J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 116 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

Y. , and in 1877 he purchased his present hotel
at Matteawan. then known as the Jaycox
property. This he has greatly improved,
making additions from time to time until it now
contains seventy-five rooms; and he has also
built a commodious stable. In 1886 he erected
the Dibble Opera House, which he is at present
managing, and is furnishing a high class of
entertainment to an appreciative public. He
has also built several tenement houses which
he rents. Genial in manner, but possessing
keen discrimination in financial matters, Mr.
Dibble holds the confidence of the people in an
unusual degree. He is a Republican, politically,
but is not an active worker in the party.

On April 11, 1870, Mr. Dibble married
Miss Jane Stoddard, daughter of Jasper and
Sophia (Hubbard) Stoddard. She is a member
of the Baptist Church. They have one daughter,
Daisy M., a young lady of tine social gifts,
who attends the Episcopal Church, and takes
an active part in various charitable enterprises.



JOHN FLANNERY. The "Flannery
House ' at Fishkill Landing is one of the
finest and best managed hostelries in that
locality, and its genial proprietor, the subject
of this sketch, has demonstrated his business
sagacity in his liberal j'et judicious expendi-
tures, in its building and equipment. When
he purchased the property, in 1878, it was
simply a marshy lot with an old shanty upon
it, but as its location near the dock made it
especially suitable for his purposes, he secured
it at a cost of $10,000, and he has since spent
$25,000 in the improvements which he has
made from time to time.

Mr. Flannery was born March 25, 1S49, in
Dublin, Ireland, but his father, Patrick Flan-
nery, a native of the same place, was for some
years a farmer in County Tipperary before
coming to America. Our subject's mother,
whose maiden name was Katie Moore, was
also a native of Dublin, and her death occurred
there in 1S54. Of their four children, our
subject was the youngest, (i) James died at
the age of four years; (2) Patrick E., who
served as a soldier throughout the Civil war,
is now a successful hotel-keeper at St. Paul,
Minn.; and (3) Mary is the wife of Michael
Ormand, a wealthy resident of Hastings, Minn.
The father, Patrick Flannery, married a sec-
ond wife, and for some time after his arrival
in America lived upon a farm at Goshen, N.
Y. He is now living in retirement, having
sold the place to our subject. In religion he
is a devout Catholic, and he has been an ad-
herent of the Democratic party ever since he
came to this country.

As John Flannery was but a child when he
made the trip across the Atlantic, his boyhood
was mainly spent at Goshen, where he re-
ceived his elementary education. He also at-
tended school at Campbell Hall, Orange coun-
ty, and in Poughkeepsie. His first venture in
the business world was at Goshen, where, when
a mere boy, he conducted a hotel, and in seven
months made $12,000, a remarkable beginning.
He continued in the hotel business for two
years, and then spent one year in rest and
recreation, after which he went to Poughkeep-
sie, as mentioned, and studied for a year.
Resuming business, he conducted a hotel at
Newburg for three years, and then bought one
in the country, in Orange county, which he
sold after two years, returning to Newburg
and continuing in business there for three
years. In 1S76 he moved to Fishkill Land-



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



597



ing, leasing the old " Myer's Hotel," near the
depot, where he remained until he established
his present place. Since taking up that enter-
prise he has purchased a wholesale liquor busi-
ness in Newburg, and he is also interested in
thoroughbred horses, having owned many val-
uable trotters. He is highly respected, and
has always been noted for his liberality in po-
litical, educational or philanthropical move-
ments which appeal to his judgment, and es-
pecially to the Catholic Church, of which he
is a member. In politics he is a Democrat,
and his influence in the organization is widely
recognized.

In 1867 Mr. Flannery married his first
wife. Miss Mary Groody, of Binghamton, N.
Y., a daughter of John Groody, a well-known
brewer of ale. Three children were born of
this union: John, Jr. , who died at the age of
eighteen; William, who died at twenty-four;
and Katie, the wife of Daniel Glinn, of New-
burg. Mrs. Mary Flannery died at Fishkill
Landing, in 1892, and on October 17, 1894,
our subject was married to Miss Margaret J.
Faulkner, an Episcopalian, the ceremony being
performed in the Catholic Church, by Father
T. F. Kelly. One son, John G., brightens
their home.

Mrs. Flannery is a native of Newburg, where
she was born May i, 1870. Her family orig-
inated in England, but her great-grandfather,
who was a major in the English army, settled
in the North of Ireland, in County Antrim,
where her grandfather, Richard Faulkner, was
born, and is still living at an advanced age,
having passed his life there as an extensive
agriculturist. He is a strict Episcopalian, and
a generous contributor to various charities.
He married Margaret Ewing, who was of
Irish descent, and had the following children
John and Jane, twins, who died in infancy
Richard (i) deceased; John H. ; James (i)
Mary, wife of James Weir, of Ireland; George,
a well-to-do farmer there; Robert H., a police
captain at Derry, Ireland; Elizabeth, wife of
James Walters, of Ireland; William, a success-
ful farmer at the old homestead; Margaret,
deceased, formerly the wife of John Nesbitt,
principal of a school at Randallstown; Richard
{2), and James (2).

John H. Faulkner was reared in the old
country, attending school at Seymour Bridge,
and in early manhood engaged in the grocery
business at Belfast. On June 25, 1867, he
wedded Miss Agnes Colville, who was born



August 5, 1844, at Ballymena, County Antrim,
Ireland, daughter of Hugh Colville, and grand-
daughter of Alexander Colville. Her mother,
Jane (Gordon), was also born there, and both
families were among the old residents of the
town. Mr. Faulkner continued in business in
Belfast about three years after his marriage,
and in 1870 he and his wife came to Newburg,
where he became a salesman in a wholesale
liquor store. It was not long before he had
acquired a sufficient acquaintance with his
new surroundings to warrant him in opening a
similar establishment on his own account, and
he has ever since been engaged in the business.
In 1880 he removed to Matteawan, but later he
transferred his interests to Fishkill Landing,
where he has remained. Eleven children were
born to Mr. and Mrs. Faulkner, as follows:
Agnes and Jennie, who died in infancy; Robert
C. , who graduated from the School of Phar-
macy in New York City, and is now a druggist
at Cornwall, N. Y. ; Margaret J. (Mrs. Flan-
nery); Martha, a graduate of De Garmo Insti-
tute, who is at home; Richard, a publisher in
New York City, and a member of the Seventy-
first regiment, N. Y. N. G. ; Esther, who died
in infancy; John G. and Esther (2), who are
at home; Agnes, deceased, and another child
who died in infancy.



FRANCIS TI MONEY, a wealthy brick man-
ufacturer of Dutchess Junction, Dutchess

county, is one of those business men whose in-
dustry and enterprise seem limitless, their ac-
tivity in varied lines of work appearing to be
an easy and natural exercise'of their inborn
capacity for organization.

Mr. Timoney was born August 4, 1829, in
County Fermanagh, Ireland, and is the third
of his name. His grandfather, Francis Tim-
oney (i), married Winifred Gallagher, and
their son, Francis Timoney (2) ( our subject's
father), married Abbie Duffy, by whom he had
eight children: Dennis, Patrick, James,
Francis, John, Winifred, Mary and Bridget.
The common schools of his native land did
not afford Mr. Timoney the advantages that
he needed, and he was partly educated by pri-
vate tutors. At the age of twenty-three he
came to America, and located at \'erplanck's
Point, Westchester county, where he found
employment in the brick yard of S. M. Dyke-
man. After three years he was put in charge
of the yard as foreman, and held that position



598



COMMEMOUA TIVE BIOGRAPUICAL RECORD.



for two years, when he began to work on
shares, Mr. Dykeman furnishing the plant,
horses, carts, and implements, and Mr. Tim-
oney supplying the labor and feeding the
horses. This arrangement lasted two years,
and then Mr. Timoney purchased a half inter-
est in the business, and four years later he
bought the other half and continued the busi-
ness alone until iS86, when he purchased his
present property at Dutchess Junction at a
cost of $42,000. There was at the time one
yard in working order, and he has since fitted
up two others, expending from $50,000 to
$75,000 upon his improvements. He now has
three yards which he would not hesitate to
compare with any on the Hudson. He can
turn out a quarter of a million brick per day,
and his daily expenditure for labor alone is
from $300 to $500. He owns two barges
which he uses to convey his brick to market,
most of which is disposed of in New York City.
For twent}' years past he has been a promi-
nent member of the Brick Exchange in that
city, and his thirty-seven years of continuous
work in brick manufacture has made him au-
thority on all points relating to the business.
But his success in this line of effort has not
prevented him from engaging in others, and
while at Verplanck's Point he carried on a gro-
cery and dry-goods store for over eighteen
years, the butcher business for two years, and
the coal business for four years. Since com-
ing to Dutchess Junction he has devoted his
attention to his main line of business, but he
takes an active interest in the Matteawan Na-
tional Bank, in which he is a stockholder and
director.

In politics Mr. Timoney is a Democrat, and
while living at Verplanck's Point he was for
two years a member of the board of auditors
of Cortland township; but his business interests
have prevented him from taking a very active
part in political affairs.

On July 6, 1S55, he married Miss Margaret
Reed, daughter of John and Margaret (McKil-
lup) Reed, and they have had eleven children,
four of whom died in infancy. Their eldest
child, Mary Ann, is the wife of John C. Mc-
Namara, a commission merchant of New York
City, formerly a resident of Fulton, N. Y., but
now living at Fishkill Landing. Francis A.,
one of the leading young business men of
Dutchess Junction, is a brick manufacturer,
merchant, and at present the postmaster there,
having been appointed in January, 1894. He



married Miss Margaret Grady, of Fishkill
Landing. Five younger children — Theresa,
Susie, John, James and Clara — are still at
home. The family are members of the Roman
Catholic Church.



ROBERT P. L.AWSON, a wealthy iisher-
man and real-estate holder of New Ham-
burg, Dutchess county, was born in that village
about seventy years ago. His ancestors came
originally from Holland, and the family is one
of the oldest in the county.

Cornelius Lawson, our subject's grand-
father, was born in Dutchess county, and fol-
lowed the occupation of farming all his life.
He reared a large family of children, among
whom was Cornelius Lawson (2), our subject's
father, who passed the greater part of his life
in the village of New Hamburg, where he en-
gaged in the occupation of lime burning. He
married .Miss Amy Lawson, a native of that
village, and reared a family of five children, of
whom our subject (the third son) is now the
only survivor. Jeremiah and Cornelius were
boatmen on the Hudson; John was a farmer of
Dutchess county; and Ann, the youngest child,
married Moses Sensabal, now deceased. The
parents passed away many years ago.

Robert P. Lawson has spent his entire life
at New Hamburg, and has secured a fine com-
petence, being the owner of a valuable property
in the village, and his industry and thrift have
won for him the high esteem of his associates.
In 1 85 5 he married Miss .^nn Orbson, a native
of Ulster county, who died in 1S93, leaving no
children. In politics Mr. Lawson is a Demo-
crat, as was his father before him, and he has
never wavered in his devotion to the principles
of his party.



A



LONZO S. WTLTSE, a well-known citi-

zen of Fishkill-on-Hudson, Dutchess

.county, proprietor of a grocery located on the
corner of Main and Ferry streets and South
avenue, is descended on both sides of the
family from old Holland-Dutch ancestry.

His father, the late Benjamin Wiltse, was
born May 4, 1799. and became a farmer in
the town of Fishkill. He married Margaret
Ann Tidd, who was born December 22, 1801,
and had eight children: Jane, Annis, Cath-
erine, Margaret, Peter, Charles, Cyrus and
Alonzo S. Of this family, our subject and



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



599



three daughters are the only survivors. The
father died January i, iSSi, and the mother
on January 9, 186S.

Alonzo S. Wiltse was born at the old
homestead in the town of Fishkill, April 24,
1840, and was educated in the district schools
of the neighborhood, his attendance, after he
reached the age of twelve, being limited to the
winter terms as his help was needed in sum-
mer in the work on the farm. At nineteen he
began his business career at Fishkill-on-
Hudson as a clerk for S. G. & J. T. Smith,
dealers in dry goods and groceries, with whom
he spent six years. He then entered the em-
ploy of the Newburg, Dutchess and Connecti-
cut R. R. Co., taking charge of the buildings
and bridges alcng the entire line. This po-
sition he held until iSSo, when he received
the appointment to the post of engineer at
Sing Sing Prison, which he held eight years.
In 1 888 he resigned and returned to Fishkill,^-
on-Hudson, where he established his pres-
ent business, in which he has met with well-
deserved success.

Mr. Wiltse married Miss Mary E. Benson,
a descendant of one of the prominent families
of Highland, Ulster county,' and the daughter
of Capt. John Benson and his wife.Priscilla H.
Benson. Two children were born of this union:
Charles B., who has been for some time a
train dispatcher on the X. D. & C. R. R. ,
and Carrie L., a successful teacher in the pub-
lic schools of Fishkill. The family attend the
Methodist Episcopal Church of Fishkill Land-
ing. In politics Mr. Wiltse has always been
a steadfast Republican; socially, he is a mem-
ber of Beacon Lodge No. 2S3, F. & A. M.



I



BRAHAM BRETT was a descendant of
yjL one of our oldest families. His pater-
nal great-grandfather, George Brett, married
Hannah Cooper; their son, Francis G. Brett,
married Margaret Camel, and their son, Har-
vey Brett, married Susan Coleman, and had
three sons: Wesley, Abraham and Charles
Fletcher, and one daughter — Emma — who
died in her seventh year. Abraham Brett was
born in Matteawan February i, 1843, and
died April 13, 1893. He attended the schools
of the village and the Tarrytown Institute for
some years, and then entered Claverack Col-
lege, Claverack, Columbia county. After
graduation he at once began a mercantile ca-
reer, spending two years as a clerk for Mr.



Wells in a general store at Highland Falls,
N. Y. , and then went to Newburgh. to enter
the employ of Isaac Wood, at that time a
prominent dry-goods merchant there. After
one year he returned to Matteawan, and
clerked for David Davis in his general store,
which was long known as the "old Matteawan
store." The building has since been torn
down and replaced by the Music Hall build-
ing, now occupied by S. G. and J. T. Smith
as a dry-goods store. After learning the de-
tails of mercantile business, Mr. Brett opened
an establishment of his own August i, 1865,
the first e.xclusive dry-goods store in the town,
and about a year later his brother, Charles F.
Brett, was taken into partnership, under the
firm name of A. & C. F. Brett. The first lo-
cation was in what was known as the Mechan-
ics Hall building, and from there they moved
to the Phillips building, and remained until
1876, w^hen they went to a store which they
had just completed, next to the Howland Li-
brary building. Here the business is still car-
ried on, C. F. Brett conducting it since his
brother's death, and retaining the same firm
name. In politics the late Abraham Brett
was a Republi/;an, and in religion a Methodist,
being an active member of the Church. In
1863 he married Jane, a daughter of Solomon
and Elizabeth Randall Tompkins. They had
three children: Albert \'., Emma S. and
Harvey, Jr.



GEORGE SILVERS, a retired clothing
merchant and hotel proprietor, of Pough-
keepsie, Dutchess county, was born October
3, 1824, in Hanover, Germany, where he grew
to manhood and learned the tailoring business.
Mr. Sievers was united in marriage with
Miss Louisa Frese, who was also born in Han-
over, and was a daughter of Henry Frese.
They were married in Hanover September 19,
1847, and directly thereafter came to America,
locatmg in Albany, where our subject follow-ed
his trade for three years. He and his wife
then came to Poughkeepsie, and have since
remained here. Mr. Sievers worked at his
trade for a year, and then went into the cloth-
ing business, his store being located at No. 282
Main street, where he remained until 1861,
and then started a hotel on the corner of
Bridge and Main streets, carrying on at the
same time a liquor business, until 1870, since
which time he has been retired. The follow-



600



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPniCAL RECORD.



ing children have been born to Mr. and Mrs.
Sievers: Susie, who became the wife of Charles
Achuster, a butcher, and died in 1884; Charles
died at the age of twelve years; Louisa mar-
ried Dr. Harper, of Cambridge, who is de-
ceased; Anna married Bonocio B. Llensa, and
they own a plantation in Porto Rico; Jeraldine
is the wife of Dr. John P. Wilson.

When President Lincoln called for volun-
teers in 1863, Mr. Sievers answered the call,
and was appointed lieutenant of Company G,
N. Y. S. M. He is a member of the Masonic
order, and, with his wife, attends the German
Lutheran Church. He is a fine German citi-
zen, one who has helped to promote mat-
ters of public interest in Poughkeepsie. He
possesses considerable real estate, and is one
of the leading men of the city.

Our subject's father. Christian Sievers, was
born in England, learned the tailoring business
and followed it all his life. He married Miss
Dora Tilke, a native of Hanover, and the fol-
lowing children were born to them: Christian,
Henry and Carl, tailors by trade, who died in
Germany; Dora, who died unmarried; and
George, our subject. The father died in 1838
and the mother in 1S31. Xhe grandfather
was a French Huguenot, born in France.



THOMAS G. NICHOLS (deceased), the
founder of T/ic Sunday Courier, of
Poughkeepsie, now owned and edited by
Arthur G. Tobey, was born in Boston, Mass.,
January 8, 1827. While he was quite young
his parents removed to Poughkeepsie, N. Y.,
where he attended the common schools, and
then commenced an apprenticeship to the
printer's trade. Soon after his apprenticeship
ended he opened a job-printing office, the first
one in Poughkeepsie. In May. 1852, in part-
nership with John H. Bush mow also de-
ceased), under the name of Nichols & Bush,
he started the first daily paper published in
the city, which was called The City Press ;
but in 1858 it was sold to Albert S. Pease, who
changed its name to T/ic Daily Press. Mr.
Nichols then gave his attention to job print-
ing, and continued exclusively in that line un-
til 1868, when with the assistance of George
Innis and others he established another daily
paper called The Morning Nen's, which soon
became quite popular. Receiving a favorable
offer, however, from Hegeman & Wilbur, Mr.
Nichols sold the paper to them, and they



changed its name to The Poughkee/'sic Xei^'s.
Subsequently J. O. Whitehouse purchased the
paper, and for a year or two Mr. Nichols re-
mained looking out for a good opportunity to
enter anew the field of journalism. The fav-
orable time came, and December 15, 1872, he
commenced the publication of The Sunday
Courier, the first Sunday paper issued between
New York and Albany. Many of his friends
doubted the wisdom of his enterprise; but it
prospered, thanks to his own indomitable
perseverance and energy, as well as the influ-
ence and patronage of his many friends; and
when in 1888, owing to failing health, he con-
cluded to sell his newspaper, he realized a
competence which enabled him to retire from
business, and take his ease for the remainder
of his days. He died August 26, 1895, at the
residence of Mr. Ackerman, at Carthage Land-
ing, N. Y. , where for some time previous he
had been making his home, having never mar-
ried. He was peculiarly fitted for the profes-
sion which he chose to adopt, was careful,
painstaking and discreet, his editorials, withal,
showing marked ability and thought.



ARTHUR G. TOBEY. the well-known
editor and sole proprietor of The Sunday

Courier, was born May 5, 1850, in the city of
Poughkeepsie, Dutchess county, where he lived
until eight years of age, and then went with
his parents to Utica, N. Y., where he attended
the public schools. Later he was employed
in a drug store at Rome. N. Y., remaining
there for about two years, and subsequently
returning to Poughkeepsie, where he learned
the printing business, with T. G. Nichols, who
was then conducting the Morning N^ews with
singular ability.

In 1 87 1 Mr. Nichols sold the Xeics to Hege-
man & Wilbur, and Mr. Tobey was made fore-
man and, subsequently, local editor. Later
our subject went to New York City and en-
gaged in the restaurant business. Disposing
of his restaurant in December, 1872, he in the
following month returned to Poughkeepsie and
assumed the position of manager and local
editor of The Sunday Courier, which was
established December 15, 1872. He held
that position until December, 1888, when he
purchased the paper, which at that time had a
circulation of 5,000. This he has increased to
8, 500. Mr. Tobey has never aspired to polit-
ical or party honors, but has devoted his entire



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



601



time and attention to his business, and has
always conducted his paper on a non-partisan
basis and with eminent personal popularity
and pecuniary success. Beside the sole owner-
ship of T/ic Courier and a full modern plant,
he has constructed and resides in an attractive
residence on one of the most pleasant avenues
in the city.

In 1875 Mr. Tobey was married at High-
land, Ulster county, to Miss Florence Deyo, a
daughter of the late Monroe Deyo, and they
have two children: Earle D. and Florence E.
Our subject is a member of Triune Lodge,
F. & A. M., of Poughkeepsie Council No. 391,
R. A., and of Hudson River Lodge, A. O. U. W.

Henr}' L. Tobey, our subject's father, was
born in Poughkeepsie, and was one of the
editors of the Utica Herald at the time of his
death. He learned the printer's trade in the
office of T/ic Ecig/c\ in Poughkeepsie, going
from there to Kingston, where he was em-
ployed as a writer on The Journal. He sub-
sequently went to Utica, where he died at the
age of thirty-five. He was married in Pough-
keepsie to Miss Eliza A. Seabury, and they had
the following children: Heman A. (deceased);
Clara (deceased); Arthur G., our subject; and
Kate E. , wife of George R. Mooney, of New
York.

Heman Tobey, the grandfather of Arthur
G., was born in Sharon, Conn., and was at
maturity a merchant in Poughkeepsie, where
he married Miss Hannah Bolan.



GEORGE WARHURST, the present effi-
cient superintendent of the engraving de-
partment of the Dutchess Print Works, at
Wappingers Falls, Dutchess county, has now
held that position for sixteen years, and the
long period of fifty-three years connected
with that business plainly indicates his fidelity
to duty. He has been longer in the employ
of the company than any other man, and his
trustworthiness and capability have been fully
appreciated by those over him.

Mr. Warhurst was born at Newtonmore,
England, April 19, 1824, and is a son of
George and Mary ( Wood ) Warhurst, both
also natives of England, the former born in
1799, and the latter in 1798. Their marriage
was celebrated in England, and some of their
children were born there, while the births of
the others occurred after their removal to
America; they were as follows: William, de-



ceased, was a gold-leaf manufacturer of New
York City; Ann married William D. Snow,
who in early life was a block printer, and later
^became a shoe merchant of Wappingers Falls,