James H. (James Hadden) Smith.

History of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 55 of 125)
Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 55 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Froelich (now Fraleigh), a member of which,
Stephen Froelich, was a freeholder, and the only
one of the name in what is now the town of
Rhinebeck, in 1723, and who doubtless was the an-
cestor of all the Frolichs and Fraleighs who have
had existence arid are now living in Duchess
County ; the family of Schriber (now Schryver),
a member of which, Alburtis Schriber, undoubtedly
the first of the name here, was a freeholder, and
the only person of the name in what is now Rhine-
beck, in 1723. He was probably the ancestor of
all who bear that name in Duchess and Ulster
counties, and possibly in all the State. He was a
German, and doubtless a Palatine. His wife was
Eva Lauerman, A tombstone in the cemetery of
the Reformed Dutch Church says: Mrs. Eva
Schryver died July 28, 1817, aged 87. There is
none to the memory of her husband. John T.
Schryver, for many years a prominent and success-
ful business man in Rhinebeck, was a descendant
from Alburtis Schriber, the Palatine, but through
which one of the sons is not positively known. His
father was Jacob Schryver. His mother's name
was Ten Broeck. He married Helen Conklin.
Their children were Nicholas Van Vranken,
Mathew Van Benschoten, George Washington,



and Rachel. Nicholas died unmarried. Mathew
married, first, Margaret Teller, second. Miss
Sleight. George married Maria Fellows, whose
ancestors, on both her father's and mother's side,
were Palatines. Rachel married Stephen A. DuBois.
Mathew is childless. George died leaving one son
and three daughters. Rachel and her husband are
both dead, and have left but one child. Dr. John
C. Du Bois, of Hudson, N. Y.

The houses of the settlers in the wilderness of the
New World, we are told, were at first of the rudest
description. A square pit was dug in the ground,
after the shape of a cellar, six or seven feet deep.
This was cased around with timber, and Hned with
the bark of trees or something else to prevent the
caving in of the earth. This cellar was then floored
with plank and ceiled overhead. A roof of spars
was then reared, which was covered with green
sods or bark, so that they could live dry and warm
in their houses with their entire families for two,
three and four years. According to the Dutch
Secretary, Van Tienhoven, "the wealthy and prin-
cipal men in New England, in the beginning of the
colonies, commenced their first dwellings in this
fashion for two reasons : first, in order not to waste
time building, and not to want food the next sea-
son ; secondly, in order not to discourage poor,
laboring people, whom they brought over in large
numbers from Faderlandy Of the ninety-seven
people in Rhinebeck in 1723, nearly all who built
houses probably built them in this fashion. All
trace of them disappeared in • the next generation,
and the houses built later, and of stone, are all
that remain as the dwelling places of these pio-
neers. The house occupied by Abraham Brown,
south of Rhinebeck Village, was built, it is said,
in parts at different dates, the north part by Adam
Eckert, in 1719, and the south part in 1763. The
initials on the north part are " A. N. E." Peter
Brown's house, we are told, was built by Heerman
Brown, the common ancestor of those who bear
that name in Rhinebeck, in 1753. The stone
house now occupied by Jacob L. Tremper has a
stone inscribed "Jan Pier, 1774." The stone
house now owned by Ann O'Brian, on the post-
road in the south of Rhinebeck Village is on lands
leased to Johannes Benner in 1739, ^"'i ™^y ^^"^^
been built by him about this date. The house
known as " Old Tammany " was kept by a Kip in
1798, and the stone part of the house was prob-
ably built many years before this date. The date
on the knocker of the old Montfort Tavern is 1760.
The Bergh House, formerly the residence of



266



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



Major John Pawling, has a stone over the door
inscribed "J. P. N. P., July 4, 1761." The stone
house below Monroe's, now the property of Lewis
Livingston, once Van Steenburgh's, and later
Smith's Inn, is also an old house, but there exist
no records to tell us at what date it was built.

The Precinct records commence in 1748. In
that year eight justices of the peace, of whom one
was Arnout Velie, held a Court of General Ses-
sions at Poughkeepsie, and

" Ordered that all and every precinct clerk in this
county, to be chosen yearly on every first Tuesday
in April, do, within ten days thereafter, make due
return of the election of their respective precincts
of the officers chosen, on the said first Tuesday in
April, unto the clerk of the peace, under the pen-
alty of thirty shillings, to be paid by every such
precinct or town clerk omitting, the same to be re-
covered by the clerk of the peace, who is hereby
empowered to sue for and recover the same.
" Duchess County, ss: — After a true copy signed,
Pr. Henry Livingston, Clerk.
Pr. Johannes A. Ostrander, Precinct Clerk."
The first election in the precinct of Rhinebeck,
under this act, was thus recorded : —

^'■Duchess County, ss: — Att the election held in
Rynbeek precinct on the first thursday in Aprill,
and in the year Anno Dom. 1749, PURSUANT
by an act of General Assembly Made in the third
year of the reign of the late Majesties, King Will-
iam and Queen Mary, to the freeholders of said
county and precinckt, on behalf of themselves and
others, for the electing of officers for said pre-
cinckt of Rynbeek, the following officers of this
present year New Elected, viz : —

"Supervisor, Jan Van Deuse; Assessors, Ger-
rit Van Wagenen, PhiUp Feller ; Constables, Jo-
hannes Seever, Jacob Ostrander, Frederick Haaver ;
Masters of the Poor, Frederick Strydt, Roelof
Kip ; Pound Master, Johannes Kip ; Fence view-
ers, Jacob Sickenaer, Johannes Herkenburg,
Gerrit Van Wagenen ; Surveyors of the Highways,
Isaac Kip, Peter Tiepel, Joseph Craford, Michail
Siperlie, Godtvret Hendrick, John Maris, Lawrens
Rysdorf, Petrus VeUe, Joliannes Van Wagenen,
Christian Dederick.

Pr. Johannes Ostrander, Clerk."
From that date to the organization of the town
the precinct supervisors and clerks were as
follows : —

Supervisors.

John Van Dense i749-i7';i

Gerrit Van Benthuysen i7S2-i7i;i;

Petrus DeWitt 1756-1757

Gerrit Van Benthuysen i7i;8-i76o

Petrus DeWitt i^gj

Peter Van Benthuysen jy53

Peter Ten Broeck jy5,_jygg

John Van Ess 1767-1771

James Smith 1772-1774



John Van Ess , . 1 775

Peter DeWitt 1776-1780

Anthony Hoffman 1781-1785

Precinct Clerks.

Johannes A. Ostrander 1749-1756

Peter Ostrander 1757-1765

Abraham Glimph 1765

William Beam 1 766-1785

Lodowick Elsever 1 786

The town was organized March 7, 1788. From
that time to date the supervisors and clerks have
been as follows : —

Supervisors.

Peter Contine 1786-88

William RadclifF 1789-91

David Van Ness ^ 1792-94

Peter Contine, Jr 1795-97

Isaac Stoutenburgh 1 798-1 800

Andrew Heermance 1801-03

Peter Contine, Jr 1804-05

David Van Ness 1806-08

John Cox, Jr 1808-12

[Red Hook taken off June 2, 181 2. J

John Cox, Jr. 1813-18

Koert DuBoise 1819-20

Christian Schell 1821-24

Garret Van Keuren 1825-29

Isaac F. Russell 1830-32

Frederick I. Pultz 1833-34

Henry S. Quitman 1835-36

Conrad Ring ." 1837-39

John Armstrong Jr jg^o

James A. A. Cowles 1841-43

Nicholas B. Van Steenburgh 1844

Moses Ring 1845

Tunis Workman i846-«47

James Montfort 1848

Isaac I. Piatt J849

Jacob G. Lambert 1850

Ambrose Wager ^ 1851

James C. McCarty 1852

James Montfort 1853

John M. Cramer 1854-55

Richard B. Sylands 1856

Theophilus Nelson 1857

Richard J. Garrettson 1859

James C. McCarty 1860-61

Andrew J. Heermance •. 1862-63

Ambrose Wager 1864-65

Smith Quick 1866

William M. Sayer , 1867

Robert L. Garrettson 1868

Virgil C. Traver 1869-72

John G. Ostrom 1873

Joseph H. Baldwin 1874-76

James H. Kipp 1877-78

William Bergh Kipp 1879-80

Martin Heermance i88i



TOWN OF RHINEBECK.



267



Town Clerks.

David Elsever 1787-90

William Radclift, Jr 1791

Henry I>yle 1792

John Cox 1 793

Henry Shop 1794-1812

[Red Hook taken off.]

Henry Shop 1813-16

Henry F. Talmage 1817-19

Garret Van Keuren 1820

John Fowks, Jr 1821-25

Jacob Heermance 1826

William B. Piatt 1827-28

Henry De Lamater 1829-30

Henry C. Hoag 1831

Conrad Ring 1832-34

Stephen A. Uu Bois 1831;

Henry W. Mink 1836

Tunis Wortman 1837-43

George W. Schryver 1844

Tunis Wortman 1845

George W. Bard 1846-47

John C. McCarty 1848-49

Albert A. Rider , 1850-52

Tunis Wortman 1853

Albert A. Rider 1854

Tunis Wortman 1855

Harvey M. Traver 1856

Tunis Wortman 1857

Calvin Jennings 1 858

Tunis Wortman 1859

Geo. H. Ackert 1860-61

John D. Judson 1862

Geo. W. Hogan 1863

Simon Welch 1864

] araes A. Montfort 1865

' acob H. Pottenburgh 1866

Jacob Rynders 1867

Edward Brooks 1868

William H. Sipperly 1869-70

Tunis Wortman 1871-72

Jacob Rynders. 1873

William H. Hevenor 1874-76

Jacob H. Pottenburgh 1877-81

United States Senator from Rhinebeck.

John Armstrong, by appointment of the Gover-
nor in 1803; by election in 1804. Appointed
Minister to France in 1804^ and resigned the office
of Senator.

Representatives in Congress.

Egbert Benson 1st and 2d Congresses.

Isaac Bloom 8th Congress.

Philip J. Schuyler 15th Congress.

In 181 2 the towns of Rhinebeck and Clinton in
Duchess County, voted with Columbia county in
the election of a Member of Congress,



State Senators.

Anthony Hoffman 1788-90

Thomas Tillotson : 1791-99

Robert Sands 1797-1800

Peter Contine, Jr 1798-1801

Morgan Lewis 1811-14

Peter R. Livingston 1820-22, 1826-29

William Kelly 1856-58

Members OF Assembly.

Thomas Tillotson 1788-90

William Radcliff 1792-93

Philip J. Schuyler 1798

Abraham Adriance 1800-02

Koert DuBois 1810-11, 1820-21

David Tomlinson 1819

John Cox 1822

Peter R. Livingston 1823

John Armstrong, Jr 1825

Francis A. Livingston 1828

George Lambert 1833

Freeborn Garrettson 1838, 1845

Ambrose Wager 1855-58

Richard J. Garrettson i860

John N. Cramer 1864

Alfred T. Ackert 1868

Rhinebeck Village.

A map of Rhinebeck Flats, laid out in village
lots, was made by John Cox, Jr., as early as 1792.
In an old deed in the possession of Jacob L.
Tremper, we are told that on March 20, 1799,
Nathan Brownson and his wife sold to William
Tremper " all that certain lot of land * * lying
* * in the town of Rhinebeck, at the Flatts, and
distinguished in a map thereof, made by John Cox,
as lot No. II, beginning at the southwest corner of
Butler and Bartholomew's lot, known as No. 9."
This lot was bounded on one side by the post- road,
and contained one acre of land. In a deed to
WiUiam Carroll for the Mathias lot, all the west
side of the post-road, we are told that it was con-
veyed by Margaret Livingston to Abraham Adri-
ance, and by said Adriance to Henry Du Bois,
and known as lot number four in a survey made by
John Cox, Jr. A copy of a portion of this map,
covering the land laid out on the east side of the
post-road, shows that East Market street was laid
out as early as 1792, as far as the church lands,
now Mulberry street. In 1801, the commissioners
of highways carried this street through the church
lands as a public road, beginning at Ptiltz's corner,
which was then in the possession of Abraham
Brinckerhoff. In 1802, it became the Ulster and
SaUsbury turnpike. Before this date no evidence
can be found that there was a single building on



268



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



East Market street. The village seems to have been
laid out in acre lots. The southeast corner lot
extended south to the church lot, and the same
distance east, being an exact square, and was pur-
chased by Koert and Henry Du Bois. The next
lot east, also a square, was purchased by a Mr.
Jones, probably Gen. Montgomery's nephew. The
next lot east was purchased by Philip Bogardus,
probably son of Everardus. The northeast comer,
also a square acre, was purchased by John T.
Schryver and Tunis Conklin. The next square
east by Asa Potter, and the square next east of
his, by Frederick Kline. North, the lots had the
depth of two squares, and the width of half a
square. The lot next east to Schryver and Conk-
lin's comer was purchased by Gen. Armstrong.
The old building on the corner was built and used
for a store and postoffice before 1800, possibly
many years prior to that date. The old house re-
built by Dr. Van Vliet was the residence of Asa
Potter at an early date, and was probably built by
him. It was, at one time, the residence of Koert
Du Bois, and at another, of Henry F. Talraage.
The residence of Jacob Schaad was on the lot of
Frederick Kline, occupied by him at an early
date, and was probably built by him. The pur-
chasers of these acre lots subdivided them and
sold to other parties. On November 23, 1807,
Elisha R., son of Asa Potter, sold his lotto Peter
Brown and Christian Schell, then in the occupation
of Schryver and Conklin, and bounded westerly by
Spaulding and northerly by General Armstrong.
Whether Koert and Henry Du Bois built the first
store on their comer or not, is not learned. They
were merchants there at an early date, and had
for successors, John Fowks, Christian Schell, John
Davis, Henry and James Hoag, George Schryver,
John Benner, Moses Ring, George Fellows and
George Storm. John Benner rebuilt the corner,
and rented the second story to John Armstrong
for a law office. John T. Schryver, William Tel-
ler, Benjamin Schultz, Henry DeLamater, Free-
man Jennings, William Bates, Simon Welch and
John M. Sandford, were merchants on the north-
east corner. On the hotel corner Henry F. Tal-
mage. Smith Dunning, John C. Ostrom, Isaac F.
Russell, William Bates and George Bard, sold dry
goods, groceries and hardware at different times.
Piatt's comer was purchased by Christian Schell,
who erected the present stone building thereon.
It is not learned from whom he made the pur-
♦ chase. The old people here tell us that this was
an open field prior to this date. It was conveyed



to William B. Piatt by Richard Schell in 1835, and
is still in the possession of his family. The next
building west was for many years the well-known
store-house of William S. Cowles & Co., the first
proprietor of whom we get knowledge was James
Teller, whose executors conveyed it to Thomas
and Albert Traver. It is now owned by Martin
Dilchelman, and occupied by David E. Ackert,
mercantile successor to the Cowles Brothers.

Rhinebeck was incorporated as a village by
legislative enactment April 23, 1834. In 1867,
by an act of the Legislature passed that year, the
limits of the village were extended. The first
election for village officers was held May 22, 1834.
The officers elected were as follows : — Trustees,
Eliphalet Piatt, Peter Pultz, John Drury, John I.
Smith, John T. Schryver, Jacob Heermance, John
Jennings; Assessors,' John A. Drum, Theophilus
Nelson, Stephen McCartyj Treasurer, Nicholas
Drury.

On the 17th of June following, John T. Schry-
ver was elected president of the board of trustees,
and Nicholas V.- Schryver, secretary.

The following has been the succession of presi-
dents and clerks : —

Presidents. Clerks.

1834. John T. Schryver, Nicholas V. Schryver.

1835. do do Stephen A. DuBois.

1836. David Pultz, William I. Stewart

1837. Abraham DeLamater, do do

1838. John Benner, Tunis Wortman.
1839-40. do do William J. Stewart.

1841. Joshua Traver, Peter G. Quick.

1842. Barnet Wager, William J. Stewart.
■ 1843-44. John Benner, do do

1845. Henry DeLamater,* do do

1846-47. do do Tunis Wortman.

1848. John Benner, do do

1849. Stephen McCarty, do do

1850. John Benner, do do
1851-52. Henry DeLamater, James C. McCarty.

1853. John G, Ostrom, do do

1854. Ambrose Wager, do do
1855-57. Henry DeLamater, Tunis Wortman.
1858-60. John G. Ostrom, do do

1 86 1. N. W. H. Judson, do do

1862. Homer Gray, do do

1863. Martin L. Marquet, do do

1864. Reuben Hanaburgh, do do

1865. John G. Ostrom, George W. Hogan.

1866. Edwin Hill, James C. McCarty.

1867. Homer Gray, do do

1868. N. W. H. Judson, do do

1869. Rensselaer Barton, do do

1870. Eugene Wells, T. W. Bates
1 87 1., John G. Ostrom, do do

1872. William M. Sayre, Frank T. VanKeuren.



• To fiU vacancy e/are John Benner, resigned.



TOWN OF RHINEBECK.



269



1873. William M. Sayre, George Fellows.

1874. Benjamin Lansing, Chas. E. McCarty.

1875. E. M. Smith, do do

1876. George Esselstyn, Frank Van Keuren.
1877-81. do do Chas. E. McCarty.

In 1872 the people of Rhinebeck at a special
election voted to build a town hall.* Virgil C.
Traner was supervisor of the town in that year, and
his term of office being about to expire, the board
of town auditors, on the isthof February, 1873,
authorized him to superintend the construction of
the building until completed. It was finished in
that year, at a cost of $20,500. It is a handsome
and substantial edifice, and a credit to the town.

Newspapers. — The village contains one news-
paper, the Rhinebeck Gazette, the history of whose
origin is as follows : —

In 1844 a man named Robert Marshall, a Scotch-
man, started here a small sheet under the title of
the Rhinebeck Advocate. In the spring of 1846,
Edward M. Smith and Edward A. Camp started
the Rhinebeck Gazette, purchased the interest of
Marshall, and merged the Advocate into their newly
established paper. The Gazette was conducted
by Smith & Camp less than a year, when the former
bought out Camp's interest and conducted the paper
alone for about three years, or until February, 1849,
when he leased the establishment to William Luff
to the first of May, 1850. At the expiration of his
lease. Luff started a rival paper, under the name of
the Rhinebeck Gazette and Duchess County Adver-
tiser, and E. M. Smith re-assumed control of the
Rhinebeck Gazette, which he conducted several
months and then disposed of it to George H. Clark,
of Poughkeepsie, publisher of the American Me-
chanic. He continued the publication of the Gazette,
in connection with the Mechanic, for a number of
years. He finally bought out Luff's Gazette and
Advertiser, took his subscription list, and that paper
ceased to exist. The paper eventually passed into
the hands of Thomas Edgerley, who held a chattel
mortgage on it, and who conducted it until he dis-
posed of it to I-.IcGrath & Ackert in 1879, who are
the present editors and proprietors. It is a weekly,
of considerable merit, pubhshed every Saturday.

Libraries. — The Starr Institute had its virtual
origin in 1857, when in that year there was estab-
lished in the village a free reading-room and a cir-
culating library, in a small building opposite the
present edifice of the Institute. This experiment
of a free reading-room and circulating library, was
successful, and the founder was thereby encour-
aged to ensure their continuance, on a permanent

* The vote was 138 to Ii8 on that question.



basis, by the erection of the present commodious
and substantial building, which was completed in
1 86 2. On the 1 8th of April, that year, an act incor-
porating the Starr Institute and naming the first
trustees was passed by the Legislature, in which
the purpose of the corporation is declared to be
" to furnish facilities for the intellectual and moral
inprovement of the inhabitants of the town of
Rhinebeck." July 24, 1862, the first meeting of
the trustees was held to organize under the act of
incorporation. William Kelly was elected presi-
dent ; Theophilus Gillender, secretary, and N. W.
H. Judson, treasurer of the board.*

The Institute is a gift to the people from Mrs.
Mary R. Miller, a grand-daughter of Gen. Philip
Schuyler of Revolutionary fame, in memory of her
hustand, the Hon. William Starr Miller, who died
in New York in 1854.

The Institute property consists of the real and
personal property connected with the building,
and the lot on which it stands, which were con-
veyed to the Trustees by Mrs. Miller, by deed
bearing date May 20, 1862, delivered at the first
meeting of the Trustees, thus vesting the title ab-
solutely and forever in them for the benefit of all
the inhabitants of the town. The property was
purchased and this building erected and furnished,
at a cost of about $15,000. It contains a large
free public reading room, a circulating library, a
large and handsome lecture hall, and a kitchen and
dining hall in the basement. The second story
consists of one room, which is given to a standard
library. The price of membership is fifty cents
per year, which entitles the holder to draw books
from the circulating library, and to consult at his
leisure those in the standard library.

Schools. — The De Garmo Classical Institute
had its origin in the Rhinebeck Academy which
was established in 1840. Its existence as an
Academy was maintained, under different teachers,
until i860, when it became the property of Prof.
James M. De Garmo, under whose name it has
since been conducted. He erected the present
large and substantial building in 187 1. The school
has everywhere an excellent reputation for its
worth and prosperity.

The lands for the Union Free School were
procured and the building erected in 1869. The
districts were united and the school made free
several years earlier. The number of children in
the district between the ages of five and twenty-

* James A. A. Cowles, Freeborn Garrettson, Theophilus Nelson and
William Kelly, four of the members of the original Board, have died since
the organization.



270



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



one, is 655. The full valuation of property in the
district is $1,162,789.

Societies. — Rhinebeck Lodge, 432, F. and A. M.,
was organized July 9, 1 85 7. The charter was granted
June s, 1858. The first officers under the dispen-
sation were : Smith Quick, W. M.; James Hogan,
S. W.; DeWitt C. Marshall, J. W.; Richard R.
Sylands, Treas.; Ambrose Wager, Sec'y.; Henry
N. Taylor, J. D. The first officers under the
charter were : Smith Quick, W. M.; James Ho-
gan, S. W.; Homer Gray, J. W. The lodge has
fine rooms on Main street, in which it meets every
Friday evening.

Rhinebeck Lodge No. 162, L O. O. F., was
organized July 16, 1845. The charter members
were, Ambrose Wager, John Pultz, Edward Hold-
ridge, Woodward Frisbie, Jacob M. Hogan. The
first officers were: Ambrose Wager, N. G.; Wood-
ward Frisbie, V. G.j Edward Holdridge, Sec'y;
Jacob M. Hogan, Treas. The records of the
lodge were destroyed by fire in 1864. The order
is in good condition. The meetings are held every
Monday evening, in Judson's Building.

Hotels.— 7%« Rhinebeck Hotel is situated on
what were once the lands of William Traphagen,
who was the first owner of lands on Beekman's
Rhinebeck patent. These lands were purchased
from Henry Beekman, the elder, before 1706.
They reached from the Rhinebeck kill to the post-
road, and from the junction of Landsman's and
Rhinebeck kills in the saw-mill pond north of the
north bounds of the land sold by him to Jacob Kip
in 1706. The hotel corner fell to Arent Trapha-
gen at the death of his father, and at his own
death, about r769, it was conveyed by his heirs to
Everardus Bogardus, who was a merchant here, and
probably an inn-keeper also, from 1769 to the close
of the century. In 1802 the property was in the
posession of Benjamin Bogardus, and on October
7 th, in this year, was conveyed by him to Asa Pot-
ter, who, according to the Institute map, was an
inn-keeper in a house in the vicinity of the present
residence of Mrs. W. B. Piatt. Asa Potter died
October 9, 1805. November 25, 1807, Philip J.
Schuyler, as administrator of Asa Potter, sold the
property to Elisha R. Potter, of Kingston, Rhode
Island. November 1 1, 1834, Ehsha R. Potter sold
it to Richard Schell, who, on the first of May, 1837,
sold it to Jonathan Wilson. Sepember 7,' 1839^
David Seymour, Master in Chancery, sold it
to Elisha R. Potter, son of Elisha R. He, on
the^first of May, 1848, sold it to Garrett Van
Keuren, Henry DeLamater and William B. Piatt.



From 1802, when this property passed from the
possession of the family of Bogardus, to the pur-
chase by Van Keuren, DeLamater and Piatt, in
1848, it seems to have been in the possession, or
under the hen of the Potters. William Jacques, by
whose name the house was known during the most
of the period between 1805 and 1848, appears in
the old town records as early as 1794. He died
October 9, 1835, aged 67 years. The house ceased
to be Jacques' hotel in 1837. It was rebuilt a few
years since and greatly enlarged, and is now kept



Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 55 of 125)