J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 138 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 138 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


711



reaching maturity married Sarah Van De-
Water, whose birth occurred in the town of
Fishkill, July 25, 1808. Her family was also
of Holland origin, and her father was a fruit
grower of the town of Fishkill. She was the
second in his family of four children, the others
being Myers, a farmer of that locality; Phoebe,
wife of Nelson Lounsbury, also an agriculturist;
and Susan, wife of Stephen Scofield, a resident
of Poughkeepsie, N. Y. On their farm in East
Fishkill five children were born to Mr. and
Mrs. Peter Anderson, namely: Amanda, wife
of William B. Roe, a farmer; Myers, who en-
gaged in agricultural pursuits in both the town
of Beekman and East Fishkill, and died Sep-
tember 12, 1872; Sarah, wife of William E.
Brinkerhof?, who is engaged in the nursery
business; John P., of this sketch; and Eliza-
beth, wife of William H. Jaycox, a farmer of
East Fishkill. The father, who was an ear-
nest Democrat in politics, died in 1890; his
wife had departed this life in 1882.

In the usual manner of farmer-lads, our sub-
ject spent his childhood, and on reaching his
majority went to New York City, where he en-
gaged in the wholesale liquor business on
Fifty-first street and Ninth avenue for about
six years. In 1865, however, we find him in
the town of Washington, Dutchess county,
where he purchased his present farm.

On November 15, 1859, Mr. Anderson was
married to Miss Hannah M. White, a native
of Dutchess county, N. Y. , and a daughter of
Alfred and Eliza (Brownell) White, farming
people of that county. The founders of the
family came from England, and her paternal
grandfather, Charles White, was a leading
farmer of Greene and Dutchess counties. Her
parents later came to the town of Fishkill,
Dutchess county, where they reared their fam-
ily of four children: Deborah, wife of Myers
Anderson, a brother of our subject; Hannah
M. ; and Charles L. and William, both de-
ceased. The father's death occurred April 3,
1880, and his wife, who survived him some
years, died January 7, 1892.

Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs.
Anderson: Alfred P., who died at the age of
four years; William R., who is married and
has been commissioner of schools for six years;
Alfred J., a resident of the town of W'ashing-
ton; and Eliza W., wife of Leonard Davis, a
farmer. The parents are both consistent and
faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal
Church, and in politics Mr. Anderson affiliates



with the Democratic party. He is quite prom-
inent in public affairs and has been elected
supervisor of his town, which office he held for
two terms, and has also been road commis-
sioner.



SANFORD JARVIS BARTLETT is a
worthy representative of the farming in-
terests of the town of Amenia, Dutchess
county, and in all of life's relations has been
known as an honorable, straightforward man.
He v/as born December 29, 1842, on the old
family homestead, where he still resides, and
comes from a family that has taken an active
part in promoting the welfare and upbuilding
of the county.

The first of the family to locate within the
borders of Dutchess county was Daniel C.
Bartlett, the great-grandfather of our subject.
He was born at Redding, Conn., and was the
son of Rev. Nathaniel Bartlett, a Congrega-
tional minister, who located at Redding, May
23, 1753. and died January 10, 1810, at the
age of eighty-three years. He had three
daughters, Anna, Eunice and Lucretia. When
the colonies took up arms against the mother
country. Rev. Bartlett gave Daniel his sword
on the Sabbath day with the instruction to
fight for the freedom of his native land. He
was with Montgomery at the battle of Quebec,
and was at the capture of Fort St. John in
November, 1775, and witnessed the burning
of Danbury, Conn., in 1777. In 1803 he
bought of Joel Gillett the farm in the town of
Amenia, which now belongs to our subject.
In his family were five children; William,
Collins, Mrs. John Barker, Mrs. Thomas
Paine and Mrs. William Paine. Sanford J.
Bartlett has in his possession the gun bearing
the initials of his great-grandfather, Daniel C.
Bartlett, and which the latter probably carried
and used during the Revolutionary struggle.
He also has the original pictures of his great-
great-grandparents, Rev. Nathaniel Bartlett
and wife.

William Bartlett, the grandfather of our
subject, was born February 13, 1781, and
spent most of his life engaged in farming in
the town of Amenia. On November 12, 1804,
he married Miss Clarissa Sanford, who was
born February 23, 1786, and died August 12,
1838. His death occurred December 10,
1 82 1. In their family were three children:
William S., the father of our subject; Henry



712



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPIIICAL RECORD.



E., who was born August ii, 1813, and died
December 27, 1832; and Clarissa Wade, who
died May 11, 1863. at the age of {ortj - t\vo
years.

William S. Bartlett, the father, was born
in the town of Amenia, January 23, 1809, and
was united in marriage October 13, 1830, with
Miss Jane E. Reynolds, who was born on
Christinas Day, 181 2, and was the daughter of
Jonathan P. Reynolds. Her death occurred
June I, 1 88 1, and on the 6th of the following
November the father also passed away. Their
four children were: Jonathan R. , born July
15, I S3 1, married Octobers, 1863, to Hannah
L. Grant, and died September 8, 1872; Ade-
laide Amelia, born January 10, 1836, died
April 27, 1838; William H., born February 14,
1839, married October 5, 1863, to I^avina
Culver, and is now a prominent resident of
Amenia; and Sanford J.

The early life of our subject was passed in
the usual manner of farmer boys, and, after
attending the district schools for some time, he
completed his literary training in the Amenia
Seminary. Since laying aside his te.xt books,
he has devoted -his time and attention to agri-
cultural pursuits, operating the old family
homestead in the town of Amenia.

AtHridport, Vt., March 12, 1873, Sanford
J. I^artlett married Mary \J\z7.\e. Hill, daughter
of David Edgar Hill, and they are the parents
of two children: \\'illiam Edgar, born Febru-
ary 14, 1874; and Sanford J., born August 14,
1876. In his political views, Mr. Bartlett is a
Republican, but takes no active part in public
affairs, aside from performing his duties of cit-
izenship.



CHARLES H. TRH^P, M. D., a well-known
physician and surgeon of Clinton Corners,
Dutchess county, has been engaged in the
practice of his profession there during the past
twelve years, meeting with remarkable success.
The Doctor was born in the town of Wash-
ington, Dutchess county, on Christmas Day,
1855. His paternal grandfather, John S.
Tripp, also a nati_ve of Washington town, by
his marriage with Sarah Deuel had two sons:
Seneca, the father of our subject; and Isaac.
His second union was with Sarah Haight, and
by her he had a son: Egbert. The grandfa-
ther spent his entire life in farming in the town
of Washington, and was very successful in his
operations, so that at the time of his death the



value of the property to be divided among his
sons amounted to about $12,000. The family,
which was of English ancestry, made its first
settlement on Nantucket Island, whence the
descendants came to Dutchess county.

Seneca Tripp was born February 15, 1802,
in the town of Washington, Dutchess county,
where he received a fair education and was
given a good start in life. He was first mar-
ried in that town, October 25, 1821, to Miss
Annie Pratt, who died November 15, 1838,
and to them were born four children: Milo,
deceased; John; and Stephen and Sarah Jane,
both deceased. For his second wife Mr. Tripp
wedded, October 7, 1839, Mary Louisa Sweet,
who was born February i, 1813, also in Wash-
ington town. They became the parents of six
children, namely: Annie S., who was born
October 4, 1841, and died Septembers, 1848;
Silas D., born November 11, 1S43; Delia L.,
who was born April 4, 1846, and died Septem-
ber 19, 1 851; Lydia Anna, who was born Oc-
tober 27, 1850, and also died September 19,
1851; Samuel Mott, born October 22, 1852;
and Charles Henry, the subject of this review.
The father continued to carry on agricultural
pursuits in the town of Washington, until his
death, which occurred December 23, 1876; his
wife died in December, 1890. By birth he
was a Quaker, his parents having belonged to
that Society; he was an active politician, but
held no office, preferring to devote his time to
his business.

The primary education of our subject was
begun in the district schools of the town of
Washington, and he later took up Greek and
Latin under private instruction, in order to pre-
pare himself for the study of medicine, being
ably assisted in his Latin studies by his mother.
In 1678 he entered Bellevue Hospital Medical
College, New York City, where he was gradu-
ated March 15, 1881, and immediately began
practice at Millbrook, town of Washington,
Dutchess county. In February, 1 884, he estab-
lished an office at Clinton Corners, where he
has since prosecuted his profession, and has
secured a large and lucrative practice. Before
entering the college in New York, he had tak-
en up the study of medicine with Dr. John S.
Thorne, of Millbrook. He holds a certificate
of instruction in operative surgery and surgical
dressing under Joseph D. Bryant, now surgeon-
general of the State.

On June 28, 1881, Dr. Tripp was married
to Miss Carrie E. Cunningham, a native of






v^^^^"^-^;^^ ^^^



COMMEMORATIVE BIOOBAPHICAL RECORD.



713



Vermont, and four children were the result
of this union: Louis C. , born March 22, 18S4,
and died August 29 following; Clayton S.,
who was born April 15, and died March 2,
1S88; Mabel A., born April 13, 1889; and
Charles S., born March 21, 1894.

Mrs. Tripp was born July 4, 1866, in
Plainfield, Vt., a daughter of Lewis H. and
Clarinda D. (Kidder) Cunningham, the latter
of whom was born in 1825, in Marshfield, Vt. ,
and died July, 1883. The father was born
February 8, 1822, in Rockingham town, Wind-
ham Co., Vt., and followed the business of
contracting and building. They had a family
of eight children, six of whom are yet living:
Clara, Fred, Nettie, Samuel, Josephine, and
Carrie E.

Dr. Tripp holds membership with the
Alumni Association of Bellevue Hospital, and
belongs to the Dutchess County Medical So-
ciety, the American Medical Association, and
to the Royal Arcanum, of Poughkeepsie, N.
Y. He has been very successful in his prac-
tice, and for three years served as health officer
for the town of Clinton; is examining surgeon
for the New York Life and Mutual Benefit
Life Insurance Companies. He is a member
of the Episcopal Church at Millbrook, and he
and his estimable wife are popular in society,
being numbered among the intelligent and re-
fined people of their community.



/^ EORGE B. KINNEY is one of the old-
\^ est and most highly respected agricultur-
ists of the town of Stanford, Dutchess county.
Tracing the ancestral line of our subject, reach-
ing two hundred and seventy years or more into
the past, we are able, in the light of reliable
records, to follow Henry Kinne, born in 1624,
from Holland to Salem, Mass., where he loca-
ted on a farm in 165 1. It is believed that he
was born in Norfolk, England, where his fa-
ther, Sir Thomas Kinne. lived, having been
knighted by the government for some signal
service rendered, and that following the tide
of emigration through Holland, where they
sought greater religious liberty, but found less
than the fullest freedom, Henry came to Sa-
lem at about the age of thirty years. He was a
prosperous farmer, and was employed to some
extent in ecclesiastical work. His children
were eight in number — three sons and five
daughters.

The second son, Thomas Kinne, from whom



our subject is descended, was born January i,
1656, and May 23, 1677, was united in mar-
riage with Elizabeth Knight, by whom he had
four sons. He died in 16S7.

Thomas Kinne, the eldest son of the above
couple, was born July 27, 167S, and in 1715,
at the age of thirty-seven j-ears, removed to
Preston (now Griswold), Conn., where he
died in 1756. There his grave-stone now
stands on the banks of ,the Pachang river.
He married Martha Peabody^who died Octo-
ber 25, 1747, and they became the parents of
sixteen children — ten sons and six daughters.

Stephen Kinne, the third of this family, was
born at Griswold, Conn., and January 29,
1730, married Priscilla Herrick, by whom he
has six children, namely: Stephen, born De-
cember 18, 1732; Tesse, born May 25, 1735;
Roswell, born May 4, 1737; Nathaniel, born
April 26, 1739; Anna, born June 7, 1741; and
Didymus, born August 7, 1743. The father
of these children was the first of the Kinne
family to come to Dutchess county, N. Y. ,
where in 1740 he located in the northwestern
part of the town of Amenia.

The next in direct line to our subject is
Roswell Kinne, who was born at Griswold,
Conn., but at an early age accompanied his
father to the town of Amenia, where he re-
sided up to the time of his death, August 22,
181 2. He was a prominent citizen of the
locality and served as captain of the militia.
He married Miss Annie Burton, who was born
August 7, 1739. They were the parents of
two children: Roswell and Henry.

Roswell Kinney, Jr., was the father of our
subject. He was born in the town of Amenia,
September 30, 1776, and was united in mar-
riage v/ith Jerusha Rust, who was born in
1788; to them were born the following chil-
dren: Albert, Eliza, Tryphenia, George B.,
Henry and Edwin. All are now deceased with
the exception of our subject. The father was
killed by runaway oxen, August 28, 1821. He
was a strict Presbyterian in religious belief, and
would not work after sundown on Saturday
nights. His entire life was devoted to farm-
ing in his native town. After his death his
widow became the wife of Daniel Lorin, and
to them were born four children, all now de-
ceased, namely: Harriet, Mary, William and
Charles.

The birth of George B. Kinney, subject of
this review, occurred in the town of Amenia,
March 26, 1816, and there his school days



714



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGBAPHIVAL BECOBD.



were passed. He remained upon the old
homestead until his marriage, which was cele-
brated in the town of Stanford, Dutchess
county, October 29, 1840, Miss Eima M.
Tripp becoming his wife. She was the daugh-
ter of Howard and Phebe Tripp, and died in
1867, at the age of fifty years. By their
union were born three children: Elma T. ;
Howard T., and George H. The eldest son,
Howard T. , married Minnie Putnam, and has
two children, Laura and Roswell.

Since iS4oi(^lr. Kinney has resided upon
his present tine farm in the town of Stanford,
and in the community where he has so long
made his home he has gained many warm
friends. He is entitled to the esteem and con-
fidence of his fellow-citizens, which he cer-
tainly possesses in a high degree. His first
vote was cast for the Whig party, but since its
organization has been a stanch Republican.
Religiously, he is a member in good standing
of the Presbyterian Church.



FRANKLIN COLES TOMPKINS. The
subject of this history is one of the prom-
inent citizens of the town of Washington,
Dutchess county, and the owner and proprie-
tor of a fruit farm. He is a native of New
York, born in the town of Scarsdale, West-
chester county, October 5, 1827, and is a son
of Coles Tompkins, whose birth occurred in
Mamaroneck town, that county, in October,
1800. His paternal grandfather, Noah Tomp-
kins, was also a native of Westchester county,
where his father, Elijah Tompkins, who was
from New England, had located at a very
early day. The family was founded in this
country by three brothers, who came from
Wales and made their homes either in Massa-
chusetts or Connecticut.

By trade the grandfather of our subject
was a blacksmith, but his later life was de-
voted to fruit raising in Westchester county,
where his death occurred. By his marriage
with Rachel Coles, a native of Long Island,
he became the father of six children, namely:
Samuel, who followed farming and died in Il-
linois; Elijah, an agriculturist of Westchester
county; Joseph, also a farmer of Illinois; Han-
nah C, who died unmarried; Coles, the fa-
ther of our subject; and Noah, a carpenter of
New York City. In religious belief the family
were Friends.

In early life Coles Tompkins learned the



tanner's and currier's business, which he fol-
lowed for many years in this State, but finally
removed to Illinois, where he passed away.
He married Phcebe Underbill, a native of the
town of Clinton, Dutchess county, and a
daughter of James Underbill, who engaged in
blacksmithing in the town of Clinton. They
began housekeeping in Westchester county.
Only one child was born to them: Franklin
Coles, subject of this review, who was- only
two years old when his mother died. The
Underbill family was of English origin, and at
an early period became identified with the his-
tory of the New World. One of the first of
its members, of which any record appears, is
Captain John Underbill, who took a leading
and prominent part in religious, political and
military affairs. He had come to America
with Governor Winthrop, arriving at Boston
harbor May 18, 1630, in the vessel "John
and Mary," which he commanded, and which
was named in honor of his father and mother.
He espoused the cause of Roger Williams, and
participated in many engagements against the
hostile Indians of that day. He established
the first military company at Boston. In
1667 he bought from the Indians a tract of
land at Matinecock, town of Oyster Bay,
Queens county. Long Island, where he died in
1667, and was buried on the tract.

The childhood of our subject was passed
in Westchester county, and most of his educa-
tion was acquired in the Old Nine Partners
School, in the town of Washington, Dutchess
county. At the age of seventeen, however,
he laid aside his text books and began learning
the carriage maker's trade at Washington Post
Ofifice, which business he followed until 1862,
and for nine years there engaged in mercantile
pursuits. For three years he owned and coff-
ducted a fruit farm of 166 acres in Unionvale,
then returned to that village, now known as
South Millbrook, and there purchased the
Wintinghain property, that comprises twenty
acres of rich land.

On October 31, 1S50, Mr. Tompkins was
united in marriage with Miss Ann Eliza Hues-
tis, a native of the town of Dover, Dutchess
county, and a daughter of Moses S. and Ann
Eliza (Woolley) Huestis, both of English lin-
eage. Her maternal great-grandfather, Jehu
Woolley, was one of the first settlers in Dutch-
ess county, arriving there when onlj' a foot-
path led to Poughkeepsie. His son, Vaniah
Woolley, the grandfather of Mrs. Tompkins,



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



715



became a prominent merchant and farmer of
the town of Washington, and represented his
district in the Assembly.

Six children were born to oijr subject and
his worthy wife, who in order of birth are as
follows: Mary J., wife of Alfred Seeley, now
of Brooklyn, N. Y., but formerly of Washing-
ton town; Hannah C. , wife of Clark A.
Haight, a farmer of Washington town; Phcebe
K., who died at the age of seven years; F.
Walton, who married Mary Parker Dunsher,
of New York City, and lives near Newark, N.
J.; Clara M., at home; and Willard H., an
agriculturist of Unionvale, who married Ruth
Estelle Hawkins, of Oswego, New York.

Mr. Tompkins is considered a representa-
tive man of the town of Washington; he has a
fine character; his motives are governed by
elevated tastes and aims, and he stands well
with his fellowmen. He is frank and open in
the e.xpression of his opinions, and in politics
he is a sound Democrat. He has held numer-
ous local offices of honor and trust, including
those of town clerk and justice of the peace.



JOHN D. TEAL is pleasantly located upon
a farm of io8 acres in the town of Red
Hook, Dutchess county, on what is known
as the "inside road", which runs from the
Stone church to Rock City. The improve-
ments which we see to-day have been effected
by his industry and good management, and he
has brought the soil to a- fine state of cultiva-
tion. The farm buildings are neat and sub-
stantial, and, with their surroundings, present
the picture of the complete country home,
where peace and plenty abound.

David Teal, the grandfather of our subject,
whose ancestors came to this country from
Palatinate, Germany, was a native of Ulster
county, N. Y. He received a common-school
education, and began life as a farmer, which
occupation he followed up to the time of his
death. Early in life he married Miss Rebecca
Sipperly, and soon after they became residents
of the town of Red Hook, Dutchess county,
where their only child, Jacob Teal, was born
in 1804. He was the father of our subject.
His education was such as the district schools
of the locality afforded and he early learned
the trades of blacksmithing and vvagonmaking,
at which he worked more or less all through
his life. He also engaged in teaching school



for a few years. In the early training days he
commanded a company. For his second wife
he married Miss Anna Maria Teal, daughter of
John I. Teal, of the town of Rhinebeck,
Dutchess county, who, though bearing the
same name, was no relative. Two children
were born to them: Mary C. , who became
the wife of William Moul, of the town of Red
Hook, where he is successfully engaged in
farming; and John D., subject of this sketch.

Our subject's birth occurred in the town of
Red Hook, where he entered the common
schools, and, on completing his education, he
succeeded his father, who was otherwise en-
gaged, to the management of the farm, and
thus began life for himself as an agriculturist.
In 1867 Mr. Teal was married to Miss Mary
Rossman. They are the parents of three chil-
dren, all born on the old homestead. Frank
L. , who was educated at the Hartwick Semi-
nary, and, after his graduation from that insti-
tution in 1890, served on the force of civil
engineers engaged in the construction of the
Broadway Cable road in New York City, at
the completion of which he engaged in teach-
ing and land surveying, holding the position of
teacher in the public schools of Germantown
for two years. He then became principal of
the North Germantown Union School, which
position he resigned after two years to enter
upon a course of studies at St. Stephens Col-
lege. Agnes received a thorough training in
music, and is now a teacher of that art. She
is also organist of the Stone Church in the
town of Rhinebeck located near the town line
of Red Hook. Eve Alice completes the family.

John G. Rossman, the grandfather of Mrs.
Teal, was born in Livingston, Columbia Co.,
N. Y. , was there educated, and followed the
vocation of a farmer throughout life. He
married Miss Catherine Best, daughter of Rev.
Lewis Best, a Christian minister of Livingston.
Their family consisted of ten children: Susan
married Reuben Lapham; George married
Johanna Weisman; Jacob was the father of
Mrs. Teal; Margaret married Henry Van-
Etten; Eve married Samuel Lape; Mary mar-
ried Edward Stickle; Ann married Samuel
Shutts; William married Lucy Cunningham, of
Georgia; James remained single; and Edward
died in infancy.

Jacob Rossman was also a native of Liv-
ingston, Columbia county, where he received
a good common-school education, and be-
came an agriculturist. He wedded Miss Eve



716



COMMEilORATIVE BIOGliAPUICAL UECORI).



Patrie, by whom he had two children: Mer-
vin J., who married Mary Gardner; and Mary,
the estimable wife of our subject. Her ma-
ternal grandfather, Christian Patrie, who was
also a farmer, married Mary Pinder, daughter
of Edward Pinder, second son of Lord Pinder,
London. England, and to them were born ten
children: Pamilla married Dr. William Jones;
Rachel married Rensselaer Livingston; Alex-
ander married Clarissa Bennaham; Rufus mar-
ried Jane Stickle; Eve was the mother of Mrs.
Teal; Susan married Samuel Pender; Mary
died at the age of twenty-five years; Edward
married Margaret Potts; Seth married Mary
Patrie, a cousin; and Fannie married Jacob
Miller.



THOMAS WRIGHT, one of the well-to-do
and intluential citizens of the town of
Lagrange, is now occupying a valuable farm
that is conspicuous for the manner in which it
has been improved and cultivated, and gives
every evidence of being the homestead of one
of the most enterprising men of Dutchess
county.

The Wright family is of English origin, and
was founded in this country first on Long



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 138 of 183)