James H. (James Hadden) Smith.

History of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 67 of 125)
Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 67 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


into business with his father and continued with
him fifteen years. In May 1857 h'e was united in
marriage with Charlotte, daughter of Thomas W.
Pearsall, of New York, and to them were born three
sons, Thomas Pearsall, Chester and Oakleigh.

In 1862 Mr. Thorne retired from business in
New York and at the death of his wife in 1867,
spent the following year in Europe. On his return
home he purchased the Thorndale farm from his
father and moved his stud of horses, with the stal-
lion Hamlet at its head, from his farm in Orange
County to Thorndale and gave his attention more
closely to the breeding of trotting horses and Jer-
sey cattle. At the present time he has a fine herd
of fifty Jersey cattle. Always having considered
the Mambrino family the best family of trotting
horses his attention has been given to the bringing
together the different branches of that family.
In furtherance of that idea he purchased in 1 868 the
three year old colt, Thorndale, [sired by Alexander's
Abdallah, the sire of Goldsmith Maid, (record 2:14)
1st dam Dolly, by Mambrino Chief,(the sire of Lady
Thorne, record 2:i8J) 2d dam by a son of the thor-
oughbred horse Potomac, 3d dam by the thorough-
bred horse Saxe Weimar,] that has since occupied
the position at the head of the Thorndale stud. After
keeping him eight years in the stud without training-
he put hira in the hands of a trainer and in less than
three months he won a race of five heats and se-
cured him a record of 2:22^.-' He is the only stal-
lion with a record below 2:23^ that has two repre-
sentatives with a record below 2:20, viz: Daisy-
dale, who scored a heat in 1880 of 2:19!, and
Edwin Thorne, who scored the three fastest con-
secutive heats with one exceptioij, trotted in a race
in 1881, viz: 2:17^, 2:18^, and 2:18^. This was
in his race against Piedmont and six others at
Hartford July 25. It created a sensation amongst
those who witnessed it that will be long remem-
bered by them as a remarkable performance, and
one tl^at not only stamped him as a race-horse of
no common merit, but added additional luster
to the name of his already noted sire. The name
of Thorndale among the breeders and lovers of
trotting horses is becoming as well known an^ong
horsemen as that name among the Dukes and
Duchesses to the short-horn breeders. The Thorn-
dale stud at present numbers about fifty head,
comprising in its numbers matrons of renown and




"THORNDALE," THE F^M BARNS AND TRAININGS'











TABLES OF EDWIN THORNE. MILLBROOK, N. Y. [




Photo, by Vail, Pouglikeepsie.



HON. JACOB B. CARPEKTER.



BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES.



333



young things that are destined to rank with their
half-brother and sister Edwin Thome and Daisy-
dale, on the trotting tracks.

The farm Ues in a fertile valley and is watered
by the essential requisite of a well ordered stock
farm, those running streams which are fed by never
failing springs. It adjoins Millbrook Station
on the Duchess and Columbia Railroad, and the
house which is located in the midst of a grove of
pine, oak and maple is approached through a lodge
and winding drives. A beautiful lake which is
stocked with trout, and on the border of which is
a large conservatory, is in view from the house.

Mr. Thome pays close attention to the minutest
details in connection with his large farm, and the
buildings and improvements are in perfect accord
with the reputation the place sustains.

Mr. Thome is well known in the agricultural
and trotting-horse breeding world, having been
President in 1876, of the New York State Agri-
cultural Society, and First Vice-President of the
National Trotting Association for many years.



Hon. JACOB B. CARPENTER.

Jacob Bockde Carpenter belongs to a family
which for generations has been identified with the
history of Duchess County. Its representatives
have for the most part been actively engaged in
business, and have usually been successful, and
have always maintained the position and influence,
which an honorable and prosperous business life
commands.

Benjamin Carpenter the grandfather of Jacob B.,
was living upon his farm in the town of Stanford,
more than a hundred years ago, largely engaged in
agricultural pursuits, raising blooded horses and
various other enterprises. He was a member of
that most remarkable " Federal Company," which
early in the present century, was conducting man-
ufacturing and commercial enterprises second to
none in the county at that day. With a business
centre at the " Square," a small hamlet in the town
of North East, and with a water front twenty-five
miles distant in the city of Poughkeepsie, at the
Main street landing, of which the company was
part owner, this company exported to other coun-
tries the products of fields and factories, sending
out its own vessels and returning with the produce
of other climes, which in the course of business
supplied Eastern Duchess and Western Connecti-
cut. His honorable career was closed by death in

1837.

Morgan Carpenter, the youngest son of Benja-
min, inherited the homestead, as he did the business
activity and sound judgment of his father. The
Royal sheep flocks of France and Spain becoming
accessible for the first, about the commencement
of his business life, he soon purchased additional
lands and, increasing his flocks to thousands, be-
came one of the leading wool growers of the State.



He was also a stock-holder in the old Whaling
company and many other financial and commercial
enterprises, and one of the Judges of the County
Court under the old constitution. Always avoid-
ing litigation and controversy, he was a man of
clear sound judgment in business affairs; of great
liberality and public spirit as a citizen, and affec-
tionately devoted to his family. Twenty of the
last years of his Hfe were passed in the city of
Poughkeepsie, where he died in 1871, at the age
of seventy-six.

In early life he married Maria Bockde, a woman
of much culture and refinement, possessing a vig-
orous mind, tempered with an amiable and lovely
disposition. The union of more than half a cen-
tury, was unusually prosperous and happy and
closed by her death in 1870, her husband surviving
her but a short year.

Catherine B. the oldest of the seven children
of Morgan and Maria Carpenter who survived
their parents, became the wife of George B. Lent,
of Poughkeepsie, and died in 1879. She is re-
membered as a lady of high literary and social
distinction ; her ready pen being often recognized
in the public journals of the day, and her charities
were frequent and liberal to the needy and suffer-
ing. Mary is the wife of Edward G. Tyler, of
Canandaigua ; Louisa resides in Indianapolis ;
Sarah M. dwells in her home in Poughkeepsie, and
is a member of the State Board of Charities, dis-
tinguishing herself by her zealous and efficient
work in the cause of fallen humanity ; Isaac S.
and B. Piatt Carpenter are spoken of in other
pages of this worK.

Hon. Jacob B. Carpenter, the oldest son of
Morgan and Maria Bockde Carpenter was born
in the town of Stanford, where his father and
grandfather had been established before him.
His birth occurred on the i6th day of July, 1826.
He graduated at Union College in 1845. For 18
years subsequent to that time he followed his in-
herited rural tastes and business activities on his
farms in the towns of Stanford and North East.
These occupations did not, however, prevent his
taking an active interest in the public affairs of his
native town and county. In 1855, he was a
representative of Stanford in the Board of Super-
visors. In 1856, he became a member of the
State Legislature. He was a Presidential Elector in
1 860 casting his vote in the Electoral College for
Abraham Lincoln. In 1864, he retired from ac-
tive agricultural pursuits, and removed with his
family to the city of Poughkeepsie. From 1 866 to
x868, he was engaged in large financial enterprises
in the then Territory of Colorado and during that
comparatively brief period, crossed the plains
back and forth twelve times by stage. In 1870
he became again a member of the County Board
of Supervisors^ and in 1872 was elected to the
State Legislature for the second time. In 1875,
-'76 he was Mayor of the city of Poughkeepsie,
and also Receiver of the Poughkeepsie & East-
ern railroad. Since the latter period he has
moved upon one of his farms in the town of Wash-



334



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



ington during the summer, and spends his winters
in the city of New York, and is now one of the
managers of the Hudson River State Hospital.

In January, i860, he married Miss Sarah Thorn,
daughter of the late Stephen Thorn of Pough-
keepsie, by whom he has two children. Minnie T.,
the oldest of these has recently returned from an
European tour, and the younger, May, is yet a
school-girl. Taken together these facts present a
particularly typical and honorable American hfe.
It is of the highest credit to the educated Ameri-
can farmer, as well as to the man. The measure
of every calling has been filled, farmer, executive
officer, legislator and statesman. To have been
easily equal to these is a just encomium. Had
there been a desire in that direction his official
life might readily have been advanced or pro-
longed, but in every case the office has sought
the man and not the man the office, he having re-
fused oftener than accepted public employment.
The county has at no time produced a man of
higher integrity, of more solid judgment, or of more
intimate acquaintance with questions of public
business and private interest. Nor has it pro-
duced any who have been more frequently invoked,
or more implicitly relied upon by individuals or
by the community at large. The whole record is
clear and comprehensive, every relation of life has
been filled, private and public, and in all there is
yet neither criticism or blemish.



EDGAR M. VANDERBURGH.

Edgar M. Vanderburgh was born in Columbia
County. His ancestors were old residents of
Duchess County, his father having removed from
there to Columbia County in 1820. Edgar M.
was married in 1843 to Hannah Sutherland, of
Stanford, by whom he had three children : Anna,
Amelia and Henry. Mr. Vanderburgh moved to
Duchess County in 1845, and settled in the town
of Stanford. He was elected Superintendent of
common schools in 1849, and again in 1850, '51,,
'52 and '53. In 1857 and '58, he was elected
Supervisor of the town, serving two years. In
1864 he was elected to the office of Superinten-
dent of the county poor, which position he held
for six consecutive years. Mrs. Vanderburgh died
in 1853, and for his second wife he married Kate
Lockwood, widow of John F. Lock wood, in 1871,
when he moved on the place he at present occu-
pies.

Mr. Vanderburgh has retired from the political
field and devotes his time to the supervision of his
large farm, situated in the village of Lithgow, town
of Washington. The farm is in a fine state of cul-
tivation, the house and grounds presenting a pic-
turesque appearance, as an examination of the
picture of his residence, in this volume, will
prove.

Mr. Vanderburgh is a firm believer in the Chris-



tian religion ; that Christian unity should embrace
the faithful of all denominations ; that Christ is
more than the creed; that Christianity is more
than the sect, and that Christian character should
be the test of Christian fellowship.



CHAPTER XXVIII.
History of the Town of Amenia.

THE town of Amenia lies on the extreme east-
ern border of Duchess County. It is
bounded on the north by North East ; south by Do-
ver ; east by Kent and Sharon, (Conn.); and west
by Washington and Stanford.

Weebutook, or Ten Mile River, flows through
the eastern part of the town, rising in the town of
North East, and flowing south. The only other
streams of importance are Wassaic creek and
West brook.

In the eastern part extend the Taconic Moun-
tains, while the western part is broken up by the
highlands belonging to the Fishkill range. Be-
tween these two ranges lies a broad and exception-
ably fertile valley.

The New York & Harlem Railroad passes
through the town from northeast to the extreme
southwest corner, running through the two princi-
pal villages — Amenia and Wassaic.

The town of Amenia was formed March 7, 1788.

The Precinct of Amenia was formed by an act
of the Colonial Legislature, March 20, 1762.

This territory had been included in Crom Elbow
Precinct, and was about twelve miles in length
and of an average width of four and a half miles.
The Prficinct of Amenia was to consist of the nine
easternmost tier of lots of the Lower or Great
Nine Partners tract, and of that part of the Ob-
long lying between these lots and the Connecticut
line. This included the present town of Amenia
and all th|t part of the present town of North East
south of a line running through the northern part
of the present town of Millerton. The town of
Amenia, when organized, had the same geograph-
ical Umits, which it retained till March 26, 1823,
when the towns of Amenia and North East were so
reorganized as to change the boundary between
them as it now exists.

/ The Great Nine Partners Patent, granted in
/1697 to Caleb Heathcote and others, embraced ;
/very nearly the territory now included in the towns, |
I of Clinton, Pleasant Valley, Washington, Stanford,
Amenia, except the Oblong, and the south part of /




" ROSE-LAWN "—RESIDENCE OF EDGAR M,



V




VANDERBURGH. WASHrNGTON. N. Y.



TOWN OF AMENIA.



335



North East, except the Oblong. This grant was
made before the Oblong was ceded to New York,
and was bounded east by what was then the colony
line.

The Oblong, or " Equivalent Land,"* ceded in
1731, after years of controversy, to New York by
Connecticut, was 580 rods in width, and was
divided into two tiers of square lots, called five
hundred acres each, though exceeding that. It
was sold by the Colonial government of New York
to Hawley & Co., and allotments were made to the
individuals of the Company, and by them sold to
emigrants, "who received a guarantee of title from
the Colonial government." " It was this security
of title which caused these lots to be eagerly sought
after by emigrants." The Crown also gave a deed
of these lands to an English company, which en-
deavored to maintain its claim in the EngUsh court
of chancery, and the suit was brought to an end
only by the Revolutionary war. This land was
surveyed and divided by Cadwallader Colden, Sur-
veyor-General and Lieutenant-Governor of New
York, who was one of the Commissioners, An-
other of the Commissioners was Gilbert Willett.
They became owners of some of the land. The
Oblong lots included in Amenia were numbers 43
to 72.

The name " Oblong," which at first was applied
to the whole tract, became, after a few years, limit-
ed to that valley in Amenia, of some six or seven
miles in extent, now Amenia Union and South
Amenia. The name of this town originated in the
poetical fancy of Young, the American poet, and
was first appUed about the time of the organization
of the Precinct. It is derived from a Latin word,
which signifies pleasant. " Aammna." Pleasant.
De loeis prcRcipue dicitur "— appUed principally to
places, and though so appropriate a name, and
agreeable, it had not been given to any other town
or locality in the county.

Dr. Thomas Young, the poet, was a gentleman
of learning who lived some years at Amenia Union,
where he married a daughter of Capt. Garrett
Winegar. He was highly distinguished as a phi-
losopher, philanthropist and patriot, and for his
erudition and brilliancy of imagination.

The first settlers in this region found several
scattered remnants of the Indian race, generally
beUeved, on the authority of Trumbull, the histo-
rian, to be remnants of the Pequot Tribe, whose
hunting grounds extended up and down these
valleys. ^

• 61,440 acres.



In 1740, the Moravian missionaries began among
these Indians their successful labors ; but charged
with being Jesuits and emissaries of the French,
they were persecuted by the officers of the colonial
government, and in a few years were driven from
their field of labor and from the State.

After the dispersion of the Moravian Indians,
one of the missionaries, Rev. Joseph Powell,
ministered to a congregation of the early settlers
at the station in Amenia, near Indian Pond, where
he died in 1774. Here on the field of his labors,
in the burial ground of the brethren, near their
house of worship, he was buried, with some of his
people. Here also the monumental stone says
James Alworth died, 1786, aged 73, and Mary
Alworth died 1797, aged 79. Others were also
buried here. This ground consecrated by mission-
ary work and christian burial, is on the farm of
Col. Hiram Clark, in the present town of North
East, not far east of his house, and on the west
side of Indian Pond.

The first white man who had a dwelling here
was Captain Richard Sackett. He was here some
years before any other settlement was made,
though the precise year when he brought his family
is not known. He had been an EngUsh sea-cap-
tain, and was a man of intelligence and capabil-
ity. It would seem that he attempted to do here
what his friend Livingston had done in Columbia
County — bargained with the Indians for a consid-
erable tract of land, and endeavored to cover it
with a confirmation by the colonial government.
In this attempt he failed and came to poverty,
while Livingston succeeded and became the lord
of an extensive manor.

The place now known as the " Steel Works," on
the Wassaic creek and the Harlem Railroad, was
where Richard Sackett made his settlement, which
is said to have been previous to 1711.

In the Colonial Records we find that on the
nth of March, 1703, " Richard Sackett petition-
ed government for license to purchase [of the
Indians] a tract of land in Duchess County, east
of Hudson's River, called Washiack." The license
was granted October 20, 1703. "November 2,
1704, Patent to Richard Sackett & Co., for said
land, containing about seven thousand five hun-
dred acres, or thereabouts." "April 10, 1706,
Patent to Sampson Boughton & Co., for a tract
of land joining on north side of above patent, and
extending east to the Colony Une of Conn., and
Waantinunk river, and north to the manor of
Livingston."



336



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



Mr. Sackett was a resident of New York City
when he obtained the license and patent of 1703
and 1704. In 1711 and 1712, he was one of the
Commissioners with Robert Livingston in setthng
the Palatines at East Camp, or Germantown. This
occupied so much of these two years that he could
not have passed much of his time here in his new
home at " Washiack."

The patent of 1704 must have been covered by
the Great Nine Partners Grant, made May 27,
1697, making Mr. Sackett's subsequent title in-
valid. The patent of April 10, 1706, to Sampson
Boughton & Co., was that of Little Nine Part-
ners, and Mr. Sackett was one of the nine. In
1726, Mr. Sackett made application to the Con-
necticut Legislature for license to purchase of the
Indians a tract of land in the west of the town of
Sharon, but his petition was denied, though re-
peated several times. He was never able to main-
tain his title to any of the Oblong lots, nor could his
heirs, who, through his son, Dr. John Sackett, at-
tempted, in 1750, under the grant of 7,5°° acres,
to hold some of these lands against Lieutenant-
Governor Colden and others.

Richard Sackett died in 1746, and was buried
on the liill not far from his place of residence, in a
little cemetery now greatly neglected, and in which
there is no stone to mark his grave. He had three
sons and two daughters, Richard, John, Josiah
Crego, Mary and Catharine.

A long interval elapsed between the first ingress
of a white man and the immigration of the New
Englanders. For thirteen years or more the family
of Richard Sackett was entirely alone, and only a
few German families were added during the next
period of equal length.

In 1724, Captain Garrett Winegar came to that
part of Amenia now known as Amenia Union.
His enterprise and excellent personal character
made him a leading spirit, and it may be consid-
ered that he was the principal in this emigration
rather than his father, Uldrick Winegar, who came
with him, and who was then seventy- two years old.
They came here from The Camp, now German-
town, on the Hudson River, in Columbia County,
and were of that company of Palatines who were
forced, destitute, from their native country in the
interior of Germany by the hand of Papal persecu-
tion.

Befriended by the British Government, they were
sent to America, and made their settlement at the
Camp in 17 10. It is a reasonable conjecture that
Mr. Wi!iegar's acquaintance with Richard Sackett



at the Camp may have led him to come to Amenia,
and it is evident that he was actuated by a spirit of
independence and enterprise, and not by any de-
sire for speculation. He settled at Amenia
Union, where he built his house, upon land .to
which he had no title except from the Indians
until the Oblong was confirmed to New York and
surveyed, when he received a title at a reasonable
price, from the proprietor of these lots.

In 1739, Mr. Winegar purchased of Daniel Jack-
s6n three or four hundred acres of land in Con-
necticut, adjoining his own, and removed into the
house built by Mr. Jackson on the hill above the
site of the brick factory, thus becoming a citizen of
the town of Sharon. He built a mill above the
present mill sites of the place, which was not only
the first mill in this part of the country, but was
the first building erected in the town of Sharon.*
With the Indians by whom he was surrounded he
was always on friendly terms, and was regarded by
them with the greatest respect, and it is worthy of
note that, notwithstanding the early settlers lived
in the midst of large numbers of Indians, there is
no mention of any block-house or other means or
defence against them ; while in Litchfield, between
1729 and 1730, there were five houses surrounded
by palisades, and " soldiers were stationed there to
guard the inhabitants while at work and at worship
on the Sabbath."

Garrett Winegar died in 1755, in the midst of
his enterprises. His father, Uldrick Winegar, had
died the year previous, at the advanced age of 102
years. Their graves, and those of many of their
descendants, are in the burial ground near Amenia
Union. Over the grave of the patriarch of this
family is an old stone bearing the following inscrip-
tion : "In memory of Mr. Uldrick Winegar, Died
March 3, 1754, J&. 102." This stone is much older
than the date given. It had evidently 'been recut
to mark the grave of Mr. Winegar, for there are
still visible the tracings of the original inscription,
a portion of which consists of the date 1664 —
ninety years before. Near by is the stone which
marks the grave of " Captain Garrett Winegar who
died July 22, 1755."

Hendrick Winegar, the oldest son of Garrett,
had his residence for several years near the foot of
the West Mountain, and in 1761, built the large
stone and brick house just west of Amenia Union.
He was the ancestor of the families of that name
in Kent, Conn.

* This mill has sometimes been erroneously confounded with Esq.
Kellogg's old mill, which was built in 1773.



TOWN OF AMENIA.



337



Uldrick, another son, was the grandfather of
Capt. Samuel Snyder Winegar. Conrad Wine-
gar, another son of Garrett, was a magistrate and
prominent citizen of the town. His antique and
quaint looking old house, which stood near the
rocks in the rear of Samuel Hitchcock's house, re-
mained until about 1820. His only son, Gerhard,
or Garrett, the grandfather of Garrett H., was an
officer in the Revolution, and died before the close
of the war.

Lieutenant Samuel Snyder, who was one of the
Palatines, and came here with them, was brother-
in-law to Garrett Winegar, and his wife was the
daughter of Henry Nase. His "house was where
John D. Barnum lives. He died in 1808, at the
age of ninety-five.

Another family who it is supposed came to this
town soon after the Winegars, and previous to
1731', were the Rows. They also were Ger-
man, and are supposed to have been of the Pala-
tines. "Johannes Rouh died in 1768, aged 72
years." He lived where the brick house now
stands built by Henry Morehouse. He was the
father of Nicholas, Sr., and William. The sons
of Nicholas, Sr., were Nicholas, Jr., Samuel,
Conrad and Garrett. Conrad lived where Walter



Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 67 of 125)