J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 121 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 121 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


he was married to Nancy Waterman, of Salem,
Conn., who died July 2, 1824, and they be-
came the parents of five children: Sarah M.,
born August C, 1814, married Columbus Reed;
Gilbert B. was born April 10, 1816; Nathan
W., born January 12, 1818, is now living at
South Amenia, Dutchess Co., N. Y. ; Nancy
L., born August 12, 1819, died January 11,
1S74; and John H., born June i, 1821, died
October 13, 1892. For his second wife Na-



than Smith married Hannah Stark, and they
had two children: Fitch C, born January 19,
1826; and Henry S., born May 20, 1828. His
third wife was Nancy Baker, widow of Mathias
Baker, and daughter of Deacon Eliphalet Hill-
yard, and his last wife was Mary Gallup. For
a time he was captain of a sloop, but most of
his life was devoted to farming at Salem, Conn.
At the time of his death, which occurred March
26, 1S76, he was serving as deacon of the
Baptist Church at North Lyme, Conn. , of
which he was a faithful member.

John H. Smith, the father of our subject,
was born at Lyme, Conn., was there educated
in the public schools, and at the age of four-
teen years walked from his home to Wassaic,
Dutchess Co., N. Y., where he resided with a
sister for a time. At Williamstown, Mass.,
he learned the trade of wagon making, after
which he worked in the mill at Amenia, where
he continued to reside for one year after his
marriage. Removing to the Steel Works, he
began wagon making, which business he con-
tinued to follow up to the time of his death.
He was entirely a self-made man, having
started out in* life tor himself empty-handed,
at the early age of fourteen years, and suc-
ceeded in accumulating a good property by
persistent labor and well-directed efforts. In
religious belief he was a Baptist, belonging to
the Church at Amenia, and in politics he was a
stalwart Republican. He was called upon to
serve his fellow citizens in the offices of assessor
and justice of the peace.

At Amenia, June i, 1847, was celebrated
the marriage of John H. Smith, Sr. , and Miss
Maria, daughter of Myron Reed, and to them
were born seven children: Nathan, who was
born April 21, 184S, and is now a merchant
of Amenia Union; Sarah M., who was born
September 11, 1849, and was married June
26, 1879, to Charles, son of Philo S. Hoyt, of
Danbury, Conn.; Myron, born May 12, 1S51,
who is serving his third term as superintendent
of the poor of Dutchess county; Belinda, born
April II, 1855; Esther M., born September
22, 1856; Edwin D., of Poughkeepsie, born
Januarj' 18, 1859; and John H., whose name
introduces this sketch.

John H. Smith, Jr., spent his boyhood days
in Amenia, attending the district schools and
the Amenia Seminar)', and learned the trade
of wagon making with his father, who then
gave him an interest in the business. Since
the death of his father he has successfully con-



VOMMhiMOUATIVE BIOORAPUWAL RECORD.



628



ducted the trade alone, handling all kinds of
goods in the wagon line, and is now at the
head of a large and constantly increasing busi-
ness. Socially he affiliates with the Royal Ar-
canum at Wassaic, Dutchess county, and polit-
ically is identified with the Republican party.
At Plainsville, Conn., December 22, 1887, he
was united in marriage with Miss Carrie Grid-
ley Parrish, a native of Hillsdale, Columbia
Co., N. Y. , and they have two children: Celia
M. and William Parrish.



frENRY M. BARKER, who for the past
five years has been the efficient superin-
tendent on the place of Mr. Mills, of the town
of Hyde Park, is a native of New Hampshire,
born at Antrim, August 24, 1838, and is of
Scotch-Irish lineage, but for -several genera-
tions representatives of the family have made
their home in New England.

His paternal grandfather, Capt. Peter
Barker, was born in Atkinson, N. H., and
was the son of Zebediah Barker. He was a
soldier in the Revolutionary war, being captain
of the alarm list, and served for seven years in
that terrible struggle. By occupation he was
a farmer, and was one of the most successful
and prominent men of the community in
which he lived. He wedded Sallie Wood, of
Atkinson, N. H., and to them were born the
following children: Samuel, Hannah, Peter,
Isaac, Thomas, Moody M. and Sallie. The
family were all faithful members of the Pres-
byterian Church, and the male representatives
were ardent Democrats, \ery firm in their polit-
ical convictions. The death of Capt. Peter
Barker occurred on the 23d of May, 1829.

Moody M. Barker, the father of our sub-
ject, first opened his eyes to the light in New
Hampshire, May 24, 1795, became a promi-
nent farmer of that State, and would have
been an honor to any community. He became
captain of the State Militia, and served for
about four months in the war of 1812. He
was married to Miss Nancy Bixby, of Hills-
boro, N. H., a daughter of John Bixby, and
they became the parents of five children:
John B., a paper maker, who became the
foreman of a factory in Mexico, where he died
in 1863; Emily, who became the wife of Sam-
uel Brown; Adeline, who married Charles
Woods; Miles, who is living at Nashua, N. H.;
and Henry M., of this review. On March 24,
1873, the father departed this life, and his



loving wife only survived him two days. They
were earnest Christian people, who had the
respect of all who knew them.

Mr. Barker, whose name introduces this
record, attended both public and select schools
during his youth, and as he is quite a reader, the
knowledge thus acquired has been greatly sup-
plemented, and he is now a well-informed man.
On starting out in life for himself, for five years
he was clerk in a dry-goods store at Manches-
ter, N. H. ; but in 1864 he returned to the old
home farm, to which he devoted his time and
attention until 1878. In that year he came to
Staatsburg, Dutchess county, as manager for
Mrs. Major Lowndis on her farm, just above
the one on which he is now located. At the
end of a year, however, he became superin-
tendent on the farm of Maturin Livingston, with
whom he remained until the latter's death, and
for the past five years has been on the same
farm with Mr. Mills. It is needless to say that
he gives general satisfaction, as his long-con-
tinued service well indicates that fact.

For the last two years Mr. Barker has taken
quite an active part in local political affairs,
adhering closely to the principles of the Repub-
lican party, and at the election in the spring
of 1894 was chosen supervisor of the town of
Hyde Park. Since coming to the county he
has always held a prominent and influential
position, and stands remarkably high in the
estimation of the community, as an honorable,
upright and trustworthy man, In religious
belief he is a Presbyterian, and socially is a
member of the Knights of Pythias fraternity of
Staatsburg.

In November, 1 864, was celebrated the mar-
riage of Mr. Barker and Miss Mary J. Colbourn,
of New Boston, N. H., a daughter of Luther
Colbourn, and three sons grace their union:
Herbert L., a practicing physician of Wood-
side, Long Island; Harry C, an attorney at
law, of Poughkeepsie, N. Y. ; and Fred M.,
at home.



r^ILLIAM J. CAREY, a well-known mer-
Itlt chant at Pawling, Dutchess county, is
one of the most enterprising and successful
young business men of the town, having built
up his trade from the start to its present hand-
some proportions.

His ancestors have had their home for
many generations in Kings county, Ireland,
and his grandfather, Andrew Carey, a farmer,



624



COMMEMORATIVE BIOQRAPUICAL RECORD.



left there in 1858 to come to America, where
he foilovved his occupation first in the town of
Pawling, Dutchess county, and later at Clare-
mont, N. H. His last years were spent in re-
tirement at that place. He married, and had
eight children: John, a resident of Manches-
ter, England, who died in 1896; Mary, the wife
of James Kating, of Claremont, N. H. ; Christo-
pher, formerly a farmer, but now a resident of
Danbury, Conn.; Joseph, deceased, who lived
at Claremont, and has a son practicing law in
Washington, D. C. ; Edward and Thomas, both
residents of Claremont; Margaret, the wife of
M. Fitzgerald; and Andrew, our subject's
father.

Andrew Carey was born in the Emerald
Isle in 1844, and was about fourteen years old
at the time of the emigration to this country.
He is now one of the substantial citizens of the
town of Dover, Dutchess county, owning a
farm of 160 acres, gained by his industry and
thrifty management. He is a member of the
Catholic Church at Pawling, and in politics is
a Democrat, and his sound common sense and
public spirit have made him influential in local
movements. Thoroughly patriotic in his de-
votion to the best interests of his adopted
country, he enlisted in 1863 in the 28th Con-
necticut \". I., under Capt. Hoag, and served
for one year, taking part in several important
engagements. He now belongs to Campbell
Post No. 661, G. A. R. , of Pawling. He married
Miss Mary Ellen Donahue, daughter of William
Donahue, of Pawling, N. Y. , and they have
ten children, of whom our subject is the eldest.
Mary Ellen married Daniel J. Driscoll, an en-
gineer, of Boston, Mass. ; John Edward is head
clerk in the store of his brother, William J.;
Margaret is in Boston; and Elizabeth, Sarah,
Andrew, Alice, Emma and Frank are at home.

The subject of this sketch was born No-
vember 20. 1865, in the town of Pawling, and
was educated in the common schools near his
home, attending only the winter terms after
he reached the age of eleven. At sixteen he
left school and began business life, but he has
always taken a keen interest in reading, and is
well informed upon the topics of the day. His
first employment was in a pleating shop in
Boston, in 1883, and after some time there he
went to Brooklyn and secured work as a porter
in a chop house for the winter season. In
March, 1884, he took a position as driver for
Dr. E. H. Hasbrook, and remained with him
until November, 1886. The ne.xt two years



were spent at home, working part of the time
by the day upon the farm, and meanwhile
farming some rented land. On December 5,
1888, he opened a candy and cigar store at
Pawling, at the corner now occupied by Olm-
stead's store, and continued there in a small
way until April 25, 1889. when he moved to
his present place and added groceries to his
stock, his business having so increased as to
justify the investment. Since that time his
trade has extended until it is regarded as
among the largest in the town.

Mr. Carey's matrimonial partner is Cath-
erine Lehan, daughter of Daniel Lehan, a
prominent resident of Pawling, and they have
one daughter, Madeleine. Like his ancestors,
he is a Catholic in religion, and he is an active
worker in local affairs, supporting the Demo-
cratic ticket, and serving the community as a
member of the board of education and of the
fire department.



JAMES RUSSELL PAINE, the senior mem-
ber of the well-known firm of J. R. Paine
& Son, leading hardware merchants of Mil-
lerton, was born June 20, 1S31, in the town
of Northeast, upon the old Paine homestead,
which has been in the possession of the family
since the first settlement of the town of North-
east. He is of English descent, the founder
of the American line being Thomas Paine, who
landed at Plymouth in 1621.

Mr. Paine's descendants have held a distin-
guished place in the early history of the coun-
try, Robert Treat Paine, one of the signers of
the Declaration of Independence, being among
them. Thomas Paine had a son, Elisha, who
settled at Canterbury. Conn., and his son
Abram located in Amenia about 1741, and
was the first to take steps toward organizing a
Church there. Joshua Paine, also of Canter-
bury, probably a son of Thomas, came to
Dutchess county in 1749, and purchased land
in the eastern part of the township, and Sec-
tion 59 of the "Oblong," where he followed
farming and blacksmithing. He was the father
of Barnabus Paine, Sr., and of Judge Ephraim
Paine, who was county judge in 1778, being
the first to be appointed to that office in Dutch-
ess county after the organization of the gov-
ernment of the State of New York. Elihu
Paine, our subject's great-grandfather, owned
and cultivated the old farm in Northeast, as
did his son, Jeremiah, who, as one of the





^^2^t-^f'tJ^_^



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHICAL RECORD.



625



most influential and prosperous men in the
community, sustained the well-deserved repu-
tation of the family. He was a justice of the
peace for many years. He married Betsey
Woodard, and had six children: Lorinda (Mrs.
Eggleston); Piatt A., our subject's father;
Sarah Ann (Mrs. Bailey Bowditch) ; Rachel
(Mrs. Mortimer Worthey); Jeremiah W. ; and
Mary (Mrs. Darius Penny). His death oc-
curred about 1855, and that of his wife about
1848.

Piatt A. Paine was born June 19, 1806.
He conducted the old homestead for a time in
early manhood, but later bought the Roe farm
of 244 acres, and lived there for nearly twenty
years. He became interested in Western lands
also, and made a number of successful deals.
In politics he was a Republican, and an active
one, holding various offices in that town, in-
cluding those of supervisor and justice of the
peace. He was highly esteemed in the neigh-
borhood, and was a deacon in the Baptist
Church, with which his family has been closely
identified from very early times. He married
Julietta Russell, daughter of Eli Russell, in
his day a leading citizen of Northeast. Both
lived to a good old age, and retired in 1859 to
the village of Millerton to spend their declin-
ing years. Mrs. Paine died there in 1876, her
husband survivingher only three years. They
had five children: James R. ; Judson P., now
of Annawan, 111.; Theron J., of New York
City; Martin W., living in Millerton; and Julia,
who married George Houston, now of Penn-
sylvania, but at that time the superintendent
of Maltby's furnace in the town of Northeast.

James R. Paine was educated mainly at a
select school in his native town, of which E.
W. Simmons was principal. He attended
there until he was nineteen years old, and at-
tained a good academic education. His vaca-
tions were spent in farm work, and until his
marriage, at the age of twenty-two, he re-
mained at the old farm, assisting his father.
In 1853 he bought a life lease of a farm in
Northeast, where he lived for ten years, buy-
ing in the meantime another farm. In 1863
he sold both properties, and for three years
was engaged with \Villiam Dayton in the hotel
business at Millerton. Later he made several
changes, moving to Canaan, Conn, (where he
owned a farm for a time), to Great Bar-
rington and to Sheffield, Mass., where he en-
gaged in speculating in real estate and stock.
After a successful year there he returned, in

40



1869, to his native county, and established
himself in business in Millerton, buying out
Mr. Merrifield's interest in the hardware store
which he had been conducting in partnership
with Darius Penny. The new firm continued
the business for three years, when Mr. Paine
purchased Mr. Penny's interest, continuing
alone until January, 1 878, when his son became
a partner. This is the oldest mercantile house
in the town, and commands a large and profit-
able trade. Mr. Paine's well-proved ability
and judgment have made him a valued ad-
viser in many business enterprises; he has
been a director of the Amenia National Bank,
and was one of the original directors of the
Millerton National Bank, of which he has for a
number of years past been the vice-president.
Mr. Paine has been married four times,
first to Miss Julia Eggleston, who died leaving
one son — Piatt N. ; and second to Miss Julia
Dayton, by whom he had two sons — William
H., a resident of Roanoke, Va. ; and Lester,
who conducts the homestead. His third wife,
who was Miss Ann Friss, had one daughter,
Florence, a successful music teacher at Keene,
N. H. ; his present wife, formerly Miss Cynthia
Tripp, has one son, James Russell Paine, Jr.
The family are active and influential supporters
of the Baptist Church, of which Mr. Paine has
been a communicant since the age of twelve
years, and for many years has been a deacon.
In local affairs he has always been a leader,
but, although he is an influential Republican,
he has never cared to hold office. He served
a term as town assessor, but has since declined
to be a candidate for any position.



PLATT N. PAINE was born December 25,
1854, and received a good academic edu-
cation in the schools of Millerton, Canaan,
Great Barrington, and Amenia. On leaving
Amenia Seminary at the age of nineteen, he
engaged in clerking for his father; but in 1876
he went to Port Royal, S. C, and became
interested in gardening and draying, with the
view of supplying the government fleets at
Port Royal harbor. He sold out after eight
months, however, and returned to Millerton to
make his permanent home. On January i,
1878, he formed a partnership with his father
in the hardware business, and he has also been
engaged in the building of houses for sale.
Some of the finest cottages in the town have
been erected by him, five being located in



626



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Park Lot. He has already disposed of nine
houses, and has made this branch of his work
very profitable. Some years ago he under-
took the work of surveying with W. E. Sim-
mons, and is now engaged in that also. He
takes an active part in public affairs
and is among the leaders in the Re-
publican organization in his town, serving
as trustee for several terms, and as treasurer
of the village to fill a vacancy; he has now
also held for some time the offices of justice
of the peace, sealer of weights and measures,
and superintendent of the water works. He
introduced the original motion for the con-
struction of these works, and has been one of
the chief promoters of various other measures
for local improvement. He is a prominent
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
of which he is a trustee.



/I LLEN H. DUTCHER, a most genial
^^ and companionable gentleman, has
through a long and useful career been promi-
nently identified with the interests of the town
of Dover, Dutchess county. He is one of
the representative and public-spirited citizens,
always aiding in everything that will in any
way benefit his town or county, and has the
respect and esteem of all with whom he comes
in contact.

The Dutcher family is of Holland origin,
and the first of its members to locate in the
town of Dover, Dutchess county, was Christo-
pher Dutcher, the great-grandfather of our
subject. He erected the first tiourmill in this
part of the county, and a portion of it is still
standing. He conducted the same during his
entire life, grinding much of the liour that was
sold at Poughkeepsie and other places in the
locality. As Dover Plains was then the ter-
minus of the Harlem road, which was built
before the New York Central, all the Pough-
keepsie freight and passengers were brought
to that village by stage, and it became quite
a center of trade. The grandfather of our
sul^ject, Lawrence Dutcher, was born in the
town of Washington, Dutchess county, where
his education was later acquired, and he be-
came a farmer by occupation. He was twice
married, by the first union having three chil-
dren, and by his second wife, who bore the
maiden name of Waldo, had eleven children.

Belden Dutcher, the father of Allen H.,
was also born in the town of Washington,



Dutchess county, in the year 1790, and after
completing his education there engaged in ag-
ricultural pursuits. During the old training
days, he served as major of a troop of militia.
An earnest and sincere Christian, he took a
prominent part in religious work, giving the
ground at Dover Plains, on which the Baptist
Church was built and still stands. He also
took a prominent part in the imbuildingof the
village, erecting two good hotels, and he suc-
ceeded in getting the first mechanics to locate
there. He was united in marriage with Miss
Maria Hurd. a daughter of Capt. Allen Hurd,
and six children were born to them: Egbert,
Allen H., Elizabeth, William, Thomas, and
one that died in infancy. The mother was
called from this life in July, 1862, and for his
second wife, Mr. Dutcher wedded Mrs. Abbie
Burrows.

The birth of our subject occurred at Dover
Plains, Dutchess county, in 18 19, and he ac-
quired a practical education in the academy
of that place. During early life he learned
the trade of a wagon maker, at which he
worked for about eight years, when he entered
upon a mercantile career. He has held every
office in his town with the exception of two,
and it is needless to say that he ever discharged
his duties with promptness and fidelity. For
seventeen years he served as postmaster of
Dover Plains, and for eight years was revenue
collector. He is at present justice of the
peace, and his decisions are marked by fairness
and impartiality, being well calculated to
serve the ends of jtistice. He is also engaged
in the fire-insurance business.

Mr. Dutcher married Miss Maria Preston,
daughter of Clark Preston, of Dover Plains,
Dutchess county, and to them was born a son:
Ernest P., who married Isabella Gridley, of
New York, by whom he has one child, Isa-
bella E. In 1856 Mr. Dutcher lost his wife,
and about four years later he wedded Miss
Mary A. Bricker, daughter of William Bricker,
of England. To them was born one child,
that died in infancy.

James Bricker, the grandfather of Mrs.
Dutcher, was a native of Wotton-under-Edge,
Gloucestershire, England — a most beautiful
place, surrounded by mountains. In his fam-
ily was William Bricker, who was born and
educated at the same place. He there mar-
ried Miss Hannah White, and in England were
born to them three daughters: Mary A., wife
of our subject; Caroline, who became the wife



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



627



of William Beldin, son of Dr. Beldin, of Dover
Plains; and Emily. In January, 1842, the
father came to the United States, locating at
Poughkeepsie, Dutchess county. When he had
been here a year and nine months, he sent for
his family, which arrived in 1844, and ever
afterward made their home in this county.
After the death of his first wife in 1850, he was
again married, and his death occurred in Fond
du Lac, Wis., in 1882. Although an English-
man by birth, he became a thorough American
citizen, and always stood by his adopted home.
In his native land he had engaged in the manu-
facture of broadcloth, but in this country gave
his entire attention to agricultural pursuits.



CHARLES A. SIMMONS, who occupies an
intiuential and prominent position among
the citizens of Stanford town, Dutchess coun-
ty, resides near Bangall, where he is engaged
in the breeding of Jersey cattle and raising
fancy poultry. When a young man he learned
the profession of an architect, contractor and
builder, which he followed at Pine Plains,
Dutchess county, for four years, and then re-
moved to his present home, where h£ still en-
gages in that business to some extent.

Mr. Simmons was born at Pine Plains, De-
cember 24, i860, and is the only child of
Norman and Emeline (Eldridge) Simmons
His father was a native of Copake, Columbia
Co., N. Y., and the youngest of a family of
three sons and two daughters born to John B.
a"nd Catherine (Hover) Simmons, who for
many years resided in Pine Plains town, Dutch-
ess county. After his marriage, the father of
our subject made his home in the village of
Pine Plains, where he was one of the leading
contractors and builders, and his wife, who
is a milliner and dressmaker, has there carried
on that business ever since. He learned his
trade at Philmont, Columbia county, where he
served a seven-years' apprenticeship, and was
entirely a self-made man. In politics he was
an ardent Republican, and held the office of
overseer of the poor. He died in 1881, at the
age of forty-nine years, in the faith of the
Baptist Church, of which he was a consistent
member.

Charles A. Simmons spent his early days
in the village of Pine Plains, where he attended
the public schools, and completed his literary
education in the Seymour Smith Institute, of
that place, after which he began his business



career. In the city of Albany, N. Y., he was
married, August 12. 1892, to Miss Eva Wilber,
daughter of Zachariah Wilber, of the town of
Milan, Dutchess county. Both are highly re-
spected in their community and foremost in all
good work. Mr. Simmons uses his right of
franchise in support of the men and measures



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 121 of 183)