J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 105 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 105 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


was identified with the Democratic party in
politics, and attended the Presbyterian Church.
He died September 17, 1872, and his wife died
August 26, 1879. He had married Elizabeth
Hoffman, daughter of Henry Hoffman, who
lived near Bethel, N. Y. , and to them were
born nine children: Mariette, born March i,
1824, married Warden Hiserodt, of New York
City, and died September 12, 1873; William
H., born August 25, 1825, married Cornelia
Decker, and died January 24, 1879; George,
born May 19, 1S27, married, first, Sarah Col-
lins, and, second, Mary French, and resides
in the town of Northeast, Dutchess county;
Catherine, born December 15, 1829, wife of
William McArthur, of Wisconsin; Rachel,
born December 16, 183 1, married James Col-
lins, of the town of Northeast; Leonard, born
December 14, 1834, married Henrietta Pulver,
and is now living in the same town; Anthony
H., born July 4, 1836, married, first, Emily
Sackett, and, second, Isaphene Wilkinson, and
resides in Pine Plains town; Artemas S., sub-
ject of this review; and Frederick, born May
24, 1 841, married, first, Libbie Hoysrodt, and,
second, Zada Tripp, and resides at the old
homestead in the town of Ancram, Columbia
county, which he owns, and also a half inter-
est in the old Dr. Barton homestead in the town
of Stanford. The children were lovers of mu-
sic, especially our subject, who organized a
string band, called "Barton's Band," com-
posed of his brother, uncle and others, and
playing for nearly all the public and private
parties in northern Dutchess and southern Co-
lumbia counties, from 1865 to 1880, the music
not so artistic, but the prompting excellent.

The education of our subject was such as
the district school of the neighborhood afford-
ed, and he early became familiar with the du-
ties of the agriculturist. Being a great read-
er, he has become a well-informed man, and
is posted on the current events of the day.



540



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPniCAL RECORD.



On leaving home at the age of twenty-four, he
opened a general store at Ancram Lead Mines,
which he conducted three years, and the fol-
lowing year he spent in Wisconsin and Iowa.
He was then with the \'an Ambergh show for
a year, and on returning to Pine Plains, he
worked on the railroad for the same length of
time, building fences. He was next engaged
in the commission business, dealing in coal
and hay from 1882 until 1893, when he re-
moved to his present site, buying a part of the
Clark estate, where he now carries on the
lumber trade. He has been quite successful,
and is one of the steady-going, reliable busi-
ness men of Pine Plains.

Mr. Barton has been twice married, his
first wife being Anna Rockafeller, of Columbia
county, who died in 1866. For his second
wife he chose Jane Tripp, daughter of DeWitt
Tripp, who has lived in both Pine Plains and
Northeast town, Dutchess county. Two chil-
dren grace this union, Carrie and Artie. So-
cially, Mr. Barton is prominently identified
with the Masonic order, being one of the old-
est members of Stissing Lodge No. 615, F.
& A. M., in which he has filled nearly all the
chairs. He is a stanch adherent of the Dem-
ocratic party. For three terms he served as
justice of the peace, was pathmaster two
years, and inspector of elections for a number
of years at Pine Plains; while in Ancram he
served for about three years as town clerk.
He takes an active interest in public affairs,
and earnestly supports measures for the bene-
fit of the community. He attends the Method-
ist Church.

Henry Hoffman, father of our subject's
mother, married Catherine Betesle, and lived
in .-Ancram, Columbia county. They had the
following children: Margaret, born Septem-
ber 25, 1786, married Rowland Sweet; Cath-
erine, born October 12, 178S, died young;
Eleaner, born December 28, 1790, married
Walter Dorchester; Henry J., born May 17,
'79.5. married Almyra Culver; Polly, born Au-
gust 27, 1795, niarried Jeremiah Conklin;
Catherine (2), born January 28, 1798, died
young; an infant, born in 1799; Betsey, born
May 28, 1800, married G. W. Barton; Laura,
born June 23, 1803, married Artemas Sackett;
Anthony, born September 15, 1805, married
Sally Barton. The father of this family was
born January 6, 1761, and died in 1840; the
mother was born January 6, 1762, and died in
1850.



Anthony Hoffman resided in the town of
Pine Plains, and he and his wife had four
daughters and three sons, as follows: Henry,
born December 26, 1829, married Mary A.
Strever; Sarah, born December 6, 1831, mar-
ried Herman Snyder; Leonard, born Novem-
ber 24, 1833, died January 8, 1865; Catherine,
born February 22, 1835, married J. C. Hoag;
Julia, born October 30, 1837, married Elias
Halsted; Laura, born January 20, 1840, mar-
ried Edgar Eggleston; and Anthony, born Sep-
tember 8, 1844, not married, died November
21, 1882.



E^ DWIN SUTTON (deceased) was a popu-
> lar citizen of the town of Washington,
Dutchess county, where, a leader among men,
his memory is held in reverence and honor.
Almost his entire life was passed in Dutchess
county, and by his strong force of character
and undoubted integrity he gained the confi-
dence of the people. His death, which oc-
curred September 16, 1887, left a vacancy
difficult to fill, and it was considered a severe
blow to the material and moral interests of the
township.

Mr. Sutton was a native of Brooklyn, N.
Y., born in 1836, and was a son of Abram and
Jane (Mabbett) Sutton, the former born in
Westchester county, N. Y., and the latter on
Chestnut Ridge, in the town of Washington,
Dutchess county. Shortly after their marriage
his parents removed to the farm where Hal-
cyon Hal! is now located. The paternal house-
hold included si.x children, three of whom,
however, died in infancy. The two brothers
of our subject who reached adult age were:
William H. (nowdeceased), who was a farmer
and merchant; and Franklin, who is engaged
in the insurance business in Poughkeepsie, New
York.

When but two years old Edwin Sutton was
brought by his parents to the town of Wash-
ington, where his childhood was passed, and
after finishing his education he went to New
York City, where he engaged in the retail feed
business for several years. On the death of
his father, however, he returnetl to the town
of Washington and took up farming, which he
continued until his death. In 1878 Mr. Sut-
ton married Miss Mary L. Donington, who was
born in Elizabeth, N. J., and is the daughter
of Henry and Mary (Badgley) Donington, also
natives of Elizabeth, where the father lived





C^n/^i v^^^l^^




n^



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHICAL RECORD.



541



retired. Mrs. Sutton is one of their family of
nine children. The father's death occurred
in 1 86 1, while his wife passed away in 1S87.
He was a son of Jacob Donington, also a na-
tive of Elizabeth, N. J., and of English de-
scent. On both sides of the family Mrs. Sut-
ton is descended from Revolutionary heroes,
Cornelius Badgley, her maternal great-grand-
father, having been an officer in that war, and
William Shute, her great-uncle on the father's
side, was a major in the same struggle.

After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Sutton
located at South Millbrook, where Mrs. Sut-
ton still makes her home. They became the
parents of a daughter, Carrie Donington, born
in 1S79. Our subject was an earnest Chris-
tian man, taking an active interest in religious
affairs, as an adherent of the Hicksite faith,
while his wife holds membership with the Pres-
byterian denomination. His political views
were in accordance with those of the Repub-
lican party, and for a number of years he
served as postmaster of South Millbrook, pre-
vious to which time he had been assistant
postmaster, when the office was known as
"Washington."



I IRAM H. BRIGGS, a general merchant
X^X of Hyde Park, Dutchess county, has done
much to promote the commercial activity, ad-
vance the general welfare and secure the ma-
terial development of the place. As a business
man, he is enterprising, energetic and always
abreast with the times, and has been rewarded
by success in his undertakings. He was born
in the town of Hyde Park, Dutchess county,
December 27, 1834, a son of Stephen D. and
Phcebe T. (Hewlett) Briggs.

His father was born in 1806, and was the
son of Stephen Briggs, Sr. In early life he
followed the occupation of a farmer in the
northeast part of the town of Hyde Park, and
then, after living for a time in Pleasant Val-
ley, located in the northwest portion of the
town, where he carried on the same occupa-
tion. In 1853, however, he came to Hyde
Park, where for twenty-five years he engaged
in contracting and building, which business he
followed until the day of his death, dying while
at his work. He was a man of great energy,
became a successful contractor and builder,
and was widely known throughout the county,
where he had been employed in the capacity
of mover. He was essentially a self-made



man, whose success was well deserved. In
politics he was prominently identified with the
Republican party, and served his fellow-citi-
zens as collector of Hyde Park and school
trustee. He was reared amid the Society of
Friends, and ever held to that faith. He was
married to Miss Phcebe T. Hewlett, daughter
of Samuel Hewlett, of Hyde Park, and to them
were born five children, who grew to adult
age: Hiram H., subject of this sketch; Mary
J., wife of Coster De Groff; Charlotte H.,
who married Ulrick Eshelman, of Poughkeep-
sie, but is now deceased; Sarah B., twin sister
of Charlotte, who married Samuel Gunn, and
is also deceased, and Martha C. , deceased
wife of De Witt C. Degolier, of Poughkeepsie.
The father's death occurred in 1878, but the
mother is still living.

After pursuing his studies in the district
schools of the town of Hyde Park for some
time, Hiram H. Briggs entered a boarding
school at Oswego Village, and, on completing
his education at the age of twenty years, he
was well fitted for the practical duties of life.
He had previously, however, clerked in the
store of John K. Hewlett, his maternal uncle,
for a year and a half, and later was with that
gentleman for about a year. Going to New
York City, he took a clerkship in the whole-
sale dry-goods establishment of Lewis Havi-
land & Co., where he remained for two years
and a half, and, in the spring of 1863, began
clerking for H. N. Vedder, in the store which
he now owns at Hyde Park. For seven years
he filled that position, and then for about four
months was in a grocery store in New York
City; but the following winter he was with Uhl
& Husted, of Poughkeepsie. The next year
he was again with Mr. 'Vedder, after which he
returned to New York, and was in a retail gro-
cery for three months. Later going to Dover
Plains, Dutchess county, he there remained
for two years and a half, when he entered the
employ of Mark H. [Hitchcock of Poughkeepsie,
serving in that position for four months. It
was January i, 1886, that he started in busi-
ness at Hyde Park as a general merchant, the
firm being H. H. Briggs & Co., but May 4,
1895, the partnership was dissolved, and he has
since been alone in business. He now has
the largest store in the place, and his stock is
well selected.

The record of Mr. Briggs is that of a man
who has by his own unaided efforts worked his
way upward to a position of affluence. His



542



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



life has been one of industry and perseverance,
and the systematic and honorable business
methods which he has followed have won
him the support and confidence of many.
Without aid of influence or wealth, he has risen
to a position among the most prominent busi-
ness men of the county, and his native genius
and acquired ability are the stepping-stones
on which he mounted. He is an attendant of
the Episcopal (Church; is an honored member
of Poughkeepsie Lodge No. 266, F. & A. M.;
and in political affairs'takes an active interest
in the success of the Republican party, which
he always supports by his ballot.



'ILSON B. STORM, an enterprising and
reliable business man of Stormville,
was born in the town of Beekman, Dutchess
county, June 28, 1868, and is the son of Joseph
H. Storm, a prominent citizen of the county.
His boyhood and youth were passed upon a
farm, and his education received in the district
schools. Later he was a student in the Mount
Beacon Academy, at Fishkill-on-the-Hudson,
and subsequently took a business course at the
Eastman Business College, at Poughkeepsie,
graduating with the class of 1888. On laying
aside his te.xt books he worked on the farm of
his grandfather in the town of Beekman for six
years.

On August I, I1S95, Mr. Storm began mer-
chandising at Stormville, in connection with
W. J. Storm, one of the leading business men
of the town of East Fishkill, and the owner of
the farm on which is located Storm Lake,
which is a beautiful sheet of water covering
twenty-five acres, fed by springs, and in which
many different varieties of fish abound. Upon
the east bank of the lake a creamery was erect-
ed and put in operation in April, 1896, and to
which the New England railroad has built a
side track. The business carried on by these
gentlemen has grown to e.xtensive proportions,
and they deal in Hour, feed, hardware and
agricultural implements. Since April i, 1896,
Wilson B. Storm has laid aside agricultural
pursuits, and now devotes his whole time and
attention to merchandising.

On October 24, 1895, Mr. Storm was
married to Miss Mary T. Berry, a native of the
town of East Fishkill, where her father, Edward
W. Berry, engages in farming, and to this union
has been born one child — Georgia Sheldon —



January 26, 1897. Our subject is a stanch
supporter of the Republican party, was elected
supervisor of the town of Beekman in 1894, in
which position he served for two years or until
his removal to East Fishkill, and was the young-
est member of that board. In social as well
as business circles he holds a high position,
and is a young man of more than ordinary
ability. Religiously, Mrs. Storm holds mem-
bership in the Reformed Church at Hopewell.



DAVID EDWIN COLWELL, a highly es-
teemed resident of Matteawan, Dutchess
county, is one of the favored few, who, on
reaching the ordinary limit of three-score years
and ten finds life still enjoyable, old age being
but the harvest time for their previous years
of toil. He was born in Pleasant Valley,
Dutchess county, April i, 1825, and is a de-
scendant of an old Scotch family.

His direct ancestors lived in the North of
Ireland for some generations, and his great-
grandfather was the first of the line to come to
America. He was a Protestant, and the ma-
jority of the family have been members of the
Methodist Church. Samuel Colwell, our sub-
ject's grandfather, married Mary Smith, whose
brother was a soldier in the Revolutionary
war. Their son Archibald, our subject's fath-
er, married Abigail Hall, and had eight chil-
dren: Calvin Hubbard (deceased); Louisa,
now Mrs. Reed, of Moores Mill; Archibald
L. , of Verbank; Samuel Augustus, of Peoria,
111.; David E., our subject; Julia Ann, now
Mrs. Burnett, of Connecticut; Mary L. Ack-
erman; and Sarah A. Seaman.

When David E. Colwell was six years old
his parents moved to Verbank, and at an early
age he began to work in a cotton factory there,
which was the first of its kind to be operated
in this State. In 1845 he went into the shoe
business with his brother Archibald, but in
1855 entered the service of the Fishkill Land-
ing Machine Co., and in due time became a
skilled machinist. For a short time he was
employed by the late H. N. Swift, in the man-
ufacture of lawn mowers, and then he moved
to Passaic, N. J., to take a lucrative position
with the New York Steam Engine Co. After
a few years he went to Yonkers, N. Y., and
was engaged in Waring's hat factory until his
retirement from active business. He has re-
sided at Matteawan for many years, and is a



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



543



leading member of the M. E. Church there.
On January 14, 1847, he was married to Miss
Jane A. Beach, and on January 14, 1897, they
celebrated their golden wedding anniversary,
a most joyous occasion. They have two sons,
Winfield S. and Frank W., both residents of
Matteawan.

Frank W. Colwell was born in Mattea-
wan, April 9, 1859, and after receiving an ed-
ucation in the public schools of that place,
went to Yonkers to learn the jewelry and
watchmaking business with H. F. Von Storch,
with whom he remained for more than four
years. He then worked at this trade in various
places, spending some time with the Independ-
ent Watch Co., at Fredonia, N. Y. , four years
with the Waterbury Co.. at Waterbury, Conn.,
and two years with the Cheshire Watch Co.,
of Cheshire, Conn. In 1888 he returned to
his old home and engaged in business for him-
self in a small way, beginning with one window
in a millinery store on Main street. He pros-
pered, and after seven or eight months he
moved into a more convenient store in a new
building, and has since carried on his business
there with a constantly growing patronage.
His store is fully equipped with all the modern
appliances, and a complete stock of watches,
clocks, and jewelry of all kinds. He has a
pleasant home at No. 21 Vine street, but in
January, 1895, it was darkened by the death
of his beloved wife, Carrie E. Tiel, to whom
he was married November 10, 1880. Four
children survive her: Minnie A., Jennie R.,
Frances B. and Edmund T.

Mrs. Colwell was a member of one of the
leading families of Matteawan, a granddaugh-
ter of -the late William H. Tiel, and a daughter
of J. William Tiel, a well-known hat manu-
facturer. He married a lady of English de-
scent. Miss Julia Rogers, a native of Falen-
ville, Greene Co., N. Y. , and both are still
living. Of their eight children the first two
and the last died in infancy. The others were
Dr. Arthur R. Tiel, Edson L., J. William, Jr.,
Carrie E. and Minnie A. In politics Mr. Col-
well is a Republican, and he is an active
worker in the M. E. Church, holding at pres-
ent the office of superintendent of the Sunday-
school. He is much interested in fraternal
society work, belonging to the I. O. O. F. ,
Evergreen Lodge, in which he has been a trus-
tee for six years, and to the F. & A. M., Bea-
con Lodge, having joined the Masonic order
while residing in Cheshire.



E EDWARD ANTHONY UNDERHILL, the
1^ genial and able station agent at Glenham,

Dutchess county, is also well known in busi-
ness circles in that locality, being an extensive
wholesale and retail dealer in coal. He is a
native of New Hackensack, Dutchess county,
and was born August 7, 1865. the son of Dr.
Anthony Underbill, who practiced medicine
successfully at New Hackensack for more than
forty years. Dr. Anthony Underbill first saw
the light November 12, 1818. His death oc-
curred September 4, 1889, and his wife, Char-
lotte Augusta Marvin, who was born Decem-
ber 22, 1823, survives with their six children:
Charles, George, William, Frank, Lottie, and
Edward A.

Our subject availed himself of the usual
district school advantages, and then entered
the employ of his brother William in the coal
business at Fishkill. After one year he went
to Hopewell as assistant agent at the Union
Depot for the N. Y. & N. E. R. R. and the
N. D. & C. R. R. , and remained seven years,
when he was appointed agent at Glenham for
the N. D. &C. R. R. In the same year, 1890,
he purchased the coal business there from his
brother William, and has combined the two
enterprises satisfactorily. In politics he is a
Republican.

On July 3 1, 1895, Mr. Underbill was united
in marriage with Miss Jane Edith Schubert,
daughter of Charles E. F. and Amelia W.
Schubert, and made a wedding trip to Europe.
Mr. Underbill was one of the lucky ten in a
voting contest for a tour offered by the New
York Press, standing second on the list with
23,525 votes. The Press gave its guests first
class steamer and railway tickets and hotel ac-
commodations, three meals a day being pro-
vided according to the custom of the hotel,
and every other necessary expense was liber-
ally met, including omnibuses between stations,
piers, and hotels, carriage drives to points of
interest, fees to hotel servants, railroad por-
ters, and local guides and care-takers, while
there was free transportation of the usual al-
lowance of baggage on the steamer, and fifty-
six pounds on the railways. An experienced
conductor accompanied the party, superintend-
ing the arrangements throughout, and it would
have been impossible to secure similar privi-
leges for less than $800 each. The tourists
left New York August 3, 1895, on theCunarder
" Aurania " and on August 12 arrived at Liv-
erpool, where they stopped at the " Adelphia



544



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Hotel." On the same day they went to Lon-
don and spent five days there, three being
given up to carriage drives about the city; here
they were quartered at the "Midland Grand
Hotel." They left via Harwich for Antwerp
on the evening of August 17, and arriving on
the following day, remained until the afternoon
of the 19th, when they made the trip to Brus-
sels, which occupied one hour. A carriage drive
there on the 20th gave them a view of the main
points of interest in the city, and on the 21st
they went to Rotterdam, where they remained
until the evening of the 2 2d. The next two
days were passed at the Hague, the first in an
extended carriage drive, and on the evening of
the 24th they went to Amsterdam, where the
following day, Sunday, August 25, was made a
day of rest to the travelers, fatigued by their
continuous sight seeing. An early train took
them to Cologne on the 26th, and that day was
spent in visiting the wonderful cathedral and
other places of note. On the 27th they took an
express steamer on the Rhine for Mayence,
and on the next day continued the trip by rail
to Heidelberg, and after a short stay there
they went to Strasburg by an early afternoon
train, and saw the great wonder of that city,
the Cathedral, with its world-renowned clock.
August 29, found them tii route for Paris, and
the next five days were spent there at the
"Grand Hotel," three days being devoted to
carriage drives, and on the evening of Sep-
tember 3 they started via Dieppe for London,
where they spent one day, leaving in the even-
ing for Liverpool to embark on September 5
on the Cunarder " Gallia," for Boston. They
landed there September 15, and left in the
evening by the Fall River line for New York
City, arriving at 7:30 k. m. September 16.

Mr. Underbill had purchased a home at
Glenham before his marriage, and on their re-
turn he and his wife immediately began house-
keeping. They take a prominent part in the
social life of the village, and attend the I\e-
formed Dutch Church.



SILAS E. CARD (deceased), in his life-
time a prominent citizen of Poughkeepsie,
Dutchess county, and a member of a well-
known firm of Satterlee & Card, merchant
tailors, was a native of Ancram, Columbia
Co., N. Y., born July 18, 1845, a"d ^ied
March 27, 1896.

He came of old pioneer stock, the ances-



tors of the American line being two brothers
who came from Ireland in 1600 and settled in
Rhode Island. Of their numerous descendants
many came west from time to time, following
the advancing line of civilization, and Edson
Card, our subject's grandfather, who was born
in Connecticut, became one of the early set-
tlers of Ancram, Columbia Co., N. Y., where
he was engaged in farming. He married Char-
lotte Witheral, and had nine children: Edson
(i) (deceased), Catherine, Mary (deceased),
Eton H., Emma (deceased), Sarah, Edson (2),
Charlotte, and William (deceased;.

Edson Card, our subject's father, was born
November 29, 1817, in Ancram, and was there
married to Miss Mary Miller, who was born in
1 8 14, a daughter of Silas Miller, of Copake,
Columbia county, who was of Dutch ancestry,
and followed the occupation of a farmer all his
life. They had five children: Albert M., an
attorney of New York City, who resides at
Sharon, Conn.; Silas E., our subject; Lottie
H., born in 1848, now a resident of Pleasant
Valley; Charles M., born in 1S50, also of
Pleasant Valley; George, born in 1854, an at-
torney at Poughkeepsie; and Edson, born in
1856, who was graduated from the College of
Physicians and Surgeons, New York, in 1882,
and is now a prominent physician at Lake
Mahopac, Putnam county (he married Miss
Cora Badeau, and has one son, Badeau Card).



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 105 of 183)