J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 156 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 156 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

about a year, and then spent a few^ months in
the Matteawan Manufacturing Company's
works, but finally found thoroughly congenial
employment in the jewelry store of the late
A. Townsend, where he learned the business
in all its branches. After the death of Mr.
Townsend in 1894, Mr. Phesay remained in
charge of the store for a time, and in Novem-
ber of that year he bought the fixtures from
the heirs and started in business on his own
account at the same location, opening on De-
cember I, 1894, with an entirely new stock,
his choice selection displaying artistic taste as
well as sound business judgment.

Mr. Phesay married Miss Louise Ticehurst,.



daughter of Charles and Elizabeth (Tomlins)
Ticehurst, prominent residents of Matteawan,
and has two sons, Charles Frederick and
George Simms Phesay. He and his wife at-
tend the Episcopal Church, and are among the
leaders in the various social and charitable
activities of the Church. In politics Mr. Phe-
say is a Republican, and he is a member of
Hudson River Lodge No. 57, of the fraternal
order of Knights of Pythias.

EvGBERT DOTY. We are now permitted
'I to touch brietl)' upon the life history of

one who has retained a personal association
with the affairs of Dutchess county since hi?
infancy, and one whose ancestral line traces
back to the Colonial period. His life has
been one of honest and earnest endeavor, and
due success has not been denied him. He is
a native son of the county, his birth having
occurred in the town of Pleasant Valley, Jan-
uar}' 23, 1827; but his entire married life has
been passed in the town of Clinton, where he
owns a valuable farm, highly cultivated and
well improved, with all the accessories to be
found upon a model farm of the nineteenth

Samuel Doty, father of our subject, was
also born in the town of Pleasant Valley, and
was a son of Stephen Doty, an early resident
of that locality. On reaching maturity Sam-
uel was married in the town of Hyde Park,
Dutchess county, to Elizabeth Briggs, and
eight children were born to them, in order of
birth as follows: George, Henry and Martha
(all deceased); Stephen, of Brooklyn, N. Y. ;
Egbert, of this sketch; Joseph, of the town of
Pleasant Valley; Mary, wife of Paul Flagler;
and Hiram (deceased). In his native town-
ship the father continued to follow farming
until his death, which occurred in 1872; his
wife died in 1845. He was a self-made man,
who by sheer force of will and untiring effort
worked his way upward until he has secured a
comfortable competence.

Egbert Doty grew up on the home farm,
receiving his primary education in the district
schools, and later was a student in the Amenia
Academy. On Novenber 19, 1856, he was
united in marriage, in the town of Hyde Park,
with Mary B. \\'ood, a daughter of George R.
Wood, and was called to her final rest March
24, 1892, leaving a loving husband and two
children, besides innumerable friends, to

mourn their loss. The daughter, Josephine
W., is the wife of Abram J. Conover. The
son, Norman J., acquired his education in the
public school of the town of Clinton, and the
Poughkeepsie Military Institute. He still re-
mains upon the home farm with his father,
and on November 5, 1S91, in Clinton town,
he wedded Carrie M. Hicks, a daughter of
George S. and Emma (Foster) Hicks. They
have a son, Foster W., born August 24, 1893.
A man of unswerving integrity and honor,
one who has a perfect appreciation of the
higher ethics of life, Mr. Doty has gained and
retained the confidence and respect of his fel-
low men, and is distinctively one of the lead-
ing citizens of the town of Clinton, with whose
interests he has always been identified.

FRANK P. MEAD. Among the wide-awake
young farmers of the town of Amenia,

Dutchess count}', there is probably none more
energetic and reliable than the gentleman
whose name begins this sketch. He has made
many valuable and useful improvements upon
his place, and has the land under a high state
of cultivation.

John Franklin Mead, father of our subject,
was a native of the town of Amenia, born
March 16, 1836, and died there on the home-
stead farm, September i, 1890. His boyhood
days were there passed, much in the usual
manner of farmer lads, and he attended the
district schools and the Amenia Seminary,
acquiring a good practical education. His
life was devoted to the pursuit to which he was
reared, and he also served as director of the
First National Bank of Amenia, and president
of the Amenia and Sharon Land Co., of North
Dakota. He was numbered among the pub-
lic-spirited men of the county, and was one of
the most interested in its development and
progress. A conscientious Christian, he was a
member of the Baptist Church of Amenia, in
which he served as deacon; politicall\- he was
a Republican, and for one term filled the office
of supervisor of his township. In the town of
Amenia he married Mary Mygatt, daughter of
Ambrose Mygatt, and three children blessed
their union : Emma, now the wife of Jacob
Peters, of Amenia; Edward, of the same place,
and Frank Presson, of this review.

The birth of our subject occurred in the
town of Amenia, December 13, 1869, and on
reaching a sufficient age he attended school at



Perrj's Corners, in Northeast, was later a
student in the Amenia Seminary and the Keed
school at Lakeville, Conn., and completed his
education at the Housatonic Valley Institute
at Cornwall, Conn. On December 15, 1892,
in Amenia town, he was united in marriaj^e
with Miss Laura Belle Bartram, only daughter
of Barney and Laura G. (Culver) Bartram.
He has always turned his attention to agricult-
ural pursuits, and is now operating the old
Bartram farm.

Barney Bartram was born at Redding,
Conn., in i8o8, and was a cattle broker in New
York City the greater part of his business life. ,
In 1867 he came to Amenia, where he built
the present residence of our subject, and
resided there during the summer months, but
the winter seasons he still spent in New York.
At Pine Plains, Dutchess county, he married
Miss Laura G. Culver, who survived him some
time, dying in 1887, while his death occurred
in 1S78. In religious belief he was a Method-
ist, and he was a most highly esteemed and
honored citizen.

THEODORE WHEELER, a prosperous
_ agriculturist, residing near South Dover,
Dutchess county, is one of the sub.stantial citi-
zens of the town of Dover.

His father, Thomas Wheeler, was a well-
known drover and farmer, residing near \\ ing
Station, and owned about 1,000 acres of fine
land. He was born in Dover in 18 14, and in
1837 was married to Rhoda Ann Oney, of Ot-
sego county, who was born in 18 12. They
had three sons: Theodore, Obed and William.

Theodore Wheeler was born in 1837 at the
old homestead in Dover, and, in 1858, he was
united in matrimony with Miss Jane A. Chap-
man. The}- have one sen, Thomas S. Wheeler,
who was born in Dover, May 22, 1862, and
was educated at Peekskill, N. Y. Since his
graduation he has been engaged in business in
New York City as a broker, and he is a mem-
ber of the Produce Exchange of that place.
He married Miss Addie Mayer, daughter of
Gilford Mayer, a well-known insurance agent
of Plainfield, N. J., and his wife, Ophelia.
Mrs. Jane A. Wheeler, was born in Dover,
March 16, 1837, and was educated in the local
schools. She is a lady of unusual ability and
force of character, and is descended from an
old Connecticut family. Her grandfather,
John Chapman, was born and educated in

that State, whence he came to the town of
Dover. He and his wife, Catherine (Briggs),
reared a family of four children: Henry,
Richard, Ann (now Mrs. Bishop) and Sarah
A. (now Mrs. Henry Fierol.

Richard Chapman, Mrs. Wheeler's father,
was a native of the town of Dover, born in
1 8 10. He was carefully educated, and as he
possessed mechanical ability of a high order
he decided to learn the carpenter's trade, which
he followed until he was forty years old. He
then moved to Pawling, Dutchess county, and
engaged in the restaurant business. No desire
for political distinction was ever manifested by
him, but he ardently believed in the principles
of the Democratic party, and never failed to
support them as occasion permitted. He mar-
ried Miss Sarah Wheeler, daughter of Sebas-
tian Wheeler, a prosperous farmer, and his
wife, Phcebe (Wing). The five children of
Richard and Sarah Chapman were: Francis,
Jane A., Sarah L. , Perry M. and Emma M.
Of these, (i) Francis, born July 11, 1835,
was educated in the schools of his native town,
and then engaged in the mercantile business in
Pawling. After some years he went to New
York City as a booi-keeper, and died there.
His wife was Miss Jennie M. Bishop, daughter
of Rev. Bishop. They had no children. (3)
Sarah L. , born May 14, 1839, married Will-
iam B. Ross, a merchant of the town of Dover,
and they have three children: William J.,
Charles (who married Miss Ida Woodman)
and George W. (4) Perry M., born March
27, 1 84 1, engaged in the restaurant business
with his father, after he had completed his
course of study in the local schools. During
the Civil war he served as a soldier in defense
of the Union cause. He married Miss Ann
Thomas, daughter of Charles Thomas, a well-
known farmer and blacksmith of Dover. Five
children were born of this union: Cora T. (now
Mrs. George Daniels), Albert, Ross, Fred and
Emma. (5) Emma M. married George W.
Chase, cashier of the Pawling Bank, and they
have had two children: Nellie T. and George.

CLARENCE E. YOUNG. The subject of
this sketch was born in Poughkeepsie,
Dutchess county, August 14, 1851, and is the
son of Edward H. and Phoebe (Frost) Young,
the former of whom was born in the town of
Milton, Ulster county, and the latter in Dutch-
ess county.



Our subject spent his boyhood on the farm
and attending the public schools and the Dutch-
ess County Academy. After tinishmg his ed-
ucation he worked on the farm, where he is at
present occupied in the business of gardener
and florist. He was married in 1876 to Miss
Rebecca U. Underbill, who was born in Queens
county, L. I. Her father, Jacob Underbill,
was a farmer, and came of Irish ancestors.
Two children have been born to our subject and
wife: Edith M. and Blanch. Mr. Young
has a farm just outside the city limits, where he
raises vegetables, garden supplies and flowers.
He has a fine residence on the place. He is a
progressive citizen, a Prohibitionist, and, with
his wife, is a member of the Reformed Church.

Edward H. Young grew up in Ulster county
and married Miss Frost, who was the daughter
of James Frost, a farmer. They lived for some
time in Ulster county, and then moved to Pough-
keepsie and purchased their farm in 1S50, on
which their present house was built in 1S51.
Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs.
Young: Annie, who married William M. Du-
Bois, a farmer of Charles county, Maryland;
Phoebe, unmarried; Hannah, who died in 1885;
and Clarence E. , our subject. Mr. Young
died in 1878, and his wife in 1S87. He was
a Republican.

Edward Young, grandfather of our subject,
was also born in Ulster county. He married
a Miss Cromwell, and they reared the following
children: John, a farmer in Ulster county, now
deceased; David was a farmer in Pleasant
Valley, and is now deceased; Alexander is a
farmer in Orange county; William is on a farm
in the town of Marlborough, Ulster Co., New

JrrOHN R. BARRETT, the junior member of
Ij the well-known firm of Huineston & Bar-
rett, leading blacksmiths and wagon makers
of Dover Plains, Dutchess county, is one of the
prominent young business men of that village.
He is a native of the place, born in 1865, and
after acquiring his education in the public
schools he learned the blacksmith's trade of
William Barhite, of Amenia. In 1878 he es-
tablished his present shop at Dover Plains in
partnership with Meritt Humeston, and his
success in this enterprise has given him excel-
lent standing in financial circles.

His family is of Irish origin, the home of
his ancestors being at Doneraile, County Cork,

Ireland. James Barrett, his grandfather, was
born and educated there and became a farmer by
occupation. He married Margaret Mahoney and
had five children, of whom the youngest died in
infancy. The others were: James and Mary,
who never married; Ellen, Mrs. James Cullen,
and Richard, our subject's father, who, after
attending the schools of Doneraile until the
age of fourteen, came to America and settled,
in 1851, at Dover Plains. For a number of
years he was employed by the Belding estate,
and then he went to New York City and en-
gaged in the mercantile business for one year,
and, on returning to the town of Dover, fol-
lowed farming during his later years, with J.
K. Mabbet. He always took an intelligent
interest in public questions, but was not act-
ively engaged in politics. He and his wife,
Mary Gorings, reared a family of seven chil-
dren: Maggie, Mrs. William Donovan; Ellen,
Mrs. William Burns; Mary, Mrs. Thomas
Whalen; James, who married Delia Murray;
John, our subject; George, who married Nellie
Dahoney; and Richard, who married Annie

The subject of our sketch found a worthy
helpmeet in Miss Anna Quinlan, a lady of Irish
descent, and their home is brightened by three
children: Frank, born December 21, 1885;
Arthur, September 22, 1890; and Gertrude,
October 6, 1892. Mrs. Barrett's father, Martin
Quinlan, was a native of Ireland, but came to
America in boyhood with his parents, who
located upon a farm in town of Unionvale,
Dutchess Co. He attended the schools of that
locality for some time, and in early manhood
purchased a farm near Burbank, where he still
resides. He married Miss Mary McLaughlin,
who was also born in the Emerald Isle, and
they have eleven children: William, who mar-
ried Sarah Quinlan; Maggie, Mrs. Thomas
Mullen; Daniel, who married Annie Donley;
Martin, Charles, Terrance, Ella and Hattie,
who are not married; Delia, the wife of John
McKenna; George, unmarried; and Annie, now
Mrs. Barrett.

LEXANDER BISHOP, Jr., a prominent
agriculturist of- the town of Wappinger,
Dutchess county, residing near New Hacken-
sack, is one of the most highly respected citi-
zens of that locality, a long life of quiet, unob-
trusive usefulness having gained him the esteem
of a large circle of acquaintances.



His family is among the oldest in Dutchess
county. His great-grandfather, an English-
man by birth, was a pioneer farmer in the town
of Fishkill, where Caleb Bishop, our subject's
father, was born. By occupation he was a
farmer and lime burner. He married Hannah
Phillips, and settled on a farm in the town of
Poughkeepsie, where they reared a family of
nine children.

Gabriel Bishop, their fourth child, grew to
manhood at the old homestead and engaged in
the business of boating for some years. Polit-
ically he was a Democrat. He married Hester
Yates, a native of the same town, and daugh-
ter of John Yates, a well-known hotel-keeper.
Her grandfather came to Dutchess county from
Ireland. After his marriage Gabriel Bishop
settled in his native town, and of his nine chil-
dren the majority located upon farms in Dutch-
ess county. The eldest, William, was a boat-
man on the Hudson; Jackson was a farmer in
his native town; John, Alexander, Samuel and
Caleb all engaged in farming; Mary Ann mar-
ried Joseph Randolph, a jeweler; Catherine
married Charles Deering, a farmer; and Hester
never married. The family has always been
identified with the Kefornied Dutch Church,
and various members have taken an active
part in local affairs.

Alexander Bishop was born February 4,
1820, and lived at the old farm until he was
twenty-four years of age, when he married Miss
Jane Kirklan, the daughter of a farmer of
Greene county, N. Y. , who died when she was
a mere infant. She was adopted and reared
by the Rev. Van Cleef. The young couple
made their first home upon a farm in the town
of Lagrange, but in 1 876 they moved to their
present property, a fine farm of i 10 acres de-
voted to mixed crops. Mrs. Bishop died in
1886, leaving a family of four children: Alex-
ander, Jr., assists his father in the manage-
ment of the farm, and is one of the influential
young men of that vicinity, holding the office
of commissioner of highways; Cornelius Van-
Cleef is an undertaker in Wappinger Falls;
Gertrude and Nellie are at home. Mr. Bishop
has always been an interested student of public
questions, and in politics is a Democrat.

her 8, 1867, in Bucks county, Penn., where
his parents, who were both natives of that lo-
cality, now reside.

William Heaney, his father, has been en-
gaged in agriculture, and in boating on the
canal for many years, and is well known in
that section. In politics he is a Democrat,
and he and his wife. Emily (Buck), are devout
members of the Roman Catholic Church. They
had five children: Henry, a canal man in
Pennsylvania; Isaac, a blacksmith and butcher
by trade; John, who met his death at the age
of twenty-seven in a street-car fire at Tren-
ton, N. J.; Charles S., our subject; and Anna,
wife of George Mich, a boatman, in Bucks
county, Pennsylvania.

Charles S. Heaney spent the first sixteen
years of his life at home, and then began work
upon the canal, contributing his wages, until
he was twenty-one, toward the support of the
family. On attaining his majority he went to
New York City, and for some time ran a barge
for the Montrose Brick Co., but since Decem-
ber, 1 89 1, he has been engaged in the hotel
business at Fishkill Landing, and has also
been interested in the wholesale beer trade as
agent for Quinn & Nolan, of Albany, N. Y.
On July 29, 1896, he added to these lines of
enterprise a cafe in the Opera House block at
Fishkill, his business sagacity being supported
by an apparently limitless energy.

On January 4, 1892, he was married to
Miss Mary Quirk, daughter of Michael Quirk,
a well-known resident of Fishkill Landing,
who is of Irish descent. Two children, Lil-
lian and Ellen, bless this union. In his
political views Mr. Heaney is not hampered by
partisan ties, and his vote is cast according to
the requirements of the times. He is a promi-
nent member of the Church of St. John The
Evangelist (Roman Catholic), at Fishkill
Landing, and is identified with the Catholic
Benevolent League and Catholic Order of

CHARLES S. HEANEY, the enterprising
_ proprietor of the "Oak Hotel and Cafe"
at Fishkill Landing, and of another popular
caf(5 on Main street, Fishkill, was born Septem-

LIVER KEES SMITH. This gentleman
is generally known as one of the substan-
tial farmers of the town of Stanford, Dutchess
county, but he now leases his land, and de-
votes his time and attention to the fire-insur-
ance business, having represented the Conti-
nental Company for about ten years. He was
' eminently successful as a tiller of the soil, and
I is a man of keen intellect, sound judgment





and business ability. His early home was at
Bear Market, in the town of Stanford, Dutch-
ess county, where his birth took place July i,

The paternal grandfather of our subject,
Stephen R. Smith, was born about 176S, in
Rhode Island, where he married Miss Rhoda
Harris. On leaving his native State he came
to Dutchess county on horseback, his wife and
three children accompanying him, locating first
in the town of Stanford, where he followed the
occupation of a farmer, later becoming a
resident of the town of Clinton. He held
membership with the Society of Friends. In
his family of nine children, Rufus Smith, the
father of our subject, was next to the young-
est, and was born in the town of Stanford,
June 8, 1805. In the schools of that town-
ship and at Clinton Corners he received his
education, and he continued to remain on the
old homestead farm for two j'ears after his
marriage. On December 3, 1828, in the town
of Washington, Dutchess county, Mr. Smith
married Elizabeth Thorne, who was born De-
cember 19, 1S08, and they became the parents
of three children, namely: (i) Cynthia T. ,
who married Thomas I. Wing, and they have
two daughters — Annie and Carrie. (2) Caro-
line, who married Welcome Johnson, of Min-
neapolis, Minn., and they have three children
— Frank (who is married, and has two daugh-
ters, Marie and Elizabeth); Elizabeth and
George S. (3) Oliver K., subject of this
sketch. The entire business career of the
father was spent in farming in the town of
Stanford, where he served as supervisor about
1847, and there his death occurred January 8,
1 88 1. He was a member of the Friends
Church. The mother of our subject is a daugh-
ter of Stephen and Sarah (Thornj Thorne,
while her paternal and maternal grandfathers
bore the name of Joseph Thorne and Joseph
Thorn, respectively, although the former was
of French and the latter was of English ori-
gin. Joseph Thorne was born in 1745, and
married Sarah Kees; Joseph Thorn was born
in 1749. The entire life of Stephen Thorne
was passed in the town of Washington, where
he was married, and where were born to him
five children: Anne K.. Cynthia, Elizabeth,
Hannah and Joseph.

Oliver K. Smith, the subject proper of these
lines, acquired his education in part at a school
at New Milford, Conn., m part at the Nine Part-
ners Boarding School, in the town of Washing-

ton, and became familiar with the various
phases of farm life under the capable instruc-
tion of his father. He remained under the pa-'
rental roof until his marriage, when he re-
moved to his present residence in the town of
Stanford. On September 24, 1863, in the
town of Pleasant Valley, Mr. Smith was mar-
ried to Miss Hannah P. Halstead, a daughter
of Joseph G. Halstead, of Clinton town, and
to them were born three children: Lizzie,
wife of Harry Decker, of New York City, by
whom she has one child — Elaine; and Thorne
and Florence, both deceased.

Mr. Smith is a progressive man, pre-emi-
nently public-spirited, and all that pertains to
the public welfare receives his hearty endorse-
ment. For three terms he served as assessor
of his township, being elected on the Repub-
lican ticket, and by the Democratic party was
elected supervisor, filling that position for one
term. He is emphaticall}' a man of enter-
prise, positive character, indomitable energy,
strict integrity and liberal views, thoroughly
identified with the prosperity and welfare of
his town and county. He is a stanch and
loyal friend, fond of good fellowship, and de-
voted to those who have his confidence.

Jjt LBERT R. BRYANT, a prominent young
M^:_ business man of Matteawan, Dutchess
county, is a descendant of an old English fam-
ily long established at Bristol, England, where
many of his ancestors were connected with the
business of hat manufacturing.

His great-grandfather, Richard Bryant,
and grandfather, Jonathan Bryant, were thus en-
gaged throughout their manhood, and his father,
the late George Bryant, who was born in Bris-
tol, learned the same trade there, and on coming
to America, at the age of eighteen, continued it
for many years. He located first at Newark,
N. J., where he met and married Miss Eliza-
beth Simmonds, a native of England, whose
father, John Simmonds, brought his family to
the United States during her youth and settled
at Bloomfield, N. J. The early years of their
wedded life were spent in Newark, but later
they removed to Yonkers, N. Y. , and finally
to Matteawan, where Mr. George Bryant fol-
lowed the hotel business for about seventeen
years. He was a man who took a generous
interest in ever3'thing that pertained to the
welfare of his adopted country, and in politics
was a stanch Republican. He and his wife



were members of the M. E. Church. She
passed to the unseen life in 1871, and his death
occurred March 11, 1888. They had five
children: George H., who is now in the Ma-
rine Hospital at Stapleton, L. I. ; John Ed-
ward, a hatter by occupation ; Lucy, now Mrs.
Newton Quick, of Yonkers; Albert, our subject,
and Robert, who died at the age of five years.

Albert R. Bryant was born at Yonkers, N.
Y., July 7, 1862, and was about five years old
when his parents removed to Matteawan. He
attended school at that place for a time, and
then entered a private school in New York

Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 156 of 183)