J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 107 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 107 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


from active life, his attention being given to
some extent to dealing in real estate. He is
the owner of several stores and other property,
and in his investments has always shown line
business judgment.

Mr. Talbot has a beautiful home at Fish-
kill-on-Hudson, on the corner of Dutchess
terrace and Verplanck avenue. His wife,
formerly Miss Elizabeth Bates, whom he mar-
ried November 9, 1868, is a daughter of Will-
iam and Mary Ann ( Rothwell ) Bates, of
Yorkshire, England. Five sons have blessed
their union, one of whom died in infancy, and
another, Frederick, at the age of twenty years.
The surviving three are: James G., a book-
keeper in New York City; William R., a law
student in the law office of J. Hervey Cook,
attorney at law, and Henry Talbot, attending
school. Mrs. Talbot is a prominent member
of St. Luke's Protestant Episcopal Church at
Matteawan, and interested in the various lines
of parish work. In politics Mr. Talbot is a
Republican, but he keeps aloof from partisan
strife, and does not seek official honors. He
belongs to the order of the Knights of Pythias
Lodge at Matteawan.



SILAS TERWILLIGER. a merchant of
Matteawan, Dutchess county, is well
known throughout the State as an able and
energetic business man, many years of success-
ful work as a contractor and builder of impor-
tant structures having established his reputa-
tion. Among other enterprises successfully
carried out by him was the building of large
tlour-mills and a cotton factory in Columbia
county, and for some time was engaged upon
the Delaware & Hudson canal, rebuilding the
" weighlock " at Eddyville, a very particular
piece of work involving the construction of the
' ' cradle " or frame, in which the boats rest
while being weighed. He also worked in the
State armory at Syracuse, N. Y. , and had a
contract from a Mr. Austin, the builder, to lay
the floors.

His family is one of the oldest and most
prominent in the town of Marbletown, Ulster
county, and his great-grandfather, Solomon
Terwilliger, was the first patriot in that town to
sign the following paper. [Copied from the
Calendarof New York Historical MSS. Revolu-
tionary papers]:



Vol. 1, Page 5.

Old Senate House, Kingston.
Goshen, Orange County, Ai-ril 29, 1775.
General A'am-iation:

Persuadefl that the salvation of the Rights and Liber-
ties of America depends under God on the firm union of
its inhabitants, in a vigorous prosecution of the measures
necessary for its safety, and convinced of the necessity of
preventing the anarchy and confusion which attend a dis-
solution of the powers of Government. We, the Freemen,
Freeholders and Inhabitants of the county of Orange,
being greatly alarmed at the avowed design of the .Min-
istry to raise a revenue in .America, and shocked by the
bloody scene now acting in the Massachusetts Bay, do in
the most solemn manner resolve never to become slaves,
and do associate under all the ties of Religion, Honor and
Love to our country, to adopt and endeavor to carry into
execution whatever measures may be recommemled by
the Continental Congress, or resolved upon by this Pro-
vincial Congress for the purpose of preserving our Con-
stitution, and opposing the e.xecution of the several arbi-
trary and oppressive acts of the British Parliament, until
a reconciliation between Great Britain and America, on
Constitutional principles (which we most ardently desire)
can be obtained; and that we will in all things follow the
advice of our respective Committees, respecting the pur-
pose aforesaid, the preservation of peace and goixi order,
and the safety of individuals and private property.

From Calendar of New York Historical MS.S. Revol-
utionary papers, Vol. 1, Page 3S, among the Associators
in Marbletown appear the names of 292, that of Solomon
Terwilliger being the very first.

Solomon Terwilliger and his wife, Helen,
(Bodly) had a son Derrick, who was a farmer
in the town of Marbletown, Ulster county, and
a soldier of the war of 18 12. He married
Margaret Krom, and had a son William, our
subject's father, who became a prominent car-
penter and builder of the same locality, fol-
lowing that occupation until a few years pre-
vious to his death. He and his wife, whose
maiden name was Nellie A. Hill, and whom
he married August 12, 1829, reared a family
of foursons: Alfred, Silas, Edgarand Jacob H.

Silas Terwilliger, our subject, was born
June 23, 1834, at Stone Ridge, Ulster county,
and after passing through the common schools
of his native town attended a select school for
two terms. At sixteen he began his business
career, learning the trade of mill-wright with
Fred Paine, of Connecticut, who took con-
tracts in all parts of the country. An appren-
ticeship of three years familiarized Mr. Ter-
williger with all the details of the trade, which
he then followed continuously until i860, fill-
ing many e.xtensive contracts with entire satis-
faction to all concerned. In 1862 he took a
contract from C. B. Morse to do the wood
work on all cotton and woolen machinery made
at the Union Iron Works at Rhinebeck, N. Y. ,
and after six years there he moved (in 1868)
to Matteawan to take charge of the pattern
shop of J. B. Schenk & Sons, with whom he



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



551



remained one year, and then entered the em-
ploy of the Matteawan Manufacturing Co. , to
superintend their building and repairs. He
spent eighteen years in this position, and was
then compelled by ill health to resign and
spend some months in recuperating. In i88S
he purchased the property in Spring street,
opposite the Union Free School, where he has
since conducted a store, enjoying a fine cus-
tom. He also owns three houses and lots in
the village, and a farm of eighty acres in the
vicinity.

On June 26, 1852, he was married to
Rachel Hasbrouck, daughter of Garrett and
Martha Hasbrouck. Her death occurred Jan-
uary 3, 1873, and Mr. Terwilliger has since
wedded Sarah E. Sutherlin, daughter of David
and Maria (Schoonmaker) VanWagenen, who
were natives of Ulster county, N. Y. Of the
two children of this union one died at the age
of seven years, and the other, Nellie A., is at
home. She and her mother are members of
the M. E. Church, but Mr. Terwilliger, who
was reared in the faith of the Reformed Dutch
Church, still inclines to that belief. Politic-
ally, he is a Democrat, and he was trustee of
the village of Matteawan for two years.



THOMAS S. JUDSON, one of the leading
business men of Matteawan, Dutchess

county, is the head of the Beacon Ice Com-
pany, the superintendent of the mechanical
goods department of the New York Rubber
Company, and a shareholder in many other
prosperous enterprises.

Mr. Judson was born in Newtown, Conn.,
September i, 1833, a son of Zenas and Fannie
(Torrence) Judson, and grandson of John Jud-
son. He is of English descent on his father's
side, of Irish origin on his mother's. His
father was for many years the proprietor of a
merchant-tailoring establishment in New York
City. Our subject is one of a family of thir-
teen children, si.x of whom are still living.
The public schools of Newtown afforded him
his only educational opportunities, and as he
grew old enough to help upon the farm his at-
tendance was limited to the winter terms. At
the age of sixteen he began to work in the
village of Sandy Hook for the New York Belting
& Packing Company, located in the town of
Newtown, and remained in their employ until
1858, when he came to Matteawan as foreman
for the New York Rubber Company. This po-



sition he held some twenty-four years, and
since 1883 he has superintended the mechan-
ical department of those works. He is now a
stockholder in the concern, and he has be-
come interested in various other business ven-
tures. For over twenty years he was the pro-
prietor of the Beacon Ice Company, now
managed by his two sons, George G. and Will-
iam H., and he is a trustee and vice-president
of the Matteawan Savings Bank, director of
the Matteawan National Bank, stockholder in
the "Holland Hotel," and trustee of the Hotel
Association. In politics he is a Republican,
and in 1S79-S0 he was collector of the town
of Fishkill; in 1881-82 was township super-
visor, and in 1887-88 he was president of the
village of Matteawan. He is a member of
Beacon Lodge No. 283, F. & A. M., and has
held the office of trustee for some 3'ears. His
sound, conservative views, so rarely found in
combination with such enterprise as he has
always displayed, make him as valued an ad-
viser and helper in public affairs as in business
concerns.

On July 30, 1854, Mr. Judson married
Eliza Glover, daughter of the late Capt. D. J.
and Pollie (Briscoe) Glover, of Newtown, Conn.
They have three children: Two sons, George
G. and William H., and one daughter, Lillian
F., married to C. E. Jaynes. The family at-
tend the M. E. Church of Matteawan, and
take an interest in its varied lines of effort.
Mr. Judson has a charming home at the cor-
ner of Sargent avenue and Wincopee street.



EMIL PARMENTER, proprietor of the
! "Mechanics Hotel" at Glenham, Dutch-
ess county, was born August 2, 185 i, at Strass-
burg, Germany. He traces his descent from
a family which has long been engaged in agri-
cultural pursuits, and his grandfather, Nicolas
Parmenter, was a farmer in the Province of
Lorraine, where he reared a family of chil-
dren, all of whom lived and died in their na-
tive land.

Nicholas Parmenter, our subject's father,
was born in Lorraine, in 1823, and followed
agriculture all his life, his death occurring in
1895. His wife, Caroline Weber, who is still
living, was a native of Strassburg and a daugh-
ter of Anthony Weber. Her grandfather Weber
lost his property during the Napoleonic wars,
and nearly lost his life. After their marriage
Nicholas and Caroline Parmenter settled in



552



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Strassburg, and eleven children were born
there, of whom our subject was the eldest:
(2) Caroline, widow of John Swing, lives in
Strassburg; (3) Lewis resides at the old home,
and is now in the employ of the government;
(4) Charles, a resident of Nancy, France, is a
master carpenter, and was sent to the World's
Fair in Chicago to superintend the installation
of certain machiner\'; (5) Magdalene remained
, in Germany; (6) Edward is engaged in the
cooper's trade in Strassburg; (7) Mary mar-
ried Xavier Vix, a restaurant-keeper at Nancy,
France, and has become thoroughly French in
speech and customs; (8) Eugene is a cooper
at Strassburg; (9) Albert is a carpenter at
Holyoke, N. Y. ; ( 10) August died when about
nine years old, and the eleventh child died in
infancy.

Emil Parmenter remained in his native place
until he reached the age of twenty-one, and
there acquired a knowledge of the mason's
trade. In 1872 he crossed the ocean, and has
since made his home at Glenham, Dutchess
county. For some time he followed his trade,
and for a few years he was engaged in the
grocery business. Six years were spent in
the wholesale ale business, and then he began
dealing in beer; but in 1884 he opened the
hotel and saloon which he has ever since con-
ducted. In 1876 he married Miss Ella Boyce,
a native of Dutchess county, and a daughter
of Robert and Sarah Boyce. Three children
have blessed their union: Emily and Ella, who
are both at home, and Louis, who died at the
age of four and one-half years.

Mr. Parmenter is a public-spirited citizen,
taking great interest in all improvements. He
has been a Democrat, but is now a Republican
in political faith. Fraternally he is a member
of the I. O. O. F. , with which order he united
in 1883.



HON. EDWARD M. GORING was born
in Manchester, England, April 20, 1828.

No citizen of the pleasant and prosperous vil-
lage of Wappingers Falls, Dutchess county, is
more deserving of notice in this Commemora-
tive Biographical Record, and none is better
known and esteemed than the gentleman
whose name introduces this sketch, and who
has spent almost his entire life in the locality
where he still makes his home.

Robert Goring, the paternal grandfather of
our subject, was born in England in 1770, and



married Jane Morris on February 4, 1802.
They had four children: John M., the father
of our subject; James, born in 1807; Thomas,
born in 1813, came to the United States and
located in Wisconsin, where he died; and Jane,
who died unmarried.

John M. Goring was the eldest of the fam-
ily, and was born in Manchester in 1804. He
learned the business of engraving to calico
printing, and followed it all his life. He mar-
ried Miss Martha Heald, who was born in
Lancashire, England, where her father was a
cotton broker. One member of the family,
James Heald, was member of Parliament from
Stockport, in that county. Nine children were
born of this union, of whom the following rec-
ord is given: Edward Morris is the subject of
this sketch; Walter H. lives in Wappingers
Falls; Mrs. Jane E. Myatt, in Bridgeport,
Conn. ; Mrs. Lucy A. Babcock, in Haverstraw,
N. Y. ; Thomas W., in Chicago; \'ictoria A.;
Martha M. and John M., Jr., of Wappingers
P"alls; Anna, died in 1852. The father of this
family came to the United States in 1832, first
locating at F'all River, and later at Boston. He
was a close friend of Alvan Clark, the maker of
the lenses for the great Lick telescope, and for
the large Yerkes telescope, of Chicago. In
1 836 Mr. Goring removed to Wappingers Falls,
where he died January 22, 1879. His wife
died April 15, 1886. He was originally a
Whig, later a Republican, and although an
active politician, he never held an office. He
was a strong advocate of temperance, and was
interested in all matters pertaining to the pub-
lic welfare.

Edward M. Goring, our subject, was only
eight years of age when his parents left Eng-
land, but had already attended school for a
time. His education was completed in the
district school at Wappingers Falls, and in
1845 he was apprenticed to the trade of en-
graving to calico printing, which he followed
from 1845 to 1S60. For the succeeding nine
years he was engaged in the coal business, and
in 1869 he was a member of the firm of Dis-
brow & Goring, iron founders; was in the real-
estate business until 1872, when he built Gor-
ing Hall and opened a drug store. In this
business he was engaged until 1890, since
which time he has retired from active business
pursuits.

In 1850 Mr. Goring married Miss Jane E.,
youngest daughter of Alexander Thomson, of
Pleasant Valley, Dutchess county. Of this






,\rv^v(?



^






>^;



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



553



union four children were born: Thomson E.,
who is superintendent of the large overall
factory of Sweet, Orr & Co., and whose sketch
immediately follows; Maria J., who mar-
ried Ashley S. Worsley, chief engineer in the
Providence Electric Light Company's works;
Prescott C, a printer; and Ada M., who died
in childhood. Mr. Goring was an Old-line
Whig, coming into the Republican ranks on
the formation of the latter party. He has
always taken a lively interest in public affairs,
and has held a number of important offices,
being collector of Fishkill town in 1862;
Deputy Collector of Internal Revenue from
1865 to 1S67; Assistant U. S. Assessor Inter-
nal Revenue from 1867 to 1871. He was
the first Republican supervisor elected in that
township in ten years, and was re-elected by a
large majority. In 1871 he was a member of
the New York Assembly, and sergeant-at-
arms of the Assembly in 1872. He was presi-
dent of the village in 1 879, and is its present po-
lice justice. In 1 8S3 he was appointed, by Presi-
dent Arthur, postmaster at Wappingers Falls,
which office he held four years. Mr. Goring
has been a trustee of the Grinnell Library for
thirty years. In local enterprises, notably the
creating oi*the town of Wappinger from the
town of Fishkill; in the incorporation of Wap-
pingers Savings Bank, and Bank of Wappin-
gers; the incorporation of Wappingers Falls as
a village; in the laying out of the new road to
New Hamburg as a public, instead of a toll,
road, as chartered by the Legislature; in the
law authorizing the erection of the $15,000
public-school building in the village, and in
other kindred enterprises, Mr. Goring was the
initiator and earnest promoter. In all these
responsible and honorable positions, he has
acquitted himself with credit to himself, and
for the best interests of the public.



T THOMSON E. GORING, eldest son of
Hon. E. M. Goring, was born at Wap-
pingers Falls, Dutchess county, September 27,
1852, and after graduating from the public
schools was for some time associated with his
father in the drug and stationery business at
Goring Hall. In 1878 he entered the employ
of Sweet, Orr & Co., who recognized his abil-
ities in 1884 in appointing him to his present
position.

Mr. Goring's abilities and kindly disposition
have won him a firm place in the regard of the



community at large, and, although his views
on the Temperance question are somewhat in
advance of the sentiment in that locality, he
received a hearty support as candidate for the
office of president of the village.

He is one of the three honorary members
of the K. of T. No. 22, St. Andrews Guild,
and is a vestryman of Zion Episcopal Church.
He is also a thirty-second degree Freemason;
a life member of the Lodge of Perfection;
Council Princes of Jerusalem; Chapter of Rose
Croix; the Consistory of New York City — the
first three named orders being also of New
York. He is also an illustrious noble of Mecca
Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., and wears a past
master's jewel presented by the brethren of
Wappingers Lodge No. 671, F. Sc A. M. , on
his retirement from his second term of office.
Mr. Goring is also a member of Poughkeepsie
Chapter No. 172, R. A. M. ; King Solomon's
Council No. 31, R. & S. M. ; and a past senior
warden of Poughkeepsie Commandery No. 43,
K. T. At the Masonic fair held in Pough-
keepsie in 1896 he was awarded a past master's
apron, which had been offered to the past mas-
ter of any lodge in Dutchess county receiving
the largest vote. Mr. Goring is also a mem-
ber of Lafayette Lodge No. 18, I. O. O. F.,
Lafayette Encampment No. 95, and Evening
Star Lodge No. 98, K. of P., all of Wap-
pingers Falls, and also belongs to the Amrita
Club of Poughkeepsie. In politics he is a
Republican. While fully recognizing his social
obligations, Mr. Goring, with all his business
cares, is not without an interest in the world of
sport and recreation, as is shown by his mem-
bership in the Dutchess County Golf Club, the
Carthage Ice Yacht Club, and the organization
known as the Long Island Wheelmen of the
City of Brooklyn. He is also a member of
L. A. W.

Mr. Goring's first wife was Miss Mary J.
Myatt, a daughter of James Myatt, of Bridge-
port, Conn. Three children were born of this
union: Myatt E., Maud A. (who died Sep-
tember 27, 1888), and Ethel M. The mother
of these passed away March 11, 1886, and
May 21, 1S94, Mr. Goring formed a second
matrimonial alliance, his bride being Miss
Martha Nelson, of Wappingers Falls. Her
father. Justice Reuben W. Nelson, was born in
New Jersey, of English stock, and her mother,
Mary A. Phillips, was a daughter of James A.
Phillips, of French ancestry.

Mr. Goring, as the able and popular sup-



554



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



erintendent of Sweet, Orr & Co. 's overall fac-
tory at Wappingers Falls, Dutchess county,
seems to have settled in a satisfactory manner
the difficult problem of maintaining the inter-
ests of his employers efficiently while establish-
ing with the workers of the establishment a
feeling of respect and esteem which eliminates
friction. His genial and generous temperament
enables him to find a way to secure discipline
without sacrificing harmony, and the affection
of the emploj'es has been evidenced by the valu-
able testimonials of their regard. A genuine
lover of the beauties of nature, he has thought-
fully striven to make the factory an inviting
place to the eye; and from spring to fall the
vine-covered buildings, with their windows and
roofs brightened by a profusion of flowering
plants, make a refreshing picture. In the
center of the factory is a court which is made
a veritable bower in the warm season, while
scattered about in the various departments
are potted plants, palms and ferns. There is
also a greenhouse containing a large collection
of plants valued for their beauty and rarity.
In this connection it is appropriate to mention
that Mr. Goring is also a member of the
Dutchess County Horticultural Society.



JOHN HENRY TIEMEYER. Among our
thrifty, energetic citizens of German birth

the subject of this biography, the well-
known proprietor of the '• Union Hotel" and
stables at Fishkill village, is a notable figure.
His untiring and well-directed energy, and wise
management, qualities so thoroughly character-
istic of his race, have won for him an enviable
success in life from a start which could scarcely
have been more discouraging.

He was born January 9, 1838, in Osna-
bruck, Hanover, Germany, where his father,
John Gerhard Henry Tiemeyer, owned a good-
si/ed farm. The mother, whose maiden name
was Drietchen Zurmellen, died when our sub-
ject was only six years old, leaving a family of
two sons and two daughters. Until the age
of fifteen, Mr. Tiemeyer enjo\'ed excellent edu-
cational advantages in the public school near
his home, but after that time he was employed
upon his father's farm. At twenty-two he
came to America, and on landing in New York
City he immediately secured a situation in a
grocery at $3.00 per month and board. Five
months later he was offered $5.00 per month
at another store, and he spent four months in



hard work there; but this employer failed, and
he received nothing for his efforts but his
board. At his next place he worked one year,
his wages being raised during that time from
$8.00 a month to $12.00, and he then found
a place where he began at $13.00 a month,
and stayed three years, receiving in the latter
part of the term $15.00 a month. His last
employer, Henry Klute, furnished him money
to engage in the grocery business for himself,
and he accordingly opened a store on Twenty-
eighth street, between Seventh and Eighth
avenues, where he continued successfully for
a year and a half. As his landlord wished to
raise his rent, Mr. Tiemeyer moved to another
store near by, having by this time saved
enough money to be independent as to his lo-
cation. About a year later, his former land-
lord having come to terms, Mr. Tiemeyer took
the building again, and carried on the two
stores. Later he opened another, and con-
ducted the three for a time until a brother-in-
law purchased one, and after a time he sold
one of the others to a cler(k who had been with
him for three years. He then took a trip to
the " Fatherland," and on his return disposed
of his last store. Having accumulated about
$5,000 he purchased the store building belong-
ing to his first landlord, and carried on busi-
ness there for some time; but as real-estate in
that locality was depreciating in value, he took
advantage of an opportunity to exchange it for
property in Kingston, N. Y. Then he en-
gaged in soap-making, and later carried on a
milk business; but after a time he moved to
College Point, and while there lost all he had
previously gained.

He had to begin life anew, and for several
years he worked at different kinds of employ-
ment; in 1880, with the help of a friend, he
bought out a saloon, where for a year and a
half he managed to make a living. In 1882
he purchased, in partnership with two others,
the fixtures and stock of a saloon on the cor-
ner of Seventy-second street and Second ave-
nue. New York City, for $8,000, with a lease
of five years at a yearly rental of $1,200.
Mr. Tiemeyer was a silent partner, and man-
aged the business, succeeding so well that two
years later he purchased the interest of one of
the active partners. As the time drew near
for a renewal of the lease, in 1887, the land-
lord raised the rent to $2,500, so Mr. Tie-
meyer bought the interest of his other partner,
and removed the business to the corner of



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



555



Eight3'-ninth street and Second avenue, where
he remained four years. In 1891 he pur-
chased his present hotel property at Fishkill,
where he now lives.

On February i, 1S68, Mr. Tiemeyer was
married to Miss Rebecca Meyer, daughter of
Franz and Elizabeth Meyer. Of eight chil-



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 107 of 183)