murray and James McGarvey, but sold out his interest in 1865.
Shortly after this date he opened the Empire Soda Works. In 1874, the
Vallejo Brewery was in the market ; he therefore purchased it, changing
its name to the Pioneer Brewery, after having first rebuilt and refurnished
it.

To Mr. McGettigan, aided by General Frisbie, is due the building of the
street-car railroad in Vallejo, whereby real estate was improved to the
extent of many thousands of dollars, enhancing thereby the condition of
many of the poorer class of citizens. He was twice elected to fill the re-
sponsible position of City Trustee ; how well he discharged the duties of
that office, the records of the corporation can truly attest ; and as one of
the Directors of the Saving and Commercial Bank, his true honesty is best
told by the valuable services rendered in placing that institution upon a
sound and solid basis, rendering that aid, which the general crash de-
manded, by surrendering the earnings of twenty years' toil to meet his
obligations and perpetuate his honor and integrity as a man and a worthy
citizen. Mr. McGettigan is also largely interested with General J. B.
Frisbie in the following mines in New Mexico : Consolidated Hidalgo,
and Esperanza Consolidated, ventures which bear every promise of being
both valuable and fruitful. He married in 1864, Miss Mary A. O'Grady.

McINNIS, J. A., (grocer) was born in Prince Edwards Islands on March
4, 1838, where he remained till 1855, being raised on a farm ; emigrated
to Boston, Mass., in 1855, and engaged in working at different occupations
till June 7, 1857. at which time he joined the U. S. Navy as a marine
and was stationed at the Charleston Navy Yard, making a cruise on tha
U. S. " Merrimac " to the South Pacific Squadron ; stationed there till
1860 ; returned to Norfork. Virginia, and was transferred to Charlestown
Navy Yard, Mass.; remained on duty as a non-commissioned officer till
September, 1861 ; transferred to headquarters, Washington, D. C, and
joined the Marine Batallion, under Major John G. Reynolds, and joined
the expedition under Commodore Dupont and General W. T. Sherman,