as a stone mason, after which he went to Finney county, Kansas, where he worked
as a stone mason for two years. On the expiration of that period he removed to
Pueblo, Colorado, where he again engaged in stone work and in bridge building
In 1896 he made his way to Cripple Creek and devoted two years to
mining, returning then to Pueblo, where he was married. He then took up the
bridge contracting business, which he followed on his own account until 1900, when
he removed to Montana, where he was instrumental in building a bridge across the
Yellowstone river at Glendive. After a year and a half spent in Montana he came
to Idaho, making his way first to Boise, where he once more engaged in bridge
building, and secured the contract for the construction of a bridge across the Boise
river at Eagle island. In the spring of 1903 he went to Emmett, Idaho, and built
the canyon canal dam and headgates. He also built the electric light plant at
Emmett, which he operated for a year and a half, and then disposed of his interests
there, removing to Caldwell, where he took up the general contracting business, with
bridge building as a specialty. One of the large contracts awarded him was the
building of the Emmett waterworks, which is a model of completeness. The work
was done in four months, and he built in two months the waterworks at Parma. He
obtained his first practical experience in structural engineering as an employe of a
well known bridge building concern doing construction work on the Cincinnati
Southern Railroad, and later he was with the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
His experiences have constantly broadened his knowledge and promoted his effi-
ciency, and he is recognized as one of the able contractors on construction work
and engineering projects in this section of the state. In 1918 he organized the
Caldwell Transfer Company, of which he is sole proprietor, but he regards this as a
sideline to his construction work, although his modern equipment and enterprising
business methods will undoubtedly make this one of Caldwell's big business un-
508 HISTORY OF IDAHO
It was at Pueblo, on the 28th of October, 1898, that Mr. Forbes was united in
marriage to Miss Ida May Pollock. Fraternally Mr. Forbes is a Mason and a mem-
ber of the Woodmen of the World, and his wife is a member of the Methodist
church. He has served as a member of the city council of Caldwell for one term
but is not ambitious to hold office. He finds pleasure in the outdoor life necessitated
by his work, and in his business has experienced the keen joy of success.
MRS. ETHEL TONKIN CLARK.
It was the great World's war that brought enfranchisement to the women
of Europe, but various American states occupy a position in the vanguard in this
particular. Idaho was among the number which some years ago gave the franchise
to the women of the state and has recognized their ability in calling a number of
them to public office. Mrs. Ethel T. Clark is now the efficient county treasurer of
Ada county, to which position she was elected in the fall of 1918, assuming the duties
of the office on the 13th of January following. Mrs. Clark is one of the native
daughters of Boise, where she has practically spent her entire life. Her father
was the late John Tonkin, a mining man of English birth, and her mother, Mrs.
Sarah (Thomas) Tonkin, is also a native of England. The latter survives and yet
makes her home in Boise.
Mrs. Clark was the only daughter in a family of three children. She was reared
in the capital city and at the usual age became a pupil in its public schools, passing
through consecutive grades and eventually becoming a student in the Boise Busi-
ness College. She has occupied positions in the business world as an accountant,
stenographer and bookkeeper in Boise, her ability and efficiency increasing with
her broadening experience, and at length she was elected to the office of county
treasurer. For five years she was in the employ of the McCrum & Deary Drug
Company of Boise as bookkeeper and afterward occupied a similar position in the
Owyhee Pharmacy for more than a year.
Mrs. Clark was married in 1906. She has a little daughter, Margaret, twelve
years of age, now a pupil in the Boise public schools. In religious faith Mrs. Clark
is a Methodist, and her political support is given to the republican party. When
elected to her present office she was accorded a splendid majority of over two
thousand, and she enjoys the distinction of being the youngest incumbent who has
ever held the office of county treasurer in Ada county.
LEM A. YORK.
Lem A. York, president and manager of the Syms-York Company, Incorporated,
of Bo'ise, was born in Lewiston, Maine, March 13, 1866, a son of Jerome and Martha
(Read) York, who were also natives of the Pine Tree state and representatives of
old New England families. The York family comes of Scotch ancestry, while the
Reads are of English lineage. The father was a stationary engineer and thus pro-
vided for the support of members of his household.
Lem A. York was a little lad of but five summers when his parents removed
from Maine to Concord, New Hampshire, and at twelve years of age he accompanied
them to Michigan. Through the succeeding four years he lived in Evart, Michigan,
and at the age of fifteen he left school to learn the printer's trade in the office of
the Evart Review. When seventeen years of age he made his way to Colorado, set-
tling at Telluride, where he worked at the printer's trade until 1884, when he went
to Edgeley, North Dakota, his parents having become residents of that locality,
making their home upon a ranch near the town. In North Dakota, Mr. York en-
gaged in farming and also worked at his trade at intervals until 1889. He then
returned to Telluride, Colorado, and resumed his old position. He afterward went
to Salt Lake City, where he was employed on the Salt Lake Tribune, and in 1890
he came to Idaho, settling at Silver City. There he was employed as a printer on
the Owyhee Avalanche for a time and afterward leased that paper and later pur-
chased it. This is one of the oldest newspapers of Idaho, having been established on
the 15th of August, 1865. Mr. York continued as the owner and publisher of the
HISTORY OF IDAHO 509
paper until 1902, when he sold it and removed to Weiser, Idaho, where he bought
the Weiser American, with which paper he was connected until 1905, when he
came to Boise and was one of the founders of the present Syms-York Company,
which was incorporated in 1909, with H. J. Syms as president and Mr. York as
secretary, treasurer and superintendent. This is one of the best and largest printing
plants in the northwest and is by far the biggest in Idaho. It occupies all of the
main floor and basement of the splendid new Elks Temple in Boise at the corner
of Ninth and Jefferson streets. The Syms-York Company, Incorporated, of Boise is
today one of the solid and substantial and also one of the widely known concerns
of Idaho. On the 1st of January, 1920, Mr. Syms disposed of his interest in the
firm and Mr. York became president, taking active charge of the business.
At Weiser, on the 19th of September, 1893, Mr. York was married to Miss
Catherine Brady, of Weiser, who was born in Wisconsin but has lived in Idaho
since early childhood. They have become parents of six children, two sons and four
daughters, namely: Ralph W., who was educated in Leland Stanford University
and in the University of Idaho, and is now a director and secretary of the Syms-
York Company; Ruth A., who was graduated from the University of Idaho in June,
1919, and married Adna M. Boyd, of Portland, Oregon; Lorna E., a sophomore in
that institution; Walter R., who was graduated from the Boise high school in June,
1919; and Catherine A. and Jean M., who are public school students.
Mr. York finds his chief recreation in camping and when leisure permits greatly
enjoys a period spent in the open. He belongs to the Boise Country Club, the Boise
Rotary Club and the Boise Commercial Club. He is a member of the Masonic order,
also an Elk and an Odd Fellow, belonging to both the subordinate lodge and en-
campment, and is a past grand in the organization. His political endorsement is
given to the republican party. He is affiliated with Boise's various civic and com-
mercial interests and with the club life of the city and is an active and progressive
business man who at the same time cooperates heartily in all plans and movements
for the general benefit and upbuilding of the capital and of the state.
JAMES MONROE JACKSON.
James Monroe Jackson, the president of the Meridian Hardware & Imple-
ment Company, was born May 18, 1857, in Sullivan county, Missouri, and is a son
of Andrew G. and Sarah (Frances) Jackson. The father was born in Ohio in 1823
and the mother was born in Iowa, in which state their marriage was celebrated.
On leaving the Buckeye state Andrew G. Jackson removed to Iowa and afterward
went to Missouri, where he lived for a number of years, being there successfully
engaged in farming and stock raising. For a time he lived in Kansas and there
his wife passed away in 1876, when forty-five years of age. The death of Mr.
Jackson occurred in the state of Washington in 1909, when he was eighty-six
years of age.
James M. Jackson was the eldest in a family of seven children and in his youth-
ful days he pursued his education in the public schools of his native county. He
then went to Kansas with his parents and for six years was employed at farm
labor in that state. In 1876 he removed to Colorado and became identified with
the agricultural interests of that section, there remaining until 1889, when he
removed to the northern part of Idaho, first settling in Nez Perce county on Pot-
latch prairie. There he resided for three years, or until 1892, when he removed
to a farm near Meridian and for fifteen years gave his attention to agricultural
pursuits. On removing to the Boise valley he began experimenting with various fruits
and in 1891 cultivated and shipped the first prunes from the state, thus initiating
what has in the course of years come to be one of the important industries of the
state. His proof of what could be done in this connection has been of the greatest
value to Idaho, as lands which were formerly regarded as largely worthless have
been devoted to the production of fruit and such property is today worth more than
four times the price at which it could have been originally bought. Upon his
removal to the Boise valley Mr. Jackson took up general farming and was so en-
gaged until 1907, when he disposed of his farming interests and became one of
the owners of the business conducted under the name of the Meridian Hardware &
Implement Company. The concern was then a small one, but he recognized the
510 HISTORY OF IDAHO
possibilities of the district and became an active factor in the development and
upbuilding of the business, which, under the wise guidance of himself and his
associates, has become one of the important commercial interests or this locality.
At the head of the enterprise have been most capable business men, Mr. Jackson
being now the president of the company, with J. L. Waggoner as the secretary and
general manager. Retaining some of his farming interests, Mr. Jackson has re-
cently disposed of an eighty acre farm in the vicinity of Meridian for twenty thou-
At Canyon City, Colorado, February 14, 1882, Mr. Jackson was united in
marriage to Miss Delia Price Gibson, who was born near St. Joseph, Missouri, Octo-
ber 24, 1863, and was given the middle name of Price in honor of General Sterling
Price of the Confederate army. She is a daughter of James Russell Gibson, who
was a Confederate veteran. The only child of Mr. and Mrs. Jackson died in infancy.
Fraternally Mr. Jackson is an Odd Fellow and has passed all of the chairs in
the local lodge. His political support is given to the democratic party and he keeps
well informed on the questions and issues of the day but does not seek nor desire
political office. He and his wife are consistent members of the Christian church
and they occupy an enviable position in social circles of the city, the number of their
friends being almost equal to that of their acquaintances. Throughout his entire
life Mr. Jackson has been known as a most upright man, a loyal citizen and a pro-
gressive merchant. His activities along horticultural, agricultural and commercial
lines have all contributed to the development and upbuilding of the state and he
well deserves mention among Idaho's representative residents.
REV. NICHOLAS PHILIP HAHN.
Rev. Nicholas Philip Hahn, pastor of St. John's Roman Catholic church in Boise,
was born at Maryville, Missouri, September 26, 1878. His father, Nicholas Hahn,
served throughout the Civil war as a member of Company C, Ninth Wisconsin Volun-
teer Infantry. He was a contractor and builder by occupation and he passed away
in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1906. The mother was prior to her marriage Miss Helena
Kohns. Rev. Hahn of this review was one of a family of five children, two of whom
have passed away, while a brother and a sister reside in Portland, Oregon.
The early life of Rev. Hahn was spent chiefly in the state of Wisconsin, in Denver,
Colorado, and in Portland, Oregon. He pursued a classical course in Mount Angel
College, Oregon, completing his studies there in 1898. He afterward became a teacher
in that institution, giving instruction in English and Latin there for four years. Sub-
sequently he pursued a philosophical course in the Catholic University of Washington,
D. C.. and next entered the Grand Seminary of Montreal, Canada, where he pursued
his theological studies for two years. Later he was ordained to the priesthood in
Menlo Park, California, and in 1911 he came to Idaho, where for two years he was
pastor of St. Mary's church at Genesee. He next served as pastor of St. Edward's
church at Twin Falls, Idaho, for a period of six years and was transferred from that
parish to St. John's Catholic church in Boise in March, 1919.
Rev. Hahn is connected with the Knights of Columbus and served as chaplain of
the Knights of Columbus council at Twin Falls during his pastorate there. He is now
in the full vigor of manhood, zealous and earnest in support of the cause for which
he labors, his efforts proving highly resultant in the upbuilding of the Catholic church
in this section of the country.
WILLIAM T. JACK.
William T. Jack, of Oakley, president of the Cassia stake of the Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, November 1,
1857, and is a son of Thomas and Mary Ann (Dunlap) Jack, the former a native
of Scotland, while the latter was born in Ireland. In young manhood the father
worked in the weaving mills of Scotland and afterward served with the Ninety-
second Highlanders for twelve and a half years. In 1854 he volunteered for service
in the Crimean war and was on active duty on the Mediterranean. He joined the
REV. NICHOLAS P. HAHN
HISTORY OF IDAHO 513
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints while on the rock of Qibraltar. After
receiving his discharge from the army he returned to Scotland, where he was again
identified with weaving, but saved his money in order to come to the United States,
it being his desire to Join the' people of his faith in Utah. He was married in Scot-
land in 1843 and came to Utah in 1857, crossing the plains with one of the hand-
cart compatfies. He located at Salt Lake City and followed farming there, while
in the fall of the year he engaged in the manufacture of syrup. He continued a
resident of that locality until his death, which occurred in 1907, when he had
reached the age of eighty years. The mother died at the age of seventy. She,
too, was a follower of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
William T. Jack spent his boyhood days in Salt Lake City and was educated
in the public schools under Carl G. Measer. Later he followed farming, freighting
and logging and afterward turned his attention to merchandising, in which he was
engaged for nineteen years. He also spent five years in the mission field of the
central states, serving as president for three years. On the 14th of May, 1900, he
came to Oakley, Idaho, having been chosen as president of Cassia stake, comprising
seven wards and extending from Carey, Idaho, to Grouse Creek, Utah, on the south.
This territory has since developed, so that at the present time it includes five stakes,
with approximately thirty-five wards, and ten thriving branches of the church. Mr.
Jack has most wisely and carefully directed the interests of the stake and is one of
the prominent representatives of the church in Cassia county and Idaho.
He has also been an active factor in the business life of the community and
has contributed much to its material as well as to its moral development. He was
the president and general manager of the Hurley Town Site Company for ten years
following the organization and early development of the town. He also engaged
in merchandising at Oakley from 1904 until 1907 and took over the People's Union
Mercantile Company of that place, which was in debt. He placed the business upon
a paying basis, thoroughly reorganizing and systematizing its interests, and finally
returned it to the People's Union Mercantile Company a prosperous concern.
In 1877 Mr. Jack was married to Miss Ellen Naylor, a daughter of Thomas and
Alice (Button) Naylor. She passed away in 1887, when thirty years of age, leaving
one child, Arthur W., who died in 1913, at the age of twenty-six years. Mr. Jack
was again married in 1887, when Miss Jubertine Iverson became his wife. She is
a native of Washington, Utah, and a daughter of H. P. and Anna D. (Nisson)
Iverson. Mr. and Mrs. Jack have become the parents of five children: Kimball I.,
Ella D.. Mary R., Lorenzo T. and Calvin O.
In his political views Mr. Jack is a republican but has been so active in a busi-
ness way and in the work of the church that he has never sought nor desired polit-
ical preferment. He is keenly interested in all that has to do with progressive cit-
izenship, however, and his aid and influence are always on the side of advancement
and improvement. His entire life has been passed in the west and he is actuated by
the enterprising spirit which has been the dominant factor in the development of
this section of the country.
REV. BERNARDO ARREGUI.
Rev. Bernardo Arregui, pastor of the Church of the Good Shepherd, located at
the corner of Fifth and Idaho streets in Boise, has been a resident of this city since
1911, coming to Boise directly from Spain in order to serve several Spanish Catholic
congregations in Idaho, or in fact to serve all of the churches in Idaho among the
Spanish people or 'the Basques. During the past eight years he has been pastor
of the Spanish or Basque branch of St. John's Cathedral in Boise and has served the
Spanish Catholics at NSmpa, Mountain Home, Gooding, Shoshone, Hailey and other
Idaho points. He enjoys the distinction of being the only Spanish Catholic priest
!n all of the state.
Rev. Arregui was born in Spain, July 23, 1866, the son of a farmer. He was
reared and educated in his native country, being graduated from the seminary at
Vitoria, Spain, in 1889. He was at once ordained to the priesthood and became
pastor of St. Michael's church in Irura, province of Guibuzcoa, Spain, where he served
his people for twenty-one years, taking charge there on the 14th of February, 1890,
and resigning the position in June, 1911, in order to come to the United States for
514 HISTORY OF IDAHO
the purpose of taking up the work among the Spanish Catholics of Idaho. Many
of the people speak what is known as the Basque language. It is a prehistoric tongue
used largely by the people on both sides of the Pyrenees which divide France and
Spain. The need of these people for religious instruction led to Father Arregui's leav-
ing his native country to come to Idaho and take up the work at the urgent request
of the late Bishop Glorieux of this state. Father Arregui has done most important
work among the people of this region in establishing a new Catholic parish in Boise,
which is intended to serve the Spanish Catholics of the city and vicinity. On the
2cl of March, 1919, he had the pleasure of seeing his work reach a happy culmina-
tion when the new Church of the Good Shepherd at the corner of Fifth and Idaho
streets was dedicated the only Spanish Catholic church property and parish in
all the state. The occasion was a most memorable one, the bishop and many church
dignitaries being in attendance, Bishop Gorman preaching a most impressive sermon.
Adjacent to the church and fronting on Idaho street is also a substantial and com-
fortable parish house, which is occupied by Father Arregui. The furnishings and
equipment of both the church and parish house are new and of exceedingly hand-
some design^ Both buildings are of brick construction, built upon an attractive
plan, and the church edifice constitutes a beautiful addition to the houses of worship
in Boise. Father Arregui becomes the first pastor of the Church of the Good Shep-
herd. He has made an enviable name for himself by reason of his labors since
coming to this city and he is now ministering to the spiritual needs of one hundred
and three families in the capital and vicinity. Father Arregui was appointed Span-
ish vice consul for Idaho and Montana February 28, 1916, by Count Romances, then
secretary of state in Spain.
WALTER M. CAMPBELL.
Walter M. Campbell, forest supervisor residing at Burley, was born in Eugene,
Oregon, July 2, 1876, and is a son of William O. and Clara L. (Little) Campbell. The
father was born in the Mohawk valley of New York and the mother in Hartford,
Connecticut. The former was a master carpenter in the east and in 1861 put aside
all business and personal considerations in order to join the Union army, becoming a
member of the First Connecticut Heavy Artillery, with which he served for four years
and five months. He participated in the battles of Yorktown, Petersburg, Gettysburg
and others and also took part in the Grand Review in Washington, D. C., where the
victorious army marched down the broad Pennsylvania avenue, over which was
suspended a banner bearing the words: "The only debt which our country owes
that she cannot pay is the debt which she owes to her soldiers." When the war was
over he returned to Connecticut and later removed westward to Chicago and to
Evanston, Illinois, where he engaged in carpentering. It was in Evanston, in 1867,
that he was married and later he removed to San Francisco, California. From that
place he made his way to Eugene, Oregon, in 1873 and there again engaged in
carpentering. In 1877 he established his home at Kamiah, Idaho, and afterward
removed to Moscow, where he resided until July, 1882, having charge of the Indian
schools there. He later took up the occupation of farming and ranching and in
1893 removed to Boise, where he was made custodian of the state capitol, filling that
position until January, 1898. He also served as justice of the peace for a number
of years and made an excellent record in office, his decisions being at all times
strictly fair and impartial. He passed away in June, 1916, at the age of eighty-
five years and the mother is still living at the age of seventy-seven years. In his
political views Mr. Campbell was a republican, fraternally was connected with the
Masons and his religious faith was indicated by his membership in the Congrega-
tional church. He led a life of great usefulness and activity and in every relation
was as true and loyal to his country as when he followed the nation's starry banner
on the battlefields of the south.
Walter M. Campbell was still in his infancy when his parents removed to Idaho,
settling first at Kamiah and afterward establishing their home at Moscow. At the
age cf eighteen he became a resident of Boise. Previous to this time he had lived
among the Indians in a wild country, meeting all of the hardships, privations and
experiences of frontier life in a country devoted to stock raising. Following his
removal to Boise he availed himself of the opportunity to promote his education by
attending the high school of the city and later a business college. He afterward
HISTORY OF IDAHO 515
turned bis attention to mining and prospecting, to which he devoted three years.
Later he was in the Pacific Railroad service as clerk and agent and for three and a
half years was in the railway postoffice at Pendleton, Oregon, and at Weiser, Idaho.