J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 123 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 123 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Valley, where her father, Hewlett Peters, was
also born, and spent his entire life in agricult-
ural pursuits. The Peters family was of
French origin, and on crossing the Atlantic its
members first located on Long Island. After
their marriage the parents of our subject set-
tled upon the old farm, where they reared
their family of eleven children, as follows:
Margaret, born June 23, 1S17, married Thomas
Smith, a farmer of the town of Washington,
Dutchess county; Hewlett P., born April 5,
1 8 19, wedded Sarah Smith, and is now living
retired in the town of Clinton. Edward S. is
the subject of this sketch; Elias, born Febru-
ary 20, 1825, is a merchant in Rochester,
N. Y., married to Miss Elizabeth Howland;
Burtis, born April 3, 1827, married Mary J.
Wiley, and is engaged in agricultural pursuits
in Clinton town; Hannah, born May 8. 1829,
became the wife of Asa U. Smith, who at one
time was a farmer of Dutchess county, but
died in the West; and Mary, born June 9, 1831,





^








COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



633



was the wife of Solomon Merritt, a carpenter
of Rochester, N. Y. , and died in 1862. The
mother of these was called to her final rest
June 28, 1831; the father died March 31,
1869. In religious belief they were Hicksite
Quakers, and in politics he was an earnest
Whig.

Upon the old homestead farm in Pleasant
Valley town, Edward S. Hicks, our subject,
was born March 26, 1823, and was reared to
rural life, receiving the usual education of the
district school, after which he taught in the
neighborhood for one term. On September
25, 1844, he married Emily Wilber, a native
of the town of Hyde Park, and a daughter of
Sylvanus Wilber, who was born in Rhode
Island, and devoted his entire life to farming.
Two children blessed their union: Sylvanus
W. , a farmer of Pleasant Valley, born De-
cember 7, 1845, married Dorcas M. Wood, of
Hyde Park, September 5, 1866; and Barnard
B., a traveling salesman, born October 4, 1847,
married Hannah A. Doty, of Pleasant Valley,
June 13, 1866. Dr. Edward E. Hicks, of
Brooklyn, son of Barnard B., born November

18, 1870, married Lizzie Porteous, of Pough-
keepsie City, June i, 1S93. The mother of
these died February 4, 1862, and November

19, 1862, Mr. Hicks married his present wife,
Jennie M. Lattin, who was born in Pleasant
Valley town, where the birth of her father,
John W. Lattin, also occurred (in October,
1810). Her mother bore the maiden name of
Hannah E. \\'ilber, and was the sister of our
subject's first wife. Four daughters were born
to Mr. and Mrs. Lattin, namely: Sarah C,
who died unmarried; Ellen W., wife of John
L. Marshall, a farmer of Pleasant Valley town;
Emily C. (the twin sister of Mrs. Hicks), who
first wedded George B. Dale, a farmer, and
after his death became the wife of George Van-
Vliet, a miller at Salt Point, Dutchess county,
who is now also deceased; and Jennie M., the
wife of our subject. The Lattin family was
founded in this country on Long Island, but
Nathaniel Lattin, the grandfather of Mrs.
Hicks, early became a leading farmer of the
town of Pleasant Valley, Dutchess county.

After his first marriage Mr. Hicks located
upon a farm in the town of Clinton, where he
spent two years, the following year being
passed on the old home in Pleasant \'alley; he
then removed to a farm in the same town,
which he occupied some four years. For
eighteen vears he next cultivated a farm in



the western part of the town, and the follow-
ing year he was a resident of Poughkeepsie.
At the end of that time he returned to the
town of Pleasant Valley, where he purchased
a farm, on which he made his home until
1889, when he sold out, and has since lived at
the '• Pleasant Valley Hotel."

Politically, Mr. Hicks affiliates with the
Democratic party, in whose principles he
claims he finds the best guarantees for the
preservation of the government. Both him-
self and wife are members of the Presbyterian
Church, of which for the past si.xteen years he
has been deacon, and for twenty-five years as-
sistant superintendent of the Sunday-school.
After long lives of toil, surrounded by the love,
respect and esteem of a large circle of friends
and acquaintances, Mr. and Mrs. Hicks are
resting from their labors, and quietly and
pleasantly passing their time.



WELDON F. WESTON, one of the
leading citizens of Fishkill-on-Hudson,

Dutchess county, and the proprietor of Wes-
ton's Express and Transportation line running
between Fishkill, Nevvburg, and neighboring
points, is a native of Litchfield, N. H., and a
member of a family which has long held a
prominent place in political, business and
social life. Jonathan Weston, his great-grand-
father, served with honor in the Revolutionary
war, enlisting from Reading, Mass., three
different times.

Amos Weston, grandfather of our subject,
was born in Reading, Mass., April 21, 1767,
and was married June i, 1790, to Polly Flint,
who was born November 8, 1767. Amos died
at Manchester, N. H., April 4, 1843, his wife
on December 4, 1858. They had nine chil-
dren, whose names with dates of birth and
death are as follows: Amos (2), March 18,
1781, died June i, 1859; Betsey, October 17,
1793, died August 27, 1878; Mary, December
29. 1795. died August 13, 1838; Nathaniel F.,
September 5, 1798, died December 29, 1799;
Sally, October 26, 1800, died May 12, 1881;
Harriet, January 23, 1803, died April 2, 1892;
Elbridge, July 23, 1805, died March 7, 1863;
Achsah, August 26, 1807, died March 17, 1849;
and Harrison, December 17, 1811. died June
19, 1883. Amos (2) was the father of Hon.
James A. Weston, who was elected Governor
of New Hampshire in 1871 and 1874. The
esteem in'which he was held throughout the



634



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



State is attested by his election on the Dem-
ocratic ticket, he being the only member of
his party chosen to that office in New Hamp-
shire in nearly half a century. He was mayor
of Manchester, N. H., serving four terms, and
when he died. May 18, 1895, was president of
the New Hampshire Fire Insurance Company,
the Manchester National Bank, and was con-
nected with several other institutions in that
city. Elbridge J. Weston was the father of
Sarah, who married Hon. George S. Merrill,
of Boston, for many years past the Insurance
Commissioner of the State of Massachusetts.
He is prominent in Grand .Army circles, hav-
ing been commander in chief of the National
body.

Harrison Weston, our subject's father, was
born in Manchester, N. H., and lived there
forty-two years, removing thence to Litchfield,
N. H., December 19, 1853. He was a farmer
during the greater part of his life, but in early
years was lock-tender and collector of tolls on
the Merrimac river at Crummell's Fall and
Moores Fall. In those days transportation
was done mainly by waterways, railroads being
unknown. He was a man of modest preten-
sion, possessed of sterling integrity, and was
respected and honored by all who knew him.
During a brief stay in Fishkill in his later
years he made many friends, who hold him in
affectionate remembrance. In politics he was
a Democrat, always taking a lively interest in
public affairs, and his townsmen honored him
with nearly every office in their gift. He died
in Laconia, N. H., and was buried beside his
wife, Betsey J. I'Richardson), at the old home in
Litchfield, in the cemetery which owed its
e.xistence mainly to his enterprise and fore-
sight, and which had been improved under his
sole supervision. Of the five children of this
estimable couple all are living. Their names,
with dates of birth, are as follows: Mary J.,
September 3, 184S; Wilbur Harrison, Febru-
ary II, 1851; Warren J., June 28, 1853; Wel-
don F., April 14, 1S56; and Ellura H., June
12, 1859.

Wilbur H. Weston (popularly known as
" Maj. Weston " ) resides in Newburg, and has
been engaged in the railroad industries in
Dutchess and Orange counties throughout his
business life. In recent years he has given
special attention to the construction of electric
street railways in Fishkill and Newburg, and
is also connected more or less intimately with
many other important business ventures of his



city. He is prominent in fraternal and social
circles, and has been active in political matters
for several years, having many friends through-
out the State. William H. Moore, for twenty
years general passenger agent and auditor of
the N. D. & C. R. R., is a half-brother. At
the early age of eighteen years he enlisted as
a private in Company K, ist Massachusetts
Heavy Artillery; was made quartermaster's
clerk, and served three years; then re-enlisted
for other three years, but was discharged Janu-
ary 7, 1865, by reason of wounds received in
an engagement near Strawberry Plains, Va.,
.August 15, 1S64.

^^■eldon F. Weston received instruction at
the public schools of his native place during
boyhood, and later attended Pinkerton Acad-
emy, at Derry, N. H., finishing his education
at the New Hampshire Conference Seminary
and Female College, at Tilton, N. H. After
a brief experience as a teacher, he, at the age
of twenty, came to Newburg, as shipping clerk
for the Erie railroad, at the Homer Ramsdell
Transportation Company's line of barges.
After two years there, he returned to New
Hampshire and engaged in mercantile business
for three years; but in 1879 he came back to
his former position at Newburg, for another
season. The next six years he spent at Mat-
teawan as station agent for the N. D. & C. R.
R., and in 1S88 he and his brother, W. H.
Weston, purchased the Matteawan & Fishkill
Landing Stage Line, and were engaged in the
express and trucking business in connection
with the stage line, until 1892, when the
electric railroad superseded the stage route; he
then purchased his brother's interest in the
business. He is still extensively interested in
transportation business with adjoining towns,
and is a director of the Citizens Street railroad
and the Fishkill Street railroad. He has a
pleasant home at No. 42 High street, Fishkill-
on-Hudson. His wife (formerly Miss Anna
Jeanette Elkins), to whom he was married
September 26, 1878, is a daughter of Charles
M. and Elizabeth A. (Davis) Elkins, of Wake-
field, Massachusetts.

Politically, Mr. Weston is a Republican.
In 1 89 1 he was elected president of the village
of Matteawan, and was re-elected in 1892
without opposition, being the first incumbent
of the office to be chosen without an opposing
candidate since the incorporation of the village.
At the present time he is president of the
Board of Trade of Matteawan and Fishkill-on-



COMilEilORATIVE BIOORAPHICAL RECORD.



635



Hudson; president of the board of health of
Fishkill Landing; and president of the Fairview
Cemetery Association. He has taken an in-
terest in fraternal society work, also, and has
been warden of Beacon Lodge, F. &. A. M. ;
also chancellor of Hudson River Lodge, K. of
P., has twice represented the latter society in
the Grand Lodge of the State, and has been
deputy for this district.



JOHN V. O'FARRELL, who is engaged in
the ice business in Wappingers Falls,

Dutchess county, although a resident of
Hughsonville, was born in County Tipperary,
Ireland, March 2, 1845.

The father of our subject, James O'Far-
rell, was a native of the same county, and a
baker and shopkeeper by occupation. He
married Margaret Lamphier, and they reared
four children, namely: P. W., who' is a gen-
eral merchant in Blackville, S. C. ; Margaret,
who married John Sullivan, of Goshen, Orange
Co., N. Y., who is now deceased; John V.;
and Elizabeth, who died unmarried. The fam-
ily came to America in 1850, and Mr. O'Far-
rell, who was then an officer in the English
army, left his family at Wappingers Falls
while he went to Canada, to which country he
had been ordered. He died in Montreal in
185 1. His wife survived him until 1 882. They
were members of the Catholic Church, and
their children were brought up in that faith.

John V. O'Farrell was only five years old
when his parents settled at Wappingers Falls,
and in the common schools of that village he
obtained his education. When old enough he
found employment in the Dutchess Print
Works, and worked there until 1864, when he
enlisted in Company L 3d New York Cavalry,
and served until the close of the Civil war.
He was discharged, June 17, 1865, at Suffolk,
Va., and returned to his home, where he
learned the carpenter's trade, and for the past
thirty years has been one of the most success-
ful builders at the Falls. In 1880 he formed
a partnership with John M. Goring in the fur-
niture and undertaking business, which con-
nection lasted for four years. He then sold
out to E. W. Flynn, and engaged in the ice
business, which he has since carried on, also
being interested in buying and selling real es-
tate. He has been very successful, and is
among the prosperous and substantial citizens
of Wappingers Falls.



On January 7, 1877, Mr. O'Farrell was
married to Miss Mary A. Downey, who was
born in Wappingers Falls, and is a daughter
of Peter Downey, Sr. , a native of Ireland. Of
this marriage six children have been born, all
of whom are living: "Vincent, Leo, Joseph,
Raymond, Marie, and Emmett.

Mr. O'Farrell was a Democrat until 1886,
since which time he has been in sympathy with
the Republican party. He was for two terms
assessor of the town of Poughkeepsie, for three
years chief of the Wappingers Falls fire de-
partment, and for nine years one of the village
trustees. He is a member of the Foresters,
and also of the G. A. R. Post, in which he has
held all the offices and was commander for
three terms. He and his family are devoted
members of the Catholic Church. Mr. O'Far-
rell is a man of progressive ideas, always ready
to assist in matters for the public good, and is
one of the most loyal and enterprising of the
business men of the village. He has many
warm friends, and is popular with all who
know him.



JOHN M. GORING, a leading and represent-
ative business man of Wappingers Falls,
where he has a furniture and undertaking
establishment, is a member of the well-known
firm of Goring & Flynn. He was born in that
village, December 21, 1851, and is a son of J.
M. Goring. There he grew to manhood, being
educated in the public schools, and learned the
trade of a tinsmith and plumber with A. W.
Armstrong, by whom he was employed for
eleven years. In 1882 he started his present
business, being at that time connected with
John O'Farrell, under the firm name of O'Far-
rell & Goring, which partnership continued for
two years, when the senior member withdrew,
and Edward W. Flynn became a member of
the firm, which then assumed its present style.
They have one of the leading establishments of
the kind in the town, and the liberal patronage
they receive is well deserved.

On November 20, 1S76, Mr. Goring was
married to Miss Mary C. Downing, of Clinton
Point, Dutchess county, a daughter of Edward
and Jane Downing, who were both born in the
North of Ireland, and were of Scotch lineage.
Our subject and his wife have become the par-
ents of four children (two pair of twins) : How-
ard D. and Harold V., born September 23,



030



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHICAL RECORD.



1884; and J. Morris and Mary C, born Janu-
ary 6, 1897.

In politics, Mr. Goring is identified with the
Republican party, and is at present serving as
treasurer of his school district. He is a highly
respected and esteemed citizen of the place,
and as a merchant bears the reputation of an
honest, upright and trustworthy man. His
gentlemanly deportment and genial manners
are gaining him hosts of friends, and rapidly in-
creasing his business. He takes quite an active
part in civic societies, belonging to Wappinger
Lodge No. 671, F. & A. M., of which he is
past master; Poughkeepsie Chapter, K. A. M. ;
La Fayette Lodge No. 18, I. O. O. F. ; and
Evening Star Lodge No. 98, K. P.



AMES M. De GARMO, proprietor of De-
I Garmo Institute, Fishkill Landing, Dutch-
ess county, was born in the town of Hyde
Park, near Crum Elbow, N. Y. , December 22,
1838, a son of Peter and Sarah Gilchrist (Mar-
shall) De Garmo. The father was born March
4, 1798, also in the town of Hyde Park, the
mother on July 24, 1800, in Westchester
county, N. Y. Peter De Garmo, the paternal
grandfather of our subject, was born Septem-
ber 2, 1751, in New Jersey, and the paternal
grandmother, Mary D. Robinson, on Novem-
ber 12, 1763. James I. Marshall, the mater-
nal grandfather, was born January 6, 1773, the
maternal grandmother, Elizabeth (Gilchrist),
on December 2, 1772.

On his father's side James M. De Garmo
is a lineal descendant of French Huguenots,
while his mother's familj' were Rhode Island
Yankees. During the Huguenot persecution
in France, the De Garmos of Normandy fled
to Holland, where some of them married Dutch
women, and, later, three brothers — Elias,
Jacob (or James) and John — with their fami-
lies, came to America and settled at Pompton
Plains, N. J., and from them the whole De-
Garmo clan in America is descended.

Peter De Garmo and his father before him
were tanners and farmers, retaining many of
the physical and mental characteristics of their
French ancestry, for they were mostly men (jf
small stature, of nervous temperament, but
cheerful and happy disposition, active and vig-
orous in mind and body. James was one of a
family of nine children, and was never a very
hardy, tough boy, like most of his age. His



primary education was obtained from the old-
fashioned district school of the time. But at
eleven years of age he was needed on the farm,
left school and worked till he was seventeen;
then he went three months to the Dutchess
County Academy at Poughkeepsie, under the
Scotch Prof. William McGeorge. After these
three months he returned to the farm, and
worked till he was nineteen, when he began,
in April, to teach in the academy where he
had studied, and at the same time began his
studies for college. In two years and a quar-
ter, as he was about to enter college, his health
failed, and he took charge of a boarding-school
at Oswego Meeting House, near what is now
Moores Mill, under Ouaker auspices. In the
following spring he was in such ill-health that
he went home to recruit, spending some of the
time in the wild Adirondacks, and in \"ermont.
In November he again took charge of the Os-
wego school, teaching till spring, when he went
to Poughkeepsie, and, under private instruct-
ors, studied French, German, Latin and Greek,
continuing till the next February, when he
entered a co-partnership with Prof. McGeorge
and Mr. Stewart Pelham, to conduct the Old
Academy. At that time he was married to
Emily L. Drake, of Pleasant \'alley, and soon
began his life-work at teaching. The co-part-
nership, not proving congenial, was dissolved,
and in April, 1864, he went to Rhinebeck,
N. Y., and took charge of the Rhinebeck Acad-
emy, which he soon after purchased, changed
to De Garmo Institute, entirely rebuilt and im-
proved, and continued to manage it until 1890,
when he moved to Fishkill Landing, where he
hired Mt. Beacon Academy, and has taught
till the present time. His school has been
one of the best known in the county or State.
Soon after going to Rhinebeck, Princeton
College conferred upon Dr. De Garmo the hon-
orary degree of Master of Arts, and later, in
187S, Hamilton College, at Clinton, N. Y. ,
gave him the degree of Doctor of Philosophy.
Both degrees were conferred in recognition of
his success in preparing boys for college, and
for his scientific studies. In October, 1867,
he was initiated, passed and raised a Free
and Accepted Mason, and is now past master
of Rhinebeck Lodge No. 432; past master of
Beacon Lodge No. 283; grand representative
of the Symbolic Grand Lodge of the United
States of Mexico, near the Grand Lodge of the
State of New York; and a thirty-second-degree
Mason of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite



COMMEMOnATIVB BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



G37



in the Valley of New York, for the Northern
Jurisdiction of America.

Dr. De Garmo has never held any political
office, but since his eighteenth year has spoken
on the Republican side in every Presidential
campaign but one. In the famous Greeley
campaign he was silent. He has lectured fre-
quently and acceptably on scientific topics,
was an active member of the Poughkeepsie
Society of Natural Science, and later of Vassar
Brothers' Institute. He is an after-dinner
speaker of some reputation, and writes occa-
sional poems, which have been well received.
But whatever he may have of enduring reputa-
tion will come from his long and faithful work
as a teacher. Although a linguist by profes-
sion, he has devoted much time to scientific
studies, is a fair microscopist and astronomer,
and familiar with lepidoptera and with orni-
thology and geology, in all which departments
he has collected fine cabinets and museums.
He has delivered many lectures, especially on
science, is a skilled manipulator of apparatus
either before a class or a public audience, and
is a man, on the whole, of rather versatile
talents.



lAVID AND HENRY RUNDALL are
prominent and representative citizens of
the town of Amenia, Dutchess county, the
former residing in the village of Amenia, and
the latter on the old family homestead on the
road between Amenia and Wassaic. About
the middle of the eighteenth century the fam-
ily was founded in Dutchess county, and their
great-grandfather was buried in the old aban-
doned cemetery between Bangall and Mclntyre,
in the town of Stanford.

David Rundall, the grandfather, was born
January 4, 1757, in the town of Horse Neck,
Fairfield Co., Conn., but came to the town of
Amenia, Dutchess county at the age of four-
teen years, in company with his brother, to
whom he was bound out as an apprentice to
learn the tailor's trade. They moved their
entire worldly effects on horseback, and located
in that part of the town which was then called
Separate. The apprenticeship was ended at
about the time of the inauguration of the Rev-
olutionary war, in which the grandfather served
through two campaigns, one in the North and
the other in the South, in the years 1775 ^"d
1776. After obtaining his discharge he re-
turned to Amenia, where he followed his trade,



which was then called "whipping the cat,"
being employed on both sides of the mountains,
wherever he could secure work for a few days.

After his marriage the grandfather lived for
six years at Rhinebeck, Dutchess county, at
the end of which time he returned to Amenia,
taking up his residence in the old house near
the H. W. Peters homestead, and a few re-
maining apple trees standing on the opposite
side of the road mark the stop of the orchard
which he set out. There he resided until
•795. when he removed to the place now oc-
cupied by Henry Rundall, where his death oc-
curred January 21, 1848. During his resi-
dence on the old Peters farm, the first Meth-
odist Church was organized in Amenia, of
which he was for several years the only male
member.

The grandfather was thrice married. On
January 7, 1777, he wedded Catherine Pow-
ers, who died May 14, 1799, and they had six
children: Betsey, born February 8. 1780,
died February 26, 1829; Mary, born January
5, 1783, died August 15,1831; Jacob M., born
May 26, 1785, died October 8. 1833; Abigail,
born August 26, 1787, died in December,
1 871; William, born October i, 1794, died
October 2, 1795; and Henry, born March 4,
1799, died November 3, 1871. ■ In March,
1 80 1, he marrfed Elizabeth Cole, \vho died
July 6, 182 I, and to them was born a daugh-
ter — Catherine, born January 5, 1803, and
married Henry Ingraham. His third wife was
Alice Allerton.

Henry Rundall, the father of our subjects,
during his boyhood attended the "Johnny
Cake " school between Amenia and Wassaic,
and throughout life operated the old home-
stead farm. On December 12, 1821, he was
united in marriage with Nancy T. Sutherland,
who was born April 18, 1803, a daughter of
Roger B. Sutherland, and died January 31,
1869. Six children graced this union, namely:
Sarah S., born August 7, 1825, married Dr.
Isaac M. Hunting, and died November 29,
1895; Elizabeth M.,vborn August 24, 1827,
married George W. Center, of Amenia, N. Y. ;
David and Henry are next in order of birth;
Mary B., born January 10, 1833, wedded John
J. Harrison, and died in November, 1S82; and
Catherine P., born October 2, 1835, married
Henry C. Dauchy, and died November 25,
1895. For his second wife the father chose



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 123 of 183)