J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 125 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 125 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


Jenks, who married Sarah Barton and died,
aged forty-one years.

Abel Edwards, the maternal great-grand-
father of Mrs. Husted was a Revolutionary
soldier. He enlisted May 4, 1775, in the com-
pany of Capt. Samuel Whitney, of Stratford,
5th regiment, Col. David Waterbury com-
manding. He married, for his first wife, Lucy
Hawley, and, for his second, Sarah Mann.



GVEORGE HAM ANGELL, a leading citi-
Ji zen and enterprising, progressive business
man of Wappingers Falls, is one of the prom-
inent dry-goods merchants of the place. He
is a native of Dutchess county, born January
8, 1852, at Salt Point, in the town of Pleas-
ant Valley. The family of which he belongs
is of English origin, and its members mostly
belonged to the Society of Friends. Ephraim
Angell, his paternal grandfather, who was also
born in Pleasant Valley town, located upon a
farm near Spencertown, Columbia Co., N. Y.,
after his marriage with Mary Thorne, where he
reared a family of eight children — Joseph,
Augustus, Stephen, Henry, Ephraim, Sarah,
Emma and Martha — and there he continued
agricultural pursuits until his death.

Upon that farm in Columbia county,
Stephen T. Angell, the father of our subject,
was born, October 31, 1817, and when he had
attained his seventeenth year, he began teach-
ing school in that locality. He was united in
marriage with Miss Hannah E. Ham, a daugh-
ter of George Ham, who was born in the town
of Washington, Dutchess county, and was a
farmer by occupation. After their marriage
the parents located at Salt Point, where the



father engaged in farming until called from this
life in 1889. His estimable wife still survives
him. Politically, he was in earl}' manhood a
Whig, and, upon the abandonment of the old
party, cordially endorsed the Republican prin-
ciples, which he ever afterward sustained. He
was prominent in the public affairs of the
county; having served one term as justice of
the peace of Pleasant Valley township, and
two terms as president of the Dutchess County
Agricultural Society. He was a man of ster-
ling integrity, and possessed great force of
character, which won for him the confidence
and esteem of the community in whicb he
lived. The parental household included five
children: Eva, George H., Augustus, a prom-
inent oculist of Hartford, Conn., who was
graduated from the Homeopathic Medical Col-
lege, of New York City; Milton H., a well-
known physician of Salt Point; and J. Thorne,
who is station agent and telegraph operator for
the Poughkeepsie & Eastern R. R. Co. , at
Pine Plains, Dutchess county.

At Salt Point our subject spent his boy-
hood days, where he attended the district
schools, and later was a student at a private
school in New Hampshire. Going to Chatham,
Columbia Co., N. Y., he was there employed
as a salesman in a dry-goods store for about
five years. He was afterward with Luckey,
Piatt & Co., and Donald, Converse & May-
nard, of Poughkeepsie. On coming to Wap-
pingers Falls in 1880, Mr. Angell formed a
partnership with William A. Clapp in the dry-
goods business, which connection lasted for
three years, since which time our subject has
been sole proprietor, and has ever been prom-
inently connected with the business interests of
the place.

In 1882, Mr. Angell married Miss Margaret
J. Stevenson, a daughter of Thomas Steven-
son, a comb manufacturer, and a niece of
George Stevenson, a prominent resident of
Dutchess county. One son graces this union,
Wintield Thorne. In politics, Mr. Angell is a
firm supporter of the Republica party, and has
taken a prominent part in public affairs, always
lending his influence to promote the best in-
terests of the community. His personal in-
tegrity, both in private and public life, is of
the highest order. He is endowed with a
clear, well-balanced intellect, sharpened by a
sound education and keen powers of observa-
tion. Both himself and wife are consistent
members of the Presbyterian Church, in which



644



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHIVAL RECORD.



he is serving as deacon, and he is at present

one of the trustees of the Grinnell Library, at
Wappingers Falls.



EDMUND NELSON LANDON, an enter-
prising and successful merchant of Miller-
ton, Dutchess county, was born November 23,
1852, at Town Hill, Salisbury, Conn., which
has been the home of the family for more
than one hundred years. The family estate
there is at present in the possession of acousin,
having been continuously passed from heir to
heir since Colonial times without a single trans-
fer by deed. Mr. Landon is the si.xth generation
in direct descent from a Landon who came from
Wales to Connecticut sometime in the seven-
teenth century, and after a short stay in Litch-
field settled at Salisbury. A son, Capt. James
Landon, who was born there about 1700, and
lived until 1773, was a member of the Colonial
legislature in 1759, and justice of the peace
about the same time. His title was gained by
serving in the Colonial militia. He married
Mary Reed, and had twelve children, three of
whom were named: Ashbil, David, Joel.
Capt. Ashbil Landon, our subject's great-
grandfather, who died in 1838, was also an
officer in the militia, and was a prominent
man of his time. He lived on Tory Hill, so
called from the loyalty of his family to the
British government during the Revolutionary
war. He married Lorain Chapman, by whom
he had six children: Betsey, Letty, William,
Horace, Edmund and James.

Edmund Landon, our subject's grandfa-
ther, was born in 1790, and died in 1845. He
was a farmer, as nearly all his family have
been, and was fairly successful in that occupa-
tion. He was twice married, first to Sylvia
Fitch, who died leaving four children: Nel-
son, Fitch, Abigail and Ann. His second wife
was Sarah Lord, who survived him several
years, dying in 1862. She had four children:
Ashbil, Thomas Newton, George and Asa.
Thomas Newton died at the age of eleven.

Nelson Landon, our subject's father, was
born in 1817, and died in 18S7, his life having
been passed in agricultural pursuits. He
owned a farm of 200 acres, acquired by his own
efforts, and gave but little attention to public
affairs, preferring a quiet life. He was, how-
ever, a well-informed man of broad ideas, a
Whig in political faith during his early years,
and later a Republican. His wife was Mary



Raymond, daughter of Gershom Raymond, of
South Norwalk. This family was of French
descent, the name being at one time Raiment.

The first ancestor of the American line was
one of the founders of South Norwalk. and one
of the original patentees of the land there.
Seven children were born of this marriage:
Fannie Reed, Mary Ella, Edmund Nelson,
Raymond Fitch, Jennie (deceased), Horace
and Angeline.

Edmund N. Landon received a good edu-
cation in his youth, attending first the district
schools of the neighborhood, and later the
academies of Lakeville and Lime Rock, Conn.
After leaving school, in 1874, he taught at
Orr Hill (one term), Sharon and Salisbury,
and then began clerking for W. B. Hawley,
at Sherman, Conn., in a general store. There
he remained about six years, and then became
traveling salesman for J. L. Clark & Son,
manufacturers of carriages, Oshkosh, Wis.,
and for two years represented them in the east-
ern and middle States. He then traveled for
the house of L D. Ware, of Philadelphia,
manufacturer of varnishes and japans, and
later for the Ware Brothers, publishers of the
Carriage Monthly, remaining with them
four years. In 18S7, he left "the road" to
take a position in the store of C. B. Dakin &
Co., of Sharon, Conn., and early in the follow-
ing year became to Millerton, where he opened
a general store on the ist of April, under the
firm name of E. N. Landon & Co. In 1893
he sold this business to Hoag & Reefer, and
bought a store building of Julius Benedict, in
which he established his present business as a
dealer in fiour, feed, grain and coal. He has a
large trade, extending for a considerable dis-
tance around Millerton, and amounting to
about forty thousand annually. His keen
judgment and energetic methods have insured
his success in his undertakings, and he has a
high standing in business circles.

On March 30, 1887, Mr. Landon married
Miss Adelaide Cross Barker, daughter of Henry
Barker, a well-known resident of White Creek,
Washington Co., N. Y. , and they have one
daughter, Adelaide Barker Landon. On na-
tional political (juestions Mr. Landon is a Re-
publican, but on local issues he votes independ-
ently, giving his support to the "best man."
He has repeatedly been urged to enter the po-
litical field himself, but has declined to do so,
and on one occasion when elected justice of
the peace he did not qualify, as he did not



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



645



wish to take the office. He takes a hearty in-
terest in local improvements, however, and is
always ready to promote them in a quiet way.



;^ENRY BODENSTEIN, a prominent and
|rl worthy citizen of Staatsburg, is exten-
sively engaged in the manufacture of ice tools,
having a large plant in that village. He was
born September 28, 1S52, in Nesselreden,
Hessen, Germany, a son of John H. and
Dorothia (Boerner) Bodenstein, natives of
the same place, and of whom mention is made
elsewhere.

In 1858 our subject came to America with
his parents, and in the common schools of
Staatsburg, Rockland Lake, N. Y., Jersey
City, N. J., and Athens, N. Y. , he received
his education. At the age of sixteen he left
the school-room in order to start out in life
for himself, and for two 3'ears he worked at
cigarmaking in Hudson and Athens, N. Y.
At this time his father was much in need of
help, so he decided to learn the trade, and ac-
cordingly entered the establishment of his
father, who was then in the manufacture of
ice tools in Staatsburg. He gradually
worked his way upward until he became mas-
ter of every department of the business, and
remained in his father's employ from 1868 to
1875. After the latter's death he, with his
brother, continued the business for the estate
until 1877, and then formed a partnership
under the firm name of J. G. Bodenstein &
Brother. In 1887, the name was changed to
J. G. & H. Bodenstein, and the firm con-
tinued to do business until March 22, 1890,
when the co-partnership was dissolved. Our
subject has since conducted the business alone
at the same stand where his father carried on
operations, and has built up a large trade
which extends over the whole country.
While the name Bodenstein is a guarantee as
to workmanship and the quality of material
used in the manufacture of their tools by the
use of improved machinery, he has increased
the facilities for getting out ice tools.

In 1879 Mr. Bodenstein was united in
marriage with Antoinette Podrabski, and to
them have been born eight children: Clar-
ence Henry, Charles Irving, Morgan, Harriet
Eliza, Sarah Margaret, Ernest Frederick
Adam, Laura Antoinette and Louise Amelia.
Formerly our subject cast his ballot with the
Republicans, but is now a strong Prohibition-



ist, as that party embodies his views on the
temperance question. He and his wife are
faitliful members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, in which he has served as trustee and
steward. Socially he is identified with Rhine-
beck Lodge No. 432, F. & A. M.



WILLIAM C. ARMSTRONG is one of
the popular and esteemed citizens of

Pleasant Valley. Though his connection with
the history of Dutchess county extends over a
period of thirty-three years, he was in his ear-
lier life an extensive traveler, and thereby be-
came a man of broad mind and liberal views.
He was born in New York City October 24,
1830, but for many generations his ancestors
had lived in Scotland. His father, Henry
Armstrong, an only child, was born in Glasgow,
Scotland. He wedded Mary Clifford, and
shortly afterward sailed for New York, where
both he and his wife died of cholera in 1837.
The}' were members of the Presbyterian
Church, and people of genuine worth. Their
family included five children: John A., an en-
gineer, residing in New York City; William C. ,
subject of this review; Thomas, who carried on
harness-making in Syracuse, N. Y., but is now
deceased; Henry, also deceased, who was an
engineer of New York, and ran on several
river boats; and Elizabeth, deceased.

Mr. Armstrong, whose name introduces
this review, spent his boyhood days in his na-
tive city, and is indebted to its public schools
for his educational privileges. There he re-
ceived his training as an engineer, working in
the Novelty Iron Works for twelve years, and
in the Cold Springs foundry for three years.
He afterward became engineer on the steamer
" Golden Gate," running between Panama and
San Francisco, Cal., his service in that line
covering a period of one year. He was then
employed to construct the river passenger boat
"Talca," for the government of Chili, and
made his headquarters at Valparaiso in that
country. He next went to Cuba, where he
took charge of a sugar plantation, thus spend-
ing the winter seasons for nine years. During
this period he purchased machinery to the
value of many thousand dollars in Newburg,
N. Y. , and sent to the island of Cuba. His
extensive travels gave him a knowledge of the
regions which he visited, that any amount of
reading could not have done, and he can re-
late many interesting incidents concerning the



646



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



places he ha« visited. He is a man of com-
prehensive business powers, of ceaseless activ-
ity and enterprise, and the success he has
achieved is the merited reward of bis own
labors.

Mr. Armstrong has been twice married.
He wedded Elizabeth Scott, a native of New-
York, who lived only a few years. They had
two children, but one died in infancy, and
Emma is also now deceased. She was the
wife of Frederick J. Fay, of Brooklyn, pay-
teller for the Union Trust Company, of New
York. In 1862 Mr. Armstrong married Hes-
ter I. Seaman, a native of Pleasant Yalley,
and a daughter of Egbert C. and Eliza (Van-
Wagner) Seaman, the latter a native of Dutch-
ess county. The father was a harnessmaker
of Pleasant Valley. In 1863 Mr. and Mrs.
Armstrong located in this place, and their home
has been blessed with two daughters, Clara
and Bessie, the former now the wife of Har-
vey G. Ward, who is engaged in the practice
of law in New York City, but resides in Ridge-
wood, N. J. Bessie became the wife of
George Rutherford, a music teacher and dealer
in music, Poughkeepsie.

Since locating in Pleasant Valley, Mr. .-\rm-
strong has conducted a hotel, and his pleasant,
genial and courteous manner, combined with
honorable dealing, makes him a popular land-
lord and his house a favorite with the travel-
ing public. He is also a dealer in coal, and
has an extensive trade among the citizens of
Pleasant Valley. Public-spirited and progress-
ive, he manifests a commendable interest in
everything pertaining to the welfare of the
community, and is found a liberal supporter
of all enterprises calculated to prove of public
benefit. He would be a valued addition to any
community, and his fellow-townsmen hold him
in high regard.



CHARLES A. STEPHENS, one of the
most enterprising business men of Miller-
ton, Dutchess county, was born December 14,
1 85 1, in Morrisania, then in Westchester
county, but now a part of New York City.
The family originated in Scotland, his grand-
father, Thomas Stephens, having emigrated
from that country in 1821, accompanied by
his wife, Margaret Perkins, daughter of Thomas
Perkins. He located in New York City, where
he followed the trade of ship carpenter until
his death, in 1S35; his wife died in 1827.



They had three children — Thomas, who was
drowned; John, our subject's father, and Mar-
garet, who married H. Higgirvson, a builder.

John Stephens was born in New York City
August 6, 1822, and at an early age found
employment in the Morrisania Railroad Car
Shops. His unusual ability soon attracted the
notice of the officials, and he was promoted to
a position of responsibility; in 1859 was trans-
ferred to Dover Plains and placed in charge of
the car repairing department, where he re-
mained until he retired from active business,
in 1892. At that time the Harlem road ac-
cepted his resignation with reluctance, not-
withstanding his advanced age. He was a
well-read man, a close observer and original
thinker, and could have made a success of
almost any enterprise. Although he has al-
ways been a stanch Republican in principle,
he has taken no part in political work. He is
an active worker in the Masonic Lodge of
Dover, and is a regular attendant of the Bap-
tist Church. His first wife was Miss Anna
Reed, daughter of James Reed, of New York
City, who died at the age of twenty-seven,
leaving three children: Thomas, born in 1849,
died in 1869; Charles Anthony, our subject;
and John George, born in June, 1856, is now
the agent of the Harlem railroad at Fordham,
and a dealer in electrical appliances for domes-
tic use. In 1858 Mr. Stephens married, for
his second wife. Miss Jane Reed.

Charles A. Stephens attended the district
schools near his home for some time, and later
spent two or three years in the Dover Plains
Academy. When he was about sixteen years
old he became a clerk in B. F. Chapman's
coal and lumber yard at Dover Plains, and in
the following year went to Poughkeepsie, as
clerk in the dry-goods store of \V. H. Broas.
Here he worked for a year and a half, when,
his health failing, he returned to Dover.
While recuperating, he studied medicine with
Dr. Berry, of Dover Plains, for two years, but
decided that he would not follow the profes-
sion. He had also gained a knowledge of
telegraphy in the meantime, and in February,
1873, was appointed agent of the Newburg,
Dutchess & Connecticut railroad, at Fishkill,
and in the spring of 1 874 took a similar position
at Sylvan Lake. He lived at that place for
thirteen years, and was postmaster under Pres-
ident Arthur and, later, under President Harri-
son. He was also engaged in the coal business
there, and owned and operated a farm of fifty



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Ul



acres for about ten years, while for some time
he was a conductor on the Clove Branch rail-
road. In 1887 he moved to Fordham, and
bought an express business in New York City,
which he sold after seven months. He then
took a position as telegraph operator at White
Plains, but after four months there he returned
to his old situation at Sylvan Lake, where he
remained until August, 1894, when he was
transferred to Millerton. In addition to his
work as station agent there, he is the repre-
sentative of the New York Life Insurance
Company, and since September, 1894, has
been a member of the well-known firm of
Landon & Stephens, the leading wholesale
and retail coal dealers.

Mr. Stephens is a firm believer in the prin-
ciples of the Republican party, and in local
affairs is an active and progressive worker,
seeking always to secure the nomination and
election of good men. He has taken great in-
terest in educational matters also. He belongs
to the Reformed Dutch Church at Hopewell,
and is a member of and officer in Webatuck
Lodge No. 480, F. & A. M.

Mr. Stephens married Miss Helen E. West-
cott, by whom he has had two children —
George Westcott and Helen Anthony. Mrs.
Stephens is a descendant of two of the oldest
families of the town of Fishkill — the Westcotts
and the Scofields. Her father, the late George
W. Westcott, a son of Abram W. Westcott,
a pioneer farmer, was a prominent man of that
locality, the owner of a fine farm, devoted
largely to fruit raising, and for some years a
leading merchant at Glenham. His influence
in local affairs and in the Democratic organiza-
tion was marked, and he held the offices of
supervisor and assessor for a number of years.
He died in December, 1891, in his seventy-
ninth year. He was twice married, first to
Miss Helen Mills, by whom he had five chil-
dren — George, Elbert, Matilda, Adaline, and
Abram; and, second, to Miss Jane E. Storm,
of Stormville. Two children were born of
this union — John and .Helen — the latter of
whom and her half-sister, Matilda, are now
the only survivors of the family.



OBERT MATTHEWS. This gentleman,
who spent his early manhood in active
business, mainly in agricultural pursuits, is
now living retired at Wappingers Falls,
Dutchess county. A native of that county,



he was born in the town of Poughkeepsie,
November I, 1825. His paternal great-grand-
father was born in either Ireland or Scotland,
and, on crossing the Atlantic to America, lo-
cated in Dutchess county, where he carried on
farming as a life work. When the colonists
took up arms against the mother country, he
joined the ranks of the Continental army, and
was killed in battle.

Samuel Matthews, the grandfather of our
subject, was born in the town of Poughkeep-
sie, September 25, 1756, there grew to man-
hood, and followed the occupation of farming
and carpentering. He married Mary Comp-
ton, of Canada, and they became the parents
of four children: John, who became a farmer
in the town of Poughkeepsie; Robert, the
father of our subject; Mary, who became the
wife of Isaac A. Willsey, a farmer of Albany
county, N. Y. ; and Jane, who died when
young. The family were members of the Re-
formed Dutch Church.

Robert Matthews, Sr., was also born in
the town of Poughkeepsie, on December 22,
1788, and was there reared upon a farm. He
was married to Jane Jaycox, who was born
March 3. 1794, in the same town, and was a
daughter of Benjamin and Gertrude Jaycox,
the former a native of Dutchess county, and a
farmer by occupation. Shortly after their
marriage they located upon a farm in the town
of Poughkeepsie, where they reared their chil-
dren, six in number, namely: Samuel, who
throughout life engaged in farming in that
town; Maria, who married Harvey Van Dyne,
a farmer of the same town; Jane Ann, the
widow of Henry Willsey, of Albany county,
N. Y.; Robert, of this review; Harriett, who
married H. Ferdon, a farmer of Poughkeepsie;
and John, who still carries on agricultural pur-
suits in that town. The father's death oc-
curred May 4, 1872, and the mother departed
this life December 20, 1857. They were both
earnest members of the Reformed Dutch
Church, and in politics he was a Democrat.

At the schools near the home farm our sub-
ject received his education, and on reaching
manhood was married December 20, 1865, to
Olive Goodsell, a native of the town of Dover,
Dutchess county, where the births of her par-
ents, Elliott and Beulah (Thompson) Goodsell,
also occurred. Isaac Goodsell, her paternal
grandfather, came to this country from Man-
chester, England, and on the maternal side
also she is of English descent. Upon his mar-



648



COMMEMORATIVE BIOOBAPHICAL RECORD.



riage Mr. Matthews located upon a farm in
Poughkeepsie town, which he operated until
his removal to Wappingers Falls in 1874,
since which time he has lived retired from
active labor, enjoying the fruits of his former
toil. He votes the straight Democratic ticket.
Both himself and wife are prominent people
of the community, and receive the warmest
confidence and esteem of their fellow-citizens.



LeGRAND graham, of Clinton Hollow,
/ a miller by trade, and one of the most

popular auctioneers in Dutchess county, was
born in the town of Ghent, Columbia county.
May 14, 1847.

The late Mrgil B. Graham, our subject's
father, was a native of Connecticut, born
June 29, 1795. He was educated in Rhode
Island, and when a young man came to Ghent,
where he followed the trade of cradle and
wagon making. He possessed a fine intellect,
and was a great reader, taking especial inter-
est in political science. He was a soldier in
the war of 18 12. After his removal to Col-
umbia county, he married Miss Elizabeth
Miller, who was born in 1803, and died in
1896, in the ninety-third year of her age, at
the home of our subject, who is the youngest
of her eleven children. The names of the
others are: Charles H., Gertrude, Franklin,
Abner, William, Sarah, Sylvester, Eliza, Jane
and Almon. Of these only Gertrude, Frank-
lin, and the two last named are now living.

The early education of LeGrand Graham
was acquired at Ghent, Columbia county, and
at Clinton, Dutchess county. For some time
he taught school, working on a farm during
vacations, and for a year and a half he con-
ducted a store at Clinton Hollow. In 1864
he enlisted in the First New York Mounted



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 125 of 183)