J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 115 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 115 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


After his death the grandmother received a
pension. Farming was his life work, and both
he and his wife were members of the Presby-
terian Church. In their family were ten chil-
dren: Sarah, who became the wife of William
Holmes, a farmer of the town of Lagrange;
Maria, deceased; George, father of our sub-
ject; Ale.xander, formerly a farmer, now living
in Hyde Park; William A., who was a farmer
and milk dealer, but is now deceased; Henry,
an agriculturist in the town of Hyde Park;
Hiram, a deceased farmer; John, a farmer in
the town of Hyde Park; Alfred, an agricultur-
ist of Kansas; and one who died in infancy.

George Van De Water was born April
29, 1821, in the town of Hyde Park,
where, on his father's farm, he spent his
boyhood days. He married Elizabeth Phillips,
a native of Poughkeepsie, and a daughter of
M. D. L. F. Phillips, who was named for Gen.
La Fayette, a friend of the family. The an-
cestry of the Phillips family is English. Upon
their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Van De Water
located upon a farm in Pleasant Valley, where
he has now made his home for fifty-one years,
devoting his energies e.xclusivel}" to agricultural
pursuits. He gives his political support to the
Republican party, and has served as assessor.
Both he and his wife are consistent Presbyte-
rians. Of their family of seven children,
Lavina died in infancy, William is the next
younger; Marquis P. is a farmer of Pleasant
Valley; Wilson A. was married, and both he
and his wife were killed bj' a train in 1890;
Jennie M. died at the age of nineteen years;
Carrie is the wife of Israel D. Marshall, a
farmer of Hyde Park; and Elizabeth is the
wife of Charles Ambler, a merchant of Stissing,
Dutchess county.

William \'an De Water, whose name in-
troduces this review, was born on his father's
farm, in the town, of Pleasant Valley, June 4,
1846, and to farm work devoted his energies
in the summer months, while in the winter he
attended the district school of the neighbor-
hood, completing his education in the Colum-



bia County Academy, at Claverack. Subse-
quently he went to New York City, and en-
tered upon his business career as a salesman
for the firm of Lord & Taylor. He was mar-
ried September 4, 1867, to Caroline E. Ganse,
who was born at Wappingers Falls, a daugh-
ter of Henry Ganse, a farmer who was of Hol-
land lineage. After his marriage, Mr. \'an-
De Water located upon a farm in the town of
Pleasant \'alley, where he lived until 1881,
and then embarked in the milling business at
Salt Point, which he continued for five years.
On the expiration of that period he purchased
his present farm of 122 acres, and is now en-
gaged in the cultivation of his land. He has
placed many improvements upon his farm, and
his progressive methods and well-directed ef-
forts class him among the leading agriculturists
of the county.

Mr. Van De Water gives his political sup-
port to the Republican party, and both he and
his wife are members of the Presbyterian
Church. They are parents of five children:
Rosilla M., svife of Harry A. Russell, a farmer
of the town of Pleasant \'alley; Cora A., wife
of William H. Allen, a farmer, and the presi-
dent of the Salt Point Creamery Co. ; George
H., who was killed by the kick of a horse, in
North Dakota, in 1891; and Casper G. and
Ethel M., at home.



MRS. MARY J. WOODIN. TheWoodin
__ family, which has been identified with

the town of Pawling, Dutchess county, from
early times, traces its origin to three brothers,
Amos, John and Daniel Woodin, who came
from England during the Revolutionary war
as soldiers in the service of the British gov-
ernment. When the struggle for freedom was
ended they settled here — Amos locating in the
town of Pawling, Dutchess county; John on
Huckleberry Mountain; and Daniel in Ansonia,
Connecticut.

Amos ^^'oodin married Lucretia Miller,
and had six children: Solomon; Joel; DanieP
(who married Mary Pierce); Henry (who re-
mained single;; Hyal (who married Betsy
Turner), and Esther (who married John
Brownell). Solomon Woodin was born in the
town of Pawling, in 1780, and his education
was obtained there in the schools of that time.
He married Miss Annie Prosser, daughter of
Dr. Prosser's sister. Thirteen children were
born to them, of whom all married but one,



592



COMJUEMOSATirE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



their names, together with those of their re-
spective partners in matrimony, being as fol-
lows: Ransom — Charlotte Brairtain; Esther —
Jarvis T. Sweet; Sallie — Duncan Mead: Ira —
Caroline W^oodin; Chauncey, who never mar-
ried; Milton — Malonie Lawrence; Federal —
Maria Brazee; Benjamin — Esther Brownell;
Amos — Naomi Griffin: Egbert — Mary Miller;
Henrj' L. — Laura Armstrong; Ruth — John
Willard; and Lucretia — Peter Brazee.

Henry L. Woodin was born in the town of
Pawling, in iSi6, and on finishing his course
in the schools there he became a collier, which
occupation he followed some forty years; he
is now engaged in farming. He and his wife
have had four children: Ransom married Ma-
rinda Beers; Amelia is the wife of George
Squires; Solomon married Alice Wilcox; and
Coleman married first) Elizabeth Sprague,
and (second I Ida Ett.

D.\NiEL T. Woodin, the son of Daniel
Woodin-', was born in the town of Pawling,
in 1812, and was reared at the old farm, at-
tending school in the neighborhood. He learned
the cooper's trade, and followed it for some
3-ear5, and later engaging in farming. Ha\'ing
an active mind with a legal bent, he also prac-
ticed law for some time. His wife, Mrs. Mary
J. (Clump I Woodin, is a lady of unusual men-
tal force and ability, and the descendant of one
of the old families of the town of Poughkeepsie.
They have had four children: ( i) Isabelle was
born and educated in the town of Pawling,
and is now the wife of Prof. Edward T. Pierce,
principal of the State Normal School at Los
Angeles, Cal.; they have had three children —
Ethel Elbora; Harold, who died in infancy;
and Hilda Bell, who died when two j-ears old.
(2) Daniel W. Woodin, Jr., was born in the
town of Pawling, and, since he completed his
studies in the schools there, has been engaged
in farming. (3) Arvine was born at the old
homestead, in 1855, ^^^ ''^^ f^he others ob-
tained her education in the local schools.
("4) Gertrude B. died at an early age.

Mrs. Woodin's maternal grandfather, Sam-
uel Lucky, was born and reared in Poughkeep-
sie, and in manhood became a successful
farmer. By his first wife. Miss Rebecca Wil-
sey, he had six children: Samuel, Thomas,
James, Robert, John, and Jane, Mrs. Woodin's
mother, who was a native of the town of
Poughkeepsie, and was reared at the old home
there. She married Cornelius Clump, and
had eight children, of whom Mrs. Woodin is



the youngest. Rebecca married James Mar-
tin; Gertrude married (first) Charles Hoffman,
and (second) James Benson; John L. married
Celia A. Tompkins; Sam married Eliza Phil-
lips; Peter died in infancy; Almira is the wife
of Walter Shader; and Joanna married George
De La \'ergne.



FRANK B. LOWN was born at the village
of Red Hook, Dutchess Co., N. Y. . on
the first day of January, 1849. He is the son
of David and Jane M. Lown, and with his par-
ents removed to the city of Poughkeepsie in
1857, where he has since resided.

Mr. Lown was educated in the public
schools of the city of Poughkeepsie. and in
1 87 1 entered the law office of Nelson & Baker
as a law student. After being admitted to the
bar, he became a clerk in the office of Thomp-
son & Weeks, then the oldest firm of practi-
tioners in the county. In 1S78, the firm of
Thompson, Weeks & Lown was formed, and
upon the death of James H. Weeks in 1887,
and of John Thompson in 1S91, Mr. Lown be-
came the sole survivor. He is still engaged in
the practice of his profession in the city of
Poughkeepsie.



LEWIS B. BARTON, proprietor of the
•• Amenia House, " at Amenia, Dutchess

county, comes of a well-known and honora-
ble family that has long been connected with
the professional and business interests of the
county. Dr. Lewis Barton, his great-grand-
father, was one of the early residents and suc-
cessful practitioners of the town of Stanford,
where he served as assessor in 1793, that being
the first town meeting held in the town of Stan-
ford in the house of Ephraim Paine. The
farm owned by him in that township is still in
the possession of the family. He died in
18 1 3, at the asre of eighty-nine years.

Dr. Leonard Barton, the grandfather, was
born there in 1769, and he also devoted his
life to the practice of medicine in the town of
Stanford, where he owned a large farm, and
was a prominent and influential citizen, hold-
ing several important offices. As early as 1 797
he served as town clerk, and was supervisor
of his township in I SiS, 1819, 1S20, 1829 and
1830. His political support was given the De-
mocracy, and socialh" he affiliated with the
Masonic fraternity. He was twice married.



,:(■'■■:


.'^^eBhH^^L.'^






^fl


^^^^^^H^^if. ^^^^^Slflfif'




E' Ti




COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



593



his first wife being Miss Thompson, and to
them was born a son, John. After her death
he wedded Rachel Gale, and they had ten
children: George; James; Eliachim; Edward
P., of New Milford, Conn.; Josiah L. ; Julia,
who married Morgan Hunting; Rachel, who
married Stephen Sackett; Nancy, who mar-
ried John Davis; Nelson, who died in 1852;
and Sarah, who married Anthony Hoffman.
All are now deceased with the exception of
Edward P. ; Dr. Leonard Barton deceased in
1 84 1, at the age of seventy-two years.

Josiah L. Barton, the father of our sub-
ject, was born August i, 18 16, in the town of
Stanford, and acquired an excellent education
at the Nine Partners Boarding School, in Wash-
ington township, Dutchess county, after which
he began the study of medicine, but later
gave it up. In 1S44 he married Miss Annor
Eliza Briggs, who was born in the town of
Clinton, Dutchess county, March 29, 1822, a
daughter of Enoch Briggs. They became the
parents of three children, of whom our sub-
ject is the eldest; (2) Arzelia is the wife of
Bryant Strever, of Ancram, N. Y. , by whom
she has one son, Henry; (3) Julius L. , of Mil-
lerton, Dutchess county, married Annie Pul-
ver, and they had two children, Ethel (de-
ceased) and Harry. After his marriage the
father removed to Ancram Lead Mines, Co-
lumbia Co., N. Y., where he engaged in farm-
ing from 1844 until 1849, and then removed to
the village of Ancram Lead Mines. There he
conducted a hotel until the spring of 1854, when
he came to Pulvers Corners in the town of
Pine Plains, Dutchess county, and carried on
the same business for a year. In the spring
of 1S55 he removed to Dover Plains, where
he ran the "Stone Church Hotel " for the
same length of time. Going to Ancram he
lived there until 1863, when he returned to
Ancram Lead Mines, where his death occurred
in 1866, and as he was a member of Warren
Lodge, F. & A. M., he was buried with Ma-
sonic honors. He was also connected with
the I. O. O. F. at Pine Plains. He died Feb-
ruary 20, 1866, at the age of forty-nine years,
six months and twenty days, and at the time
he was serving as collector at Ancram.

Lewis Briggs Barton, whose name intro-
duces this sketch, was born in the town of
Ancram, Columbia Co., N. Y., August 5, 1846,
and during his early years accompanied his
parents on their various removals, attending
school at Ancram Lead Mines, Pulvers Cor-

38



ners and Dover Plains. On leaving the par-
ental roof he went to Lithgow, in the town of
Washington, where he carried on fanning un-
til 1871. On November 15 of that year he
was there married to Miss Mary Anna Tomp-
kins, daughter of Enoch Tompkins. He then
engaged at Lithgow in the butchering business
with Cyrus Hammond for two years, after
which he followed the same line of trade at
Wassaic, N. Y. From 1873 until 1876 he
conducted the "Wassaic House." In the
spring of 1880 he removed to Amenia, where
he has since had charge of the "Amenia
House," which was opened for guests in 1852.
It is conveniently arranged and well furnished,
and in all its appointments, under its present
excellent management, a first-class hotel, and
is well patronized. Mr. Barton holds mem-
bership with the Hotel Men's Mutual Benefit
Association, also the New York State Hotel
Association, and since 1868 has been connect-
ed with the Masonic order, joining Sheko-
meko Lodge No. 458, F. & A. M., at Mab-
bettsville, now located at Washington Hollow,
Dutchess county. He makes a genial, popu-
lar host, and as a private citizen stands de-
servedly high in the estimation of his fellow-
men.



CORNELIUS WINNE GRIFFEN, the
well-known member of the firm of Griffen
Brothers, proprietors of the Union Mills at
Leedsville, Dutchess county, was born in New
York City, March 11, 1 8 56. He belongs to
an old and prominent family of Dutchess
county, his grandfather, Bartholomew Griffen,
who w-as a blacksmith by trade, having been a
resident of Unionvale. He married Sarah
Filkins, by whom he had eight children,
namely: Bartholomew (deceased); George;
Cornelius (deceased); Alonzo; Mary; Carohne
(deceased); Jane Ann; and Timothy S., the
father of our subject.

The birth of the last named occurred in the
town of Unionvale, Dutchess county, July 19,
181 1, and until thirteen years of age he there
spent his boyhood. He then entered the old
Red Mill, near Pawling, where he learned the
milling business, which he subsequently fol-
lowed at Verbank, Dutchess county. At that
place he wedded Mary LeRoy, daughter of
John LeRoy, and to them were born three
children: Charles E. , of Wassaic, Dutchess
county; Catherine M., of New York City; and



594



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Frances, of Colorado. About 1837 Timothy
S. Griffen removed to South Amenia, where
he conducted a mill for about three years,
after which he returned to \'erbank for a short
time, and in 1842 moved to Leedsville, here
running a mill on shares for nine years. In
185 1 he went to New York City, where he was
engaged in the grocery and meat-market busi-
ness until March, 1857, when he removed to
Salisbury, Conn., there operating the Long
Pond mills until 1861, in the spring of which
year he returned to South Amenia. He then
conducted the Weebotuck mills until the
spring of 1877, when he again brought his
family to Leedsville, where his death occurred
June 10, 1885. He was strictly a self-made
man, honest and industrious, and in politics a
supporter of the Republican party, while so-
cially he belonged to the L O. O. F. at Sharon,
Conn., and religiously was a member of the
Episcopal Church at Amenia Union.

For his second wife, Timothy S. Grif?en
married Miss Helen Beach, by whom he had
two children: John and Helen. At Schodack,
State of New York, he was subsequently united
in marriage with Lydia Ann Winne, and they
became the parents of eight children: William
A. (deceased); George A., of Leedsville; Frank
P., of Chicago, 111.; Cornelius Winne, of this
sketch; Mary A., wife of Charles E. Still, of
Wassaic, Dutchess county; Alon^o D. (de-
ceased); Peter A., of Leedsville; and Ida S.

In 1877 our subject began the milling busi-
ness at Leedsville, and two years later took
his brother, George A., as a partner. In
March, 1886, they purchased the mill property
which they still own, and in the fall of 1887
admitted their younger brother, Peter A., as a
member of the firm, which then assumed the
firm style of Griffen Brothers. They are man-
ufacturers of and dealers in Hour, feed, grain,
etc., and also buy and sell hams, shoulders,
pork, lard and butter. In connection with
their other business they in 1893 established a
grocery store, which they have since success-
fully conducted. They are wide-awake, ener-
getic business men, and success has come to
them as a just reward for their labor.

At Amenia, December 23, 1886, Cornelius
W. Griffen was married to Miss Georgiana
Palmer, daughter of Hiram Palmer, and four
children have blessed their union: Clarence
P., Harry Stephen, Elsie Alide and Joel C.
The cause of education has ever found in Mr.
Griffen an earnest advocate and supporter; for



four successive terms he has been the efficient
trustee of his school district, and is now (1897)
serving his fifth term. His life is a living il-
lustration of what ability, energy and force of
character can accomplish, and while promot-
ing his own interests he has materially ad-
vanced the welfare of the community.



DANIEL VAN DE BOGAKT, a prominent
resident of Ked Hook, Dutchess county,
and one of the leading contractors and builders
of that region, is a descendant of one of our
most distinguished pioneer families.

The great-great-grandfather of our subject
was Myndert \'an De Bogart, who in 1702,
with his brother. Jacobus, emigrated from
Amsterdam, Holland, and settled on the site of
Poughkeepsie. They acquired a large tract of
land and built one of the first eleven houses in
that city. Jacobus \'an De Bogart was one of
the first sheriffs of Dutchess county, in 1726.
The two brothers. Jacobus and Myndert, gave
the land and contributed liberally to the first
church in the village, which was to be a Re-
formed Dutch meeting-house. In 171 5 Jaco-
bus \'an De Bogart leased land to the county
for a court house and jail, and in 1734 it was
made a count)' seat. Myndert was in 1744
married to Gretchert Kipp, daughter of Jacob
and Engellge Pells. Myndert \'an De Bogart,
Jr., was married in 1765 to Miss Hanna \'elie.
Peter, son of Myndert Van De Bogart, was
married in 1807 to Mary Maria Wilco.x.

James Van De Bogart, our subject's father,
was a lifelong resident of Poughkeepsie, re-
ceiving his education there, and afterward fol-
lowing the trade of mason. He married Miss
Mary Ann Windover, of the same city, and had
se\en children: James K., who died in in-
fancy, Ellen, Lydia Ann, Daniel, Eugene,
James and Harriet.

Daniel Van De Bogart was born De-
cember 25, 1849, and, after availing himself
of the excellent educational advantages offered
in the schools of Poughkeepsie, he learned the
mason's trade with William Sague, a promi-
nent mason of that city. For a few years he
worked as a journeyman and then went into
business for himself at Verbank, and met with
such success that he looked about for a wider
field for operations. In 1873 he moved to
Red Hook, and since that time he has erected
many of the finest structures in that and other
towns. Among the most notable are the two



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHICAL RECORD.



595



elegant residences at Summit, N. J., built for
Miss Donaldson and Mrs. Bronson; St. Paul's
Lutheran Church of Red Hook: the Methodist
Church at Red Hook, erected in 1S93; the
beautiful mansion of Johnston Livingston on
the banks of the Hudson at Tivoli; several
charitable institutions built by Gen. John
Watts De Peyster; the De Peyster Memorial
Church at Tivoli, erected in 1S92; the St.
Paul's Training School; the Hospital for Con-
sumptives at Verbank, in 1894-95; ^"d the
anne.x to the Leak & Watts Orphan House at
Yonkers, N. Y. , 1S96. These and other sub-
stantial and artistic buildings will stand for
ages to come as a monument to his skill and
ability.

On September 3, 1873, Mr. Van De Bo-
gart was married to Miss Estella Pulver, a
daughter of Louis Pulver, a prosperous farmer
of Red Hook. Of this union eight chil-
dren were born: Allard A. March i, 1875;
Mary, April 28, 1877; Ediia, October 30,
1879; li)aniel, March 19, 1882; Ernest.
July 17, 1884; Lucinda, May 9, 1887;
Ralph, November 7, 1S89; and ^faynard J.,
April 17, 1892. In all local movements our
subject takes an influential part on the side of
progress, and he has found time to fill credit-
ably several ofBcial positions, having been col-
lector of the town of Red Hook, and one of
the trustees of the village, when it was incor-
porated in 1894. In 1893 he received the
nomination for supervisor of the town of Red
Hook. He has been a member of the I. O. O.
F., for man\' years but is not at present active
in the order.



GEORGE C. SMITH, superintendent of
one of the most important departments
in the extensive works of the Xew York Rub-
ber Companj-, and a prominent resident of
Fishkill-on-Hudson, was born January 8, 1840,
at Shrub Oak, \\'estchester Co., N. Y., of
English descent.

Leonard Smith, his father, son of Jacob
Smith, and a well-to-do farmer of Westchester
county, was born in 1806, and married Mary
A. Carpenter, who was born April 13, 1814, a
daughter of Walter and Nancy (Somerbell)
Carpenter. Ten children were born of this
union, of whom eight lived to adult age:
George C, Ferdinand, Leonard, Lewis, Theo-
dore, William, Lauretta, and Mary I. (who
married Charles E. Martin, a grocer of Fish-



father of these died
mother on March 16,



kill-on-Hudson). The
January 21, 1868; the
1869.

George C. Smith attended the district
schools at Shrub Oak in early boyhood, and
then pursued a wider ccurse of study in the
public schools of Peekskill, and the well-known
academy of the same town. When he at-
tained the age of seventeen he left home to
make his own way in the world, and, going to
Brooklyn, he secured employment in a gro-
cery and feed store, owned by George & Alfred
Wallace. With them he remained two years,
and then came to Fishkill Landing, where he was
emplo)'ed by William Teller & Co. until 1861.
in which year he entered the service of the
New York Rubber Company. He began as a
day hand, but so efficient and capable did he
prove that he was promoted, from time to
time, until he was appointed to the responsi-
ble position of superintendent of the hollow-
goods department, which employs 130 men,
boys and girls, the entire plant containing in
all about 250 employes. This honorable rec-
ord of continuous service speaks more elo-
quently of his essential trustworthiness than
could any words, and Mr. Smith, who is a
stockholder of the company, is, as may well
be imagined, a valued worker in other business
enterprises, being a stockholder and director
in the Holland Hotel Company, and for twenty
years past a trustee of the Mechanics Savings
Bank, of Fishkill-on-Hudson. He takes a
prominent part in local politics, also being an
ardent supporter of the Republican party. In
1875 he was elected trustee of the village, and
has since held that office almost continuously.
In 1895 he was elected president of the vil-
lage; in March, 1896, was again chosen to
that office, and also in 1897. For a number
of years he was a member of the 21st Regi-
ment New York State Militia, which was called
out during the Civil war, and served thirty
days at Baltimore. Socially he is affiliated
with Beacon Lodge No. 283, F. & A. M.

Mr. Smith has a pleasant home overlook-
ing the Hudson river and the city of Newburg,
where he owns two large lots opposite his resi-
dence. His wife, whom he married in August,
1 86 1, was formerly Miss Elsie M. Bishop,
daughter of Miles and Cynthia (Ives) Bishop,
of Woodbury, Conn. Her ancestors were
early settlers in New England, and one was a
soldier in the Revolutionary war; her father
served in the war of 1S12. Mr. and Mrs.



51)(5



COM.VE.VOIi A TIVE BIOORAPBICAL RECORD.



Smith are members of the Reformed Church.
They have one son, Walter A. Smith, who is
at home.



WARRENS. DIBBLE, one of the substan-
tial business men of Matteawan, Dutch-
ess county, is the proprietor of the popular
hotel known as the "Dibble House," and also
of the Dibble Opera House, a favorite place
of amusement for the best people of that town.

His great-grandfather, Jonathan Dibble,
was a soldier in the Revolutionary army. His
grandparents were Seth and Diana (Sherwood i
Dibble, and his father was the late Augustus
N. Dibble, a well-known farmer of Litchfield
county, Conn., who was born February 20,
1 8 1 1 . He married Henrietta Morgan, and they
reared a family of three children, of whom our
subject is the eldest; Mary E. is the wife of
Robert Cooley, of Albany, N. Y. ; and Belle
married William Daly, Waterbury, Connecti-
cut.

Warren S. Dibble was born July 1 1, 1S42, at
Cornwall, where the schools afforded excellent
educational advantages, of which Mr. Dibble
availed himself, attending the public schools
for some years, and later the Adelphi Institute.
After his graduating, in 1858, he taught for
several years in different places, and then went
"on the road" as an auctioneer. A few years
later he engaged in the hotel business, first at
Cornwall, Conn., and then at Pine Plains, N.



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 115 of 183)