James H. (James Hadden) Smith.

History of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 74 of 125)
Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 74 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


year of his ministry, in 1877-8, he erected, at a
cost of about $26,000, including rich stained glass
windows, steam heating apparatus and other fix-
tures, the present magnificent structure, which
compares favorably with any similar structure, even
in the city of Poughkeepsie, where the churches
are generally exceptionally fine, and we doubt if it
is equaled in any place of its size in the State or
country. The corner-stone of the new church was
laid by Cardinal McCloskey,* Sept. 22, 1877, and
the church was dedicated by Vicar General Will-
iam Quinn, Oct. 27, 1878. The seating capacity
of the church is about 850. The congregation
now numbers from 1,300 to 1,400.

New Hamburgh.

New Hamburg, known at an early day as Wap-
pinger Creek postoffice, is finely situated on the
Hudson, at the mouth of Wappingers Creek, in
the angle formed by the junction of these streams.
It is a station on the Hudson River Railroad, by
which it is 835 miles south from Poughkeepsie,
and is connected by a ferry with Marlborough,
in Ulster county. It contains two churches,
(Presbyterian t and Methodist,) and an Episcopal
chapel, which is occasionally supplied by the rector
at Wappingers Falls, a union school, one private
school, of five or six pupils, kept by Miss Caroline
Brower, three hotels, % five stores, two shoe shops,
kept by Abraham Myers and H. B. Merritt, two
tin shops, kept by T. S. Merritt and William
Parker, two blacksmith shops, kept by John V.an-
nosdall and John Terwilliger, one wagon shop,
kept by Hobert VanNostrand, a cooper shop, kept
by John B. Moore, and employing several men.
W. Millard & Son, are dealers in lumber and
building materials, including hardware and coal.
The village has a population of about 500.

New Hamburgh has considerable commerce.
There are two landings, an upper and a lower, the
former kept by William Hasbrook, and the latter
by Vermilyea & Jackson, both of whom do a
freighting business between here and New York,
Albany, Newburgh and Poughkeepsie. The Bud-
son Taylor, Capt. Wm. P. Drake, leaves at seven
o'clock every morningh for Newburg and Pough-

* This was the first comer-stone laid by him as Cardinal.

t Owning to our inability to obtain access to the record of this church,
we are unable to give its history.

t VanAnden's Hotel, kept by Marvin VanAnden i the Central House,
kept by Jacob Madison, and the Perrine House, kept by Charles H.
Ferrine.



368



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



keepsie, sloping at intermediate landings. The
Mary Powell, stops here in the morning on the
trip down,and in the afternoon on the up trip.

Wappingers Creek is spanned within the village
by a fine iron swing-bridge, which was erected in
1879, 3.t a cost of about $10,000. It is the only
county bridge in Duchess County, being the only
one which crosses tide water. The Hudson River
Railroad also crosses it on a draw-bridge. This
was the scene of a dreadful accident on the night
of Feb. 6, 187 1,* which resulted in the loss of many
Uves by fire and water, the number who perished be-
ing variously stated at from twenty-two to forty.
The accident was caused by the coUision of an up
passenger train with the wreck of a down oil train,
which was thrown from the track by a broken axle.
Fire was conmunicated to the wreck of the two
trains by the furnace of the passenger locomotive,
and from these to the railroad bridge, which soon
fell with a crash, carrying with it, and burying in
the ice and water the burning cars, from one of
which the passengers, too much stunned and in-
jured by the coDision, were unable to escape.
David Simmons, the brave engineer of the passen-
ger train, doubtless saved many lives, though at
the sacrifice of his own, by adhering to his trust.

The growth of the village was neither early nor
rapid. The first impulse was given to it about
i8io, by John Drake, who is believed to have
been the first merchant at this point. He first
did a mercantile and freighting business on the
east side of the creek, in the locality of the east
end of the iron bridge, on the site of Disbrow &
Brown's foundry. About 1808, he built the first
bridge across Wappingers Creek. He obtained a
charter, which required him to keep the bridge a
certain number of years at his own expense, after
which it became a county charge. The present
bridge is still known as Drake's bridge, though it
is the third one on that site.

About 1 810, Mr. Drake removed to the site of
New Hamburgh village, which then had only two
houses — the house at the lime kiln, which was then
occupied by Ephriara Dubois, and stood on the
site of the brick house now owned by A. Tower
of Poughkeepsie ; and one which stood near the
east end of Millard's coal shed, to which place it
was removed from its original site, and which was
torn down by Mr. Millard when the shed was built.
The former house was torn down about thirty years
ago, by Adolphus Bower, who then erected the



* Rough's Gazetteer 0/ the State of New Yor^, 1872, erroneously
states the date of this accident to be the night of Feb. s— 6, 1871,



present brick house, which, with the lime kiln prop-
erty, was sold by Bowers' heirs to Milton Griffin,
by whom it was sold to .Mr. Tower, who demolish-
ed the old lime kiln, which was in operation for
many years. There were three kilns, all of which
have been torn down. The adjacent quarry, which
is owned by Mr. Tower, furnishes a good lime-
stone, which is used as a flux in the furnaces in
Poughkeepsie.

About 181 2, Mr. Drake, in company with Sam.
uel Bogardus, built the dock and warehouse at the
Lower landing. Both were then quite diminutive
affairs, but have since been very much enlarged.
Drake's store was in the north part of the hotel,
now kept by Mr. Van Anden. In 1816, he erected
directly opposite it for a store, the stone building
now occupied by W. Millard & Son, for a sash and
paint house. He was ac^vely engaged in busi-
ness here for twenty-five or thirty years, and resided
here till his death.

Bogardus, Dearin & Co., did a mercantile and
freighting business in the building now occupied
by John Vermilyea. They were in business several
years, contemporary the latter part of the time with
Drake. They failed before 1818.

Peter Oakley, Monfort & Swards, and Millard
& Mills (Walter Millard and Uri Mills,) were early
and prominent merchants. Oakley remained here
several years. He removed to the vicinity of
Hopewell and died there. Monfort & Swards did
not stay long. They failed. Waltei- Millard was
interested in the freighting and lumber business
here till his death, since which time the property
has been owned by his heirs, though the dock
property — ^the Lower landing — has been rented to
various parties. His son, William B. Millard, who
was in company with his father at the time of his
death, has since carried on the lumber business.
Walter Millard was a native of Marlborough and
removed thence to New Hamburgh in 1824. He
was prominently identified with the business in-
terests of the village till his death, in August, 1880.
His heirs own a large portion of the productive
property of the village.

John Bishop is the oldest merchant now doing
business here. He was born about a mile north
of Barnegat. His grandfather, Caleb Bishop, came
here from Mount Pleasant, back of Sing Sing, soon
after the close of the Revolutionary war, and set-
tled on the river bank about a mile north of Barne-
gat, where he was engaged in quarrying and burn-
ing lime, an occupation which also employed his
sons John, William, Conrad, Caleb, Joshua and



TOWN OF POUGHKEEPSIE.



369



Gabriel. The homestead is still in the hands of
the family, belonging to the heirs of his son Philip,
whose widow is now living in Poughkeepsie, aged
seventy-eight. The merchants now engaged in
business here are: John Bishop, Marvin Van
Anden, John Myers, Francis Myers, all doing a
general mercantile business, and A. T. Williams,
druggist.

Soon after Drake's store was opened here, as
early as 1813, a postoffice was established and
called Wappingers Creek,* a name which seems
rlso to have been applied to the office at Wappin-
gers Falls at a later date. We were advised, how-
ever, by the best informed of the present inhabi-
tants that the office was estabhshed some forty
years ago, and that Walter Millard was the first
postmaster, being succeded in the office by Samuel
H. Jones, Francis Myers and William Ferris, the
latter of whom is the present incumbent.

Spafiford's Gazetteer of 1824, speaks of New
Hamburgh as " busy httle village,'' with " a hand-
some collection of houses,'' a landing, and "an
extensive store,'' which, he says, " has lately sprung
up" at the mouth of Wappingers Creek. Gordon,
writing in 1836, said it contained about twenty
dwelUngs, on both sides of the creek, an extensive
store, tavern and postoffice. The village suffered
from a disastrous fire May 3, 1877, involving the
loss of seven buildings, including Francis Myers'
" large store," the Madison House, four dwellings
and a barn, which were valued at nearly $40,000.

H. C. Millard & Co. are engaged in the manu-
facture of Knight's patent cement pipes, drain
pipes, chimney flues and stench traps, in which
Rosendale cement is chiefly used. The business
was established some thirteen years ago.

The village has neither lawyer nor physician.
No lawyer ever settled here, nor a physician for
any considerable period.

The M. E. Church of New Hamburgh was or-
ganized about twenty-five or twenty-six years ago,
a few weeks previous to its incorporation, by Rev.
Alonzo F. Sellick, who was for two years the pastor
of the church. Theodore Van Sicklen, Charles
GriflSn, Milton Griffin, John R. Vannosdall, John
M. Brower, Peter Brower, James H. Lawson and
John Brooks were prominent male members.

The church edifice was erected the same year as
the organization, at a cost of $800, the subscrip-
tions for the whole amount having been collected
by John R. Vannosdall.

Mr. Sellick's successors in thp pastorate have

• Spaford.s Qamtteer of 2few York, 1813, 176, and 1824, 415.



been : Matthew Van Duzeri, two years ; David B.

Turner, two years ; John Luckey, two years ;

Osborn, two years; Gould, one year;. Daniel

O. Ferris, two years ; Gilbert Townsend, one year ;

Horace Wood, one year ; Ferris, father of

Daniel O. Ferris, two years; Rev's. Morehouse and

Bishop, each two years ; " Happy David" and

Elgin, each one year; Rev's. Hauxhurst, Sagerand
Lent, each two years, and Abraham Davis, the
present pastor, who came upon the charge in the
spring of i88r. He resides at Low Point, in the
town of Wappinger, which is on the same charge
as New Hamburgh. The present number of mem-
bers is about thirty-five. The Sunday School was
discontinued in 1880.

Rochdale.

Rochdale is a small manufacturing village, situ-
ated in the northeast part of the town, on Wappin-
gers Creek, distant five miles northeast of the
court house, in Poughkeepsie, and about two and
a half miles east from Pleasant Valley and Van
Wagner's Station, both on the Poughkeepsie, Hart-
ford & Boston Railroad. There is no postoffice
and never has been. Mail is received from
Poughkeepsie.

Rochdale was formerly known as Whippleville,
from a family of that name who were interested in
manufacturing enterprises here. Its present name
was given by James Taylor,in honor of his native
place, the great center of the co-operative indus-
tries in England. It contains a district school, a
woolen mill and a population of about i6o, all of
whom are families connected with the woolen mill.
There is no church here, but religious services are
held in the school house. Episcopal services . are
held once in two weeks by Rev. John Henry
Nimnis, who is stationed at Lithgow. He also
preaches at Millbrook and Pleasant Valley.
Ministers of other denominations occasionally
preach here.

The history of the place centers in its manufac-
turing enterprises, more especially its cotton and
woolen manufactures. The water-power at this
point was used to propel a grist mill at an early
day, probably about the beginning of the present
century. This old mill was converted into a cot-
ton factory by Messrs. Taylor & Forbus, the
latter of whom ' has been dead for many years.
James Taylor, the senior partner, was bom in
Rochdale, England, in 1798, and in early life was
engaged in business in Poughkeepsie. In company
with Mr. Forbus he carried on an extensive busi-
ness at Rochdale, where he died April 14, 1877.



37<5



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



About 1850, Messrs. Taylor & Forbus were en-
gaged in litigation, during which time the property
at Rochdale lay idle. About 1854, John Goff
rented it, and run the mill for three years, when it
again lay idle for six years. In 1863, Elias Titus
bought the property, in company with his sons,
Robert, Richard and Henry, and the business has
since been conducted under the name of Elias Ti-
tus & Sons. The Messrs. Titus found the dams in
a dilapidated condition, and rebuilt them. They
are upon both arms of the stream, which is here
divided by an island of three or four acres. One
is of stone, about sixteen feet in height ; the other
of wood, about five and one-half feet. The build-
ings were then in pretty good repair, and to these
an addition forty-five by fifty feet was made by the
Messrs. Titus about 1867. The original grist-
mill now forms the rear portion of the present
mill. The first addition was made to the north
end of that building ; the second one, in the form
of an L, to the west end. The Messrs. Titus
changed it from a cotton to a woolen mill when
they first took possession. They commenced
with two sets of machinery, which have since been
increased to four. About sixty-five persons find
employment in this mill, nearly half of whom are
females, and about a thousand yards of white flan-
nel are made per day.

Elias Titus was a native of the town of Wash-
ington, in this county, and a son of John Titus, a
blacksmith, who lost his property during the Revo-
lution, but pursued his trade at Washington Hol-
low, where he also established the woolen business,
which he continued in a building now used as a saw-
mill, till his death. About 1830, EUas removed to
La Grange, where he and his brothers established
the woolen business on the east side of Wappingers
Creek, about five miles below Rochdale, which lo-
cality has acquired from this family the name of
TitusviUe, He afterwards carried on the business
alone for many years, but was latterly associated
for some ten years with his brother-in-law, Cyrus
Sweet, (who died in Poughkeepsie at an advanced
age,') and subsequently with his sons Robert, Rich-
ard and Henry, who now constitute the firm which
operates the factories both at Rochdale and Titus-
viUe, and with which he (EUas,) was connected till
his death. He died at TitusviUe, July 8, 1880, in
his 76th year. The TitusviUe factory contains four
sets of woolen machinery, and gives employment to
about forty persons ; but the finishing for the pro-
duct of this factory is done at the Rochdale Woolen
Mills, while previous to the increased facilities at



Rochdale, the finishing for that factory was done
at TitusviUe.

Manchester.

Manchester, named from Manchester, England,
is situated about three miles south-east of Pough-
keepsie, on Wappingers Creek, which, while every-
. where a picturesque stream, is, says Lossing, at no
point more lovely than along this plain. The
place, though never of overshadowing importance,
was of far more consequence at an earlier period
than at present, having been the seat of a respect-
able manufacturing industry. It now contains a
district school, an Episcopal chapel, (not now in
use,) fifteen dwellings, and a postoffice named
Manchester Bridge. There has been a postoffice
here for a great many years, though it has lapsed
at intervals for short periods. ' David S. Halstead,
the present postmaster, has held the office for a
number of years. On the east side of the creek is
a smaU grist-miU and blacksmith shop, the latter
kept by Isaac Wolever. The former, known as
the Manchester MiUs, of which Richard Kinworthy
is proprietor, contains two runs of stones, which are
propeUed by a smaU stream which empties into
Wappingers Creek at this point, and has a faU of
twelve feet.

East Poughkeepsie.

East Poughkeepsie consists of a few stores, two
taverns, and a meat market just east of the limits
of the City of Poughkeepsie, and two brick-yards,
the only remaining representatives in the town of
an industry once of greater importance than at
present. The Bull's Head, a somewhat noted »
hostlery at this place, has been kept for the last
eight years by H. H. Owen. It has been a tavern
stand for a great many years. The o^er tavern
is known as Ballard's Hotel, and is kept by Caleb
BaUard.

The two brick-yards are designated by the
names of their proprietors, Flagler & Wing and
Rose. The former was established thirty-four
years ago by Charles Vassar, who carried on the
business for something like a dozen years. His
successors have been Herman Ferguson, Abel
Adams, BedeU, Flagler & Wing, the latter of whom,
the present proprietors, have carried on the busi-
ness some fourteen years. In this yard eighteen
to twenty persons are employed and seventeen
thousand brick made per day. Rose's brick-yard
was started in the spring of i88i, by H. R. Rose,
who had previously carried on the business on the



TOWN OF POUGHKEEPSIE.



371



Davies farm twelve or thirteen years. Some twelve
persons are here employed and about fifteen
thousand brick made per day,

Clinton Point.

Clinton Point, formerly known as Barnegat, is
situated on the Hudson River railroad, about five
miles south of Poughkeepsie, and was once famous
for the quantity and quality of the limestone quar-
ried and burned in its vicinity, but is now deserted
and gone to decay. The business of quarrying
and burning lime at this place was commenced
about the beginning of the present century, and
continued till within some six years, since which
time no lime has been burned there. There were
at one time as many as ten kilns in operation here,*
and a very extensive business was done, lime being
shipped in large quantities during the latter part of
the time to New Jersey for use as a fertilizer. There
was formerly a postoffice here, but it was discon-
tinued about a year ago. George Piatt was the
last postmaster.

Milton Ferry.

Milton Ferry is a station on the Hudson River
railroad about four miles (3.89) soutlj of Pough-
keepsie and opposite Milton, in Ulster county.
Whitney & Sons, formerly had a berry-box manu-
factory at this place, but it was burned June 2,
1876, and the material saved from destruction was
immediately removed to Marlborough, where they
resumed business. The factory was an old struc-
ture and at the time of its destruction was giving
employment to thirty-six persons.

Van Wagner's.

Van Wagner's is a station on the Poughkeepsie,
Hartford & Boston Railroad, midway between
Poughkeepsie and Pleasant Valley. It derives its
name from Egbert Van Wagner, who owns nearly
all the property thereabouts, and gave the railroad
company the right of way through his lands, a dis-
tance of nearly three-fourths of a mile, in consid-
eration of their locating a station at that point.

Locust Grove.

Locust Grove, two miles below Poughkeepsie,
was the residence of the late Prof. Samuel F. B.
Morse, the inventor of the electric telegraph, and
is still the home of his family. Prof. Morse died
April 2, 1872, aged eighty years.

• Gordon sayj that in 1836 there were some twenty Itilns.



The old residence of Gov. George CUnton, six
miles south of Poughkeepsie, was standing till
within the last year or two. It was burned down,
and has not been rebuilt. The premises are now
owned by a person in New York City.

Town of Poughkeepsie in the War of the
Rebellion.

We cannot, in the space allotted us, hope to
give more than the legislative action of the town,
and in a condensed form, its results, during this
eventful period ; but this, perhaps, sufficiently re-
flects that unwritten history which is, in a measure,
indicated in the general history of the country.

The first recorded public action was on the 3d
of September, 1862, when an application was made
for a special town meeting to provide means for
paying a bounty to volunteers who had enlisted
since July 2d of that year, or who should thereafter
enlist to fill up the town's quota, and thus relieve
it from a draft.

The meeting was held at the house of Caleb
Ballard, Sept. 13, 1862, and presided over by the
Board of Town Officers : Anthony D. Woolsey,
Supervisor ; Thomas W. Jaycox, George L. Den-
nis and Henry Burroughs, Assessors ; and Samuel
Matthews, Town Clerk. Wm. S. Johnston, Stephen
Baker, Walter Millard, Samuel Brown and Samuel
Matthews were appointed to prepare resolutions
for the consideration of the meeting. The resolu-
tions so reported, were, after some emendations,
adopted. They provide,

" That a bounty of $100 be paid to all volunteers
who have enlisted prior to the 6th day of Septem-
ber, 1862, and that a bounty of $150 be paid to
all volunteers who have enlisted of may hereafter
enlist from and after the 6th day of September,
1862, to fill up the quota of said town under the
calls of July 2, 1862, and 5th of August, 1862, and
that the sum . necessary to pay said bounties be
levied and assessed upon the taxable property of
said town in the same manner as ordinary town or
county taxes are assessed, levied and collected."

The money thus raised was paid out in the fol-
lowing manner : —

To members of the 150th Regiment : —

Wm. M. Stilwell ; $150.00

Adna H. Jones 150.00

John Cass 150.00

Ambrose D. Albertson 150.00

Edmurid I. Van Wagner 150.00

James W. Myers 150.00

James Van Nosdall 150.00

Josiah Budd,. 150.00

Robert Wright 150.00

John Grade, , , , , ■ • • • 150.00



372



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



Joseph Moore $150.00

Thomas Newman 150.00

Robert Birth 150.00

Peter Shook 150.00

George C. Washburn 150.00

Wm. Kniffin 150.00

Briggs E. Smith 150.00

Rauson E. Bennett 150.00

John H. Smith 150.00

John Ward 150.00

John CoUin 150.00

Daniel S. Dubois 150.00

James Welch 150.00

Total $3,450.00

To members of the 167th Regiment: —

James R. Lee, Sr $ 150.00

James R. Lee, Jr 150.00

Jordan N. Lee 150.00

Wm. Brown 1 50.00

Henry Smith 150.00

Charles Dutcher 150.00

John Williams 150.00

Richard Tessell 1 50.00

George Storm 7S-oo

Total $1,275.00

To members of the 5th N.Y.V. (Corcoran Legion :)-

Edward Flynn $100.00

Peter Finerty 100.00

John Brady 100.00

John Murphy, No. i 100.00

Thomas Slowey 100.00

James Clark 100.00

J. W. Randall 100.00

Henry Can 100.00

John Murphy, 2d 100.00

James Graham 100.00

John Roach 100.00

Total $1,100.00

To members of the 4th N. Y. Cavalry : —

David Klein $100.00

Andrew Patterson 100.00

Robert Williams 100.00

Augustus StoUe 60.06

John Eraling /[ fiojoo

Wm. Barney 6000

Louis MuUer. 60.00

Charles Mainer \ 6o!oo

Charles Fisher ' 6o!oo

Henrie Huther [ 60 00

Herman Jones .• .■.■.■■.'.■ golgo

F. W. Endman 60 00

Benedict Abend 60 00

Henry Conlan .'.'.'.'.'.'.'.' 6o.'oo

Christian Schouten 60 00

Frederick Myer .".'.'.".'.'.'."." 6o'oo

Silas B. Adams 60 00

Thomas Healy 60 00

■r"**' $"^^



To members of the i68th N. Y. Vols :—

Charles H. Scott $75.00

Barnard McLaughlin 75-oo

Wm. Upright 75-oo

Charles McCormack 75.oo

Albert Mansfield 75:°°

Robert McBarney 75-oo

John B. Phillips 75-oo

Cromaline Diamond 7S-°°

Total $600.00

The total amount paid to volunteers to Feb. 26,
1863, was $7,625.

The following named persons enUsted prior to
Sept. 6, 1862, were applied on the quota of the
town under the call of July 2, 1862, and were en-
titled to the $100 bounty, as per resolution of
Sept. 13, 1862 : Charles W. Brower, George W.
Brower, Alonzo Barrett, J. W. C. Blauvelt, J. C.
Burhans, William Partington, William Conlan,
Edward S. Drury, I. B. Hielman, Silas Partington,
Thomas Jones, Andrew Jackson, Leonard Lawson,
Solomon Lawson, A. W. Myers, James Mowris,.
James H. Underdunk, Isaac E. Pye, George H.
Pollock.*

At a special town meeting held at the house of
William J. Bishop, on Monday, August i, 1864, it
was unanimously resolved that a bounty of $600
be paid to each volunteer credited on the quota of
the town under the call of July 18, 1864, for five



Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 74 of 125)