who prepared for his professional career in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and in Cleve-
land, Ohio, and attained prominence as a representative of his chosen calling.
Milton J. Flohr was educated in the schools of his native city and in 1891 became
a resident of Wallace, where he worked in the mines until 1895, when he became
identified with banking as a clerk in the First National Bank. With the institution
he has since been associated and his increasing powers and business ability have led
to his advancement to the presidency.
In 1907 Mr. Flohr was married to Miss Mary Mansfield and they have two
children, Edward and Lois. Mrs. Flohr has been very active in women's club
circles of Wallace. Mr. Flohr is a member of the executive committee of the board
of trade. Fraternally he is a Mason and Elk and in the former organization has
taken the degrees of all the various branches, giving unfaltering allegiance to the
principles and purposes of the craft.
GEORGE F. JACKSON.
George F. Jackson, for years engaged in the cultivation and the buying and
selling of ranch lands, in which line of activity he has met with well merited success,
elseif (getClientWidth() > 430)
is now residing on a small but compact ranch of his own, two miles north oi
Meridian, Idaho. Previously he was a resident of Middleton, this state, and before
that lived on a ranch near Star. He came to Idaho in 1884 from a hop ranch in
Seattle, Washington, on which he had been living for one year.
Mr. Jackson is a Hoosier by birth, born in Owen county, Indiana, March 3, 1856,
a son of Samuel and Sarah (Laffoon) Jackson, also natives of Indiana and both now
deceased. Samuel Jackson, who served as a soldier in the Mexican and Civil wars,
moved his family from Indiana to Labette county, Kansas, in 1866, and there acquired
a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres, which he immediately proceeded to
improve and develop. On that place his wife passed away a few years later. Some
time after her death he returned to Indiana, where he married again, and he died
in Owen county, that state, a few years ago.
When George F. Jackson was nineteen years old he returned to Indiana from
Kansas and commenced work as a farm hand by the month in the vicinity or
Kentland. Two years later he removed to southern Illinois, where he worked on
a farm during one summer, and then went to Kansas, where he remained for a
time. In the spring of 1880 he came west to Wyoming, where he worked for two
years. He then made a trip back to Kansas, later going to New Mexico, and still
later to Iowa, whence he returned to Wyoming, all this time being spent on ranches.
In 1883 Mr. Jackson went to Seattle, Washington, and in the following year he
came to Idaho, first residing near Council on a squatter's claim, on which he lived
two years. He next spent several years in Salubria valley, Washington county,
Idaho, where he became the owner of one hundred and sixty acres of good ranch
HISTORY OF IDAHO 355
land, which he improved and later sold, then returning to the vicinity of Council,
where he bought a half section of land. He remained on this place for eight years,
at the end of that period coming to Boise valley, where he bought forty acres lying
six miles west of Boise, which he operated for five years. He paid five thousand
dollars for the forty acres and sold it for ten thousand dollars. His next step was
to purchase eighty acres near Star, on which he stayed eight years, at the end of
that time selling out. His next purchase was a ten acre ranch located in the town
limits of Middleton, Idaho, which he retained for two years, sold, and then bought
his present ranch near Meridian. He has purchased and sold several ranches in
Idaho, on each transaction making a substantial profit.
On November 10, 1890, in Salubria valley, Mr. Jackson was married to Florence
Vreeland, who was born in Wisconsin in September, 1866, a daughter of Enoch
and Eliza Vreeland, who had come to Idaho and settled in Salubria valley in 1879.
the daughter Florence being then thirteen years old. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson are the
parents of five children: Dell, who married Walter E. Neely, of Boise, and was
formerly a trained nurse, serving in France during the World war in that capacity;
Orville, who served in France and Germany for one year, attached to the United
States medical corps; Eldon, who served in the United States navy during the war;
and Hollie and Ellis.
Mr. Jackson gives his support to the democratic party. He has served as school
trustee and in other minor official positions. While engaged in the buying and
sale of ranch lands, he acquired a substantial competence and is now in a position
to retire from all active work, and this he contemplates doing in a short time.
SAMUEL D. BOONE.
Samuel D. Boone, deceased, was a prominent real estate dealer and representa-
tive business man of Hailey whose worth to the community was widely recognized,
so that his death was the occasion of deep and widespread regret. He was born at
Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, January 17, 1858, his parents being Samuel and Nancy
(Post) Boone. His boyhood days were passed in the Keystone state, where he
pursued his education and remained to the age of twenty-six years, supplementing
his early school training by study in the Wyoming College.
The year 1886 witnessed the arrival of Mr. Boone in Hailey, Idaho, at which
time he entered into partnership with Judge Lemmon in the real estate and insur-
ance business, in which he continued for a number of years. The firm was known
as Boone & John for a considerable period and later Mr. Boone engaged in the real
estate business alone, continuing active in that line and building up a clientage
of large and distinctively representative proportions. In 1911 he was joined by
his son, Frank S., in a partnership that was maintained until the death of the
father, which occurred in November, 1917, when he was fifty-nine years of age.
His labors in the field of real estate constituted a most important element in the
upbuilding of Hailey. He was instrumental in bringing to Hailey a large amount
of eastern capital, which was invested in property here and in adjacent farm lands
and irrigation projects.
Mr. Boone was also one of the organizers of the Commercial Club of Hailey
and was a member of the Board of Trade. He was connected with Charles Hern-
shem in locating the Fish Creek reservoir site and also in locating the Little Wood
River reservoir. He was likewise one of the promoters of the Magic Dam and
he organized the Idaho Irrigation Company. He succeeded in interesting Mr.
Hernshem of New York in the development of various important projects which
have contributed to the upbuilding of this section of the state. He located the
town of Richfle'd, which was later sold to J. G. White & Company, and subsequently
he returned to Hailey, where he took up his old business interests.
In 1889 Mr. Boone was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. Burke, a native
of Massachusetts, and they had one child, Frank S., who during the World war was
with the Thirteenth Infantry and who is now operating the business which was
left by his father.
Mr. Boone was a republican in his political views and was appointed by Governor
Gooding a member of the state insurance commission but would not qualify for
the office. Fraternally he was connected with the Knights of Pythias and the
356 HISTORY OF IDAHO
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He was actuated by a most progressive spirit,
displayed marked initiative in his business affairs and his energy and enterprise
proved a dynamic force in the development of his section of the state. His worth
was indeed widely recognized and all who knew him attested the value of his
service as a factor in public upbuilding.
ROY W. HEDGES.
The free life of the farm, with its immense opportunities for making a splendid
living and bringing up a family in comfort and healthy surroundings, has ever
appealed to Roy W. Hedges, a well-to-do rancher, residing three miles northeast of
Meridian, Idaho. He was born in Jefferson county, Nebraska, September 20, 1884,
a son of Clement and Eliza (Barnes) Hedges, both of whom now live at Long
Beach, California. He is one of a family of eight children five sons and three
daughters born to his parents. He spent his early life up to the age of seventeen
in his native county, where he acquired an education in the public schools and later
entered a business college at Lincoln, Nebraska, from which he emerged well
equipped with all the essentials of business training, which in later life proved of
considerable advantage to him. In 1901 the family came to Idaho and settled on
a farm near Meridian, and Mr. Hedges has lived either in or near that city, engaged
in farming, ever since. He has made considerable money during this period in the
sale of ranches, three of which he profitably disposed of, and is now the owner of
a well kept and well improved place of forty acres, northeast of that city, one-half
of the farm being a prune orchard. One of the recent ranch sales netted Mr.
Hedges over five thousand dollars, made in the disposal of a farm of eighty acres
which was only a short time in his possession.
On February 23, 1910, Mr. Hedges was united in marriage to Miss Minnie
Mabel Howard, a native of Idaho, born in Elmore county, January 4, 1888, and a
daughter of William F. and Clara (Heidrich) Howard, who reside at Emmett, this
state. Mr. and Mrs. Howard are old pioneers, having come to Idaho in an early
day before it was admitted to statehood, and they have since been witnesses to and
participants in the growth and development of one of the most progressive of
Mr. and Mrs. Hedges are the parents of one daughter, Mildred Joyce Hedges,
born April 20, 1915. They are earnest members of the Christian church. Mr.
Hedges is a democrat and is a member of the Odd Fellow order, in the affairs of
which he takes a warm interest.
CHARLES J. KINSOLVING, M. D.
Holding to high professional standards, Dr. Charles J. Kinsolving has steadily
advanced in professional ranks until he is now accorded a place among the leading
physicians and surgeons of St. Maries and his section of the state. Having gained
comprehensive knowledge of the scientific principles of medicine and surgery, he
is at the same time most careful in diagnosis and is unfaltering in his care of his
patients. Dr. Kinsolving is a native of Virginia. He was born October 18, 1877,
in Washington county, his parents being Charles J. and Middie Ann (O'Dam) Kin-
solving, who were likewise born in the Old Dominion. The father was a farmer
by occupation, thus providing for the support of his family. His political allegiance
was given to the democratic party and for sixteen years he filled the office of treasurer
and deputy treasurer in the county where he made his home. For four years he
served in the Civil war as an officer in the intelligence section. He was likewise
prominent as a member of the Episcopal church and ofttimes occupied a pulpit. The
Kinsolving family has long been prominent in connection with the upbuilding of the
Episcopal church and one of its members is a bishop of Maryland and another a
bishop of Texas while a third was bishop of Brazil, South America.
Dr. Kinsolving of this review pursued his early education in the schools of
Washington county, Virginia, and in the high school of Greenwood. A review of
the broad field of business and professional activity determined him to enter upon
HISTORY OF IDAHO 357
the practice of medicine as a life work and with this end in view he matriculated
in the University College of Medicine of Virginia, which is the medical department
of the State University. He was graduated in 1904 and then became interne in
the Sheltering Arms Hospital at Paint Creek, West Virginia, thus gaining the broad
and practical experience which hospital practice brings. He was also physician
for the Davis Coal & Coke Company of Thomas, West Virginia, and remained a
resident of that section of the country until 1906, when he came west and opened
an office in St. Maries, which at the time was a small village without a railroad. He
was the only doctor in this part of the Kootenai country at the time. He has
always kept in touch with the trend of modern professional thought and progress
and is thoroughly familiar with the latest scientific researches and discoveries along
the line of his chosen profession. When Marble creek territory was opened up he
became a homesteader there, but his activities have largely been confined to his
professional interests save for his public duties.
On September 8, 1909, Dr. Kinsolving was united in marriage to Miss Julia E.
Eanes, of Richmond, Virginia, a daughter of Oscar Eanes, who was a merchant of that
beautiful old southern city. They have two children, Elizabeth Ann and Charles Edwin.
Dr. Kinsolving takes a deep interest in civic and public matters, his interest
finding tangible expression in many activities for the public good. He has always given
his political allegiance to the democratic party and was elected the first senator from
Benewah county after it was created in 1915. He also was appointed and served as the
first county coroner and the first county health officer. He became one of the original
members of the Defense Council of Benewah county, being its first chairman, and serv-
ing during the entire war, and in many ways he was most active in promoting the
interests of the country during the World war period. He was food administrator,
medical examiner of the selective service draft board and a member of the exemption
board, was chairman of the combined drives in Benewah county and was also active
during the I. W. W. troubles. As chairman of the Defense Council he obtained many
convictions, thus suppressing lawlessness and the spread of bolshevik doctrines. He
was also special state medical examiner to examine camps and thus in every possible way
he aided the country in the prosecution of the war by the valuable home service which
made possible the labors of the soldiers overseas.
HENRY R. SCHENKER.
Henry R. Schenker, president of the Kootenai Box & Manufacturing Company and
thus a representative of the industrial activity which is leading to the rapid develop-
ment and substantial upbuilding of Spirit Lake and northern Idaho, comes to the north-
west from the Atlantic seaboard, his birth having occurred in Holyoke, Massachusetts,
April 21, 1882, his parents being Henry M. and Laura (Markert) Schenker, both of
whom were natives of Saxony, Germany. They came to America, however, in boyhood
and girlhood and, establishing their home in Holyoke, Henry M. Schenker obtained
employment in the mills there and was active in connection with the manufacturing
interests of that place.
Henry R. Schenker entered Yale University after attending the public schools of
Holyoke and was graduated in 1905 with the Bachelor of Arts degree. He afterward
attended the law school of the University of Texas, to which institution he had gone
as football coach. He worked his way through Yait and as an athletic instructor paid
his tuition while a law student.
Mr. Schenker came to Spirit Lake in 1908 as private secretary to F. A. Blackwell,
then president of the Idaho & Washington Railroad and general manager of the Pan-
handle Lumber Company. In 1913, after being admitted to the bar, he entered upon
the practice of law at Spirit Lake and continued an active representative of the pro-
fession until 1915, when he organized the Kootenai Box & Manufacturing Company for
the manufacture of all kinds of boxes. He has since been at the head of this enterprise,
which has grown slowly but steadily, furnishing employment to a considerable* force of
workmen and finding ready sale for its output over a large territory.
Mr. Schenker was united in marriage to Miss Agnes Earley, of Erin, Wisconsin,
and they have one son, Carl. They are well known socially at Spirit Lake and in this
section of the state and Mr. Schenker is accounted a most valuable citizen by reason
of his activity along various lines contributing to public progress and civic advance-
358 HISTORY OF IDAHO
ment. He was the president and was one of the organizers of the Patriotic League of
Spirit Lake during the World war and was also president of the Chamber of Commerce,
the outgrowth of which is the Spirit Lake Improvement Association. Since 1908 he has
been connected with everything of civic value and was one of the foremost workers in
the promotion of Liberty Loans and other drives for the benefit of the American army
and the financial support of the government. He contributed in substantial measure
to the splendid results achieved by Spirit Lake, which in one of the drives raised four
hundred and fifty per cent of its quota. He has ever been a consistent and effective
worker for advancement and progress in this section of the state and is the father of
the plan for organizing a new county out of the northern part of Kootenai county. In
politics he is a democrat, active in support of the principles in which he firmly believes,
yet he always makes partisanship subservient to the general good and self-aggrandize-
ment subordinate to the public welfare. He deserves much credit for what he has accom-
plished. He started out in the business world with an excellent education as the foun-
dation of success, but even that education had been acquired entirely through his own
efforts and from that point in his career he has steadily progressed, placing no false
values upon the opportunities of life but recognizing from the outset the eternal prin-
ciple that industry wins.
ROBERT DWIGHT LEEPER.
Robert Dwight Leeper is actively connected with a profession which has an im-
portant bearing upon public welfare, being the protector of the rights and liberties of
the individual and the safeguard of business enterprise. While still a young man, he
has already attained a professional position which many a one of twice his years might
well envy and his course indicates that his future career will be well worth watching.
Moreover, he is entitled to representation in this volume as one of the veterans of the
He was born in Tacoma, Washington, June 29, 1891, and his entire life has been
characterized by the spirit of enterprise and progress that has ever dominated the
west. He is a son of W. W. and Nellie (Stainton) Leeper. The father, who is a native
of Missouri, is now living in Coeur d'Alene. The mother, who was born in Lewiston,
Idaho, passed away February 17, 1913. She was a daughter of Henry Stainton, who
was one of the pioneer physicians of Idaho, being the first representative of the pro-
fession in Lewiston. W. W. Leeper came to the northwest in his boyhood days with his
parents, who traveled across the country with a wagon train. They traversed Idaho en
route to Washington and in the latter state W. W. Leeper was reared to manhood and
lived for several years. He subsequently removed to Lewiston and became prominently
identified with business interests and public affairs during the fifteen years of his res-
idence in that place. He conducted an insurance agency, winning substantial success
by the careful management of his business. He makes his home at the present time
in Coeur d'Alene, where he has an extensive circle of warm friends.
Robert D. Leeper was a pupil in the public schools of Coeur D'Alene and continued
his education in the State University of Idaho, in which he completed his law course
by graduation with the class of 1913. He then began practice in Coeur D'Alene and
through the intervening period has successfully followed his profession save during
the time in which he was a representative of the military interests of the government.
Following America's advent into the World war, he attended the first officers training
camp at the Presidio in San Francisco and was there commissioned second lieutenant
of infantry and assigned to the Three Hundred and Sixty-third Infantry Regiment, with
which command he sailed for France in July, 1918, as a member of the Ninety-first
Division. He landed in England on the 25th of that month and thence went to France,
going into the training area in Haute-Marne, near Chaumont. The Ninety-first Division,
with which he served, made a most brilliant record by reason of the valor and fighting
qualities which the men displayed in the Meuse, St. Mihiel and Argonne engagements.
Before leaving the United States Mr. Leeper had been promoted on the 25th of April,
1918, to the grade of first lieutenant. In the Argonne he was wounded and after re-
covering from his injuries he was attached to Company I of the One Hundred and
Sixty-fifth Infantry of the Forty-second Division and went to Germany with the army of
occupation. He was given the general order citation, equivalent to the Croix de Guerre
with palms. On the 16th of April, 1919, he returned to the United States. Modesty
ROBERT D. LEEPER
HISTORY OF IDAHO 361
has ever been one of the marked characteristics of the soldiers of the recent war and
yet Americans will ever thrill with the story of the dauntless valor displayed by the
soldiers who took their places on the battle lines of Prance, checked the advance of
the Germans, turned the tide of war and ultimately won the victory for the allies.
While in France Mr. Leeper was appointed city attorney of Coeur d'Alene. He is
regarded as a very progressive and able young man whose future is bright with prom-
ise. He has been very prominent in civic affairs, standing loyally at all times for those
interests which make for higher ideals of citizenship. He has been extremely active
in the organization of the American Legion and has served on the executive committee
of Kootenai Post, and as vice national committeeman for Idaho. Since returning home
he has been secretary of the war camp community service, doing much to assist ex-
service men in gaining a new start in the business world. Mr. Leeper belongs to St.
Thomas Catholic church and is very active in the Knights of Columbus, and is also a
member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is a member of the Chamber
of Commerce and assists most earnestly and effectively in promoting the work of
that organization for the upbuilding of the city, for the extension of its trade rela-
tions and the maintenance of the highest standards in everything that relates to the
welfare and progress of city and state. Mr. Leeper was elected temporary and per-
manent chairman of the democratic state convention at Lewiston, held June 15, 1920, and
was elected a delegate to national convention at San Francisco.
BURTON W. SCOTT.
For sixteen years Burton W. Scott has been a resident of Idaho, having come to this
state from Putnam county, Missouri, wh'ere he was born April 19, 1876, a son of David G.
and Ann Jane (Reese) Scott. The father, who was a native of Pennsylvania, died at
Emmett, Idaho, about four years ago. The mother of Mr. Scott died when he was but
thirteen years of age, and some time afterward his father married again, Miss Anna
Leeper becoming his second wife, and she made a good stepmother and is still living,
now residing at Emmett. The subject of this review has three brothers and two sisters,
also one half-brother and one half-sister.
Mr. Scott was reared in Putnam county, Missouri, and in 1904 removed to Idaho,
straightway settling in Long valley, where he took a one hundred and sixty acre home-
stead. He greatly improved this land and resided on it for seven years. While still
owning it he returned to Missouri in 1911 for a visit and remained there for several
years. In 1915 he returned to Idaho and after residing at Emmett for a while, removed
to Kuna and a year later located on his present forty acre ranch, one mile east of Kuna.
In June, 1917, he purchased this ranch, and after erecting buildings upon it took up
his abode there in the fall of 1917. The land at that time was covered with sagebrush,
but it is now practically all in red clover and alfalfa with the exception of four acres
of white clover and bluegrass.
On the 10th of June, 1904, Mr. Scott was united in marriage to Miss Mary F. Ellis,
who was also born in Putnam county, Missouri. January 8, 1882. Only one child has been
born to this union, a son by the name of Burton E. Scott, whose birth occurred Febru-
ary 23, 1914.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Scott are members of the Christian church and are active in
church, work. In politics Mr. Scott is a democrat and stanchly supports his party.
He has never run for office but has rendered not a little public service as road overseer