the first branch of the order was organized Sept. 4,
1879, by J. W. Mertz, J. W. Rooney, P. O'Brien,
James Mullen, A. R. Rivet, Robert Parkinson,
F. W. Stephens, J. P. Kane, and Daniel Gray.
Among other prominent promoters of the order in
St. Louis are J. St. Cyr, J. W. O'Connell, J. Guig-
non, P. Monahan, Dr. F. Lutz, M. J. Brennan, A.
Finney, John J. O'Neill, J. Moran, M. Haughey, F.
A. Rogers, Henry McCabe, M. W. Hogan, and others.
There are thirteen branches in St. Louis, with about
nine hundred members. The membership in Mis-
souri is about fourteen hundred. The State Council
was organized April 12, 1882, with the following
Spiritual Director, Rev. W. II. Brantner, St. Louis; Presi-
dent, John J. Thompson, St. Louis; Vice-President, H. B.
Denker, St. Charles ; Secretary, P. O'Brien, St. Louis ; Treas-
urer, James Glass, Sedalia.
The Band of Hope. The Chapter of Temperance
and Wisdom may justly be regarded as the parent of
an important and useful organization among the young
known as " Bands of Hope." To these youth of
both sexes are admitted, and the pledge enjoins absti-
nence from tobacco, profanity, and intoxicating liquors.
The first band was organized April 14, 1861, and the
chief promoter was H. D. Moore, who had been a
prominent worker in all the temperance orders of
the period. Five small boys were all that could be
mustered for charter members. One of them was
chosen president, but soon Mr. Moore was elected
to that position, and has occupied it continuously
until the present. The society grew rapidly, and at
intervals has had five hundred members, and for the
past ten years has averaged three hundred. It has
assisted in the organization of numerous societies of
a similar character, many of which flourished for a
season and finally died, but several still live and are
The band was organized at the corner of Wash-
ington Avenue and Fourth Street, over what was
then Tichnor's clothing-store; it met here a year,
and subsequently for six years at Dr. Post's church,
Tenth and Locust Streets ; it then made several
changes, and occupied the " old Ebenezer Church,"
Seventh Street and Washington Avenue, where it was-
RELIGIOUS, BENEVOLENT, SOCIAL, SECRET, AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS. 1769
burned out. After one or two more removals it
located in il Avenue Hall," northeast corner of Wash-
ington Avenue and Ninth Streets, in a building erected
by Mr. Moore himself, but the Lindell Hotel having
been destroyed by fire, and Washington Avenue greatly
impaired for business purposes, Mr. Moore's invest-
ment proved a poor one, and the society had to
abandon the hall and returned to Dr. Post's church,
which it has occupied for ten or twelve years.
The society is claimed to have accomplished an im-
mense amount of good. It is asserted that fully one-
half of the members of the adult temperance societies are
graduates from the Band of Hope. More than sixty
of the female teachers in the St. Louis public schools
were members of the band, and the boys who have
graduated from the same organization are now num-
bered among the best of St. Louis' young business
men, and are prominent in temperance and church
work in the city, and in this and neighboring States.
The list of those who, as superintendents, have as-
sisted Mr. Moore embraces the names of John Libby,
a well-known citizen, now dead ; Mrs. S. S. Gannett,
a lady noted for her philanthropy ; the Rev. Mr. Cof-
land ; Dr. T. H. Hammond ; H. Eberly, a promi-
nent real estate broker, and J. W. Barnes, a well-
known builder, the last of whom has been superin-
tendent for several years.
In addition to Mount Vernon Band, which is the
pioneer, there are five bands in various parts of the
city. The full list is as follows :
Name and Number. Where Located. Membership.
Mount Vernon, No. 1 Central St. Louis 300
Fainnount, No. 2 Salisbury St., North St. Louis... 600
Anchor, No. :', St. Louis Avenue and 18th St.... 400
Central, No. -1 Twenty -fourth anil Morgan 300
Washington, No. ."> North St. Louis 450
Western Star, No. Elleardsville, West St. Louis 250
Anchor Band of Hope is composed largely of youth
of German parentage. Its superintendent is Charles
Goessling, a young German.
Father Mathew Young Men's Total Absti-
nence and Benevolent Society. The object of
this association is to inculcate and encourage temper-
ance, and provide a fund for the families of deceased
members, etc. Members are pledged to total absti-
nence. It is named after Father Mathew, the distin-
guished Irish temperance apostle, who visited St.
Louis in the spring of 1850, and its members are
of Irish lineage. This society was instituted in St.
Louis in 1870, and among the charter members were
Thomas Fox, Edward Devoy, James Hagerty, John
D. Hagerty, James McGraw, James J. McGeary,
Francis Lacey, Charles F. Irving, and Martin Duddy.
It is confined to St. Louis, and there is but one coun-
cil of the order in the city. A benefit of two dollars
from each member is paid on the death of a member.
In 1873 the council was most prosperous, having
thirteen hundred members ; the membership now is
about three hundred and fifty. The present officers
President, Jeremiah Sheehan ; First Vice-President, Matthew
Bond; Second Vice- President, James Hennessy ; Recording
Secretary, S. M. Ryan ; Financial Secretary, James Hagerty ;
Treasurer, Patrick Cassidy.
United Hebrew Relief Association. This as-
sociation of the Hebrews of St. Louis originated in
1871, when the great fire in Chicago scattered thou-
sands of the Jews of that city. Hundreds of them
sought shelter in St. Louis. They found the He-
brews of the city totally unprepared to meet the un-
expected draft upon their energies. Nevertheless a
number of young unmarried Hebrews hastily organ-
ized a temporary relief committee, with Augustus
Binswanger as chairman, and among the other mem-
bers the names of Lewis Hutzler, Nathaniel Myers,
and Simon Popper have been recorded. A call for
a meeting to organize permanently to relieve the
distressed Hebrews from Chicago was seconded by
Abraham Kramer, president of Congregation Shaare
Emeth ; Adolph Isaac, president of United Hebrew
Congregation ; and L. R. Straub, president of Con-
gregation B'nai El. Pursuant thereto a meeting was
held Oct. 17, 1871, at the synagogue, then at the
corner of St. Charles and Sixth Streets, and the
United Hebrew Relief Association was organized.
The officers were as follows :
President, B. Singer; Vice-President, A.Jacobs; Treasurer,
William Goldstein; Secretary, Augustus Binswanger; Corre-
sponding Secretary, Nathaniel Myers ; Directors, William
Keller, Isaac Baer, Moses Fraley, Lewis Hutzler, Simon Popper,
The association pushed forward with great energy
the work of relieving the needs of the Chicago suf-
ferers, and took its place as one of the established and
permanent Jewish institutions of the city, its province
being to care for indigent Hebrews, whether transient
or resident. It has also established and maintained
an employment bureau, which has proved of great
benefit. For the ten years from 1871 (when it was
organized) until 1881 the association disbursed thirty-
eight thousand one hundred and ninety dollars and
thirty-five cents for relief, besides laying aside seven
thousand two hundred dollars for a Home for Aged
and Infirm Israelites.
During the winter of 1881-82 the association un-
dertook the work of caring for such Hebrew refugees,
HISTORY OF SAINT LOUIS.
the victims of Russian persecution, as might be sent
thither, and afforded relief and found situations for
a large number of immigrants.
The present officers of the association are
President, B. Hysinger; Vice-President, L. M. Ilellman;
Secretary, Augustus Binswanger; Treasurer, M. Levy; Direc-
tors, B. Eisemann, A. Fisher, George Lewis, B. Cohen, A. Rosen-
thai, Rev. Dr. Rosenthal, Rev. Dr. M. Spitz, Rev. H. J. Mes-
sing, 11. Weil; Superintendent, L. Wolfner; Medical Staff, Dr.
Bernard Block, Dr. M. J. Epstein, Dr. J. Friedman, Dr. H. Tu-
holske, Dr. Moritz Block, Dr. W. E. Fischel, Dr. F. Kolbeu-
heyer, Dr. S. Pollitzer.
Knights of Father Mathew. This order was
instituted on Ascension Thursday, May 9, 1872,
under the title of " Knights of Father Mathew, St.
Louis, Mo.," with Thomas Fox as president; Thomas
E. Phelan, vice-president ; John Rohlf, corresponding
secretary; John McGrath, financial secretary; and
John B. Haggerty, treasurer. Total abstinence was
the corner-stone of the organization. All members
were required to appear in uniform on public occa-
sions, and to be thoroughly drilled. The organization
continued in its original form for some nine years,
with an average membership of about one hundred.
On the 18th of July, 1881, the order was incorpo-
rated under the title of " Knights of Father Mathew
of Missouri," with the following charter members :
Rev. P. F. O'Reilly, Thomas Fox, Patrick Long,
Daniel O'C. Tracy, John B. Haggerty, James Hagerty,
Michael Larisey, Patrick Mulcahy, Michael J. Ratch-
ford, James Walsh, John H. Gamble, James Meegan,
James Hardy, Festus J. Wade. An insurance fea-
ture of two thousand dollars was added to the provi-
sions requiring members to be Catholics and to prac-
tice total abstinence. The " new departure" proved j
immensely popular. Within a year the membership i
was increased to nearly one thousand, and but one
death had occurred.
There are twelve councils in St. Louis, as follows :
St. Louis, No. 1 ; St. John's, No. 2 ; Annunciation, No. 3 ;
St. Patrick's, No. 4: St. Lawrence O'Toole's, No. 5; St. Mala-
chy's, No. 6 ; St. Teresa's, No. 7 ; St. Bridget's, No. 8 ; St.
Mary and St. Joseph's, No. 9; Emerald, No. 10; Immaculate
Conception, No. 11; Cathedral, No. 12.
Connected with the order is a literary and debating
society, which holds frequent debates and other
exercises. D. O'C. Tracy is its president. There
is a ritual appropriate and special to the order.
While the society is in no sense a secret one, as
commonly understood, it claims and exercises the
right of legitimate privacy in all its affairs. Father
John O'Neil, S.J., of the St. Louis University, was
the first spiritual director. His successors were Father
E. A. Noonan and Rev. Father P. F. O'Reilly. The
following are the officers and members of the Supreme
Supreme Chief Sir Knight, Rev. P. F. O'Reilly; Deputy Su-
preme Chief Sir Knight, Patrick Mulcahy; Supreme Recorder,
Charles C. Concannon; Supreme Banker, John B. Haggerty;
Supreme Financial Recorder, Thomas Morris; Supreme Medi-
cal Examiner, Dr. E. L. Feehan; Supreme Sentinel, Thomas
Fox. Members of Executive Board, Daniel O'Connell Tracy,
John Clark, James Hennessy, Richard T. Sheehy. Members of
Supreme Council, Festus J. Wade, Thomas P. Culkin, James
Hardy, James Meegan, M. J. Ratchford, Michael Larisey,
Dennis Dunn, Thomas Carroll, John H. Gamble, James Hag-
gerty, James Walsh, J. B. Hagerty, John W. O'Connell,
John Marriner, Patrick Long, John Hunt, Thomas F. Doyle,
John Coughlin, James K. Grace, P. J. Harris, Thomas Horan.
The Central St. Louis Unterstuetzungs Verein
is a secret benevolent socrety of German ladies, organ-
ized Jan. 28, 1878, and with one hjmdred and twenty-
five members. The officers are
President, Katrine Zilek ; Vice-President, Marie Vindel ;
Secretary, Mrs. Sophia Krage; Financial Secretary, Mrs. Ka-
trine Roesner; Treasurer, Mrs. Sophia Brown.
The Spiritual Association was incorporated in
November, 1882, by John B. Crocker, president; C.
H. Crocker, vice-president; E. M. Moore, secretary;
and S. T. De Wolf, treasurer ; Miss May Bangs, C.
Burrows, E. E. Weber, August Wobe, and William
F. Burrows. The objects of the association are to
ameliorate all conditions of suffering and distress by
establishing retreats for the infirm, and hygienic in-
stitutions for the prevention as well as cure of all
physical diseases and moral disturbances, " to afford
material aid and protection in the exercise of those
spiritual gifts and mediumistic qualities with which its
members may be endowed, and to guarantee the rights
of private judgment, liberty of conscience, and uni-
versal toleration in matters of opinion." The Spiritu-
alists established themselves in St. Louis in 1860.
Their meetings are held at the Mercantile Library Hall.
Charles Tuckett is the president.
The Liberal League was incorporated in 1871.
The meetings are held in a hall on the corner of
Eleventh and Olive Streets. The membership num-
bers about three hundred. Charles Kershaw is presi-
dent ; Mrs. Jackson, secretary; and John Penibling,
The Turnverein. As stated elsewhere, the failure
of the German revolution of 1848 and the vehement
persecution of the men engaged in it drove to this
country thousands of the most advanced thinkers and
most energetic spirits of Germany. Most of them
had been schooled in the celebrated gymnasium (or
turnschukn) of " Father Jahn," and they at once
proceeded to establish that system of training in their
RELIGIOUS, BENEVOLENT, SOCIAL, SECRET, AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS. 1771
Ou the 12th of May, 1850, Carl Speck, F. Roeser,
L. Barthels, Carl B. Dieckride, Johann Bolland,
Theodor Hildebrandt, Wilhelm Meyer, Willibald
Moll, and Wilhelm Grahl met and organized a gym-
nastic society (or turnvereiii), and called it Bestrebung
(or Endeavor), but soon afterwards they gave it the
name of St. Louis Turnverein. For two or three
years the young society had modest quarters at or
near Collins and Cherry Streets, but being cramped
for room the leasehold of a lot on Tenth Street near
Market was secured, a stock company was organized,
and on the 12th of November, 1855, the corner-stone
of the present Central Turnhalle was laid. In Novem-
ber, 1858, the building, a spacious one for those days
and considering the size of the society, was dedi-
In 1852 the Verein was divided, and the Missouri
and Germania Associations were successively organ-
ized ; but they were short-lived, and many, of the
seceders returned to the mother organization, which
went into the new building with one hundred and
When the war broke out five hundred names were
enrolled, but on the fijst call for troops many of the
members enlisted, and as the conflict progressed
hardly enough Turners were left to keep the society
in existence. The first Turner platform obligated
every member to oppose slavery in every form with
all his power, and it was therefore natural that the
Turner should heartily espouse the cause of the
Union. Long before hostilities were declared, their
hall was a gathering-place where the members prepared
for the contest which many felt was imminent, and
their stanch advocacy of Union principles in those
early days, as well as their readiness to go forth and
fight for them, first directed general attention to the
Turners and their system, and caused them to be re-
garded with much greater interest than had hitherto
been the case. Whole companies of volunteers, and
almost whole regiments, were composed of Turners,
and among the most gallant of them was the famous
Seventeenth Missouri, or the " Western Turners'
When the war was over the Turnbund was organ-
ized. The St. Louis Verein again prospered, its only
losses being the depletions it has sustained from the
formation of six additional organizations.
This union has four hundred and sixteen members
and a school of two hundred and fifty pupils. Its
hall is valued at twenty-five thousand seven hundred
dollars, and is' clear of debt ; and it has a library of
two thousand one hundred and thirty-two volumes,
and a song section of twenty-two voices.
The verein pays sick benefits of five dollars per
week and funeral benefits of one hundred dollars.
The present officers are : President, C. A. Stifel,
who has been a member since the second year ; Vice-
President, Henry Braun ; Recording Secretary, Louis
Kaufman ; Corresponding Secretary, Herman Um-
rath ; First Cashier, George Klein ; Second Cashier,
William Muegge ; Librarian, Hugo Gollmer.
South St. Louis Turnverein. In 1865 the
verein established a turn-school in South St. Louis.
During that year, through the exertions of Messrs. A.
Krieckhaus, C. A. Stifel, and Charles Speck, money was
raised to build a turnhalle, and in the fall the edifice
was ready. It was located at the corner of Ninth and
Julia Streets. For four years it served as the train-
ing-place for the youth of the St. Louis Turnverein.
On Sunday, Sept. 12, 1869, some members of the
parent verein assembled at the hall and formed a
new turnverein, the second organized in this city.
The number of members was fifty-one, and the first
officers were : President, F. P. Becker ; Vice-Presi-
dent, Jacob von Gerichten ; Treasurer, F. Dietz ;
Recording Secretary, F. C. P. Tiedeman ; Corre-
sponding Secretary, John Mohrstadt. Of the original
fifty-one only the following remain with the union :
T. Faust, Henry Rauth, George Loebs, Theodore
Rassieur, Jacob von Gerichten, C. H. Vortriede, F.
P. Becker, and F. C. P. Tiedemanu.
The society rapidly grew, and proved a great con-
venience to Turners, whom distance prevented from
frequently visiting the Central Turnhalle. Eventually
the need of a larger hall was felt, and finally a lot was
bought at Tenth and Carroll Streets, and on May 15,
1881, the corner-stone of a new building was laid,
and on May 6, 1882, the new hall was dedicated with
appropriate exercises, most of the German societies
in the city participating. The building is a stately
one, and is one hundred and seventeen by eighty-four
feet, two stories in front and four in the rear, has a
large hall thirty feet high, with dressing-rooms, a bil-
liard-room, etc., and cost twenty-one thousand dollars.
It was built by stock subscription, and there is a debt
of eight thousand dollars on the property.
The verein has two hundred and seventy-seven
members and a school of three hundred and fifty-seven
pupils. It maintains a fund for sick and distressed
The present officers are Francis P. Becker, presi-
dent; Francis P. Troll, vice-president; F. C. P. Tiede-
niann, secretary; William Merkens, treasurer.
Socialer Turnverein. On the 8th of October,
1872, a dozen Turners organized the Socialer Turn-
verein, the first president being Charles Wedig. For
HISTORY OF SAINT LOUIS.
some years the society met at Sixteenth and Montgom-
ery Streets, but had a struggling life until it gained
prominence by the occupancy of Sturgeon Market Hall.
On the 8th of September, 1878, it laid the corner-
stone of a new hall at Thirteenth and Monroe Streets,
and on Jan. 8, 1879, the building was dedicated.
This is regarded as in some respects the finest build-
ing of the kind in the city. Its dimensions are eighty
by one hundred and twelve feet, and its gymnasium
and dance hall are noteworthy for being free from
pillars and resting entirely on the walls, supported by
trusses. The hall was built by a stock association.
It cost about eighteen thousand dollars, and is free of
debt. The society has also personal property amounting
to nearly three thousand dollars. The membership
numbers 217 ; scholars, 239 ; library, 240 volumes.
It also has an excellent song section of some thirty
voices. The society levies one dollar per member in case
of death for the benefit of the heirs of the deceased.
The present officers are : President, Henry Over-
schelp ; Vice-President, Mr. Lammersick ; Record-
ing Secretary, Mr. Knoch ; Corresponding Secretary,
Odo Stifel; Cashier, F. W. Wiesehahn ; Second
Cashier, Charles Link.
Concordia Turnverein. In December, 1875, some
thirty-two persons, mostly members of the Central
Turnverein, but who lived too far from the Central
Hall to conveniently attend the society, signed a call
for a meeting to organize a turnverein in extreme
Southern St. Louis, and on Jan. 8, 1875, the society
was organized, with E. F. Schreiner, president ; Nich-
olas Berg, vice-president ; J. R. Ballinger, recording
secretary; C. F. Groffman, corresponding secretary;
and C. C. Goelde, treasurer. On June 1, 1875, articles
of incorporation were granted C. Schreiner, R. Glaess-
ner, J. H. Kassing, C. H. L. Hoffman, and Richard
Fischer. On the 13th of October. 1876, the society
was incorporated by William Hahn, G. W. Hall, C.
F. Vogel, W. J. Lemp, Hermann Stamm, and C. C.
Goedde, and on Jan. 24, 1877, the corner-stone of a
new hall was laid at Arsenal and Carondelet Streets.
On the 18th of November, 1877, the building was
dedicated. It cost nineteen thousand five hundred dol-
lars, on which a debt of two thousand dollars remains.
The society has also personal property valued at two
thousand three hundred and fifty dollars. The mem-
bership numbers 410; pupils, 445 ; library, 300 vol-
umes; song section, 15; singing-school, 125.
The present officers are
President, Oscar Hoefer; Vice-President, Julius Hertz; Re-
cording Secretary, R. Bennecke ; Corresponding Secretary,
Bernhardt Keuss ; Cashier, Jacob Walter; Treasurer, Nicholas
Berg; Book-keeper, C. F. Laitner; Turnwart, Fred. Hahn:
Second Turn wart, Alexander Lifka; Librarian, H. Ruppelt.
The Carondelet Turnverein was organized April
4, 1875, and the corner-stone of the present hall at
Fourth and Taylor Streets, Carondelet, was laid Sept.
4, 1875. The building was dedicated March 11,
1876. The hall cost about eighteen thousand dollars,
on which is a debt of twelve thousand three hundred
dollars. The verein has about twelve hundred and
fifty dollars in personal property. The membership
is eighty-five, pupils thirty-four, library about fifty
books. Connected with the society is a very efficient
ladies' and dramatic club.
The present officers are
President, Herr Hinsmann ; Vice-President, Christian Koeln ;
Recording Secretary, Charles Bruno ; Corresponding Secretary,
Rudolph Giebermnnn; Cashier, F. W. Dauth; Second Cashier,
E. G. Hofmann ; Turnwart, John Wette ; Second Turnwart,
Thomas Ahrens ; Zeugwart, Martin Stein ; Chairman of the
Literary Committee, Dr. H. M. Stackloff.
Vorwaerts Turnverein. This society was organ-
ized Dec. 21, 1878, and once had forty members. It
never accomplished much, and after a flickering career
was disbanded in 1881.
West St. Louis Turnverein. For some years there
flourished a " Schiller Club," at Franklin and Leffing-
well Avenues, and during the summer of 1 879 one
hundred and twenty -eight of the members agreed to
merge the society into a turnverein. An organization
was effected Sept. 22, 1879, and Dec. 19, 1880, the
corner-stone of the present hall was laid at Beaumont
and Morgan Streets. The property was occupied by
the Second Baptist Church as a mission, and the
verein proceeded to put up an additional building,
making the hall seventy-five by thirty-six feet. The
building was dedicated May 8, 1881. It was erected
by a stock association, of which J. J. Suller was presi-
dent ; A. W. Straub, vice-president ; John Denberger,
secretary ; J. F. Conrad, treasurer ; and J. H. Tror-
licht, John Nies, J. L. Bernecker, F. W. Henze, John
Schoenke, Julius Hirschfeld, and Louis J. Holthaus
directors. The building and its equipments cost about
five thousand dollars, on which a debt of less than
one thousand dollars remains. The membership
numbers five hundred, the largest in the city ; pupils,
four hundred and thirty-six ; library, three hundred
volumes ; song section, twenty-five voices.
The present officers are
President, Emil A. Becker; Vice-President, Adolph Braun ;
Recording Secretary, Christ. F. Hertwig ; Corresponding Secre-
tary, George Scherer; Cashier, L. II. Hasselbarth ; Treasurer,
J. F. Conrad; Turnwart, Otto Keil ; Second Turnwart, George
Powell ; Zeugwart, Theodore Klipstein.
The membership of the St. Louis Turners' Asso-
ciation is classified as follows :
RELIGIOUS, BENEVOLENT, SOCIAL, SECRET, AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS. 1773
St. Louis Turoverein 416
South St. Louis Turnverein 277
Socialer Turnverein 217
Concordia Turnverein 410
West St. Louis Turnverein 506
North St. Louis Turnverein 185
Carondelet Turnverein 85
Total 2096 798 1937
The St. Louis associations, with those at High-
land, Trenton, Belleville, Nashville, Alton, and
Quincy (all in Illinois), constitute the " St. Louis
Turn Circuit," which is the largest district, numeri-
cally, in the country, although several others own