James H. (James Hadden) Smith.

History of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 101 of 125)
Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 101 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was a distinguished physician and continued in
practice here till his death.

Dr. CorneUus Remsen was the next physician to
locate here. He was born at Newtown, L. I.,
Feb. 14, 1789, and removed thence Sept. 7, 1804,
to Fishkill, for the purpose of studying medicine,
living with his uncles, Peter, James and Thomas
Osborn, three bachelor brothers, who resided a
half mile north of Fishkill and were then practicing
medicine in that vicinity. He pursued his medical
studies with Dr. Bartow White of that village,
and was licensed by the Duchess County Medical
Society, Dec. 12, 1810. He served professionally
in the army during the war of 1812.

William Baxter, who was born in Delhi in 1805,
and was a graduate of Union College, graduated in
medicine at the College of Physicians and Surgeons
in New York about 1833. He established himself
in practice in New York city, and removed thence
about 1836 to Mt. Upton, Chenango county. After
about a year he removed thence to Wappingers
Falls, where he practiced till his death, July 3,1875
with the exception of three years spent in Cali-
fornia.

Charles Bottsford, from Connecticut, located
here soon alter the death of Dr. Schenck,
about 1840. He was a highly respected physician
and practiced here for some years, until incapaci-
tated by sickness, when he returned to Connecti-
cut and died of consumption. Benjamin Coit,
who came from the East, practiced here a
year or two, about 1845, and removed to California.
Wm. H. Proal was practicing here in 1847 and
continued till his death, July 16, 1854, at the age
of thirty-six.

The present ^ssicians are: James M. Congreve,
Wm. Baxter, S.^e, Jr., N. M. Van Duser, Thos.
K. Cruse, Edmund Van Wyck, Isaac M. Cornell
and Thomas P. Birdsall.

James M. Congreve was born in Jamaica, in the
West Indies, in 1821, and removed thence with his
parents in 1828. He studied medicine with Dr.
Elliott Boyd, of New York, and removed thence in
1857 to Wappingers Falls, graduating the following
year at the Eclectic College of New York. Wm.
Baxter, son of an earlier physician of that name,
was born at Wappingers Falls in 1848. He studied
medicine with his father and was licensed by the
Homeopathic Medical Society of Duchess County
in 187 1, in which year he commenced practice in
this village. Sylvester Roe, Jr., was born in Flush-
ing, L. I., in 1844. He graduated from the Mt.
Vernon College, N. J., in the spring of 1867, and



498



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



from the Eclectic Medical College of, the City of
New York, May 6, 1869. After practicing a year
in New York and eighteen months in Sag Harbor,
he removed in 187 1 to Wappingers Falls. Na-
thaniel M. VanDuser, was born in Cornwall, Orange
county, in 1820. He studied medicine at the
medical department of Vermont University, at
Castleton, Vt., and graduated from the College of
Physicians and Surgeons in New York, March 4,
1852. In 1854, after serving about two years as
surgeon for the Co'hns line of steamers between
New York and Liverpool, he established himself
in practice at Hughsonville, whence he removed
about 1873 to this village. Thomas K. Cruse
was born in Baltimore, Md., in 1849. He gradu-
ated from the College of the City of New York in
1868, with the degree of A. M. He studied medi-
cine at the Bellevue Hospital Medical College in
New York City, and graduated there March i,
1870. He served four years in that institution,
the first two as house surgeon, and the latter two
as surgeon of the Bureau of Relief for the out-door
poor. He afterwards spent a year in study at
London, Paris' and Berlin. In 1874 he accepted
an appointment as surgeon of one of the steamers
of the White Star line, and the latter part of that
year established himself in practice at Tarrytown.
In 1875 he removed thence to Wappingers Falls,
where he has since practiced.

Edraiind VanWyck, son of John VanWyck,
was born in New Hamburgh in 1850. He studied
medicine with Dr. N. M. Van Duser, of Wappin-
gers Falls, and graduated from the College of Phy-
sicians and Surgeons of New York in 1873. He
spent two years, 1873 to 1875, as assistant phy-
sician of the New York City Lunatic Asylum, on
Blackwell's Island, and in 1876" established him-
self in practice at Wappingers Falls..

Isaac M. Cornell was born in Blooming Grove,
Rensselaer county, in 1851. He studied medicine
with Dr. S. S. Greene, of LaGrange, and gradu-
ated from the University Medical College of New
York City, Feb. 22, 1877. He commenced prac-
tice with his preceptor, who, in the meantime, had
removed to Buffalo, and in December of that year
he established himself in practice in this village.
Thomas P. Birdsall was born in the town of New-
burgh, Orange county, Jan. 13, 1856. He studied
medicine with his cousin. Dr. S. T. Birdsall, in
Brooklyn, and graduated from the New York
Homeopathic Medical College Feb. 28, 1878. He
commenced practice in PeekskiU and removed
thence in 1879 to Wappingers Falls.



Lawyers. — The first lawyer to locate in Wap-
pingers Falls was John W. Bartrum, who was born
in Union Vale, in this County, Dec. 25, 1843. He
graduated from the State Normal School at Albany
in 1863, and read the elementary works on law
while engaged in teaching in the Oswego Institute
in this County, and in the district schools. He sub-
sequently entered the office of Burlingame & Mc-
Harg, of Albany, and graduated at the Law De-
partment of Albany University in 1868. He was
admitted to practice the same year. He formed
a co-partnership with one of his preceptors, Mr.
Burlingame, which continued two years, during
that gentleman's protracted absence in the West.
Jan. 1,1871, he opened an office in Wappingers
Falls, where he has since practiced.

Elisha Rusk was admitted in 1879, and in that
year opened an office in this village. Bernard J.
Tinney, who was born at Wappingers Falls in 1857,
and educated in the Channingville Union Free
School, read law in the office of J. W. Bartrum in
this village, and afterwards with Henry Daily, Jr.,
of New York, a former partner of Charles O'Con-
nor. He was admitted Sept. 12, 1878, and com-
menced practice in Wappingers Falls, Oct 7, 1878.
He was elected corporation clerk in 1880. T. C.
Wakeman, from Towners, Putnam county, read
law with J. W. Bartrum of this yillage and was ad-
mitted in the fall of 1881. He opened an office in
Wappingers Falls shortly after.

The Wappinger Falls Savings Bank was incor-
porated April 23, 1869. 1'he incorporators and
first trustees were : J. Nelson Luckey, Irving Grin-
nell, Samuel Brown, Thomas W. Jaycocks, Elias
Brown, Henry Mesier, Andrew Jackson, WilUam
B. Millard, Benjamin Clapp, A. W. Armstrong,
Rev. Dennis Sheehan, John R. Phillips, Samuel
W. Johnson, Josiah Faulkner,- 1. T. Nichols, J. D.
Harcourt, Clayton E. Sweet, Edward M. Goring,
Abraham D. Smith, Henry Suydam, Francis
Myers, Z. V. Hasbrook and Daniel McKinlay.
The first officers were:, Samuel W. Johnson,
President ; I. T. Nichols, ist Vice-President ; Rev.
Dennis Sheehan, 2nd Vice-President ; Clayton E.
Sweet, Secretary and Treasurer.

Mr. Johnson was_President until his death Dec.
12, 1881, and was succeeded by W. Henry Reese,
who was elected Jan. 6, 1882. In 1871, when the
Wappingers Falls Bank* was organized,- W. Henry
Reese, the cashier of that institution, "became the
treasurer of the Savings Bank, and held the posi-
tion till May, 1881, when he was succeeded by

* This bank has closed its doors and is now settling up its business.



SOO



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



in 1838; and in 1839 James H. Romer was Mr.
Cochran's colleague ; while in 1 840, the circuit re-
ceived the joint labors of Henry Hatfield and
James H. Romer. In 1841 Henry Hatfield and
Robert Travis were on the circuit. In 1842
David Holmes and Samuel Weeks were the
preachers. In 1843 David Holmes was assisted by
John Campbell.

In 1845, at the request of William Orr, a lot was
given by Mr. Given ; and as a condition of • that
gift a society was incorporated Nov. i8th, under
the name of " The Methodist Episcopal Church
of Ednam Village." Steps were at once taken to
construct an edifice, which was dedicated in 1845.
William Orr, Fowler Rogers and Albert VanTyne
were the building committee.

Rev. Denton Keeler, who preached during the
opening of this new church, returned the next
year to enjoy service in it. In 1847, A. F. Sellick,
was assigned to " Fishkill West," and was returned
the following year. Matthew VanDuzen gave
two years sucessful labor, in 1849-50. P. L. Hoyt
was the preacher in 185 1 ; and in 1852-3, D. B.
Turner was in charge, assisted the first year by
John W. Munger, and the second year by D. W.
C. Van Gaasbeck.

John Luckey was the preacher in 1854, and
Thomas Edwards in 1855. This latter year
Joel Cross preached at Wappingers Falls
and New Hamburgh. In 1856 Wappingers
Falls was a mission, supplied by W. F. Gould.
This year P. L. Hoyt was returned to the "Fishkill
West " circuit and remained two years. In the
spring of 1857 he found an earnest and successful
co-laborer in Elbert Osborn, who was stationed at
Wappingers Falls and New Hamburgh, and con- '
tinued a second year. A. Davis was the preacher
in i858-'9, and the latter year Daniel 0. Ferris
ministered at Wappingers Falls and New Ham-
burgh. In i860 the circuit was supplied by Wm.
F. Gould and Asa P. Lyon, and in i86i, Lyon
was associated with Aaron Hunt, the latter of
whom returned in 1862. In 1863, Fishkill, Mid-
dlebush and Channingville were supplied by H. C.
Humphrey. In 1864, C. M. Eggleston preached
at Fishkill and Middlebush, and Wappingers Falls
was supplied by Horace Wood. In 1865, Mr.
Wood was appointed to Middlebush. Ira Ferrisj
who had charge the preceding year at New Ham-
burgh, was appointed to the charge of New Ham-
burgh and Wappingers Falls in i866-'7.

During the early part of Mr. Ferris' administra-
tion began to be agitated, the question of consoli-



dating the Middlebush and Wappingers Falls
churches. The Middlebush edifice was too far
from the rapidly growing village, and that at Chan-
ningville not large enough to meet the demands of
both. The interests of Methodism demanded the
change, but it was with much difficulty that the
leading members of the two churches were recon-
ciled to it. It was decided, however, to consoli-
date, and the Channingville church property was
sold for $800. Mr. Ferris' health failed in 1867,
and E. E. Croft supplied New Hamburgh and
Channingville, and Mr. Matthias filled the Middle-
bush appointment till the spring.

In 1868 Wappingers Falls and New Hamburgh
were supplied by P. L. Hoyt. In April of this
year the lot now occupied by the Wappingers
Falls M. E. Church was purchased of the executors
of the estate of Margaret Reese, deceased, for
$902.50. Measures were at once set on foot to
erect a church thereon by the consolidated society,
which was done at a cost of $14,865.83, the funds
for which were mainly raised by the exertions of
A. C. Morehouse, who was appointed to the circuit
in the spring of 1869. The church was furnished
at a cost of $940, the funds for that purpose having
been raised by the Ladies' Aid Society, which was
organized May 10, 1869. The old Middlebush
church was taken down and the material used in
constructing the present barn and sheds at a cost
of $752.45.

In April, 1872, E. S. Bishop was sent as
preacher in charge and remained two years. In
1874, J. H. Hawkhurst came to the charge and
remained three years. In 1877, '78 and '79, the
church was served by N. B. Thompson. In 1880,
A. H. Ferguson came as preacher. D. H. Hana-
burgh, commenced his pastoral labors with the
church in April, 1881. The-present number of
members is two hundred and fifty; the attendance
at Sunday-school, about two hundred, and the
average attendance about one hundred and sixty.*
Presbyterian Church of Wappingers Falls.—
About 1847, at the request of Mrs. J. Fisher
Sheafe, Rev. John D. Wells, who was then preach-
ing at EUesdie chapel, canvassed Wappingers Falls
to learn how many persons wished to form a
Presbyterian church. This resulted in the gather-
ing of a congregation, which met for worship in the
hall in the upper story of the building on the north-
east corner of Main and Mill streets, where occa-
sional services w ere conducted by neighboring

* Condensed from Rev. D. H. Hanaburgh's/^«ferK«/Z>iVc«,r« pre-
pared m 1 88 1, and from supplementary information received from him.



TOWN OF WAPPINGER.



SOI



ministers, and the formation of this church by a
committee of the North River Presbytery, June .6,
1848. In that year (1848) a pleasant church edi-
fice was built for this congregation by Mrs. Sheafe,
on Fulton street. In 1871 and '72, the splendid
new church edifice in which the congregation now
worships was erected. May 5, 1872, the first ser-
vices were held in the new building, which was
dedicated July 25, 1872. The following have been
its successive pastors : Rev. Edwin R. McGregor,
July 16, 1848 ; Rev. Reuben Frame, Dec. i, 1850;
Rev. Edwin R. Brower, Oct. 30, 1855 ; Rev. John
Lowrey, July 10, 1861; Rev. Samuel E. Herrick,
Oct. 13, 1863; Rev. William W. Newell, Jr.,
August 23, 1865 ; Rev. Oliver A. Kingsbury,
March i, 1870 ; Rev. William G. Hillman; April
28, 1874; and Rev. James Otis Denniston, June

s. 1877-

Zion (Episcopal) Church of Wappingers Falls,
was organized in 1834, and erected their church
edifice the same year. The present rector is Rev.
Henry F. Satterlee.*

The Franklindak Baptist Church of Wappin-
gers Falls, was organized in 1838, and erected their
church edifice in 1847. The present pastor is
Rev. H. A. Cornell.*

Societies. — LaFayette Lodge, No. i?,,I.O. O. F,
was instituted Jan. 4, 1838. The charter members
were: Jno. A. Kennedy, P. G. of No. 11 ; J. D.
Stewart, P. D. G. M.'; George Chatillon, Joseph
R. Young, Wm. A. Tyler, P. G. No. i ; Jno S.
Ellison and Joseph Blackburn, all of whom are
dead. The lodge numbers 162 members and
meets every Thursday evening in Odd Fellows
Hall, which was built in 1877 at a cost of $7,000,
and is owned by the lodge. This is the only one
of the eight lodges in the district which owns the
hall in which it meets.

La Fayette Encampment of Patriarchs, No. 95,
/. O. O. F., an offshoot from La Fayette Lodge
No. 18, I. O. p. F., was instituted Feb. 26, 1879.
The charter members were : James Thornhill,
John Robinson, John Halliday, Columbus Van
Dyne, James Finley, Thomas J. Mather, Wm. S.
Cummings. The present number of members is
thirty. Meetings are held the second and fourth
Mondays of each month in Odd Fellows Hall.

Wappingers Falls Division 147 S. of T., was or-
ganized March 26, 1867, with the following charter
members : Dr. James M. Congreve, Cornelius W.
Ki gnell, Clinton W. Clapp, Reuben W. Nelson ,

* Data relative to this church promised has not been supplied ; hence
we are unable to give further details. The same is true of the Baptist
church.



Silas Curtis, Peter McGregor, John Gannon, Dar-
win W. Woodward, James M. Congreve, Jr., John
Boon, John Cole, Armenius W. Armstrong, Rev.
Horace D. DooUttle, George H. Clapp, James
Marlor, Rev. W. W. Newell, Charles La Due, Wm.
Arbuckle, Elias Brown, Emmet P. Manning,
Dennis Leach, Jno. W. Mathews. The present
number of members is about forty. Meetings
are held each Monday in Sons of Temperance
Hall in the Young's Building.

Wappingers Lodge, No. 671, F. &= A. M, was
instituted June 16, 1868. The charter members
were : B. S. Stradley, W. J. Brown, C. W. Hig-
nell, T. W. Goring, J. M. Goring, Thomas Dawson,
John Hunter, George Deacon and S. R. Brown ;
and the charter oflScers, John Hunter, Master; Geo.
T. Deacon, S. W. ; Thomas Dawson, J. W. The
resent number of members is 118. The lodge rrieets
the first and third Mondays of each month in Man-
sion Hall on Main Street.

The Duchess and Franklindale Mtttual Aid
Society, was formed some ten or twelve years
since by the operatives of the Duchess Print Works
and the Franklindale Cotton Mill, to furnish aid to
each other in case of sickness or death. It was
formed at the suggestion of the Duchess Company,
who now make it obligatory upon all their em-
ployes, to join one of three classes, which is deter-
mined by the wages of the employe, $2, $3, or $5
per week being given in case of sickness the first
three months and one-half those amounts the
second three months, when it ceases, and in case
of death $10, $15, or $25, according to the class
to which the employd belongs, none being allowed
to enter a class in which the aid given is greater
than the wages received.

The Evening Star I^odge, No. 98, Knights of
Pythias was organized April 16, 1873. The char-
ter members were : D. S. Dougherty, John Ready,
Harvey Pollock, J. W. Bartrum, C. W. Hignell,
Robert F. Johnson, Alson Sherwood, William I.
Henry, Louis Bartello, John Heald, Edwin Wors-
ley, R. H. Conliff, James A. Redfield, Thomas E.
Worsley, Thomas J. Pryor. The lodge numbers
108, and meets Wednesdays in Knights of Pythias
Hall.

John H. Ketcham Post, No. 88, G. A. R., was
chartered Feb. 13, 1876, and was a re- organization
of Cushing Post, No. 99, organized some years
previously. The charter members of the new
organization were : Joseph Grimshaw, Joseph
Knichel, Joseph Walsh, Jno. O. Farrell, Edmund
Tanner, Thomas T. Beard, Michael Flynn, William



502



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



G. Ferris, John Ridings, John Shine, Henry Bates,
William J. Lester, Eugene Johnson, Benjamin Al-
verson, F. H. Rossman. Joseph Grimshaw was
the first Commander. The Post numbers thirty-
six, and meets the first and third Saturdays of every
month, in Temperance Hall.

Wappingers Lodge, No. 1270, Knights of Honor
was instituted Nov. 5, 1878, and chartered Sept.
17, 1879. The charter members were: Jacob
Cole, William Sanders, H. C. Snow, E. Van Nos-
trand, David Secor, E. Crawley, F. S. Smith, E. F.
Hargraves, S. A. Lonsdale, W. H. Goring, Joseph
Roy, Jno. W. Gaunt, John Seares, Jonas Baum,
Valentine Valk, T. T. Beard, W. S. V. Roth,
Henry Worsley, Lewis Kaune, Philip Brown and
J. W. P. Lawson. The lodge numbers thirty-seyen,
and meets the first and third ' Tuesdays in Sons of
Temperance Hall.

Wappinger Lodge, No. 347, 1. O. G. T., was or-
ganized Feb. 23,1881. The charter officers and
members were : Samuel F. Monfort, W. C. T. ;
Sarah Nash, W. V. T. ; F. Belding, W. C. ; James
fielding, W. S.; Mrs. James Belding, W. A. S.;
Jno. L. Sheerer, W. F. S.; E. G. Sweezey, W. T.;
Chas. Proctor, Samuel Temple, James Temple,
Wm. H. Monfort, Joseph Mabie, Jno. Nash, Mrs.
Jno. Nash, Jno. Bell, Wm. Farrer, Edward Smith,
Stephen Nash, Irving K. Sheerer, D. B. Whitney,
Mrs. D. B. Whitney, John Popper, Jno. C. Haight,
F. M. Balding, Ella Nash, Lizzie Belding, Monroe
Kipp, David Beck, Robt. Clinton, Els worth Traver,
Eddie Nash, Annie Henderson. The lodge num-
bers eighty-four, and meets Fridays in Knights of
Pythias Hall.

Triumph Council, No. 73, Legion of Honor, was
organized August 10, 1881. The charter mem-
bers were : Wm. D. Snow, Harry C. Snow, Geo.
Warhurst, Jr., Daniel McKinnon, Dr. S. Roe, Jr.,
Harvey Pollock, Dr. C. J.^Wood, A. H. Roth, Wm!
O. Brower, Wm. Truby, Peter Goers, David Secor,
John H. Dakin, Frederick Gussefeld, Timothy
Lester, Jno. Huber, Charles M. Pryor, Ladolph
Kaune, Frederick Kehler, Frank Richtmeyer,
Henry Harting, Gustave Heusser, Frederick
Kaune, Geo. T. Williamson, James W. P. Lanson.
The Council numbers thirty-three, and meets the
second and fourth Tuesdays of each month in
Knights of Pythias Hall.

HUGHSONVILLE.

Hughsonville is situated about a mile south of
Wappingers Falls and contains one church, (Pres-
byterian,) a district school, one hotel, two' stores.



a blacksmith shop, kept by Heber Vannosdall, a
wagon shop, kept by John Wiesner, a carpenter
shop kept by John Burnett, two shoe shops, kept
by John T. Dearing and Alfred Hasbrook, a har-
ness shop, kept by Benjamin Vail, and a popula-
tion of about 150. The business of the place
which was formerly of some little consequence, has
been absorbed by Wappingers Falls.

Hughsonville derives its name from theHughson
family, descendants of Wm. Hughson, who took up
a large tract of land on the east side of Wappin-
gers Creek,extending from the small stream which
empties into that creek at Hallock's dock, near the
corporation line of Wappingers Falls, to the mouth
of Wappingers Creek, and thence down the Hud-
son, on which he made the first settlement at
Hughsonville before the Revolution. He was one
of four brothers wfio came to this country from
England, one settUng in the South and becoming
the progenitor of the " Houstons," as the name is-
then spelt, and another in Ulster county, where
his descendants preserve the distinguishing orthog-
raphy of " Hewson." William first located at Yonk-
ers and removed thence to this place. William,
John, Nicholas and Stephen were sons of his, and
all, except Nicholas, who went to sea and was never
afterwards heard of, married and settled in the
vicinity of Hughsonville.

In 1 847-' 48, the postoffice was established here.
The inhabitants had previously obtained their
mail at Middlebush, where the first postoffice
in this locality was estabKshed about i824-'2S,

and was kept by Fancher, father of

Judge Fancher, of New York. Benjamin T.
Smith has been engaged in mercantile "business
here a year, and was appointed postmaster in the
fall of 1880.

Dr. Nathaniel M. VanDuser, now in practice at
Wappingers Falls, practiced medicine here from
1854 until about 1873. No other physician has
located here since. Dr. Pinckney was an early
practitioner near the mill between this village and
Wappingers Falls.

The Presbyterian Church of Hughsonville was
formed by persons who had previously attended
the church at New Hamburgh. The church edifice
was erected in 1840. The membership is small,
and there has been no regular pastor for some
years, though the pulpit is regularly supplied by Rev.
Jesse E. Shafer, of Newburgh. The records of the
church prior to 1874 wer^ burned with the house
of the clerk of the session, so that we are unable
to trace its history.



TOWN OF WAPPINGER.



503



Low Point.

Low Point (Carthage Landing p. o.) is a sta-
tion on the Hudson River Railroad in the south-
west corner of the town, 3.53 miles above Fish-
kill Landing and 2.57 miles below New Hamburgh.
Its name was given to designate its low lands in
contradistinction from the high lands at New Ham-
burgh. It contains two churches, (Episcopal and
M. E.,) a district school — a brick structure twen-
ty-seven by fifty-four feet, erected in 1875, and
employing one teacher, one hotel, kept by Capt.
Jacob Hart, one store, kept by Nathaniel Smith,
the works of the Wallkill Portland Cement Co.,
J. Sanderson & Co., proprietors, a blacksmith
shop, kept by Richard Morris, two shoe shops,
kept by Samuel M. Cook and Basil Hopkins, a
brick-yard, and about two hundred and fifty in-
habitants. ^

In 1854, the second store here was built by
Jacob A. Rogers. In 1855, Mr. Rogers was suc-
ceeded by John H. Sturges, who continued until
his death in 1870, when his wife carried on the
business until the spring of 1872. Nathaniel
Smith then leased the store, which still belongs to
the Rogers' estate, and still carries on the business.

The postoffice at Low Point was estabUshed
about 1840, and Gilbert Budd, who was an old
resident of the place, was the postmaster, an office
he held for a number of years. John H. Sturges,
who was then engaged in mercantile business,
succeeded him and held the office till his death in
1870. He was succeeded by Nathaniel Smith,
the present incumbent.

James V. Mead has quite an extensive brick-
yard a half mile below the village. It was first
established by Gilbert D. Collins over thirty years
ago and was carried on by him for several years. It
was afterwards rented to different parties. In the
spring of 1871, it was purchased of the Collins
estate by Thos. Aldrich, who ownes three or four
yards at Duchess Junction. He fmmediately
rented it to Mr. Mead, who purchased it in Decem-
ber, 1881. He employs some thirty men and
makes about 1,000,000 bricks per annum. It is
Mr. Mead's intention to greatly increase the
capacity of the works.

There has never been a resident physician or
lawyer at Low Point ; but Dr. John Pinckney ex-
tended his practice here from the inception of its
business career. He owned a farm about three-
fourths of a mile east of the village, which is now
occupied by the widow of his son John, though it



Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 101 of 125)