James O'Laverty.

An historical account of the Diocese of Down and Connor, ancient and modern (Volume 3) online

. (page 2 of 32)
Online LibraryJames O'LavertyAn historical account of the Diocese of Down and Connor, ancient and modern (Volume 3) → online text (page 2 of 32)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

with most graduate students, the schedule is challenging and time consuming, thus, finding time to
explore the vast resources of NC State can be difficult. The UGSA was established with the intent
to solve this problem by making the graduate experience both ftiiitflil and more comfortable
through access to the knowledge of experienced UGSA members.

The UGSA can provide answers to questions regarding graduate student life and may be contacted
via departmental representatives or the UGSA president, whose telephone number can be obtained
fi-om the Graduate School. Students may also visit the UGSA homepage embedded in the
Graduate School's homepage on the World Wide Web. All graduate students are invited to attend
the monthly meetings and become involved with the UGSA.




Applicarions for admission must be accompanied by the following: two official transcripts from
all colleges and universities previously attended, references from at least three people who know
of the student's academic record and potential for graduate study, a non-refimdable application fee
of $55.00 for US Citizens and Permanent Residents or $65.00 for Non-Resident Aliens
(Internationals) and, in most cases, an official statement of the student's Graduate Record
Examination or other standardized test scores. Application and reference forms may be obtained
by writing or visiting the Graduate School, 106 Peele Hall, Box 7102, North Carolina State
University, Raleigh, NC 27695-7102. When completed, all application materials should be
returned according to instructions. Application is made for a specific degree program and date of
enrollment (see Admissions).

International Students

Students whose native language is other than English, regardless of citizenship, must submit
TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores as evidence of ability to use English at a
level of competence sufficient for graduate work. The minimum requirement for admission is a
TOEFL score of 2 1 3 on the computer-based test, with at least 1 7 on two of the three sections and
no section score below 13. For students taking the paper-based TOEFL, the minimum requirement
for admission is an overall score of 550, with scores of 50 on at least two of the sections and no
section score below 45. (Minimum score subject to change; departments may establish a higher
minimum requirement.) The test date must be within 24 months of the application deadline date
before the semester for which the application is being reviewed. An official score report issued by
the Educational Testing Service is required. The international applicant must provide the
University with verification that the required funds are available to support the proposed program
of advanced study. Foreign nationals in the United States at the time application is made must also
provide information regarding their current visa status. The University provides special forms to
be used by the applicant in supplying this information.


The procedures followed in evaluating an applicant's potential for success in graduate work and
the criteria used for admissions decisions vary according to programs and colleges/schools and
reflect an evaluation of the applicant's potential to engage in graduate work and the capability of
the individual programs to accommodate additional students. Most programs consider applications
as they arrive, while others accumulate applications and make recommendations on admission at
certain times during the year. Generally, requests for admission are considered by departmental
admissions committees which forward the departmental recommendations to the Dean of the
Graduate School.

Students are admitted to fiill or provisional status in a specific degree program. Admission is
granted for a specific semester or summer term. Any change in the admission date must be
requested in writing and approved by the department and Graduate School. Once the requirements
for that degree program have been completed, no fiirther registration as a graduate student will be
permitted unless admission to a new graduate classification has been formally approved. Students


with special objectives may request admission in the "Graduate-Unclassified Status" or register in
the "Post-Baccalaureate Studies" program through the Division of Lifelong Education.

Full Graduate Standing

To be considered for admission in full graduate standing, an applicant must have a baccalaureate
degree from a college or university recognized as standard by a regional or general accrediting
agency and must have at least a "B" average in the undergraduate major or in the latest graduate
degree program.

Provisional Admission

1 . Provisional admission may be granted to applicants with bachelor's degrees from accredited
institutions who lack undergraduate work considered essential for graduate study in a major
field. Course work, without graduate credit, will be required to make up such deficiencies before
admission to full status can be granted.

Applicants with bachelor's degrees from nonaccredited institutions may be granted provisional
admission when their academic records warrant this status. Additional course work will be
required of such students when deficiencies in previous training are apparent.

Full graduate standing is granted when the deficiencies responsible for the provisional status are
corrected, provided the student has maintained a satisfactory academic record (3.0 Grade Point
Average) on all course work taken in a graduate classification. A change from provisional status to
fiill graduate standing is effected only upon the recommendation of the department in which the
student is seeking the degree.

2. Students with bachelor's degrees from accredited institutions whose scholastic records are
below the standards for admission to full graduate standing may be admitted provisionally when
unavoidable, extenuating circumstances affected their undergraduate averages or when progressive
improvement in their undergraduate work warrants provisional admission. Students admitted
provisionally under these circumstances will have their status changed to fiill graduate standing
after completion of nine or more graduate credit hours following admission provided the student
has maintained a GPA of at least 3.0

A graduate student is not eligible for appointment to an assistantship or fellowship while on
provisional status.


All graduate students admitted to a degree program are required by State law to submit a Report of
Medical History and Immunization documentation prior to completing their initial registration.
NC State students returning to Graduate School must have their medical history on file updated at
the Student Health Center. The required reports should be received in the Student Health Services
at least thirty days before registration. If this requirement is not met, a student must be removed
from classes.



The Graduate-Unclassified status is a temporary classification and students admitted to this status
are not candidates for degrees. They may take courses for graduate credit but may not apply more
than 10 credits earned while in this status to any program leading to an advanced degree at this
institution. Unclassified graduate students are expected to meet the same admissions requirements
that apply to graduate students in full standing. Any individual having an interest in applying for
admission as a Graduate-Unclassified Student should correspond with the Graduate Dean
describing his or her particular interests and objectives prior to making application.

Special Graduate-Unclassified Status for International Student Visitors

1. International student visitors must state their educational objectives at NC State and the
time expected to accomplish those objectives. The educational objective may not be to
seek a graduate degree at NC State.

2. They are expected to meet the same minimum academic admission requirements that
apply to graduate students in full standing.

3. They are expected to meet the same TOEFL requirements that apply to international
students who are admitted to master's and doctoral programs if they plan to take courses.
If they plan to register for Master's Supervised Research 693 or Doctoral Supervised
Research 893 only, they are not required to take the TOEFL.

4. They must be recommended by the Director of Graduate Programs in the department in
which they plan to take courses or do research.

5. They may be in this special admission status for a period not to exceed one year.

6. They may hold a research assistantship but may not hold a teaching assistantship.

7. They will not be eligible for the Graduate Student Support Plan.


The Post-Baccalaureate Studies (PBS) classification is designed for U. S. citizens who wish to
undertake academic work beyond the baccalaureate degree but who are not currently admitted to a
degree program. This classification is not open to international students with the exception of the
spouse of a regularly enrolled NC State student. In special cases where students are sponsored by
an agency of the U. S. government for specialized, non-degree study, approval may be given by
the Graduate School for registration in the Post-Baccalaureate Studies classification. The
following policies apply to students who wish to register for PBS:

1 . All must have baccalaureate degrees from accredited institutions of higher education.
Registration is through the Division of Lifelong Education.

2. All classes taken for credit by PBS students will be graded in the usual manner that
applies for the particular course (A+ through F or S,U). All courses taken at NC State will
show on the student's transcript.

3. If the student is admitted as a graduate student, a maximum of nine hours may apply
toward the minimum requirements of the degree for which the student is enrolled,
including hours approved for graduate credit while classified as a senior, unclassified
undergraduate or professional engineering student. The first nine hours of course work
taken at the graduate level in the PBS category will be accepted toward degree


requirements unless a request for some other combination of nine hours is made by the
student's advisory committee and approved by the Graduate Dean.

4. Ten hours of PBS credit is allowed when one course is a 4-hour course.

5. The grade point average (GPA) of a graduate student who has credits in the PBS category
will be based on all courses taken at the 400-800 level. However, no course taken six (6)
years prior to enrollment into a program can be used to meet the requirements for a later
master's degree at NC State.

6. Registration is limited to a maximum of two courses per semester. Individuals who are
employed full-time should limit their PBS registrations to one course per semester.

7. The PBS classification carries with it no implication that the student will be admitted to
the Graduate School in any degree classification.

8. All course work accepted for degree credit must be approved by the student's advisory
committee as being germane to the program. Requests for degree credit for courses
completed in the PBS classification are considered after admission to a graduate degree
program when the student's Plan of Graduate Work is filed with the Graduate School.

9. PBS students are expected to familiarize themselves with Graduate School policies and to
seek further advice or clarification as needed.


Students unable to attend day classes may complete all courses required for a graduate degree in
certain areas by enrolling in late afternoon and evening classes. Some of the areas available
include: adult and community college education, agricultural education, extension education,
counselor education, curriculum and instruction, English, history, liberal studies, management,
public administration, public history and technical communication. Contact the department of
interest for further information.


Professional degree students are admitted as undergraduate students, are classified as "PR"
students and are subject to rules and regulations as established and administered by the Dean of
the College of Engineering.

A professional degree student who is subsequently admitted to the Graduate School may, with the
approval of the master's advisory committee, the major department and the Graduate School
receive graduate credit for a maximum of nine hours credit for courses in which a grade of "B" or
higher was received.


The Cooperating Raleigh Colleges (CRC) is a voluntary organization comprised of North Carolina
State University, Meredith College, Peace College, St. Augustine's College, St. Mary's College
and Shaw University. Graduate programs are currently offered only at NC State and Meredith
College, but the organization provides the opportunity for graduate students to enroll at either
institution for a course or courses not offered on their home campus.

Any NC State graduate degree student who is enrolled in at least three graduate credit hours on the
NC State campus may take a course at Meredith College during the fall or spring semester,


provided that (a) the course is not taught on the NC State campus and (6) the advisory committee
considers the course educationally desirable.

NC State students may not register for more than a total of two courses in any semester at
Meredith, and no more than six of the required academic credits for a master's degree at NC State
may be accepted from that institution. Grades from Meredith are not used in computing a student's
NC State grade point average.

Under this agreement, regular tuition and fees are paid to NC State. Certain special fees may be
required for specific courses at Meredith, and the student is responsible for paying these fees.


Public school personnel who are primarily interested in "certification credit" may enroll in the
PBS program through Adult Credit Programs and Summer Sessions without forwarding transcripts
of previous work to the Graduate School. In such cases, the College of Education and Psychology
will be responsible for assessing the adequacy of the applicant's qualifications for enrollment in
the course(s) concerned.

Registration and Records

The Office of Registration and Records must have authorization fi-om the Dean of the Graduate
School before a graduate student in any classification will be permitted to register for classes. This
authorization will be sent to the Office of Registration and Records at the time the student is
notified of acceptance for graduate study. All students attending classes must be registered for
credit or audit. Grade records are furnished the students at the end of each scheduled school term.


NC State participates in an Interinstitutional Registration program with the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and Duke University.
Under this agreement, graduate students enrolled at NC State may undertake course work on these
campuses upon the recommendation of their advisory committees. Courses offered by North
Carolina A&T University and by the University of North Carolina at Charlotte over the
Microelectronics Center of North Carolina communications system are also available through
Interinstitutional Registration.

Even though taking a course on another campus, the graduate student is exclusively under the
administrative direction of the NC State Graduate School. Enrollment for courses on other
campuses will take place on this campus, using special forms obtained from the Department of
Registration and Records. The Graduate School shall consider courses taken on other campuses as
a part of the student's normal load, and the billing for such work will be through the NC State
University Cashier's Office. During the summer the procedure is somewhat different in that a
student must be eruolled in a least one course on the NC State campus during the same session as
the requested interinstitutional registration.

When the grading system on the campus being visited is different from the NC State system,
grades received under Interinstitutional Registration will be converted to the NC State system.


"H," "P," "L" and "F" grades earned at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and "E,"
"G," "S" and "F" grades earned at Duke University will be converted to "A," "B," "C" and "F"
grades, respectively.


A full-time graduate course load is 9 to 15 credits per semester (including audits) and 3-6 credits
per summer session (including audits). Audits in subjects in which the student has no previous
experience will be evaluated at full credit value in determining course load. Audits taken as
repetition of work previously accomplished are considered at one half of their value in calculating
course loads. With the single exception of foreign language audits, all audit registrations must fall
within the range of maximum permissible course loads.

Foreign students on F-1 and J-1 visas are required by the Immigration and Naturalization Service
to carry a full-time course of study to remain in status.

Graduate students holding assistantship appointments are restricted to 9 hours per semester if they
hold an appointment of one-half-time or greater and 1 2 hours per semester if they hold a one-
quarter-time appointment. With advance written permission from the Graduate School, a student
may take more than the maximum semester course load during a particular semester if the total
credit hours do not exceed 24 hours per year if the appointment is one-half-time or 30 hours per
year for a one-quarter-time appointment.


NC State uses a uniform Schedule of Full-Time Status of Graduate Students for Loan Deferment,
Financial Aid, Payroll Tax Withholding and Veteran's Benefits Purposes. To maintain consistency
throughout the university system, faculty members do not have the authority to submit individual
letters verifying the status of a graduate student. This schedule will be the only resource used to
determine a student's status for one of these purposes.

Registration and Records in Room 1000, Harris Hall processes all student loan deferments. The
Graduate School will not be directly involved in preparing loan deferment letters.

It is important to reiterate that the fiill time/ part time requirements set forth in these paragraphs
are only used for purposes of determining a student's eligibility for loan deferments, financial aid,
payroll tax withholding for graduate assistantships and veterans benefits. These in no way insure
membership eligibility in the Graduate Student Support Plan.

Full-time determination for Fall and Spring Semesters





• Registration for nine (9) or more credit hours per Fall
or Spring semester or

• A minimum of three (3) hours per semester during the
semester in which the student is completing the last
course(s) required to complete the degree, or

• Three (3) hours per semester of XXX 699 (Master's
Thesis Preparation) for students in thesis programs,
who have completed all other requirements for their
degree, including research credits, except for
completing and defending the thesis.

• Registration for 3 - 8 credit hours per
Fall or Spring semester.

• Registration for one ( 1 ) hour of XXX
699 (Master's Thesis Preparation) for
students in thesis programs who have
completed all other requirements for
their degree, including research
credits, except for completing and
defending the thesis.


• Registration for nine (9) or more credit hours per Fall
or Spnng semester until the student completes all
credit hour requirements for the degree, including
research credits, and the oral preliminary examination,

• Three (3) hours per semester of XXX 899 (Doctoral
Dissertation Preparation) for students who have
completed all requirements for their degree (including
research credits and the oral preliminary examination)
except for completing and defending the dissertation.

• Registration for 3 - 8 credit hours per
Fall or Spring semester.

• Registration for one (1) hour of XXX
899 (Doctoral Dissertation
Preparation) for students who have
completed all requirements for their
degree (including research credits and
the oral preliminary examination)
except for completing and defending
the dissertation.

Full-time/part-time determination for Summer School Sessions

Graduate students registered for 3 hours or more, or GR 697, in summer sessions are full-time
during that session regardless of the length of the session. Students registered for 1-2 hours or any
other GR course are half-time for the duration of the summer session, regardless of the length of
the session. Students who hold graduate assistantships in the Spring semester and who hold a
research assistantship through the following summer months are considered fiiU-time by the
University through August 15 as long as they hold the appointment. In spite of being classified by
the University as a "full-time" student during summer semesters solely on the basis of their
research or teaching assistantship, a graduate student will not be treated as exempt from F.I.C.A.
payroll tax withholding during the summer terms solely on this basis. Only graduate students who
are registered for a period of 5 weeks or more during the summer are exempt in this regard.

Regardless of the semester, student loan deferments are processed by Registration and Records,
Room 1000, Hams Hall. The Graduate School is not directly involved with loan deferment letters.
Full time/ part time requirements set forth here are only used for determining eligibility for loan
deferments, financial aid, payroll tax withholding for assistantships and veterans benefits. These
do not insure a membership eligibility in the Graduate Student Support Plan.

Drop Dates for Minicourses

The drop date for a five-week minicourse is the last day of the third week of the minicourse. The
drop date for a seven- week minicourse is the last day of the fourth week of the minicourse.


The Grading System

NC State University uses the following grading system:

Grade Points/Credit-


A+ 4.33

A 4.00

A- 3.67

B+ 3.33

B 3.00

B- 2.67

C+ 2.33

C 2.00

C- 1.67

D+ 1.33

D 1.00

D- 0.67

F 0.00

Also, S or U grades are given for certain courses. There are no grade points associated with SAJ
graded courses.

Grading of Graduate Courses

Graduate courses numbered at the 500- and 700-levels are graded A+... F, while 600- and 800-
level courses are S/U graded. Typically, lecture courses are at the 500 or 700 level, while
research, seminar and individual study types of courses are 600- or 800-level courses. Courses
regularly graded A+...F and taken for SAJ grading cannot be used to satisfy the minimum
requirements for the degree.

In order to receive graduate degree credit, a grade of C- or higher is required. To graduate, a
student must have a minimum 3.0 average on all graduate course work as well as all courses on
the Plan of Graduate Work, including those credits earned in a PBS classification that become a
part of the Plan of Graduate Work. This policy is strictly enforced. While SAJ graded courses do
not affect the grade point average, a student who receives a U on any course will not receive credit
for that course and may be required to repeat it.

All grades on courses taken for graduate credit as an undergraduate at NC State and all grades on
courses taken in a graduate classification at NC State in courses numbered 400 and above are


included in the graduate grade point average. Courses at the 300 level and below are not eligible
for graduate credit and subsequently do not affect the graduate GPA.


At the discretion of the instructor, students may be given an "IN" (Incomplete) grade for work not
completed because of a serious interruption in their work not caused by their own negligence. An
"IN" must not be used, however, as a substitute for an "F" when the student's performance in the
course is not passing. An "FN" is only appropriate when the student's record in the course is such

Online LibraryJames O'LavertyAn historical account of the Diocese of Down and Connor, ancient and modern (Volume 3) → online text (page 2 of 32)