J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 151 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 151 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


marriage of Mr. Rogers and Miss Mary L.
Van Nostrand, who was born in the town of
Hyde Park, Dutchess county, but came to
East Fishkill when quite young. The only
child born of their union, Charles H., died in
infancy. The parents of Mrs. Rogers, Joseph
H. and Mary E. (Berry) Van Nostrand. were
both natives of East Fishkill town, and in
their family were two children, the son being
Fkancis S., a postal clerk on the Hudson
River railroad. The father, who was a wagon-
\ maker by trade, died P^ebruary 29, 1884,
while the mother departed this life April 23,
1868. The former was the only child of
George and Levina (Gildersleeve) Van Nos-
trand. The grandfather of Mrs. Rogers was
also a wagon-maker, and a native of East
Fishkill. There her great-grandfather, Joseph
Van Nostrand, was born, and, after his mar-
riage with Elizabeth Mead, located upon a
farm, where he reared his si.x children — George,
Phoebe A., Helen M., James, Sarah, and Cath-
erine. The father of Joseph, Sr., was George
\'an Nostrand, who came from Holland to the
New World, and located in the town of East
Fishkill, Dutchess county, at a very early peri-
od in its history. His wife bore the maiden



COMMEMORATTVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



779



name of Hiltje Borland. On the maternal
side, Mrs. Rogers is also of Holland origin.
Her grandfather, P'rancis Berry, was a native
of East Fishkill, where throughout his active
life he followed farming, as did also his fa-
ther, Nicholas Berry. The former wedded
Marv Ketcham, of the same township.

Mr. Rogers continued the operation of the
old homestead farm up to the time of his
death, which occurred March 24, 1880, and
his widow has since had its management. It
is an excellent place of 152 acres, which in-
cludes the original tract of one hundred acres.
Politically, Mr. Rogers was a Democrat, while
religiously he belonged to the Reformed Dutch
Church, of which his widow is also a consistent
member. He contributed his full quota toward
enterprises having for their object the general
welfare of the community, and was one of its
most highly respected citizens. His widow
also has the love and confidence of those
who know her.



TTl^AVID B. WARD, M. D., a prominent
J^ physician of Poughkeepsie, and one of
the most able and progressive members of his
profession, was born in Pleasant Valley,
Dutchess county, March 13, 1853, the son of
Alson Ward, now a resident at No. 254 Church
street, Poughkeepsie.

Dr. Ward possesses unusual natural quali-
fications for his chosen calling, and his abilities
were developed by thorough intellectual train-
ing in youth. He prepared for college at
Riverview Military Academy, and after three
years at Dartmouth College, where he com-
pleted the junior year, he entered Hamilton
College, and was graduated from the classical
course in 1873 with the degree of A. B. With
Dr. Parker, of Poughkeepsie, as preceptor, he
then began the study of medicine, and a year
later became a student in the College of Phy-
sicians and Surgeons in New York City, com-
pleting his studies with the class of 1876. On
graduating, in due course of time, he engaged
in practice in Wheeling, W. Va. , and remained
three years; but in 1879 he moved to Pough-
keepsie, where he has built up an extensive
general practice. He has the true scientific
spirit, and keeps fully informed on every ad-
vance in professional research, being himself
an original investigator. His work in micros-
copy is especially worthy of note; he holds a high
rank in the profession not only with the pub-



lic but among his medical brethren, and he is
a leading member of the Dutchess County
Medical Society, and of the city board of
health.

The Doctor is a believer in the principles
of the Republican party, but has never taken
an active interest in political affairs. He was
City Physician from 1880 to 1888, and has
given his influence at all times to measures for
sanitary improvement. He belongs to the
Amrita Club, and to the I. O. O. F., Fall-
kill Lodge. He has never married.



GHARLES C. MORE, a retired merchant
and real-estate dealer, was born in the
town of Blenheim, Schoharie Co., N. Y., Sep-
tember 19, 1828. The name of More first
appears about the third century in the north-
ern part of Ireland, and has been variously
spelled Moore, Moir, Moor and More, but the
last is the proper spelling, Carber Riabha More
being the Father of the first chieftains and
Kings of Scotland. The Mores probably came
first from Norway or Sweden, in Scandinavia.
They were Presbyterians and, later. Re-
formers.

John More, the great-grandfather of our
subject, came to this country and located in
Delaware county, N. Y. , where he followed
the occupation of farming until the breaking
out of the Revolutionary war, in which he en-
listed and served. After its close he returned
to his farm. He was an educated man, taught
school gratuitously, was justice of the peace,
legal adviser, and drew up many legal docu-
ments that are still in existence. He married
Betty Taylor, daughter of Robert Taylor and
Jean Innis. Robert More, the grandfather,
was born at Rothiemurchus, Inverness-shire,
Scotland, July 8, 1772, and followed agricult-
ure exclusively. He married Susanna, a
daughter of David Fellows, and they reared a
family of nine children. Two of Robert's
brothers, John T. and Jonas, were members
of the New York State Legislature.

Alexander More, father of our subject, was
the fourth child, and was born at Roxbury,
Delaware Co., N. Y. , September 14, 1799.
He grew up on a farm, and was the first man
to introduce the method of manufacturing but-
ter in Delaware county. He dealt largely in
that commodity, buying and selling it in New
York City, retiring after several years of suc-
cessful business. He married Miss Sarah



780



COMMEMORATIVM liTOORAPIIICAL RECORD.



Church, who was born at Salem, Washington
Co., N. Y. , January 8, 1802, and they moved
to Rondout, where he died September 16,
1872, and his wife on April 9, 1862. Alexander
was a Democrat in politics, was elected super-
visor of his town, and was ensign in the State
militia.

Charles C. More, our subject, lived in
Schoharie county but a short time, being
moved, at the age of three years, to Ro.xbury,
where he grew up and attended the schools
and academy. In 1850 he went to Rondout
(now Kingston), where he engaged in general
merchandising. After selling his interests there
he went to Moline, 111., where he stayed for a
few years, manufacturing lumber. In 1876
Mr. More came to Poughkeepsie, where he has
since resided. He is owner of many large
farms, and, as he says, " runs them by proxy."

On June 13, 1850, Mr. More married Miss
Sarah C. LaFevre, who was born at Roxbury,
Delaware county, March 4, 1828, and is a
daughter of Daniel and Henrietta LaFevre,
the former of whom was a tanner by occupa-
tion, and descended from persecuted Hugue-
nots, of France, who came to America and
settled in Kingston, N. Y. Mr. More is a
Republican, but has never held office. He is
a member of the Masonic Fraternity, and with
his wife belongs to the Reformed Church, to
which he is a liberal contributor. He is a
IMiblic-spirited man, and believes in the educa-
tion of the masses.

Ira C. Church, father of Mrs. Alexander
More, was born in Massachusetts, and was a
manufacturer of edge tools in Washington and
Delaware counties. He married Miss Abigail
Burnham, and reared a family of several chil-
dren, Mrs. More being the only daughter. The
Church family is of English extraction.



WILLIAM ANTHONY WHITE, super-
intendent of the Lee estate, in the

town of Hyde Park, Dutchess county, was
born at St. Heliers, in the island of Jersey
( Channel Islands), May 29, 1840, and on the
paternal side is of French descent, while the
maternal ancestry were English. His grand-
father, Charles Henry White, belonged to one
of the old families of Jersey. He was a
" warrant officer " in the English navy, and
head sailmaker on a man-of-war.

Henry Charles White, the father of our
subject, was also born in Jersey, served as



gardener for Lord Normandy over ten years;
later served as gardener thirty years for Alfred
George, Esq., Downside, near Bristol, Eng-
land; he wedded Mary Barrett, daughter of
Rev. Robert Barrett, a clergyman of the
Church of England at Withycombe, a small
hamlet in Dorsetshire, England. Four chil-
dren came to bless this union: Aramanta,
wife of Robert Smith, carpenter and builder,
Westbury-on-Trym, England; Henry, who
was a commissioned officer in the English
navy, and was killed at the age of twenty-
two years; William A. is the next in order of
birth; and Charles Henry, who was born
after his brother was killed, learned the trade
of a marble mason in Bristol, England, but
worked as a boss farmer in England and
America, and died February 22, 1896. The
father departed this life on February 13,
1879; the mother, Mary ( Barrett ) White, de-
parted this life December 30, 1883.

William A. White learned the profession
of gardener and florist in England, and be-
came gardener for Walter Daubney, Esq. ,
Cote House, Durham Down, near Bristol,
England, with whom he remained three years,
and during the following two and one-half
years he tilled the same position with Richard
Bassett, Esq., of Bonveston, South Wales,
who was commissioner of public works and
railroads. Removing to Exeter, Devonshire,
England, Mr. White was employed as head
gardener by William Cuthbertson, J. P.,
over three years.

In February, 1871, he arrived in America,
and coming to Staatsburgh, Dutchess county,
June 8, the same year, was appointed gardener
and superintendent of the estate of the late
Lawrence Lee, since which time he has filled
that position to the satisfaction of all concerned.
He is also present owner of the Staatsburgh
Greenhouses, and with his son, Samuel Will-
iam White, is engaged in the culture of the vio-
lets, carnations, etc. The plant consists of
four houses, 2o6x 20; one large connecting
house 30x130; propagating house; and large
boiler house fitted with two large cylinder boil-
ers. The houses are fitted with hot-water
heating, patented by William \. White, who
is also invenior of and patentee of the Acme Hot
Water Boilers used on the estates of Archibald
Rogers andOgden Mills, Esquires, and a num-
ber of other large estates. William A. White
is also the inventor of White's Garden Trellis,
and a number of other useful appliances; also



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPEICAL RECORD.



781



inventor of an automatic hot-water car-heater,
burglar-proof letter-box, etc. He has written
many able articles for horticultural papers,
and thoroughly understands his work in all de-
partments.

Mr. White was married in November, 1861,
to Hester Millard, daughter of Samuel Millard,
of Hutton, near Weston-super-Mare, Somerset-
shire, England, and they have two children:
Edith Annie, wife of Jacob Anderson, of Frank-
lin, La., and Samuel William, who wedded
Ada Johnson, granddaughter of the late John
Bold, of Vineland, N. J., and is now superin-
tending the Staatsburgh Greenhouses with his
father.

Politically, Mr. White is an ardent Demo-
crat; socially, he is a member of Rhinebeck
Lodge No. 432, F. & A. M. He is a man of
great perseverance and industry, and has suc-
ceeded in accumulating some property in Vine-
land, N. J., and at Staatsburgh, N. Y. His
family attend the Episcopal Church.



7R DAM A. STREVEK, proprietor of one of
^^^ the best fanhs of the town of Pine Plains,
Dutchess county, comprising 235 acres of im-
proved land, is numbered among the honored
residents and most substantial agriculturists of
Dutchess county. He has been particularly
wise in his investments, and possesses excel-
lent business capacity, making the most of his
opportunities. He is one of the most public-
spirited and progressive of men, giving his aid
to all worthy enterprises for the benefit of his
town and county.

Sylvester Strever, the father of our subject,
was born in 1822, in the town of Ancram,
Columbia county, N. Y. , and was but a boy
when brought to the town of Pine Plains,
Dutchess county. He has always engaged in
farming, operating his father's place until he
had reached the age of twenty-eight; but for
forty-three years he has made his home upon
a farm of 175 acres at Mt. I'ioss. He has
been more prosperous in his undertakings than
the majority of his neighbors, and has ac-
cumulated a handsome property, owning an-
other farm in addition to the one on which he
lives. He is a man of the strictest integrity,
was a member of the Reformed Dutch Church
at Gallatin, Columbia county, and has always
been very active in Church matters. Politic-
ally he affiliates with the Democratic party.



Mr. Strever was united in marriage with
Phcebe Sheldon, and after her death wedded
Matilda Sheldon, who died in August, 1895.
He became the father of eight children, name-
ly: Clarissa, now the widow of the late Dr.
C. E. Cole; Adam A.; Samuel J.; Monrpe, a
merchant of New York City; Sheldon P., who
is located in the southern part of the town of
Pine Plains; Lewis, who conducts a store for
John Rudd; and Grant and Frank at home.

Our subject received a good education in
the district schools at Mt. Ross, and for one
year, after laying aside his text-books, aided
his father in the labor on the home farm. For
four years he then engaged in the cultivation
of his grandmother's farm for his father, and
for the following two years operated it on his
own account. The next year was passed upon
his father's farm, after which he went to Illi-
nois, where he remained some six months.
On his return he purchased the Nancy Smith
farm, which he conducted four years, and at
the end of that time bought the old Hiserodt
homestead, where he has now lived for eleven
years. On March 18, 1880, he married Miss
Esther M. Hiserodt. They attend the Pres-
byterian Church, and in politics Mr. Strever
is identified vith the Democratic party. He
has capably filled several local offices, includ-
ing that of assessor, in which he served six
years.

The first of the Hiserodt family to locate
in Dutchess county was John Hiserodt. His
son, Hendrick Hiserodt, was the father of
Henry I. Hiserodt, the grandfather of Mrs.
Strever. Henry I. was one of the leading citi-
zens and wealthy farmers of the county, own-
ing at one time about 800 acres. He married
Miss Esther Steckles, by whom he had four
children — three sons and one daughter: Bry-
ant H., father of Mrs. Strever; Harmon;
Ward, a prominent citizen of New York City;
and Esther. After the death of his first wife
he wedded Rebecca Schultz, and to them were
born the following children: Jane, Caroline,
Francis, Christopher, Albert, Sanford and
Backus. Bryant H. Hiserodt was born July
13, I 8 14, in the house in which Mr. and Mrs.
Strever now occupy, and with the exception
of two years he made his home there during
his entire life. He was joined in wedlock
with Lavinia C. Hoffman, daughter of Henry
Hoffman, and they became the parents of two
children: Henry Hoffman, of Millerton, N. Y. ;
and Esther M., wife of our subject. On June



782



COMMEMORATIVE lilOGIiAI'lUCAL RECOUD.



I, 1856, the father was called to his final
rest, and January 2, 1.S94, the mother followed
him to the unknown land.



WILLET J. MARSHALL is an enter-
prising, wide-awake young business

man of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess county, where,
on Garden street, he is successfully conducting
a meat market. His birthplace was Middle-
town, Orange Co., N. Y. , where, on Decem-
ber 16, 1 87 1, he first opened his eyes to the
light. His father, David Marshall, was a na-
tive of Dutchess county, his parents, Hiram
and Hannah (Haight> Marshall, there living
upon a farm, and was the youngest in their
family of seven children, the others being
Susan, who married William Finch, an under-
taker of Hyde Park, N. Y. ; Mary C, wife of
John Van Derwater, a farmer of East Park,
Dutchess county; Jane, who wedded Jacob De-
Groff, an agriculturist of Wappingers Falls,
Dutchess county; Ederette, wife of Jerome
Myers, a mason of Hyde Park; Wiiiet, a dealer
in smoked meats at Newburgh, Orange county,
and Henry, a butcher of that place, and the
senior member of the firm of Henry Marshall
& Sons. The Marshall family is of English
ancestry, and Quakers in religious belief. The
grandfather continued his farming operations
until his death, and was one of the highly-es-
teemed citizens of the county. His wife, who
is still living, has now reached the age of
eighty-six years.

The early life of David Marshall was
passed upon a farm in . Dutchess county, and
on reaching man's estate he was united in mar-
riage with Miss Mary V. Briggs, a native of
the same county, and a daughter of William
Briggs, also of English descent. To this
worthy couple were born two children — Han-
nah, deceased wife of J. M. Osborn, and Wii-
iet J., of this sketch. The parents located at
Middletown, N. Y. , where the father carried
on the butcher's business for some time, and
then went to Denver, Colo., where he was
similarly employed. Returning to New York,
he became owner of three markets in Yonkers,
and on disposing of the same bought a farm in
Hyde Park township, Dutchess county, to the
cultivation of which he has devoted his time
for three years. Finally he removed to
Poughkeepsie, where he engaged in the butch-
ering business until 1895, since which time he
has lived retired, enjoying the fruits of his for-



mer toil. He and his wife are members of
the Episcopal Church, and their circle of friends
is only limited by their circle of acquaintances.
Willet J. Marshall was quite small when his
parents removed to Denver, and most of his
boyhood was passed at Poughkeepsie, where
he attended the Warring Military School, and
later served six years as bookkeeper and cashier
in his father's market. Going to New York
City, in 1892, he formed a partnership with
W. H. Baker in the commission business at
No. 337 Washington street; but at the end of
a year he returned to Poughkeepsie, where he
has since conducted his present market. An
important event in his life was his marriage
with Miss Julia A. Rooney, which was cele-
brated in 1889. She is a native of England,
and a daughter of John Rooney, a cabinet
maker. Three children grace this union —
David B., Mary C. and John R. Politically,
Mr. Marshall affiliates with the Republican
party, giving full adherence to the principles
and doctrines of its platforms, and is a sup-
porter of all interests intended to benefit the
city in which he resides.



JOHN SCHWARTZ. Among the prom-
inent citizens of German birth in the city

of Poughkeepsie, none holds a higher place
in the estimation of the community than the
gentleman whose name introduces this sketch.
He is extensively engaged in the tobacco bus-
iness, and has an enviable reputation for integ-
rity and fair dealing, as well as for thrift and
enterprise.

Mr. Schwartz was born in Bavaria, Ger-
many, September 9, 1839. His father, John
Schwartz, died when our subject was a small
child, and when he was ten years of age he
came with his mother to America, landing at
New York City, where the mother had a mar-
ried sister living, and here they lived for one
year. In January, 1850, the entire family
came to Poughkeepsie. and he entered school
for a short time. He soon became an appren-
tice to learn the cigar business with George
M. Welker, with whom he remained six or
seven years, and on May i, 1864, went into
the tobacco business for himself at No. 315
Main street. He made a success of this enter-
prise, and in 1879 he purchased the store at
No. 313 Main street, where he has carried on
his business ever since. Although having
some retail trade, he is principally engaged in



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPffWAL RECORD.



783



wholesaling, and ships his ^^oods lo all points
in New York as well as to many other States.
His business is the largest of its kind in the
county.

On May 6, iS6o, Mr. Schwartz was mar-
ried to Miss Matilda W. Bayer, a native of
Troy, N. Y. , whose father, Joseph Bayer, was
born in Germany, but subsequently came to
America. Of this union four sons have been
born: Frank J., Charles G., Edward T. and
Albert E. Frank is a druggist in Poughkeep-
sie, and the other sons are in business with
their father, having been admitted to partner-
ship in February, 1889. All are intelligent, en-
terprising young men.

Mr. Schwartz is a Republican, but has
never taken an active interest in political
affairs, and in local elections supports the
best men irrespective of party. He has been
very successful financially, the result of his
own exertions, as he began life a poor boy and
has steadily worked his way up to his present
position as one of the leading business men of
Poughkeepsie.



CHARLES HOAG SMITH, who was called
from this earth in the midst of his useful-
ness, was a native of Dutchess county, born in
the town of Stanford, April i, 181C, and is re-
membered by the people of this section as one
of its most worthy and influential citizens.
His grandfather, Stephen Smith, was an early
settler of the town of Clinton, Dutchess coun-
ty, and by occupation he was a farmer. In his
family were six children, namely: Rufus;
David; Daniel; Harris; Martin; and Abbie,
who became the wife of Solomon Frost.

Harris Smith, the father of our subject,
was born in the town of Clinton, but
spent the greater portion of his life in the
town of Stanford. In 1855 he removed to
Washington town, and the following year pur-
chased the farm on which his son Henry and
daughter Julia A. now reside. As a farmer
he was quite successful, and was a prominent
and representative citizen. He married Anna
Hoag, by whom he had five children: Charles
H. and Stephen (twinsi, Henry Hoag, Jacob
and Julia.

Mrs. Smith was the daughter of Charles
Hoag. Her paternal grandparents were John
and Mercy Hoag, the former born October 5,
1734, and the latter March 16, 1735. They
were married February 22, 1759, and became



the parents of nine children, whose names and
dates of birth are as follows: James H., Jan-
uary 10, 1760; Abel H., December 12, 1761;
Philip H., December 6, 1764; Lucy, March
17, 1767; Amy H., July 2, 1769; Charles H.,
December 25, i77i;RuthH., April 22, 1775;
Tripp H., March 26, 1778; and Mary H., May
23, 1782. The mother of this family died in
1807, at the age of sixty- nine years, and the
father October 4, 181 i .

On November 21, 1793, Charles Hoag was
married to Betsey Denton, who was born April
5, 1772, and to them were born eight children,
whose names and dates of birth are as follows:
Anna Hoag, October 2, 1794; John H., Sep-
tember 27, 1797; James, February 14, 1799;
Henry, May 3, 1801; Phcebe, August 13, 1805;
Ezra, December 11, 1807; Benjamin, Novem-
ber 23, 1810; Deborah H., October 18. 1812;
and Mary, February 25, 1815. The father of
this family was a highly educated man, and
for many years was principal of the Nine
Partners Boarding School, in the town of
Washington, later moving to the town of Pine
Plains, and conducted a private school at
Bethel.

Mr. Smith, whose name introduces this
sketch, was an agriculturist, and spent most of
his life upon a farm in about the center of the
town of Stanford. He was a good, substan-
tial citizen, who took a warm interest in enter-
prises calculated to build up his town, was a
man of sound judgment, and his untimely
death, at the age of thirty-eight years, was
deeply mourned throughout the community.
In 1840 he was married to Miss Jane A. Peck,
who was born November 6, 1819, and they
became the parents of two children: Albert,
born in 1841, was a patriotic young man, and
was one of the first in the town of Washington,
Dutchess county, to enlist in the Union army
during the Rebellion, becoming a member of
the 44th N. Y. V. I. He died December 6,
1862, of typhoid pneumonia, while in the
service; Frances, born in 1843, is at home.

Henry Peck, the father of Mrs. Smith, was
born April 2, 1791, and the early part of his
life was passed in the town of Milan, but he
later became a resident of the town of Stan-
ford. By occupation he was both a farmer
and merchant. He was the son of Loring
Peck, who was born January 19, 1744, and
made his home at Bristol, R. I. He was a
zealous patriot and became a colonel in the
Continental army in the war of the Revolution.



784



COMMEMORAriVE BIOURAPIIIVAL RECORD.



For many years he later served as a member
of the State Legislature. He was a son of



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 151 of 183)