J. P Munro-Fraser.

History of Solano County...and histories of its cities, towns...etc. .. online

. (page 47 of 57)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

that year, had commenced the business of shipping grain to Liverpool.
The rejection of the Suscol grant by the courts, shortly after, put an end
to the General's wheat speculations, and Mr. Gillespie left his employment,
and engaged in the drug business at Maine Prairie, in partnership with
Dr. S. K. Baker, — remaining there until the March of 1864, when he went
into the Sheriff's office at Fairfield, under his brother, who was Sheriff,
as deputy and jailor. At the end of the term, in March, 1866, he removed
to Suisun City, and, during that summer, was the active projector and
and first secretary and superintendent of the present Suisun and Fairfield
Water Company. In September of that year, in partnership with Wood-
ford Owens, Jr., he purchased the Solano Press, a newspaper, published
at Suisun, and, under the firm-name of Geo. A. Gillespie & Co., continued
the publication of that newspaper until the latter part of 1869, when the
Solano Press and Solano Herald were merged into a new paper, called
the Solano Republican, published by Powers & Gillespie. This firm con-
tinued the publication of the Republican until 1872, when Mr. Gillespie
sold his interest to his partner, 0. B. Powers, and soon after removed to



408 THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.

Antioch, in Contra Costa county, where he was engaged in business for
about two years, returning to the county in 1874, to go into the Record-
er's office, as a deputy, under his brother, whose failing health incapaci-
tated him from attending to the duties of his position. Recorder Gilles-
pie dying before his term of office expired, William Wolf was appointed
Recorder, and Mr. Gillespie was reappointed deputy under him, and re-
mained in the office to the close of the term, in March, 1876. Having been
elected a Justice of the Peace for Suisun township the fall before, he then
opened an office in Suisun, and, for the term following, was an acting
Justice of the Peace and Notary Public. In March, 1878, he was ap-
pointed Deputy County Clerk under Alex. Dunn, which position he holds
at the writing of this book.

Mr. Gillespie is a man of positive convictions and of activity of character,
and has taken a prominent part in public affairs, his name appearing, all
along through the annals of the county, for the past twenty-seven years.

In 1862 Mr. Gillespie was married to Miss Mary E. Crousy, a native of
Auburn, New York, who is well known in musical circles as a good vo-
calist and an excellent piano performer, besides enjoying the distinction
of being a Past Worthy Grand Matron of the adopted Rite of Eastern
Star, of the State of California. To this union two children were born,
a son, named Guilford, and a daughter, named Rena, born respectively on
October 16th, 1863, and July 19th, 1871.

GOODWIN, B. H., a native of Oxford county, Maine, born Nov. 22,
1829, where he was educated and learned the trade of blacksmith, which
he has followed as a business ever since. At the age of 20 he went to
Southborrow, Mass., and remained a short time, thence back to his birth-
place on a short visit, thence to Rockford, Mass., where he worked at
trade for about four months, after which, he proceeded to Boston and
started on a whaling voyage ; went around the Cape of Good Hope to the
Oakheart Sea, and from there to the Sandwich Island, where he remained
about four months, when he returned to Oakheart Sea, and from there to
the Islands, where he remained and worked at trade four months longer,
and then shipped again for the Oakheart Sea, where he remained several
months, following trade and whaling, when he again returned to Sand-
wich Islands. After remaining here about six months came to San
Francisco, arriving May, 1856. After remaining one month in Auburn,
Placer county, he came to this county and settled in Benicia, where he
remained until December, 1856. He then returned to Sandwich Islands,
and remained through the winter, and in the spring returned to Benicia,
where he followed his trade until September, when he came to this valley
and worked at trade near the marble quarry, about four miles north-east
of Suisun. About two months later he settled in Fairfield, where he



THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY. 409

built a shop, in company with J. Foster, which they conducted but a few
months, when Mr. Goodwin went to Suisun and worked for Sim. Ramsay
for about one year, when he bought Mr. Ramsay out, and entered into
partnership with L. H. Fowler. They remained together about one year,
after which he worked for different parties for about one and a-half
years, when he again settled in Fairfield, where he has been doing busi-
ness on his own account ever since. Mr. Goodwin married Miss Catherine
Cronan, October 30, 1859. Minnie E., Katie L., (deceased,) Katie E.,
Benjamin C. (deceased,) Laura E., George P., Nellie F., (deceased,) are the
names of their children.

GREGORY, JOHN M., second son and third child of Hon. John M.
Gregory, and Amanda M. Wallace, was born March 6, 1840, at Williams-
burg, Virginia; removed to Richmond in 1841, and lived in and near
Richmond till the fall of 1860; entered Richmond Baptist College in
March, 1853, and graduated in June, 1857, with the degree of B. A.; then
went to the University of Virginia ; remained there three sessions and
graduated in 1860, as Master of Arts ; then commenced the study of law
with Thomas Wallace, his mother's brother, and continued the study of
law with his father, until the month of May, 1861 ; entered the Confed-
erate Army, joining the Richmond Light Infantry Blues, an infantry com-
pany commanded by Capt. O. J. Wise, a son of General Henry A. Wise,
to whose brigade the company was attached ; served for two months, and
then, in August, 1861, joined the Rockbridge Artillery, attached to the
Stonewall Brigade, as a private, and remained in that company until
February, 1863 ; was then appointed 1st Lieutenant of artillery, and
was assigned to duty with Col. Win. Allen, chief advance officer of
Stonewall Jackson's corps ; was then assigned to duty as Chief of Ad-
vance of the artillery of the same corps ; was afterwards promoted to
Captain of Artillery, and left the army at Appomattox^C. H., after the
surrender of Gen. Lee ; then resumed the study of law, but carried on
the lumber business at the same time, until the fall of 1868 ; came to
California, by the Isthmus of Panama, arriving in October, 1868 ; taught
school until September, 1869, and then entered upon the practice of law,
at Vallejo, Solano county ; was City Atttorney and City Clerk,of Vallejo,
and in December, 1873, was 'elected County Judge, of Solano county,
and served four years ; was re-elected in October, 1877, and is now
County Judge. Was married May 1, 1872, to Evalyn T. Craven, third
daughter of Rear- Admiral Thos. T. Craven U. S. N., and now has two
children, John M. Gregory, Jr., born in Suisun, Solano county, June 26,
1875, and Thos. Craven Gregory, born at the same place, October 4, 1878.

GREEN, GEORGE, is a native of Middlesex county, Mass., where he was
born May 15, 1828, and was educated in his native county. In 1840,



410 THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.

moved to Wooster county in that State, residing there until September
15, 1852, at which time he emigrated to California, remaining in Sacra-
mento for three months. Soon after the fire, which occurred in that city
November 25, 1852, he settled in San Francisco, remaining till 1853, when
he returned to Sacramento. In February, 1855, he came to Suisun, Sola-
no county, where he has since resided. Married Georgia S., daughter of
Joseph Spiller, from western Massachusetts, September 21, 1871. Mr.
Green, for many years, has been engaged in stock-raising, and is now with
Harvey Rice in the butcher business.

HAILE, HONORABLE R. C. The subject of this sketch is a native of
Smith county, Tennessee, receiving his early education at Nashville, after
which he moved to Sumner county, and there engaged in mercantile pur-
suits from the years 1836 to 1839. On the 17th November, of the first-
mentioned year, he married Miss Susan C, daughter of Joseph Seawell,
when he proceeded to Lafayette county, Miss., and was respectively em-
ployed in school-teaching, book -keeping, and clerking. Here he remained till
the spring of 1849, at which time he emigrated to California, crossing the
plains with an ox-team, (leaving his family at Lafayette) and arrived at
Sacramento on October 7th, of that year. At this place Mr. Haile re-
mained but a short time, when he went to Nevada City, and there pur-
sued mining, which he followed for about a year ; he next moved to
Napa valley and farmed, in partnership with L. C. Burroughs, and Major
John H. Seawell ; with this occupation was combined that of lumbering.
The partnership was dissolved in 1857, when Mr. Haile, still continuing
farming, added merchandizing to his business. In the fall of 1858 he
sold out and purchased his present property in Suisun valley, consisting
of 510 acres, situated about seven miles northwest of Fairfield, where he
has since resided.

Mr. Haile has taken a very prominent lead in the affairs of the State in the
section in which he has resided. In the year 1853, when in Napa county,
he was elected to the Supervisoral chair, which he occupied for three
years. In 1855 he was elected to the Legislature, from the same county,
serving during the session of 1856. In Solano county he has twice rep-
resented the district in the Legislature, in the sessions of 1869-70 and
1877-78 ; while he has served as a School Trustee ever since his arrival
in it.

Mr. Haile's life, however, has not been all a pleasant sunshine. We have
mentioned above that when first coming to California he had left his wife
in Lafayette ; in 1851 he returned for her and his family, and commenced
the fatigue of crossing the plains, with them, at the same time having in
charge 100 head of cattle. When at Platte river, Mrs. Haile was siezed
with cholera, from the effects of which she succumbed on June 2, 1852-



THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY. 411

Here, far away from friends, on the lonely waste of an unknown border,
was this fair pioneer buried, near Fort Kearney, on that river, leaving
naught but a mound, heaped by loving hands ; the last tender offering to
a devoted wife and mother, by her sorrowing husband and children. On
September 21, 1853, Mr. Haile re-married, Mrs. Susan D. Sears, of Suisun.
His children by his first marriage are : Joseph S., born August 16, 1837 ;
Martha A., born March 27, 1839 ; Leeman, born November 25,
1840; Sarah J., born September 16, 1843; John W., born August 23,
1846 ; and Susan H., born December 1848. By his second wife there
are : Harriett E., born July 13, 1854 ; James H., born May 22, 1857 ;
Lucy W., born July 27, 1859 ; Richard C, born November 13, 1862.
Leeman died June 13, 1873.

HALE, DAVID, is a native of Oakland county, Michigan, and born Nov.
19th, 1839, where he was educated and followed farming. In 1860, he
emigrated to California, landing in San Francisco on April 24th, of that
year. On April 25th, he came to Suisun, and was employed by J. B.
Hoyt, the greater part of the time, for four years, aiter which he followed
teaming six years over the Sierra Nevada mountains. In 1869, he
bought what was known as the Ewing ranch, comprising one hundred
acres, three and a-half miles west from Suisun. September 8, 1869, he
married Laura P. Wing, a native of Maine. Louisa A., and William, are
their children.

HAMMOND, E. A., a native of Simpson county, Ky.; born October 8, 1837.
At the age of one year he moved, with his uncle, David J. Clayton, to
Jackson county, Mo. (he being an orphan), where he lived until 15 years
old, when he emigrated, in company with his uncle, to California, crossing
the plains with ox teams, arriving in Suisun valley October, 1852. He
worked at farming in this county until 1856, when he went to Sonoma
county, where he engaged in the sheep business, remaining there one
year, and thence to Napa county, and engaged in the cattle trade, where
he remained about two years. He then returned to this county and set-
tled in the upper end of Suisun valley, where he farmed for one year, and
then turned speculator, dealing in horses and cattle, and working by the
month until 1867. Married Miss Catherine Ives, April 7, 1867. He then
rented a farm, which he occupied for about two years, in Napa county,
and then purchased a farm in Pope valley, Napa county, where he re-
remained for four years. He then returned to this county, and farmed
the widow Clayton farm, in Suisun valley, which he conducted one year.
After farming in different parts of this county and Napa for a few years,
he made a trip to Texas, where he remained about eight months, when
he returned to California, and, after working for a few months as a farm



412 THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.

hand, leased the ranch where he now resides, in Suisun valley. Mary F.,
Charles C. (deceased), James S., and William E. are the names of their
children.

HOOPER, THOMAS P., the proprietor of the Fairfield Hotel, was born in
Essex county, Mass., November 28, 1840. Here he received his primary
education. In May, 1857, he emigrated to this State, settling in Benicia,
completing his education at the St. Augustine College in that city. He
was appointed Deputy Recorder, which position he filled fourteen months,
and then moved to Collinsville and followed merchandizing, and was ap-
pointed Postmaster. In the fall of 1875 he was elected County Auditor;
the following spring permanently locating in Fairfield. At the expira-
tion of his office he bought the Fairfield Hotel and has since been its pro-
prietor. Married Anna E. Nichols, daughter of Capt. Moses Nichols, of
Benicia. Their children are Minnie S., Lillie E., and Frank.

HOYT, W. K., is a native of Fairfield, Franklin county, Vt., and was born
on August 7, 1829. Here he received his primary education at the com-
mon schools. Moved to New York City in 1846, and resided with his
uncle, W. K. Hoyt, a lawyer in that city, and received his academical edu-
cation at the " Mechanics High School." His father took up his resi-
dence in that city some time after Mr. Hoyt arrived there, engaging in
the drug trade. The subject of this sketch went to Saratoga county, N.
Y., from which he emigrated to California via the Isthmus, and arrived
in San Francisco February 3, 1852, settling on Spring Flat, El Dorado
county, where he was engaged principally in mining, but a portion of the
time was employed as a farmer. In October, 1859, he came to Suisun }
Solano county, and for over three years was engaged in the butcher busi-
ness, but in the fall of 1863 sold out and went to Austin, Nevada Terri-
tory, and was one of the electors who cast a vote for the first constitution,
of that State. On his return to Suisun, in 1865, he was elected Super-
intendent of the Suisun and Fairfield Water Works, and in the meantime
was engaged in the grocer trade in company with E. D. Perkins, but sold
his interest in the store to that gentleman a few years ago and has since
pursued various occupations. Was the Republican nominee for County
Treasurer in 1877, and is the present candidate for that office by the same
party. Married in Sacramento, Cal., Miss Hannah E., daughter of G. A.
Hoyt, a native of Lower Canada, March 5, 1859. She was born April 30,
1841.

HUBBARD, HENRY, came to California with a company organized at Hart-
ford, Connecticut, on barque " Selma," Captain Sellew, arriving in San
Francisco October 5, 1849 ; resided in Sacramento the following winter,



THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY 413

a time of " high water." and great suffering among many of the people at
that place. In the spring — 1850 — he went to the mines at Caldwell's
Diggings, now Nevada City, and followed mining and trading, in what
are now Nevada, Yuba, and Placer counties, with the exception of the
time occupied by a visit to his friends in his native State and the State
of Georgia — from May, 1852, to October, 1853 — until July 5, 1856, at
which time he settled at Suisun, where he has since resided. In 1861, he
was elected Justice of the Peace and Associate Justice of the Court of
Sessions, and up to this time has held the position of Justice of the Peace
— nearly ten years. In 1862, soon after the commencement of the war of
the Southern rebellion, with the aid and encouragement of others, he estab-
lished the newspaper called the Solano Press, through which to uphold
and encourage all friends of the cause of his country, and continued its
management until the fall of 1866, when he retired. It can be truthfully
said that he has been specially interested in all matters of public interest
in his adopted home.
He was born in Bloomfield, Connecticut, May 24, 1820, and received his
early education at the public schools of his native county, and at the
Connecticut Literary Institution, at Suffield. Married Clarissa Eliza-
beth House, in 1846, who died in 1868. He again married, January 26,
1878, Elizabeth (Alderman) Jackson. Has two children by his first mar-
riage — Henry F., and Julia.

JONES, JOHN M., the Under-sheriff of Solano county, was born in Wayne
county, Kentucky, March 30, 1832. In 1836 he, with his parents, moved
to Howard county, Missouri, but after one year, settled in Scotland county
in that State, where Mr. Jones received his early education, and finished
the same at the State University, in Boone county. In 1853 he crossed
the plains with an ox-team, also bringing a drove of cattle, which he dis-
posed of and settled in Suisun, in September, of that year. During the
years 1855-6 he was engaged in mercantile trading, having built a build-
ing for that purpose in the rear of Reeve's corner brick block. He after-
wards engaged in the lumber trade, under the firm name of Jackson &
Jones, which he continued until his appointment as Under-sheriff, in 1857,
by Sheriff B. T. Osborne, which position he held during the official term.
In the years 1860-1 we find him engaged in the livery business, which he
had bought of Mr. Barton, when he moved to Austin, Lander county,
Nevada, but returned to this county in 1866, engaging in farming until
March, 1876, when he was again appointed Under-sheriff, which position
he now fills. Married, in this county, Isabella, daughter of Hugh Pen-
nel, November 19, 1857. The names of their living children are : Jennie,
Helen, Etta, and Katie. James L. died in infancy.



414 THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.

KENNEDY, W. T., born in Fredericks county, Maryland, October 5, 1814.
Here he was educated. December 16, 1835, he moved to Lafayette, Ind.,
where he served an apprenticeship at the saddle and harness business, and
followed it in St. Louis, Missouri, where he moved in 1844. After going
to Keokuk to reside three months, he returned to St. Louis, Missouri, and
on December 16, 1848, started for California via New Orleans and the
Isthmus, arriving in San Francisco May 22, 1849. For several years after
coming to this State he was engaged in mining, and after drifting around
for awhile, following different occupations, he came, on August 15, 1856,
to Suisun city, where he has since resided. On December 12, 1858, in
this town, he married Annie Maloney. They have five children, whose
names are as follows : Willie T., Anna Laura, George H., Mary C, and
John Francis.

KERNS, J. W., was born in New York City, June 19, 1842. When four
years old he went, with his parents, to Rochester, New York, where he
received his primary education. After remaining here about ten years
he moved to Detroit, Michigan, where he learned the tinner's trade, and
was employed in the railroad shops, doing their tin and copper work, up
to the time he left for New York City, in May, 1861, taking passage on
the steamer " North Star," for California, landing in San Francisco in July
of that year. From here he went to Sacramento, working at his trade
for three months, when he moved to Downieville, Sierra county, Cali-
fornia, following the same occupation until July, 1863; thence to Virginia
City, remaining until November of that year. Returned to San Fran-
cisco, and remained until December, 1863, when he came to Suisun, work-
ing for F. J. McGarvey and others, when he went into business for him-
self, June, 1873, being that of a hardware and tin store. Married, October
25, 1876, Miss Josie Odell, of Sacramento. She was born August 5, 1855.

KINLOOH, JOHN G., a native of this county, born in Benicia, Solano
county, California, April 13, 1855. Came to Suisun in company with his
parents in December, 1859. Here he lost both father and mother. His
father, James W. Kinloch, was a native of South Carolina. He died
February 9, 1861. His mother, a native of Florida, died February 11,
1878. The subject of this sketch was educated in Suisun, at the high
school, after which he entered the store of E. D. Perkins, as clerk, in 1873,
and has since been constantly in his employ. He is a young man of
ability, and not only has the confidence of his employer, but has the esteem
and good will of all who know him.

LAMONT, GEORGE A., was born in Cuyahoga county, Ohio, June 19, 1844.
In 1847 moved with his parents to Little Rock, Arkansas, and in 1850



THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY. 415

proceeded with them to Boone county, Kentucky, where he commenced
his early education. In September, 1854, they came to Solano county
and settled in Vallejo, where he received the ground of that education
which has since stood him in such good stead. In 1861 he went to the
Collegiate Institute at Benicia, where he graduated in 1863, taking a high
position in the law department. Was admitted to practice in 1865, and
was elected District Attorney in 1869, taking his seat in 1870. Came to
Fairfield in 1876, where he has since continued in the practice of his pro-
fession. Married Hattie E., daughter of John E. Yount, and has one
daughter, Ellen.

LE GRO, RICHARD P., was born in Cumberland county, Maine, July 4,
1844. Here his parents died, and he went to Boston, Massachusetts, re-
siding there until the breaking out of the Rebellion in 1861, when he en-
listed in the Twenty-fifth Maine Volunteer Infantry, a regiment raised
for the nine months' service, and honorably discharged at the expiration
of the term. In 1863 we find him in Norfolk, Virginia, whither he had
gone to work in the gas-works, with a brother-in-law, for nine months;
after which he returned to Boston, again enlisting, in the regular army,
serving three years, and discharged at 'the barracks in Omaha, Nebraska,
in 1868. After returning to Boston on a visit, he came to Suisun, arriving
October, 1868, securing a place in the Suisun City Mills, which he still
occupies. Married, in this city, Miss Kate, daughter of C. D. Smith, July
4, 1872. Bertie L. and Eva A. are their children.

LEITHEAD, WILLIAM, native of Roxburgh, Scotland, born March 28,
1838. His parents emigrated to Canada when he was but six months
old. Here he received his education, and learned the trade of carpenter.
At the age of twenty-two years he emigrated to California, arriving in
San Francisco June 3, 1859, and immediately came to this county, where
he labored on a farm for nearly two years, when he went to Nevada and
followed teaming for sixteen months, and then returned to this county,
and worked for S. K. Nurse two years. In June, 1865, he returned to
Canada and spent three years, and one year in Illinois, returning to this
county in 1869. After following his trade one year he engaged in farm-
ing with his brother James, for two years. In the Spring of 1874 took a
trip to Carson, and returned in the Fall of 1875, since which time he has
followed his trade. In February, 1879, he purchased a farm of four hun-
dred and eighty acres, four miles due north from Suisun, and will make
farming his business in future.

LEMON, JOHN B., son of the Honorable J. M. Lemon, was born in
Clark county, Indiana, on December 19, 1825, and ten years later he
moved to La Porte, Indiana, at which place he was educated. In 1849 he



416 THE HISTORY OF SOLANO COUNTY.

came to California, and was one of that great number of pioneers who
have done so much to place this State in the proud position it holds in
America. On first arriving Mr. Lemon settled in El Dorado county, where
he resided two years, occasionally engaging in mining; while, during the
Winter of 1849-50, he was located at Kelsey's Dry Diggings, where he
opened and managed a store for general merchandise. From thence he
went to Coloma, where he remained a short time and pursued the same
occupation. In the Spring of 1850 he transferred his interests to Green-