eBooksRead.com books search new books
James B Leslie.

Armagh clergy and parishes : being an account of the clergy of the Church of Ireland in the Diocese of Armagh, from the earilest period, with historical notices of the several parishes, churches, &c online

. (page 21 of 62)
Online LibraryJames B LeslieArmagh clergy and parishes : being an account of the clergy of the Church of Ireland in the Diocese of Armagh, from the earilest period, with historical notices of the several parishes, churches, &c → online text (page 21 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

of Ireland who had defended Drogheda. Sir Henry d. in 1667 ; his wife
built Beaulieu House, After the death s.p. of his grandson Sir Henry
Tichborne — created Baron Ferrard in 1715 — the property descended in
the female line to the Montgomerys. See Extinct Peerage.

In 1690 and 1692 " church out of repair chancel would cost £10, Body
£20 to repair, a visible distinction between them ; parishioners go to St.
Peter's, Drogheda" {V.B.). In 1731 — " R. is absent, without leave, in
England, hath a curate living at Drogheda ; he has neither glebe nor parson-
age house " (Pari. Ret.). In 1765 there were 90 Protestants and 325 Roman
Catholics in the parish, one church and one chapel in good repair {Pari.
Ret.). Robert Collier was then parish clerk and John Cutler schoolmaster
{V.B.). In 1768 — "One church, no glebe or house, the Rector resides
near his parish" {Ret. to Lords). A tower was built in 1787 ( Vestry Minutes).
A new church was built m 1807-8 by the aid of a gift of £600 from the
Board of First Fruits.

The Vestry Minutes contain references to the Militia Ballot in 1813, when
a special cess for Militia puriDOses was laid on those holding over 10 acres.
We find a note also stating that the following fees were fixed : — " 5/- for
opening a grave, and for monuments 10/- to £10." The Communion Plate
is inscribed : " Beaulieu Church."

There are several monuments in the church to members of the Mont-
gomery family. In the chiu-chyard is a curious stone with the figure of a
skeleton in high relief like that at Drogheda, and the date apparently 11 1 7 ( ?)
which is impossible.

The value of the R. in 1870 was £286 16s. 8d.

Records extant: — In P.R.O. Baptisms 1787-1877, Marriages 1787-
1874. Burials 1794-5 and 1827-76. Vestry Minutes from 1787.

Registers since these dates in possession of the V. of Termonfechin.



Parish of Brackaville, Perpetual Curates, &c. 149
BRACKAYILLE— (Co. Armagh).

fp&cpeiuaf CuxaUs,

1840 — Isaac Ashe, B.A., Lie — (D.R.). See Baronstown.

1849— John Finlay, B.A., Lie. June 5 {D.R.). See Ballymoyer.

1850— Michael Kearney, M.A., Lie. May 20 (D.R.). See Omeath.

1853— William James Mitchell Young, Lie. April 5 (D.E.). Son of James
Young, b. in Co. Tyrone ; educated by Mr. Darley ; ent. T.C.D. 1844,
aged 19 ; B.A. 1849 ; M.A. 1873 ; ord. D. 1850 ; P. 1851 ; res. in 1872 ;
C.-in-charge Gooderstowne (Norfolk) 1876-8; C. Banham (Norfolk)
1878-81 ; V. Mevagissey (Truro) 1882-9.

5ncum6ent6.

1872— William Mathews, inst. Oct. 14' (D.R.). Son of Henry Rowan M.,
b. in Co. Galway ; educated at the Diocesan School, Roscarbery ; ent.
T.C.D., aged 21, in 1864 ; B.A. 1880, and LL.B. 1880 ; ord. D. 1870 ;
P. 1871 ; C. Ballinderry 1870-2 ; res. Brackaville in 1884 ; C. Alverston
1886-7 ; C. St. M., Eastbourne 1887-8 ; C. St. Mark's, Regent's Park
1888-9; C. Gt. Clacton 1890-2; C. Emmanuel Ch., W. Dulwich 1892-3;
Chaplain Lambeth Guardians School, Norwood, 1895 ; Chapl. of South
Metropolitan Cemetery, Norwood, 1898 ; now William Stewart Mathews.

1884 — Simeon Gauden, inst. Nov. 4 (D.R.) ; educated at St. Bees Coll. ;
ord. D. 1881 ; P. 1882 ; C. St. James's, W. Bromwich, 18881-3 ; C. St.
Matthew, Duddeston, 1883-4.

NOTES ON CHURCH, PARISH, &c.

The parish of Brackaville was on Nov. 25, 1840, established as a Per-
petual Curacy taken out of Killyman, Donaghenry, Tullaniskin and Clonoe
parishes, each of the Rectors of these parishes having the right of nomi-
nation in turn, and paying £17 each to the P.C. except the R. Clonoe, who
paid £24.

The church was built about 1840 and consecrated, being dedicated to
the Holy Trinity, in Nov. 1843. It was pulled down and a new and larger
one erected on a different site (3 roods conveyed by Deed, dated 4 Mar., 1856)
and consecrated July 15, 1861, being also dedicated to the Holy Trinity.

The parish includes the village of Coalisland, which was originated in the
formation of the Tyrone Canal, begun by Government in 1744, but never
completed. This canal communicates with Lough Neagh. There is a
coal mine, pottery and brick kiln founded in 1834, and other manufactures.

Records extant : — In Incumbent's possession, under Retention Order,
Baptisms, Marriages and Burials since 1836. In Office of R.C.B., Deed of
Site of Coalisland Church 1840 ; Lease of Site of Church and Churchyard
1856 ; Confirmation of do. 1863 ; Deeds of Schoolhouses 1844 and 1845.



150 Parish of Brantry, Perpetual Curates & Incumbents.
BRANTRY— (Co. Tyrone).

(pevpeitxaf Curates*

1844— Godfrey Edward Alexander, M.A., Lie. Jan. 30 (D.R.). See Caledon.

1848— Gerald Fitzgerald, Lie. April 18 {D.R.). A Gerald F., son of Rev.
Gerald F., D.D. (afterwards Vice-Provost T.C.D.) ent. T.C.D. 18 June,
1790, aged 16. He res. Brantry on Nov. 21, 1856.

1856— Huddleston Stokes, Lie. Dee. 16 (D.R.) ; Caius and Gonville Coll.
Camb. B.A. (Jun. Opt. and 2nd Class CI. Tripos.) 1854 ; ord. D. 1854 ;
P. 1856 ; C. Freshwater, Isle of Wight, 1854-6 ; res. Brantry Oct. 23,
1861 ; became C. Bembridge, I. of W. 1861-71 ; V. Newtown, I. of W.,
1871-8; V. Wall (Lich.) 1878; afterwards R. Stapleton (Salop); d. at
the Croft, Crowthorne, Berks., Aug. 20, 1904, aged 72 years.

1861— Andrew Ferguson Smyly, Lie. Nov. 12 (D.R.). Son of John George
Smyly, Barrister, ent. T.C.D. as a Fellow Commoner 1849, b. in Dublin ;
B.A. 1853 ; M.A. 1862 ; ord. D. 1854 ; P. 1855 ; C. Fahan (Derry) 1856-7 ;
C. Lifford 1857-61 ; res. Brantry in 1867 for C. Culmore (Derry) 1867-9 ;
R. Aghadoey 1869 ; R. Drumachose 1880-3 ; Dean of Derry and R.
Templemore (Derry) 1883-97 ; d. April, 1897 ; buried on Saturday May
1, 1897 ; had issue a dau, m. Major Smythe ; a dau., m. B. H. Lane ; a
dau, m. Rev. Richard King ; brother-in-law of Primate Alexander and
Rev. Canon Newlands; was a Member of Diocesan Council of Derry
and General Synod.

1867 — Francis Elton Freeman, Lie. Nov. 19 (D.R.). Son of Francis Gardiner
F., b. in Herefordshire, educated by Mr. White, ent. T.C.D. in 1854,
aged 20 ; B.A. 1857 ; Div. Test. 1858 ; M.A. 1860 ; ord. D. 1858 ; P. 1859 ;
C. Southwick (Durham) 1858-63; C. Reepham 1863-7; C. Shadforth
1869-72 ; res. Brantry June 16, 1873 ; C. All Saints', Coventry 1873-5 ;
C. St. Thomas's, Coventry, 1875-7 ; C. Christ Ch., Coventry, 1878-9 ;
C. St. Thomas's, Westham 1879-82.

3ncum6ent6.

1873— Charles King Irwin, M.A., inst. July 26 (D.R.) ; res. in 1879. See
Archdeacons.

1880— Samuel Bradshaw, inst. Feb. 20 {D.R.). Son of John B., b. in Co.
Monaghan, ent. T.C.D. in 1862, aged 16, educated by Mr. Rowbotham ;
B.A. 1868 ; Eccl. Hist. Prize 1869 ; M.A. 1873 ; ord. D. 1869 ; P. 1870 ;
C. Carnteel 1869-80 ; d. at Brantry Rectory, March 10, 1887, aged 40
years.

1887— Pilsworth Brownrigg Bookey, M.A., inst. May 21 (D.R.) ; res. in 1896
for Tartaraghan, q.v.

1896— Henry Gordon Waller Scott, M.A., inst. Sep. 18 (D.R.) ; res. in 1903
for Creggan. See TuUaniskin.

1903— Charles King Irwin, jun., inst. Sep. 7 (D.R.). Son of Ven. C. King
Irwin, Archdeacon of Armagh (see above), b. at Brantry Rectory
March 30, 1874, ed. at the Royal School, Armagh, King's School,
Warwick, and T.C.D. ; B.A. 1896 ; Div. Test. 1897 ; M.A. and B.D.
1907; ord. D. 1897; P. 1899; C. Armagh 1897-1903; Provincial
Registrar of Armagh 1898 ; Member of the Diocesan Council and General
Synod 1909. Author of Prize Essay on Methods of Episcopal Appoint-
ment (Church of Ireland Printing Co., 1909, 8vo, 50 pp.) and Eternal
Punishment (S.P.C.K., 1910) ; m. Jan. 15, 1901, Louisa, youngest dau.



Parish of Caledon, Perpetual Curates, i8o6-'55. 151

of Rev. T. H. Royse, late R. of Forkill, and has issue (1) Charles King,
b. 1902, (2) Thomas Henry Royse, b. 1906, (3) Elizabeth Louisa, b. 1907.

NOTES ON CHURCH, PARISH, &c.

Brantry=:BrentuIr — fetid district (see O'Donovan's Four Masters, 1599).
It is frequently mentioned in the Irish Journal of O'Mellane as a district
in the N.E. of the parish of Aghalow, and the name is still preserved in
Brentry Wood on Ord. Survey Maps.

It was created a Perpetual Curacy on 12 Oct., 1843, being formed out of
townlands from the parishes of Carnteel, Aghalow and Clonfeacle, the
Incumbents of which had the right of nomination in turn. The church
was built in Crievelough on the estate of the Earl of Caledon and at the
expense of the Countess of Caledon, who also built a glebe house, to which
Lord Caledon granted a glebe. The church was consecrated on 13th Sep.,
1844, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The Communion Plate includes
a chalice inscribed : " The gift of John George, Lord Archbishop of Armagh,
to the church of Brantry, 1844," and a flagon and a paten inscribed :
" Brantry Church, 1844." A brass alms dish bears the inscription :
" Trinity Church, Brantry, 1875."

Records extant : — In Incumbent's possession, under Retention Order,
Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials from 1844.



CALEDON— (Co. Tyrme).

(J)et^efuaf Curafeg*

1806— James Campbell, B.A., Lie. Dec. 30 (D.-B.).; res. in 1807 for Forkill,
q.v.

1818— Charles Alexander, M.A., Lie. Nov. 6 {D.R.) ; res. in 1825 for Keady.
See Drumcree.

1825— James McCreight, Lie. Oct. 22 {D.R.). Was C. Killeavy 1823 ; d. in
1835. A monument with inscription has been erected in the church
to his memory.

1835— Edward Adderley Stopford M.A., Lie. Oct. 20 [D.R.) ; ord. D. 1833 ;
P. 1834. He was the 2nd son of Bishop Stopford of Meath, previously
Archdeacon of Armagh (see p. 56). He res. Caledon in 1837 and be-
came Archdeacon of Meath. He was the author of the well-known
Handbook of Ecclesiastical Law and Duty (Hodges, Smith & Co., Dublin,
1861) and numerous other publications. He died on April 21, 1874,
aged 63 (see Healy's Diocese of Meath, Vol. IL and C.F. Ill, 130 and V).

1837— Michael Kearney, B.A., Lie. Mar. 7 (D.R.). See Omeath.

1843— Jonathan Rogers Chomley, M.A., Lie. Feb. 21 {D.R.) ; res. in 1848
for Lisnadill. See Prebs. LoughgaU.

1848— Godfrey Edward Alexander, Lie. May 9 {D.R.). He was son of Rev.
Charles A., of Drumcree. T.C. Oxford, B.A. 1840 ; M.A. 1843 ; ord. D.
1842 ; P. 1842 ; C. Drumcree 1842 ; P.C. Brantry 1844-8 ; res. Caledon
in 1855 for V. Woodford-cum-membris (North Hants.) 1855-65; R.
Stoke- Bliss (Heref.) 1865-95 ; Domestic Chaplain to Earl of Caledon
1895 ; pres. a silver paten to Caledon church 1849 ; m. in 1850 Henrietta,
dau. of William John Alexander Shaw, 2nd son of Sir William Alexander
S. by Catherine, dau. of John F. Malpas, and his wife Isabella, dau.
of Robert Alexander, of Seamount. Died Dec. 28, 1901.

1855— William Bettesworth Armstrong, Lie. Aug. 29 {D.R.). Son of Rev.
William A., P.C. Cah-y, Co. Sligo ; T.C.D. B.A. 1852 ; Div. Test. (1)



152 Parish of Caledon, Incumbents, &c.

1853 ; M.A. 1872 ; ord. D. 1853 ; P. 1855 ; C. Brookborough (Qogher)
1854-5 ; Representative Canon of Armagh and Preb. Yagoe in St.
Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin 1886-1900 ; Member of the Diocesan Council
and Greneral Synod ; m. Isabella Jane, 2nd dau. of Henry Leslie Prentice,
D.L., agent to Lord Caledon. She d. Sep. 1, 1902." He d. 3.p. at
Caledon Oct. 13, 1900, aged 70.

3ncum6enf6.

1900— Guy William Carleton L'Estrange, M.A., inst. Dec. 17 (D.R.). See

Charlestown.
1905— Thomas Carey, inst. Sep. 19 (D.R.) ; T.C.D. B.A. 1897 ; M.A. 1902 ;

ord. D. 1898; P. 1899; C. Delvin 1898-1900; Vicar-Choral of Armagh

1900-5; m. Miss Ogle, of Co. Meath.

Cutaiee.

1799— John Mee.

1858— T. J. Coffee {Oldham's Directory).

1870— Charles Robert Reeves, B.A., Lie. Dec. 18 {D.R.). See Tynan.
1876— James Hamilton, Lie. Dec. 7 (D.R.). See Pomeroy.
1882-4 — William Dunlop Morrow. See Kildress.

1895— Guy William Carleton L'Estrange, M.A., Lie. Dec. 23 (D.R.) ; became
Rector in 1900.

NOTES ON CHURCH, PARISH, &c.

The Perpetual Curacy of Caledon was formed out of the|Union of Aghalow
and Camteel on 26 Dec, 1806, and endowed on 29 Dec, 1806, and cor-
responded to the ancient parish of Aghalow or Aghaloo, q.v. In 1679 the
church of the Union — which was in building in 1622 {R.V.) — was in good
repair. It was situate nearer the Camteel parishioners at the extreme
end of Aghalow parish. Its ruins now lie between Aughnacloy and Bally-
gawley, and are vested in the local Burial Board. The parishioners who
lived at Kenard [=high head or hill] erected by Charles II into the Manor
of Calledon or Caledon — [?=fort of the marshy meadow] petitioned the
Primate, stating that they were unable to attend the church, not only
because of its great distance, but also because of the great woods that
intervened, the depth of the soil and the overflowings of the Blackwater.
The Primate, therefore, recommended that Camteel and the upper part
of Aghalow and Killeshil should be united and have the church of Aghalow
as parish church to be served by a curate, and that a new church, erected
near Caledon on the site of an older foundation, offered by ilr. John
Hamilton, of Kenard, should serve as the parish church of Aghalow. Such
an Order in Council was made on 27th Sep., 1682, and the church was
erected ; but King James's soldiers, soon after, issuing from Charlemont
fort bombarded it and destroyed the shingle roof. From the Vestry Minutes
of 1691 we find the parishioners lost no time in restoring it, and it was open
for Divine Service during the year 1698, if not before that year ; probably
the chancel was not built for some time, and internally the church was
incomplete till 1712. A belfry was added about the year 1730 and a bell
obtained. As the parishioners increased in number it was found necessary
in 1768 to rebuild the church on a larger scale. The Ret. to Lords of that
year has, " a church rebuilding and nearly finished, a small glebe and house.
The rector resides at Caledon." The nave was completed in 1769, and the
whole completed in 1782. The church is dedicated to St. John. In 1785
subscriptions were invited to raise a sufficient sum to build a tower. The
list was headed by Mr. James Alexander with £100 and the Archdeacon
(Arthur Jacob) foUowed with £50 and the Vestry voted £50 in three



Parish of Caledon, Notes. 153

consecutive years. This being accomplished, a new roof of slate and copper
replaced the shingle roof in 1815. The copper roof was torn ofif by a violent
storm in 1830, but it was replaced with lead by the Earl of Caledon, to whose
generosity the parish was also indebted for the beautiful spire, designed by
Nash, for which provision was made by a bequest in the late Earl's Will.
A new Vestry and other improvements were carried out about this time.

In 1848 the internal arrangements, seating, etc., were improved, the
fabric remodelled, new lancet windows replacing the circular headed ones,
at a cost of £550. An organ (which has lately been enlarged) was erected
in 1869, and a new marble font given in memory of members of the Vandeleur
family. In 1890 a new stone and marble pulpit was erected to the memory
of Jane, Countess of Caledon, by her children. There are memorial windows
to the following : — James Du Pre, Earl of Caledon ; Catherine Freeman,
Countess of Caledon ; William John Alexander Shaw and his wife ; Anne
Prentice and Henry Leslie Prentice ; there are also several memorial tablets.
In 1901 an exceedingly handsome memorial was erected by the Countess
of Caledon, the Earl of Caledon, and the brothers and sisters of the late
Earl, to his memory. In 1904 handsome Bath stone and marble Com-
munion rails were placed in the church, the space inside the Communion
rails was floored with mosaic of choice design, and a memorial tablet was
erected as memoiials of Canon and Mrs. Armstrong by the parishioners
and other friends at a cost of about £120. In 1904 the executors and
beneficiaries under Canon Armstrong's Will gave a sum of £60 to be invested
for the benefit of the poor of the parish, as a memorial fund to him and
Mrs. Armstrong. In the same year (1904) a new heating apparatus was
erected by Musgrave & Co., a new Vestry built, and other improvements
carried out at a cost of £187. His Grace the Lord Primate gave a grant
of £100 from the Beresford Fund towards this expense. A piece of ground
added to the chixrchyard was consecrated on 20 Oct., 1853. The Parochial
School opposite the church was built in 1776, and rebuilt by the Dowager
Lady Caledon, as was also the Infant School. The dates are cut
on both.

The Communion^ Plate is valuable, and includes a silver paten inscribed :
" Hanc Patinam Sacram Johannes Hamilton de Callidon Armiger et Lucy
Hamilton, alias Dopping, uxor ejus, ecclesise Parochiali Sancti Johannis de
Aghalow, D.D. Anno. Dom. 1712;" a large silver paten inscribed: —
" Presented for the use of Caledon Church by the Rev. Godfrey E. Alex-
ander, Easter, 1849," and a plated chalice, paten and flagon : " Presented
for the service of Caledon Church by Du Pre, Earl of Caledon, Christmas,
1815."

Crilly Chapel of Ease in Camteel parish was licensed on 23 Jan., 1873.
The glebe house at Tulnashane was buUt in 1810.

The village of Caledon seems to have been an important military fort
from an early period, as here was the principal residence of one of the O'Neill
chieftains. Kenard, as it was then called, is flrst mentionedjin 1498, when
Lord Deputy Kildare drove Mac Art O'Neill from his stronghold here
and gave the fortress to Tirlagh O'Neill, ally of the British. One of his
descendants, Tirlagh, had a grant of Kenard with 4,000 acres from James I,
and prior to 1619 built here a bawn of lime and stone and a castle, which
was afterwards the residence of Sir Phelim O'Neill, who headed the in-
surrection of 1641, and who on 22 Oct., 1641, by treachery made Lord
Caulfield prisoner at Charlemont, and afterwards put him to death at his
castle at Kenard, of which there is now no trace. General Munro, in 1646,
at length overpowered the insurgents here, having fought the battle of
Benburb.

In the Caledon Demesne, at a well beside the avenue is a Celtic Cross
8 feet high with solid recessed ring, a boss in the centre of the west side.



154 Parish of Camlough, Perpetual Curates, 1793-1818.

slight trace of a figure on the east side, and bears along the angles, of which
a description and illustration is in Jour. R.S.A.I., Vol. XVI, 426.

From the Vestry Minutes of 1817 we learn that the parish beggars were
supplied with badges.

The late Canon Armstrong published an interesting " Sketch of the
foundation and progress of the Church of St. John of Aghalow, commonly
called Caledon Church," 9 pp., which was printed by the Caledon Missionary
Work Society. See Aghalow.

Records extant : — In Incumbent's possession (see also Aghalow) :—
Deeds of 1759, 1774, 1786, 1806, 1807. License of Crilly Church, 1873.



CAMLOUGH— (Co. Armagh).

(:()etf|)etuaf Cuirafeg.

1793 — Joseph Henry, Lie. Aug. 13 (Lea's Eccl. Calendar). He was the son
of Joseph H., " generosus," b. in Co. Armagh, ent. T.C.D. Feb. 5, 1775,
aged 23. He m. Isabella, dau. of Robert Baillie, of the Innishargie
family, Co. Down. His son Robert became R. of Jonesborough, q.v.,
and another son, Thomas Gibson, of Moume Abbey, Kilkeel, became
Agent to the Earl of Kilmorey, and m. Mary Anne, dau. of John Quinn
and was the father of John Quinn, Henry, Agent to the Earl of Kilmorey,
and 5 other sons and 6 daus. A dau. m. George Gray, merchant, of
Newry, 10 Feb., 1808. (See Dr. Crossle's History of Lodge XVIII,
Newry). A memorial window was erected in the new church (Christ
Church) Bessbrook to the memory of Rev. Joseph H. by his two sons
in 1868.
1818— Henry Boyd, M.A., Lie. Jan. 2 {D.R.). One H.B., son of Charles B.,
b. in Co. Tyrone, ent. T.C.D. as a Sizar June 1, 1770, aged 20 (Reg. T.C.D.) ;
was C. or R. Rathfriland circa 1800 ; Chancellor of Kilfenora 1809-19.
Rev. Henry Boyd, then of Anglesea Street, Dublin, m. in 1776 (M.L.
dated July 30) Elizabeth Irwin of St. James's Parish, Dublin. His dau.
Margaret m. 8 Dec, 1829, Hans Ogle, of Newry (N.T.). His son Charles
M.A., became R. Magheradroll 1816-72, and d. in his 97th year on 11 Mar.
1872. Another son was Rev. H. E. Boyd, M.A., Preb. Dromara 1811-64
(ob.). His eldest dau. Anne Jane d. at Kingstown, 16 July, 1856. His
youngest son Frederick d. at Hilltown, June, 1812. In Erck's Ecd. Reg.
for 1827 it is said : — " Mr. Boyd had a benefice in another diocese
[?=V. Bodenstown (Kildare)], which he res. to his son and accepted this
curacy ; he is now superannuated and incapable of duty, but enjoys all
the emoluments and the Archbishop pays the Assistant, viz., Fortescue
Gorman." (See Curates). A Rev. Henry Boyd was R. Magheramlet
about 1818-32.

We give the following newspaper notices of him : —

" In a wild and uncultivated district, at the foot of Sliebh GuUion,
resides the Rev. H. Boyd, a gentleman well known in the literary world
as the translator of the ' Divina Commedia ' of Dante, and as possessing
very considerable literary talent. He is at present upwards of 80 years
of age, by far the greater proportion of which he has been a Curate of the
Established Church, residing for the last 20 years in this retired mountain
district, and enjoying the respect and best wishes of the parishioners,
who are nearly all Roman Catholics." — Newry Telegraph, 27 Aug., 1830.

" It is with much regret we this day announce the decease, at
Ballintemple, [the name of the townland in which he resided] near
Newry, on the 18th Inst., at a very advanced age, of the Rev.



Parish of Camlough, Perpetual Curates, &c. 155

Henry Boyd, M.A., a gentleman well known to the literary world
and particularly so as the first translator of the sublime works of
Dante into English verse. We will not enter into any particulars
with respect to the personal character and peculiarities of this eminent
man ; but this, at least, we cannot avoid saying, that, by a considerable
portion of the community of the North of Ireland he has been long and
justly indeed regarded as a pious, benevolent and exemplary Parish
Minister. Notwithstanding his great age, he retained the clear exercise
of his faculties to the last moment, and was engaged, within a few hours
of his death, in making edifying observations on Dwight's Theology,
the reading of which he had just then concluded." — Newry Telegra'ph,
21 Sep., 1832. See also Dublin University Mag., May, 1854.

1832— Andrew Cleland, Lie. Oct. 13 {D.R.). Son of William C, b. m Co.
Down, ent. T.C.D. Nov. 7, 1825, aged 19; B.A. 1830. Probably the
same who became R. Dundonald (Down) in 1852 resigning Camlough ?

1851— John Brien Frith, Lie. Nov. 1 (D.R.), son of Wm. Frith " generosus,"
of the Cross, Enniskillen ; b. in Co. Fermanagh, educated by Mr. O'Beirne,
ent. T.C.D. m 1834, aged 17 ; B.A. 1839 ; ord. D. 1841 ; P. 1842 ; C.
Baronstown 1844 ; C. Mullabrack 1849 ; m. Jane Townley. His eldest
son is Rev. William R. Frith, R. Swynnerton, Staffs. His second son is
J. B. Frith, Esq., The Cross, Enniskillen. Baptist Gamble, another son
of Rev. J. B. and Jane F. was b. May 4. 1860, and a dau. Jane Florence
Elizabeth was b. Nov. 7, 1862 (Meigh Par. Reg.). He res. in 1874 ; d.
Nov. 20, 1893.

3ncum6ent0.

1875— Thomas Jordan, B.D., inst. April 24 (D.R.); res. in 1878. See
Magherafelt.

1878- Abraham Lockett Ford, M.A., inst. Dec. 18 {D.R.) ; res in 1893 for
Ardee, q.v.

1893— William Jones, M.A., mst. Sep. 4 (D.R.) ; res. in 1895 for Kilmore,
q.v.

1895— Francis Meredith Moeran, M.A., inst. Aug. 8 ; res. in 1897 for Lough-
gall. See Derryloran.

1897— Edward Daniel Crowe, M.A., inst. Feb. 13 [D.R.) ; res. in 1900 for
Drumcree, q.v.

1900— Henry Todd, inst. July 30 (D.R.), youngest son of James T., b.
at Stonebridge, Co. Armagh, educated at Santry School and T.C.D..
where he obtained Mathematical Sizarship ; Senior Exhibition ; Michael
Roberts Prize in Mathematics ; First Honours and Prize in Modern
History and Logics ; First Resp. B.A. 1895 ; was formerly Mathematical
Master in Royal School, Cavan, and in Drogheda Grammar School,, and
Math. Lecturer in Mungret College, Limerick; ord. D. 1896; P. 1897:
C. Carlmgford 1896-9; C. St. Mary's, Newry 1899-1900; m. 30 Oct.,
1902, Emma S., eldest dau. of John Hardy, C.E., Bessbrook. Mr. Todd
ia probably one of the best all-round scholars in the Church of Ireland.

Cutafeg.

1825 — Fortescue Gorman, Lie. Dec. 28. See above — Incumbents. M.L. of
Rev. Fortescue Thomas William Gorman and Harriett Greene, dated
1824. He became C. Knockmark (Meath) 1825.

1831 — James Macartney appears ; res. Nov. 1832 (.Neim/ Telegraph).

1863-72— William Henry PUcher, T.C.D. B.A. and Div. Test. (2) 1841 ;
ord. D. 1843 ; P. 1844 ; C. Carlingford 1843-5 ; Chaplain R.N. 1845-55 ;



Online LibraryJames B LeslieArmagh clergy and parishes : being an account of the clergy of the Church of Ireland in the Diocese of Armagh, from the earilest period, with historical notices of the several parishes, churches, &c → online text (page 21 of 62)
Using the text of ebook Armagh clergy and parishes : being an account of the clergy of the Church of Ireland in the Diocese of Armagh, from the earilest period, with historical notices of the several parishes, churches, &c by James B Leslie active link like:
read the ebook Armagh clergy and parishes : being an account of the clergy of the Church of Ireland in the Diocese of Armagh, from the earilest period, with historical notices of the several parishes, churches, &c is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014