eBooksRead.com books search new books
James Miller Guinn.

History of the state of California and biographical record of the San Joaquin Valley, California. An historical story of the state's marvelous growth from its earliest settlement to the present time online

. (page 218 of 262)
Online LibraryJames Miller GuinnHistory of the state of California and biographical record of the San Joaquin Valley, California. An historical story of the state's marvelous growth from its earliest settlement to the present time → online text (page 218 of 262)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook
T. was the fourth in order of birth.



George T. Long received his education in the
common schools of Iowa, after which he followed
farming until 1885, wdien he came to California.
He first located at Selma, Fresno county, where
he engaged in house painting for a time, and
was then employed in a shingle mill in the
mountains. He rented a place near Fowler in
1889, consisting of forty acres, later purchasing
the same, and in 1902 he sold out. In that year
he bought his present property, consisting of
eighty acres, twenty acres being devoted to vine-
yard, thirteen acres to orchard and forty acres
in alfalfa. He built a handsome residence in
1904, presided over by his wife, formerly Joanna
Chalmers, of Warren county, 111., whom he mar-
ried in Washington county, Iowa. They are the
parents of the following children : Charles,
Harry, George, Jr., Arthur, Cloice and Roscoe,
all at home. Mr. Long is a member of the
United Presbyterian Church of Fowler, and po-
litically casts his ballot with the Republican
party. He has done considerable speculating out-
side of his regular work and has met with suc-
cess.



CHARLES J. LINDGREN. Few general
contractors in the state are better or more widely
known than Mr. Lindgren. For years he has
carried on an extensive business in Fresno and
adjoining counties and recently he enlarged his
field of operations and is now contracting in San
Francisco, Oakland, Bakersfield, Modesto, Fres-
no, Merced and other places. Mr. Lindgren in-
herits his ability as a builder from his father,
who was for years engaged in that line of busi-
ness in Sweden, but the position he has attained
in California is the result of his own efforts.
When he came here he was unknown and without
money, but by industry and perseverance he has
struggled forward until to-day he is considered
one of the most prominent contractors in the
state. During this time he has erected practically
the entire business section of Bakersfield and
Kern City, thus doing a great deal to make these
cities modern and attractive to the prospective
business man.

A native of Sweden, Mr. Lindgren was born
in that country on August 5, 1859. His father,
J. F. Lindgren, was also a native of the same
country and for years engaged in building, de-
voting his energies to the erection of stone and
granite buildings. He was very successful and
owned valuable granite quarries near the city of
Nordkoping. During the winter of 1901-2 he
visited in California, spending most of the time
with his son, and on his return to his home he
was taken ill and lived but two months'after his
arrival. His wife bore the maiden name of
Johanna M. Johnson and by her marriage she



1432



HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



became the mother of ten children, four boys and
six girls. Of these three boys and five girls
reached maturity and all are now living in the
United States with the exception of two daugh-
ters, who remain in the old country.

Charles J. Lindgren was reared in the place
of his birth and obtained a fair education in the
public schools, but at an early age he started
out to make his own way in the world, securing
employment on a farm, but soon after he went
to work under his father, learning the trade of
a granite cutter. Finally he formed a partner-
ship with his father, which continued for about
one year, when he sold and came to America.
Locating in Chicago, he there worked at any
occupation he could secure for two years. Sub-
sequently he learned the trade of a bricklayer
and for three and one-half years he filled the
position of a foreman in that city. In January.
1888, he came to Los Angeles, where he soon
after engaged in the general contracting and
building business. From that city he removed to
Bakersfield, where as before stated, he has
erected practically the entire business section of
the city. While there he also assisted in the or-
ganization of the Bakersfield Sandstone Brick
Co., of which he is now the vice-president. Cin-
der his direction a fine plant was constructed
and the business gradually increased until to-
day it is the most extensive brick manufacturing
concern in the county. From the start Mr. Lind-
gren has made a success of his various ventures,
and since 1900 has been contracting in all sec-
tions of the state, building some of the most im-
portant structures in the various cities. He is
also interested in other ventures, including the
Lindgren-Hicks Company of San Francisco ; the
Golden Gate Sandstone Brick Companv and the
Holland Sandstone Brick Company, located at
Antioch.

In 1903 Mr. Lindgren came to Fresno, where
he has erected for himself one of the best resi-
dences in the city. Here he and his wife, who
bore the maiden name of Christina Bergquist, are
living surrounded bv all the comforts and many
of the luxuries of life. Their marriage has re-
sulted in the birth of three children, namely :
Gertrude A., Edna M., and Charles J., Jr. Mrs.
Lindgren is a native of Sweden and a daughter
of John Bergquist, who was a contractor and
builder in that country. He was also an archi-
tect of ability and later was the superintendent
of a large estate at Mariane Lund. Smoland.
Eleven years ago he came to this country and is
now living retired in the city of Chicago. His
wife was a Miss Stole, a native of Sweden. Her
father. John Stole, was an officer in the Swedish
army all his life, serving in the Hussar Regi-
ment. He died at the ripe old age of ninety-nine
years.



In politics Mr. Lindgren is a Republican, but
while he has been too busy looking after his ex-
tensive interests to take an active part in public
matters, he is at all times ready to support any
measures calculated to be of material benefit to
the state or county. The success that he has at-
tained shows what one can accomplish in this
country if he but possess grit, intelligence and
industry.



HENRY KRUSE. A resident of California
since 1887, Henry Kruse is classed among the
upbuilders of Fresno county. He was born in
Westphalia, Germany, July 27, 1859, and is a
son of Henry and Fredricka Louisa (Bunkman)
Kruse. The former died at his home in West-
phalia, where his widow still makes her home.

The third child in a family of four sons and
two daughters, Henry Kruse received his educa-
tion in the public schools and in an Agricultural
College. At the early age of fourteen he was
apprenticed to a superintendent of a large farm,
and later he himself became superintendent of a
large place in Westphalia, where he remained un-
til 1886, when he came to America and at once
went to Fremont, Neb. In 1887 he came to
California, where he secured work for two years
with Mr. Eggers as second foreman. He then
became superintendent of Los Palmas ranch, a
position he held four years. In 1889 he pur-
chased twenty-six acres, which he improved and
set out to grapes, later adding twenty-six and
one-half acres, also in grapes, all located in the
Eggers Colony. He has also set out vineyards
for ethers. Upon his home place he has erected
a modern residence and otherwise improved his
surroundings.

August 21, 1892, in Westphalia, Mr. Kruse
was united in marriage with Anna Hilka, who
was born there. They have four children, Freda,
Greta, Clara and Ellen.

In politics a Democrat, Mr. Kruse is active
in the counsels of the party. A friend of edu-
cation, he has always favored good schools. He
was one of the founders of the German Luth-
eran Church in Fresno and has been a member
of the church board since then. In every sense
of the word he is a self-made man and has al-
ways given of his time and means to promote
the welfare of the county of his adoption, in
which he has a host of friends.



ERICK GUSTAV ROSENDAHL For many
years E. G. Rosendahl was an active member of
the ministry, but a few years ago, on account of
failing health, he was compelled to relinquish his
work and take up a rural life. During the time
he was a minister he filled pulpits in many of




(^>ruA-)yli(cu U $CLCM*-



idsV' 1 -



HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



1435



the leading Swedish churches in this country
and was considered one of the brightest and
most successful men in the Conference. By his
retirement the church lost a man who had done
much to place the Swedish Church on its pres-
ent firm basis, but although he is now practi-
cally retired from the church, he is still very
active in promoting the general welfare of his
people.

A native of Sweden, Erick Gustav Rosendahl
was born February 22, 1849. He was the young-
est in a large family and was able to obtain only
a limited common school education. In 1869
he bade good-by to home and friends and sailed
for New York, where after landing he con-
tinued to reside for five years. At the expiration
of that time he returned to his native coun-
try and remained there for four years. It was in
1879 that he again took up his residence in the
United States, this time locating in Dover, N. J.,
where he secured a position in the railway shops.
Three years later, with the money he had saved,
he went to Evanston, 111., and entered the Swed-
ish seminary at that place, taking up his long-
cherished study of theology. The following three
years were devoted to the study of this branch
of education and that year in the Conference
at Dayton, Iowa, he was ordained a minister
of the Swedish Church. The same year he was
given a charge at a place called New Sweden, in
Iowa, one of the oldest Swedish churches in that
state, where he remained for one year, when the
Conference assigned him to another old and large
congregation at Stratford, the same state. Sub-
sequently he was transferred to the California
Conference, coming to this state in 1888. The
first year was spent in Kingsburg and at the ex-
piration of that period he was compelled to re-
sign, his health having failed and it being
necessary for him to take up a different occupa-
tion. Purchasing his present place of twenty
acres, three miles northeast of Kingsburg, he was
one of the very first to locate in this colony.
His land is devo'ted to peaches, grapes and al-
falfa.

Since taking up agricultural pursuits. Mr.
Rosendahl has been very active in promoting va-
rious business ventures. He was one of the
organizers of the Scandinavian Mutual Protective
Fire Insurance Company, of which he is vice-
president, director and appraiser. He is also sec-
retary of the Swedish Methodist Church of the
United States, and is interested in the Co-opera-
tive Packing Company at Kingsburg, being a
director of the same. This section of the coun-
ty has developed very rapidly, and Mr. Rosendahl
was the instigator of the present rural delivery
service. He has also been very prominent in
school and religious work, at all times doing
his part to promote the welfare and growth of



the same. He was the first director of Harrison
school district and it is said that the people of
this section look upon him as the leader of every
movement that tends to improve existing condi-
tions. The old saying that "there is no great
loss without some gain" is very true in this
instance, for while the church lost a very use-
ful leader in the resignation of Mr. Rosendahl
this county gained a splendid citizen.

In New York city occurred the marriage of
Mr. Rosendahl and Miss Annie Elizabeth Dam-
strom, who is also a native of Sweden. To
them have been born two children : Albert Hen-
ry and Hannah Eugene, both of whom are liv-
ing at home. The entire family is most highly
respected in this section of the county where
they have a large circle of warm and personal
friends.



HERMAN S. BACHMAN. In every local-
ity there is always some man to take the lead
and develop some special line of business and
to this man the whole country is under lasting
obligation. To Mr. Bachman credit must be
given for the great work he has done along dairy-
ing lines. He was the man to see the possi-
bilities of this business and was the first to en-
gage in dairying from a commercial standpoint.
As a result of his judgment the section of the
county about Portersville has become enriched
to the amount of many hundreds of thousands
of dollars.

A native of Maine, Mr. Bachman was born in
Cumberland county, near the town of Harrison,
November 27, 1854. His father, Sigmund Bach-
man, was born in Reckendorf, Bavaria, Germany.
On immigrating to the United States he set-
tled in Maine, where he engaged in business as
a merchant. In 1855 he migrated to Wiscon-
sin, locating in Milwaukee, where he became a
prominent wholesale dealer in dry goods. Two
years later, however, he removed to the town
of Monroe, where he remained until 1861. when
he located in Chicago as a dealer in merchan-
dise. There he conducted a very successful
business until 1879, when he went to Denver,
Colo., where he engaged in business until 1881.
the year of his death. His wife bore the maid-
en name of Susan A. Woodsum. and was born
in Harrison, Me. She is still living and makes
her home in North Bridgton, Me. By her mar-
riage with Mr. Bachman she became the mother
of four children, three of whom are living.

The second in this family was Herman S.
Bachman. He accompanied his parents on their
removal west and his early life was spent in the
various towns in which his father was engaged
in business. On the removal of the family to
Chicago he was but a boy and there he received



1-130



HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



his education, but his schooling was limited, for
at the age of eleven years he entered the employ
of a wholesale men's furnishing and notion store,
which was located on Lake street. Beginning at
the very bottom as an errand boy he worked his
way up, until at the expiration of three years he
was promoted to the position of stock keeper.
He then was employed in his father's store as a
salesman and until 1869, when his father re-
moved to Crown Point, Ind., where he remained
for one year. Tiring of a mercantile life he
then began farming near Crown Point, continu-
ing for two years or until 1872. That year wit-
nessed his arrival in California. The first win-
ter was spent in Lake county and the following
spring he went to San Diego, where he remained
for a short time. Going to Holcomb valley. San
Bernardino county, he followed mining there, in
Kern county and in Arizona, until 1874. From
1874 to 1876 he was with the Southern Pacific
Railroad Company as foreman of a gang of men
engaged in tunnel work. He had charge of the
head of the tunnel and during the time he was
with the company he had no accidents, neither
was a man in his gang injured. After eighteen
months he resigned his position and returned to
Riverside, where he purchased fifty acres of land
and engaged in horticultural pursuits and farm-
ing, growing oranges and alfalfa. This venture
proved a success and there he remained until
1885, when he sold out and located in Tulare
county. For two years after his arrival in the
county he was engaged in general farming. In
1887 Mr. Bachman purchased a livery stable in
Tulare which he conducted successfully until
1896. In 1892 he had purchased his present farm
ten miles southwest of Portersville and on dis-
posing of his livery stable he took up his resi-
dence on this farm, which consists of four hun 7
dred and eighty acres, two hundred and forty
acres of which are devoted to the growing of
alfalfa, while the balance is used for grain pur-
poses.

Since taking up his residence on this farm Mr.
Bachman has become one of the leading dairy-
men of the state. He now has sixty head of
cattle, Short-horns and Holsteins, and although
he was the first to engage in the butter business
from a commercial standpoint, that venture has
proved a wonderful success. Mr. Bachman is a
firm believer in everything modern and his farm
is one of the best equipped in California. In
September. 1903, Mr. Bachman rented his farm
and now lives in Portersville, but while not di-
rectly interested, be still manages the farm. He
is the largest stockholder and is president of
the Poplar Irrigation Ditch Company, and has
been prominently identified with water affairs
since living on his ranch.

In maidenhood Mrs. Bachman was Miss Cyn-



thia P. Smith, a native of Wisconsin and a
daughter of Henry M. Smith, who was born in
New York state and became an early settler of
Wisconsin, where he followed farming. During
the Civil war he served in a Wisconsin regi-
ment. In 1886 he came to California and located
at Riverside, but two years later he removed to
Tulare county, where he lived until his death in
1904, at the age of seventy-two years. Mr.
Smith married Palmyra Frost, who was born in
Ohio, a daughter of Alva Frost, also a native of
Ohio. He removed to Wisconsin, where he was
engaged in farming at the outbreak of the Civil
war. Enlisting in a Wisconsin regiment he
served until the close of that memorable contest.
Flis wife is still living and makes her home at
Rialto. She has six children living, Mrs. Bach-
man being the oldest. Mrs. Bachman married for
her first husband, Ervin Cornell, who died in Ne-
braska, leaving one child, Minnie, the wife of
Isaac Bunton, of Poplar. By her marriage with
Mr. Bachman, which occurred February 16.
1885, she has five children: Ervin Herman;
Susan Adah, Chloie Annis. Leah Gretchen and
Hazel Olive. By a former marriage Mr. Bach-
man had two children: Howard E., at Tehama,
Cal., and Frankie, the wife of James Crose, of
Poplar.

Mr. Bachman has always taken an active inter-
est in the welfare of his county and has been
especially interested in local affairs. He was
one of the reorganizers of the Poplar Co-Opera-
tive Association, of which he is now vice-presi-
dent and director. In politics he is a Demo-
crat and a warm supporter of William Jennings
Brvan. He formerly held membership in the
Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. That
success has attended the efforts of Mr. Bachman
is the result of his own business ability and per-
severance. He has had many obstacles to over-
come, but with a determination to succeed he
has gone steadily forward, until today he is con-
sidered one of the most substantial men in Tu-
lare county. Both he and his estimable wife have
a warm place in the hearts of the residents of
Portersville, all of whom rejoice in the fact that
they are able to enjoy their latter years amid
peace and good will.



WILLIAM SHIELDS. Born in the north of
Ireland. October 31, 1834, the late William
Shields accompanied his parents to America
when seven years of age and with them settled
in Malone, New York, where he was reared, edu-
cated and where he remained until 1855, when he
started for the middle west. Settling in Illinois,
he improved a farm from the prairie, five miles
from Gibson City, Ford county, and engaged in
general farming and the stock business. In 1873



HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



1437



he disposed of his interests and came to Cali-
fornia, arriving' May 10 of that year and locating
in Marin count)-. For two years he farmed six
miles south of Petaluma, then purchased three
hundred and twenty acres in San Benito county,
where he remained until the fall of 1876. Re-
moving then to San Mateo county, he settled near
Half Moon Bay, where he remained until lo-
cating in Fresno county in 1884. He here pur-
chased eighty acres of stubble land one and one-
half miles north of Fresno, on Blackstone avenue,
which he set out in a vineyard of fifty-five acres
and the balance in orchard, also erecting a com-
fortable residence. In addition to his other in-
terests he engaged in buying, selling and im-
proving land. He was a Republican and a Ma-
son. Always in favor of education, he took a
keen interest in maintaining good schools. He
became prominent as a citizen of Fresno county
and followed a successful career until his death,
March 7, 1902.

Mr. Shields was married in Genoa, 111., Jan-
uary 1, 1858, to Elizabeth M. Marsh, who was
born September 11, 1838, in Chautauqua county,
N. Y., a daughter of Alva Marsh, who was born
in West Brattleboro, Vt. Her grandfather, Will-
iam Marsh, was also a native of the same place
and served as captain of a company during the
war of 1812. His father, also named William,
was in the Revolutionary war.

In tracing her ancestry Mrs. Shields dates back
to the landing of the Pilgrims. Her father re-
moved to Chautauqua county, N. Y., thence in
1842 to Illinois, by way of Chicago, which was
then only a small town, and settled in DeKalb
county, where he engaged in farming. He
eventually came to California, where he spent his
remaining years. His wife, Hannah House, was
born in the Mohawk valley, N. Y., of German an-
cestry, a daughter of Adolphus and granddaugh-
ter of another Adolphus House. The latter came
from Germany prior to the war of the Revolu-
tion, and served as a captain during that strug-
gle for independence. He gave his orders in
German, being unable to speak English. He set-
tled in the Mohawk valley and there died. Mrs.
Marsh died in California. Two of her sons,
Alva and Adolphus Marsh (the latter being
raised to a lieutenant), were soldiers during the
Civil war. Mrs. Shields is the sixth in order
of birth of ten children, six of whom are liv-
ing. She was reared and educated in Illinois.
Since the death of her husband she erected a
residence at No. 385 San Pablo avenue, Fresno,
where she now resides, having rented her ranch
and vineyard.

Mr. and Mrs. Shields became the parents of
eight children : Alice A 7 ., deceased, married
Thomas Newell, of Selma ; Adolphus, a farmer on
Whites Bridge road, is a Knight Templar Ma-



son; Charles E. died in infancy; Ella M. became
the wife of Leon Bean, of Palo Alto; Lillian E.
married George Taylor, of Ft. Bragg, Cal. ; Jo-
sephine P. became the wife of Wright Spencer,
of Fresno; Flora D. is Mrs. Frank Montague,
also of Fresno ; William Alexander died in in-
fancy. Mrs. Shields is a member of the Meth-
odist Church, to which Mr. Shields gave liberally.
In all the years of their residence in California
Mr. and Mrs. Shields endeared themselves to
a wide circle of friends, especially in Fresno
countv. Since the death of Mr. Shields his wid-
ow has ably managed the estate and is living
in the enjoyment of a competency which she and
her husband earned. In all charitable enterprises
Mrs. Shields takes an active part.



HERMAN GRANZ. A resident of California
since the spring of 1869, Herman Granz has
been actively engaged in building up the com-
mercial circles of the state. A native of Saxony,
Germany, he was born near Chemnitz, August
1, 1841, a son of Samuel Granz, who was de-
scended from an old family. A brother, Louis
Granz, died in San Francisco in 1904.

Herman Granz was reared on his father's farm
and educated in the schools of Germany. At
the age of sixteen years he was apprenticed to
learn the cabinet-maker's trade, which he fol-
lowed in Austria, Switzerland and France for
a time. Hearing and reading a great deal of
the splendid opportunities offered young men in
the United States, he decided to emigrate, and
in 1868 he was able to carry out his cherished
plans. Arriving in New York city, he worked
at his trade one year, during which time he heard
of the better opportunities for advancement in
the newer state of California and with the money
he had saved made the trip to San Francisco bv
way of the Isthmus of Panama. He followed
his trade in that city for a time, then started a
furniture factory on a small scale in Hayes val-
ley. Later, as his business increased, he estab-
lished a factory on Barry street, and four years
later built on Brannan street, the plant being
operated by steam power. Here he manufac-
tured furniture of all kinds and employed sev-
enty-five hands. This enterprise was conducted
successfully until 1887, when, on account of ill
health, he wished to leave the city.

Upon purchasing his present property in 1881
Mr. Granz began the work of improvement by
setting it out to vines, and at the time the
railroad was built into Clovis, Fresno county, he
had his eighty acres in vineyard. He erected
a winery in 1884 and began the manufacture of
a high grade of wines and in the passing of the
years he has built up a lucrative business. His
winery has a large capacity and on his home



1LJ8



HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



place, to which he brought his family in 1887,
he has erected a fine house and laid out beauti-
ful grounds. It is located four miles east of
Fresno, on Belmont avenue.

Mr. Granz was married in New York city to



Online LibraryJames Miller GuinnHistory of the state of California and biographical record of the San Joaquin Valley, California. An historical story of the state's marvelous growth from its earliest settlement to the present time → online text (page 218 of 262)
Using the text of ebook History of the state of California and biographical record of the San Joaquin Valley, California. An historical story of the state's marvelous growth from its earliest settlement to the present time by James Miller Guinn active link like:
read the ebook History of the state of California and biographical record of the San Joaquin Valley, California. An historical story of the state's marvelous growth from its earliest settlement to the present time is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014