T., J. S. Markley, Louisiana; G. W. Chaplain, B. F. Rankin,
There were present from St. Louis on this occasion
G. W. Lynch, W. A. Lynch, J. B. Higdon, Richard
Ivers, and T.
The growth of the order was greatest just after
the war, when there were seven temples in St.
Louis. Of late years the interest has declined, and
now there are but six temples in the State, one each
at Hannibal, Springfield, and St. Joseph, and three
in St. Louis, viz. :
Name and Number. Members.
Union, No. 2 17
Franklin, No. 3 51
Mount Olive, No. 4 15
The Grand Temple (July, 1882) elected the fol
lowing officers :
G. W. T., George W. Salter, St. Louis; G. W. V. T., William
Hartrey, St. Louis; G. W. R., J. J. Garver, St. Louis; G. W.
T., Robert Herries, St. Louis; G. W. Chap., Garden Hepburn,
St. Louis; G. W. U., Fred. M. Easterday, St. Louis; G. W. G.,
Alfred Appleton, St. Louis; P. G. W. T., Timothy Parsons.
Lasalle Frauen Unterstuetzungs Verein is an
association of German ladies which pays death bene-
fits of fifty dollars on the death of a member or a
member's husband, and sick benefits of four dollars a
week. The officers are : President, Miss Anstedt ;
Vice-President, Julia Reier ; Secretary, Consadine
RELIGIOUS, BENEVOLENT, SOCIAL, SECRET, AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS. 1813
ST. LOUIS AGRICULTURAL AND MECHANICAL AS-
SOCIATION AND JOCKEY CLUB.
Fairs or exhibitions of agricultural and mechanical
objects were held in St. Louis at irregular intervals
for many years prior to 1855, when an organization
was formed for the purpose of holding annual exhibi-
tions. Agricultural societies had existed from time
to time, beginning as early as 1822, but none of them
were permanent. At first agricultural and " me-
chanics' " fairs were distinct and separate, but on
the formation of the Agricultural and Mechanical
Association the two interests were merged, and sub-
sequently the exhibitions were held together. On
the first Tuesday of November, 1841, the fair of the
Agricultural Society of St. Louis County was opened
at the St. Louis race-course, and on the 24th of the
same month the Mechanics' Fair was inaugurated " in
the buildings recently occupied by Mr. Lucas, on
Fourth Street, in front of the Planters' House," con-
tinuing three days. The committee of arrangements
was composed of William Bird, S. V. Farnsworth,
C. Pullis, D. Weston, J. W. McMurray, T. B. Edgar,
N. Phillips, Joseph Charless, D. L. Holbrook, D. B.
Smith, George Wool, 0. M. Vinton, D. Woodman.
For some time prior to 1855 the subject of com-
bining the agricultural and mechanical interests of St.
Louis for the purpose of holding annual fairs was
agitated, and among those who were especially active
in support of the proposition were Hon. J. R. Barret,
Henry T. Blow, Col. Thornton Grimsley, Henry C.
Hart, T. T. January, Charles Todd, Charles L. Hunt,
Andrew Harper, John Withnell, Benjamin O'Fallon,
Henry S. Turner, Thomas B. Hudson, John Sapping-
ton, John M. Chambers, Frederick Dings, and Nor-
man J. Coleman. It was finally decided to organize
a society, and Hon. J. R. Barret procured the passage
by the Missouri Legislature, of which he was a mem-
ber, of an act incorporating the St. Louis Agricultural
and Mechanical Association, which was approved
Dec. 7, 1855. The incorporators were Andrew Har-
per, John O'Fallon, Martin Hanna, Walter H. Dor-
sett, Robert Martin, Oily Williams, John Sigerson,
Andrew Christy, John M. Chambers, John Hartnett,
Thornton Grimsley, H. I. Bodley, Henry C. Hart,
Thomas T. January, John Renfrew, John Withnell,
Gerard B. Allen, John Sappington, and William C.
The objects of the association were declared to be
the promotion of improvements in all the various de-
partments of agriculture, including not only the great
staples of industry and trade, but also fruits, vegeta-
bles, and ornamental gardening, the promotion of the
mechanic arts in all their various branches, the
improvement of breeds of all useful and domestic
animals, the general advancement of rural economy
and household manufactures, and the dissemination of
useful knowledge upon these subjects.
At a meeting of persons interested in the enter-
prise, which was held on the 4th of February, 1856,
it was decided that books should be prepared at once,
and the public invited to take the stock of the cor-
poration. All the stock was soon subscribed for, and
on the 4th of May the following persons were elected .
the first board of directors : Andrew Harper, Thomas
T. January, Henry C. Hart, John Withnell, Thorn-
ton Grimsley, Frederick Dings, James M. Hughes,
Henry S. Turner, Charles L. Hunt, John M. Cham-
bers, Henry T. Blow, Norman J. Coleman, and J. R.
On the following day the board elected the follow-
ing officers : President, J. R. Barret ; Vice-Presidents,
Thornton Grimsley, Andrew Harper, and Henry Clay
Hart ; Treasurer, Henr} r S. Turner ; General Agent
and Recording Secretary, G. 0. Kalb ; Corresponding
Secretary, 0. W. Collet. P. McAndrew was ap-
pointed superintendent. It was determined to hold
a fair some time during the following autumn, but
considerable delay was experienced in choosing a loca-
tion for the grounds. Finally, however, fifty acres of
land at the northwest corner of Grand Avenue and
Natural Bridge plank-road, about three miles from the
court-house, was purchased from Col. John O'Fallon
for fifty thousand dollars, the company being given
twelve years in which to pay the principal, the first
two years' interest to be taken in stock. The grounds
possessed natural advantages for the purpose, and being
contiguous to the water-works, were conveniently lo-
cated for obtaining an abundant supply of water. A
fence nine feet high inclosing them was speedily
erected, and although the plans for the buildings were
not matured until July, the work was pushed forward
so vigorously that the managers were enabled to open
the fair on the 13th of October. In the short space
of three months the grounds were graded, walks and
avenues laid out, and a number of buildings erected.
The latter included an amphitheatre, a building for
the mechanical department, a floral hall, and a ma-
chine-shop, together with three hundred and fifty
horse and cattle stalls and a number of pens for sheep
and swine. Water from the reservoir was also intro-
duced, and the grounds were ornamented with a num-
ber of fountains. For the purchase of the ground
and erection of the buildings the sum of thirty thou-
sand dollars, afterwards increased to forty thousand
dollars, was appropriated by the directors. The build-
ing committee was composed of J. R. Barret, Henry
HISTORY OF SAINT- LOUIS.
C. Hart, Henry T. Blow, and Andrew Harper, assisted
by A. L. Lyle.
The fair opened Oct. 13, 1856, and the attendance
was very large, notwithstanding the fact that the
weather was inclement. At eleven o'clock the Na-
tional Guards arrived on the grounds, and were fol-
lowed by the Washington Guards and the Grays.
Hon. Sterling Price, Governor of Missouri, who was
present on horseback, reviewed these organizations,
after which there were track exhibitions of horses. T.
T. January was superintendent of the fair on the open-
ing day, and the committees on awards consisted of
gentlemen from different States. The premium list
amounted to ten thousand dollars, and the receipts from
the gate, entrance fees, and other sources, to twenty-
five thousand dollars. The success of the fair was
very marked, and as it was in great measure due to
the labors of Hon. J. R. Barret, president of the as-
sociation, those most interested decided to present
him with a testimonial of his services. Accordingly
in December following a handsome silver service was
purchased and presented to Mr. Barret.
In 1857 the second fair of the association was held,
and was even more successful than the first one. The
premiums were increased to sixteen thousand dollars,
and the receipts amounted to over twenty-eight thou-
sand dollars. A handsome Gothic structure, known
as the Fine Art Hall, for the exhibition of statuary
and paintings, and a gallinarium of wire network,
three stories high, and divided into ninety compart-
ments, were erected for this exhibition. At the third
annual fair, which began on the 7th of September,
the attendance was greater than at either of its prede-
cessors, and St. Louis was visited by a concourse of
strangers greater than it ever witnessed before. From
the report of the secretary of the association from its
organization to Dec. 1, 1858, it appears that the cap-
ital stock was sixty-nine thousand one hundred and
fifty dollars, and the sum of sixty-eight thousand six
hundred and fifty-five dollars and ninety-six cents had
been expended for improvements on the grounds.
The contract with Col. O'Fallon gave the association
twelve years in which to pay for the land, but as there
was a surplus the directors made a payment Nov. 30,
1858, of ten thousand dollars. The dimensions of the
buildings then on the ground were: Amphitheatre,
diameter, three hundred and five feet; circumference,
nine hundred and fifteen feet ; arena within the am-
phitheatre, diameter, two hundred and twenty-five
feet ; circumference, six hundred and seventy-five feet.
Floral Hall, diameter, seventy-six feet ; circumference,
two hundred and twenty-eight feet. Art Hall, an
oval building, eighty-five feet iu length. Agricul-
tural Department, two hundred by thirty feet. Me-
chanical Department, seventy-nine by thirty-one and
a half feet. Machinery Department, two hundred
by forty feet. Pagoda, forty-five feet in height, and
divided into three stories, the pole around which it
was built being one hundred and fifty feet high.
In addition to these structures there were a num-
ber of other buildings, including a large carriage de-
partment, a gallinarium, and a handsome Gothic
cottage, with reception-rooms for ladies. The amphi-
theatre seated twelve thousand persons, and the two
promenades, one at the base and the other at the top
of the seats, afforded accommodations for twenty-four
The exercises at the opening of the fair of 1858
were accompanied as usual by a parade of the military
organizations of St. Louis, commanded by Brig. -Gen.
1 D. M. Frost, and including the Light Artillery Bat-
talion, Col. Henry Almstedt ; the Mounted Rifle Bat-
talion, Maj. Schaeffer; the First Regiment of In-
i fantry, commanded by Col. J. M. Pritchard, and
composed of six companies, viz. : St. Louis Grays,
Capt. John Knapp ; Missouri Guard, Capt. George
W. West; the Washington Guards, Capt. Patrick
Gorman ; the National Guard, Capt. John B. Gray ;
the Emmet Guards, Capt. Thomas F. Smith ; and
the Washington Blues, Capt. Joseph Kelley ; and
the Rifle Battalion, under the command of Maj.
John C. Smith, composed of two companies, the
Union Rifles, Capt. Kohr, and the Missouri Rifles,
The premium list was enlarged from year to year
until, in 1860, it aggregated the sum of twenty-five
thousand dollars, but the receipts continued to increase,
and in that year amounted to forty-five thousand
dollars. During the civil war the exhibitions were
suspended, but in 1866, through the efforts of the
president, A. B. Barret, and others, they were re-
In October of that year a fair was held, and pre-
miums amounting to thirty thousand dollars were
awarded. Since then the association has continued
to grow and prosper until it has now become one of
the greatest, if not the greatest, organizations of its
kind in the country. One of the characteristic
features of the association is that its stock does not,
nor was it ever intended to, pay any dividends.
The stock amounts to eighty-two thousand and fifty
dollars, and is so well distributed (the individual
holders numbering one thousand and fifty-seven) that
on the average no single holder has more than two
I shares. The only privilege that stockholders have is
' that of free admission to the grounds at all times.
RELIGIOUS, BENEVOLENT, SOCIAL, SECRET, AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS. 1815
In this way the association is enabled out of its sur-
plus to improve and embellish its grounds and erect
the necessary buildings. The amphitheatre, which
was first built, was reconstructed in 1870, and devoted
to the display of manufactured goods and textile
fabrics until 1876, when it was taken down, and a
new mechanical hall, one hundred and fifty feet wide
and two hundred and fifty feet long, having two spans of
forty-five feet each, and a central span of sixty feet,
was erected. These improvements were completed in
1877, when an exposition was combined with the
usual annual fair, and proved a success beyond the
expectations of the most sanguine. The building
is lighted by large skylights running through the
centre. The interior diameter of the new amphi-
theatre, in which stock displays are made, is four
hundred and fifty feet. The track is half a mile
in length. The .original fifty acres have been
increased to eighty-three and fifty-six-hundredths
acres, costing over one hundred thousand dollars,
and in 1876 a brick building, covering an area of
twenty thousand square feet, was built for the floral
department, and a zoological garden was erected at a
cost of one hundred thousand dollars, in connection
with which a school of drawing was established.
The grounds of the association, when first purchased,
were embellished with fine trees of natural growth,
and to their attractions have been added handsome ;
buildings, and all the beauties that can be created by
the highest art of the landscape gardener and horti-
culturist. The imposing structures and handsome
surroundings make up a picture of unusual attrac-
tiveness and beauty. The grounds are eligibly
located on Grand Avenue, within the city limits, and
are easy of access from all quarters.
The association has proved one of the most im- '
portant of the factors in the industrial growth of St.
Louis, and, indeed, in the development of the agri-
cultural and mechanical resources of the entire State.
During the twenty-six years of its existence it has
expanded beyond the most sanguine expectations of
its founders, and at the present time enjoys a national
The money expended on improvements since 1856
amounts to over one million dollars, and the buildings
thus erected are the most commodious and the most
conveniently arranged structures of their kind to be
found in any fair inclosure in the United States, every I
class of exhibition being located in a separate hall
or iuclosure especially adapted to the purpose for
which it is intended. The Zoological Garden is con-
stantly increasing in size and attractiveness, every year
witnessing the erection of new buildings for the re-
ception of additions to the collection. The grounds
are kept in admirable condition during the entire year,
and the spacious drives make them one of the popular
resorts of the city, even when not occupied by the
annual fair, which occurs in October, lasting six days.
The premium list of the Fair Association has always
been generous, and is constantly increasing, and the
lively competition thus created has raised the standard
of stock and productions of all kinds, not only in the
State of Missouri, but throughout the entire Missis-
The attendance at the Fair Grounds during fair week
averages forty thousand daily, and fifty thousand dol-
lars is distributed in premiums.
The chief officers of the society from 1856 to 1875
1856-59. J. Richard Barret, president, and Henry S. Tur-
ner, treasurer. G. 0. Kalb, the present secretary, has been
acting in that capacity since 1856.
1860. A. Harper, president.
1861-65. Charles Todd, president; Benjamin O'Fallon, treas-
urer for 1861, and D. G. Taylor from 1862 to 1866.
1866-73. A. B. Barret, president; with Benjamin Sanford,
treasurer for 1867-68, and B. M. Chambers from 1869 to 1873.
1874. Julius S. Walsh, president; E. M. Lackland, treas-
The present officers are
Charles Green, president ; R. P. Tansey, first vice-president ;
E. A. Filley, second vice-president ; Hercules L. Dousman,
third vice-president; John J. Menges, treasurer; and G. 0.
Kalb, secretary and superintendent. The present directors are
A. B. Pendleton, Julius S. Walsh, Charles Green, James C. Ed-
wards, R. P. Tansey, Johnston Beggs, M. Fraley, George Bain,
David Clarkson, John G. Prather, L. M. Rumsey, John J. Men-
ges, Ed. Harrison, D. P. Rowland, Hercules L. Dousman, John
Scullin, S. M. Dodd, E. A. Filley, A. B. Ewing, William W.
Withnell, and James S. Farrar.
From the secretary's report for the fiscal year be-
ginning Dec. 1, 1880, and ending Dec. 1, 1881, it
appears that the value of the improvements was
$204,897.95, and that of the real estate 3135,880.16.
Stock had been issued to the amount of $82,050, and
bonds to the amount of $160,000. The total assets
of the company amounted to $459,768.32.
In 1874, Charles Green became a leading stock-
holder in the St. Louis Agricultural and Mechanical
Association, and served as director until January,
1880, when he was elected president. He has been
re-elected to this position every year since. Under
his management the St. Louis Fair has increased
in attractiveness, and has taken so strong a hold
upon public favor that it is hardly an exaggeration
to say that it has become the great yearly festival of
Charles Green was born near Ballinasloe, County
Galway, Ireland, in 1838. His family possessed a
HISTORY OF SAINT LOUIS.
large landed estate, including the historically celebrated
Green Hills, one of the most beautiful places in
the Emerald Isle, and cherished with pardonable
family pride the traditions of their ancestral home and
of its profuse hospitality. Young Green was sent to
school at a neighboring town, and at the age of fifteen
entered the college at Galway, making his home with
a gentleman named Rochford, a distinguished lawyer
of that region. He remained at Galway about two
years, and in the intervals of study read law.
When he was seventeen his father died, involving
a change in his fortunes. He relinquished the elegant
surroundings to which he had been accustomed, and
in 1857 emigrated to America, and, in response to an
invitation from his brother Thomas, settled in St.
Louis, where his brother was established in mercan-
tile business. He was placed by Thomas in the St.
Louis University, where he finished his education.
It was intended that he should study law, but his
health failed under the severe course at the univer-
sity, and when he left that institution he accepted a
position in the post-office under Peter L. Foy. He
remained in this capacity about a year, and then for
four years filled the position of book-keeper in the
State Savings Association. When the Merchants'
Union Express Company established itself in St. Louis,
he was offered and accepted the position of cashier,
but in about a year relinquished it to engage in busi-
ness on his own account. In 1866 he established the
real estate firm of Green & La Motte, which is still
the title of the house, although his partner, F. X. La
Motte, a college friend, died in 1868.
Mr. Green's fidelity to all trusts reposed in him, and
his prompt and energetic method of transacting busi-
ness commended him to the favor of the public, and
soon brought him a prosperous and continuously in-
creasing patronage. He has. perhaps, been intrusted
with the administration of more large estates than any
other citizen. He was commissioner -for the Benoist
estate, and is now the executor of the estate of John
Withnell. In his will Mr. Withnell expressly stipu-
lated that Mr. Green should not be required to give
bond. These trusts, and many similar ones, he has
so managed as to earn the gratitude of those whom he
His clear and exact knowledge of real estate values
was recognized by the County Court of St. Louis
County in 1873, when he was elected by that body
president of the Board of Assessors. In this delicate
and responsible position, requiring such nice and care-
ful exercise of judgment, and so much firmness, he
reduced the business of the office to one of perfect
system, and such a spirit of fairness characterized his
administration as to win for him the good will and
esteem of the public. The popular estimate of his
services appears from the fact that he was unanimously
re-elected to the same position for four successive
Mr. Green has also served the public in other
important capacities. He was a commissioner for the
condemnation of the Forest Park property and of the
Northern Park, and was also commissioner to value
the property of the Columbia Life Insurance Com-
pany. He was appointed receiver of the Central
Savings- Bank, and the next day filed his bond for
one hundred thousand dollars, on which occasion the
court (Judge Krekel) praised the promptness with
which the document had been prepared, and the ex-
traordinary high character of the names it bore, and
complimented Mr. Green upon the high financial and
social standing which enabled him to furnish a bond
for so large an amount in so short a time, with such
A similar but even more creditable experience was
his when, a year or two since, he was elected assignee
of the Keokuk and Northern Line Packet Company.
He was notified of his appointment on Saturday, and
on the following Monday morning his bond for three
hundred and seventy-six thousand dollars was filed
and approved. Besides the several interests men-
tioned above, Mr. Green has charge of many estates
owned by the wealthiest citizens of St. Louis, and the
confidence reposed in him is almost unbounded. Not
only has he managed the estates of others with suc-
cess and to their perfect satisfaction, but he has in-
vested his own means in real estate so judiciously
that he has gained a fortune.
As a public-spirited and enterprising citizen, Mr.
Green occupies a foremost rank. He was a large
subscriber to the company that built the Chamber of
Commerce, one of the city's chief ornaments, and has
been a director therein since 1875. He has also a
large interest in the various street railway companies,
and is a director in several of these corporations. He
aided prominently in the organization of the Real
Estate Exchange, and has been its president since
April, 1880. In 1879 he formed one of a syndicate
that bought the Carondelet Gas Company, and is the
vice-president of the corporation.
In 1868, Mr. Green was married to Miss Henrietta
Prenatt, the daughter of a prominent merchant of
Madison, Ind., by whom he has had seven children.
Mr. Green's personal characteristics are a firm de-
termination, keen foresight, a rigid integrity, and a
steady judgment. Although born rich, he inherited
no fortune, but beginning life as a poor boy, he easily
RELIGIOUS, BENEVOLENT, SOCIAL, SECRET, AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS. 1817
amassed a competence, and at the same time won the
honor and respect of his fellow-citizens.
The St. Louis Jockey Club. Horse-racing was
very popular in St. Louis at an early period of the
city's history, and to the pony contests of the colonial
period succeeded the trials of speed between thor-
oughbreds, which attracted large assemblages to the
" prairie horse-track" on the north side of the St.
Charles Rock road, immediately opposite the ground
on which the Abbey track was subsequently estab-
lished by Henry Doyer. One of the famous races on
this course was the four-mile heat race in 1848 be-
tween the runners " Doubloon" and " Emily," which
was won by the latter, ridden by the well-known jockey
Gilpatrick. A jockey club was organized in 1828,
and the races of that year commenced on Thursday,
October 9th, and continued three days, first day,
three miles and repeat, for a purse of two hundred
dollars ; second day, two miles and repeat, for a purse
of one hundred and fifty dollars ; third day, one mile
and repeat, for a purse of one hundred dollars, free
for any horse, mare, or gelding. The racing was gov-
erned by the rules and regulations of the association,
of which Benjamin Ames was the secretary.
On the 23d of September, 1848, a new jockey
club was organized at the Prairie House. Among
the prominent patrons of the turf about this time
were George W. Goode, Col. D. D. Mitchell, William
L. Sublette, Henry Shacklett, Col. A. B. Chambers,
of the Republican; Capt. White, of St. Charles,