James H. (James Hadden) Smith.

History of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers online

. (page 79 of 125)
Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 79 of 125)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in that year for brewing purposes a building which
stood to the south of the present one, and was
burned about 1862. The present building was
erected immediately, after the destruction of the
other and two ice houses ; a barn and storehouse
were subsequently added. Frank & Klady con-
ducted the business for seventeen years, till Sep-
tember, 1875, when they dissolved, and V. Frank
continued it until 1878, when he surrendered it to
his sons, W. H. and V. Frank, Jr., who still carry
on the business. Ten men and a capital of be-
tween $60,000 and $70,000 are employed. In
1880, 7,915 barrels of lager were made.

The Kaal Rock, Gaas's and Beigel's breweries
are less extensive. Kaal Rock Brewery, located
on Kaal Rock, was established about 1866, by
Miller & Winkler, who operated it only about a
year. It was bought at sheriff's sale by Frederick
Gillman, who has since carried on the manufacture
of lager, and whose family are the only ones em-
ployed in the business. Gaa^s Brewery,loca.teda.t
68 Main street, was established in 1871, by John
Gaas, who has since carried on the business. He
makes about 500 barrels of lager per annum. Z.
Beige/' s Brewery, a.t 116 North Hamilton street,
was built about twenty-six years ago, by Jacob
Plowl, who carried on the business for five or six
years, till 1861, when L. Beigel purchased it, and
has since conducted it. The brewery which was
at first of small capacity, has been several times
enlarged by Mr. Beigel, who now employs three
persons and makes 700 to 800 barrels of lager per
annum.

T^e Southwick Tannery, situated on the river
bank, in the south part of the city, is not only one
of the oldest of Poughkeepsie's many manufactur-
ing establishments, but is the only survivor of its



• Vasmr Colhg, and its /ounder, by Benson J. Lossing, 203-4 ; and
The A merican Brewers' Gazette, May 10, 1880.



kind in the county, which once contained numerous
tanneries, Poughkeepsie having not less than four
till within a few years. In 1807, Zadock South-
wick removed to Poughkeepsie and built the house,
and tannery now owned and occupied by his
grandson, Willet H. Southwick. He laid down
fifty vats, and all of his nine boys worked with him
in the tannery and currying shop, or at the store
in the village, where the hides and pelts were
bought and the leather sold.

Edward C. Southwick was born in 1797, and in
1 81 6, in company with his brothers Willet H. and
Robert B., succeeded to his father's business in
Poughkeepsie, under the style of W. H. Southwick
& Co. The tannery contains fifty-four vats, gives em-
ployment to some twelve men, and tans about
2,500 to 3,000 sides per annum, mostly harness
leather.

The Poughkeepsie Pottery was established about
1820, by John Ball, and has since been conducted
successively by Ball & Bogardus, Edward Silbey,
John B. Caire & Co., (Jacob and George Caire,
sons of John B.,) who acquired possession about
1842, Jacob Caire, about 1852, Lehman & Riedin-
ger, in 1854, Riedinger & Caire, in 1857, and
Adam Caire, who acquired the interest of his part-
ner, Philip Riedinger, at the death of the latter
Dec. 3, 1878, and has since carried on the business.
The works are located on Bayeux and Bridge
streets, with the office at 141 Main street. They
give employment to thirty persons, and require a
capital of $50,000. The annual manufactured
product, consisting of common earth and stone
ware, drain and sewer pipes, and flower pots, in the
construction of which the Woodljridge and South «
Amboy clays, both from New Jersey, are used, is
valued at $100,000.

The Dutchess Iron Works, locsXtA 2\ 430 to 438
Main street, were established on their present site
in 1823, by Woqd & Frost, (Charles Wood and
Solomon B. Frost,) the latter of whom afterwards
sold to John Adriance, who subsequently pur-
chased Wood's interest, and at a later period asso-
ciated with himself Richard B. Gilbert. Isaac H.
Coller afterwards purchased Gilbert's interest and
was associated with Mr. Adriance, under the name
of Adriance & Coller, for six and a half years,
when Mr. Adriance sold to William Bushnell, who,
together with Thomas R. Payne, W. A. Candee'
and Edward German, successively held that interest
for brief periods, when it was purchased by Mr.
Coller, who also bought the interest of David H.
Barnes, who was associated with Messrs. Adriance



CITY OF POUGHKEEPSIE.



393



and Coller, under the name of Adriance, CoUer &
Barnes. Mr. Coller has since carried on the busi-
ness, having been associated one year with George
Hannah, and for a like period with John S. Shafter.
The foundry and a building formerly used as a
machine shop, but at present used as a store-room,
were erected by Messrs. Adriance & Coller; and
the salesroom, office and machine shop, the latter
in 1878, by Mr. Coller. A general foundry and
machine business is done, and employment given
to some six persons.

The Poughkeepsie Foundry, located at 372 and
374 Main street, was established in 183 1, by
Solomon V. Frost and Benjamin Vail, who
operated it several years. Mr. Frost afterwards be-
came associated with his brother Aaron, who had
been interested in the Dutchess Iron Works. The
business was afterwards conducted successively by
Dolan &Farrell, Gregory & Vandewater, Benjamin
Arnold and Aaron Frost, in 1844, Benjamin
Arnold, Benjamin Arnold & Son, and Levi M.
Arnold, who conducted it many years, till his
death, Sept. 24, 1864. In 1865, Thompson &
Carpenter (Daniel R. Thompson and Benjamin
F. Carpenter,) succeeded to the business and con-
ducted it till Jan. 1, 1869, when Carpenter sold to
James H. Dudley. Thompson & Dudley carried
it on till May, 1870, when Thompson sold to
John Howe, who died October 16, 1870. Mr.
Dudley purchased the interest of his partner, and
has since managed the business, with the excep-
tion of one year, (1873,) when it was rented to
Charles P. Angell, March i, 1874. Mr. Dudley
associated with himself as a partner Henry W.
BuUard, and the business has since been conduct-
ed under the name of Dudley & Co.

Connected with the establishment is a machine
shop, which was started some years after the
foundry. The present machine shop was built
in 1868, and the foundry soon after. The original
foundry, which stood in rear of the present one,
was destroyed by fire in January, 1878.

The estabUshment gives employment to from
twelve to eighteen persons, and uses a capital of
$30,000. The chief articles of manufacture are
cauldrons and sugar cans, though a general jobbing
busines is done.

The Sedgwick &• Stuart Manufacturing Co., was
incorporated Dec. 1880, with a capital of $20,-
000, "for the manufacture and sale of machinery
and tools of all and every kind." The incorpora-
tors and trustees were, Alonzo Sedgwick, Robert
James Stuart and Annie B. Sedgwick of Pough-



keepsie, and Wm. Stuart, of Westport, Conn. A.
Sedgwick was elected President ; R. J. Stuart,
Treasurer, and E. N. Brown, Secretary.

The company employed some thirty persons,
and do a general machine and foundry business in
addition to the manufacture of hardware.

The Albertson Edge Tool Co., which was formed
in 1867, was composed of B. Albertson, John T.
Halsted, James Wickes, James A. Seward and
Wallace Smith. Mr. Albertson had previously car-
ried on the business in a small way for a few years,
and became associated with the other members of
the company, who were capitalists, and expected to
build up an extensive business. The partnership
business, which was of four years' duration, proved
unsuccessful, and was purchased and continued
about a year by Mr. Seward, one of the partners.
In 1872, Mr. Albertson resumed his former mode
of business, first in Catharine street, and in Sep-
tember of that year in his present location on
Main street. He employs four persons on the
manufacture of coopers', ship-carpenters' and
butchers' tools. The company employed some
ten persons.

Edward Storm is engaged in the manufacture
of carriage hardware at 437, 439 and 441 Main
street, which business he established at his present
location in 1856. He employs about forty persons
and produces annually manufactured goods to the
value of about $100,000. The motive power is
furnished by a forty horse-power engine.

Barratt Bros., located on Rose St., are engaged
in the manufacture of glazed and fancy papers,
which they also import from Germany. The
business was established in the fall of 1866, in the
building now used as a hat factory on Mill St. near
its junction with Main St., and continued there for
five years, when (in 1871) the building they now
occupy was erected at a cost of $3,500. They
give employment to some twelve persons, about
one-half of whom are females. The motive power
is furnished by a fifteen horse-power engine. The
value of their manufactured goods amounts to
from $20,000 to $25,000, per annum. Their im-
porting business was commenced in 1873, and
now amounts to $20,000 per year.

Wiethan Bros., are engaged in the manufacture
of pianos, over 349 Main street. The business was
established in 1837, by the father of the present
proprietors, Louis Wiethan, a native of Germany,
who came here that year from Paris, and continued
the business till his death, which occurred Feb. 1 1,
1878, since which time it has been conducted by



394



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



his sons. The business was formerly carried on
much more extensively than at present by Mr. Wie-
than, who was located on Market street, and made
a specialty of the upright pianos, which had a wide
and favorable reputation.

E. L. Bushnell is engaged in the manufacture of
spring mattresses, springs for car seats, backs and
berths, also for carriage and church seats, and hair
pickers, for picking curled hair for furniture deal-
ers and upholsterers. The patents for the springs,
all of which are the invention of Mr. Bushnell,
were issued in 1869, and the manufacture was com-
menced that year at 390 Main street, by Mr. Bush-
nell, in company with James F. Marvin and James
A. Seward, under the name of E. L. Bushnell & Co.,
who also carried on the general upholstering busi-
ness for six-and-a-half years, till 1879, when the
firm was dissolved by mutual consent, Mr. Bush-
nell continuing the manufacture of the springs for
the trade, Mr. Marvin continuing the upholstering
business, and Mr. Seward engaging in the furni-
ture business, which he also conducts in New York.

In March, 1880, after two intermediate remov-
als, Mr. Bushnell established himself in his present
location, 383 Main street. The manufacture was
commenced with three to five hands. The number
has increased at the present to twenty-five or thirty.
The value of the manufactured product in 1880 was
$30,000 to $33,000 ; during the present year it has
been at the rate of $65,000.

There are three establishments in the city for the
manufacture of sash, doors, bhnds and moldings.
The oldest of these is that of Swart, Lumb 6" Bro.,
which is located at Nos. 17, 19, 21 and 23 North
Water street, opposite the Hudson River Railroad
depot. The business was established in Decem-
ber, 1866, by the present firm, who also make
builders' materials generally. They employ thirty-
two persons and use a capital of about $30,000.
This firm commenced the manufacture of wheel-
barrows at the same time, buying the establish-
ment of William Harloe, who had conducted it
between one and two years. June 1, 1869, they
sold that branch of their business to Thomas Mc-
Whinnie, who has since conducted it. He is located
at No. 25 North Water street, renting building and
power of Swart, Lumb & Bro. He employs some
eight persons, uses a capital of about $6,000, and
makes from 7,000 to 8,000 wheelbarrows per an-
num. The establishment of Messrs. Swart, Lumb
& Bro., was partially destroyed by fire in Septem-
ber, 1880.

The other two firms engaged in the manufacture



of sash, doors, etc., are Messrs. Brooks, McKean
&= Pierce, located at the corner of Mill and North
Clinton streets, and Wm. J. Beardsley, at Nos. 54
and 56 Main street. The former business was
established about 1870, by John R. Brooks, in a
building now occupied as a grocery by John Mc-
Cann, on Main street. In 1874, he removed to
the building now in use, which was built and pre-
viously used as a plaster-mill, by David Lent. Jan.
II, 1880, Mr. Brooks associated with himself Robert
S. McKean and Seth Pierce, and the business has
since been conducted under the above name. The
firm employ some eighteen persons, and use a capi-
tal of about $15,000. Mr. Beardsley established
his business in 1880, in which year he erected the
building in use. He employs six or eight persons,
and uses a capital of about $10,000.

The Whitney Spring Co., Limited, was incor-
porated Nov. 9, 1878, with a capital of $25,000,
for the manufacture of wagon and carriage springs
and other hardware. This company was formed
for the manufacture of the Whitney torsion side-
bar spring, invented by W. F. Whitney, who, in
company with Edward Storm, commenced their
manufacture in the spring of 1876, at the present
location, 437 Main street, power being furnished
by the same motor used by Edward Storm. Seven
persons are employed in the business, which is in-
creasing, though the sales are at present confined
to this country. About 40,000 sets of springs are
now in use, and they are being made at the rate
of about 1,700 per month.

There are four cooperage establishments in the
city, doing, in the aggregate, a business of consid-
erable magnitude, viz : Wm. Paulding's, Lown
& Sons', Wm. H. Weddle's and Otto Faust's.
Paulding's was established in 1847, by the present
proprietor, who had previously carried on the busi-
ness four years in Rhinebeck, and was associated
with Jacob T. Sleight from 1 851 to 1868, and with
James H. Buckhout from 1868 to 1878. He em-
ploys thirty-five persons and a capital of $5,000 to
$10,000, turning out about 800 barrels, half-bar-
rels and kegs per week ; all tight work, except that
m the apple season a good many apple barrels are
made, the number last season being 1,700. Lown
& Sons are established at No. 9 North Bridge
street, and are engaged in the manufacture of oak
and cedar wooden-ware, well-buckets, pails, kegs,
churns, cedar tubs, &c. The business was started
in 1857 by David Lown, who carried it on tilfhis
death, Dec. 16, 1876, since which time his sons
Clarence and Robert have conducted it. From



CITY OF POUGHKEEPSIE.



395



thirty to fifty persons are employed. The motive
power is furnished by a twenty-five horse-power
engine. Weddle's cooperage was started in 1861,
by Wm. H. Weddle and John Hill, who had car-
ried on the business in Ulster county some four or
five years. Mr. Weddle had previously been en-
gaged in the business some thirty-two years. In
March, 1881, Mr. Weddle acquired his partner's
interest. He employs some twenty-eight men here,
and seven in Highland where he also carries on
the business, using a capital of about $10,000.
Faust's cooperage was started some fifteen years
ago, by John Faust & Bros., (John, Tobias and
Otto.) Otto Faust continues the business, employ-
ing about thirty-five persons, and like the others
engaged in this business makes a full line of tight
work.

There are three soap and candle factories in the
city, though candles have not been an article of
manufacture for some years. One of these, that
of Dunwoody Bros., would seem to be the oldest
manufacturing establishment in the city, as it is
claimed to have been established in 1794, by a
German, whose name is not known. The date is
assumed, from the fact that the figures represent-
ing it were cut in the glass of one of the windows.
William Slaytor was the third proprietor, but it is
not known when he took possession. His succes-
sors were DeGroff & Cable, who carried on the
business till 1866, when they sold to the Dun-
woody Bros — Samuel, George and William — the
latter of whom withdrew from the firm, in which
there has been no other change. The front and
main part of the building is the original structure.
It is one of the oldest buildings in the city, and is
located on Main street, a little west of the central
portion. Mr. Dunwoody thinks the date 1794 has
reference to its conversion to its present use, and
is confirmed in that belief by the testimony of old
residents, who have now passed away. It was
previously used as a school-house. The Dun-
woody Bros, have built four additions at different
times and greatly enlarged the business, which now
gives employment to two additional persons, and
turns out about two hundred tons of soap per an-
num. A ten horse-power engine is used.

William Dunwoody, formerly a member of the
above firm, established his present business,the man-
ufacture of soap and candles, in the same year that
he withdrew from the firm, 1879, having erected for
that purpose the previous year the brick building he
now occupies, at No. 97 North Bridge street. The
building is twenty-two by fifty feet, three stories



high, with a boiler house in the rear, in which is a
twenty-horse-power boiler. The capacity of the
engine is twelve-horse-power. The building and
machinery cost $9,000. Mr. Dunwoody employs
five persons, all of whom are members of his
family, and makes about 18,000 pounds of soap
every three weeks. He uses a capital of about
$12,000.

William Scoffs Soap and Candle Factory,
located on Mill street, was established by David
Scott, in 1852, and operated by him till 1866,
when his son William was admitted to partner-
ship, and the business was conducted under the
name of D. Scott & Son until 1872, when William
acquired his father's interest, and has since con-
ducted the business in his own name. He em-
ploys two persons; makes 250,000 to 300,000
pounds of soap per annum ; and has an invested
capital of about $14,000.

Parker's Mills, located at the corner of Garden
and North streets, were erected in 1875, by John
G. and E. B. Parker, the present proprietors, the
former of whom was proprietor of the old City
Mills, at the junction of Washington and North
Bridge streets, which were burned in 1870. He
also gave the name to Parker's Pond, which sup-
plies the motor for these mills. The present mill,
which is constructed of stone, with brick trim-
mings, is fifty by sixty feet, with four stories and
attic, contains four run of stones, and is provided
with the most improved machinery, giving it a ca-
pacity of 125 to 150 barrels of flour in twenty-
four hours. It is a custom and flouring mill,
grinding rye and wheat flour, granulated meal,
and buckwheat flour in its season, and is in opera-
tion most of the time both night and day.

Millard d^» Guyle^s Machine Works, located at
46 Pine street, were estabUshed about 1874, by
John E. Millard and John Guylee, the present pro-
prietors, who employ four persons in the manufac-
ture of steam engines, threshing machines, mill and
other machinery, and general machine repairing.
They occupy a building erected some eight years
since by Wood & Post, for a sash and Wind fac-
tory, on the site of a building previously occupied
for a like purpose.

Six firms are engaged in the manufacture of car-
riages, employing in the aggregate some sixty per-
sons, and a capital of something like as many thou-
sand dollars. These are Striet &■• Lockwood, who
have been engaged in the business for many years,
employing some thirteen men ; Reed &f Husted,
employing fifteen men ; E. B. Delamater, some



396



HISTORY OF DUCHESS COUNTY.



ten men ; Schoonmaker &> Co., some nine men ;
Horace Sague, some six men ; and Dusenberry Of
Smith, some five men.

The Gifford Folding Chair Co. was organized
Dec. 6, 1880, for the manufacture of Giflford &
Bates' patent adjustable folding camp-chair. They
employ six persons and a capital of about $2,000.
The members of the company are Crosby &
Spaulding, furniture dealers in Poughkeepsie,
Thomas McWhinnie and Wm. H. Gifford.

.S. D, Gates, manufacturer of fine felt hats and
paper boxes of various descriptions, at 37 1 and 373
Mill street, represents a business which was estab-
lished June I, 1880, by Smith & Gates, who made
an assignment after continuing it about six months.
S. D. Gates has since continued it as agent. J. M.
Wine bought the claims, and is the present propri-
etor of the business, which usually gives employ-
ment to a hundred persons, about one-fourth of
whom are females. The motive -power is supplied
by a twenty-five horse-power engine.

The Hudson River Iron Co. was incorporated
August 7, 1872, under the law of February 17,
1848, and the acts amendatory thereof, with a cap-
ital of $400,000, for the purpose of conducting the
business of a roUing-mill and blast furnace. Ground
for the building, which is located on the Livingston
estate, on the river bank, in the south part of the
city, was broken October 31, 1872, and the build-
ing was erected during that and the following year.
The works were put in operation in 1873. Noth-
ing has been done since April, 1878.-

There are three firms in Poughkeepsie engaged
in the lumber business : W. C. Arnold & Co., at
the Upper Landing ; D. C. Foster & Sons, at the
foot of Main street, and CoUingwood, Millard &
& Co., at the Lower Landing. The latter do the
most extensive business of the three and wholesale
some to yards along the river.



CHAPTER XXXIII.
Banks of Poughkeepsie.

THE banks of Poughkeepsie were the neces-
sary outgrowth of its mercantile, commercial
and manufacturing business, to the convenient and
successful transaction of which they were indispen-
sable. Early in the century the want of bank ac-
commodations was felt in the growing village, which
was the seat of an extensive commerce, and an
effort was made to meet that want by the Manhat-



tan Company, of New York, which was chartered
April 2, 1799, for the purpose of supplying that
city "with pure and wholesome water," and granted
perpetual banking privileges. That company es-
tablished a branch bank in Poughkeepsie, (the first
institution of its kind in the village,) which was
known as the Manhattan Branch Bank. It occu-
pied the building on the corner of Market and Can-
non streets, now the residence of the widow Akin,
which was afterwards occupied by Judge Thomas
J. Oakley, and subsequently by Dr. John Barnes.
Mr. Fleueling was the first cashier of this bank, a
position which was afterwards filled by Daniel F.
Cooledge, as early as i8r4, and subsequently by
Guy Hyde, who was the first cashier of the Middle
District Bank.

The Middle District Bank was chartered March
22, 181 1, with a capital of $200,000, and at an
early period in its existence — as early as 1812 —
had an office of discount and deposit at Kingston.
It was located in the building which occupied the
site of the Taylor building, on the north side of
Main street.

Guy Hyde was the first cashier. That position
was subsequently held by Daniel F. Cooledge,
Abraham G. Storm and John W. Oakley, the latter
of whom held the office till the failure. Storm and
Oakley likewise filled the office of President. The
stock was largely held by Peter Everett, of Pough-
keepsie. Judge Verplanck, of Fishkill, father of
Gulian C. Verplanck, of New York, was also largely
interested in it. November 1 1 , 1 8 1 7 , as appears from
an advertisement in the Dutchess Observer of
that year, over the names of James Emott and
Abraham G. Storm, as a committee of the direct-
ors, 12,000 shares of the stock of the bank were
"resigned" by the holders, "in order to permit
new subscriptions," and these were reserved for "a
few weeks, for the benefit of the inhabitants of the
county," after which it was to "be offered at large."

The bank did not afford either ample or eco-
nomic accommodations to the business commu-
nity, if we may judge from the following, which
appeared in the Dutchess Observer" over the
signature of Zadock Southwick, a well-known tan-
ner of Poughkeepsie: —
" To The Farmers of Duchess County : —

It may be a source of pleasing satisfaction to
some of you to hear that the Middle District Bank
is now placed, or about to be placed on a firm
foundation, by men who have the means as well as
the disposition to be useful, as you will see by the
sequel. A farmer wanting a six hundred dollar
note discounted, at a time when it was not conven-



CITY OF POUGHKEEPSIE.



397"



Online LibraryJames H. (James Hadden) SmithHistory of Duchess county, New York : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers → online text (page 79 of 125)