John. The former was commissioned a Captain of Infan-
try. He was captured by the British near the close of hos-
tilities, and imprisioned at Long Island, from whence he
succeeded in effecting his escape, and returned to his fath-
er's home. The war terminating shortly afterwards he
did not return to his post in the army. Turning from the
scenes of war, we come down to more peaceful times. In
the year 1812, a poor woman died, leaving two children
only a few days old. A neighboring farmer, of means and
respectability attended the funeral. He there saw the
helpless orphan boys. Who was to care for them? Their
father was not in circumstances to permit him to employ a
nurse. As the neighbor observed these things, his heart
was touched with sympathy. But he did not stop with
that. When the funeral was over, he returned to the ten-
ant house where the children were, and having obtained
the grateful consent of their father, took them up, one on
each arm, and carried them one mile to his home, and pre-
sented them to his astonished wife to care for. That man
was Joseph McClure, the father of the deceased. When they
became older, he sent one of them to reside with the deceas-
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
ed. These boys are now old men. One resides in this
township, an honest, sober and industrious citizen. The
other lives in the west, a Methodist Minister. According
to the records of the Brandywine Manor Church Session,
Joseph McClure was an elder there in 1814, but for how
long a time preceding that date we are unable to say, as the
minute of 1814 is the oldest we could find. December the
9th, 1826, the following minute appears upon the Sessional
Eecords of Brandywine Manor Church: 'Session regret to
learn that Joseph McClure, an aged member of Session, be-
112 McCLTTEES IN PENNSYLVANIA.
ing lately stricken with palsy, we cannot expect from him
his usual service.' This family has furnished the church
with several elders. As we have seen, Joseph, (the father
of the deceased) was an elder in 1814. Two of his sons,
Joseph and the deceased, were ordained ruling elders, and
installed over the congregation about the year 1830, they,
together with a number of persons, founded this, the "West
Nautmeal Presbyterian Church. The deceased was install-
ed a ruling elder here in 1840. Joseph M, McClure, M. D.,
(son of the deceased) and Jas. McClure, (grandson of James
and Esther McChire) were ordained as ruling elders, and
installed over this congregation in 1870. In 1872, Joseph
M. McClure, M. D., was elected by the Presbytery of Ches-
ter a Commissioner to the General Assembly, and was pres-
ent in that body at Detroit, Michigan, The deceased was
one of the most efi&cient ruiling elders of the two churches
with which he was connected. In his younger days he
was a very excellent reader, and it frequently happened
that, in absence of the pastor, he was called upon to read
a printed sermon, which service he invariably performed
with great acceptance to the people. He was always in his
accustomed seat in church, until the infirmities of age com-
pelled him to have some consideration for the weather.
One of his former pastors, Eev. D. C, Meeker, says on this
point, in a recent letter: 'He was exemplary, and often
self-denying in his attendance upon the services of the
Another preacher, the Eev. B. B. Hotchkin, D. D.:
'He was devoutly solicitous for the prosperity of the church;
free-hearted in serv-ice as a member of its Session and Fis-
cal Board; cordial towards his associates in ofiice, studious
of things that make for peace; ever ready to bear his part
in its social devotions; lending to the pastor the support
of his influence; and as watchful for it as a father for a child.
You knew him only when these qualities began to feel the
impairing effect of advancing age; I knew him when they
were in their vigor.'
No man ever thought more of his church. He was con-
McCLUEES IN PENNSYLVANIA. 173
secrated to its service in youth, and life's setting sun found
the veteran of four-score years at the post of duty and of
honor. Not only as a ruling elder did he serve the church
of his fathers, but rendered efficient service as a trustee for
near a half a century. When the first church was built
here, he and his brother Joseph subscribed one-fourth of
the whole amount required to complete the structure, and
when we began to agitate the subject of building this new
church edifice, he was the first one to subscribe. He
headed the list with one thousand dollars. Subsequently
he largely increased that sum. The deceased was a man
likely to be misunderstood by strangers. They might con-
sider him harsh, haughty, overbearing. But such was far
from the truth. Whatever his naturally reserved manner
might indicate, he had a sympathizing heart, was of a very
benevolent disposition, and exceedingly kind and friendly.
In the social relations of life, he endeared himself by his con-
stancy and afi'ection. He was given to hospitality. His
house has long been the minister's home, and nowhere were
they more warmly welcomed or generously treated. The
deceased was a great reader, but wasted no time on litera-
ture of a light character. His Bible, Burden's Village Ser-
mons; The Grace of Christ, by Dr. Plumer, and Eeligious
Experience, by Dr. A. Alexander, (together with the Pres-
byterian and Evangelist) completed his reading library. Al-
though he possessed many other valuable works, these
were his favorities. Thus he spent the close of his long
life, reading religious books and good papers. He could
repeat the Shorter Catechism to his dying day, asking and
answering the questions himself. By industry he amassed
a large property. But that he was rich in faith and good
works is more worthy of record. The aroma of the good
name he has left behind him is a more inestimable heritage
than the fortunes of the Eothschilds, or the wealth of the
Astors; a name honorably associated with the Covenanters
of Scotland, the battle for priceless freedom on these west-
ern shores, and the establishment of the early Presbyterian
Church in America."
174 McCLURES IN PENNSYLVANIA.
V. Elizabeth, b. Oct. 20, 1751, d. s.
VI. Rachel, b. March 20, 1754; m. John Neal, of Slate
Ridge, Lancaster County. Five children.
VII. Jane, b. January, 1757, m. Johu Wallace, of Honey-
brook, Chester County. Son and five daughters.
VIII. Benjamin, b. Sept. 9, 1759, d. 1821. Lieut, to
Capt. George Crawford, Col. James Dunlop, Revolutionary
War. He m, Agnes Wallace, of (yhester County. Eight
children, viz: Robert, Jane, Mary, Elizabeth, John, Wil-
liam, Esther and James. Mary m. Rev. Wm. Kennedy,
Daughter Mary Jane m. Crawford Hindman.
It will be observed that the names of this family are
similar to those of a family in Augusta County, viz. John
McClure, of Chester Co. Pa., (1705-1777), eight children:
Esther, James, Mary, Joseph, Elizabeth, Rachel, Jane and
John McClure, of Augusta County, Va. (1717-1797),
eleven children: Anne, Esther, James, Jane, Elizabeth,
Martha, Mary, John, Margaret, Andrew and Eleanor.
McCLURES IN CUMBERLAND COUNTY.
The best authority on this and all the Pennsylvania fam-
lies is Mr. C. P. McClure, of Bunola, Pa. He has compiled
a Family History. It is to be regretted that it has not
appeared in print, as it doubtless contains much informa-
tion of general interest. Associated with him in his un-
dertaking is Mr. Roy Fleming McClure, of Chattanooga,
Tenn., and Mr. J. H. McClure, of Elizabeth, Pa.
John McClure, b. in Scotland 1G96, came to Pennsyl-
vania from the North of Ireland 1715; m., 1730, Janet Mc-
Knight, sister of John McKnight, Esq., the well known
Justice of Cumberland County, Pa. Settled in Cumber-
land County about 1732, where he died 1757. Eight
John. Andrew, who is supposed to have married Jean,
a first cousin, daughter of Abdiel McClure, b. in Glasgow,
1702; son Abdiel, born in Carlisle 1750, ancestor of Rev.
McCLUEBS IN PBI^NSYLVANIA. 175
James T. McClure, pastor of the First U. P. Church, Wheel-
ing, W. Va., for forty- nine years.
Charles, Eichard, Margaret, Jean, Eunice and
Catherine. The above may be the Margaret McClure of
Big Spring Presbyterian Church, Cumberland County, who
signed, 1786, the call for Eev. Samuel Wilson.
The Eichmond, Va., Standard, vol. Ill, p. 7, gives the
Margaret McClure, m., April 4, 1776, John Parker,
of Cumberland County, b. 1740.
Chas. McClure, b. Carlisle, Pa., 1739, m., first, Emelia
who died Feb. 1, 1793, aged 28 years. Two children:
1. John McClure, m. Jane Blair and left four child-
ren, viz: Catherine, Aurelia, Mary, and John,
who d. s.
2. Mary McClure, who m. Joseph Knox.
Hem., second, Mrs. Eebecca Parker, widow of Maj. Alex-
ander Parker. She died at Carlisle April 13, 1826, aged
sixty-three years Four children.
4. Charles, married Margaretta Gibson. Son, Major
Charles McClure of the U. S. army. Sons,
George and William McClure.
5. Judge Wm. B. McClure, Pittsburg, Pa.
6. Eebecca, m. Eev. F. T. Brown.
Miss Emma McClure, of Elk Lick, Somerset County, be-
longs to this line.
John McClure, with Andrew Blair and others, was or-
dained an Elder in the Second Presbyterian Church, Car-
lisle, 1833; had been an Elder in the First Church.
Joseph McClure, from Carlisle, 1767. Signed the call to
Rev. John Steel.
James McClure, who settled, 1780 in Newport, Ky., is
supposed to belong to the Cumberland family. Died in
He m. Jane Miles, who was drowned at Vevay, Ind.,
March 8, 1818. Six children:
1. Sarah, m. David Perry; Died about 1815.
176 McCLUEES IN PENNSYLVANIA.
2. John, m, Hester Lloyd of Pennsylvania; died of
yellow fever at Baton Rouge, La., 1826. Three
children, viz: Eliza, James W. and Julia.
3. James H., b. Nov. 13, 1800, m, Mary Lewis; d. in
Texas. No chilnren.
4. Eliza, twin, b. Nov. 13, 1800; d. May 24, 1868.;
m. Capt. Samuel Perry. Six children.
5. David, drowned at Vevay, Ind, March 8, 1818.
6. Frances S. O., b. June 28, 1803, d. Feb. 4. 1890;
m., Sept. 11, 1821, Capt. Samuel Carter, Their
youngest daughter, Jane, b. Dec. 20, 1833; m.
James B. Still well; lived it Seattle, Wash.
Miss Mary E. Applegate, of Chicago, belongs to this line.
Two nephews of James McClure of Newport, from Pitts-
burg, but of the Cumberland family, emigrated to Illinois
''Col. John B. McClure, of Peoria, with his brothers,
Robert and Samuel, were from Shippensburg, Cumberland
County. He married a lady from Wisconsin. Daughter
Mary living 1868. Robert lived in Gluey, 111. Physician.
Samuel d, in Pennsylvania."
Col. John D. McClure, of Peoria, was born in Franklin
County, Pa., 1835, settled in Peoria, 1849, and died there
March 3, 1911.
Judge David MoCluee, b. in Ireland 1726, lived in
Cumberland County, Pa.; died in Sherman's Valley, Pa.,
1796. Married Jane McCormick. Sou, William McClure,
b. about 1760, m. Jane Byers. Son, William (1797-1856),
m. Margaret Beaver. Daughter, Emily C. McClure, m.
Mc('lure, a village in Snyder County, probably got its
name from the Cumberland family. There are several Mc-
Clures living now in this section — large and prosperous
Col. Alexander Kelly McClure, LL. D., is perhaps the
most distinguished of the name in Pennsylvania. Member
Penn. Legislature, candidate for Mayor of Philadelphia,
McCLUEES IN PENNSYLVANIA. 177
personal friend of President Lincoln. Best known as Ed-
itor of the Philadelphia Times.
He was born in Sherman's Valley, Perry County, Pa.,
January 9, 1828, and spent his early years on his father's
farm. With his older brother he divided his time week
about at a country school. In 1846 he made his first visit
to Philadelphia in order to get work as a journeyman tan-
ner. He found no work there and tramped to New York,
where his luck was no better. He worked his way west
until he found himself in Iowa, but still his ill fortune in
the tanning trade stuck to him. He then journeyed back
east and that fall, in spite of advice to the contrary, went
into the printing business, starting with the Sentinel, the
Mifflin local paper.
At his suggestion an outline history of his family was
prepared by Eev. G. O. Seilhamer, Chambersburg, Pa.
Col. McClure's sudden death prevented its being published,
which is to be regretted, as it doubtless contains much of
interest to the family in general.
McCLUEES IN LANCASTEE COUNTY.
William McClure, a Covenanter of Dumfries, Scot-
land, was with his family driven by persecution from his
home and country and settled in Ireland. His youngest
sou, James, emigrated to America, settled, first, in Lan-
caster County, Pa,; removed in 1772 to Bloomsburg on the
Susquehanna, where he built the well known Fort McClure.
He had five children: Margaret, Josiah, John, Priscilla
and James. Margaret, the oldest daughter, m., Dec. 10,
1783, Maj. Moses Van Campen of New York, and died at
Dansville, New York, March, 1845. Col. James McClure,
the youngest child, was born in 1774, m. in 1796, and died
at the old homestead, October 4, 1850. His children were
Margaret, James, Mary, Samuel, Eleanor, Josiah, Charles,
Priscilla, Benjamin and Alfred. The Eev. Alfred James
178 McCLUEES IN PENNSYLVANIA.
Pollock McClure, a clergyman of the Episcopal Church,
now living in Philadelphia, belongs to this family.
He and his daughter, Miss Abby McClure, have put into
permanent form the record of their branch of the family.
See Penn. Magazine of Biography, vol. XXXI, pp. 504-
McCLUEES m YOEK COUNTY.
Miss Martha McClure, Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, is an au-
thority on this branch of the family.
EiCHARD McCluee, from the north of Ireland, settled
about 1725 in Paxtang township, then Lancaster, now
York county. Four sons born in Ireland.
A Thomas, d. in Paxtang, 1765. Wife, Mary, d. in
Hanover April, 1775. Six children, viz., John, wife Mary;
mar. 1775, lived in Mt. Pleasant township; William; Mary,
m. Joseph Sherer; Martha, m. Andrew Wilson; Jean,
James Bumey; Thomas, m. Mary Harvey.
B. Charles, wife Eleanor. He died prior to 1761.
Nine children, viz: Arthur, Eebecca, Jennett, William,
John, Martha, Eleanor, Charles, Margaret.
C. John, wife Mart. Died in Hanover 1762. Four
children, viz: James, William, Jane, who m.Wm. Waugh,
Ann. Of these, James was b. 1733, m. Mary Espy and d.
at Hanover Nov. 14, 1805. Nine children, viz: James, d.
s. Sept., 1815. Martha, m. a Wilson; three children.
William, son James. Frances. Isabel, m. Jos. Catheart.
John. Mary, m. Snodgrass. Andrew, m. and em. to Ohio.
Six children, viz: John, Hugh, Scott, Andrew W., Ann
and Bell. The fourth son. Dr. Andrew W. McClure em.
to Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, 1856. Mar. Emily Conaway Porter,
a dau. Martha McClure.
D. Eichard, eight children, viz: Alexander. William,
m. Margaret Wright. Jonathan, m. Sarah Hays. Andrew,
w., Margaret. Poan, wife Hannah, d. in Northumberland
County, Oct. 8, 1833. Margaret, m. Sept. 7, 1757, John
Steel. David, m. Margaret Lecky. Katherine, m. Eobt.
MoCLURES m PENNSYLVANIA. 179
McCLUEBS IN PHILADELPHIA.
Samuel MoCluee, b. in Belfast, Ireland, 1736, d. in
Phila. 1790. Revolutionary Soldier. Mar. Jenet Graham.
I. David McClure; m. Ann Russell. Son,
1. Dr. David McClure, m. Eliza Shute Stewart.
(1). Dau. Elise, b. in Phila., m. Henry Payson Gre-
gory; parents of Elise Gregory, b. Oakland, Oal., m. Lloyd
Bowman. A nvimber of the name are now living in and
Rev. Robert E. McClure, D. D., of Blairsville, Pa., gave
us the following information:
His great grandfather, with three brothers, came to
Phila. from the north of Ireland.
One of them left. four sons, viz: Andrew. John, who
died in West Middletown, Pa., and whose children all died
single. Richard. Dr. Robert McClure, b. in Phila.
and died in Washington County, Pa. Left a sou, Robert
Brown McClure, the builder of the first threshing machine
in the United States, He m. Letitia Templeton and left
nine children, viz: Aaron T. McClure, living in Washing-
ton County, Pa. ; Rev. Wm. S. McClure, D. D., pastor
Second U. P. church, Xenia, Ohio. Dr. James A. McClure,"
Columbus, Ohio; Mrs. Emma K. MacDill, Middletown,
Ohio; Mrs. Alice E. Snodgrass, Pittsburg, Pa.; Miss EttaM.
McClure, teacher, Pittsburg, Pa.; Miss Anna L. McClure,
West Middletown, Pa.; Mrs. Jas. E. Ralston, West Mid-
dletown, Pa.; Rev. Robert E, McClure, D. D., pastor U.
P. church, Blairsville, Pa.
The following appeared in the New York Times, Dec. 21,
A Bible carried under his left arm saved the life of the
Rev. Dr. R. E. McClure, pastor of the United Presbyterian
Church here and President of the Indiana County Anti-
Saloon League, last night, when an assassin's bullet struck
the Bible, perforating it and Dr. McClure's clothing.
On his way home from a sick call Dr. McClure was pass-
180 MoCLUEES IN PENNSYLVANIA.
ing two men in a shadowed spot in Stuart street, when he
heard a whistle. At the signal one of the men leveled a
revolver at the minister and fired. The bullet went wild.
A second bullet passed through the Bible and touched Dr.
McClure's skin, but did not break it. Unhurt, the clergy-
man picked up a brick and threw at the men, who fled.
One of the men lost his hat, which the minister turned
over to the police.
Dr. McClure has been unrelenting in his prosecution of
liquor law violators, and to this is attributed the attempt
to murder him. He is a Trustee of Westminster College
and one of the best known temperance workers in the State.
EoBERT McClure, a Eevolutionary soldier, lived in Wil-
liamsport, Pa. He m. Mary Hepburn. Two children, viz:
1. Hepburn McClure, m. Martha Biles Anthony, d. Annie
Eachel. 2. William McClure, m. Hannah Smith; son
Edwin Parson McClure, m. Elvira Grier, dau. Margaret, b.
in Eushville, Pa.
John McClure, who died in Morgantown, W. Va., 1874,
doubtless belongs to the Pennsylvania family. He m. 1835,
Martha Steele (1809-1910), b. in Greene County, Pa., dau.
of John Steele, b. in Augusta County, Va,, 1769. Three
children, among them, Olivier McClure, of Morgantown,
William McClure; who was president of the corpora-
tion of Dayton, Ohio, 1808. He was a Trustee of the First
Presbyterian Church of Dayton, Ohio, organized 1801.
Miss Jean Wilkinson, Pueblo, Col., writes that she is a
descendant of William McClure, who died in Tuscarora Val-
ley, Pa. He had a son Willian, father of Harvey, father
of Eleanor, mother of Miss Jean Wilkinson. William Sr.
and Jr., were Eevolutionary soldiers. She says, ''Mollie
McClure, the heroine of the Cherokee massacre, was of our
family." See p. 156.
The Pennsylvania State Library gives records of the fol-
lowing Eevolutionary soldiers, viz: Alexander, Andrew,
Francis, George, James, John, Martin and Patrick Mc-
Clure. Several of these are doubtless the same that ap-
pear in the Virginia records.
John McClube (1725-1777), founder of the family in
Botetourt county, was a son of Halbert and Agnes Mc-
Clure of p. 135, and not a son of Arthur as stated on p. 142.
Besides the three sons, Samuel, Malcolm and Nathaniel,
of whom sketches are given on p. 149; he had nine chil-
dren, viz: Alexander, Mary, Agnes, Jennet, Hannah, Re-
becca, Halbert, Moses and John.
John is said to have been born 1775, and was therefore
the youngest. Married Isabella McCorkle. Nine children,
viz: Samuel, Andrew, James, Capt. John A. who m. a
Wilson, parents of Mrs. N. J. Baker, of Nace, Va.; Wil-
liam, Catherine who m. a Flaherty, Mary who m. a Kish,
Joseph and Margaret. A granddaughter, Margaret, in
Missouri. Samuel and William em. to Kansas.
Alexander McClure, b. 1797, who m. Sarah Hardy of Bed-
ford County, Ya., and em. to St. Louis, Mo., doubtless be-
longs to this family.
In Hening, Vol. 7, p. 181, James, John, James, Hugh
and Halbart McClure, in Capt. Alexander Sayer's com-
pany, were paid Aug. 31, 1758, for military service.
Alexander and Moses McClure, for provisions.
The Virginia State Library gives a fragmentary record
of the following McClures in the Eevolutionary War:
Capt. David McClure, Capt. William McClure. First Lieu-
tenants Andrew, Francis and John McClure. Ensign Geo.
McClure. Privates Alexander, Andrew, James (Navy),
John, Nathan, Patrick, Robert, Samuel and William Mc-
In the War of 1812: Privates Alexander, Andrew, Arthur
We find in the "Official Records, War of the Rebellion"
that more than forty McClures served as officers in the
Civil War. Among them —
From Indiana (Wabash), Lieut. T. W. McClure.
From Illinois, Col. John D. McClure, Capt. Geo. W,
McClure, Capt. T. J. McClure, Capt. Samuel M. P. McClure,
Lieut. James A. McClure.
From Iowa, Lieut's H. M. McClure and Joseph D. Mc-
Clure; Serg. J. M. McClure, who died in prison at Ander-
sonville, Ga., Sept. 8, 1864.
From Kansas, Capt. James R. McClure.
From Kentucky, P. McClure, died prison, Anderson-
ville, Ga., May 10, 1864.
From Michigan, R. McClure, died prison, Anderson -
ville, Ga., Sept. 9, 1864.
From Xew York, Lieut. Thos. J. McClure.
From Missouri, Capt. T. J. McClure, Serg. Joseph
From Ohio, Capt. Addison S., son of Charles McClure,
Maj. Daniel McClure, Lieut. Geo. D. McClure, Maj. John
McClure, Capt. Oliver S. McClure, Capt. Wm. H. McClure,
Capt. Wm. M. McClure.
From Pennsylvania, Col. Alexander K. McClure, Capt.
William McClure (15th Cavalry), Capt. Wm. M. McClure,
(2nd Artillery), Dr. Samuel McClure.
From Wisconsin, Capt. Wm. McClure.
Georgia, Lieut's J. J. McClure, (Clay Co.), and W. H.
McClure, (Pike Co.).
Mississippi, James E. McClure.
Tennessee, Lieut. Robert G. McClure.
Nathan McClure, of Russell County, Ky., was a mem-
ber Kentucky Constitutional Convention, 1849. Member
of the House, 1833-'39; Senate, 1848, '61-'63.
Bryan S. McClure, Ky., Legislature 1871-'73.
R. C. McClure, Louisa, Ky., minority leader Ky.
John D. McClure, Grand Master of the Grand Lodge
of Ky., 1849. Grand High Priest, Ky., 1854.
Rev. W. K. McClure, Methodist minister, 1914, Perry-
The name occurs frequently in Missouri. Mrs. W. C.
Wilson, a descendant of John McClure, of Eock bridge Co.,
Va., states that Miss Nellie McClure, now Mrs. W. J. Har-
bicht, of Wentzville, Mo., is a niece of Joel and Milton
McClure, who em. from Kentucky to St. Charles County,
Mo., about 1825. There is a Margaret A. E. McLure
Chapter, U. D. C, St. Louis. Mr. Claude McClure be-
longs to the family for whom the town, McClure, 111., is
JosiE McClure, b. 1864, in Gallatin, Mo., m. Wm. W.
Eev. W. G. McClure was pastor, 1890, the Southern
Methodist church, Marshall, Mo.
Miss Mary McClure, Madison, Ind., is said to belong to
the Southern family.
THE ALEXANDER FAMILY.
This family came to Virginia from County Donegal, Ire-
land. Eev. James Alexander was pastor of the Eaphoe
Presbyterian church, 1678-1704. Archibald Alexan-
der was an Elder im the Taboyn (now Monreagh) church
about the same time.
The Alexander genealogy is given in Eoger's Memorials
of the Earl of Sterling and the House of Alexander, and
Chart by Francis Thomas Anderson Junkin, LL. D., Chi-
cago, from which the following is taken:
A^ A Norse settlement was early established in Arran and
Bute and other islands in the West of Scotland under the
Viking Conn Chead Chath of the Hundred Battles. His
descendant, Viking Somerled, about 1150, exercised pow-
erful authority in the Western Isles, disputing the sover-
eignty of Scotland with David I. In 1164 he entered the
Firth of Clyde with a fleet of one hundred and sixty ves-
sels, intending to usurp the Scottish Crown. He was de-
feated at Keiifrew and there slain. (Chron. Man. A. D.,
1104-1164) . He married, about 1140 (second wife) Affrica,
daughter of Olave the Red, King of Man, and had three
sons: DouGAL, from whom came subsequently the Ducal
House of Argyle; Angus, the third son, who became Lord
of the Isle of Bute; and Ranald, the second son, who be-
THE ALEXANDEE FAMILY. 185
came Lord of the Isles of Mull, Kintyre, &c. His son Don-
ald was the father of Angus (d. about 1290), whose grand-
son John, Lord of the Isles, married Margaret, daughter
of Eobert II, King of Scotland, grandson of King Eobert I,
the Bruce. Her descent from the old English kings of the
House of Cerdic is as follows: King Ecgberht, d. 836; his
son. King Ethelwulf, d. 855; son, King Alfred the Great,
d. 899; son. King Edward the Elder, d. 927; son, King