James H. (James Hadden) Smith.

History of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 49 of 125)
Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 49 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


of that year. His successor was Rev. E. D. Craft,
who began his labors October 6, 1878. He re-
mained one year and then moved to Kansas. The
present incumbent, the Rev. Joseph Burnett, en-
tered upon his duties with the church March i,
1880. The membership of the church is about
sixty.

The church officers are : Pastor, Joseph Burnett ;
Deacons, W. W. Husted, J. Massey ; Church Clerk,
W. W. Husted; Superintendent of Sunday School,
J. Massey.

The Society of the Church of the Regeneration
was formally organized November 14, 1859. On
a previous Sunday, November 6, the following
public notice had been given : —

"That a meeting of all persons attached to or
desirous of attaching themselves to the, Protestant
Episcopal Church, will be held in this place on
Monday, 14th inst, at 10 o'clock a. m., for the
purpose of organizing a Parish by the election of
Wardens and Vestrymen, in accordance with the
Statute of the State of New York, made and pro-
vided for the organization of Parishes in com-
munion with the Protestant Episcopal Church.
" Signed,

Samuel Deuel,
H. F. Smith,
Theron Wilber."

The books of record contain the following : —

" Pine Plains, Duchess County, N. Y.
" This is to certify that we whose names are here-
unto annexed do attach ourselves to the Protestant
Episcopal Church of this place, under the present
pastoral charge of the Rev. Samuel K. Miller,
Missionary of the Parish of St. Peters of Lithgow,
in the town of Washington, N. Y.

H. F. Smith, Theron Wilber,

Samuel Deuel, R. Peck,

Lawrence Banett, Jas. Henry Pitcher,
Silas I. Deuel, Josiah Johnson.

" This is to certify that the above named per-
sons are acknowledged by me as members of the
church, and duly authorized to act in the formation
of a Parish and church at this place.

" Signed, Nov. 14, 1859.

Samuel K. Miller."

At this meeting of November r4, 1859, the fol-
lowing officers were elected : Vestrymen,— Samuel
Deuel, Phoenix Bockee, Edward Huntling, Silas I.
Deuel, Horace Vibbert, Richard Peck, Lawrence
fianett, James H. Pitcher ; Wardens,— Theron
Wilber, H. F. Smith.



At this meeting the name and title of the church
was chosen as " The Church of the Regeneration."
The corner-stone of the church edifice was laid
Wednesday, August 5, i860. Rev. James Starr
Clark, of Madalin, laid the stone. Rev. Samuel
Buel, of Christ Church, Poughkeepsie, delivered
the sermon. Rev. Frederic Sill, together with
others of the clergy, took part in the services.

Rev. Frederic Sill was the first rector to hold
services in this locality, at the Bethel, his first ser-
vice being held on the first Sunday in Advent,
1857. Rev. Samuel K. Miller officiated frorn
August I, 1859, to the spring of i860. After
which, and before the Rev. Mr. Pattison came,
the services were conducted by Rev. William A.
Leach, of Copake, two Sundays, the Rev. James
Starr Clark, of Madalin, one Sunday.

Rev. Eugene. C. Pattison came June 6, i860.
His first service was on the first Sunday after Trinity,
June 10, i86o. He remained until April, 1863.
Thereafter for some months services were con-
ducted by different rectors, and in that year a call
was extended to Rev. Mr. Kenney, who came and
stayed a short time. The next rector was Rev. J.
H. Nimmo. The church is now {1881) without a
pastor. The membership is small, and no regular
services are held.

A few miles from the village is the Christian
Church of Pine Plains. This church was organized
November 7, 1858, at a special meeting held at
the house of Stephen Tomkins. The constituent
members were Stephen Tomkins, Benjamin Wil-
ber, Ury Hicks and others, who, by Elder Philetus
Roberts and R. B. Eldridge, were duly organized
a Christian Church. The following were elected
officers of the church: Deacons, Benjamin Wilber.
Stephen Tomkins; Trustees, Jeptha S. Wilber,
Samuel O. Hicks, Stephen Tomkins ; Clerk, Ben-
jamin Wilber. The act of organization was re-
corded in the Clerk's office of Duchess County,
October 22, i860. The church edifice was built
in 1859 by John W. Link, and was dedicated by
Eli Fay, of Yellow Springs, Ohio, June 16, 1859.
The following have been pastors in this church :—
Rev. Philetus Roberts, Stanfordville.
Rev. R. B. Eldridge, Milan,

Rev. W. B. Hote,
Rev. Gardner Dean, "

Rev. George B. Fuller,
Rev. L. D. Worth, "

Rev. J. Q. Evans, supply, Schultzville. ,.
These from the Biblical Institute at Stanford-
ville, have acted as supplies : Wellington Stearns,
James Wright, Thomas Holmes, D. M. Fuller,







>'•/•




*" s -SSi •* -J




( s



11 i



»^.;!«,




iiiM,. S, 'f




1





TOWN OF PINE PLAINS.



237



Wm. Lane, A. Henry, E. A. Hainer, W. F. Peters,
Thos. A. Quaile, and W. C. Rimer, the present in-
cumbent. The present membership is sixty-two.
Town Meetings.

The first town meeting after the formation of
the town was held at the house of Israel Reynolds
on Tuesday, April 1st, 1823.

The following has been the succession of Super-
visors and Clerks : —



1823

1824-25

1826.

1827.

1828.

1829.

1830.

1831.

1832.

1833-
1834.

1835-
1836.

1837.

1838.

1839.

1840.

1841.

1842.

1843.

i844-'4S.

1846.

1847.

1 848-' 49.

1850.

1851.

1852.

1853-54

1855-

1856.

1857.

1858.

1859.

i860.

186 r.

i862-'63.

1864.

1865.

i866-'67.

1868.

1869.

1870.

1871.

1872.

1873.
1874.

1875-

i876-'77.

1878.

1879.

1880.

1881.



Supervisors

Israel Harris,
. R. W. Bostwick,
Israel Harris,

do do
Ely Hambhn,
Samuel Russell,
R. W. Bostwick,

do do

do do

Daniel Sherwood,
Edward Huntling,
Wm. H. Bostwick,
Daniel Sherwood,
Wm. H. Bostwick,
Abraham Dibble,

do do

Backus Culver,
H. R. Hammond,

do do

Fred'k T. Ham,
William Eno,

do do
John H. Mosher,
do do



Clerks.

Reuben W. Bostwick.
Henry Husted.
Chas. W. Bdstwick.
Niles Hartwell.
Adam Streever.

do do
Benj. Streever,
Niles Hartwell.
William Woodin.
Wm. H. Bostwick.

do do

Adam Streever.

do- do
Samuel B. Fairchild.

do do

Henry C. Myers.

do do

Benj. Streever.
David Dikeman.
Hiram Fish.
Aaron E. Winchell.
Hiram H. Davis.

do do

Wm. H. Hoffman.



Edward Huntling, Wm. Angevine.



do do

do do

Anthony Pulver,
Walter Herrick,
John Righter,
John H. Mosher,
H. W. Pulver,
Eli Knapp,
do do
John Thompson,



Wm. W. Smith.
George Bunnell.

do do

do do

Giles H. Duxbury.
William H. Smith.

do do

do do

Perry Loucks.
do do



Cornelius Pitcher, Henry Silvernail.
Walter W. Husted, C. H. Reynolds.
Cornelius Pitcher, do do



A. D. Miller,
C. H. Reynolds,

do do

do do
John A. Herrick,



do do
Silas I. Deuel.
George M. Keller.
Robert D. Hicks.
George M. Keller.



Phoenix N. Deuel, Niles J. Engelke,
John A. Herrick, Jay Jackson.
Henry H. Ham, - - -

William Toms,

do do

William B. Jordan

do do

do do



Edward E. Place.
Irving W. Rowe.
B. VanBenschoten.
Edward C. Dibble.
Robert D. Hicks.
George M. Keller.



Pine Plains in the Rebellion.

In that eventful struggle, although a large num-
ber entered the service, no record was kept of the
enlistments. The few names here given were
gathered partly from official records at large, and
partly from the citizens of the town.

150/^ N. Y. S. Vol. Infantry, Co. Z».— Captain,
William R. Woodin; ist Sergeant, Thomas F.
Handy; 2d Sergeant, William B. Hayes; 3rd
Sergeant, John M. Rowe ; Privates, Daniel Bishop,
John Brennan, Morgan Clum, Samuel B. Fish,
James C. Keefer, John M. Mackay, William Mcin-
tosh, William B. Phillips, William Scott, Sidney F.
Wilkinson, David B. Wheeler, Peter Weaver, Jesse
B. Foster, John W. Jones, James H. Corray,*
George Haight,* Calvin Rowe,* Walter Allen
(died), Daniel Glancy (died), Joseph E. Near
(died).

Companies unknown. — William Owens, Michael
Rowe.

128M Regiment, Co. B. — H. A. Courtney, Nich-
olas P. Hammond, Walter A. Loucks, John S.
Pitcher, James Story, George Story.

Co. D. — Philetus Kater, John Scherman, Mi-
chael Fitzgerald, Albert Kellerhause.

Co. i?.— WiUiam J. Allen,t John H. Hosier,
Everett Knickerbacker,t Byron Stacey, John C.
Thome, James H. Washburne.

47^/5 Regiment. — George Loucks, Jr., Nelson
Killmer, Hiram Pulver, Niles J. Engelke, Michael
O'Mara, Pulver Cline, Frederick Davis, William
Hiserodt.

Scattering. — Sanford Near, Reuben Clume, 3d
N. Y. Battery ; Wm. Clume, 3d N. Y. Battery ;
Perry Knickerbacker, Richard Knickerbacker,
William Johnston, Richard Smith, D. Johnston,
Grosvenor Smith, Charles Davis, Edward Ham,
Henry Hammond, Walter Stocking.



^



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH.



James T. Germain, Robert D. Hicks.



WILLIAM S. ENO.

William S. Eno is descended from a line of legal
and prominent men. His grandfather, Stephen
Eno, who is mentioned more fully in the general
history of the town, became a resident of Pine
Plains at an early day, and ranked high as a citizen
and a jurist. His family consisted of four sons all

•Those marked with an asterisk had been transferred to other regi-
ments and to the Veteran Reserve Corps,
t Died April 14, '86j.
t Sentenced for ten years to Dry Tortugas for desertion.



238



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



of whom attained their majority. William Eno,
the father of the subject of this sketch, became a
lawyer and succeeded to his father's practice.
William S., studied law with his father and on the
2d of January, 1849, was admitted to the bar, since
which time he has followed his profession in con-
nection with the numerous business enterprises in
which he has been engaged. In 1850 he married
Jennie, daughter of Rev. Thomas Ellis, a minister
of the M. E. Church, by whom he had three chil-
dren : Belle, Minnie and NeUie. The first daugh-
ter married William Bostwick, of Pine Plains.
Minnie married C. W. Frost, of Amenia, and NelUe
became the wife of E. R. Underwood, of Pough-
keepsie.

In the year 1858, the Stissing Bank was organ-
ized in .the village of Pine Plains, and in 1864,
William S. Eno became its president. In 1865,
the bank was incorporated as a National Bank,*
with Mr. Eno as its president, which position he
stills retains. In 1878, he built the fine and capa-
cious residence which he now occupies, a view of
which appears in connection with thissketch. The
building contains all the modern improvements,
possesses all the comforts and conveniences of a
city residence of the first class, and is an orna-
ment to the beautiful and thriving village in which
it is situated.



CHAPTER XXI.
History of the Town of North East.

THE town of North East Ues on the extreme
northeast border of the County. It is
bounded northerly by Ancram (Columbia county;)
on the east by Connecticut ; on the south by
Amenia; and on the west by Pine Plains and
Stanford. Its name was derived from its geo-
graphical position in the County. The surface is
hilly and broken, while along the eastern border
extend the Taconic Mountains.

In old documents this name is written Tachhan-
ick, Taghhanick, Tahkanick, Tachkanick, and
some other ways. "It is probably impossible
now," says Isaac Huntling, " to get the true Indian
word and its signification, as in this case, like
many others, the true Indian word has been cor-
rupted and abbreviated for the convenience of
writing and ease of pronunciation by the early
settlers." The stream running through the gorge
at Bash Bish, having its origin on the mountain
elevations in the town of Washington, was the In-
dian Tankhanne or Takhanne, "the Small
Stream," as it united with a greater near what is
now Copake village, the site, or near it, of the
" Toghkanick " of Colonial times. It is presum-

*See History of Stissing Bank, page zji.



able that the mountain as well as the old village
derived its name from this stream. Probably the
oldest document containing this word is " Frag-
ment of an Indian deed, 17th Feb., 1687," (Doc.
Hist. N. Y., Vol. 3, p. 628), where it is written,
" Toghhanick," " Tachhanick," and " Tachhanik,"
which evidently are corruptions of the old Indian
name of this stream, Tankhanne or Takhanne.
Confirming this view it is significant that in this
old document the second syllable commences in
every instance with the " h " instead of the " k,"
which is an additional recent corruption and now
used in the word " Toghkanick." This view leads
to the conclusion that the mountain,the old village
and the surrounding country, repeatedly referred
to in the Livingston papers, derived their names
from this stream. It was a stream probably as
greatly celebrated among the Indians before the
appearance, of the white man as well as after.
That the surrounding lands were thus named is
proven by the records. It was applied to the
" Flats " west of the mountains, and to other lands
embraced in the Livingston patents for some con-
siderable distance northwest and south, and was
applicable and appropriate, so far as the papers
show, to them as to the mountain. The name as
applied to this range, according to the earliest
records, had reference only to the mountain
locality adjoining the stream mentioned. The
prominent points north and south had other Indian
names. The Moravians who established missions
in New York and Connecticut in 1740, put the
name " K'takanahschan," and give the signification
simply as " Big Mountain," which is really no sig-
nification. Others give it from the Indian signify-
ing " Mountain of trees," but the opinion is inclin-
ed to, that the name is derived from the stream
which has its origin on its highest plateau and
summits, and is applied to the "mountain as local
and not generic. The deviation being so in-
definite there has appeared among intelligent
writers a tendency to transpose the spelling to the
plain English Taconic and not mutilate with a
mongrel " Taghkanick," our own language, and
also that of the race which now lives in the dreams
of romance.

North East was formed as a town, March 7,
1788; Milan was taken off in 1818, and Pine
Plains in 1823. North East Precinct was formed
from the North Precinct, Dec. 16, 1746, and em-
braced the Little or Upper, Nine Partner's Tract.
In the earlier or Precinct records is found the fol-
lowing : —



TOWN OF PINE PLAINS.



239



"On the loth day of April, 1769, Then the
Overseers of the Poor of the North East Precinct
for the year 1768 meet at the Dwelling House of
Caleb Atwater in said Precinct and Rendered their
accounts for the said year 1768, being examined
and allowed by Elisha Colver, one of his Majesty's
Justices of the peace in said precinct, and for
Duchess County, viz : Hantice Couse, James At-
water, John Truesdell, and John Collins, Overseers.
First agreed Between the overseers of the Poor,
Esq. Colver and John Collins, that the said Collins
shall pay unto the Overseers for the poor of the
Precinct two pounds. Money of New York, for the
service of the wife of Jacob Carpender for the
year ensuing.

"Second, agreed that John Truesdell shall take
old Ellis' wife and keep her at the rate of _;^i5 qr.
year.

" Hendrick Hoffman's am't examined & allowed
for the maintainance of John Ellis & wife
^30: 17: 6."

The earliest settlers in that portion of the Ob-
long now contained within the boundaries of
North East, from 1-730 to 1737, when the first
civil divisions of the county were made, were
simply inhabitants of the State of New York,
freeholders perhaps, but it is doubtful if they were
tax-payers, for they were not included even in
North precinct until December 17, 1743, at which
time Beekman's, Crom Elbow, South and North
Precincts were extended across the Oblong to the
Connecticut line. North East Precinct first ap-
pears with definite boundaries December 16, 1746,
being bounded on the south by the northern line
of the Great Nine Partners Tract, granted to Caleb
Heathcote and others, May 7, 1697, and by an east
line from the northeast corner thereof to Connecti-
cut, and on the west by the westerly line of the Little
Nine Partners Tract, the patent of which was
granted to Sampson Boughton and others, April
10, 1706. Hence adjoining North East Precinct
on the south, from its formation until Masch lo,"
1762, when Amenia Precinct was formed, was
Crom Elbow Precinct. By an act of March 7,
1788, the north lines of Amenia and Washington
are described as the north line of Lower or Great
Nine Partners Tract, and the easterly line of
Rhinebeck as the westerly line of the Little or
Upper Nine Partners, and " all that part of the
said County of Duchess bounded westerly by
Rynbeck, northerly by the County of Columbia,
easterly by the Connecticut and southerly by the
towns of Washington and Amenia shall be and
hereby is erected into a town by the name of
North East Town." Notwithstanding that act,
the then town clerk persisted in keeping the old



name, for his records say "town meeting was held
at the house of Cornelius Elmendorph, on Clinton
Plains, for the North East Precinct, on the first day
of April, 1 788." These, then, were the boundaries
of North East for about thirty years, until Milan
was set off in i8i8, and 1823 when 18,176 acres
were taken off for the erection of the town of
Pine Plains.

Among the earliest settlers was Samuel Eggles-
ton, who located in the vicinity of what is now
known as Spencer's Corners, and who was the an-
cestor of all the families in North East who bear
that name. The emigrant ancestor of that name
was Bigot Eggleston, who was born in Exeter,
England, in 1585, and who in 1630 came to Dor-
chester, Mass., bringing his twin sons, James and
Samuel, aged ten years. In 1635 he removed to
Windsor, Conn. In 1661 Samuel married Sarah,
daughter of Nicholas Disbro, of Weathersfield,'
Conn., and settled in Middletown, in that State,
where he died in February, 1691, leaving his real
estate to his eldest child, Samuel, born March 6,
i662-'63, who on the 8th of July, 1703, married
Patience Payne, and by her had eight children-
Samuel, John, Joseph, Susannah, Abigail, Sarah,
Patience and Mary. Samuel died in Middle-
town, Dec. 24, 1736. Some time prior to his
death (Feb. 9, i727-'28) he had executed a deed
of certain premises situated in Middletown, to his
said son, Samuel, with this proviso— that the prem-
ises should not be sold except upon the recom-
mendation of two judicious persons. This restric-
tion so displeased young Samuel that he refused to
have anything to do with the land thus conveyed,
although he had in part paid for the same. Very
soon thereafter he married Abigail Ribbins and
removed to Salisbury, (now North East, as the
boundary line was changed,) and there reared
John, Martha, Abigail, Joseph, Prudence, Nicholas,
Benjamin, Amos, Ruth, and Samuel, born June 8,
1738, [O. S.,J who married Hester Buck, daughter
of Israel Buck, of Amenia, March 18, 1761, and
who is the ancestor of all thefamihes of that name
in this section of the country. He died January
24, 1822, and Hester, his wife, died January 10,
1828. They were buried in the cemetery near
Spencer's Corners.

The Dakin family * came here from what is now
known as Putnam County. Elder Simon Dakin

* The major portion of the facts relating to early settlers was taken
from MS. of Alanson Colver written in 1874, and furnished through the
kindness of James Winchell, whose influence had induced Mr. Colver to
put on paper his knowledge of the early history of North East. Aiansoq
Colver died Oct. 24, 1874, aged 84 years.



24°



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



came to North East about 1776, and formed the
first Baptist church at Spencer's Corners. He had
three sons, Joshua, Caleb and Simon ; Joshua mar-
ried and had two sons, Jacob and Benjamin, and three
daughters. Caleb had one son, also nanied Caleb,
and a number of daughters. Simon had six sons,
Ebenezer, Harvey, James, Homer, David, Talma,
and three daughters, Ruth, Hannah and Phebe.

Three brothers of the name of Colver came from
France and settled in this country. By some of
them the name was spelled Culver. It is supposed
that all the families of that name in this section of
country descended from these brothers. Some of
them settled in the western part of Massachusetts,
and the historical accounts of the early settlers of
that State speak of a family who spelled the name
Colver. Elisha Colver was a descendent of one of
these three brothers. He lived at one time near
the old Baptist Church near Spencer's Corners, and
at one time on a farm afterward owned by Noah
Gridley, called the Eggleston farm. He and his
wife were members of the Episcopal Church. He
was a Justice of the Peace under King George the
Third, and used to do a great deal of the legal
writing for the inhabitants of the town. In the
family of Alanson Colver is a deed drawn up by
him 117 years ago. He had three sons, Elisha, Jr.,
Joseph and John, and four daughters, Hannah,
Sarah, Martha and Polly. His son, Elisha, mar-
ried Betsy Ketcham, and had three sons, Henry,
Elisha and Hiram. The first went south, the sec-
ond went to Brooklyn, and Hiram became a sea
captain and died on his passage from Batavia to
Philadelphia. His son, Joseph, married Miss Reed,
a relative of James Reed, of SaUsbury, by whom
he had two sons and one daughter. John Colver
became a Methodist minister. He was received
into the Methodist Church July 8, 1788, and was
licensed as an exhorter by the Rev. John Blood-
good, July 31, 1790. He was accepted as a local
preacher by Rev. Freeborn Garretson, August 7,
1 79 1. He was ordained Deacon by Bishop Asbury,
July 14, 1793, and as Elder, May 17, 1829. He
was an ordained minister for 44 years, and was 72
years, 5 months and 20 days old when he died,
July 23, 1835. When he began to preach there
were but few Methodists in this part of the coun-
try. He used to hold his meetings in private
houses, school houses and barns, as the Methodists
had no church in the town. Besides preaching
here he held services in the surrounding towns.
• From his journal it is learned that he married
over two hundred couples, and it is supposed he



preached over eight hundred funeral sermons. He
was preacher at the time of the epidemic in Ancram
when the death rate averaged three per week.

Thomas Haywood came to this town about the
year 1802. He had five sons and nine daughters,
the most of whom, together with himself and wife,
were members of the Methodist church. At his
house were held once a fortnight the services of
the itinerant Methodist preachers. About this
time a man named Williams died and gave his
property to School District No. 3, for the erection
of a school house. Toward this project Thomas
Haywood agreed to give $50.00, provided the
district would build a house large enough for re-
ligious services. The offer was accepted and in
1807 the school house- was built. Mr. Haywood
was a resident of this town twelve or fourteen years,
when he moved to Pleafant Valley, where he died.

Josiah Halstead lived on what was known as the
Wilcox Place. He was a blacksmith and worked
at his trade. Before the year 1800 he moved to
the town of Ancram, near tbe line, where he en-
gaged in farming. He had six sons, Benjamin,
John, Samuel, Joel, Joseph and James, and three
daughters, Nancy, Betsey and Lavina. John was
a man of considerable abiUty. He studied medi-
cine under Dr. Dodge, and died of consumption
when young.

Elisha Driggs came from Middletown, Conn.
He was a tanner and currier, and lived on the
James Halstead place. He married Charity Dakin,
a daughter of Joshua Dakin, and moved to near
Cooperstown about the year 1800.

Among the prominent famiUes of North East
was that of the Winchell's, descendants of Robert
Winchell, who came to Dorchester, Mass., as early
as 1634, and removed to Windsor, Conn., about
1635. He died January 3i, 1669, and his wife
died July 10, 1655. The first to settle in this
town was James Winchell who located on what is
known as Winchell Mountain, in 1760. He came
from Turkey Hills to North East a little before at-
taining his majority. His father, Martin, is said
to have aided him in effecting a location. Wheth-
er from a love of mountain slopes and mountain
summits, imbibed from a residence upon the flanks
of the "Turkey Hill Mountain," or "Copper
Mountain, " or from a shrewd intuition of the ex-
traordinary attraction of the soil and the situation,
James and his father seem to have alighte^ upon a
mountain farm which certainly must have appeared
in their day infinitely less inviting than the industry
of thrqe generations has made it. " Winchell Moun-



TOWN OF PINE PLAINS;



241



tain," so called from the family which has contin-



Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 49 of 125)