James H. (James Hadden) Smith.

History of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 60 of 125)
Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 60 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


291



same time recognizes the right of others to determ-
ine their beliefs, and to enjoy the fullness of their
own honest convictions likewise ; so that, with him,
theological differences constitute no bar to good
fellowship. In the cause of temperance, morality
and humanity, his infliuence for many years has
been great ; and though, as an actor in human
event, he passed away, his work will abide to bless
the world. For truly his life has been one of honor
and of worth, and such a hfe is ranged on the side
of ultimate victory.



CHAPTER XXIV.



History of Stanford.



THE town of Stanford lies in the northern part
of the county, a little north and east from
the center. It is bounded on the north by Milan
and Pine Plains ; on the east by North East and
Amenia ; on the south by Washington, and on the
west by Chnton.

The chief bodies of water are Wappinger's
Creek, Hunn's Lake — formerly known as Thomp-
son's Pond, in the northeast, and Upton's Lake in
the southwest corner of the town, the latter deriving
its name from Paul Upton, one of the early pion-
eers of the town, who came from Lynn^ Massa-
chusetts, and settled near the lake. The highest
point is Carpenter Hill in the northeastern corner.
The soil of the town is a gravelly and slat^ loam.

The population of Stanford at the last census was
2,092.'*

This town, which was included in the Great Nine
Partners tract, granted to Caleb Heathcote and
others, May 27, 1697, was formed from Washing-
ton, March i3, 1793.

It is not known who were the first to settle in the
present limits of the town, but settlements were
made here some time previous to the year 1755,
by people who had immigated from Massachusetts.
In 1759, on some old church records, we find the
names of Ephraim and Comer Bullock, and these
are the earliest recorded names of which anything
is known.

The family of Dibble was a quite noted family
here at an early day. Christopher Dibble, the an-
cestor immigrated from Long Island and settled in
the northern part of Stanford, and, in 1782, built a
house on what is now the Titus farm. This house
was taken down some forty years ago. Many of
the descendants of Isaah Dibble, his son, are now

• In 1870, 1,216, 1875, 2,137.



living in Stanford and Pine Plains. In the old
family burial ground is his grave, bearing the fol-
lowing inscription : —

" In memory of Christopher Dibble, who died
May 27, 1804, in 63d yr. of his age."

And one

" In memory of Elizabeth Dibble, wife of above,
who died December i, 1803, M 70 yrs."

Isaah Dibble died in 1827.

The first town meeting for Stanford was held in
the dwelling house of Ephraim Paine in 1793. The
officers elected were: — James Tallmadge, Super-
visor; Solo [mon] Sutherland,Town Clerk; William
Cash, James Hildreth, Lewis Barton, Assessors;
John Sherwood, Collector; John Sherwood, William
Bockee, Benjamin Dimmie (or Dimmick,) Con-
stables ; Zachariah Mosher, Elias Walbridge, Over-
seers of Poor ; Gurdon Miller, Jeremiah Sherril,
John Thompson, Commissioners of Highways ; Wm.
R. Sutherland, Amos Knapp, Asa Allen, George
Adsit, Samuel Lovett, Pound-masters.

The following has been the succession of super-
visors and town clerks from 179S* to 1881 : —

Supervisors. Clerks.

1795. Ezra Thompson, Solomon Sutherland.

1796. Joseph Carpenter, Amos Knapp.

1797. Zachariah Mosher, Leonard Barton.

1798. do do Rufus Bark.
1799-1801. do do John R. Green.
1802. do do Amos Knapp.
1803-04. Isaac Huntling, do do
r8os-'o6. John Thompson, do do

1 807-' 1 2. Jeremiah Sherril, do do

1 8 13. do do Jonathan Haight.

i8i4.t

1815. do do Josiah Sutherland.

1816-17. Jehiel Sackett, Jonathan Haight.

1818-19. Leonard Barton, Henry Bushnell.

1820. do do John Purdy.

1821. Gilbert Thorne, Ebenezer Mott.
1822-23. do do John Purdy.

1824. Leonard Thompson, do do

1825. Jonathan Haight, do ' do

1826. do do Silas I. Deuel.
1827-28. Jacob Sisson,(?) Joseph Gildersleeve.

1829. Leonard Barton, do do

1830. do do Silas I. Deuel.

1831. Gilbert Thorne, Henry Gildersleeve.

1832. do do Wm. H. Stewart.

1833. Isaac Thompson, do do

1834. Benjamin Conger, do do

1835. do do Newton Deuel.

1836. Morgan Huntling, do do

1837. John Thompson, do do

1838. do do Wm. H. Stewart.
1839-40. Wm. H. Stewart, Newton Deuel.,

1 841. Harris Smith, Henry Tallmadge.

* 1794 does not appear in the records.

t Record lost from book, but probably Jeremiah Sherril was super



292



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



1842.

1843.

1844.

1845.

1846-

1847.

i848-'49.

1850.

1851.

1852.

1853.
1854.

i8SS-
1856.

1857.

1858.

1859.

i860.

1861.

1862.

1863.

1864.

1865.

i866-'67.

1868.

1869,

1870.

1871.

1872.

1873.
1874.

1875-
1876.

1877-79-
i88o-'8i.



Egbert Austiiij Morgan Huntling.

do do Nehemiah Halsted.
Rufus(?) Smith, Joseph Gildersleeve.
Steph'nG.Guerasey,Alonzo Buel.



John H. Otis,

do do
Orville Sackett,
Amos B. Knapp,*
Alfred Mosher,
Hafiry Rikert,
Ezra Bryan,

do do
Jacob B. Carpenter,
C. N. Campbell,



John S. Thorne.
Alonzo Buel.



do
do
do
do
do
Howard
do
do



do
do
do
do
do
T. Tripp,
do
do
do



E. M. Vanderburgh, do

do do Wm. H. Tripp.
Isaac S. Carpenter, Henry C. Haight.
C. N. Campbell, Wm. H. Tripp.
Isaac G. Sands, Wm. H. Cowdrey.

do do Wra. G. Odell.
Wm. H. Tripp, Edward B. Gregory.
George Peck, John N. Bullis.

Mulford Conklin, Charles Gregory.
Andrew C. Warren, Lewis Palmer.
Wm. H. Tripp, David Shelden.

do do T. Knickerbacker.
Mulford Conklin, Sands D. Underbill.
Andrew C. Warren, do do

do do Henry K. Sikes.

do do Sands D. Underbill.
Silas W. Germond, T. Knickerbacker.
Silas O. Rogers, J. E. Bowen.
Oliver K. Smith, T, Knickerbacker.
Isaac Carpenter, Joseph E. Bowen.
John W. Butts, T. Knickerbacker.

We find in these town books records of slave-
holding and slave births as late as 1817. The
first bears date May 16, 1801, and is a record of
the birth of a "male child, named Sigh, of Sail, a
negro slave to Israel Lewis, farmer," and recorded
May 24, 1802, by Amos Knapp, town clerk.

" Sept. the 13th, was born a male child, named
Simon, of Phebe, a negro slave to Daniel Lewis,
farmer. Recorded this ist day of Aug., 1803.
Amos Knapp, Clerk."

"Feb. the 3d 1799, was born a male child,
named Leonard, of Bills,.a Negro Slave to Gurdon
Miller, farmer, " and recorded April 3, 1804.

Another record certifies that
" Lewis Barton in the town of Stanford, in the
Co. of Duchess and State of New York, is Dis-
posed to manumit his Black woman named Rhoda,
being under the age of fifty years, and of sufficient
ability to Provide for herself, in our opinion.
"Stanford Town, March 26, 1805. .

Thomas Platt, ") Overseers
Jahael Sackett. J of Poor.
William Bell, Justice of Peace.
" Recorded this 27, d. March, 1805.

4 Amos Knapp, Clerk."

* No choice by electors, A. B. Knapp appointed by the justices.



Whether this liberation was the result of magna-
nimity, or whether the advancing age of the slave
foreshadowed a possible burden in the future, the
records unfortunately do not show, It was, how-
ever, in those days no uncommon thing for a slave
owner to shift the burden of responsibility from
his own shoulders to the shoulders of the many, —
to rid himself of the entire burden of a future tax
by liberating his slave to become at last a tax upon
the citizens at large. It would throw much light
upon the thoughts and feelings of people in those
times did we but know the motives which actuated
these liberations.

The succeeding Article of Freedom would seem
to indicate a spirit of magnanimity.

" Know all men by these presents, that I, Dan-
iel Lewis, of the town of Stanford, in Duchess
Co. & State of New York, d% this day manumit
my slave, Adonijah Buckingham, and set him at
his Liberty, to Do and Act for himself as a free
manj as witness my hand and Seal this 19 of
December, one thousand eight hundred and ten.
in presants of Asa A. Thompson,

"Accepted by us. Overseers of Poor of said town,
the above named Adonijah Buckingham as one of
the free men of said town.

Robert Rider "> Overseers
Asa H. Thompson ) of Poor.

"Recorded March the nth day, i8ii."

And a femal slave, .named Dine Varnam, is
likewise set free by Elizabeth Bunkerhoof.

The last of the records is of the birth of a
female child named Gin, of Susan, a negro slave
to Samuel Hunting, farmer, May 29, 181 7, and
recorded March 24, 1818, by Jonathan Haight,
town clerk.

The principal villages in the town are Stanford-
ville and Bangall. Attkbury P. O., in the north-
eastern part and Old Attlebury, in the northern
part, are names given to locaHties in the town
rather than names of hamlets. Attlebury is a rail-
road station. The postmaster here is Wesson
Haight.

Stissingville.

Stissing, or Stissingville, in the north-east, is at the
junction of the Poughkeepsie, Hartford & Boston,
and the Newbiirgh, Duchess & Connecticut rail-
roads. Samuel Ambler is the postmaster and only
merchant here.

McIntyre.

Mclntyre is also a station on the Poughkeepsi^
Hartford & Boston Railroad. The postmaster
here is J. W. Butts. Willett Hicks is the only
merchant.



TOWN OF STANFORD.



293



Hulls Mills P. O.

Hulls Mills P. O., in the eastern part of the
town, contains one store and a few scattered dwell-
ings. The postmaster is Smith P. Tompkins,
appointed some twelve years ago. The merchant
is Simon Losee, who has been in business here ten
years.

Bare Market.

Bare Market,* in the western part, contains a
small number of houses. It derived it name,
according to the people of the town, from the bare-
ness of the cuisine and tap-room of an old citizen
who kept here, at an early day, a sort of grocery
and liquor store. Being visited one night by a
party of convivialists who consumed all the edibles
and liquor, and not being able, even at their
earnest request, to replenish his stock, the party
went away piqued and disappointed, and derisively
named the place " Bare Market," by which appel-
lation it has since been known.

Stanfordville.

Stanfordville, in the southern part of the town,
on the Poughkeepsie, Hartford and Boston rail-
road, has a population of 340, and is a place of
some considerable business importance.

The postmaster here is Henry J. Knickerbacker,
who was appointed in 1875. He is also a dealer in
general merchandise, in which business he has
been engaged since April, 1873. The building in
which his business is transacted was built by Elder
Philetus Roberts, pastor of the Christian church,
about fifteen years ago, and in which his son-in-law,
Charles Waltermier, was the first to keep a store.
He was here some two years, and was succeeded
by Melius & Link, who kept it about a year ; then
Carroll & Knickerbacker, one year, then Carroll
alone for two years, from whom the present pro-
prietor purchased. Mr. Knickerbacker is a native
of Milan, born in 1842.

The only other merchant here is John H. Miller,
who has been in business here sixteen years, suc-
ceeding David P. Ketcham, who had conducted
the store six years. The business was established
by William Stewart in 1835, by whom it was con-
ducted until 1856. Mr. Miller is a native of Clin-
ton born in 1842, and has been a resident of
Stanford thirty-one years.

Hiram J. Wing, harness and horse furnishing
goods, has been in business here since 1875. His

* This, on the maps, is often incorrectly spelled " Bear Market."



place of business is in a part of the building
erected for the lodge of Good Templars, and
abandoned by them in the fall of 187 1.

The other business interests of Stanfordville are
two wagon and blacksmith shops (Edwin Juckett,
James VanTassel) ; a manufactory for wheels, fel-
loes, shafts, etc., established by David P. Ketcham
in 1879; Silas Rogers & Co.'s axle manufactory ;
and a paper and grist-mill.

The manufactory of Rogers & Company was
fo.unded by Silas Rogers in 1843. He began first
at wagon making, blacksmithing, and the manufac-
ture of edge tools, and in 1854 started the busi-
ness of manufacturing axles, which has become an
important industry. He died July 8, 1878, and the
business is now conducted by his family.

The paper-mill was originally a grist-mill, and
was converted into a steam drying paper-mill by
Whipple Newell, about forty-five years ago. It was
burned down in 1844, and on a portion of the site
a cotton-batting mill was erected, which had but a
brief existence. In 1852, H. B. Gildersleeve built
additions to this mill, and began the manufacture
of loft-dried, straw wrapping-paper. In 1862 David
P. Ketcham bought the mill, enlarged it, and con-
tinued the business until 1865, when he changed
from loft drying to steam drying and run until
November 29, 1865, when the mill was burned.
He immediately rebuilt the mill and, in May, 1866,
resumed the business, which he has since con-
ducted. The mill runs steadily, with a yearly pro-
duction of 600 tons of wrapping paper.

The grist-mill was built by Seaman & Northrop
in 1857, and by them was run until the spring of
1 86 1, when Northrop went out of the business, and
Seaman traded the property to George T. Pierce
for a hotel at Port Ewen. Pierce owned the mill
until 1 864, leasing it to John Tweedy, who ran it
a short time, when he sold it to Shelden &
Scriver. They run the mill until the dam was
swept away. May 15, 1865, which ended their
ownership. The property passed to the possession
of the City National Bank, of Poughkeepsie, and
the mortgagees rebuilt the dam, engaged a man
named Rifenburgh to run the mill, and, in the
spring of 1866, sold the property at private sale to
Alonzo Buell. Buell owned the mill one year and
sold it to Tomkins & Justus, who run it until
1872, when James Haight bought out Justus, and
under the firm name of Haight & Company (Geo.
P. Tompkins) the mill is now conducted.

Stanford Lodge, No. 150. K. P., was organized
December 20, 1870. The charter members were:



294



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



M. S. Duncan, D. W. Hitchcock, S. O. Rogers,
William Barrett, James H. Haight, L. H. Williams,
R. Mosher, F. M. Tallmadge, G. E. Rogers, Hiram
J. Wing, Henry J. Knickerbocker, D. W. Guern-
sey and T. G. Palmer. The Lodge meets each
Wednesday evening.

At Stanfordville is located The Christian Bibli-
cal Institute, a free school founded "for the purpose
of educating pious individuals for the Gospel Min-
istry. " Christian men and women of whatever
denomination, who come with suitable capacity,
proper commendations, and purpose of life work in
the ministry, are welcomed to the advantages
offered by this Institute. There is no charge for
tuition, nor for the use of class-books, reading-room
and library. A three years' course of studies is
offered to students having requisite preparation.

This Institute also seeks to be useful to worthy
students who have not had ample opportunities for
education. For such there is a preparatory year.
The Institute was incorporated by the Legisla-
ture of New York, in 1868. The school was open-
ed October 6th, 1869, at Starkey Seminary, Yates
County, where for three years the Institute remain-
ed. In October, 1872, the Institute was removed
to its present locality, on the avenue between the
villages of Stanfordville and Bangall.

The Institute Corporation own a farm of sixty
acres, whereon are farm buildings, a dwelling for
the President of the school, two tenement houses
for students, and the " Student's Home," and the
school building called the Christian Biblical Insti-
tute. The two costly and beautiful buildings last
named were built at the expense of the Hon.
David Clark, of Hartford, Conn., who, in 1874,
gave them both as a free gift to the corporation.

The Christian Biblical Institute was founded by
the American Christian Convention, at a quadren-
nial session held at Marshall, Michigan, in 1866.
Rev. Austin Craig, D. D., the late venerable
President and Biblical Lecturer of this Institute
was born in Peapack, Somerset County, N. J., July
14, 1824, and was the only son of Moses and
Rachael Craig. He enjoyed the usual educational
advantages of his native village, and at the age of
sixteen entered LaFayette College, at Easton,
Penn., where he finished his course in 1844. In
that year he united with the New Jers'ey Christian
Conference, with which body he held his member-
ship until his death.

By this Conference he was licensed to preach,
and soon after was ordained to the ministry. He
then spent two years more at LaFayette College, in 1



which he acquired so thorough a knowledge of the
languages connected with Jewish literature that
he has been regarded by such eminent scholars as
Horace Mann, and others, as one of the foremost
scholars in biblical science in America.

In 1847 he preached in Feltville, N. J. In
1848 he was called to the Pearl .Street Christian
Church in Fall River., Mass., where he preached a
year. He then accepted a call to the church in
Blooming Grove, Orange county, N. Y. In this
large and influential church he remained until 1854,
when, at the urgent solicitation of Hon. Horace
Mann, President of Antioch College, he accepted
an important trust in that new institution. . Here
he remained one year, and then returned to the
Blooming Grove Church, returning again to the
College in 1857, for another season of educational
work. In 1858 he again resufted his labors in the
Blooming Grove church, remaining there seven
years. In 1865 he was a third time called to An-
tioch College and remained there three years
during a part of which time he was Acting Presi-
dent. In 1868 he was called to the North Chris-
tian Church, New Bedford, Mass., the largest and
most influential church of the Christian connec-
tion. This pastorate was brief (as was expected
by the church), as he was to take the Presidency
of the Christian Biblical Institute whenever the
trustees of this institution were ready to open the
school. This was done in October, 1869, at Ed-
dytown, Yates county, N. Y. He died suddenly,
after a few hours' illness, at his residence in Stan-
fordville, August 27, r88i, a few days before the
opening of the thirteenth school year of the Insti-
tution of which he had been the President and
father from its beginning.

The Christian Church of Stanfordville, was or-
ganized about the year 1837. This was a branch
of the Milan Christian Church which was organ-
ized in the fall of 1820, and was organized by Rev.
Joseph Marsh, who at that time preached at Milan
and held monthly meetings with this church in
Stanfordville.

Amos Knapp and a Mr. Sherril were among the
first members when the church was organized.
About 1843 Amos Knapp gave the land upon
which the church now stands, and it was deeded to

the organization with this proviso :

" That it was given to the First Christian Church
of Stanfordville, to be used by them whenever they
chose, and, when not in use by them the house
could be used by worshippers of any denomination :
and m the event that the organization ceased to
exist, the property was to revert to him or his heirs "



TOWN OF STANFORD.



295



Mrs. Abigail Roberts preached here after Elder
Marsh. Rev. Philetus Roberts was pastor over
this church for thirty years. Then came Elder
Elias Jones, three years ; David I. Putnam, seven
years ; WiUiam Lane, one year ; A. N. Henry,
student of Christian Biblical Institute, four
months, and Alva H. Morrill, the present pastor,
now in his third year. The church edifice was
built about 1843. The present membership is
about 153.

The Society of Friends was organized here some
time previous to the year 1800. The first meeting
house was built in that year, and is still standing,
the lower part being used as a tenement house and
the upper part as a pubUc hall. Among the early
members of this denomination were the Hulls,
Wings, Guernseys, Moshers and Uptons, Paul Up-
ton being a zealous member, and his house the
stopping place of the Friends at the time of Quar-
terly meetings. At the Elias Hicks separation, in
1828, those who did not follow that dissenter built
the house which is now used for worship, and
which stands on the brow of the hill near the vil-
lage of Stan ford ville. This meeting has thirty-
seven members.

Among old physicians of the town were, Dr.
Leonard Barton, who practiced here previous to
thirty years ago, and whose name appears on the
town records as town clerk in 1797, and as super-
visor in iSiS, '19, '20 and '29; Dr. Buckman, who
died nearly thirty years since at an advanced age,
and who had practiced many years ; Dr. Guernsey,
who also practiced here previous to thirty years
ago ; and Drs. Benjamin and John Thome, broth-
ers, who, between thirty and forty years ago, were
practitioners of some note. Benjamin died some
four years ago, and John died in the town of
Washington in 1879.

The physicians now residing here are: — Dr.
Isaac M. Huntling, a native of Stanford, born in
1817, graduated from University of Pennsylvania,
at Philadelphia, in 1841, and began his practice in
the town of Amenia, where he remained nine
years. In the fall of 1863 he entered the United
States service as contract surgeon, employed by
the Freedman's Bureau, and was stationed at St.
Helena twenty-three months. In the spring of
1866 he resumed his practice in Stanford, remained
six years and went to Pine Plains where he lived
five years, when he returned to Stanford, where he
has since practiced.

Monroe Traver Pultz, M. D., was born in Rhine-
beck in 1843, graduated from the College of Phy-



sicians and Surgeons, New York city, in 1868, in
which year he began his practice in Stanford.

Dr. Augustus Angell, a native of Salt Point,
Duchess county, born in 1854, graduated from the
New York Homeopathic Medical College in 1881,
and began his practice in this village.

Bangall.

The village of Bangall Ues near the center of the
town, on the Newburgh, Duchess and Connecticut
Railroad. It has a population of 154. The name
of this place was derived from a Yankee phrase.
At . an early day, according to the older residents,
a Yankee tin peddler, driving the attenuated horse
peculiar to that traffic, passed through here pl3ang
his trade, and was made the sport of a crowd of
mischievous boys, who, after badgering him awhile,
concluded their fun by knocking his horse in the
head. This was a climax of persecution for which
he was unprepared, and, as he stood contemplat-
ing his dead animal, he gave vent to the character-
istic-Yankee ejaculation, "Well, this does bang
all ! " The story, with its droll expression of the
superlative in persecution, was handed around
until the phrase became the appellation of this lo-
caUty.

Among the earliest settlers here at Bangall were
the Sutherlands, who, in 1815, built the house in
which John BuUis now lives.*

The postmaster here is John BuUis, who was
appointed under Lincoln's first administration.

The parties now engaged in business are : —
Thaddeus Knickerbacker, general merchant, who
has been in business here seven years ; Charles H.
Humphrey, general merchant, a native of Pough-
keepsie, born in 1828, who began business here in
1865, succeeding Charles Gregory, who previously
conducted the business for seven years ; John June,
stoves and general tinware, who began business
here in 1869 ; Henry Mills, a native of Stanford,
born in 1851, cigars, tobacco and confectionery,
in business ten years ; Edward Ham,t a native of
Pine Plains, born in 1842, harness shop and horse
furnishing goods, in business here four years.

Besides these, are the shoe shop of Isaac Clark,
who has been in that business here thirty years ;
the blacksmith shops of Colby & Condon, and
Marvin ; the wagon shop of John Cassedy, and the
painting rooms of Milton P. Badger.

Bangall has one hotel, an old stand, the memory

* BuiJt by Colonel Sutherland.

t Volunteer from New York in i86i, in 5th N. Y. Heavy Art., served
3 years and 7 months.



296



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



of the oldest citizen not being able to locate the
precise date of its erection. It is superior to many
hotels in much larger places than this. Erastus
Hicks, who has been here three years, is the present
proprietor.

The only physician at this place is Dr. Elmore
Losee, a native of Saratoga County, born May 23,
182 1, who graduated from Castleton Medical
College, Vermont, November 25, 1846. In
1850, he came to Duchess County and practiced
two years in Red Hook, then removed to Bangall



Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 60 of 125)