James B Leslie.

Armagh clergy and parishes : being an account of the clergy of the Church of Ireland in the Diocese of Armagh, from the earilest period, with historical notices of the several parishes, churches, &c online

. (page 44 of 62)
Online LibraryJames B LeslieArmagh clergy and parishes : being an account of the clergy of the Church of Ireland in the Diocese of Armagh, from the earilest period, with historical notices of the several parishes, churches, &c → online text (page 44 of 62)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


the Revd. Henry C. Irvine, B.A., | by his parishioners and | friends,
1887." A memorial window also bears the inscription: — " Erected by
bequest of | the Revd. Henry CVossle Irvine, B.A., | for 31 years Minister
in the Church | of Ireland | and 14 years Incumbent of this Parish. |
Bom November 7th, 1829, died | June 26th, 1885."

1885— Herbert ffimillus Sandford, M.A., Lie. as Curate-in-charge Sep. 15 and
afterwards inst. as Incumbent Nov. 9, 1887, by the Primate on lapse
(D.R.) ; res. for Killylea in 1888. See Drogheda.

1888— Thomas Kingsborough, inst. Sep. 18 {D.R.). Educated at St. Bees
Coll., of which he holds Div. Test., also passed Oxford and Cambr. Prel.
Exam, for Holy Orders ; ord. D. 1885 ; P. 1886 ; C. Aghaderg 1885-6 ;
C. Ballyphilip 1886; R. Annaghmore 1886-8; m. Jan. 11, 1888, Eva
Elinor Drusilla, youngest dau. of Rev. Henry Hutchings, R. of Kilcluney,
and has issue one daughter.

NOTES ON CHURCH, PARISH, &c.

Kildarton=? Darton's Church.

It was formed as a Perpetual Curacy out of Armagh, Lisnadill, Lough-
gall and MuUabrack parishes on Feb. 14, 1840 — the Rectors of the 1st,
3rd and 4th of these having alternate right of nomination, and they paid
£50, £26 and £24 respectively per ann. to the P.C. The chUTCh was built
in 1841 and consecrated April 3, 1841. There is a tablet in Kildarton
church to Mr. Oliver, (who had much to do in the arrangements for the
building of that church) inscribed as follows : — "Sacred to the memory of |
the Rev. Silver Oliver, | for 31 years Rector of the Parish of Loughgall. (
His unwearied exertions during that period | to relieve the temporal and
spiritual wants | of the young and the poor committed to his charge | and
his earnest zeal for the spread of the Gospel | throughout the world, | his
consistent walk and his unfeigned humility | proved him to have been ani-
mated by the Spirit | of his blessed Redeemer. | He departed this life in
the year of our Lord 1844, | aged 66 years." See Prebs. Loughgall.

There is a very old graveyard in this parish of which little is known
and in which are the ruins of a church or old abbey. The glebe house was
built in 1860.

The Communion Plate— plated— includes a chalice inscribed : " Kil-
darton Church, 1839 " ; a paten : " Kildarton Church, 1841 " ; another :



322 Parish of Kildemock, Vicars, 1309-1634.

" Kildarton Church, 1842," and alms dishes of white metal with inscription :
" Presented by Robert Mann to Kildarton Church, 1877."

Records extant : — In P.R.O. — Baptisms 1840-77, Marriages 1841-77
Burials 1846-76. Copies with Incumbent ; also Registers since these dates
and Vestry Books dating before 1841 and Preacher's Books from 1840.
In Office of R.C.B.— Deed of Conveyance of Site of Church from Lord
Charlemont, 23 May, 1840.



KILDEMOCK. — (Co. Louth.)

1309-10 — Adam, " Vicar of Kildemock" (see History of KUsaran, p. 23).

1318-9— Robert (Plea Rolls 2 & 3 Ed. II).

1365— Thomas Condelagh or Conlagh (? Louragh) pres. by the Prior of
Kilmainham {D.E.). See Manfieldstown.

1409 — William Proute exchanged in 1411 with Patrick O'Coyn for Clonkeen.
He had been pres. to this V. by Thomas le Botiller, Prior of Kilmainham
(D.i?.). See Clonkeen and next entry.

1411 — Patrick O'Coyn, Sep. 11. Presented by the Prior of Kilmainham
(D.R.). Previously R. Clonkeen. Had been, on Mar. 2, 1409, appointed
coadjutor of Proute in this V., the latter being disabled from perform-
ing its duties by age and infirmities (D.R.). O'Coya died in 1428.

1428 — Maurice Cussing, March 26. Pres. by Thomas le Botiller, Prior of
Kilmainham; resigned in 1430 (D.R.).

1430— William Corre, pres. July 14 by William FitzThomas, Prior of Kil-
mainham ; inst. July 16 (D.R.).

1435— William Wynter appears {D.R.) ; res. in 1436.

1436— John O'Hamyll, Sep. 25. Pres. by Frier Maurice FitzGerrot of
Kilmainham. This parish was united to Kilpatrick circa 1450 (D.R.).
See Kilpatrick.

1456— Richard Mann appears (D.R.).

1461 — Nicholas Dowdall appears {D.R.). Perhaps this is the Nicholas
DowdaU who was Preb. Clonmethan in 1475, and had grant of license
of absence for 3 years to study at Oxford (Mason's S. Patrictc'a),

1479— William Lawles was deprived this year (D.R.).

1479 — John Cortaly, or Costaly. He was inducted May 17 by John Cashell,
V. of Athirdee, before whom as Commissary to Archdeacon Corkeran
an inquisition was held in the church there on 15 May, finding this V.
vacant for 2 months by the removal or deprivation of William Lawles,
and that Thomas Talbote, Prior of Kylsaran, in the name of the Hospital
of Kilmaynam was the true Patron and had pres. last, and it was of the
yearly value of 40s. (D.R.).

1508— John Nangle appears {D.R.).

1518— Thomas Duffy, or Duff appears (D.R.). He res. in 1548.

1548 — John McEecad, June 4 (D.R.). Pres. by the King.

1622 — Robert Goodlad discharges the cure according to the means {R.V.).

1634— David Landell, inst. May 28 {R. V. 1633 & F.F. T.). See Dunleer and
Moylary.

The Rectory and Vicarage have since been joined to Ardee, q.v.



Parishes of Kildemock and Kildeess. 323

NOTES ON CHURCH, PARISH, &c.

KiIdemock=Dimock*s Church. This church was dedicated to St.
Katherine the Virgin.

In 1622 " church and chancel were ruinous. A poore Vicar's house "
{B.V.). In 1633 the value of the R. was £15 (i?.F.). In 1656 the great
tithes were rented to William Barkley for Col. Fowke at £4.

In 1765 there were " 20 Protestants and 280 Roman Catholics, no
church or chapel," and in 1766 2 Protestant families (Nath. Marmon and
Richard Bale) and 88 R.C. families in the parish (Pari. Bet.).

The parish since 1633 has remained united to Ardee. The Rectory
was worth £200 in 1869.

The old graveyard is now vested in Ardee District Council.

The ruined chUTCh In Millockstovm T.L. near the old glebe of the Union
measures 53 x 19^ with a chancel 36 feet longer. In Wright's Louthiana,
Book III., Plate XXI. a view and plan are given, and he says it is much
resorted to on account of the surprising position of a large portion of the
gable end, which is reported to have been blown from its foundation, in a
violent storm, about 2 yards into the church where it still remains erect,
which strange accident though greatly inquired into has no way yet been
accounted for in a satisfactory manner. On account of this the church is
popularly known as " the jumping chlU-ch." See also O.S. Letters.

The glebe house of Ardee Union, until Disestablishment, stood upon
a hill in Kildemock. It was sold to Mr. McKeever by the R.B.

Records extant : — See Ardee.



KILDRESS.— rCo Tyr



Online LibraryJames B LeslieArmagh clergy and parishes : being an account of the clergy of the Church of Ireland in the Diocese of Armagh, from the earilest period, with historical notices of the several parishes, churches, &c → online text (page 44 of 62)