eBooksRead.com books search new books
Jerome Anthony Watrous.

Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (Volume 2) online

. (page 116 of 133)
Online LibraryJerome Anthony WatrousMemoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (Volume 2) → online text (page 116 of 133)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Hospital, the Johnston Emergency Hospital, and the Milwaukee In-
fants' Home and Hospital. In 1905 he served as first vice-president of
the State Medical Society of Wisconsin, and since 1901 has been the
incumbent of the office of secretary of the Milwaukee County Medical
'Society. Dr. Gray is a Republican in politics, but has never been an
aspirant for public office. Professionally he is affiliated with the Mil-
waukee Medical Society, the Milwaukee County Medical Society, the
State Medical Society of Wisconsin, and the American Medical Asso-
ciation ; fraternally with the Chi Psi college and the Alpha Mu Pi
Omega medical fraternities ; and socially with the University and the
Town clubs of Milwaukee. On Sept. 5, 1906, Dr. Gray was united in
marriage to Miss Ada Pratt Ferry, the daughter of Watson J. and
Mary 1 Russell) Ferry, of Kansas City, Mo. They have no children.

Arthur Tenney Holbrook, M. D., of Kenwood boulevard, Mil-
waukee, was born at Waukesha, Wis., on July 12, 1870, the son of
Arthur and Josephine (Tenney) Holbrook, the former of whom was
born in Madrid, X. Y.. in 1842, and the latter in New Haven, N. Y.,



BIOGRAPHICAL 877

in 1846. A sketch of the father appears elsewhere in tin's work. < Mi
the paternal side some members of the Holbrook, Hazelton, and Bar-
tholomew families were participants in the Colonial and Revolution-
ary wars and the War of 1812, and among the mother's ancestors
members of the Place and Heath families also fought in the two con-
flicts with England. After graduation at one of the Milwaukee high
schools, Dr. Holbrook matriculated at Harvard University and was
there graduated in 1892 with the degree of Bachelor of Science. In
1895 he obtained the degree of Doctor of Medicine at Rush Medical
College of Chicago. From that year Until 1897, lie was house sur-
geon at the Presbyterian Hospital in Chicago, and during the same
period was an instructor in the institution at which, he obtained his
professional training. With the exception of the year 1902, which he
spent in study at Vienna, Austria, he has been continuously engaged
in his practice in Milwaukee since 1897. Since 1898 he has been
attending surgeon at the Johnston Emergency Hospital and local sur-
geon for the same length of time for the Wisconsin Central Railway
Company. He officiates in a like capacity for the Chicago & Milwau-
kee Electric Railway, having been appointed to the last-named posi-
tion during the past year (1908). In 1906 he was chosen one of
the trustees of the Johnston Emergency Hospital, and in the same
year was made attending surgeon to St. Mary's Hospital, a position he
still holds. Between 1898 and 1903 he served as assistant surgeon
with the rank of first lieutenant in the First Regiment, Wisconsin
National Guard. Dr. Holbrook is a Republican, and is a member of
Plymouth Congregational church of Milwaukee. Fraternally, socially,
and professionally, he is identified with the national, state, county, and
city medical societies, the Chi Psi and Nu Sigma Nu fraternities, the
Sons of the American Revolution, the inheritance class of the Military
Order of the Loyal Legion, the Milwaukee Club, and the Milwaukee
Country Club, and he is the present incumbent of the office of presi-
dent of the University Club. On July 29, 1903, Dr. Holbrook was
united in marriage to Miss Bertha Matson Andrews, a daughter of
Alfred Hinsdale and Ella Cornelia (Matson) Andrews, of Chicago.
To this union have been born two sons, Arthur Andrews and Her-
bert Tenney, their respective birthdays being Feb. 19, 1906, and July
9, 1908.

John S. Brennan is recognized as one of the leading men of
affairs of the city of Milwaukee, where he holds the position of presi-
dent of The Brennan Company, manufacturers of dress specialties, and
treasurer of the A. J. Lindcrmann & Hoverson Company, manufac-
turers and engineers. Mr. Brennan was born in the city of Cleveland,
Ohio, Aug. 24, 1868, the son of James and Olivia (Meyer) Brennan,
the former of whom was a native of Manchester, England, born in
1840, and the latter was born in Canton, Ohio, in 1842. The maternal
grandfather was Judge Seraphim Meyer, born in Canton, Ohio, where
he officiated as judge of the courts for several years. He was colonel
of an Ohio regiment in the Civil war, was captured and for several
months endured the suffering and privation of a southern military
prison. He spent the last years of his life at Vera Cruz, Cab, and



878 MEMOIRS OF MILWAUKEE COUNTY

died at that place in 1899, at the advanced age of eighty-five years, his
wife, whose maiden name was Schuchart, passing away in 1888. Gen.
Ed. S. Meyer, a son of Judge Meyer, now living retired in Cleveland,
Ohio, was also a soldier in the Civil war, and was severely wounded,
and captured. Another son, Turen Meyer, is a prominent attorney-at-
law in Canton, Ohio. James Brennan, the father of the subject of this
review, located in Canton, Ohio, soon after his migration to America,
and later removed to Akron, Ohio, where he was the superintendent
of a gas company. He afterward became a citizen of Pennsylvania and
died in Franklin, that state, May 8, 1891. He and his wife became
the parents of seven children, six of whom are living, and the widow
has been a resident of the city of Milwaukee since 1893. John S.
Brennan received his education in the public schools of Cleveland,
Ohio, and the high school of Oil City, Pa., and after leaving school
took up the study of heating and ventilating engineering. He followed
that vocation in various places until 1893, in which year he came to
Milwaukee, where he has since resided, and soon became prominently
identified with the industrial affairs of the city. The two concerns with
which he is associated in an official capacity are reckoned among the
important industrial establishments of the Cream City, the A. J. Lin-
dermann & Hoverson Company employing about 800 people, while the
Brennan Company, located at 115 Wisconsin street, also gives employ-
ment to a large number. Mr. Brennan was married on April 26, 1903,
to Miss May Durr, who was born in Milwaukee in 1873, daughter of
Emil Durr, who is mentioned on another page of this work in the
sketch of his son. Dr. W. E. Durr. To this union there have been
"born two children, Adelaide and John Emil. Mr. Brennan gives an
unswerving allegiance to the time-honored principles of the Democratic
party, but his extensive business affairs demand his attention and he
has never sought or accepted public office. His religious affiliations are
with the Roman Catholic church, and fraternally he is a member of the
American Society of Heating and Ventilating Engineers.

Arthur D. Bowyer, D. D. S., a prominent young dentist of the
Cream City, was born in Mason, Warren county, Ohio, on Sept.
22, 1875, a son °f William D. Bowyer, who was born in Mason, on
Feb. 14, 1834, and Mary Jane (Rhoades) Bowyer, born in Warren
•county on Nov. 20, 1836. The paternal grandfather, Levi Bowyer,
was a pioneer of Warren county and was one of the most prosperous
farmers of the vicinity. His widow passed away a few years ago at
the hale old age of ninety-four years and eleven months. The par-
ents still reside, and the father was born on, the farm which the grand-
father first cultivated. The maternal grandparents, Samuel and Pru-
dence (Cretors) Rhoades. formerly lived in Lebanon county, but
later removed to Warren county, and subsequently died at Arlington
Heights, near Cincinnati, ( Ihio. These grandparents celebrated before
their deaths the sixty-fourth anniversary of their marriage, at which
all of their eight children were present. Mr. and Mrs. William D.
Bowyer, Dr. Bowyer's parents, were married on Sept. 23, 1858, and
had a family of eight children, of whom six survive. Dr. Bowyer was
the seventh in order of birth of the children born to his parents. His



BIOGRAPHICAL 879

early educational advantages were received in the public schools of
Mason, and later he graduated at the high school there, lie then
went to Cincinnati, where, in 1899, he was graduated at the Cincin-
nati College of Dentistry with the degree of Doctor of Dental Sur-
gery. He first started the practice of his profession at Jackson, .Mich.,
and for two and a half years was most successfully engaged. Desiring
a larger field in which to lahor, he came to Milwaukee in 1902. and
located at 147-149 Lincoln avenue, where he has since practiced. His
thorough knowledge of his profession, his courteous manner, and
skillful handling of patients has brought him a large practice, which
has increased each year since he started in practice. Dr. Bowyer is
absolutely independent of party ties in political relations, believing
that the best standard of government is obtained by the judicious exer-
cise of the right of franchise rather than by the dictation of political
leaders. In religious matters he is identified with the Methodist Epis-
copal church, and while attending college he became a member of the
Phi Alpha Chi dental fraternity, which is the only fraternal relation he
has. On June 30, 1903, Dr. Bowyer was united in marriage to Miss
Daisy M. Tyler, a daughter of Dana L. and Elizabeth (Whitlock)
Tyler. Mr. Tyler was for man}' years one of the prominent merchants
of West Chester, Ohio, and accumulated a sufficient competence to
allow him to retire and enjoy a well-earned respite from the duties of a
busy life.

Ferdinand W. Foellings, of Hales Corners, is a native of Wis-
consin, born in the town of Muskego, Waukesha county, Aug. 24, 1865,
the son of Henry and Johanna (Voellings) Foellings, who were born
in German v in 1820 and 1829, respectively. They were among the
early settlers who braved the dangers of the frontier and endured the
hardships incident to building a home in the forests of the new ter-
ritory of Wisconsin. Henry Foellings, the father, emigrated to the
United States from the Fatherland in 1846, and upon his arrival took
up land, cleared it. and engaged in farming. He had 234 acres and
was considered one of the prosperous farmers of that day. He was
affiliated with the Democratic party and a member of the Catholic
church, in which he had been reared. Mr. Foellings met Johanna
Voellings, who, with her parents, Gerhardt and Henrietta Voellings.
came to this country with the great tide of German immigrants who
settled in Wisconsin, and located in the town of Franklin, on sixty
acres of land in 1846. The young couple soon became engaged and
were married. Mr. Foellings built a substantial home, and there. 011
the first homestead nine children were born and reared : Gerhardt,
Elizabeth, Anton, Mary. Ferdinand, Annie, Henry, Fred, and Theresa
(deceased). Henry Foellings was called on that long journey from
which no traveler even returns on Feb. 9. 1901. but his widow is still
living in the town of Franklin. Mr. Voellings lived until 1870. and
was survived by his widow until 1895. when she was called to her
last rest, after a life of devotion and loving care to her family. Ferdi-
nand, the subject of this sketch, was reared on his father's farm and
attended the parochial and district schools, and after finishing his
scholastic training assisted his father on the farm and subsequently



88o MEMOIRS OF MILWAUKEE COUNTY

engaged in farming himself, continuing in that vocation until he was
twenty-seven years of age. At that time he began to deal in stock and
carried on an extensive and successful business in that line until 1901,
when he became interested in the meat business, bought a hotel, sa-
loon, and livery, which he has since conducted with most gratifying
results. Air. Foellings owns his place of thirteen acres, where he has
a fine tavern, store, and barns, of which he is justly proud. He is a
staunch Democrat and takes an active interest in politics. On June
16, 1891, Air. Foellings was united in marriage with Susan, the daugh-
ter of Peter and Alary (Marsh) Searing, of Racine county, where the
father died in 1880. Mr. Searing was a native of Germany, born
there in 1835. the son of John and Magdelina (Frey) Searing, w T ho
immigrated to the United States and located in the town of Franklin,
Milwaukee county, in 1848. They established a home and lived there
the rest of their days. John Searing died in 1878 and was survived
by his widow until 1890. Peter Searing went to the town of Ray-
mond, Racine county, Wisconsin, where he met and married Mary
Marsh, who came to that town with her parents, Bernard and Susan
(Seman) Marsh, in 1853. Her parents lived there the remainder of
their lives. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Ferdinand
Foellings: Mary, born in December, 1892; Alexander, born in 1897;
and Irene, who is now ten years old. The family are members of the
Roman Catholic church.

John Graf is the well-known brewer of Weiss beer, at the
corner of Seventeenth and Greenfield avenues, Milwaukee. He is
of German parentage, son of Loranz and Elizabeth (Thuering)
Graf, who came to the United States from Germany in 1846. They
were natives of Bavaria, where Mr. Graf learned the business of
silk-weaving. On April 6, 1846, they arrived in Milwaukee and
have ever since made that city their home. Mr. and Mrs. Graf have
seen the city change from an unpretentious one of small buildings,
gathered together on the harbor, to the great city it is at present,
and they have always been loyal to their first home in the West,
confident of its brilliant future, which the years have already
realized. Mr. Graf was first employed by Nicholas Engel, the sur-
veyor, and later in other profitable undertakings. John Graf was
born in Milwaukee in the dwelling at the northeast corner of Elev-
enth and Chestnut streets, Feb. 27, 1853. He was educated
in the public schools of his native city, and early turned his atten-
tion to brewing. His plant, which originally employed but four
people, has now a list of sixty employes, and its product is valued
at $120,000 per annum. It requires fourteen teams and wagons in
constant use to transport the product to Mr. Graf's customers. Mr.
Graf has constantly studied improved brewing methods and keeps
himself informed on every new discovery that helps him to produce
a pleasing and healthful beverage. He also manufactures various
carbonated beverages and supplies them to a large number of con-
sumers. His business has been establishd since 1873, and the plant
lias been in successful operation during all the years since. Mr.
Graf was married in 1873 to Miss Annie Gliesburg, daughter of



BIOGRAPHICAL 88l

Henry Gliesburg, of Ozaukee county. Mr. Gliesburg was a pioneer
of that district, where he settled in 1848. He was born in Saxony,
Germany. Six children have gladdened the home of Air. Graf:
Edward G. ; Mollie, who is Mrs. Herman Heinen ; Annie; Amanda,
wife of Albert Pellman ; Clara, wife of Clifford Loew, and John,
Jr. Air. Graf belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of
Elks, the E. S. O. S. Club, the Knights of Pythias, the South Side
Turners, and the Calumet Club. He is independent in political
views, voting for the candidate who seems to him best fitted for
the office.

Wenzell Strachota, president of Strachota & Sons Company,
687 Walker street, has been a successful mason contractor in Mil-
waukee for twenty-five years, during which time he has erected
many important buildings there and elsewhere. He was born on
Dec. 30, 1847, near Bischof, Teinitz, Kreis I'ilsen. Bohemia, and
there attended German schools. He served an apprenticeship of
two years with a mason in Bohemia and came to America in 1866.
Milwaukee was his first location in the United States, and he com-
pleted his apprenticeship as a mason with John Bentley. For fif-
teen years Mr. Strachota worked for Mr. Bentley, being his fore-
man eight years, and while thus employed he superintended the
erection of the State Insane Asylum at Traverse City, Mich., upon
which he was engaged two years. In 1883 Mr. Strachota embarked
in business with Thomas Bentley, under the firm name of Bentley
& Strachota. This partnership continued three years, during which
period the firm erected many substantial edifices. They carried out
various contracts for the Lake Shore Railroad, now a part of the
Chicago & Northwestern system, and erected buildings for the rail-
road company at Sheboygan, Manitowoc, Wausau, Antigo, Ash-
land and other places. At Ashland it was necessary to hew a clear-
ing in the forest in order to erect the round-house upon which they
were engaged. From 1887 to 1905, when he took two of his sons
into his business, Mr. Strachota wa"S alone, and he was considered
one of the most reliable contractors in the city of Milwaukee. He
obtained the contracts for the building of the Boston Store on
Grand avenue, the Kroeger Department Store, the American Malt-
ing Company's plant on South Water street, the Hanson Com-
pany's malthouse at Bay View, the power-house of the Pabst Brew-
ing Company, the bottling plant for the Jung Brewing Company,
the wholesale grocery building of the Hoffman Company on Easl
Water street, Sacred Heart Sanitarium and Convent on Twenty-
second avenue, the Diamond Match building at Oshkosh, in which
Mr. Strachota's sons, George and Frank, are interested, and many
others. In 1869, Mr. Strachota was married to Miss Dorothy Nei-
nar, daughter of Adam Neinar, of Milwaukee. Four of their chil-
dren are living : George, Frank, Anna and Sophia. The family are
members of the Roman Catholic church and regular attendants
upon its services. Mr. Strachota is a Forester and a member of
the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin. He is a staunch Democrat and
represents the Eighth ward in the citv council, having served three

56



882 MEMOIRS OF MILWAUKEE COUNTY

terms as alderman from the ward previous to his election in 1908.
Mr. Strachota represents the interests of his ward conscientiously
and faithfully, and is known in all respects as a public-spirited and
enterprising citizen, whose success in his calling has been earned
by honorable methods and pains-taking work.

Elias Stollenwerk is the senior member of the old and well-
known firm of Elias Stollenwerk & Company, contractors and
builders, of 952 Aldrich street, Milwaukee. Mr. Stollenwerk has
been a successful contractor in Milwaukee and many handsome and
substantial buildings have been erected by him. He is the son
of Joseph and Mary (Schummel) Stollenwerk, both natives of the
Rhine country in Prussia, Germany. Mrs. Stollenwerk was born
in Luxemburg. Hubert Stollenwerk, father of Joseph, was a na-
tive of Prussia, and in 1846 came to America with his family. They
established themselves upon a farm in New Coeln, Milwaukee
county, and their prospects for a happy life in the new home
seemed of the brightest. The dreadful cholera epidemic of 1850
was, however, fatal to both Mr. and Mrs. Stollenwerk, and their
family of two sons and two daughters was left to carry on the
work of the farm alone. Joseph, Hubert, Annie M. (wife of John
Pfeifer) and Kate (wife of Theodore Frederich), made up the fam-
ily, all of whom are living except Mrs. Pfeifer. Joseph, the oldest
son, born in 1830, was sixteen years of age when the family came
to Milwaukee county and upon him devolved the responsibilities of
the farm upon the death of his parents. He continued to operate
the parental farm until 1890, when he retired from active business,
and has since made his home in Milwaukee. Fourteen children re-
ceived their early training upon Joseph Stollenwerk's comfortable
farm, of whom ten are living and have become prosperous citizens
of Milwaukee. Margaret is the widow of Alois Arnolds. The
others are Hubert, Elias, Nicholas, John, Katie, Joseph, Frank,
Thomas and Lena, who is the wife of August Schuster. Elias, the
subject of this sketch, was born on the farm at New Coelu, Jan.
2, 1857, attended the public schools, and at the age of sixteen years
was apprenticed to a carpenter. He worked five years as an ap-
prentice and five years as a journeyman, and in 1883 embarked in
business as a contractor and builder. His rapidly growing busi-
ness soon required him to employ a number of assistants, and in
1893 he found it expedient to take into partnership with him his
brother John, also a skilled and experienced carpenter and builder.
Their work has not been confined to Milwaukee, and many con-
spicuous edifices bear tribute to their success. The St. Louis
Roman Catholic church at Caledonia, Racine county, was erected
by the Stollenwerk firm ; also St. Bartholomew's Roman Catholic
church at Charlesburg, Fond du Lac county; St. John's Lutheran
church, at New Coelu; St. Mary's Roman Catholic church at
Marytown, Fond du Lac county; the St. Augustin church and
school in Milwaukee, and the St. Francis Hospital, Milwaukee
county. While Mr. Stollenwerk and his brother have been remark-
ably successful in their contracts for public buildings of various



BIOGRAPHICAL 883

kinds, they have also built many handsome apartment buildings
and residences. Mr. Stollenwerk was married on June 20, 1882,
to Miss Mary Loeffler, daughter of Joachim and Gertrude (Uet-
hoff) Loeffler, of Milwaukee. The marriage was blessed by nine
children, of whom seven are living: George, August, Annie, Caro-
line, Elias, Mary and Joseph. The first-born daughter, Mary Kate,
and one son, Urban, are deceased. The family are devout members
of St. Augustin Roman Catholic church. Mr. Stollenwerk belongs
to several Catholic societies: St. Peter's Society, the Knights of
St. George, the Catholic Order of Foresters, St. Anthony's Society
and also to the South Side Old Settlers' Club and the Liederfreund
Singing Society. He is a loyal Democrat and has three times been
elected alderman from his ward, serving as a member of the city
council from 1894 to 1900.

Walter P. Celichowski is the senior member of the firm of
Celichowski & Gapinski, engaged in the clothing, custom tailoring,
hats and gents' furnishings business. He was born in the province
of Posen, German Poland, June 13, 1877. He is the son of Vin-
cent and Hedwig (Ryterski) Celichowski, who immigrated to the
United States in 1886. locating in Milwaukee, where the father,
"being a mason by trade, found work with the Pabst Brewing Com-
pany. He remained with this firm one year, and died at the age
•of forty-nine, leaving a family of eight little children, as follows:
Angela ; Michalina, wife of John Malliszewski ; Casimir, member
■of the firm of Celichowski & Gapinski ; Prakseda, widow of Dom-
inic Gapinski, who was assassinated on April 3, 1908; Rev. Bron-
islaus F., pastor of St. Hedwig's Polish Roman Catholic church
of Milwaukee ; Blanche, wife of Adam Hibner ; Walter P., and
Leonora, wife of Walter Baranowski. The subject of this sketch
came to Milwaukee when nine years old. He was educated in St.
Hyacinth's parochial school and at Marquette College. He began
his business career as. a clerk with T. A. Chapman & Company, with
whom he remained three years. He was next employed as clerk
in the office of the register of deeds of Milwaukee count}" for one
year. He then served a year in the office of the state treasurer
at Madison, Wis. In 1901 he embarked in the gents' furnishing
business at the corner of Brady and Warren streets, Milwaukee,
and remained there for two years. In 1903 he embarked in busi-
ness at the corner of Third and Mitchell streets, in the clothing,
hats, and gents' furnishing goods, with Dominic Gapinski. under
the firm name of Celichowski & Gapinski, and in this line they
have been very successful. They have been located at 476-478
Mitchell street since in February, 1907. He has the leading estab-
lishment of its kind on Mitchell street and the second largest on
the South Side. Mr. Celichowski was married on Aug. 5, 1903, to
Miss Josephine, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Anton Barranowski,
pioneer Polanders of Milwaukee. By this union he has three chil-
dren : Walter, Jr., Stanislaus and Roman. He is a member of St.
Hyacinth's Polish Roman Catholic church. He is a member of
.'St. Augustyn's Benevolent Society, the Polish Association of Amer-



884 MEMOIRS OF MILWAUKEE COUNTY

ica, the Polish Sharpshooters, the Knights of Columbus, the Fra-
ternal Order of Eagles and the Catholic Order of Foresters. In
a large sense Mr. Celichowski is a self-made man and is entitled
to great credit for the success which his industry and sagacity
have brought him. He is one of the most promising young busi-
ness men of this city, and no one begrudges him his well-earned
reward.

William Henry Moore, a retired farmer of the town of Wau-



Online LibraryJerome Anthony WatrousMemoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (Volume 2) → online text (page 116 of 133)
Using the text of ebook Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (Volume 2) by Jerome Anthony Watrous active link like:
read the ebook Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (Volume 2) is obligatory.

Leave us your feedback | Links exchange | RSS feed 

Online library ebooksread.com © 2007-2014