James H. (James Hadden) Smith.

History of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 41 of 125)
Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 41 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


nected by heavy rods of the same metal.

Immediately south of the southern projection of
the church, within an enclosure, and guarded by two
ten-pounder Parrot guns, perhaps the very ones with
which he served, is an obelisk of white marble,
sculptured with appropriate military emblems,
erected in honor of a young Union artillery officer.
It bears the following inscription : —

In memory of John Watts de Peyster, Jr.,
Major First New York Vol. Artillery, Brevet Col-



onel U. S. V. and N. Y. V. " Greatly distinguished
for gallantry and good conduct at the battle of
WiUiamsburg, (Monday, sth May, 1862, as Aid to
his cousin, Maj. Gen. Philip Kearny,) 'and no less
remarked for his coolness and courage under me
(Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker,) at the battle of Chan-
cellorsville,'" (2d, 3d, 4th May, 1863, as Chief of
Artillery, 2d Div., 6th Corps,) to Maj. Gen. Albion
P. Howe. After nearly ten years unremitted suffer-
ing, the consequence of arduous service in the field,
he died 12th of April, 1873, in his native City of
New York, aged 3 r years, 4 months and 10 days.




(CHURCH OF ST. PAUL'S-VIEW FROM THE SOUTH.)

Immediately in the rear of the church and against
the chancel wall is another marble tablet, lettered
as follows : —

Third Corps, ist Division, and 6th Corps, 2d
Division.

In the Vault beneath rest the mortal remains of
Brevet Colonel John Watts de Peyster, Jr.,
Major ist N. Y. Vol. Arty. Born 2d Decem-
ber 1841, in the city of New York, and died there
1 2th of April, 1873. "A young officer" (whom
Kearny styled "as brave as himself,") "of zeal,
energy, and fired with a patriotic ambition.
(Major General Peck.) " A soldier of great force



196



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



in action, and capable by his personal heroism of
inspiring others with his own fiery courage." (Brig.
Gen. Josh. T. Owen.) "The chivalric gallantry
of character and the patriotic devotion to duty
which led Col. de Peyster in the voluntary perform-
ance of more than duty, to sacrifice upon the altar
of his country, his health and the bright promise of
a noble manhood, justly entitle him to the favor-
able consideration of his government and the kind
consideration of his countrymen." (Maj. Gen. A.
P. Howe.) In every position, as a Staff, Cavalry,
and Artillery officer, equally distinguished, he died
a martyr for the Union. "



(CHURCH OF ST PAULS-VIEW FROM THE WEST)

In alluding to the vaults, mention should have
been made of the plain but enduring appearance
of the one m the immediate rear of the chancel
andabuttmg against the foundation wall of the
church, which belongs to Gen. de Peyster. It is
constructed of enormous blocks of Hudson River
bluestone, laid in courses, and looks as if it would




last as long as humanity requires a place of sepul-
ture; the entrance is closed with a wrought iron
door as strong as the structure itself, and bears a
monogram of forged metal. Everything seems to
be calculated to insure durability. On either side
of the entrance are two other ten-pounder Parrot
guns, conceded by the United States Government
after the war. They are most appropriate in their
position, as they seem to sentinel the last repose
of two, who on terrible fields

" Knew their voices of old."

The fagade of Gen. de Peyster's vault is sur-
mounted by a very handsome sarcophagus in
ItaHan marble, bearing the following inscriptions :

Facing west, obverse —

In memory of Maria Livingston de Pey-
ster, youngest daughter and child of John
Watts and Estelle de Peyster, born 7th July, 1852
died 24th September, 1^57. ' '

Facing east, reverse —

In memory of our beloved aunt, Elizabeth
Watts Laight, daughter of John and Jane
de Lancey Watts. Died 23d June, 1866, aged 82
years.

The first, on the obverse, is a record of one of
the most remarkable children that ever gladdened
the hearts of parents. She reaHzed the hackneyed
truism of Shakespeare so often quoted and too
often misapplied,

"So wise so young, they say did ne'er live long."

The reverse commemorates the name of One
of the best of women ; one of the noblest ex-
a spies of self-denial and benevolence. Blessed
\ th means, she employed them almost entirely in
1 'ing good and giving pleasure; not through a
llndand indiscriminate charity, but by dividing
aiiong the needy and "God's poor" over six-
e tenths of her income. Such examples of un-
sientatious generosity are very rare ; but her gifts
re inherited, for she was the daughter of the
H^n. John Watts, of New York, who, becoming
I ssessed of a large fortune by the premature
leith of a noble son, would not appropriate the
i nds that came into his hands through such a
calamity, but with them founded a Refuge for the
Fatheriess, the buildings of which on a crowning
height overlook both Central and Morning-Side
Parks. It is known as the Leake and Watts
Orphan House, and was so entitled by John
Watts, who furnished the endowment. He would
not take to himself the sole credit for his disin-
terestedness, but associated with his own name
that of the connection from whom the fortune
was originally derived and also the idea of such an
institution.



TOWN OF RED HOOK.



197



Barrytown.

Barrytown lies in the southwestern part of the
town, on the Hudson River. It contains a popu-
lation of 239,* and is important only as a railroad
and river depot for the surrounding country. Not
far from this place, near Cedar Hill, is the house
erected by the wife of General Montgomery about
the beginning of the present century, and known
as Montgomery Place. To the south of Barry-
town, on the Hudson, is the estate known as
"Rokeby," at one time the property of General
Armstrong, and now in the possession of his son-
in-law, William B. Astor.

A destructive fire occurred here May loth, 1872,
destroying twenty-one buildings. A large paper-
mill,! in which a considerable business was done,
was burned some two years previous.

Judge Nathan Peabody Tyler, a prominent
citizen of the town, and an old merchant and
freighter at this point, died in December, 1864.
Captain Phineas Lovejoy Tyler, his son, now living
here, is his only immediate descendant.

The posttn aster here is Robert Gerard Martin,
appointed in 1868.

The place contains the depot, two stores — Wil-
liam Strobel, Horace M. ~ Bishop ; the former in
business here some fifteen years, the latter three
years — the store house of Carnwright, Fraleigh &
Co., freighters, the freighting estabhshment of
Coon Bros., (Robert A., Virgil E., and Silas W.,)
and the ice-house of the Mutual Benefit Ice Com-
pany, one of those immense structures so frequent-
ly seen along the Hudson.

Near by is the church of Sf. John the Evangelist,
which is the outgrowth of work performed by the
St. Peter's Brotherhood, an association of the
students of St. Stephen's College, organized to do
missionary work in the neighborhood, under the
direction of the Warden.

The Barrytown district was called by them St.
Augustine Ward, and was assigned each year, by
the Superior of the Brotherhood, to a Ward
Master and his assistants.' Services were held by
them and by the clergy of the college, on Sunday
evenings from time to time in the hotel at Barry-
town and elsewhere in 1870 and 187 1, until, in
1872, the use of the district school house was
obtained, in which services were regularly held by
the clergy of the college until October, 1874, ex-
cept in the summer vacation, and also for a short
period when they were deprived of the use of the
* i860, 250. 1S70, 24S.

t Conducted by David H. Shafer, whtr died in 1881.



school house, and held their services in a house of
Mr. Aspinwall.

The late John L. Aspinwall manifested always
the deepest interest in this work. He attended
the services with his family, and gave valuable aid
by his counsels, extensive influence, and his gen-
erous benefactions. His death on the 5th of May,
1873, was a serious loss to the Church and com-
munity, and was widely lamented.

In 1874 Mrs. Aspinwall erected, as a memorial
to her husband's memory and a source of [spiritual
benefit to the people of Barrytown, the beautiful
church edifice now standing here.

The corner-stone of the Church of St. John the
Evangelist was laid May 9, 1874, by the Rev. John
A. Aspinwall, in the absence and by the direction
of the Bishop of the Diocese.

The building was carried on to completion dur-
ing the summer and fall and was consecrated on
the 4th day of October, 1874, by the Right Rev.
Horatio Potter, D. D,, LL. D., Bishop of New
York, assisted by the Rev. Drs. Fairbairn, Breck
and Oliver, and the Rev. Messrs. Aspinwall, Ols-
sen and Hopson.

Much of the furniture of the church was pre-
sented by relatives and friends of him to whose
memory the church was erected. The chancel
window was the gift of William H. Aspinwall; the
font was presented by Mrs. Roosevelt ; the organ,
by Mrs. Woolsey; the bell, by the Rev. John A.
Aspinwall and Mrs. John Minium ; the commun-
ion service, by Lloyd Aspinwall, Mrs. Renwick and
Mrs. Ambrose Kingsland; the Bible and Prayer
Eook, by Mrs. William A. Aspinwall; the alms
basin, by Dr. and Mrs. John T. Metcalfe.

The property, after the consecration of the
church, was placed in the hands of trustees
selected by Mrs. Aspinwall. These were Rev. Rob-
ert B. Fairbairn, D. D., Rev. Henry C. Potter,
D. D., Mrs. John L. Aspinwall, Wra. H. Aspin-
wall, Samuel Breck, Meredith Howland and
Charles E. Sands. The trustees placed the chapel
under the pastoral charge of the Warden of St.
Stephen's College, Annandale.

The death of William H. Aspinwall, on the i8th
of January, 1875, took from the church a valued
trustee. He showed his interest in the work by
leaving a bequest of $5,300 in Government bonds,
the interest on which is to be devoted towards the
expenses of the parish.

Mrs. William H. Aspinwall, on the 13th of Oc-
tober, 187 s, was elected a trustee, to fill the va-
cancy occasioned by the death of her husband.



igS -



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



In 1875 the Rev. George B. Hopson was ap-
pointed to take charge of the morning services in
the church, and the parochial charge of the con-
gregation.

In the winter of 1875-6 Mrs. Aspinwall erected
a handsome building near the church, to be used
for week-day services and other church purposes.
The first service was held in this building March
4, 1876.

On Christmas day, 1879, a new chalice was pre-
sented to the church by Mrs. Susan Morrison, as a
memorial to her daughter, Miss Fanny Morrison.

Mr. Samuel Breck died September 10, 1880,
and in the following year Mr. Lloyd Breck was
elected trustee and treasurer in his place.

In 1881, Mrs. John L. Aspinwall added $2,000
to the former endowment.

Annandale.

Cedar Hill and Annandale lie in the western
part of the town, near the Hudson River. The
two places closely adjoin, the postoffice being at
Annandale. The combined population is 221.

Here, in 1797, General Armstrong had a mill,
having, about 1793, become the owner of the Bard
farm, on which he built himself a mansion. A
large flouring mill here is now run by White &
Buckhout.

The old woolen factory which occupied the site
of the present building on the Saw kill, was burned
in 1866. In this factory, for many years, a large
business had been done. When burned it was
conducted by Hanson, Horsefield & Co., who were
adding new machinery, and was owned by Mrs.
Cora L. Barton.

The present building was erected by Mrs. Bar-
ton shortly after, and for a year or two was run as
a woolen factory. It is now used as a mill for the
manufacture of mineral paint.

Cedar Hill has two hotels. The Union Hotel
was built by James Conway some twenty years
ago, in which he did business until succeeded by
John Plass, the present proprietor.

The hotel kept now by Edward Harris was built
by John Robinson over twenty years ago. C. P.
Robinson was its first landlord. The store, which
is in the same building, was also established by
John Robinson and has been conducted by Ed-
ward Harris seven years, succeeding Edgar Vin-
cent, who, three years previously, had succeeded
C. P. Robinson.

The only other merchant here is Charles H.
Sjmmons, who began business here in December
1880. '



At Annandale* are situated the church and build-
ings of St. Stephen's College, in one of the most
beautiful sections of Duchess County. The ap-
proach to the College from Cedar Hill is over a
narrow road usual to this part of the country,
shaded on either side by extensive tracts of massive
trees. The warden's house, an elegant stone
structure, and the college buildings stand on a
rise of ground to the east of this road, while on
the west is the noble church and the building of
the Parish School — the nucleus of the present
College.

The college buildings, thickly covered with ivy,
the architecture of the church and warden's
lodge, and the grand stretch of sloping, shaded
lawn, constitute a picture which forcibly reminds
one of the scenery characteristic of England.

St. Stephen's College grew out of the Church of
the Holy Innocents and its Parish School. In
1853 Mr. John Bard came to live at Annandale,
and almost immediately established a Sunday School,
and, shortly after, instituted a religious service ac-
cording to the order of the Protestant Episcopal
Church. The first service was held by Rt. Rev. A.
G. Spencer, the Lord Bishop of Jamaica, who was
on a visit to Mr. Bard. From this time the ser-
vices were regularly conducted_by the Rev. James
Starr Clark until 1854, when he was succeeded by
the Rev. G. F. Seymour, now the Rt. Rev. G, F.
Seymour, D. D. LL. D., Bishop of Springfield in
lUinois. Under him the parish school house was
built for a school for religious as well as intellec-
tual education. It continued in operation for
twenty years. It was also under Mr. Seymour that
the Church of the Holy Innocents was built, and
which was burned on the day of its completion.
It was built at the sole expense of Mr. and Mrs.
John Bard, at a cost of $34,000. The church was
rebuilt and consecrated Februa^ 2, i860. The
Episcopalians were at the time considering the
propriety' of estabhshing a training college for the
ministry. At the suggestion of the Rt. Rev. Ho-
ratio Potter, D. D., LL. D., of Oxford Univer-
sity, and a native of the town of LaGrange, in
Duchess County, Annandale was ado_pted as the
seat of the new college.

Immediately twenty acres were given by Mr.
Bard for the purpose, and the erection of the south
wing of the college was begun. In 1868 an addi-
tional building of dormitories was erected. In



*The postoffice was established here, through the influence of Jolin
Bard,. in April, 1865. Robert B. Fairbairn was appointed P. M. in 1874
but was virtually postmaster from the establishment of the office.



TOWN OF RED HOOK.



199



1870 the Ludlow and Willink Hall was completed
at a cost of $54,000 as a memorial of Elizabeth
Ludlow and Cornelia Ann Willink. The most of
the wood-work is made from oak brought from a
grove in Duchess County, belonging to these two
ladies. A spacious dining hall was erected in
1873 from funds left by Miss Preston, a domestic
in the family of John L. Aspinwall. In 1875 a
building was erected to receive a telescope pre-
sented by John Campbell, of New York, one of the
trustees of the college. The value of the property
of the college in land and buildings was, in 1880,
about $150,000.

Annandale was originally only the name of the
estate of John Bard. It has now come to desig-
nate the site of the college and the immediate neigh-
borhood.

In 1880 nearly one hundred Episcopal clergy^
men had been educated at this college.

Besides John Bard the other benefactors of the
college, who lived in Duchess County, were John
L. Aspinwall, of Barrytown, who was for a long
time treasurer. He was succeeded by Col. Stephen
Van Rensselaer Cruger. John C. Cruger, Edwin
Bartlett and Mrs. Cora L. Barton, daughter of the
distinguished statesman, Edward Livingston, were
attendants at the service of the chapel.

The first Warden was the Rev. George F. Sey-
mour. He was succeeded by the Rev. Thomas
Richey, D. D., in 1861. The third and present
Warden is the Rev. Robert B. Fairbairn, D. D.,
LL. D., who entered on the duties of the office in
1863. Robert B. Fairbairn was born in the city
of New York May 27,1818. He is the son of
William Fairbairn, of Jedburgh, Scotland,' and
Mary Mott Fairbairn, daughter of Captain Henry
Mott, born in Poughkeepsie, December 25, 1776.
He was educated at the Mechanics' School, New
York, and at Trinity College, Hartford^ where he
graduated in 1840. He studied theology at the
General Theological Seminary in New York, was
ordained a clergyman of the Episcopal Church in
1843, and immediately became the Rector of Christ
Church, Troy, N. Y. He subsequently held pas-
toral charges on the Hudson, in Saratoga and Greene
counties. He became the Professor of Mathe-
matics and Natural Philosophy, in St. Stephen's
Colleges in 1862, and became Warden in 1863,
and also the Professor of Mental and Moral Phil-
osophy and of Logic. He was made a D. D. at
Trinity College in 1864, and at St. Stephen's in
1874, and LL. D. by Delaware College in 1876.
He was married to Juliet Arnold, of Troy, N. Y.,



in 1849. He has two daughters, Mary Elizabeth
and Alice, and one son, Henry Arnold, who gradu-
ated A. B. at St. Stephen's College in 1875, and
M. D. at the University of Virginia in 1877, and
also at the College of Physicians and Surgeons,
New York, in 1878.

Red Hook in the Rebellion.

For this record of Red Hook in the Rebellion
we are indebted to the labors of General J. Watts
de Peyster, who, at his own expense — an expense
which each town was by law required to assume,
and by so many shamefully neglected — had care-
fully prepared an account of the tavm'i personnef'm.
that struggle ; and from whose address, delivered
November 28, 1866, at the inauguration of a
monument to Red Hook's defenders, we gather
what may justly be considered a comprehensive re-
view of the town's patriotiQ contribution to the
suppression of the " Slave-holder's Rebellion."

When it is considered how general has been the
apathy of the towns throughout the State in col-
lating and preserving the names and deeds of
those who fought and died in their defense — an
apathy wholly inexcusable — a generous meed of
praise should be awarded the citizen who patriot-
ically declines to permit those names to pass into
oblivion ; and who, at his own expense, prepares a
record so comprehensive in its scope as the one
from which we quote.

In the course of that four years' struggle. Red
Hook sent forth as volunteers, by re-enlistment or
substitutes, over 500 men. These were distributed
in over 47 regiments, as so far discovered, besides
four or more vessels of war.

Even with the first sound of alarm a number of
the youth of Red Hook hastened to enroll them-
selves, or hurried forward to the scene of the con-
flict.

On April 21, 1861, the 12th N. Y. S. M. left
New York city. On the 23d the 8th N. Y. S. M.,
(Washington Grays,) was- on its way to Washing-
ton. In the former was Warren W. Chamberlain,
of Lower Red Hook, Lieutenant in the line. In
the latter, Frederic de Peyster, Jr., of Tivoli, aged
18, Jmiior Assistant Surgeon.

Almost simultaneously with this enlistment on
the 23d-28th of April, the Ulster Guard, 20th N.
Y. S. M., was likewise in march for the theatre of
hostilities. Eight young men from the village of
Madalin volunteered in it, and eight more from
the town in this and other regiments. These true
patriots, who deserve to be remembered by their



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



fellow townsmen, were Andrew Decker, Charles
Decker, Charles Houghtailing, Montgomery Mar-
shall, Adam Moore, Charles Statley, William H.
Stocking.* The second eight were, John Clark,
Edward Curtis, LeGrand Curtis, Patrick Hayes,
William Holdridge, George Kelly, Stephen Sher-
wood, John Vradenburgh.

Previous to the month of August, 1862, volun-
teering in the town of Red Hook was only the
result of individual, patriotic impulse. This ren-
ders the enlistments in the spring of r86i the
more remarkable, inasmuch as they were the result
of mere energetic thought and action, and conse-
quently, are the more worthy of attention and
record.

On the 25th of October, when the 20th N. Y. S.
Militia returned to the field as the Both New York
Volunteer Infantry, there were twenty-five young
men from Tivoli, Madalin, and their vicinity in
Company B, besides others in Company A, and
dispersed throughout the organization. This consti-
tutes one of Red Hook's three representative regi-
ments. As representatives of this town in the
above regiment, the following have been reported :
Andrew Decker, before mentioned, enlisted three
consecutive times and served faithfully until killed
under Sheridan at Cedar Creek, in the Shenandoah
Valley, October 19, 1864; Charles Decker; Mont-
gomery Marshall ; Adam Moore ; Edward Snyder,
afterwards deserted ; Charles Statley, enlisted three
consecutive times, and came home Orderly Ser-
geant; William H. Stocking, served faithfully three
enlistments, at Gettysburg was shot through the
leg above the ankle, and wounded so severely that
he was oifered his discharge, but refused it.

In the fall of i86i, the Ulster County Guard
again took the field as a regular United States
Volunteer Regiment, and was known as the
Eightieth New York Volunteers. There were
twenty-five men from the Upper District of Red
Hook in Company B. Their names were as fol-
lows : —

Wansbrough Bloxham, shot through the arm
while carrying the colors at Gettysburg; John
Decker, shot by accident at Upton Hill, opposite
Washington, died March 21, 1862, brought home
and buried at the Old Red Church, north^st of
Madalin ; Oswald Decker, wounded with a buck-
shot in the breast at Manassas ; Morgan Denegar;
Charles Garrison ; Theodore Garrison, shot through
fleshy part of the thigh at Manassas; Christian
Grantler, Sr., died after his return home from

* One deserted.



the effects of severe service ; Christian Gruntler,
Jr., died of wounds received at Manassas ; John
Hatton ; William H. Hoffman ; George W. Kelly,
killed at Manassas ; Alfred Lasher, killed at Man-
assas; Peter W. Lasher; Robert McCarrick;
Charles Macriff, wounded twice, slightly in the arm
under Burnside at Fredericksburg ist, and above
the forehead at Gettysburg, was finally appointed
Sergeant ; James (or Jacob) Minkler ; Adam
Moore, twice severely wounded ; Frederic Over-
mier, (Sergeant,) twice wounded, slightly in the
breast at Manassas, August 30, 1862, and in the
foot at Gettysbiu-g ; David A. Paulmatier ; Lewis
Redder, killed at Manassas, August 30, 1862 ;
Hiram Risedorf, died of typhus fever at Upton
Hill, opposite Washington, and was buried at Falls
Church, Va. ; Frederic Simmons ; John H. Swartz ;
Rufus Warringer, killed at Antietam, September
17, r862; David Wool, (colored). In Company
A, which was entirely composed of Duchess county
men, there were several, perhaps quite -a number
from the Lower District of Red Hook. Their
names have never been furnished, nor have
we any means of ascertaining them. From the
Upper District there were two brothers : Marcellus
Stocking and William H. Stocking.

The other enlistments in 1861 were as fol-
lows : —

20^5 N. Y. S. J^— Leonard B. Curtis, Con-
rad Cookingham, Silas A. Garrison, John W.
Moses, Marcellus Stocking, Frederic Simmons,
Daniel L. Scott.

32(/ iV: K Infantry, Co. Z).— Richard E. Bar-
ringer, (Sergt.,) Virgil Coon, George Cole, John
Carrigan (dead), Absolom Dederick, John Gib-
son, William Husted, Richard Haircout (died in
service), Patrick Higgins, Carlis Hoffman, George
L. Holmes (died at David Island, JJ. Y., Oct 8,
1862), Augustus Kipp, George Lown, John P.
Lown, Ludlow Lewis, Amos Ludlow, Reuben
Miller, William Near, Adam Plass, Edward Swart
(wounded at battle of Antietam Sept. 17, 1862,
discharged Dec. 19, 1862), Philip E. Strobel,
John Vradenbergh, Ephraim Wagner (wounded in
leg), John W. Waldorf, James Winford.*

tth N. Y. Infantry, Co. ^.— John Elenberger,
Henry Feller (wounded and discharged by reason
of disability), Edward R. Holt (promoted to Cor-
poral Sept. I, 1861, to Sergeant Dec. i, i86x, to
Orderly Sergt. June r, 1863, wounded at Gettys-
burg July 2, 1863, discharged at end of term.



* All not otherwise mentioned were honorably discharged at expiration
of term of service.



TOWN OF RED HOOK.



Oct. 2, 1864), James Harris, George Lovejoy,



Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 41 of 125)