eBooksRead.com books search new books
James Venning.

An illustrated postal directory with map and historical notices, of twenty parishes in East Cornwall, for the new century. From A.D. 449 to 1901 online

. (page 28 of 39)
Online LibraryJames VenningAn illustrated postal directory with map and historical notices, of twenty parishes in East Cornwall, for the new century. From A.D. 449 to 1901 → online text (page 28 of 39)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

At the Churchtown there stands the shaft of an ancient but
mutilated cross, and at Trelaske the head of another.



LEZANT.




Photo by]



LEZANT CHURCH.



[ IJai/iitaii. Lauucento}!.



LEZANT. •- ■ .. 161



The Church of Lansante {i.e. Holy Church) was

THE dedicated to St. Briocus, September 25th, 1259. It

CHURCH, comprises a chaucel, nave, north and south aisles

and a vestry. Thp. church of St. Breoke is an ancient
building of granite and freestone, in the Perpendicular style, con-
sisting of chancel with aisles, nave, aisles, south porch and an
embattled western tower, with octagonal battlemented turrets
and crocketed pinnacles, containing six bells ; the chancel retains
the ancient piscina and an aumbry, and there is a piscina in the
south aisle ; the rood stairs remain. The south window in the
chancel is a Memorial to Thomas and Caroline Phillipps,
erected in 1871. The church was restored in 1869, and has 222
sittings. The register dates from the year J 539.

iMz-kviiiMCMxc Among the Monuments in the Church are the
mOINUMblNlb. foiio^,ing._

" Here lieth ye bodies of John Mills and Johan his wife, the eldest daughter

of Thomas Spoiire and Anne his wife, daughter and sole heir unto Nicholas

Trebartha. of Trehartha ; lohich .John and Johan deceasinge together in the

feaste if Pentecost, were buried in one grautt the 11th daij of March, in Anno

Domini 1573. God grant them a joyful resurrection.^'

Arms.— Spoure quartering Trebartha.

There is an altar tomb of carved slate to the Trefusis family.

"This marble monument faiere though it be,
Trefusis, yet is farre vnfit for thee ;
'Vnfit, because vnlike tliis liard heyune stone.
Thou meek and mild, incidions unto none ;
This base as l^eynge, if traced out of earth ;
Thou generous by descent, of ancient birth ;
And which is most, this fraile and ever wastinge ;
But thou eternall now and ever lastinge.
Only herein this tomb seems like to thee,
As this, so thou in church still lovest to be.

The soules of those whose bodies thus ar spent.
Seated above the starry firmament.
Have gayncd astate more permanent & sure.
Let him (that ho])es to have his howse, indure
For ever) build it there, where death nor fate
Shall alter or determine his estate."

Arms. — Trefusis impaling Coryton.

On the south wall are the effigies of a man and children in the
attitude of devotion and the recumbent figure of a woman.

There is a Latin inscription to the Rev. Thomas Snell, A.M.,
who was Rector of this parish for 30 years, and died September
23rd, 1670.



162 venning's histoeical notices.

Marble and other monuments are inscribed as follow : —

" In memory of the Rev. Charles Mayson. D.D., son of the Rev. Peter
Mayson, M.A., whom he succeeded in the Rectory of Lezant, July 3Ist,
1784. Born at Frome in Somersetshire, he there under the instruction of
his father, an able and judicious master, laid the foundation of those
attainments which he cultivated and exercised as Fellow and Tutor of
Wadham College in Oxford. In after life he was distinguished as a
magistrate by an acute and vigorous understanding, a steadfast loyalty,
an inflexible love of Justice, and an ardent desire of promoting the Pablic
Good. As a neighbour, a master, a husband, and a friend, he was hospit-
able, kind, affectionate, and sincere.

As minister of this parish he zealously preached what he firmly
believed, and diligently practised the pure doctrines and precepts of the
Gospel. Having endured a long and jiainful illness with Christian
resignation and hope, he died on the 14th day of January, 1815 ; in the
63d year of his age."

"In memory of Henry Austen, S.T.P., Rector of Lezant, in Cornwall,
aW Prebendary of the prebend of Stratton, in the County of Dorsett,
who putt on immortality the 'Jth day of January, Anno Domini, 1729."

" Sacred to the memory of the late Reverend Thomas Meyrick, B.A.,
.of Carthamartha in this parish, rector of Covenham St. Mary, Lincoln-
shire, second son of the late Reverend Owen Lewis Meyrick, rector of
Holsworthy, Devon, and descendant of the bouse of Bodorgan in Anglesea.

Fully conscious of the account he must give of the souls committed to
his care, he discharged his duties with unremitting zeal for nearly forty
years.

His bequests to various societies for the relief of the poor were large
and extensive.

He was a man of classical and general learning. His private character
was marked by strict integrity and upright principles.

He bore an illness of three years with fortitude and religious resigna-
tion. He departed this life May 27th, 1841 ; aged 66 years. Requiescat
in pace."

A slate tablet attached to the south wall on the outside is
inscribed :

" Near this place lyeth the body of Fitz-Anthony Pennington, who was
buried the 26th day of January, Anno Domini 1690. Also John, his son
was buried here the first day of September, A.D. 1676."

In the chancel, which is richly ornamented and decorated,
there is a coloured window representing the Crucifixion and the
Last Supper, and a tablet with this inscription : —

" To the glory of God and in memory of John Simmons Tregoning, of
Landue, born April 26th, 1814, died March 31st, 1878, and of Elizabeth
Avery Tregoning, his wife, born July 3, 1806, died October 20th, 1843.
This window and chancel decorations are dedicated 1883."



LEZANT. 163



Although there is not any account in Wesley's
METHODISM, Journal of his visit to this parish, yet it is

stated that he preaclied in a room at Trebithick.
There are two ladies of the name of Budge now living in
Callington, who say that they were informed in their younger
days by their grandmother, who died in her 94th year, that they
were both born in the same house, and one of them in the same
room where John Wesley preached.

In 1810 a Trust was formed at Trebullett, in this parish, and
a Plot of Ground, in Russell's Meadow, with a Methodist Meeting
House belonging to Mr. John Husband, yeoman, were transferred,
and became the property of the Wesleyans. How long before
this date the Meeting House existed cannot be discovered. John
Husband was an old Methodist in 1810, and for many years had
furthered the cause. In the days of Adam Clarke he attended
the preaching at Launceston, and his burly form might have
been seen standing by the youthful minister in the streets, and
once when a rotten egg came whizzing through the air in close
proximity to Adam Clarke's head, John Husband, with much
cleverness, caught it in his hand and saved the preacher from
the stinking missile. At the age of 67, John Husband died, and
was buried in the ground adjoining the Meeting House. In
"Gilbert's History of Cornwall" there is the following record:
— " The Armenian Methodists have a Meeting House at TrebuUet
to which has lately been added a burial ground."

The interment took place amid a large assemblage of spectators,
who came from adjoining parishes. The grave occupies a central
position in the old Burial Ground. The tombstone bears the
following inscription : —

" Sacred to the memory of Jno. Husband, of Trecarrel IMill. As a man he
possessed an inteUi<fent mind, as a Christian he happily enjoyed those
sound principles which reformed his practices. He was liberal in his
sentiments, yet a decided Methodist for 40 years. Retaininif ins confidence
in God and triumi)hin» in hope of Eternal felicity : he died of an impost-
hume, December 2.Sth, 1818.

He gave this plot of ground to be a rei)ository for the dead, in which by
an unerring Providence he was the first to be interred."

Since 1810 the Meeting House has been enlarged to the pre-
tentions of a Chapel, in which many souls have been led to
Christ. In the year 1871 the new Chapel was erected, and the
old sanctuary has been used as a Schoolroom. Amongst the tried
Methodists of this Society, we must name Mr. and Mrs. Sargent,
late of Botonnett, and Mr. and Mrs. Maurice Budge, late of
Trebithick, in this parish.



164



VENNING S HISTOEICAL NOTICES.




Photo }>!/]



TKK.CARKEL HAf.L. [Captain L. Chhig, Laiinceston.



The most noted place of antiquity and of
TRECARREL. historic interest in this parish is Trecarrel,

where may still be seen the ivy-clad remains-
of a large Mansion begun by Sir Henry Trecarrel, who resided
here about the year 1540 ; but it was never completed. There is
still standing — as shewn in our illustration — the great Hall
which was built about the same time by Sir Henry Trecarrel,
who was the last of that name. A chapel, dedicated to " St..
Mary Magdalene," was also built by him, and remains complete.
The reason why the mansion at Trecarrel was prevented from
being completed was supposed to be on account of an accident
that occurred, of which we give a verbatim account from the
MS. of W. Harvey, on "The History of Linkinhorne," written
174 years ago : —

" Sir Henry Trecarrell dwelt at Trecarrell, in Lezant. and built the chapel
now standing there, and the great hall also ; and had naade great pre-
paration for a great buildnig there of hewed moor-stone and timber,
and other things. But as the tradition goes, his lady being in travail
for a child, and he being ver.y well skilled in Astronomy and Astrology,
found by his knowledge and skill that if the child were then born it
would die in its infancy by an untimely death, and therefore heartily
begged the woman, then with his lady, to prevent the birth if possible



LEZANT. 165



one hour, which she could not do, but she was brought to bed of a
young son, who in his infancy having a basin of clean water brought
to him to wash his face and hands, by a servant maid, wtio stepping
away to fetch a towel for him — that while he stitied himself in the said
basin of water, and was immediately found dead — which frustrated the
hopes of Ills father, and prevented liis great building at Trecarrell.
Upon which he bestowed the remainder of his time and money in
pious and charital>le uses ; and the stones already carried home at
Trecarrell, he caused to be convej'ed to Launceston ; and the old
church called St. Stephens, being built of freestone and decayed, he
caused to be taken down and rebuilt as it now standeth, and dedicated
to St. Mary Magdalene, about the year 15-li), towards tiie latter end of
the reign of King Henry 8th. He had a design to have rebuilt the
tower also in that space between the church and the old tower, now
there standing, but was i)revented l)y death before it was begun. The
town of Launceston was before that time called Dunheved. The
north side of the church of Linkinhorne with the tower, being then
also in decay, the said Sir Henry Trecarrell caused the remaining part
of the stones, prepared and not brought home, to be brouglit at
Linkinhorne. and with them built the north side of the said church
and tower, causing his coat of arms to l)e there set up. as saith tlie
author ; but whether in the stone work, glass or timber, I never could
understand."

Polsue in liis Notes on Harvey's MS. of Linkinhorne, says : —

" Sir Henry Trecarrel, alias Esse, of Trecarrel. in Lezant, was buried at
Lezant. June li'th, 1544 ; his wife was Margaret, daughter and heir of
John Kelway. or Kellaway ; she was buried at the same place. February
12th, lbb'2. 'J'liey left three daughters, co-heiresses ; Katherine the
eldest, married William Harris of Radford, Devon ; Jane, the second,
married Wm. Kelly, of Redcliffe, Devon ; and Oliver, his brother,
married the third daughter whose name is not given. This branch of
the family of Trecaii'el. alias Esse or De Esse, bore for their arms —
Argent. 2 chevrons sable ; — and his wife, the heiress of Kelway. Aigent,
2 bones in saltire sable, between 4 pears ; both coats are sculptured on
the stone work of Launceston Church, but the latter prevails. The
arms of Trecarrel have not been found on the Church at Linkin-
horne."

The ancient name of tliis parisli, Lansante, gave name to a
family, as a Deed is still extant, dated 19 Eichard 11. (1395),
between Rogerus de Lansante and Henry Page of Landue, with a
fine seal of the family arms attached. This Koger de Lansante
was also, about the same time, one of the witnesses to a Deed
made by one of the Trecarrels.

''In Lezant jiarisli hereby," writes Carew, " master Christopher Harris
owneth a tliird part of Trecarrell (the jn'oject an onset of a sumptuous
building) as coheire to the last (Jentleman of that name, but admitted
no partner in the sweetly tempered mixture of bounty and thrift,
grauity and pleasantnes, kindnesse and stoutnes ; which grace all his
actions."



166 venning's historical notices.

Trecarrel-Js also made famous in history by

KING CHARLES being a resting place of King Charles I. and

AND his army, during the great Civil War of the

TRECARREL. Seventeenth Century. It was at Polston

Bridge, near Launceston, about six miles
from Trecarrel, where the King entered Cornwall on the 1st
x\ugust, 1644, to pursue the army of Essex, who, it is supposed,
crossed the Tamar into Cornwall either at Newbridge, Gunnislake,
or at Horsebridge, in Stokeclimsland. The former is about six
miles, and the latter about four from Trecarrel, in Lezant ; so we
may regard this place as the centre of the seat of war at the
outset of the personal campaign of King Charles; and no doubt
the district of East Cornwall, including Launceston, Liskeard,
Bodmin, Lostwithiel, and Caradon Down, was the scene of many
a bloody battle in which the King huuself took a prominent part.
Trecarrel at tliis time belonged to the Manaton family, who must
have been related to the Trecai'rels ; as the arms of the latter are
on the tomb (the inscription on wiiich we give in our pages) in
Southhill Church, of John Manaton, who died in 1507. The
Manatons had a seat at Manaton, in Southhill, and during the
war Lord Bernard and his troops marched to Southhill, and Lord
Bernard quartered at Mr. Manaton's, of Manaton, in that parish,
■whilst the King stayed at tlie liouse of Mr. Jeane, in Liskeard.

Ambrose Manaton, who entertained Charles I. at Trecarrel,
was M.P. for Launceston in 1640, but was disabled in 1641 and
1643, "for deserting the service of the house being in the King's
quarters, and adhering to the loyalists' party." He died in 1651,
and was buried at Southpetherwin, where a monument to his
memory displays two impalements of arms: Manaton and Resky-
mer, and Manaton and Edgcombe.

Lake in his " Historv of Cornwall " savs : —

'•On the 20th July. 1644, the Earl of Essex entered Cornwall, contrary as
it is said to bis own judgment, losing swayed by the advice of Lord
Robartes and some other Cornish gentlemen, who were sanguine in
their expectations, that by their presence and interest they should be
able to do great matters for the service of the Parliament. E.ssex
passed the Tamar at Newbridge (more likely at Horsebridge) after a
.sharp skirmish with Sir Richard Clrenville. and a party of the King's
forces, who defended the pass. He then took possession of Launceston
and Saltash. Sir. R. Grenville's house, which was garrisoned for the
king, was taken by storm. The General then marched to Bodmin, and
afterwards to Lostwithiel and Fowey, where he fixed his head-
quarters, and summoned the County to come to his assistance. Sir
Richard Grenville retired before Essex's army, and having suffered
some loss in a skirmish at Lostwithiel with Lord Robartes' Brigade,



LEZANT. 167



made good his retreat to Truro. The King having determined to
pursue Essex's army, entered Cornwall on the first of August, at
Polston Bridge."

" Previous!}' to entering the County, the King reminded his soldiers that
they were going among a people who had shown themselves much
attached to his cause, ^nd gave them the strictest caution to abstain
from plunder. The King passed through Launceston and slept at
Trecarrel, in Lezant, the residence of Mr. Manaton, his army being
quartered around liim in the fields."

We now give extracts respecting the Civil War in the District
of East Cornwall and particularly relating to Trecarrel, from the
Diary of Ricliard Bynionds, an Essex gentleman, who on the
out-break of the war joined the Eoyalist standard, and
accompanied the King as one of his lieutenants throughout his
campaign in Cornwall : —

■• l(i4-l. Wednesday. 31 July. — This evening his Majestie with his troop,
Prince Maurice and his troop went to see the passes of the river which
divides Cornwall and Devon. Two bridges pulled up. On Wednes-
day some of Ills hoise and foot entered itito Landson (Launceston), in
Cornwall, all Essex his army being gone thence and no resistance.
This day came a messenger to the King from tSir Richard Urenville to
the rendezvouz and told that Sir Ricliard was MOO strong, and desired
his Majestie to make haste towards him. The King bid the fellow tell
him he was coming with all possible speed with an army of 10.000 foot,
5,000 horse, and 2H ])iece of camion. Prince Maurice his army consist-
ing (out of this number) of 5.000 foot, five-and-twenty hundred horse,
11 piece of cannon."

"Thursday. 1 Aug. — His Majestie marclied to Trecarel in the i)sh. of
L^sant (Lezant), and lay there at the house of Mr. Manaton in com.
Cornubiaj. The whole army lay this night round about this house in
the field. His Majestie, &c.. marclied a!)out 4 in the morning, and
came that night to Liskeard."

"Trecarrel built the house where his Majestie lay the niglit Ijefore, tem.
Hen. 7. 'Tre' signifyes towne. and "carrol' merry or song in Cornish."

"Most of the gentry of this Count}' live towards the south sea. This
part of Cornwall which wee have seene they account barren. The
people speak good and playne Kiiglisli here hitherto. Divers of the
country people come to the King with much joy to tell him of his
enemyes where they lay. and "please his worship.' "

Landue is the I'esidence of J. S. Tregoning, Esq.,
LANDUE. and, as will be seen by our illustration, is beau-
tifully wooded. Landew, or more properly Landu
or Landue, i.e., Lan-Dew, God's enclosure, the churcliyard , or the
sanctuary, was purchased by the late John Siiinnons Tregoning,
father of the present proprietor, of Colonel Paul Phillipps, in
1867, for £15,000, including tlie Mansion and gi-ounds of 400



168



VENNING S HISTORICAL NOTICES.




Photo by]



LANDUE.



Hai/7naH, Lavnceston.



acres. Colonel Phillipps was the son of the late Thomas John
Phillipps, who long resided at Landew.

The family of Landeu were for a considerable pei'iod the
owners of this place, of whom John Landeu was M.P. for
Launceston, 2 Edward II., 1308; and Walter de Landeu m
the 8th year of the same reign. Another member of the family
represented the same borough, 50 Edward III., 1376.

Landew continued with its owners of the same name until the
Fifteenth Century, when, in the 36th year of Henry VI., 1457, John
Blyghe, of Botathan, the heir of William de Landue, conveyed
the estate to John Page, who appears to have been M.P. for
Launceston, 7 Edward IV., 1467.

It afterwards came to the family of Eoches, of Eoche, and
then it was sold to Thomas Trefusis, whose granddaughters
carried this estate to the family of Edward Herle, of Prideaux,
Luxulyan. It continued in the family of Herle for three genera-



LEZANT. 169



tions. Nicholas, the eldest son of Edward Herle and Mary
Trefusis, made it his residence, and built the front of the present
mansion, which was incomplete and unfinished at the time of
his death in 1682. Edward the eldest son succeeded to the
•estate, and was sheriff in 1713. He married in 1714, Elizabeth
Northmore. He finished the building of the mansion, and was
M.P. for Launceston, 12 Anne, 1713-14. He died in 1721, leaving
an only son, Northmore Herle, who died in 1737, soon after he
attained his majority, and devised his property to his six half-
sisters, the daughters of Dr. Charles Kendall, who had inter-
married with his mother.

Of the daughters of Dr. Kendall, Elizabeth married in 1740,
Adam Pierce, of Exeter ; and Charlotte, in 1753, Humphry
Lawrence, of Launceston ; and in 1806 the sons of these ladies
sold Landue to Mr. William Bant, whose daughters sold it about
the year 1820, to Thomas John Phillipps.

Greston Bridge, a structure of six or seven arches connects this
parish with Bradstone in Devon. It is stated that the bridge
was built by John Palmer, M.P. for Launceston in the reigns of
Henry V. and VI.

Botonnet, described by Norden as " the howse of Mr. Lowre,"
belonged in the time of Charles II. to Charles Martin, gent., and
is now the property of Mrs. Sargent ; the tithes of this estate
are in moieties between the Kector and the University of Oxford.

Carthamartha, the pleasant villa residence of A. B. Collier, Esq.,
is situated near the Tamar, where the banks are steep and rocky,
and the scenery higlily picturesque.

Besides the ancient chapel at Trecarrel, dedicated to St. Mary
Magdalene, there was a cliapel at Landew, dedicated to St.
Bridget, and another supposed to have been at or near the
•churchtown, dedicated to St. Lawrence.



Since the Directory part of our publication was printed, we have
been informed that the Rev. Canon Tovvnend is leaving the Rectory
■of this parish, and has exchanged Livings with the Rev. Rowland
•Cardwell, of St. Peter's, Fulham.



170



VENNING S HISTOEICAL NOTICES.



LINKINHORNE.

The proper name of this parish is Lankinhorne,

THE which Hals says signifies "a church of iron," and

CHURCH. Bannister, " the Church in the corner." The latter,

as regards the position of its Church in the corner
of the parish, is certainly appropriate. In the Chantry Eolls the
name is Lankynhorne. Linkinhorne, however, is most probably
derived from Llan Tighern — the church of the king, that is, of
St. Melor or Milorus, to whom it is dedicated. It is the finest
church in the neighbourhood and was partly rebuilt by Sir Henry
Trecarrel, Kt. (who also built Launceston Church), in the reign
of Henry VIII. It is a building of freestone and granite in the
Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel — which is modern —
nave of five bays, aisles, south porch, and a well-proportioned
tower arch. The Tower is a substantial structure of cut granite,
said to be 120 feet in height : one of the highest in the County.
It has battlemented turrets, and crocketed pinnacles, and con-
tains six" bells, which were cast in 1805 by the Penningtons of
Stokeclimsland.

The rood stairs remain in the north wall. The Font has a
square basin, supported on a central pillar with smaller ones at




Photo b//]



LIN'KINIIOKM-; ClIUKCH. [//uf/llitl/i. LliiHU-eiitoil..



LINKINHORNE. 171



the corners, and is probably Norman. An ancient altar stone,
incised with crosses, has been laid in the vestry floor since April
14th, 1891. The chalice, with cover, dates from 1572, and the
paten from 1735. The register dates from the year 1576.

The following description of the Church was copied by the
Publisher from the Church Register : —

'• Th'e Church was dedicated to St. Melor, Mellor, Milor, Mdler, Milorus,
said to be the son of Meliatius. Duke of Cornwall, and martyred in A.D.
411. The Font dates from 12HU — 12'J(). and there was probably a small
Norman Chapel on the site of the present church ; as during the restora-
tion in lyiU. a small i)iece of a Xorman capital was discovered. The south
aisle was probably built about 137i>— ]3'.)(). The nave, 1420—14:50. The
north aisle and tower were built by Sir Henry Trecarrel, in 1521 or 1540.
The arches were spanned by iron bars to keep them upright in 178G, about
which time the church was also probably reseated with unsightl}' square
pews. The Tower was releaved in 1G22. and subsequently repaired and
repointed in 1S77. The oldest seats in Tower date back to 1450. some in
south aisle earl}' in Seventeenth Century, rest aljout 178G, pulpit 17H(>."

The church was restoi'ed, April 14th, 1891, at a cost of £1,214,.
during the vicarage of the Rev. W. il. Poland.

JunNllMPNT'^ Tiiere is a magnificent n]arble Monument in

the Church with the following inscription : —

■■ Underneath are deposited the reuiains of Ricliard Saltern, late of
Exwell in this parish, (ientle.nan, who died January XXVllth,
MDCC VIII Aged XLI years—

Also of Agnes Saltern, his wife, who died February XVIII, INIDCCXXXV
Aged LXIX years—

Also of John Saltern, their son. Gentleman, who died January XIII
MDCCLVII aged 5(; years—

Also of Celia Knill, Widow, tlicii- daughter, who resigned this life in
expectation of a better one, Thursday. Augt. 20th. MDCCCI, Aged XCIV



Online LibraryJames VenningAn illustrated postal directory with map and historical notices, of twenty parishes in East Cornwall, for the new century. From A.D. 449 to 1901 → online text (page 28 of 39)
Using the text of ebook An illustrated postal directory with map and historical notices, of twenty parishes in East Cornwall, for the new century. From A.D. 449 to 1901 by James Venning active link like:
read the ebook An illustrated postal directory with map and historical notices, of twenty parishes in East Cornwall, for the new century. From A.D. 449 to 1901 is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014