James H. (James Hadden) Smith.

History of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 61 of 125)
Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 61 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


where for thirty years he has been an attentive
practitioner.

Daniel W. Guernsey, a prominent lawyer of the
County, and whose home is in the village, was born
in Stanford March 29, 1834. He was educated at
a private school maintained by his father and Col.
John Thompson, and at Newburgh Academy. He
studied law at Buffalo with George W. Houghton,
Judge of the Superior Court, and D. F. Clark, his
partner, and was admitted to practice in March,
1856. From that year until 1861 he was in Kan-
sas, when he returned home, joined the 47th Regt.
N. Y. Vols., and remained in the army until the
close of the war, enlisting as a private and pro-
moted to a captaincy.

The village has three churches, the Methodist
and First and Second Baptist.

The Methodist Episcopal Church was erected in
the year 1843. Previous to that year meetings
were occasionally held in the neighboring school-
house. As near as can be^learned the Rev. Will-
iam Thatcher was the first pastor; at any rate he
assisted in organizing the society, and was chair-
man of the first meeting held for that purpose.

The first meeting to effect an organization was
held July 22, 1843, at the residence of Benjamin
R Myers, in this town. The first Board of Trus-
tees were Leonard Winans, Samuel D. Rider,
Jacob Davis, Benjamin Myers and Joseph Shelley.
Leonard Winans gave all the timber for the frame
of the church edifice, drawing a large portion of it
from Poughkeepsie, boarded free of charge the
workmen who built the house, and donated one
hundred dollars. But for his exertions it is doubt-
ful if there would ever have been a Methodist
Episcopal Church in Bangall. Samuel D. Rider,
Benjamin Myers and others, also did much toward
the building of the church.

From the organization of the society until about
i860, it was united under one pastorate with the
M. E. church at Pine Plains. In about that year
this connection was severed, and this society was



united under one pastorate with the M. E. church
at Milan, and so remains at this date.

From the organization up to about i860, the list
of pastors is incomplete,* but the following served
as pastors during that period: — Mathew Van
Dusen, S. M. Vail, Thomas Ellis, M. R. Lent,
A. H. Ferguson, Mr. Murphey. From i860, the
following has been the succession of pastors : Revs.

0. Haviland, D. B. Turner, N. Hubbell, Thomas
Ellis, J. H. Phillips, H. B. Mead, F. J. Belcher,
S. P. Galloway, and the present pastor, the Rev.
Jesse Ackerman.f

The Second Baptist Church, at Bangall, was
organized February 2, i860, at the house of Isaac

1. Wright.

The church edifice was erected in the fall and
winter of i860 and '61. The society was recog-
nized by a council of the .Baptist denomination
April 18, 1861. The first officers were Phineas K.
Sackett, Chapel Robinson, William Crandall,
Deacons; Isaac I. Wright, Phineas K. Sackett,
Chapel Robinson, Trustees ; Joel S. Winans
Clerk.

The pastors have been as follows: Rev. Mr.
Perkins, as supply, six months ; Rev. G. F. Hen-
drickson, from October 19, 1861, to 1866; Rev.
Halsey Moore, 1866 to 1869; Rev. LaFayette
Moore, March, 1870 to Sept. 12, 1872 ; Rev. James
W. Grant, Sept. 19, 1874, to March 24, 1875.
The last pastor was Rev. Mathew Johnston, who
served three years and a half. The church was
also supplied by the Rev. George B. Vosburgh.
The present membership is 51.

The First Baptist Church is the oldest in the
town, and possesses considerable historic interest.
Its first records are dated Great Nine Partners.
Charlotte Precinct, N. Y.

The first members appear to have emigrated
from Massachusetts. The first record dates back
to the year 1755, and reads as follows :—

" Whiereas, there were a few of us, of the Bap-
tist faith and order, settled in this wilderness as
sheep having no Shepherd, being destitute of the
glorious privileges which our dear Redeemer hath
purchased for us, of having the gospel Preached
among us and the ordinances administered under
His law and Solemn cause, we thought it needful
to meet together and to give up ourselves to God
by^prayer and supplication, with continuance.

" God was pleased to add unto us some more
souls, which gives us great reason to hope God did
own this our free-will offering, whereupon we con-
tinued ass embling together till in the year 1759,

•During the connection with Pine Plains, whose pastors also served
here.

t To whom we are indebted for the history of this church.



TOWN OF STANFORD.



297



on the 15th day of October. Then we were em-
bodied together here in Duchess County, and in
the province of New York, and did make choice
of two, viz.: Ephraim Bullock and Comer Bullock
to be as under Shepherds over us, to preach the
gospel, and administer the ordinances among us,
which were established, and authorized, by the in-
finite goodness of God.

" We had the presence and assistance of Elder
Jabez Wood and Elder Robert Wheaton, who
were Elders of the First Baptist Church m the
town of Swansea, in the County of Bristol, and in
the province of Massachusetts Bay, in New Eng-
land."

The next record is dated June 6th, 1772, when
the Church chose two brethren to draw lots for
one to serve as deacon, which lot fell upon
Richard Bullock, Jr., who some time after was
authorized.

Then follows an account of a withdrawal of
some members from the Mother Church because
the latter " sang by rule Watts' Psalms," together
with an account of the uneasiness which fell upon
some of the withdrawing members, who afterwards
desired to make recantation to the Mother Church,
find were informed by the other seceding members
that they " could not walk with us if we made our
confession to them and allowed the singing of
Watts' Psalms, which thing we find it our duty to
do." Thereupon twenty-four brethren and sisters
left assembling with them and for some time did
not meet together for worship, but having a con-
ference thought it their duty to attend the worship
of God as soon as there was a door open. Soon after
there was a fervent call in the neighborhood which
they readily accepted, and appointed a conference
for those scattered members, who, when assembled
together, were found to be of one opinion, and who
after several conferences thought it " our duty to
give up ourselves to God and each other as fellow
members, to walk together in visible communica-
tion, which we entered into on this 9th day of May,
in the year 1778." Then follows the names of
twenty-four more, as being willing to walk together
in the Order of the Gospel with singing of Psalms
and Hymns as a part of Divine worship.

For fifty years from the first gathering of Baptists
in this then wilderness, we find the church incul-
cating its principles and establishing branches
throughout the surrounding country. During that
period they had organized branches in eight differ-
ent places :— Kinderhook, Oswego, Noble Town,
Dover, Daniel Jones', West Branch, South West
Branch andRhinebeck.

The first record of Elder Luman Burch is that



he closed a church meeting by prayer February 23,

1805. On the 30th of August the church proposed
his ordination which he declined, but June 14,

1806, a council was convened consisting of Elders
Leland, Wood and Johnson, and on the day follow-
ing they ordained Luman Burch, the same time
they ordained Comer Bullock; a son of Elder Co-
mer Bullock, a deacon.

Among the first whom Elder Burch baptized
were Samuel Sackett and Asa Thompson, who
became a deacon and for nearly fifty years was a
pillar in the church. Thus Elder Burch began his
labors with the church, and most of his life as a
minister of the gospel was passed here. A new
house was raised in July, 1814, andin Aug. 1815, the
church met in this house, which was located about
one-fourth mile south of the first. Elder Burch
followed to a great extent the example of his
predecessor. Elder Bullock, in preaching in dif-
ferent places, holding services at Fishkill, Amenia,
Pleasant Valley and Pine Plains.

Elder Burch lived in the community for a num-
ber of years, and by industry and economy secured
a small farm, thus in a great measure supporting
himself. He received from the church but a
meagre compensation for his services, and, fore-
seeing that his successor in the pastoral office must
necessarily have a scanty support, and feeling that
he himself was responsible for not having educated
the church to give more liberally for ministerial sup-
port, proposed to the church June 26, 1852, to
raise the sum of $r,ooo to build a parsonage, drew
up a subscription for the same, and headed it with
his own name for $100. The money was raised,
and the parsonage built, owing mainly to his sug-
gestions and through his influence. He was a
worthy successor to the former pastor. The two
were the only pastors for the space of a century
from 1755 to 1855, when Elder Luman Burch
closed his labors as pastor, having been stricken
with palsy. He lingered until November 17, 1858,
when he died, aged 81 years.

Elder Elijah Lucas was his successor, beginning
his labors Sept. 23, 1855. In January, 1859, a
difficulty occurred in which the pastor was involved.
At a special meeting held to consider the matter,
February 2, 1859, it was found that the charges
against Elder Lucas were not sustained by the evi-
dence. On the 13th of March, 1859, the pastor
asked for a letter of dismission, which was granted.

Efforts were made to settle the difficulties, even
to caUing a council of the Baptist churches in the
county, but without avail. As a result a number



298



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



withdrew from the church, and afterwards organ-
ized what is now the Second Baptist Church, whose
history, in brief, has been given.

Elder Lucas' successor was John Vassar, who
labored for the church several months. October
29, 1859, Elder J. Holman's name appears on the
record as moderator in the church meetings. He
labored with the church as a supply until the last
of March, i860, when he became the duly elected
pastor, sustaining that relation until November
25, 1865, when he tendered his resignation which
was accepted, to take effect January ist, 1866.

The church then invited Elder E. C. Ambler
to supply them until the first of April, and on the
first of January he began his labors. On the 24th
of February the church extended a call to him
to become its pastor, and on the first of April
he moved his family and took charge of the
church. The second house of worship was occu-
pied for about fifty-three years.

In the fall of 1867, a survey was made for the
Duchess & Columbia Railroad, which passed
through the pulpit, so that subsequently they were
obliged to move the house a little more than the
width of it to give way for the work on the road.
In December the agents for the road met the trus-
tees and a committee of the church, when a prop-
osition was made to give the church $1,650, which
was accepted, when they proceeded to build the
present house of worship. This is a fine edifice,
65 by 38 feet, and, with the parsonage, is free from
debt. The last service in the old house was held
December 20, 1867. The new church was dedi-
cated May 26, 1869. This house is located about
half a mile south of the first church building, and
one-fourth mile south of the second, and cost
$ 1 2,000.

Rev. E. C. Ambler remained as pastor of the
church seven years, and then resigned. Rev. W. R.
Connelly, his successor, came in June, 1874, and
remained until April, 1880. He was succeeded
by the present pastor, the Rev. Jabez Marshall,
who began his labors in September, 1880. The
present membership (1881) is 115.

Stanford in the Rebellion.

In the War of the Rebellion, Stanford sent quite
an array of soldiers to the battle-fields of the south,
but in no town records, or other official docu-
ments, were kept either the names or the number
of the volunteers.

From a citizen of the town* who kept a partial
record, we gather the following n ames :—

* William Tripp.



^Ith Regiment. — Peter Schoonover (dead),
Joseph Cox, George B. Kirby, Daniel W. Guern-
sey, Joseph C. Gildersleeve, Cyrus E. Hofftail-
ing, Henry Cox, Gardener Morris (died in service),
John Risedorph, John Manion, Walter Powers,
John Broaderick, Henry Phillips, James Coyle
(died in service), Norman Cornelius, Michael
Wager, James Brady, George Traver, James Dun-
bar, Harvey Schoonover, Franklin Risedorph,
Josiah A. Stringham (died in the service), William
Pendergrass, Peter Wilsey.

20th Regiment. — Ory S. Payne, Hiram Sackett,
George T. Tripp, Amos Travis (killed at Antie-
tam), Edgar Risedorph, George Mead (died in the
service), John W. Ferris.

Ira Harris Cavalry. — Adam See (killed in the
service), Charles Waldron, John Teator, Philip
Fulton, Morgan Strict, Byron Sackett, Kelly
Braley, Benjamin Briggs.

\2Zth Regiment, Co. B. — Rensselaer Mosher,
George C. Payne, Curtiss L. Porter (died at Port
Hudson,) John E. Anderson, William H. Snyder,
Landon P. Rider (died in the service,) Edgar
George (died at Baton Rouge,) John M. Mclntyre,
Sherman H. Williams, Barton [or Bartlett] H.
Bishop, Henry V. Wood, Isaac T. Winans, Charles
Travers (died in the service), William B. Sackett
(dead,) Oliver J. Walters (killed at Winchester,)
John H. Palmatier, George A. Drury and John H.
Payne.

Company C— Robert D. Dykeman, Benjamin
T. Churchill, Samuel G. Morgan, William Porter,
William C. Millroy, Gilbert H. Warner, W. E.
Churchill.

Scattering. — L. Van Wagoner, Co. D ; Adam
Waldron, Co. F; Philetus Teator (died in the
service,) William Teator, John H. Hoshier and
Alfred Shaffer.

\'i,Qth Regiment — CorneUus N. Campbell, Thos.
Wallace, Tallmadge Wood (died in the service,)
Alexander Worden, Nicholas Whiteley, Reuben A.
Husted, Henry Sigler (died in the service,) Thos.
BulHs, Jesse B. Foster, Henry Hicks, Alfred
Seeley, William Briggs, John Briggs, Rensselaer
Worden, James Newman, Albert Knapp, George
Lovelace (died in the service,) William Gurney,
George Dunbar, James Horton, (died in the
service,) Henry T. Smith, (died in the service,;^
Nicholas Hickey, William Ackert, John Schoon-
over, (died in the service,) Albert Allen, Patrick
Griffin, Alonzo Vanderburgh, Robert Wagoner,
(deserted,) Walter L. Allen, (died in the service,)
Sidney D. Boughton, (died in the service,) Abraham





(iZ£-6.e_-




-'Z-^^^-^



&ig^ bil H tlHnV ^Sms 1:\ fiim-lai, ,V N ;,



TOWN OF HYDE PARK.



299



N. Hull, (deserted,) Henry Teator, Joseph Mc-
Dowell, William Cash, Oscar Parks, (died in the
service,) Philander Wordon, (died in the service,)
William Barton, Richard N. Hapeman, (died in
the service,) and H. F. Roberts.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH.



HON. ISAAC S. CARPENTER.

Isaac Smith Carpenter, son of Morgan and
Maria Bockee Carpenter, resides in Stanford, at
the homestead formerly occupied by his father and
grandfather, where he was born June 24, 1828.
He was liberally educated, having pursued an
academic and classical course of study for six
years.

In 1851, he married Julia Wilson, daughter of
Hiram Wilson, Esq., of Pine Plains. She having
died May 22, 1858, he was married Sept. 5, 1861,
to Sarah R., also a daughter of Hiram Wilson.
He has six children, three from each marriage,
viz.: Eliza, Maria B., Morgan, Wilson, Julia and
S. Louisa.

Originally a Whig he joined the Republican
party at its organization. He was Supervisor of
Stanford in 1859, and from 1877 to '79 inclusive,
and chairman of the Board in 1878-79. He was
elected to the Assembly 1879, and again in 1880,
receiving each year a very large majority, and serv-
ing each term as a member of the Committee on
Ways and Means. He is a member of ' the Pres-
byterian church and has for many years taken an
active interest in whatever pertains to the moral
elevation and spiritual welfare of the community.
In 1880 the desire was very generally expressed by
the RepubUcans of Duchess County, that he should
be their candidate for State Senator, but he would
not consent to the use of his name at the conven-
tion. Probably no citizen of the county possesses
to a greater extent the confidence and respect of
the people.



CHAPTER XXV.
History of the Town of Hyde Park.

WHEN we look back through the misty
past to reflect upon the scenes and in-
cidents pecuHar to the early settlement and pros-
perity of a locality, we find much that to the
matter-of-fact inquisitor, is left in obscurity
through the absence of documents to verify the
truth. It is then that tradition steps forward,
though a fickle chronicler, and relates her pleasing



reminiscences, that far too often are found to be
exaggerated.

In the early days of our country the extreme
poverty of the pioneers and other uncontrolled
circumstances, made it impossible for them to
leave a record of their business and social transac-
tions. It was enough for them to leave their
native land where royal exactions kept them in
poverty and ignorance, and brave the labors at-
tending the removal of the forest and the rearing
of homes, while struggling on in the rut of dis-
advantage to eke out a livelihood. While thus
battling, their industry and perseverance gave to
them an independence that was sweet to their
burdened souls, and awoke at last their spirits to
cry liberty, and nerved the arms of their children
to battle manfully the minions of tyranny, and
plant freedom upon our soil.

Tradition does not tell us who were the first
settlers of this town, nor the time they located.
In 1687, we find a goodly share of the lands com-
prising the town, was purchased by nine men
who formed a co-partnership under the name of
" Nine Partners.'' In surveying the same, they
divided it in such a manner that nine of the lots
were bounded by the river on the west and were
called the "water lots,'' of which the town chiefly
consists. A few of the "partners'' located upon the
lands and induced many Germans that immigrated
in 1709-10, to settle as tenants. A few purchased,
whose descendants are still to be found within the
county. In the course of a few years, as specula-
tion in lands became rife, one Jacob Stoutenburgh,
a Hollander and trader from Westchester, pur-
chased an interest in one of the " water lots,'' and
began the first settlement of Hyde Park village
near the present landing. He became interested
in these lands about the year 1735, and undoubt-
edly located a few famihes soon after, as in 1740
we fiiid he had a storehouse and a shop, but of
what nature we have been unable to learn. We
may presume, however, that being a tradesman, he
furnished the settlers with the necessaries of life,
in exchange for which he obtained the common
barter of hunters, farmers and Indians. He may
have removed to this place at that time, but the
impression is he did not until the year 1792, when
he must have been a very aged man.

Jacob married Margaret Teller, a direct de-
scendant of Anneke Jans, the marriage taking
place in New York city soon after their arrival.

In 1752, he with several others, sold a tract of
land to Barent Lewis, which undoubtedly was the



3°°



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



land Morgan Lewis afterwards owned and lived
upon, and now occupied by N. Pendleton Rogers.
He may have been sole owner of one of the water
lots, as P. H. Smith states in his History of
Duchess Co., but we think he owned in part, as
all conveyances of large tracts or farms from him
mention others as being connected with him.

The same author says, " He gave to his son
Luke, three hundred and fifty acres located about
Hyde Park. " One of the houses he built, perhaps
for himself, is still standing south of the village and
is a monument of his enterprise and the architect-
ure of that early day. Tradition's pleasing story
is to the effect, that General Washington, the
sainted chieftain, once made his home within its
time-honored walls for several weeks. Following
the wearied steps of the General, we can but think
it was at the time that Gates stood before Burgoyne
upon the upper Hudson in 1777, to contest his
passage to Albany. Withdrawing to this place of
quiet, accessible to all facts and near the Council
of Safety — perhaps he here laid the plans to which
he adhered during the campaign of that and the
succeeding year. Perhaps he was here when the
shout of victory from Bemis Heights echoed along
the historic valley, and awoke the proud Clinton to
a sense of the patriots strength and fortitude. May
the intelligence and patriotism of Hyde Park pre-
serve the old building thus consecrated, without a
mar or change, as but few such relics are to be
found. Modern enterprise and vandalism have
nearly annihilated them all, with their eager fingers
of demolition.

Another of Stoutenburgh's houses still stands at
Union Comers, which was built for his son
William, and is now occupied by Mr. VanWagener.
The family are yet to be found within the town and
vicinity and have been identified with the political
interest of the town and county for a long terra of
years. Isaac Stoutenburgh was a member of the
second, third and fourth Provincial Congresses ; was
State Senator from 1779 to 1787, and was elected
to the "Council of Appointments " in 1781. The
Legislature appointed him Commissioner for the
building of Newgate Prison in 1796, and he was
appointed by the Governor, Inspector of Prisons in
1797- T. S. Stoutenburgh was Member of
Assembly in 1807 and 1808, and others of the
the same family have held offices of less note.

When the Council of Safety was sitting at
Poughkeepsie, they received for the forts below,
supplies from the Mohawk and Schoharie valleys!
These were drawn by teams belonging to the



patriots living in the section that contributed.
Such was their zeal in the cause of liberty, that
they voluntarily drew such articles as the sub-com-
mittee collected, long distances, which incurred
many hardships and often dangers. A son, long
since dead, of a revolutionary farmer and patriot
of Schoharie, related to the writer an incident that
occurred at " Stoutenburgh's Landing,'' in which
the father took an active part. There were several
teams in company and they reached this place
near night, but desired to reach Poughkeepsie be-
fore nightfall. In order to do so with "lively
spirits," they stopped to take a " horn of grog,"
and while enjoying the beverage a "stump" to
wrestle was made by one of the occupants of the
bar-room, which was readily accepted by the
Schoharie teamster. The parties clinched, and for
a while it was an even match, but the Schohariean
becoming impatient, hurried matters and threw his
man, upon which the party residing here decided
the fall to be unfair. Having an eye upon Pough-
keepsie, the teamster refused to try again, and
when passing out the door, was caught and roughly
handled by a burly fellow. The ire of the Scho-
harieans became aroused, and turning upon the
party they all enjoyed a free knock-down. After
taking another " horn all round " they again com-
menced, and not until ten o'clock at night did they
release their visitor. He being " too long winded,
they were severely chastised, but separated the
best of friends."

Where now stands Staatsburgh, during the Revo-
lution resided the Staat family, whose circle of
acquaintances and relations was large in the
Mohawk Valley. Their residence was another
stopping place for those of that section, and there
many a gala time was enjoyed, regardless of the
"troubled political waters."

Many of the old German stock, as we "have in-
timated, were partial to the King. They were
conscientious in their loyalty, through gratitude
towards that government for transporting them
from their native country to America, and placing
them upon fertile lands for a nominal sum, which,
as they became able, they paid. They were but
delving, heavy taxed tenants of extravagant Pala-
tines, and were kept under the yoke of oppression
by the general government. They lived in poverty
and ignorance, and when brought here, they felt too
grateful to ask for greater blessings. Their con-
sciences led them to remain, as they, by solemn '
oath affirmed, to be true to the King. As a class,
they were not desperate in their loyalty, and dese-




"THE LOCU




:usTS.'



TOWN OF HYDE PARK.



301



crated not the principles of honor and reason
by committing atrocious deeds ; on the contrary
they were quiet and inactive. An occasional
"evil spirit" among them, embraced the oppor-
tunity given, to commit inhuman crimes under
the guise of loyalty and necessity, which in those



Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 61 of 125)