Jacob married Miss Cramer or Hart. Their chil-
dren were Mary, Philip, Treenie, Elizabeth, Marga-
ret, William, and Peter. In 1817, Jacob and his
family went to Ohio. Mary was married to Philip
Hoffman, and Treenie to Peter Schuyler; the rest
married in Ohio.
William married Catharine Apgar. Their children
were Adam, married Charity Philhower, old Christo-
pher's daughter; Peter, Catharine Trellsie; Ann,
Samuel Heldebrant; Philip, first, Miss Merrill,
second. Mary Everett : Edward; William, Miss Hen-
dershott; Mary. Frederick Sargeant ; Barbara, a Mr.
Siekel ; Elizabeth married Frederick Apgar; charity,
Peter M. Hoffman; Mary, Peter Sutton; Ann, Wil-
liam Fleming; Catharine, died young. The br.it her,
George, who went to Virginia, left only two daugh-
ters, jo that the name died nut in his family.
,1 ii I i r came from Germany in the immigra-
tion, ami bought a large farm a little south of '
burg. His children wen- George, Nicholas, Jacob,
Abraham, Elizabeth and other - ; ■ mar-
ried Ann Teats; Nicholas moved to Ohio. Jacob
went to Peapack. Elizabeth married Peter Sutton.
Abraham's children were Jacob, married Ann Jobs
and died aged Beventy-two; Adam, Man Philhower.
and moved to Pennsylvania; George, Maria Lutz ;
Peter. Ann Johnson; Elizabeth; Effle, P
Bhurtz; Ann. Peter Teat-. The last moved to Illi-
William Welsh came from Germany and settled in
Round Valley, Lebanon township. His sons were
HUNTERDON COUNTY, NEW JERSEY.
Morris, Jacob, John, and William ; his daughters,
Jacob was the first of the name in Tewksbury. He
came in 1797, and settled where David Welsh now
lives, a mile northwest of New Gerrnantown. His
father gave him the land, willing it to his wife, to
revert to his children at his death. He married Cath-
arine Crater. His children were William, married
Margaret Drake, born 1798 ; Morris, Susanna Felm-
ley ; David, Polly Dean ; Jacob, Amanda Gulick ;
Isaac, Margaret; David Terriberry; Dorothy, John
Craig ; Esther, William Sutton ; Julia Ann, William
William Welsh, Jacob's brother, married Margaret
Drake. His children were John Vandervoort, who
married Keziah L. Fisher, and Mary Ann, who mar-
ried Jeremiah H. Field.
Tunis Melick came from Germany before or about
1735. He married Miss Van Horn, of Whitehouse,
and settled where Peter W. Melick now lives, buying
about 200 acres from Ralph Smith and afterwards 400
acres two miles west of New Gerrnantown, still in the
Melick name, owned by Peter W., and known as the
Tunis Melick property. He had only one son, Peter
(married Susan Egbert, of Readington), and several
daughters. Ellen married Abraham Vliet; Anna,
Isaac Farley; another daughter, John Vliet; Treenie,
Mindurt Farley ; Margaret, Dennis Wyckoff; and
another, Martin Mail.
Peter's children were Tunis, Mary, Nicholas Egbert,
James, Peter, Abraham, John V., Ellen, Susan, Eliz-
abeth. Tunis married Sarah Van Sickle. Their chil-
dren were Susan, married Jacob D. Trimmer; Andrew
V. S., Rachel McKinstry ; Peter W., Caroline Apgar,
and Emma Ray. Mary married Moses Felmley.
Nicholas Egbert married Elizabeth Backer. Their
■children were Peter, married Jane Miller ; Christo-
pher, Maria Cortelyou; John W., Elizabeth Apgar;
Susan Ann, William Krager; James, Emeline Ken-
nedy ; Edwin, Miss Dunham ; Catharine, Stephen
Wortman ; William, Elizabeth Fisher ; Elizabeth,
Of the rest of the emigrant's sons, James married
Lydia Van Sickle; Peter, Ruth Leek; Abraham,
Maria Kline; John V., Maria Able. Their children
were Peter, married Margaret Latourette ; William T.,
Rachel Philhower ; Ernest, Fanny Hoffman ; Susan,
John Lane; Jane, Smith Cole; Lavinia, Austin
Clark; John V., Margaretta Craig; Emeline, Jacob
Of the daughters, Ellen married Andrew Van
Sickle; Susan, Cornelius Defore; Elizabeth, Charles
Williams. Ellen and Susan went to New York State;
Elizabeth to Ohio ; Peter to Indiana ; James to Pea-
pack, and Abraham to Morris County. The rest set-
tled about New Gerrnantown.
David Felmley was first of the name in Tewksbury.
He came near 100 years ago. He was born about
1756, and married Sophia Sidells. He owned 500
acres, and had thereon still-works and tannery. His
children were Moses, married Mary Melick ; John,
Hannah Valley ; William, Ruth Apgar ; David, Miss
Wyckoff, Miss Line, and Mrs. Ginthro, formerly Miss
Stillwill ; James Parker, removed West ; Margaret,
married John Alpaugh ; Sarah, Jonathan Barkman ;
Katy, William Apgar ("Pony Bill"); Sophia Ann,
George Philhower. These all left Tewksbury except
David, Sarah, and Katy.
David lived in the old parsonage. His children
were Peter Wyckoff, married Margaret Condit ; Pohl-
man, Kate Honeyman ; Emeline, Cornelius Voor-
hees ; Margaret, Edward Barry.
Moses' children were David, married Sarah Logan ;
Susanna, Morris Welsh ; Peter M., Gertrude Smith ;
John, Ann Stothoff and Ellen Voorhees ; Anthony,
Catharine Van Dyke, Margaret Cortelyou, and Ade-
line Park ; twins who died young.
Sarah Barkman's children were David, married
Ann Crate; Pohlman, Melinda Rinehart; William;
Catharine, Andrew Van Fleet ; Elizabeth, William
Katy Apgar's family were David, married Katy
Alpaugh; William, Elizabeth Hotrum; Jacob New-
ton, O. W. Farley's daughter ; Fanny, Cornelius
Lance ; Katy, William McCatharine ; Livia Sophia,
Charles Fritts. Sophia Ann Philhower's sons live
near Irvington, N. J.
John Van Fleet came from Holland and settled in
Readington. John, his son, lived in Lebanon. John,
son of this last, came to Tewksbury about 1800, and
married Eleanor Van Syckle. In 1809 he bought
the place where Andrew now lives. His children
were John, Andrew, Maria, Isaac, Elizabeth, Aaron,
Alfred, George, and Abraham. John married Miss
Lance; Andrew, Catharine Ann Barkman; Maria,
Joseph Kennedy. Nearly all went to Illinois.
Andrew Van Syckel came from Readington and
bought the. place where his grandson, Andrew Van
Syckle, now lives. Of his children, Capt. James Van
Syckle married Catharine Backer, and went to Sussex
County ; John M., Christina Cramer, and went to Illi-
nois ; Andrew married Sarah Kennedy, Whitehouse ;
Sarah, Tunis Melick ; Eleanor, John Van Fleet ; Ann,
Michael Shurtz, Illinois ; Rachel, Samuel Crater,
Lebanon ; Lena, John Hunt, Readington.
Philip Hiler and Mary Rowe came from Baden in
1752 to New Brunswick. She was but three years
old, and was bound out, till she was eighteen, in pay
for her passage. After their marriage they came to
Tewksbury and bought the farm John Bosenbury now
owns. His children were William ; Adam married
Christina Auble ; Polly, Sylvester Davis ; Lena, John
Henry; Philip,* Margaret Young; Jacob, Ann Yaa-
ger. His house was built 1792. Philip's children
were Mary Ann S., married Dennis Potter, and then
John Bosenbury ; William Young, Sarah Rowe ;
* Membor of the Assombly of Now Jorsoy.
Eliza Ncvius, George Moore. Adam was captain of
the ship "Revenge." He was poisoned by a Tory
woman. He was a brave and active officer and a
i teorge (or John) Fisher came from < rermany about
L790, and settled in Changewater. Hi- Bon, Rev.
George Fisher, came to Tow ksbury in 1797 or 1798,
and about 1 8 1 "> bougl rex, a part of the Fox
Tract, where Charles McKagins now lives, from
James An hie. lie marrirrl [[annali 1 1 Her. Their chil-
dren were Mary, married Rev. Mr. Lee, of Denville;
John, Miss Miller; Elizabeth, Ann Rose, of Newton ;
George, Anna Sutton; Christopher, Margaret Groff;
Henry, Anna Job iisi m ; Susan, Amos lloagland : .Mar-
garet, Rev. Samuel Hull, of Frenchtowri.
Frederick Bartles came from Germany to Philadel-
phia ami married Miss Apt. lie was one of the early
colonists who settled at New Germantown. He soon
engaged in the manufacture of iron at Hacklebarney,
and in 179-'! went to the bead-waters of the Susque-
hanna (Steuben Co., X. Y.), where he built the first
mills and was the pioneer in the use of "arks" for
transportation. Two of his -on-. Andrew and Joseph,
lived at (Tew Germantown. Andrew married Cath-
arine Plum in 1790, and was for some time a hatter,
afterwards a farmer. His children were Charles,
Frederick, Henry, Joseph, Sarah, Julia, Ann, Eliza,
Phebe. Charles married Eliza Hart, and afterwards
Eliza Randall, and resides in I'lemington ; Frederick,
Elizabeth (?) Williams, ami lives in Si. Louis ; Henry,
Susan Van Pelt, Fos 1 1 ill ; Joseph, Phebe Ann Hi lor,
Kansas; Eliza, Joseph Cornish, merchant and farmer,
Jugtown; Phebe, George B. Stothoff, farmer near
Flemington. The others were single. All were born
in New Germantown. Joseph was a merchant in
New Germantown. He afterwards bought from his
brother Andrew the farm on which Jacob K. Parties
now lives, residing there (ill he died. Hi- children
were Jacob K. and a brother who lives at Fleming-
Three brothers named Pickel early came from Ger-
many together. One (Baltes settled at Whitehouse
and one at Lebanon. George, grandson to one of
these, was the first of the nam.' to reside in Tewks-
bury, at Pottcrsvillc. His children were Frederick,
married Mary Heldebrant; [saac, Margaret Gulick,
Potters ville ; Alfred, Sarah ( 'rater, Foa 1 1 ill ; Samuel,
Deborah Panic-, a farmer at Union ville; Matthias,
Maria Smith, ami went West; George, Jane Beavers,
tanner at Pottersville j Henry, Mary Evert, Potters-
ville; Marritta, John Rowe, Pottersville; Ruth,
John Davis, Chester. Rev. Hen . now in
Kansas, i- a son of Matthias.
/" Aaron Sutton was one of the first settlers, and kept
a store before the Revolution where Joshua A. Farley
now lives, south of Pottersville. His family were
Mary, married John McKin-lr\, wl wind Van
• Sco (ip. 338, 330 for n further account ,.f Frederick Btutlea.
Dyke's mill, and a sister, who married Joshua Farley,
Aaron's brother Richard married Mi - Chidester.
Their children were Aaron, whose family went i 1-. -
where, and Samuel, married Ellen Ylict. His chil-
dren were \nna, married George Fisher, Fox Hill;
Eleanor, John < '. Moure ; William, Esther Welsh, and
afterwards Dorothy Welsh. William's children were
Catharine Ann, married William H. Ylict ; Samuel,
Elizabeth Melick; William. Emma J. Goltra.
Jacob Kline came from Germany about 1752, and
settled in Readington. His bod Jacob early settled
in New Germantown, and bought the farm on which
Benjamin Van Doren now lives. He sunk the present
tan-yard occupied by Jacob Specht. His children
were Jacob, married Lydia Quick; Mary, Richard
Field, of Bound Brook, grandfather of Dr. Field;
Fanny, Isaac Lewis; John, Sally Williams ; Phrebe,
Joseph Parties, of Xew Germantown; Catharine,
Aaron Dunham, Clinton; Elizabeth, Jacob Milhr,
Flanders; Petty. Benjamin Van Doren, New German-
town; Rev. David, Lutheran minister, at Sprue. Pun,
Jli 1 1 1 > Miller came from t rermany about 17:;"'. and
worked for his passage after his arrival. His wife's
name was Catharine, sister of Tunis Melick. Their
children were Henry, married Miss Paird, and then
Catharine Sharp; David, Elizabeth Welsh; Jacob,
Elizabeth Sharp ; Elizabeth, Christian Kline; Cath-
arine, Paltns Stigcr. Henry's children were Jacob
B. ; Ann, married William Little (pronounced Lytle) ;
John P. Sharp. Elizabeth Lambert, and then Eliza-
beth Neighbor, daughter of 1 (avid Neighbor. David's
children were Jacob W.. lawyer at MorristOWn, Wil-
liam W., David W.. Henry. Eliza, married Rev. John
C. Van Dervoort, of Patcrson ; Dorothy, Thomas
G.Talmage; Mary, Mr. Yan Pelt ; Catharine, single;
Lydia Ann, married Moses De Witt, of Patcrson.
Samuel Potter, the ancestor of the Potter family,
came from Wale- about lii>i"> t" near Elizabeth. His
son Daniel, horn 1692, lived at Connecticut Farms.
Daniel's son Samuel, born 17.7, was a colonel in the
Revolution, and lived at the cross-roads, a little west
('apt. Samuel Potter, who was the third child of
t !ol. Samuel, married Sarah Parsons, and lived on the
Lamington River, opposite Pottersville. His children
were Col. Jonathan Potter, married Hannah Wolver-
ton, of Canada ; Sering; Elizabeth, married TI us
Mult'ord; Sarah. Hugh Battle} : Samuel, died aged
Col. Jonathan Poller built the house U0TI
pied by Bering's widow, and came over into Tewk -
liury township. Hi- children are Sering, married
Elizabeth Smith ; Dennis, Mary \nn Hiler, now Mrs.
John Bosenbury; Maria, died young; Sarah, mar-
ried Col. John McKiii-try; Samuel, Jane Rue;
Thankful, Benyew Dunham; Jonathan W., Gertrude
Craig; Mary. David Dunham, brother of Benyew.
HUNTERDON COUNTY, NEW JERSEY.
Sering's children are Joseph, Jonathan, Sering,
Edmund, Harvey, Elizabeth, and Sarah.
George A. Vescelius, "the Red-Cheeked Doctor"
(see history of the physicians of Hunterdon County),
was the great-grandfather of the Vescelius family at
Fairmount. Andrew, his son, had children, — George
Andrew, Henry, James, Theodore, Sally (married
Henry Carpenter), Helen (married Mr. Price), and a
daughter who married Joseph Fisher. These mostly
moved to New York State.
George Andrew married Gertrude Heldebrant.
Their children are John, Helen, Isaac, Andrew, Hi-
ram, Oliver, and Aaron. John married Catharine
Field. His children are scattered. Oliver carries on
the largest tannery in the county, at Fairmount.
Aaron married Mary Ann Miller. His daughters are
Andrew Van Derbeek came from Six-Mile Run to
Tewksbury in 1800, and bought about 300 acres on
the Lamington River, where J. Newton Van Derbeek
now lives. He married Altha Barcalow. His chil-
dren were Maria, Gertrude, Elizabeth, Jacques, An-
drew, Cornelius, John Barcalow, Ann, Elijah, Wil-
Maria married Joseph Craig, uncle to Robert
Craig. Their children were Altha, Andrew, went
West; Jacques, married Frederica Harrold; Susan;
John, married Ann Filbert; Ann, Henry Parker,
and afterwards Rev. Dr. John Hoffman, a Lutheran
minister; Amanda, Lewis J. Harrold, of Reading;
Sarah, Charles Remington, of Philadelphia; Syms
Henry, Kate Sebring.
Cornelius married Elizabeth McDowell. Their
children were Jacques, married Mary Ann Smith,
and afterwards her twin-sister Susan ; John, Emeline
Crater, now Mrs. Otis, of Somerville. After the death
of Elizabeth McDowell, Cornelius married Eliza Dun-
ham. Their children were Benyew, married Sarah J.
Van Arsdale ; William B., Elizabeth Cole ; Andrew,
John Barcalow married Catharine Longstreet.
Their children are Elizabeth, married Col. Arthur
S. Ten Eyck, of Somerville; Horace A., Mary
Duyckinck ; J. Newton, Gertrude H. Blauvelt,
daughter of Dr. Blauvelt, of Lamington ; Emily L.,
William S. Potter, of Somerville; Anna M., Hon.
Alvah A. Clark, M.C.
The father of Jacob R. Fisher came from Clinton
township to New Germantown about 1824. His chil-
dren were Fanny, married Derrick Sutphin ; Jacob R.,
Dinah Van Doren ; William, Elizabeth Seig.
John Fox was one of the very earliest settlers
of Tewksbury township. He purchased a tract on
Fox Hill, which took its name from him. He built,
or caused to be built, the first Presbyterian church of
Fox Hill, a small one inclosed with shingles for
siding. Little is known about him. He lived for a
time south of Farmersville, and afterwards above the
church, where he died.
Adam Reber was one of three brothers who came
from Germany about 1731 and settled, one at Clin-
ton, one (Adam) at Whitehouse, and one at Easton.
One of them became known as Adam Reger, an-
other as Creger, and the other as Riker. Adam
was the ancestor of the family in Tewksbury town-
ship ; his descendants are now living in the south
part. He removed here before 1776, and bought 200
acres where the widow of Harmon Reger now lives.
His children were Frederick, John, Harmon, Mary,
Margaret, Kate, and Ellen.
Frederick's children were William, Jacob, Adam,
John, Isaac, David, and a daughter.
John, horn 1782, married Sarah Todd. His chil-
dren were Adam, Elisha, Henrietta, John, William,
Catharine Sarah, Augustin, Job C. Adam married
Susan Ann Lambert; Elisha, Margaret Wyckoff;
Henrietta, Isaac Vosseller; John, Ann Sutphin;
William, Jane A. Hickson and Mrs. Mary Todd;
Catharine Sarah, G. V. Stryker ; Augustin, Margaret
Vosseller ; Job C, Phebe Sutphin.
Harmon married Margaret Jobs. She is still living,
over ninety, on the homestead. Her child, Catharine
Ann, married George Carhart.
For the Smith family, see the history of the Smith
family in Bedminster ; for the Lindabury family, see
their family history in Lebanon township ; for the
Honeyman family, see in Bedminster township, Som-
erset Co. ; for the Ogden family, see the history of
the physicians of Hunterdon County, etc.
EARLY LAND TITLES.
At the time when West Jersey was divided into
hundredths, James Parker, of Perth Amboy, grand-
father of Hon. Cortlandt Parker, was one of the pro-
prietors, and got a tract of land in Tewksbury, includ-
ing that part west of the New Germantown and Fox
Hill road, and running north from Cokesburg and
New Germantown to and beyond the Morris county
line. From him all the early settlers of that part of
the township got their titles. His agent for a long
time was Andrew Bartles, of New Germantown.
The Livingstons of New York were, like Parker,
proprietors east of the Fox Hill road, and until 1836
rented out their land to residents at a nominal sum.
On the south or east side of the " society line," which
passes north of Robert Craig's, being north 42° east,
James Logan was the proprietor. It was put out in
100-year leases at first, and afterwards sold.
This "society line" ran from Lamington Falls to
the top of Cushetunk Mountain, and was the bound-
ary of a section known as the " Society's Great Tract,"
which the West Jersey Society had surveyed for them
about the year 1711.* Robert Craig, near New Ger-
mantown, has a parchment deed in his possession
from James Logan to Joseph Smith, bearing date
June 1, 1740, bounding on this " society line." There
* Sou Mott's "Hint Century of Hunterdon County," p. 12.
were several " proprietors" of West Jersey who held
lands through the township. Harvey Potter, of Pot-
tcrsville, has a parchment deed bearing date April
27, 1722, conveying 215 acres, part of 1100 acres
which belonged to Thomas Wetherill "by virtue of
his several shares or parts of proprieties throughout
the province of West Jersey, and was taken up by
virtue thereof by a warrant from the council of pro-
prietors, and surveyed Oct. 27, 1714." It was sold by
Thomas Wetherill to James Beck for "£100, current
silver money of West Jersey."
Paul A. Heldebrant bought from Peter R. Fisher,
of New Germantown, Livingston's agent; so did
Joseph Beavers, Christian Fisher, .John Fisher, George
A. Tiger, and E. W. Ililf. Ten or twelve dollars an
acre was about the price paid by them.
The first hotel in Tewksbury was at New German-
town. It occupied the ground where the residence
of Mr. John Spec-lit now stands. A very old building
is remembered by the oldest citizens as " the old tav-
ern," but it was not the first one occupying this >ite.
It was kept by Dr. Crazier, David Melick, and Wil-
liam Farley within the memory of men. John Far-
ley purchased it in 1788 " from the trustees of Zion
Church, the sale being a perpetual lease, or what was
termed a quit-rent."*
The present house wits built by Dr. Oliver Barnet
in 1800, and was first kept by Daniel .Melick. James
Honeyman, father of Dr. Honeyman, owned and kept
it from 1812 to 1824. Then Peter Fisher kept it over
twenty years. After him, Matthias Cramer, one year;
Samuel Clark, from 184(5 to 1872; James Large, one
year; John It. (Mark, seven years; Austin R.Clark,
since the spring of 1880.
The hotel at Cokesburg was there over sixty years
ago. It was first built and kept by John Farley,
uncle to 0. W. Farley. John Henry followed him;
then Conrad Apgar. Jacob Apgar next kept it
twenty years; then 0. W. Farley, twenty years;
Richard Hoffman, two or three; William Melick,
two; John Baker, six or seven; John Wickoll', one
year; William Wickoll', a few months; lieiijamin
Wolverton, one year; John Messcrole, six months;
Asa Alpaugh, the pre-ent occupant.
The earliest hotel at Mountain ville was twenty-two
years ago; Richard llotl'man opened it, but Daniel
Totter had built the house long before. A.C.Snyder
kept it a year; Richard Hoffman oame back to it a
year; Noah Hoffman kept it five or sis years; Hiram
ltittenliotise, a year; Andrew .1. Potter, live years;
Jonathan Totter, now llSSiti seven years.
Jacob S. Apgar built the hotel at Calil'on in 18(>0,
and was the lirst hotel-keeper for two years; then
James A.nderson, One year; Richard llotl'man, three
years; Isaac Sheets, one year; William lteid. three
years ; George Beavers, three ; Morris Eick, one year ;
Charles Bowlby, six yean.
Where J. V. \\'el-h now lives Jesse Gray kept a
hotel from 1823 to 1830. There has been none there
since. A hotel wits kept from about 1838 to 1842 or
1843 at the distillery, about a mile from Fairmount,
but was then discontinued.
Oliver Barnet was the first physician in Tewksbury.
He came to New Germantown from Orange in 1765,
at the age of twenty-two, and began his professional
career. He soon acquired a large practice, purchased
from Tunis Melick the property long known as Barnet
Hall, — now owned by Peter W. Melick, — became the
most prominent man in the region, and died in 1809,
at the age of sixty-six.
Isaac Ogden, his brother-in-law, graduate of the
College of New Jersey in 1784 and physician at
While House, came to N'ew Germantown about 1800,
when his family lirst appears in Lamington church. At
Dr. Burnet's death he took charge of his estate, which
lie managed for his si-ter, and relinquished the prac-
tice in favor of his nephew, Oliver Wayne Ogden,
who had married a Miss Wisner, a niece of Dr. Bar-
net, and succeeded to his practice. "I>r. Wayne,''
as he was called, soon removed to Perth Amboy, but
returned to New Germantown and succeeded to the
estate of Dr. Barnet by inheritance.
His cousin, William Barnet, another nephew of Dr.
Oliver, commenced practice at New Germantown.
He died in early life.
John Honeyman was the successor of Oliver Wayne
Ogden. (For personal sketches of him and others see
chapter on " Medical Profession of Hunterdon.")
Dr. John S. Linaberry, the first physician at
Mountainville, is in practice still.
FIRST MILLS, Etc.
The first mill in the township was built by Ralph
Smith, where Peter W. Melick now lives, before 17(52.
He sold it to Tunis Melick. who in turn sold to Dr.
Barnet soon after 1 705. The mills on the Bockaway
now owned by John Lane were built very early and
called Thompson's mills. In 175"' they W6M called
Johnson's mills.f There was a distillery very early on
Dr. Dusenbury's grounds in New Germantown, built
probably near the same time. Aaron Sutton built a
mill at Calil'on. on the Lebanon side of the rixer. be-
fore 1800. Old John Sutton built the first mill at
Fairmount, It was an old mill in 1811. It was re-
built by Jacob T. Philhower in 1860. Cokesburg
Furnace was built 1764. There was also :i Hackle-
barney Forge near the Falls of Lamington, now Pot-
tersville.t There was a mill on the Lamington, on the
property next to that now owned by William Button,
built by a Mr. Van Dyke, and called Van Dyke's
• Ool, it. it- Honeyman In "Qui Horns," c IW.
I -in ir Homo," pp. it:. ISO.
J Motl'n History of Hunterdon Count;, p. 22.
HUNTERDON COUNTY, NEW JERSEY.
mill, in the last century. It was torn down sixty or
sixty-five years ago, and rebuilt about three hundred
yards below as a still-house on the Somerset County
side. There were mills at Pottersville very early.
The earliest road from New Germantown to Fox
Hill was about half a mile east of the present turn-
pike, and was probably one of the first in the town-
ship. It still exists. The earliest on record is " from
Fox Hill to Hugh McCan's mill, and down the river
to the fording-place," June 23, 1756.
Feb. 15, 1762, a road was relaid from Ralph Smith's
mill to the Allamatunk bridge. The first record of
the appointment of overseers is in 1757. Nov. 12,
1787, a road was laid from a corner of the field of
David Jones, adjoining the Potterstown road, through
the woods, and so down the Rockaway to James Par-
ker's saw-mill. The road up the Rockaway Creek is
probably as old as the township. There was a very