James H. (James Hadden) Smith.

History of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 63 of 125)
Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 63 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


unsolicited, generously offered to repair the walls
of the building, and did so at his own expense,
thereby stimulating the trustees to go on and make
further improvements. Brothers Green and Out-
water resolved to modernize the whole interior, and
after laying before the official boards their plans,
the work was begun. The whole inner part was
remodeled ; the side walls and ceiUng were fres-
coed; the vestibule, as now standing, was con-
structed, and the church was made attractive and
comfortable.



3o6



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



Brother I. L. Green served the church for five
years without salary and giving his donations
towards the church indebtedness ; preaching —
during this, the longest pastoral service connectedly
known throughout the N. Y. Conference — over
600 sermons ; delivering many hundreds of exhorta-
tions and freeing from debt, with the hearty co-op-
eration of the sisters, brethren and friends, the
entire property, valued at $6,500. In April, 1873,
Brother I. M. Richards, at the conference held in
Hudson, received his first appointment to this
charge.

In October, 1873, Bishop Andrews transferred
Brother Richards to the Nebraska conference,
stationing him at Fremont. Again the pulpit was
vacant. The Presiding Elder-, Rev. S. I. Fergu-
son, with approval of the official board, appointed
Rev. J. K. Wardle to supply the charge for the re-
maining conference year. He commenced his
work Sunday, October 19th.

In the year 1874, Brother G. B. Clark was
appointed to Hyde Park, and for three years he
served the church faithfully. It was during his
pastorate here that the beautiful church at Staats-
burg (Plyde Park) was built, which proves a great
blessing to the people in that community and adds
great strength to the charge. The plan of build-
ing this church originated between George Lam-
oree, (a former member at Hyde Park,) and his pas-
tor. In September, 1876, the following brethren
met at the house of George Lamoree : Stephen
Uhl, R. Schoden, Wm. Gowen and Geo. Lamoree,
and they were appointed trustees. September 3,
1876, the church was dedicated, free of debt, and
the whole a gift of our worthy and honored Brother
Lamoree. A society of about sixty members and
a congregation of about 150, worship here every
Sabbath.

In 1877, Brother S. J. McCutchen was appointed
to this church.

At this time all indebtedness on parsonage and
church property was entirely liquidated. In 1879
the Rev. Wm. Stephens was appointed, and served
the charge for two years. In April, 1880, the pres-
ent pastor, S. P. Gallaway, was appointed. The
people received him cordially, and pastor and
people are harmoniously working together.

The following statements taken from a paper fur-
nished recently by Rev. Alonzo F. Selleck, will be
of interest in this connection : — Rev. Mr. Selleck
and his wife came to Hyde Park in the spring of
1828. There being no Methodist Episcopal Church
in Hydtf Park at that time, he opened his house for



preaching and prayer. The Revs. Butts and
Smith, local preachers, came from Poughkeepsie
and preached a few times. Rev. Mr. Selleck also
held a prayer meeting every Sunday. This drew
large numbers, so that the house and door-yard
would be full and often part of the road in front.
The church of Poughkeepsie gave him authority to
hold meetings for prayer, etc., by licensing him to
exhort. In the spring of 1829, Hyde Park was
placed on the Milan and Duchess circuit, with
Revs. Marvin Richardson and A. M. Osborn,
(now Dr. Osborn,) preachers. The first class was
formed during this year, numbering eight souls ;
Mr. Selleck was appointed leader. In 1830, a new
school-house was opened for use, that would ac-
commodate about 150 persons. Ten dollars a
year was paid for the use of the same by the
society. During this year foi^y persons were con-
verted, and the attendance upon divine service
greatly increased.

Baptist Church. — At a meeting held in the
early part of April, 1844, by those who favored the
Baptist faith, it was voted to call a council accord-
ing to the rules of the church to organize a society
at Hyde Park. On the i8th of that month the
council met at the house of Garrett G. Lansing,
and organized the church with the following mem-
bers :—G. G. Lansing, W. H. Lansing, L. L.
Lansing, A. Hoyt, William Hewitt, A. Lent, J. B.
F. Lansing, Malinda Lansing, Susan VanWagener,
Lucretia Manning, Morilla E. Lansing, Caroline
Vail, Mrs. Phebe G. Traver, Eliza M. Parker, and
Mary A. Finch. Upon the 30th of the month, at
a meeting held at the house of Mrs. Finch, Alex.
Vail, James S. Odell, W. H. Lansing, Thomas Van-
dyke, James Finch and C. W. Teller, were elected
Trustees; WiUiam H. Lansing, Clerk.

Rev. David Morris was called to officiate as
pastor in 1844, and remained one year, %hen Rev.
Philip Roberts, of Pleasant Valley, followed and
also remained one year.

During 1846, the Rev. Charies VanLoon of the
First Baptist Church, of Poughkeepsie, officiated
as "a supply." It was during that year the present
and first church edifice was built. The year fol-
lowing. Rev. E. Fay was called and closed his
labors in the early part of 1851. The pulpit was
again vacant until the spring of 1852. Rev. M. A.
Brown then began his ministry, which continued
one year and six months, when he resigned and
gave place to J. W. Jones who remained till the
spring of 1856, when he removed to Glenville,
where he labored till the spring of 186 1. He was




"THE LOCUSTS"— THE FARM-^



- — * — ^ -'^^r^ '^




I-YARD. BARN AND STABLES.



TOWN OF HYDE PARK.



307



again called and officiated about six years, and
proved the last resident pastor of the church. Mr.
Jones still resides within the parish, but owing to
ill health and the few members left to sustain the
church, occasional service only is held. At one
time this organization numbered about fifty mem-
bers, but it has proved to be a migratory one, —
attaining a respectable membership in numbers
and enjoying prosperity for a while; suddenly a re-
moval to other parts would be made by many of
the active members, and the progress of the
church paralyzed. It has experienced several such
shocks since its organization ; yet its seeming
groping along the path of religious duty has not
been in vain, as we find that from its fold, three
young men have been sent forth to preach the
gospel, and many times have reported their suc-
cessful work in the vineyard. E. Tompkins, Pen-
dleton Weed and Lewis Lansing each spreading
the "glad tidings" as conscientious and zealous
workers.

Roman Catholic Church. — The churches of
Hyde Park, Staatsburgh and others of the vicinity
were not regularly organized until the year 1862.
During that year Mrs. Kirkpatrick, a daughter of
the late , Mortimer Livingston, a lady of wealth,
erected the present edifice at Hyde Park as a
memorial to her deceased husband, at the ex-
pense of many thousand dollars. She furnished
the building in an elaborate style, purchasing and
giving to the church statues, paintings and the
whole paraphernalia used in the worship of the
Roman Catholic Church in the city of Rome.
The vestments are of the original Roman pattern,
and excel in richness and beauty any other to be
found along the Hudson.

A new parish was established, or the old one re-
established, in the latter part of No are again used
as meadows. The grain fed to the stock is ground
on the farm. About forty persons are employed
on the farm and gardens in various capacities, while
many mechanics find more or less constant em-
ployment on the premises. There are eleven
dwelling houses on the farm, all occupied by per-
sons employed thereon, six of them having two
families each.

A stream fed by springs on the farm runs
through the grounds ; but water for the stock is
conducted through about a half mile of pipe from
springs on the hills in the eastern part of the farm.
On the hill in the western part of the farm and
near the river is a reservoir 40 feet in diameter,
and si feet deep, which is filled from the river by
one of Knowle's pumps, worked by an engine with
a fourteen inch cyliiider. From this, water is con-
ducted by means of pipes to the several houses,
the green-houses, and various parts of the farm ;
also to the stock barns for use in dry times, though
it is only used there in such emergencies, as the
spring water is preferred. This supply is found to
be inadequate, however, and it is proposed to en-
large the reservoir in the spring.

Since 1857 the farm has been under the general
supervision of Timothy Herrick, a native of An-
trim, N. H. Mr. Herrick was brought up on his
father's farm. He enjoyed an extensive acquaint-
ance with the Dinsmore family, and through that
influence gained his appointment to his present
position, though he had not then attained his ma-
jority. By persistent and intelligent application he
has shown himself admirably qualified for the re-
sponsible duties which devolved upon him. Previous
to 1857, the grounds were under the supervision
of James Downing, a native of Ireland, who had
lived in this locality for many years, and was for
a long time Williani C. Emmet's gardener. Little



attention, however, had been given to farming and
farm improvements, only a few cattle being kept
and a little hay cut. Mr. Herrick found the fences
down, and the land neglected and in bad condition.
To him, therefore, next to Mr. Dinsmore, whose
instructions he has faithfully carried out, is due the
high state of perfection which the farm exhibits.
The present gardener is Thomas Emerson, a na-
tive of Dumfries, Scotland, who had spent his life
as a gardener on gentlemen's estates in that coun-
try. He came to this country in March, 1870,
and in April of that year engaged with Mr. Dins-
more, as assistant gardenener, under A. L. Black,
whose place he took in 1871, Mr. Black having
engaged in business in Philadelphia. Under the
able management of Mr. Emerson, who has elab-
orated and executed Mr. Dinsmore's ideas, the
lawn has assumed its present artistic appearance,
and the hot-house capacity been more than
doubled.



CHAPTER XXVI.



History of the Town of Pleasant Valley.

THE oldest monument of the past in the town
of Pleasant Valley is the cemetery opposite
the Methodist Church at Washington Hollow,
where lies the dust of many that were the first set-
tlers of this town and Washington. While the
settlers lived principally upon the territory belong-
ing to the latter, yet their meeting house was built
within a few feet of the site of the Methodist
Church, which stood for a long time, and was a
witness of many scenes and incidents of interest,
both of a political and religious character. Several
aged inhabitants of the vicinity are positive they
have seen a grant from Queen Anne, to the
" church of Pittsberry, " of a piece of land upon
which to erect a church, bearing date 1710. Were
it not that the lands lying here were granted to the
Nine Partners in 1697, we might be satisfied as to
their correctness ; but such being the case, and
having been given without reserve with the excep-
tion of timber for naval purposes, we are led to
think the granf was a permit, or certificate of
organization granted to the Nine Partners, for the
purpose of encouraging a settlement. However, if
the date of the instrument is remembered correctly,
it gives the settlement of this locality an earlier
date than has generally been supposed. In search-
ing for that document we were successful in find-
ing the church record in the hands of Rev. A. B.
Prichard, beginning Sept. 19, 1746. From it we
copy the following, verbatim : —



312



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



" Crom Elbow Precinct in Dutchess County
September 19th 1746 we the subscribers do Cove-
nant and Promise for ourselves Heirs and Assigns
to pay towards Building and Erecting of a Presby-
terian meeting house the sum or Sums Enexed to
Each of our names Under Written and it is to be
Understood that said meeting house is to Stand
about twenty or thirty Rods to the South East
from Henry Filkins Sheriff and said money is to be
paid to Mr. Jacob Hall, Capt Samuel Jackson,
Joseph Barber Esqr. Henry Lott and Thomas New
Court who being a committy chosen to Receive
said money and it to be understood that any of the
Subscribers Under Written have Liberty to pay
what they Subscribe in work according to the
acceptance of the said committy and Said Com-
mitty are Obliged to Render a true account of their
disbursements of the money to a committy which
shall be hereafter chosen."

The next meeting was In July, 1747, when
articles of agreement were drawn up for the build-
ing of the church. It says : "The majority of the
Committee met and agreed With Joseph Barton
Esqr. to build the frame of the Presbeterian meet-
ing house and are to give him twenty-five pounds
and — " Here the record stops and nothing is
recorded until "ye 19th September 1763." With-
out doubt the building or the frame, was erected
that year, and the society's affairs passed along
without any unusual occurrence.

At the last mentioned date, another meeting was
held in the " Presbeterian meeting house near
Henry Filkins of Charlotte Precinct, Duchess
county,'' with Rev. Benoni Bradner, as moderator,
for the purpose of electing trustees. A resolution
says : " That Frederick Hanum, Simon Flagler,
William Allen, John Gazely and Daniel Ward Jun.
be trustees, assistant to the old ones to have the
custody of this said meeting house and Lands be-
longing to it &c according to the original deed and
Plans" and also, " That the same persons who are
Trustees, all be appointed as a committee to invite
ministers to preach as supplies, to us on Proba-
tion." Joseph Hoff was chosen " Clark to keep
the Records of the Society's Proceedings." The
next meeting was held "ye 30th August 1769,"
and then it was agreed, " That John Piatt John
Carpenter and Melancthon Smith be chosen to
Garry on, Seat and Repair the said meeting house
and that after the said work be accompUshed, the
Seats be Sold at Publick Vendue to the highest
bidder." In December of that year the church
was finished and auction held, at which twenty-
three of the pewSj and the small seats in front of the
pulpit, were sold for eighty-four pounds, as
follows*! —



Pew No. I Reserved for the pastor.

" 2 To Simon Flagler £S 'os.

" 3 " Israel Piatt and Wilmott Oakley 410s.

" 4 " Frederick Ham 5

" 5 " Noah Smith and Jessee Wood 310s.

" 6 " Sam'l and Melancthon Smith 3 'Ss.

" 7 " Daniel Carpenter, Sen., and Joseph Carpenter.. 317s.

" 8 " John Carpenter and John Ward 3 'M.

" 9 " James Harris and Isaac Pettit 3 I8s.

" 10 " Timothy Beedle and Albert Adrieance 4

" II *' John Gazely and Isaac Hoff 4

" iz " David Bedford, Isaac Bloom and Harris Griffin 3

" 13 " Daniel Ward, Jun. 219s.

" 14 " Thomas Rabblee 2 iSs.

" 15 " John Rabblee 3

" 16 " William Allen 3

" 17 " Zachariah Flagler 3

" 18 *' Joseph Hoff— paid three pounds, and Simon

Loose the rest .. . 315s.

*-^ 19 ^' Henry Bush and Jacob Sharpenstones 4 is,

" 20 " William Beedle 4

" 21 " John Piatt and Isaac Veal 3 I6s.

" 22 *' Eliphalet Piatt and Jacob Everson 4

" 23 " William Allen 4

Small seats in front of pulpit, to Daniel Ward, Jun I 2s.

The expense of repairing W|3,s ^jS, is., 8d. In
1774, at one of the regular meetings, the church
was first called in the Records the " Pittsberry
Church."

During the summer of 1777, a band of Tories
from the the lower part of the county, to the num-
ber of nearly four hundred, came to the neighbor-
hood and made their head-quarters at the church.
Throughout the border settlements such parties
were sent out to intimidate the patriots, and obtain
supplies for the British army. Then too, such
invasions, would naturally frighten the patriot
families, and lead them to throw themselves upon
the Government for protection, and have a ten-
dency to draw the volunteers from Gates' army
and thereby weaken it, and ensure success to Bur-
goyne's invasion. That General's success in reach-
ing Albany was the great point to be gained, and
everything was resorted to, that would ensure it.
Gates had drawn upon every locality, this not
excepted, but not to such an extent as to leave
their famiKes unprotected. The Tories doubtless
were great braggarts and very impudent, and gave
their edicts with threats of extermination if not com-
plied with. While they were thtis showing author-
ity, and anticipating submission, the patriots sent a
messenger to Sharon, Connecticut, where lay a
small company, which immediately marched to the
reUef of their patriotic brethren, receiving additions
to their numbers as they passed along the route.

When the force arrived at the Hollow the Tories
were upon the interval to the south of the church
" on parade, " and did not observe the patriots
until they were before them with cocked guns and
"glistening bagonets" A demand to surrender
put the " brave paraders " in an excitement, that



TOWN OF PLEASANT VALLEY.



313



led them to charge upon the hill, with "quickened
tread. " The Yankees fearful of losing their com-
pany, gave them a broadside and killed several,
which changed the resolution of quite a number of
their companions, who saw they could not escape,
and ended the afifair by giving themselves up as
prisoners of war. They were about thirty in num-
ber and were placed in file and marched to Sharon,
from whence they were taken to safe quarters,
principally to New Hampshire, and held until the
war closed.

Having occupied the church, they injured the
same, which a committee was appointed to repair
in 1778.

On the 20th of November, 1780, another meet-
ing was held at the house of Rev. Wheeler Case,
at Pleasant Valley, and a subscription taken to
pay the expense of such repairs. In 1803 they
commenced again to repair the old building, and
finished in 1805. Here the records close, and, as
will be seen, the church at Pleasant Valley re-or-
ganized this one at a later date. Why the original
organization was not continued can not be ascer-
tained, but in all probability that village became
the leading centre, and either society not being
able to sustain a church, that society consumed
this one. We are assured by Mr. Milton Ham,
that for several years after 1805, this church was in'
connection with that at Hughsonville. , The old
building stood until the year 1858, when it was
taken down, and the property drifted into the hands
of the Methodists, who built the present edifice
that year. It will be novel, perhaps to those inter-
ested, to learn that each page of the old church
book bore the stamp of King George the Third
according to the famous stamp act.

During the war of 181 2, the sacred walls of the
old church were again the quarters of a large com-
pany of soldiers who were on the march to the
northern borders. About twenty cannon were in
their charge to be taken to Sackett's Harbor,
and they rested here, using the church as a sleep-
ing apartment.

The next settlement of importance within the
town was near the village of Pleasant Valley,
about the year 1740, by both Quakers and Presby-
terians from Rhode Island and Connecticut. The
latter, in the year 1765, united with those of the
Hollow in worship, when they built a church un-
der the pastorate of Rev. Mr. Case. The earUest
settlers were the Aliens, Marshalls, Harrises, Sel-
lecks, Formans, Beadles and Flaglers. Soon fol-
lowed several more families of Quakers, among



whom were the Deans, Brights, Adees, Abbotts
and others, who began to make us^ of the mill
privileges afforded by the Wappinger creek. But
nothing of much importance, more than for the
convenience of the immediate settlers was built
before 1808-10.

John Kenyon built a fulUng mill east of the vil-
lage in 1808, where now stands Bowers' factory.
It was afterwards run by William Buckley. Thom-
as Carpenter built a carding mill, where George
Everson erected a woolen factory the year follow-
ing. In 1810, Daniel Dean commenced printing
calico, near " Bowman's Mills," in a small way.
The ground work of the cloth was blue and by a
device of his own, he varied the color by putting
on white spots, of paste, which when dampened
would disappear. Being a Quaker and partial to
fair dealing, he would invariably say to his custom-
ers,' " I will warrant the blue to be a fast color but
the white may wash out. " In 1809, Robert
Abbott established the present cotton factory near
the bridge. He erected two buildings, one a grist
and cotton mill, the other for mechanical shops.
The former was 34 by 80 feet and the latter 36 by
102 feet in dimensions. The enterprise became a
stock concern and did a lucrative business, but
January 27, 181 5, it was burned. The same year
the present structure was rebuilt by Delavergne &
Thwing, who, either as owners of the property or
building contractors, failed. We think it was a
stock concern up to the year 1820, when John
Gibbons and George Everson purchased it, and
from that time up to the purchase of Garner 8c Co.,
the present owners, it oscillated from individual to
stock control. Since the estabUshment of this
factory, the Farrington family have been connected
with it in various capacities. At the present time
Edward Farrington is the superintendent, under
whom fifty hands find steady employment. Thirty-
five hundred spindles are kept busily in motion,
driven by a powerful engine.

The cloth here manufactured, is printed at Wap-
pinger's and compares favorably with other American
products of the kind. The village becoming quite
a manufacturing centre, and increasing in popula-
tion, Israel Dean a Quaker and son-in-law of Rob-
ert Abbott, organized a boarding school in 1809,
similar to the "Nine Partners school." It was
well attended by the youth of the place in addition
to about twenty boarding pupils, and was kept in
operation about ten years. The season following,
the " Friends " becoming numerous, built the pres-
ent church edifice. Their meetings previous tq



3'4



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



that year had been held in private houses, princi-
pally in that of Jonathan Dean's. When the church
was built, the supports in the inside were turned
with a bead near their top, as an embellishment j
this, modest John Bright thought to be vanity,
and to show his repugnance to such things, he
whittled them off with his jack-knife. The village
still growing and the inhabitants anticipating a
briUiant future, they petitioned to the Government
for a postoffice, which was answered, and establish-
ed in 1813. Another petition went to the Legis-
lature for ah act of incorporation as follows : —

"Beginning at the Eighth mile board from
Poughkeepsie on the Duchess Turnpike road,
thence due south sixty chains, thence west along
the line of the 8th and 9th Nine Partners lot to a
station, ten chains from the East Shore of the great
Wappinger Creek — thence southerly in a direct
line ten chains to a point where the lands of Peter
Flagler Dan'l Carpenter and Halstead Price join
each other, — thence North seventy-five degrees
west, forty chains or to the west side of the said
turnpike road — Thence due north to a point bear-
ing due west from the mile stone aforesaid^ thence
due east to the said mile stone being the place of
beginning."

It was further enacted that : —

"John Robert Abbott, John Beadle, Israel Dean,
Hubby Adee and Joshua Ward, be and hereby
appointed the first trustees in and for the said vil-
lage of Pleasant Valley to serve from and after the
passing of this act, until the second Tuesday of
May, which will be in the year one thousand eight
hundred and fifteen inclusive, or until others shall
be elected in their stead."

There seems to be no record of the doings of
the corporation until May 9, 1843, when William
Thorn, Franklin Dudley, Zachariah S. Flagler,
Gilbert Noxen and Joel Terrill were elected trus-
tees; Franklin Dudley, president, Joel Terrill,
clerk. In 1 844, another meeting of the free-holders
was called for the election of officers, but so few
responded that nothing was done.

The board, then consisting of Franklin Dudley,
Zachariah Flagler and Joel Terrill, convened on
the 27th of March 1851, but feeUng delicate about
taking the responsibihty of transacting any business
without the presence of freeholders, they adjourn-
ed, and nothing was done until the excise law was
passed in 1862, when by that act, "special pro-
ceedings should be taken in incorporated villages."



Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 63 of 125)