James H. Hawley.

History of Idaho : the gem of the mountains (Volume 2) online

. (page 1 of 123)
Online LibraryJames H. HawleyHistory of Idaho : the gem of the mountains (Volume 2) → online text (page 1 of 123)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


HISTORY

OF



IDAHO



The Gem of the Mountains



ILLUSTRATED



VOLUME II



CHICAGO

THE S. J. CLARKE PUBLISHING COMPANY
1920



Biographical



HON. JAMES H. HAWLEY.



Hon. James H. Hawley, Idaho pioneer in many parts of the state, a dis-
tinguished member of the bar, governor from 1910 until 1912, his record has
ever been such as has reflected credit and honor upon the state that has honored
him. Born in Dubuque, Iowa, January 17, 1847, he is a son of Thomas and Annie
(Carr) Hawley, who were natives of Brooklyn and of Cooperstown, New York,
respectively. In the paternal line he comes of English ancestry with an Irish
strain, while on the distaff side he is of Irish, Holland and English lineage. One
of his great-grandfathers in the maternal line was a soldier of the war of the
Revolution, while his grandfather was a soldier ot the War of 1812. Mr. Hawley's
mother died when he was an infant, and his father went to California in 1849,
leaving the boy with relatives. His father resided in California until 1856, when
he removed to Texas and lived there until his death a number of years later.

James H. Hawley acquired a common and high school education in Dubuque,
Iowa, being there graduated with the class of 1861. He became a resident of
Idaho in 1862 and in October, 1864, left Placerville, Boise county, for California
to pursue a college course, and was a student in the City College of San Fran-
cisco for three years, taking a scientific course. In the meantime he had engaged
in mining and prospecting in Idaho from April, 1862, until October, 1864, save
for the winter of 1863-4. when he acted as agent and distributor at Placerville,
Idaho, for the Boise News, the first paper published in the state. While pursuing
his college course in San Francisco he also read law under the direction of the
firm of Sharpstien & Hastings of that city, having previously familiarized him-
self to some extent with law principles before going to San Francisco. Follow-
ing his return to Idaho in 1868 he resumed mining but incidentally continued
his law reading and was admitted to the supreme court of Idaho on the 14th of
February, 1871. Mr. Hawley has pioneered in every part of the state. He was
among the first to reach nearly all of the placer camps and was identified with
mines and their operation in many sections of Idaho in early times. Since be-
coming a member of the bar he has practiced law throughout the state, devoting
most of his efforts to mining, irrigation and criminal law; has had an extensive
practice in all these lines; and has the reputation of having tried more murder
cases than any other member of the bar in the United States. Soon after his
admission he was appointed deputy district attorney for the second district of Idaho
and attended to the duties of that office 4n the western part of Boise county in
connection with the mining enterprises in which he was engaged. In 1878 he
removed to Idaho City and since that time has practiced law exclusive of other
business. He has been interested in a great many mining enterprises in Idaho
and other western states and has also been interested in several townsites and
additions to townsites and various other business activities in which he has
made financial investment, but the practice of law has been his real life work.
He was one of the promoters, became a member of the board of directors and
the vice president of the Bank of Commerce of Burley, Idaho, so continuing in
1909 and 1910. He was chosen president of the Beet Growers Sugar Company of
Rigby, Idaho, and has been connected with several other matters quasi-public
in character.

In addition to the usual experiences of pioneers in the Indian fighting of
early days in Idaho, Governor Hawley was second lieutenant of a mounted com-
pany in the service of the state, organized in the Nez Perce war, but was not
actually engaged in the hostilities. He was also commander of a company in the
Bannock war but saw very little actual service.



4 HISTORY OF IDAHO

In politics Governor Hawley has always been a supporter of the democratic
party. He made his first campaign for the party in 1870 and has been active in
every political campaign in Idaho since that time, stumping the state on each
occasion save in 1918, when there was no speaking campaign on account of in-
fluenza. Also on that occasion he refused to support the major part of the
democratic state ticket because it was nominated by the Non-Partisan League fol-
lowers who had taken possession of the party. He has been elected to attend five
national conventions of the democratic party and has attended all congressional
and state conventions of the party since 1870. He was elected a member of the
lower house of the Idaho legislature in 1870 and in 1872' served as chief clerk
in the house of representatives. In 1874 he was a member of the state senate
and in 1876 was made chief clerk of the upper house. In the same year he was
elected county commissioner of Boise county and in 1878 was elected district
attorney of the second judicial district of Idaho, being reelected to that position
in 1880, and was compelled to attend to most of the criminal work of the territory.
In 1884 he was a candidate for delegate to congress on the democratic ticket but
was defeated by one vote at the convention. In 1885 he was United States dis-
trict attorney for the district of Idaho and occupied that position for four years.
In 1889 he was the democratic candidate for delegate to congress but was de-
feated by a few votes by the Hon. Fred L. Dubois. In 1902 his fellow townsrnen
elected him mayor of Boise, in which position he served for two years, and in
1910 he was elected governor of Idaho, filling the office of chief executive of the
state for two years. In 1912 he was defeated for a second term as governor by
less than one thousand votes by the Hon. John M. Haines. He was several times
selected as candidate for the United States senate by the democrats in the legis-
lature and in 1914 was democratic candidate before the people for the United
States senate, being defeated by J. H. Brady. Since leaving the office of governor
he has occupied no public position save in connection with the war activities.
He had charge of the first Red Cross drive in Idaho and was state director of
War Savings Stamps drives and engaged in several other matters of that kind.
Upon the conclusion of his term as governor he again resumed the private practice
of his profession, in 'which he is actively engaged as a member of the firm of
Hawley & Hawley, having an extensive clientage throughout southern Idaho. He
was selected by the state authorities in 1906 to manage in behalf of the state the
prosecution growing out of the assassination of Governor Steunenberg, his chief
associate in these cases being the present Senator Borah. For the past forty years
he has been connected with nearly all the important water litigation in Idaho and
has done much to formulate and settle the law on this important subject. In this
matter, as upon other subjects to which his attention has been directed in the
courts, he has sought not only to win the case being tried but also to better con-
ditions in the future. Since his admission to practice he has always occupied a
commanding position at the bar and has twice been president of the State Bar
Association of Idaho.

On the 4th of July, 1875, at Quartzburg, Boise county, Idaho, Governor
Hawley was united in marriage to Miss Mary E. Bullock, a daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. William Bullock, who were pioneers of Idaho, arriving in Boise county in
the early '60s and residing there throughout the period of early development in
the state. Mrs. Hawley was born in New York city, and passed away in Boise
in 1916. At the time of their marriage they took up their resjdence at Quartzburg
but in 1878 removed to Idaho City, then the county seat, following Governor
Hawley's election as district attorney for the second district. In 1884 a further
removal was made to Hailey and from that city to Boise in 1886. Mrs. Hawley
was a member of the Catholic church and their children were reared in that faith
and are now communicants of that church. The eldest son, Edgar T. Hawley,
married Jessie Williams, of Spokane. Jess B., who is now practicing law in part-
nership with his father, married Genevieve Smith, of Boise. Emma C. became
the wife of Reilley Atkinson, of Boise. Elizabeth is the wife of E. W. Tucker, of
Boise.~ James H., Jr., married Miss Mary Dunn, of Portland, Oregon. Harry R.,
the youngest of the family, is now a student in the George Washington University
at Washington, D. C. The other children are all residents of Boise. Governor
Hawley now has eight living grandchildren, four being the children of Mr. and
Mrs. Jess B. Hawley, three the children of Mr. and Mrs. Atkinson, while Mr. and
Mrs. Tucker have one child. That patriotism has ever been a marked character-



HISTORY OF IDAHO 5



istic of the family is indicated in the fact that the eldest son, Edgar T. Hawley,
served in the Philippines during the Spanish-American war as lieutenant of the
First Idaho Regiment and became a captain in the aviation service of the World
war. The second son, Jess B. Hawley, was prominently Identified with the war
work in Idaho and the third son, James H., Jr., was a first lieutenant of infantry
in the conflict with Germany, while the youngest son, Harry R. Hawley, was a
sergeant in the field hospital service. The sons had an inspiring example in the
record of their father, whose patriotism and Icyal support of the country was
manifested not only in the early days of Indian fighting but throughout his entire
career in his unfaltering support of all those interests which have had to do with
the welfare of the commonwealth.

Governor Hawley is a well known representative of the Independent Order
of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias, the Fraternal Order of Eagles and the
Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. He was exalted ruler of Boise Lodge,
No. 310, B. P. O. K . in 1902 and 1903 and has taken a prominent part in the
work of the organization since that time. He is also a past grand of the Odd
Fellows lodge and has membership in the University, Country, Commercial and
Boise Rotary Clubs of Boise and in the Rocky Mountain Club of New York city.
By reason of his long connection with the state, his active participation in the
public life of Idaho and in many of the most important business enterprises of the state
for many years, Governor Alexander when called upon by the managers of the great
San Francisco Exposition to name the foremost citizen of Idaho, unhesitatingly selected
Governor Hawley for that honor.



VERY REV. ALWARD CHAMBERLAINS.

The Very Rev. Alward Chamberlaine, dean of St. Michael's Cathedral in Boise,
was born in Maryland, December 17, 1870, a son of Henry and Henrietta Maria (White)
Chamberlaine. After the death of his father he entered into business life at an early
age and later began the study of civil engineering. At the age of twenty-five Mr.
Chamberlaine made an extensive trip to Europe and spent many mouths in travel and
study. He had always been interested in religious affairs, having served as choir boy
at old St. Paul's church in Baltimore and later as lay reader in the parish and super-
intendent of the Sunday school. It was his work along these lines which directed
his mind to the ministry and led him ultimately to give his life entirely to the service
of the church. He- became a postulant under Rev. Dr. J. S. B. Hodges, rector of St.
Paul's in Baltimore, and was enrolled a candidate for holy orders by the Rt. Rev. Wil-
liam Paret, bishop of Maryland. Mr. Chamberlaine entered the Virginia Theological
Seminary at Alexandria and in 1903 came to Idaho as missionary of the Episcopal
church and was located by Bishop Funsten at Montpelier, with missions at various
other places in Idaho and southwestern Wyoming.

On the 1st of July. 1905, Mr. Chamberlaine married Miss South Williams, of Mary-
land, and brought her to Idaho as his bride. On June 3, 1906, he was ordained deacon
in St." Michael's Cathedral of Boise, and on March 15, 1908, was ordained priest in
St. Paul's church, Blackfoot, Idaho. While rector of St. Paul's in Blackfoot, Rey.
Chamberlaine also hod charge of the Episcopal Indian Mission School at Fort Hall,
St. James church in St. Anthony, Ascension church at Twin Falls and other points.

In 1908 the bishop placed Rev. Chamberlaine as rector of the growing work in
Twin Falls and surrounding towns. Here he remained for two years, improving the
property, building up the strength of the parish and acquiring further gains. In the
summer of 1910 he received an urgent call from Holy Trinity parish of Wallace, Idaho.
After a visit to that city he decided to accept the call. He began his ministry at Wal-
lace in November, 1910, and extended it to all the surrounding points in the Coeur
d'Alenes. A fine, new church at Wallace was built to supplant the old one established
twenty years before, the work at Wardner was revived, the parish of Emmanuel was
organized at Kellogg and a beautiful frame church erected, and the work at Mullan
and Murray was strengthened.

In March, 1914, Rev. Chamberlaine was appointed archdeacon of Boise, with super-
vision of all the missions in southwestern Idaho, which position he held until he was
called to be dean of St. Michael's Cathedral.

At the seventh annual convocation in April, 1914, Archdeacon Chamberlaine was



6 HISTORY OF IDAHO

elected secretary of the district of Idaho and reelected each year until 1918, when he
declined further election. He served on all the important committees, such as finance,
missionary, state of the church, Sunday school, etc., and was chairman of most of
them. In 1916 he became president of the Council of Advice, which position he still
holds. In October, 1915 r he was elected dean of St. Michael's Cathedral and experienced
the joy of raising all debt upon that historic structure and assisting Bishop Funsten
and Bishop Tuttle in the service of consecration on the 15th of September, 1918. At
the convocation of 1918 the bishop appointed him to the position of examining chaplain
for the district of Idaho.

Dean Chamberlaine has represented the church in Idaho at several meetings of
the provincial synod and as alternate and deputy at the general convention. He is
the author of the Canons of the District of Idaho, A Catechism of Church History,
Sermons, and Addresses.

Dean Chamberlaine was president of the Ministerial Association of Boise during
the year 1917-1918; was a member of the executive committee of the Idaho food ad-
ministration during the war with Germany, and served on all the Liberty Loan drives.
He has recently been appointed president of the Idaho committee of the nation-wide
survey and campaign organized by the Episcopal church.



TIMOTHY REGAN.

In the historic canvas painted by the hand of time the harsher lines of the past
are softened, the hardships and privations are in a degree blotted out and events
and incidents blend into a harmonious whole, creating the annals of a community
or the record of an individual. The historian writes of the picturesque pioneer days,
but one who has lived through the period of early development and progress knows
that back of the steady advancement resulting in successful accomplishment there
were days of most earnest and unremitting toil when the individual was denied the
comforts and conveniences of the older east and had to summon all his resolution
and courage to meet existing conditions. Through this period passed Timothy Regan,
and starting upon his career in the northwest empty handed, he through the inherent
force of his character, his indomitable energy, his unfaltering perseverance and his
keen sagacity reached a place ambng Boise's wealthiest, most prominent and influ-
ential men. The story of what he accomplished should serve to inspire and encour-
age others, showing what may be done through individual effort. He reached an hon-
ored old age, passing away October 7, 1919.

Timothy Regan was born near Rochester, New York, on the 14th of November.
1843, a son of Morgan and Mary (Burke) Regan, natives of Ireland, the former having
been born in Cork and the latter in Dublin. The two eldest of their family of ten chil-
dren, Helen and Mary, were born in Ireland prior to the year 1831, when the parents
emigrated with their little family to the United States. The elder daughter, now Mrs.
Helen Partridge, is still living at the advanced age of ninety-two years and makes
her home in Waukegan, Illinois. Eight children were added to the family circle
after the arrival in the United States and three of these are still living, namely: Mrs v
Katharine Edwards, of Seattle; Mathias J., of Milwaukee, Wisconsin; and Mrs. Nona
Lauderdale, of Tacoma, Washington. The parents lived for a time in Maine but after-
ward removed to New York and thence to Chicago, from which point they made their
way to a farm in Wisconsin. There the father passed away in 1878, while the mother
survived until 1897. They were consistent members of the Catholic church and people
of the highest respectability.

Amid the environment of the Wisconsin farm Timothy Regan was reared, attend-
ing the district schools, at which time the curriculum was most limited, and spending
the summer months in the work of the fields. He started out independently when a
youth of nineteen and, determining to try his fortune in the west, he sailed from New
York In 1864 with California as his destination. He traveled by the Isthmus route,
reaching Aspinwall, now Colon, whence he crossed Panama by rail and thence pro-
ceeded by steamer to San Francisco. He then went up the river by steamer to Sac-
ramento, traveled by rail to Folsom over the only railroad line in California and by
stage proceeded to Hangtown, now Placerville. From that point he walked to Virginia
City, Nevada, and on to Dun Glen, where he spent six weeks and then started with a
wagon train of ox teams, loaded with flour, fruit and salt, for the mines of Owyhee




TIMOTHY REGAN



HISTORY OF IDAHO 9

county, Idaho. Mr. Regan walked all the way, accompanied by four or five members
of Price's army. Each night they had to stand guard owing to possible attacks from
the Piute or the Bannock Indians. On one occasion they had to march all night in
order to get away from the red men. On arriving at Jordan Valley, Oregon, in early
November of 1864. they felt that danger was over and all of the party went to bed
to enjoy a good night's rest. Before morning dawned, however, the Indians had stolen
their entire bunch of cattle, which they never recovered.

The following morning Mr. Regan started to walk to Silver City. A soft snow l;iy
upon the ground, making progress difficult. At length he reached Wagontown, which
contained but one shack, the lone occupant of which was a jack that had been left
there because it could go no further through the snow. Mr. Regan felt unable to travel
a greater distance that day and there camped for the night, going to bed without
supper. At dawn the next morning he set out for Booneville, where he arrived in
the afternoon. In speaking of this trip he said he always recalled the plaintive call
of distress of the jack as it echoed through the canyon when he proceeded on his way.
A two dollar and a half gold piece constituted his entire capital when he reached
Booneville, rendering immediate employment a necessity, and he began chopping wood
on War Eagle mountain, receiving six dollars per day for his work, the wood being
furnished to the Oro Fino mine. From that period forward Mr. Regan was for many
years actively connected with the mining interests of the state. He accepted the work
of timbering the Oro Fino mine, and when that mine became insolvent in the fall of
1866, its owners were indebted to Mr. Regan in the sum of nearly twenty-five hundred
dollars, no cent of which he ever collected. Civilization in the northwest was somewhat
chaotic in those days, as in the absence of courts cud lawyers men took affairs into
their own hands and more than one fight was staged in the mining districts.
In one of these a cannon was used that is now doing duty as a historical relic in
Silver City, where it is known as "Old Grover." Mr. Regan was employed for some
time in the Poorman mine and when it was closed down in fall of 1866 he joined
with five others in organizing a wood chopping outfit, being employed in that con-
nection during the succeeding winter. In the winter of 1868 he was in Salt Lake
City and with the discovery of the Ida Elmore mine at Silver City he resumed his
activities in the mining region. By the fall of that year, however, he decided that he
wished to engage in business on his own account and entered into partnership with
John Callon in hauling quartz and lumber for the mines. They also operated a
sawmill, whipsawing the lumber, which sold for three hundred and seventy-five
dollars per thousand, and the two men could easily saw two hundred feet a day.
Mr. Regan also engaged in teaming, being thus employed until 1875, when he pur-
chased a half interest in the Idaho Hotel at Silver City, becoming a partner of Hosea
Eastman, whose interest in the business he bought in 1877. remaining as the popular
proprietor of that hotel until 1889. In the meantime events were shaping themselves
in connection with the mining developments of the northwest that brought Mr. Regan
again into active connection with mining interests. In 1875 the failure of the Bank
of California caused heavy losses to the miners of Silver City and vicinity, and with
the adjustment of the claims of the creditors the Oro Fino finally came into possession
of Mr. Regan. Careful management and wise investment at length made him the
owner of the Ida Elmore, the Golden Chariot, the Minnesota, the South Chariot and
the Mahogany mines, which he afterward sold to a Philadelphia company, and he
also had a two-fifths interest in the Stoddard mine, which eventually he sold to the
Delamar company for eighty-seven thousand five hundred dollars. He held valuable
mining interests in Owyhee county, while his business interests at Boise were exten-
sive and important. He was the president of the Boise Artesian Hot & Cold Water
Company and the treasurer and general manager of the Overland Company, Limited.
He was likewise a large stockholder in the Boise City National Bank and was one
of the officers and stockholders of the Weiser Land & Improvement Company. In
all these connections he displayed sound business judgment that made his coopera-
tion of the utmost value in the successful management of the corporations indicated.

In 1878 Mr. Regan was married to Miss Rose Blackinger, a native of Buffalo,
New York, who came with her parents by wagon t across the plains in 1862, living
for a time in Oregon and then removing to Ruby Cfty, Idaho, where she formed the
acquaintance of Mr. Regan, who sought her hand in marriage. They became the
parents of four children: Lily and Harold, deceased; William V., a prominent busi-
ness man of Boise; and Lieutenant John M. Regan, who gave his life in the cause



10 HISTORY OF IDAHO

of world democracy in the recent great European war and who is mentioned at
length elsewhere in this work. The Regan home, a palatial residence built in colonial
style, is one of the finest in Boise. It is finished throughout in hardwood and is
surrounded by a broad lawn adorned with beautiful flowers and stately trees.

One of the local papers, writing of Mr. Regan, said: "Timothy Regan is the
ripe flower and fruitage of Idaho pioneer days. He is one of the Argonauts who
have blazed the trails and helped lay here the foundations of an empire. Simple as
a child in his tastes, easily approached, bearing his honors and the prestige his well
earned wealth give him, meekly, a firm and unfailing friend, a generous but vigilant
enemy, in charities abundant, he passes down the golden slope towards the sunset,
and when, at last, he goes over the 'Great Divide,' he will leave behind the memory
of a life well and nobly lived and his name will be carved high on the marble shaft
of Idaho's heroic pioneers."

A little time after those words were written, on the 7th of October, 1919, Timothy
Regan passed away, having reached the age of seventy-five years, his death undoubt-
edly being hastened through the deep grief which he felt over the death of his
son on one of the battlefields of Europe. When the final summons came there were
hundreds who paid tribute to his memory, commenting on the integrity of his char-



Online LibraryJames H. HawleyHistory of Idaho : the gem of the mountains (Volume 2) → online text (page 1 of 123)