James Miller Guinn.

History of the State of California and biographical record of Coast Counties, California. An historical story of the state's marvelous growth from its earliest settlement to the present time online

. (page 51 of 106)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

in apples, apricots, cherries and various small
fruits, and there is also a dairy of fifty Durham
cows. In 1889 he moved his family to Watson-
ville. where he has since made his home. His
wife, Annie, is a daughter of John Rovse, a
pioneer of Pajaro valley, and they have six chil-
dren. Edward, Jr., Ellen, Stephen, Lucille, Ray-
mond and William. Another son was lost in
infancy. The family are members of the Ro-
man Catholic Church.

Associated with William Dehart, under the
firm (itle of White ,K: Dehart, in [895 Mr. White
established a large lumber mill, but this was
soon developed into a box manufactory, his
interest in which he recently sold. In Novem-
ber of 1800 he was elected county supervisor
and at ibis writing he is also a trustee of the
Agnew insane asylum, under appointment
Governor Gage [Tie reputation which his
father established has been maintained by him-
self, and in ever) resp< t hi >ved himself
an able business man. a capable financier and a

progressh e citi



HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



ANDREW YORK.

The man best known between Paso Robles
and the coast is Andrew York, proprietor of the
Ascension winery, temptingly located on the
trail of weary travelers as they proceed across
(he mountains to the ocean. No tourist in these
parts but has heard of the unstinted hospitality
tendered the hungry and thirsty by this genial
high mountain host, and all are warm in praise
of both his commodities and resort. A Hoosier
by birth and early training, Mr. York was born
in Monroe county. Ind., March 3, 1833, his
father," Pleasant York, having settled there in
early manhood. In 1852 he removed to La
Salle county. III, and engaged in farming and
stock-raising on two hundred and forty acres of
land. Afterward he was fortunate enough to
discover coal on his possessions, and thereupon
opened up the coal mine which resulted in the
formation of the Streeter Mining Company.
1 lis death, in 1868. removed a man prominent
in the affairs of early and later Illinois, and who
at one time served as deputy sheriff of his
county. At first a Jacksonian Democrat, he
was later as stanch a Lincoln Republican. He-
married Rachel McPheatridge, a native of Ten-
nessee, and who bore him nine sons and one
daughter, all of whom attained maturity, An-
drew being the fifth. Of the sons. John Milton
was county clerk for fourteen years, and after-
ward served as county recorder.

Equipped with a common-school education,

Andrew York started across the plains March

27, 1854, and on the way helped to drive seven

hundred cattle and fifty head of mules and

horses. Thus he and his brother, E. M., worked

their w i\ over the plains, and this brother is at

hi living in Napa county, Cal., engaged in

the raising of prunes. Mr. York engaged in

gold mining in Nevada county for a couple of

and then went to St. Helena, Napa

county, where he mined and farmed for two

Later he returned east to Illinois and

ouri, and at St. Joseph, in the latter state,

bought one hundred and twenty acres of land,

from which he removed to Ottawa county, and

farmed. In the spring of [865 he again started

' luit on account of the Indian war



stopped at Nebraska City, and from there
freighted between Julcsburg and Fort Kearney
in the employ of the government. At the ex-
piration of a year he sold his freighting outfit
and went to the Cherokee Nation, and on the
present site of Baxter took up a claim for one
hundred and sixty acres of land, which he oper-
ated with modest success for a few months. In
Texas lie experimented on sixty acres of land in
Fannin county. Later Mr. York bought two
hundred acres of land in Newton county, Mo.,
and sold the same the year that he came to Cal-
ifornia in 1874. On the coast, at the mouth of
Torro creek, in San Luis Obispo county, he be-
gan a genera! farming enterprise in 1877, and in
1882 came to his present ranch of one hundred
and twelve acres, where he has since conducted
extensive wine making enterprises. Thirty
acres are under grapes, although he is obliged
to buy grapes in considerable quantities from
outside growers. In 1884 he turned out thirty
barrels, or fifteen hundred gallons; in 1885 the
output was seven thousand gallons; in 1886,
forty thousand gallons; in 1901, thirty-six thou-
sand gallons; and in 1902, forty thousand gal-
lons. On hand all the time are between twenty
and fifty thousand gallons. To local trade Mr.
York contributes about twenty thousand gallons
a year. He has greatly improved his place, has
erected the Ascension winery, and has the most
advanced ideas for conducting an enterprise of
such extensive proportions.

After coming to California Mr. York married
Louisa Long. Of the children born to Mr. and
Mrs. York. James is engaged in conducting an
apiary and farm in this comity: Thomas has a
ranch of one hundred and sixty acres: Walter is
the manager and half owner of a winery; Eliza-
beth is the wife of Al Hazard: ami Ida is now
Mrs. Nelson, of Healdsburg, Cal. The present
wife of Mr. York was formerly Mrs. Hnlda Mat-
thews, and of this union there is one son, Silas,
who is interested with his father in the winery
business, and one daughter, Mrs. Lulu Peterson.
B) her former husband, Mrs. York had two chil-
dren, Oda Priest, now Mrs. Edward Gamble, liv-
ing near Templeton : and Justus Priest, a resident
of Pleasant valle\ in Colorado. Mr. York was a
member of the state militia for several years,



HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



and has been variously interested in affairs out-
side of his winery in ibis county. He is a Dem-
ocrat in political preference, but has never been
among those seeking- political honors.



B. IVERSON.



The possibilities of Salinas have called forth
the most creditable ambitions of a few men
who were destined to make their way in the
commercial world, and whose strength of char-
acter and conservative judgment have served
as the fundamental growth of the common-
wealth. This has been emphatically true of
J. B. Iverson, whose well directed energies have
not only placed him among the men of wealth
of the town, but have invested him with an en-
viable reputation for business sagacity and in-
tegrity, tested during- the passing of many years.

A native son of Denmark, Mr. Iverson was
born at Apenrade, October 3, 1835. a son of
Jesse and Hannah (Rump) Iverson, natives of
the same Danish province. The father, who
was a blacksmith during his active life, eventu-
ally came to America and Salinas, where he
died October 15, 1890, the death of his wife
having occurred July 13, 1881. J. B. Iverson
received the common-school education accorded
the youth of his neighborhood, and at twenty-
two years of age he enlisted for military service
in the Danish army, serving for sixteen months.
From boyhood days he had familiarized himself
with the blacksmith's trade, which he subse-
quently followed in his native land. When
twenty-eight years of age he immigrated to
America and came to San Francisco, and for
the following five years worked for Henry
Smith, twelve miles from Oakland. He then
removed to Watsonville, where he was employed
for three months, reaching Salinas City in 1868.
At the time Salinas was a mere apology of a
town and contained but few inhabitants, its
special need being the infusion of such enter-
prise as was embodied in the future calculations
of Mr. Iverson. In partnership with his
brother, E. P. Iverson, he started an agricul-
tural implement manufacturing shop, located
where Sanborn & Ford now carry on their
hardware business. As the town increased they



branched out and did a large business, and
turned out heavy team and farm wagons, fam-
ily buggies, sulkies, plows, harrows, and any
number of labor saving devices. In time they
became the largest manufacturers of their kind
in Monterey county, and their present business
is conducted on Gabilan street, to which they
removed in 1873.

The Water & Light Company, of which Mr.
Iverson is president, was started by James Ho-
gen and Joseph Enright, and after a fitful career
Mr. Iverson and Air. Yanderhurst took hold
of it, and made it what it is today. For several
years Mr. Iverson has been president of the
company; nor does this represent the extent
of his responsibility, for he is vice-president of
the Monterey County Bank, of which he
was one of the organizers, and is also vari-
ously interested in financial enterprises in the
town and county. He is the possessor of two
ranches in Monterey county, both of which are
well stocked with horses and cattle. In fraternal
circles Mr. Iverson is chiefly known as a promi-
nent Odd Fellow, which organization he joined
in 1869. He is a member of the Encampment
and Canton, and has been treasurer for the
former since 1879. It was mainly through his
efforts that the Odd Fellows" hall was erected
in Salinas, and he has been president of the Hall
Association ever since it was started. He is one
of the most substantial of the pioneers who have
encompassed the upbuilding of this town and
county, and richly deserves the success which
has come his way, and the good will of his
associates.



E. P. IVERSON.

Among the pioneers whose association with
California began at a period antedating the
'70s, mention belongs to E. P. Iverson. He
merits recognition among the pioneers of Sa-
linas, for he came to this then hamlet in 1868.
He was then a young man. Inning Keen born in
1844, and possessed the energy and cheerful op-
timism of youth. With these qualities, but with-
out means or influential friends, he wa
In fight the battle of life with a sure hop( of
victory. In 1867 he came to California, and.
after spending some months in Alameda



HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



county, began to clerk for his brother, J. B.,

in Salinas. Ten years later the two formed a
partnership and in mi that day to this the firm
of [verson Brothers has been one of the most
influential and progressive in the city of Salinas.
They manufacture heavy team and farm wagons,
family carriages, buggies, sulkies, plows, har-
rows, etc., and conduct the largest business in
their line in Monterey county. Both brothers
have wielded great influence in local affairs.
J. B. has been a director of the Monterey
County Agricultural Association and president
of the Salinas Gas, Electric Light and Water
Company; while E. P. has officiated as a mem-
ber of the city council and school trustee. In
politics both are believers in Democratic princi-
ples, and fraternally they belong to the Inde-
pendent Order of Odd Fellows.

The marriage of E. P. Iverson and Karen
Lund, a native of Denmark, was solemnized in
Salinas in 1871. They are the parents of five
children: Jesse B., at home; Martin, who is
employed in Soledad; John F., who is now in
San Francisco; Cora L., wife of C. Thorup, of
Salinas, and Effie C.



Mcdowell reid venable.

The genealogy of the Venable family is traced
back to a very early period in the settlement
of Virginia. Its members were prominent even
among the unusually brilliant coterie of states-
men whose names give luster to the annals of
1 In ( lid Dominion in the colonial period. Sev-
eral successive generations resided at the home-
stead, which for miles around was known as
State llill and which was maintained with elc-
■ m. , until the T vastating days of the Civil war
wroughl ruin throughoul all that region. Judge
Venable's great-grandfather, who was a member
of the burgess, had two sons, one of whom.
Richard X., became a prominent lawyer, while
the other, Abraham, served as United States
senator from \ irginia. Richard, son of Richard
X„ became a planter in Virginia, and married
Magdaline McCampbell, by whom he had live
children. She was horn in Lexington, Rock-
bridge county. Va., and was of Scotch Irish
parentage.



The fourth among the five children compris-
ing the family, McDowell Reid Venable, was
born in Charlotte county. Va., in 1836. Pri-
marily educated in common schools, he later
had the advantage of attendance at Hampden
Sidney College in Prince Edward county and
also took lectures in law at the University of
Virginia. Reared under southern influences,
he gave his sympathies unreservedly to the Con-
federacy and at the opening of the Civil war
enlisted in the Richmond Howitzers in the
Army of Northern Virginia, under Gen. Robert
E. Lee. June 10, 1861, he participated in the
battle of Bethel. Among the later engagements
in which he bore a part were those around
Richmond, at Mechanicsville, Gaines Mills, Mal-
vern Hill. Cedar Mountain, the second battle
of .Manassas, at Antietam (where he was
wounded and reported among the dead), South
Mountain, Harper's Ferry and Fredericksburg.
After the battle of Antietam he was promoted
to be second lieutenant, and later became first
lieutenant of the Engineers' Corps, in which
capacity he was stationed at Shreveport,
La., during the closing period of the war.
Under Gen. Kirby Smith he also saw- active
service through Arkansas and Texas. When
the war closed he was acting as captain of the
Engineers' Corps, in charge of pontoon bridges.

For about a year after the war he remained
in Texas, and then returned to his Virginia
home, resuming the pursuits of civic life. For
two years he engaged in the practice of law. but
his health had been seriously undermined by
the hardships of army service and a change of
climate was deemed necessary. For this reason
he came to California in 1868. After one year
in San Jose he came to San Luis Obispo, where
he has since been a participant in public af-
fairs and a promoter of local industries. From
1872 until 1880 he held office as county judge,
filling the position with a fidelity ami tact that
commanded universal respect. In 1K72 he was
chosen a delegate to the national Democratic
convention at Baltimore, Md., which nominated
Horace Greeley for president. A further honor
was tendered him when, in 1886, he was chosen
to represent this district in the state legislature.
His interest in educational matters led him to



HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



333



accept the office of school trustee and for many
years he served as president of the board. The
office of president of the San Luis Obispo
Board of Trade was also long held by him.

On the organization of the Commercial Bank
of San Luis Obispo, in 1888, Judge Venable be-
came one of the original stockholders and direc-
tors, and was chosen to occupy the responsible
position of president, Mr. Brunner of San Fran-
cisco being made vice-president. Since then
he has remained at the head of the institution.
The bank has a paid-up capital of $200,000 and
is recognized as one of the strongest financial
concerns in Central California. The reputation
it has gained for strength is due in large meas-
ure to the conservative spirit shown by the
president, his care in making investments, and
his integrity of character, which has never been
questioned. Indeed, the qualities he possesses
seem to be those best adapted for the banking
business, and "the right man for the right place"
may be said of him in his capacity of president.

Though far removed from the scenes of his
youth, Judge Venable has never forgotten the
associates of boyhood, and especially has he
borne in mind those who shared with him the
hardships and perils of forced marches and fierce
struggles with the enemy. It is an unusual oc-
currence that of his friends (about thirty in
number) who fought in the Confederate army,
almost every one came to California and more
than twenty gained for themselves prominence
and success as attorneys or jurists. In 1872
Judge Venable married Miss Alice Watkins,
daughter of G. M. Watkins, of Montgomery
county, Md. They are the parents of five
daughters, namely: Catherine Ralston, Alice
McDonald, Edna Louise, Magdaline and Reida
McDonald.



WILLIAM WAHRLICH.

The city of Salinas is the abode of a large
number of men who were thrown upon their
own resources at an early age and whose nat-
ural abilities were strengthened by contact with
the world, thus gaining for them the esteem
of associates and financial success. Included in
this list is Mr. Wahrlich, president of the Wahr-



Iich-Cornett Company, which has its principal
headquarters in Salinas, but also operates a
branch house in Soledad. The firm have their
Salinas store in the McDougall building on
Main street, and thus enjoy the advantages of a
central location, in the best part of the city.
Employment is furnished In about fifteen per-
sons, whose courtes) to customers, combined
with the genial characters and well known up-
rightness of the heads of the firm, have given
the store popularity throughout this vicinity.
A large stock is carried that embraces all the
features of a modern department store, and the
proprietors, buying in large quantities, are able
to sell at particularly reasonable prices, yet en-
joy a fair profit as compensation for their own
efforts.

The founder of this large business was born
in Schleswig, Germany, in 1855, and received
an excellent education in German schools. On
the evening of the day that he was twenty years
old he arrived in Salinas, and here he has since
made his home. At once he secured employ-
ment with the Vanderhurst-Sanborn Company,
syith whom he remained for five years as clerk,
meantime acquiring a thorough knowledge of the
mercantile business in all of its details. Fortified
by this knowledge, but with very limited means
at his command, in 18S0 he established a small
grocery business. His experience and general
business talent enabled him to conduct the en-
terprise successfully from the first, and the store
received a constantly increasing patronage.
Later Mr. Cornett was admitted to partnership
and in 1895 the firm was incorporated under its
present title, with Mr. Wahrlich as president
and J. Andresen secretary. Among the direc-
tors of the company is J. P.. Iverson, one of the
most influential business men of Salinas.

In 1S80 Mr. Wahrlich married Miss Christine
Krough, a native of Denmark, and of their
union was born one son, Carl, who is now living
in San Francisco. A man who gives his atten-
tion so closely to business interests as does Mr.
Wahrlich could scarcely he expected to par-
ticipate in public affair.'-, and it is not surprising
that he take- no pari in politics However, he
keeps well posted concerning national qui
and advocates the pi : by the Dem-



33-1



IIIST< )RICAL AND UK (GRAPHICAL KLC< >Kl>.



ocratic party. If he has had no time for pol-
itics, still less has he had leisure to participate
in fraternal society matters, and is not associ-
ated with any of these various organizations.
losely than do most, he has confined his
attention to the building up of his business, and
the result fully justifies the time and thought
lie has given to the attainment of success.



LUCIAN SANBORN.

Few name- are more inseparably associated
with the history of Monterey and Santa Cruz
counties than that of Lucian Sanborn, who as
merchant, bank director and general promoter
of important enterprises proved the value of his
citizenship and the integrity of his character.
Perhaps in Salinas he was best known as a mem-
ber of the firm of Vanderhurst, Sanborn & Co.,
Incorporated, which has conducted a large and
successful business for the past thirty-five or
more years; however, this enterprise did not
represent the limit of his activities, for he was
also a member of the Ford-Sanborn Company,
which established branch stores in different
parts of the state and built up a reputation sec-
ond to no firm in its part of California.

In his native town of Merchantsport, Me.,
Lucian Sanborn received such advantages as
the common schools afforded; these being but
limited, the broad knowledge that he acquired
was the result of self-culture in later years rather
than any special advantages that fell to his lot
in youth. During the excitement caused by the
discovery of sold in California, in 1849, he was
among the argonauts who sought fortune on the
Pacific coast, but, failing to meet with the
hoped-for success in the mines, he went to Wat-
sonville, and soon afterward started in business
with Dr. Ford, forming the firm of Ford &
Sanborn, general merchants. The subsequent
of his life were marked by great activity
ami uniform success. Although lie started out
with 11.. means, his resolute will and iron deter
mination broughl him prosperitj at an earlier
in it comes to mOSl self-made men. With
a keen intuition, rare foresight and sound judg
liH'iit, lie was fitted t<i conduct mercantile pur-
suits with skill and efficiency, and every firm



with which he was identified owed much to his
sagai ity and energy. He became a heavy stock-
holder in the Monterey County Bank and served
as -in- of its directors, besides which he had
stock in other banks. Until his death, which
occurred in 1899 at seventy-six years of age,
lie led an active business life, giving his entire
attention to the management of his commercial
interests, and finding all the recreation he de-
sired in the companionship of his wife (formerly
Caroline Scott) and son and daughter.

The only son of Lucian Sanborn is L. W.
Sanborn, secretary of the Ford-Sanborn Com-
pany, and a young man of marked executive
ability. Born and educated in San Francisco,
after he had completed school he was connected
with some of the largest firms in his native city,
and t litis acquired a broad and deep commercial
education and experience which has proved of
the greatest value to him since. He moved
to this city in 1889 and has since made his home
here. Politically he advocates Republican prin-
ciples, but politics appeals less to him than busi-
ness, and his time, thought and attention are
concentrated upon the varied business interests
which he has inherited and acquired.



WILLIAM SHIPSEY.

In addition to having held the office of mayor
of San Luis Obispo from 1898 to 1902, Mr.
Shipsey is regarded as one of the best author-
ities on law in the county. He was born in
Ireland, and was reared and educated for the
greater part in and near the city of Cork. His
earliest aspirations were turned toward
telegraphy as a means of support, and to this
i nd lie perfected himself in this occupation
while still in his native land. When eighteen
years of age, in [869, he came to the United
States and settled in Monterey county, and aft-
erward completed his education in St. Mary's
College. San Francisco, graduating in 187^ with
the degree of 1'.. S. lie thereafter turned his at-
tention to the mercantile business in Monterey,
but nol finding this congenial he decided to
read law. and entered the office of Judge Greg-
ory in Salinas. I luring his residence in Salinas,
where lie remained until 1876. lie served as dep-




S. W. FOR KM AN



HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



337



uty clerk of Monterey county, and after re-
luming- to San Luis Obispo, he again entered
the office of Judge Gregory, and was admitted
to the bar of California in 1877.

In 1878 Mr. Shipsey located in Salinas and
formed a partnership with Judge Gregory, an
association amicably and satisfactorily contin-
ued until his removal to San Francisco in 1882.
While in the latter city he was for a time part-
ner of Judge William J. Graves and was associa-
ated with D. M. Delmas. In 1884 he located in
San Luis Obispo, which has since been his home.
In 1890 Mr.Shipsey married Annie Barrie and of
this union there are five children, viz: Edward,
William, Jr., Margaret, Kathline and Helen.
Mr. Shipsey has one brother, Edward, who is
a physician in Ireland, another brother who is
a merchant in the old country, and a brother,
Thomas Jacob, also a physician, who died after
immigrating to the United States. Mr. Shipsey
owes his position as head of municipal affairs
in San Luis Obispo to his acknowledged ex-
ecutive and general ability. His administration
has given satisfaction to the constituents who
placed him in office, and his tactful handling of
important public responsibilities and complica-
tions has won him the appreciation and ap-
proval of the best element of the opposite party.



SOLOMON W. FOREMAN.

For many years before his death Mr. Fore-
man owned and occupied a large ranch near
the city of San Luis Obispo, in Los Osos
valley. He was born near New Phila-
delphia, Ohio, in 1823, and was a son of Jacob
ami .Mary Foreman, natives of Pennsylvania,
of German descent, and early settlers of Ohio.
For years they made their home at New Phila-