James O'Laverty.

An historical account of the Diocese of Down and Connor, ancient and modern (Volume 3) online

. (page 3 of 32)
Online LibraryJames O'LavertyAn historical account of the Diocese of Down and Connor, ancient and modern (Volume 3) → online text (page 3 of 32)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

that the successful completion of particular assignments, projects, or tests missed as a result of a
documented serious event would enable that student to pass the course. Only work missed may be
averaged into the grades already recorded for that student. A student who received as "IN" must
complete the unfinished work to have the Incomplete converted to a final grade by the end of the
next semester in which the student is enrolled provided that this period is not longer than 12
months from the end of the semester or summer session in which the Incomplete was received;
otherwise, the "FN" will be automatically converted to "F" or "U," in accord with the grading
approved for the particular course. All grades of "FN" must be cleared prior to graduation.
Students must not register again for any courses in which they have "IN" grades; such registration
does not remove "IN" grades, and the completion of the course on the second occasion will
automatically result in an "F" for the incomplete course.

Except in the case of Interinstitutional Registration, grades on courses transferred from another
institution will not be included in computing the grade point average.

Grade Changes

When submitted to the Department of Registration and Records, end-of-course grades are final
and not subject to change by reason of a revision of the instructor's judgment nor are submitted
grades to be revised on the basis of a second trial {e.g., a new examination or additional work
undertaken or completed). Changes may only be made within one calendar year after the date final
grades were submitted in order to correct an error of computation or transcribing or where part of
the student's work has been unintentionally overlooked.

Academic Warning, Probation and Termination

Graduate students are given a notice of academic warning if they have accumulated less than nine
hours at the 400 level or above and have less than a 3.0 GPA. Graduate students are placed on
academic probation if they accumulate nine or more but less than eighteen credit hours at the 400
level or above and have a grade point average of less than 3.0 GPA. A student's graduate study is
terminated if eighteen or more credit hours at the 400 level or above are accumulated with a grade
point average of less than 3.0 GPA. In the case of program termination, no further registration in a
graduate classification will be permitted. Under extenuating circumstances the student will be
reinstated upon the written recommendation of the department and approval by the Graduate
Dean. Departments have the prerogative of recommending the termination of a student's graduate
admission at any time if the student is not making satisfactory progress toward the degree.

Students who are eligible to attend the first summer session are eligible to attend either or both
summer sessions. For example, students who receive a notice of "Graduate Admission


Terminated" at the end of the first summer session may register for second summer session unless
the major department recommends otherwise.

Eligibility for Assistantship, Fellowship or Traineeship

A graduate student must be in good academic standing (3.0 GPA or better average) to be eligible
for appointment to an assistantship, fellowship or traineeship and must be registered in each
semester in which the appointment is in effect.


After a student is admitted to the Graduate School and enrolls for the first time, she/he is required
to maintain continuous registration, i.e., be enrolled each semester, excluding summer sessions,
until she/he has either graduated or her/his graduate program at NC State has been terminated. All
students who graduate during the second summer session must be registered for either the first or
second summer session. A student in good academic standing who must interrupt her/his graduate
program for good reasons may request a leave of absence from graduate study for a definite period
of time, normally not to exceed one year. The request should be made at least one month prior to
the term involved. Upon endorsement of the request by the student's graduate advisory committee
and Director of Graduate Programs, and approval by the Graduate School, the student would not
be required to be registered during the leave of absence. The time that the student spends on an
approved leave of absence will be included in the time allowed to complete the degree, i.e., 6
years for master's and 10 for doctoral. Graduate students whose programs have been terminated
because of failure to maintain continuous registration and who have not been granted a leave of
absence during a fall or spring semester will be required to reapply for admission if they wish to
resume their graduate studies at NC State.


A member of the senior class may, with prior approval of the Dean of the Graduate School,
register for graduate credit in courses at the 400 through 600 levels as long as the combmed
graduate and undergraduate credit load is not more than 1 5 hours. Seniors with an accumulated
grade point average of 3.2 or better in their major may enroll for a combined graduate and
undergraduate credit load of 18 hours upon the recommendation of the student's advisor and
approval by the department and the Graduate School. A senior may accumulate no more than six
hours of graduate credit, and those graduate credits may not be applied toward the requirements
for a baccalaureate degree. Courses at the 700 and 800 levels are not ordinarily open to
undergraduates except for seniors in bachelor's/master's programs, although occasional exceptions
are made for senior honor students. Seniors desiring to take courses for graduate credit should
contact their major advisers who will forward appropriate requests to the Graduate Dean for


Students wishing to audit courses must have the approval of their advisers and of the instructors
teaching the courses. While auditors receive no course credit, they are expected to attend class
regularly. The degree to which auditors must participate in class beyond regular attendance is
optional with the instructors; any such requirements should be clearly explained to the auditors in
writing at the beginning of the semester. An instructor who feels that an auditor has failed to fulfill


the stipulated requirements is justified in marking "NR" (no recognition given for audit) on the
grade report roll.


There are three official graduations for graduate students per year, occurring at the end of the fall
and spring semesters and at the end of the second summer session. Formal commencement
exercises are held at the end of spring and fall semesters, but any student who graduated the
preceding second summer session is eligible to participate in the December commencement. Any
doctoral candidate wishing to have the degree conferred in absentia must notify the Graduate
School in writing; master's candidates should contact their departments or programs.

Diploma Order Request Cards

The diploma order request card is the form used to order a diploma for a student anticipating
graduation at the end of a particular semester or second summer session. The cards are normally
due to the Graduate School Office by the end of the third week of classes during the fall and
spring semesters and by the graduation deadline noted in the Calendar for the second summer
session graduation. Students graduating in the spring are awarded their diplomas during the
commencement exercises. In the fall those doctoral graduates attending the commencement
exercises receive their diplomas, while the diplomas for those doctoral graduates not attending the
exercises and the master's graduates are mailed by the Department of Registration and Records.
The diplomas for those students graduating at the end of second summer session and those not
attending a formal commencement exercise are mailed by Registration and Records which is also
responsible for the ordering of diplomas.


Students earning a Master of Arts, Master of Science, Doctor of Education or Doctor of
Philosophy degree will receive diplomas designating the degree but not the program of study.
Suidents earning master's degrees in a designated field will receive diplomas indicating the field
of specialization, i.e.. Master of Forestry. Students with co-majors will have those identified on
their transcripts but not on their diplomas.

Tuition and Fees

Tuition and fees for the 2000-01 academic year and for Summer 2001 are shown below. They are
subject to change each year.

A statement of tuition and fees is mailed to each preregistered student approximately five weeks
before the beginning of any term. The statement must be returned with full payment or complete
financial assistance information by the due date appearing on the statement. Normally the due date
is approximately two weeks before classes begin. Non-preregistered students are required to pay
their tuition and fees before registering







Tuition and Fees

Tuition and Fees




















Tuition and Fees

Tuition and Fees































(*For definition of resident and non-resident students for tuition purposes, see Residence Status
for Tuition Purposes.)

Audits: During semester when registered and paying for other course work: One audit free, each

additional audit same cost as for credit;

During semester when not registered for other course work: Same cost as for credit;

During any summer session: Same cost as for credit.

Full-time Faculty or Staff $ 7

Microfilming Doctoral Dissertation: $57


Full-time faculty of instructor rank and above and other full-time employees of the University who
hold membership in the Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System may register for credit
or as auditors with free tuition privileges for one course in any academic term at any campus of the
University of North Carolina. Free tuition privileges do not apply during the summer. Each
applicant for free tuition must submit through regular channels a form provided by the University.



Refunds for official withdrawals from NC State are prorated, based upon the percentage of the
enrollment period attended. No refunds are made for official withdrawals after 50% of the
enrollment period. The prorated withdrawal schedule will be publicized through university media
after it is established.


The Cooperative Education Program (co-op) is designed to enhance the quality of instruction and
learning by providing interested, qualified graduate students a broader understanding of their
fields of study and their applicability to the world of work. Over 500 partners in industry, business
and government request graduate students for their co-op positions primarily on a full-time basis.
Job offers are made by the employer based on student qualifications. Employer needs are a
reflection of the labor market. Work assignments are supervised by the employer and monitored
by the co-op program staff On average, 75 graduate students are at work each semester and earn
an average of over $17 per hour. Co-op participants must enroll each term of employment at a cost

For admission to the program, students must meet the following criteria:

• Full-time enrollment at NC State immediately prior to the first work session.

• Presentation of an NC State transcript when applying for the program.

• A minimum grade point average of 3.0.

• Attendance at a co-op orientation session.

• Written approval of the graduate advisor or Director of Graduate Programs.

• An interview with the Cooperative Education Director or Coordinator.

International students must also meet visa regulations pertaining to curricular practical training.
Further information is provided at orientation sessions. Call 515-4427 for a schedule.


The basis for determining the appropriate tuition charge rests upon whether a student is a resident
or a nonresident for tuition purposes. Each student must make a statement as to the length of his or
her residence in North Carolina with assessment by the institution of that statement to be
conditioned by the following:

Residence— To qualify as a resident for tuition purposes, a person must become a legal resident and
remain a legal resident for at least twelve months immediately prior to classification. Thus, there is
a distinction between legal residence and residence for tuition purposes. Furthermore, twelve
months' legal residence means more than simple abode in North Carolina. In particular, it means
maintaining a domicile (permanent home of indefinite duration) as opposed to "maintaining a
mere temporary residence or abode incident to enrollment in an institution of higher education."
The burden of establishing facts which justify classification of a student as a resident entitled to
in-state tuition rates is on the applicant for each classification, who must show his or her
entitlement by the preponderance (the greater part) of the residentiary information.


Initiative - Bemg classified a resident for tuition purposes is contingent on the student's seeking
such status and providing all information that the institution may require in making the

Parents' Domicile— U an individual, irrespective of age, has living parent(s) or court-appointed
guardian of the person, the domicile of such parent(s) or guardian is, prima facie, the domicile of
the individual; but this prima facie evidence of the individual's domicile may or may not be
sustained by other information. Further, nondomiciliary status of parents is not deemed prima
facie evidence of the applicant child's stams if the applicant has lived (though not necessarily
legally resided) in North Carolina for the five years preceding enrollment or re-registration.

Effect ofMarriage-Mamage alone does not prevent a person from becoming or continuing to be a
resident for tuition purposes, nor does marriage in any circumstance insure that a person will
become or continue to be a resident for tuition purposes-poses. Marriage and the legal residence of
one's spouse are, however, relevant information in determining residentiary intent. Furthermore, if
both a husband and his wife are legal residents of North Carolina and if one of them has been a
legal resident longer than the other, then the longer duration may be claimed by either spouse m
meeting the twelve-month requirement for in-state tuition status.

Military Personnel-A North Carolinian who serves outside the State in the armed forces does not
lose North Carolina domicile simply by reason of such service. Students from the military may
prove retention or establishment of residence by reference, as in other cases, to residentiary acts
accompanied by residentiary intent.

In addition, a separate North Carolina statute affords niition rate benefits to certain military
personnel and their dependents even though not qualifying for the in-state tuition rate by reason of
twelve months' legal residence in North Carolina. Members of the armed services, while stationed
in and concurrently living in North Carolina, may be charged a tuition rate lower than the out-of-
state tuition rate to the extent that the total of entitlements for applicable tuition costs available
fi-om the federal government, plus certain amounts based under a statutory formula upon the in-
state tuition rate, is a sum less than the out-of-state tuition rate for the pertinent enrollment. A
dependent relative of a service member stationed in North Carolina is eligible to be charged the in-
state Uiition rate while the dependent relative is living in North Carolina with the service member
and if the dependent relative has met any requirement of the Selective Service System applicable
to the dependent relative. These mition benefits may be enjoyed only if the applicable
requirements for admission have been met; these benefits alone do not provide the basis for
receiving those derivative benefits under the provisions of the residence classification statute
reviewed elsewhere in this summary.

Grace Perioci-lfa person (1) has been a bona fide legal resident, (2) has consequently been
classified a resident for tuition purposes and (3) has subsequently lost North Carolina legal
residence while enrolled at a public institution of higher education, that person may continue to
enjoy the in-state tuition rate for a grace period of twelve months measured from the date on
which North Carolina legal residence was lost. If the twelve months end during an academic term
for which the person is enrolled at a State institution of higher education, the grace period extends,
in addition, to the end of that term. The fact of marriage to one who continues domiciled outside
North Carolina does not by itself cause loss of legal residence, marking the beginning of the grace


M«or^— Minors (persons under 18 years of age) usually have the domicile of their parents, but
certain special cases are recognized by the residence classification statute in determining residence
for tuition purposes.

(a) If a minor's parents live apart, the minor's domicile is deemed to be North Carolina for the time
period(s) that either parent, as a North Carolina legal resident, may claim and does claim the minor
as a tax dependent, even if other law or judicial act assigns the minor's domicile outside North
Carolina. A minor thus deemed to be a legal resident will not, upon achieving majority before
enrolling at an institution of higher education, lose North Carolina legal residence if that person

( 1 ) upon becoming an adult "acts, to the extent that the person's degree of actual emancipation
permits, in a manner consistent with bona fide legal residence in North Carolina" and (2) "begins
enrollment at an institution of higher education not later than the fall academic term next
following completion of education prerequisite to admission at such institution."

(b) If a minor has lived for five or more consecutive years with relatives (other than parents) who
are domiciled in North Carolina and if the relatives have functioned during this time as if they
were personal guardians, the minor will be deemed a resident for tuition purposes for an enrolled
term commencing immediately after at least five years in which these circumstances have
existed. If under this consideration a minor is deemed to be a resident for tuition purposes
immediately prior to his or her eighteenth birthday, that person on achieving majority will be
deemed a legal resident of North Carolina of at least twelve months' duration. This provision acts
to confer in-state tuition status even in the face of other provisions of law to the contrary; however,
a person deemed a resident of twelve months' duration pursuant to this provision continues to be a
legal resident of the State only so long as he or she does not abandon North Carolina domicile.

Lost hut Regained Domicile - \i a. student ceases enrollment at or graduates from an institution of
higher education while classified a resident for tuition purposes and then both abandons and
reacquires North Carolina domicile within a 12-month period, that person, if he or she continues to
maintain the reacquired domicile into re-enrollment at an institution of higher education, may re-
enroll at the in-state tuition rate without having to meet the usual 12-month durational
requirement. However, any one person may receive the benefit of this provision only once.

Change of Status— A student admitted to initial enrollment in an institution (or permitted to re-
enroll following an absence from the institutional program which involved a formal withdrawal
from enrollment) must be classified by the admitting institution either as a resident or as a non-
resident for tuition purposes prior to actual enrollment. A residence status classification once
assigned (and finalized pursuant to any appeal properly taken) may be changed thereafter (with
corresponding change in billing rates) only at intervals corresponding with the established primary
divisions of the academic year.

Transfer Students-'When a student transfers from one North Carolina public institution of higher
education to another, he or she is treated as a new student by the institution to which he or she is
transferring and must be assigned an initial residence status classification for tuition purposes.

Prevailing North Carolina Lavf-General Statute (G.S.) 1 16-143.1 is the prevailing statute
governing residence status classification. A copy of the applicable law and/or implementing
regulations is available for inspection in the Office of Graduate Admissions, 106 Peele Hall.


Residence-and-Tuition Status applications are also available in the same office and questions
should be directed to that office.

Financial Support for Graduate Students

Fellowships and Graduate Assistantships

Graduate students may receive financial support through fellowships, traineeships and teaching or
research assistantships sponsored by federal, state and private agencies. Prospective students may
request consideration for financial assistance by completing the appropriate sections of the
admissions application form. Applicants for these awards should correspond directly with the
department of major interest concerning the availability of awards and related
information. Enrolled students should contact the major department. Prospective and enrolled
graduate students are encouraged to apply for national and regional fellowships in addition to
awards sponsored through the University. Information on how to apply for this type of financial
assistance is available in the Graduate School or on the "Financing Graduate Education" page on
the World Wide Web at http://www2.acs.ncsu.edu/grad/funding/fellows.htm. Enrolled or
prospective students may also consult the Office of Financial Aid for information on federal loan

A graduate student must be in good academic standing (3.0 GPA or better average) to be eligible
for appointment to an assistantship, fellowship or traineeship and must be registered in each
semester in which the appointment is in effect. There are also minimum registration requirements
for eligibility for tuition and health insurance benefits.


The University offers approximately 2,100 assistantships each year. Stipend rates for teaching and
research assistantships are competitive with other universities. For further information on the
availability of assistantships, applicants should contact the program area of interest. Graduate
Teaching Assistants and Graduate Research Assistants may be eligible for health insurance and
tuition benefits. Graduate Services Assistants do not participate in these benefits.


Some departments or programs offer fellowships. Students are nominated for these fellowships by
their departments or programs with selection being made by faculty committees or by the
Graduate School. For additional information concerning such fellowships, the applicant should
contact the appropriate college, department or program.


These awards are made to an individual rather than to the University. Recipients are chosen
through competitions expressive of the terms of each award. Examples of these awards held by
currently enrolled graduate students follow:

National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship
Department of Defense National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate


Fellowship (DOD NDSEG)

Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship

EPA Science to Achieve Results (STAR) Fellowships

National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering Inc.

(GEM) Fellowship

National Physical Science Consortium: Graduate Fellowships for Minorities and

Women in the Physical Sciences

Applications and/or information on the above fellowship programs are available in the Graduate

Online LibraryJames O'LavertyAn historical account of the Diocese of Down and Connor, ancient and modern (Volume 3) → online text (page 3 of 32)