J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 108 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 108 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


dren born to them five are now living: Louise,
Frank Henry, John M., Rudolph and Eddie.
The other three died in childhood. Although
Mr. and Mrs. Tiemeyer are members of the
German Lutheran Church, they attend the Re-
formed Dutch Church at present, as the Lu-
therans have no organization at Fishkill. On
political questions Mr. Tiemeyer generally
gives his vote to the Democratic party, but he
is not a politician in the strict sense. He is a
member of the Knights of Honor, Empire
City Lodge No. 228.



LEWIS W. GENUNG, a prominent citizen
and leading business man of the town of

East Fishkill, Dutchess county, conducting a
general store at Johnsville, was born February
20, 1843, at Swartout, in the town of Wap-
pinger, Dutchess county, and comes from one
of the good old families of the community,
which is probably of French origin. His pa-
ternal grandfather, after his marriage, located
upon a farm in the town of Fishkill, where he
reared his three sons: Adrian, the father of
our subject; Joseph, a farmer of the town of
East Fishkill; and Benjamin, a farmer of
Wayne county. New York.

In the town of Fishkill Adrian Genung was
born, and on attaining to man's estate was
united in marriage with Miss Susan Boice,
whose birth occurred in the town of Wappin-
ger, Dutchess county. Her father, Isaac Boice,
was also a native of Dutchess county, and a
carpenter by occupation. After their marriage
the young couple located at Swartoutville,
where the father engaged in merchandising for
many years, but later in life turned his atten-
tion to agricultural pursuits, dying upon his
farm in East Fishkill town in 1S80. He was
a man of the strictest integrity, and a Demo-
crat in political sentiment. His wife passed
away in 1 88 5. Of the seven children born to
them, four died in infancy, and Ella is also
now deceased; Adriana married Willet Pierce,
a butcher; Lewis W. completes the family.

Our subject's early life was spent at Swart-
outville, and after finishing his education he



engaged in teaching for about ten years, prin-
cipally in the town of Lagrange, Dutchess
county. In February, 1866, he married Miss
Mary E. Pierce, who was born at Johnsville,
and is a daughter of Caleb Pierce, a native of
East Fishkill, and a farmer and butcher by
occupation. For three years after their mar-
riage they continued to live at Johnsville, but
at the end of that time removed to Lagrange
town, where Mr. Genung followed the pro-
fession of school teaching. Returning to Johns-
ville in 1878, he opened his present store,
which he has since successfully conducted, and
as a business man is straightforward and hon-
orable in all his dealings. Two children have
been born to Mr. and Mrs. Genung: Fred L.,
who assists his father in the store; and Grace
E. Politically, our subject is identified with
the Republican party, and was appointed post-
master at Johnsville shortly after the close of
the Civil war, which position he has held al-
most continuously since; he is also notary pub-
lic. He is a most highly esteemed citizen.



ENJAMIN F. TREEN, a prominent citi-

\) zen of the town of Fishkill, Dutchess

county, and superintendent of the e.xtensive
straw works, was born in Wallace, Nova
Scotia, March 27, 1848.

His ancestors came from England at an
early period, and his great-grandfather, Jo-
seph Treen, and his grandparents, Joseph and
Mary Treen, were residents of Nova Scotia.
His father. William Treen, married Mary
a daughter of Benjamin Cook, and had six
children: Joseph, Benjamin F., Edward,
Ellen, Elizabeth and Mary Jane. William
Treen was a prominent ship builder, and often
sailed as captain of one of his vessels. He
was lost at sea in 1855, his brig, the "Mary
Jane," being wrecked off the coast of Nova
Scotia.

Benjamin F. Treen received his early edu-
cation in the public schools of his native place,
and at the age of fifteen entered the employ of
Thomas Flynn to learn to make tine custom
boots and shoes. After working at this trade
for five years, he came to the United States
and found employment at Holliston, Mass.,
with Peter R. Johnson, a boot and shoe manu-
facturer, for whom he worked one year. For
the next ten years he was engaged in clerking
for Timothy Daniels in the retail grocery and
dry-goods business, and he then became inter-



556



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



ested in the manufacture of straw goods, and
worked three years with D. C. Mowrey & Co.,
learning the details of hat making. This done,
he became superintendent of B. H. Spaulding's
straw hat factory at Milford, Mass., and two
years later he came to Matteawan to take
charge of the plant of the Matteawan Manu-
facturing Co. He resigned this position after
seven years to accept a similar one with W.
H. Mase, but in two years he returned to the
former company, with which he has since been
connected as superintendent. He is now a
stockholder and the secretary of the company,
of which Leonard M. Hills and Frank E.
Whitman, of .\mherst, Mass., are the princi-
pal members.

On December 20, 1876, Mr. Treen married
Miss Ida Frances Blake, daughter of Johnson
R. and Abbie S. (Gunnj Blake, of Greenwich,
N. Y. . and has two daughters, Marion Louise
and Emma Gertrude. The family attend the
Presbyterian Church, and take a generous in-
terest in various philanthropic movements. In
politics Mr. Treen is a Republican, and he is
at present a member of the board of educa-
tion. He is a member of the Matteawan Club,
andiof the Masonic order, Beacon Lodge No.
283, F. & A. M., Matteawan; Highland Chap-
ter No. 52, R. A. M., Newburg; Hudson River
Commandery No. 35, K. T., Newburg, and
Mecca Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., New York
City.



BENJAMIN \V. \AN WYCK, a prominent
, citizen of Poughkeepsie, and senior part-
ner of the firm of \'an Wyck & Collins, which
owns the extensive marble and granite works
at Nos. 175 and 177 Main street, was born Oc-
tober 27, 1S35, in the town of Pleasant Valley,
Dutchess county.

Theodorus Yan Wyck, great-grandfather
of our subject, was one of three brothers who
emigrated from Holland, and, coming to the
United States, settled on a farm at Jamaica,
Queens county. Long Island. There they
were all married, and two of the brothers,
John and .\bram, remained and reared their
families: Theodorus \'an Wyck settled at Hemp-
stead, Uueens county. Long Island, and there
Samuel, grandfather of Benjamin, was born.
He married Katura Sammis, who was born in
that locality, and in 1792 came to Pleasant
Valley, Dutchess county, settling on a farm.
A family of six children were born to this couple,



of which the following names are given:
Charles, Walter. Cornelia and Betsey. Sam-
uel \'an Wyck followed farming during his life,
and was a soldier in the Revolutionary war.
He and his wife were members of the Presby-
terian Church.

Charles \'an Wyck, father of our subject,
was born in 1S06, in Pleasant \'alley. He
was married in 1822 to Miss Eliza Rugar, who
was of Dutch descent, and was born in Pleas-
ant \'alley. Five children were born of this
union: Mary E. is the wife of Henry M.
Owen, a farmer in Pleasant \'alley; Lewis C.
is a machinist at Newburg; Amelia died in
1858; Benjamin W. is our subject; Martha
died in infancy. The father was a machinist,
and worked in the mill at Pleasant \'alley.
He was a Whig in politics, and both parents
were members of the Presbyterian Church.
He was very domestic in his tastes, fond of
his home and family, and highly respected by
all who knew him. He died May 15, 1838;
his wife died July 9, 1896, at the advanced age
of about eighty-seven years.

Benjamin W. \"an Wyck, our subject, ob-
tained his early education in the schools of his
native village, and when old enough began
learning the trade of a marble-cutter at Fish-
kill. Later he went to Glens Falls, where he
perfected himself in the business, and in 1S60
finished his schooling at the Oswego Institute.
He then went into the marble business at
Pleasant Valley; but had hardly more than
made a beginning when the Civil war broke
out, and he felt it his duty to rally to the de-
fense of the Union. On September 4, 1862,
he enlisted in Company D, i2Sth N. Y. I.,
and served throughout the war, being dis-
charged July 12. 1865. He was with Banks
on the Red River (La.) campaign, and with
Sheridan during the Shenandoah Valley cam-
paign, also in the battle at Cedar Creek, where
he had a narrow escape from death, and was
in other important engagements. On his re-
turn from the war he took up his residence in
Poughkeepsie, where he worked for a tmie in
the marble works of Haxby & Miller. In April,
1867, he bought the interest of Mr. Haxby,
the firm then becoming Miller & Van Wyck.
This partnership lasted until the death of Mr.
Miller in 1878, and for the succeeding three
years Mr. \'an Wyck had sole control of the
business. In 18S1 he sold a half interest to
Mr Collins, and the present firm of Van Wyck
& Collins was organized.



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



bol



In the extensive works owned by this firm
all kinds of marble work is done, such as in-
terior work in buildings, vault linings, wains-
coting and flooring, table and buffet tops, as
well as monuments. Mr. Van Wyck was the
first dealer in this part of the State to intro-
duce granite work to supersede that of marble,
in this line, and they are well equipped with
steam machinery, etc. , to turn out very fine
specimens, both in design and workmanship.
They also keep on hand all kinds of encaustic
tiles, grates, fireplaces and brass goods for the
same. They buy stock in the rough, and cut
and polish to suit their trade. Their steam
plant and other accessories have been twice
enlarged so that they have now one of the
best manufactories in the State, and turn out
superior work in everj^ line of their business.
The integrity and fair dealing of the firm is
well known, and it has a high reputation in
business circles.

Mr. Van W\xk was married October 1 1 ,
1865, to Miss Mary L. , daughter of Alfred C.
Van Vlack, of the town of Unionvale. Her
father, generally known as Major Van Vlack,
is of Dutch descent and a miller by occupa-
tion. No children have been born to this
union. Mr. and Mrs. \'an Wyck are members
of the First Reformed Dutch Church, and are
highly esteemed by all who know them. Our
subject is a Republican, but has never con-
sented to hold office. He is public-spirited, a
loyal citizen, and always ready to assist in
worthy enterprises. He is a member of the
F. & k. M. and the G. A. R.



EDWARD EVERETT HAVEN'S, a well-
known dealer in groceries and provisions

on Main street, Fishkill-on-Hudson, Dutchess
county, is one of the leading business men of
that town, and is noted not only for prudence
and sagacity in that enterprise, but for the
energy which carries his plans to successful
completion.

He was a native of the beautiful village in
which he now resides. His father, Joseph
F. Havens, was born in Xew London, Conn.,
and he and his wife, Katherine O'Shaugh-
nessy, are still living. Of their twelve chil-
dren, eleven survive, the eldest being now
about forty years of age, and the youngest
seventeen. Their names are: Rhodolphus
Augustave: Joseph Francis; Edward Everett,
our subject; Catherine, who died in infancy;



May 21, 1885, died
Wilson, born April i,
28, 1858, died April



Adella, William, James Henr}-, Maryette,
Sandford Wilson, Lewis H., Herman and
Walter.

The paternal grandparents of Edward Ev-
erett were Silas and Maryette ' Griffin 1 Ha-
vens. The former was born February 4, 1794,
and died January 20, 1857; the latter was
born December 6, 1809, and died April 18,
1884. They had twelve children, whose fam-
ily history is as follows: (i) Silas Nathaniel
Havens, born March 2, 1S27, married Arabella
Smith February 24, 1858; no children. (2)
Sabroh Angeline, born April 7, 1829, married
Samuel Beckwith March 15, 1853; nine chil-
dren — Fannie Maryette, who was born Octo-
ber 3, 1855 (married Jerome Munger January
I, 1882, and has two children, ^Iina Estella,
born July 23, 1883, and Emma May, born
^ray 4, 1 886 1 ; ' Wilbur
1857; Albert, born April
4, 1886; Flora Elvira,
born September 4, 1862; Emery Mel vin, born
January 7, 1864; Angle Alida, born April 27,
1865; Effie May, born June 4, 1867; Emma
Estelle, born April 12, 1869, died June 12,
1884; Edna Luella, born November 12, 1870.

(3) Cynthia Margett, born February i, 1831,
married March 2, 1849, Nathaniel B. Crocker,
who died Jul}' 3, 1864; five children — Nelson
Steadman, born May 27, 1851, died Septem-
ber 24, 185 1 ; Allen Wilson, born February 1 1,
1853, died September 6, 1853; Alfred Walter,
born February 1 1, 1853, died August 12, 1853;
Ella Maryette, born August 27, 1855, married
Edmund Smith May 7, 1873, and has one
child, Millie Smith, born October i, 1874 (Ella
Maryette was again married, this time February
8. 1885, to .\rthur Baker); and Perry Willis,
born March 2, i860, died January 26, 1861.

(4) Sanford Wilson, born March 5, 1833, mar-
ried October 8, 1857, Laura Ellen Gallup;
one child — Walter Louis, born December 29,
1 86 1. '5) Joseph Francis, born April 26,
1835, married Katherine O'Shaughnessy, Au-
gust 5, 1855; twelve children— Rhodolphus
Augustave, born June 24, 1856 (married Ella
Corcan, November 25, 1877, and has three
children, Katie A., born December i, 1S78;
Ella, born October 15, 1879, died September
5, 1 881; and Mary G. , born November 25,
1882); Joseph Francis, Jr., born March i,
1858, married Jennie Benedict, May 9, 1883;
Edward Everett, whose sketch appears below;
Katie, born June 5, 1862, died July 6, 1864;
Adella, born June 25, 1864, married to Philip



558



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Knapp, May 12, 1883; William S., born May
21, 1866; James Henrj-, born March 7, 1868;
Sandford \V., born December 12, 1869; Mar-
gelta, born August 26, 1870; Lewis H., born
January 12, 1873; Herman, born August 5,
1875; Walter Lee, born May 21, 1876. (6)
Nelson Monroe, born November 12, 1837,
married Mary A. Luce, December 14, 1862;
two children — Jennie Marian, born June 5,
1868, died April 21, 1869; and James Luce,
born August 25, 1871. (7) Melissa Jane, born
October 22, 1840, married William F. Beck-
with, March 17, 1858; two children — Elmer
Leslie, born April 16, 1866; and Elsie Melissa,
born November 12, 1874. (8) Alfred Word-
ing, born October 29, 1842, married Mary B.
Chapman, May i, 1872; one child — Willis
Monroe, born May 17, 1875. (9) Sophia
Amelia, born December 4, 1844, married
James \'alentine Luce, December 30, i860.

(10) Terrie Florella, born May 18, 1847, mar-
ried James \'alentine Luce, December 2, 1883;
one child — Laura Sophia, born May 12, 1885.

(11) Wilbur Edson, born October 29, 1849,
married Lottie Rosella Jordan, November 25,
1875 ; three children — Arthur Edson, born
September 26, 1876; Florence Rosella, born
March 13, 1878; and Edith Gertrude, born
November 16, 1879. (12) Herman Edgar,
born February 8, 1854, married Jessie Fre-
mont Beebe, February 7, 1882; one child —
Myrtle Sophia, born December 23, 1882.

Edward Everett Havens, the subject of our
sketch, was born February 9, 1861, and was
educated in the public schools of Fishkill. On
leaving school at about the age of fourteen, he
secured a situation as clerk in the grocery store
of K. H. Delaney, in the town of Beekman.
He remained there three years, and then went
to work in the A. T. Stewart mill at Glenham,
and during the three or four years spent there
learned several different trades connected with
the manufacture of woolen cloth. After leav-
ing this place he entered the employ of Rev.
Father McSweegan, in Matteawan, and for
about a year worked on church improvements,
and the next four years were spent witfi James
A. Murray, a carpenter and builder. In Oc-
tober, 1886, the business in which he is now
engaged was founded, beginning in the build-
ing next door to his present establishment,
which he erected in 1892.

Mr. Havens' partner in life's joys and sor-
rows was Miss Mary C. McCarroll, a daughter
of Robert and Mary McCarroll. Thej' have



four children: John E., Mary A., Robert
Francis, and James Herman. They are mem-
bers of the Roman Catholic Church at Fish-
kill.

In politics Mr. Havens is a Democrat, and
he has been the candidate of his party for
commissioner of the poor, and also for trustee
of the village. As the town is generally Re-
publican, and as the years in which he led the
forlorn hope exceptionally unfavorable for the
Democratic party, he was defeated. He is a
member of Dutchess Council C. B. L., and is
at present its treasurer. He is also a member
of the Catholic Knights of America, member
No. 49120, of the Catholic Benevolent Society,
and of Court O.ueen of the Hudson No. 81 19,
A. O. F. of A."



FRANK M. EDMOND is one of the most
able and enterprising young business men

of Matteawan, Dutchess county, the inventor
of a wire-spring support for upholstered chairs
and car seats, which promises well, his patent
having been obtained and a company formed
for the manufacture and sale of the appliance,
with Ross Judson, president, Samuel K. Phil-
lips, secretary and treasurer, and Mr. Edmond,
as superintendent. No one who knows Mr.
Edmond will fail to wish him well in this new
undertaking, as his courageous and energetic
efforts during past business reverses have won
universal admiration and good will.

He is a son of the late William Romain
Edmond, who for over twenty years was a
stockholder in the Matteawan Hat Manufac-
turing Co. , and the foreman of its extensive
works. He was a native of Windham, Greene
Co., N. Y., and went to Matteawan at the
time the late Lewis Tompkins and the Mase
brothers began their investments in the hat
business at that place. He died of paralysis
July 10, 1889, his wife, formerly Mary E.
Bump, and six sons surviving him. Our sub-
ject is one of eight children: George; Addie,
who died in childhood ; Nelson ; William ; Frank
M. ; James; Horace; and Lucius, who died in
early youth.

Frank M. Edmond was born February 18,
1863, and resided at Matteawan throughout
his early life, attending the public schools until
the age of twenty, and later working in a
straw-hat factory. After six or seven years in
that emploj'meot he eng;aged in the furniture
business at Fishkill Landing in partnership



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



559



with Mr. Otto Deicke, one of the best uphol-
sterers and carriage trimmers to be found on
the Hudson. This partnership was terminated
four years later by the death of Mr. Deicke;
but his interest was taken by his son Herman
and the firm continued for another year under
the same style of Deicke & Edmond. The
business had prospered, and the firm was
carrying at this time a full line of household
goods, including stoves and ranges, but their
trade was largely "on time", and when the
business depression came and their customers
were unable to meet their obligations, the firm
was forced to discontinue. Mr. Edmond was
thus compelled to make a new start in life, but
he had his tools and an abundant supply of
"pure grit", which in combination with his
trained alwlities were a sufficient capital. In
1891 he began work in repairing bicycles and
upholstering furniture, and his success enabled
him to open a shop of his own in Matteawan
on Main street, under the ''Dibble House",
in the spring of 1896. He also holds the
agency for a fine line of bicycles, and is at pres-
ent the manager of Scharbauer & Sargent's
Bicycle Manufacturing and Repair Shops.

On June 4, 1890, Mr. Edmond married
Miss Emma Deicke, a daughter of his former
partner. Otto Deicke, and his wife, Marie
Deicke. X^^y have two children, Romain and
Bertha, and reside in a pleasant home on
Washington avenue, Matteawan. Both attend
the Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Edmond is
a member of the I. O. O. F., Evergreen Lodge,
Matteawan. He has always voted the Demo-
cratic ticket.



|ANIEL H. MONKS, a well-known resi-
jy? dent of Fishkill, Dutchess county, was
born August 19, 1858, in Dublin, Ireland. His
family has been prominent in that city for
many years, and his father, the late William
Monks, a native of the place and a man of in-
dependent means, passed the. greater part of
his life there. With his wife, Anna ( Murphy),
and their family, he came to America to spend
his last years, and his death occurred in the
town of New Windsor, Orange Co., N. Y. He
took a keen interest in all the questions of the
day, and especially in political problems, his
sympathies being with the Democratic party.
In religious faith he was a Roman Catholic, as
is his estimable wife, who survives him.

Of their seven children, the eldest, James,



gave his life for his adopted country, dying in
Andersonville prison in the latter part of 1864.
He enlisted first in the i6Sth N. Y. V. I., and,
after receiving an honorable discharge at the
end of two years' service, he re-enlisted, this
time in the i 5th N. Y. Cav. He was captured
three times, and the cruel hardships of the
historic stockade at Andersonville finally proved
too much for his gallant spirit and once strong
and healthy frame. The other members of
the family were: Margaret (deceased), for-
merly the wife of James A. Dunn, an under-
taker at Newburgh, N. Y.; Mary, wife of Nich-
olas Lee, of Newburgh; John, a liquor dealer
in the same city; Daniel H., our subject;
Fannie, wife of Robert Greening, of New
Windsor, N. Y. ; and Anna (deceased).

D. H. Monks was but a child when his
parents came to this country, and his youth
was spent mainly in Newburgh. He learned
the business of molding iron and brass, which
he followed for some time; but in 1889 he en-
gaged in the retail liquor business at Fishkill
Landing. Since 1890 he has carried on a
wholesale trade, making a specialty of How-
ard & Child's beer.

Mr. Monks was married, in 1886, to Miss
Elizabeth Smith, of Fishkill Landing, a daugh-
ter of James Smith, whose ancestors came
originally from the Emerald Isle. No chil-
dren were born of this union. In politics Mr.
Monks is a Democrat, and he is a prominent
member of St. John's Roman Catholic Church
at Fishkill.



LEXANDER HAMILTON DUDLEY.

\^ The Dudley family is of English origin,
and the branch to which the subject of this
sketch belongs traces its lineage to Lord Guil-
ford Dudley and his wife. Lady Jane Gre}-.
The first of the line to come to America left
Leicestershire, England, at a very early period,
and located in New England, where his de-
scendants have been prominent in various
walks of life, some having been Governors of
States.

Asael Dudley, our subject's grandfather,
married Hannah Woodhouse. He died May
31, 1830, in the eighty-second year of his age,
and his wife on December 16, 183 1, at the
age of eighty-three. Their son, Joseph S.
Dudley, our subject's father, was born in Wil-
ton, Conn., in 1786, and died September 16,
1865. He was a tanner and currier by trade,



5G0



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



and owned a tannery at Hughsonville. His
wife, Betsey (Cole), was a daughter of William
Cole, of Wilton, Conn. She was born in
1790, and died January lo, 1855. Of their
nine children only two survive. John died in
infancy; William S. in 1867; Harriet in 1891;
John G. on April 24, 1867; Charles H., born
October 24, 1823, and died September 17,
1850; Joseph H. is still living; George W., born
May 21, 1828, died January 23, 1848; Alex-
ander H.is the subject of this sketch; Hannah
M. died October 14, 1869.

Alexander Hamilton Dudley was born April
24, 1830, in the town of Peekskill, Westches-
ter Co., N. Y. , and was educated in the
district schools of that locality, and at Wilton
Academy, \\'ilton. Conn., where he remained
one year. On leaving school he went to New
York City and engaged in the business of buy-
ing and tearing down old buildings, and sell-
ing the materials. His office was located on
23rd street, between Fifth and Sixth avenues.
In 1864, after eighteen years in this business,
he moved to Brinckerhoff, Dutchess county,
and purchased the Starr gristmill, which he
has conducted ever since. The water privi-
leges on this property are excellent as he has
never been obliged to shut down during the
driest season. There is an interesting history
connected with the mill also, as it stands upon
the site of one which was burned by the Hes-
sians during the Revolutionary war, and was
built, by order of Gen. Washington, by a de-
tail of soldiers belonging to the Colonial forces.



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 108 of 183)