J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 158 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 158 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


York City, and died there May 9, 1884; Lettie
E. , who married Henry Burroughs, a farmer
of the town of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess county;
Susan A.; Abraham A.; and Mary J., wife of
Aaron Woodruff, a traveling salesman of New
York City. Before his marriage the father
worked at the carpenter's trade in New York,
but subsequently followed that occupation at
Johnsville and Fishkill, Dutchess county. He
voted the Democratic ticket, and both himself
and wife were sincere and faithful members of
the Reformed Dutch Church. She was called
from this life November 9, 1839, and he passed
away August 28, 1853.



Upon the larm at Johnsville, Abraham A.
Bogardus passed his childhood, early becoming
familiar with the duties that fall to the lot of
the agriculturist, and, in 1862, he and his
brother Adrian purchased their present place,
which was known as the ' ' Horton farm." It
comprises 178 acres of fertile land, and to its
cultivation and improvement our subject has
devoted his time with results so satisfactory
that to-day he is one of the prosperous farmers
of the community. In political belief he is an
unswerving Democrat, and for thirty-three
years he capably filled the office of commis-
sioner of highways. By the exercise of integ-
rity, industry and intelligence, he has become
a substantial and honored citizen, one who
stands high in the estimation of his fellow men.
In religious faith the family hold membership
with the Reformed Dutch Church.



.TOHN F. JEWELL, a prominent agricult-
urist of the town of Clinton, Dutchess
county, is a self-made man who learned in
early years the difficult art of making farming
pay, and has throughout his long life been
putting his knowledge into successful practice.
He was born April 15, 18 16, in the town of
Poughkeepsie, and his family has long been
known in the county, his grandfather, Harmon
Jewell, being an early resident. The last
named had three sons: George, Johi^ and
Henry.

Henry Jewell, our subject's father, lived
to the age of ninety-six years. He was a life-
long resident of the county, and farmed for
many years in the towns of Poughkeepsie and
Lagrange. He was a man of excellent habits,
and a member of the Reformed Dutch Church.
In politics he was in early days a Democrat,
but later a Republican, and he took an active
interest at times in local affairs, serving as
constable for many years. He married Bet-
sey Van Kleeck, and had eight children: (i)
Bernard; (2) Maria (Mrs. Richard Grant);
(3) Martha (Mrs. Jacob Nelson); (4) Cathar-
ine, who married (first) Casper Dusenberry,
and (second) John McNeal; (5) Gertrude;
(6) Eliza (Mrs. Harvey Grant); (7) Henry
E., a resident of Newburg, and married to
Rachel Lewis; and (8) John F., our subject.
Of this family the first and the two youngest
are the only survivors.

Our subject moved to the town of Lagrange
in boyhood, and his school days were spent near



816



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



Lagrange. At an early age he began working for
farmers in that vicinity, and on attaining his
majority he went to the town of Olive, Ulster
county, and followed the same employment
for four years. He then took a farm on shares,
and later bought one in the town of Rosen-
dale, where he lived eleven years. Returning
to Poughkeepsie he spent a year, and in Sep-
tember, 1 868, he purchased his present farm
near Rowland, where he has resided since
March, 1869. He started out in life without
help from his relatives, and his accumulations
are the result of hard work and wise manage-
ment. As a speculator he displays unusual
judgment, and he has dealt profitably in cat-
tle and horses for many years.

Mr. Jewell was married, January 18, 1838,
to Miss Ann Eliza Merrihew, who was born
December 11, 18 16, in the town of Olive,
Ulster county, a daughter of Stephen and
Rebecca (Krum) Merrihew, well-known farm-
ers of that locality. Two children came of.
this union: (n Martha, born October 6,
1839, married Abram Hill, of Newburg, and
has two children — Willet and Mary (Mrs.
Samuel Brown). (2) Andrew, born April 2,
1843, is the proprietor of a livery and board-
ing stable on Main street, Poughkeepsie. He
married Aurelia Cookingham. In politics our
subject is a Democrat, and has been from his
first vote. He is progressive in his ideas,
always ready to help forward any worthy
movement, and he contributes to several
Churches in his neighborhood.



WILLIAM HALL HART, an e.xtensive
fruit grower and farmer in the town of

Lagrange, Dutchess county, was born there
March 3, 1853. He attended the private
schools of Poughkeepsie, and later went to
Dartmouth College, where he was graduated
in 1875, taking the degree of A. B. Return-
ing to Lagrange, he has since given his atten-
tion to his farm. He has a fine orchard, and
makes a specialty of growing apples.

Benjamin Hall Hart, father of our subject,
was born in Hempstead, L. I., February 13,
181 1, and attended school at Richmond, Va.
Later he went to sea on account of his health,
acting as mate on the Liverpool line for six
years. In 1836 he was married at Hempstead
to Miss Elizabeth Nichols, and the following
children were born to them: (i) Mary Amelia.
(2) Edmund Hall married Isabella M. How-



land; they live at Federal Point, Fla., and
have had four children — Theodora, Adelia,
Lucy Eleanor and Amy, the last named hav-
ing died. (31 Walter Nichols married Cor-
nelia D. Storm, and lived at Federal Point,
Fla.; their children are Mary Louisa, Cornelia
Brinckerhoff and Abram Percival; \V. X. Hart
died in 1884. (4) Ambrose Burnham, who
lives at Lake City, Fla. (Walter and Ambrose
each served three years in the Union army,
and each was honorably promoted). (5) Lou-
isa Abigail married Edwin S. Hubbard, of Fed-
eral Point, Fla., and had two children — Edith
Louisa and Ervin Stuart. (6) Elizabeth Emily.
(7) William Hall. In 1839 the father of this
family moved to the town of Lagrange, where
he spent the remainder of his days farming,
e.xcept that he visited California twice, in 1849
and 1850, and spent the winters after 1867 at
his orange grove in Florida. He died in 1875,
a member of the Episcopal Church, a stanch
Republican, and an active and respected citi-
zen.

Seth Hart, grandfather of William H., was
born June 21, 1763, at Kensington, Conn.,
was educated at Yale College, where he was
graduated in 1784, after which he studied med-
icine, and for a time practiced as a physician.
He went in that capacity with the surveying
party that laid out the city of Cleveland, Ohio.
Desiring to become a clergyman of the Epis-
copal Church, he studied to that end, and in

1 79 1 was admitted to the order of deacons, in

1792 to the order of priests by Bishop Sea-
bury. He became rector, consecutively, of
St. John's Church, Waterbury; St. Paul's,
Wallingford, Conn. ; and for twenty-eight years
of St. George's, Hempstead, L. I., at which
latter place he also kept a private school. He
died there March 16, 1832, and his wife, who
in her maidenhood was Ruth Hall, daughter of
Hon. Benjamin Hall, of Cheshire, Conn.,
passed away November 3, 1841. They were
the parents of the following children: (i) Will-
iam Henry, born January 5, 1790, married
(first) Lydia Hubbard Moore, of New York,
and (second) Maria Graham, of Shawangunk,
N. Y. ; he died July 28, 1852. (2) Ambrose
Gustavus, born October 13, 1792, died Octo-
ber 15, 1816. (3) Hannah Burnham, born
July 16, 1797, died in September, 1798. (4)
Henry William, born October 26, 1799, died
January 9, 18 13. (5) Elizabeth Anne, born
May 9, 1809, died December 24, 1840, mar-
ried William J. Clowes, of Hempstead, L. I.,



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



817



and their daughter, Caroline Morgan, makes
her home with our subject (she is well known
as an artist of much talent, and has made
painting her life work). (6) Benjamin Hall.
(7) Edmund Hall, born August 7, 1813, died
August 22, 1838.

Matthew Hart, the great-grandfather of
our subject, was born in Kensington, Conn.,
January 23, 1737, and was married November
15' '759. to Miss Elizabeth Hopkins. He
died in 181 1. The following children were
born to him and his wife: ^fatthew, Seth,
Sarah, Elizabeth (who married Dr. James Per-
cival, by whom she was mother of James G.
Percival, the poet), and Oliver.

Matthew Hart, Sr., great-great-grandfather,
was born in 1690 at Farmington, Conn., and
was married January 10, 1725, to Miss Sarah
Hooker. He died October 30, 1736. Five
children were born: Ruth, Mary, Lois, Oliver
and Matthew.

Capt. John Hart, the great-great-great-
grandfather, was born at Farmington about
the year 1655. He married Miss Mary Moore.
He belonged to the Farmington train-band, of
which he became lieutenant and captain, be-
sides holding other important offices in the
community. He died November 11, 1714,
and Mrs. Hart on September 19, 1738. Their
children were John, Isaac, Sarah, Matthew,
Samuel, Nathaniel and Mary.

John Hart, great-great-great-great-grand-
father, was born in Braintree, England. He
came to America and located at Farmington,
Conn., where one night in 1666 his house was
set on fire by the Indians and he and all his
family, with the e.xception of the eldest son,
John, who, but eleven years old, was away
from home caring for stock on an outlying
farm, were burned to death.

Deacon Stephen Hart was born in 1605 in
Braintree, England, and married (2) Margaret,
the widow of Arthur Smith. About 1632 he was
oneof thefifty-foursettlers of Cambridge, Mass. ,
and was one of the original proprietors of Hart-
ford, Conn., in 1635, it being a tradition that
the name of Hartford originated from a ford
in the Connecticut river which he discovered
and used, and which was called Hart's ford.
He was one of the leading settlers of Farm-
ington, about 1640, where he died in 1683.
He was a man of great force and influence in
public affairs. Si.\ children were bornto him and
his first wife: (i) Sarah, married November

20, 1644, to Thomas Porter; (21 Mary, mar-
53



ried (first) to John Lee. (second) to Jedediah
Strong; (3) John; (4) Steven; (5) Mehitabel,
married to John Cole; and (61 Thomas, born
in 1643, married to Ruth Hawkins.



ISAAC BRYAN (deceased). Among the en-
_ terprising and prosperous agriculturists of
the town of Northeast, Dutchess county, the
subject of this sketch held a prominent place,
maintaining in his day the reputation for en-
ergy and sound judgment which his father and
grandfather had established at an earlier time.
The familj' is of English origin, and the
earlier generations were residents of Newtown,
Conn., where our subject's great-grandfather,
Alexander Bryan, was born. A family record
exists which was written by him in 1759. Ezra
Bryan, our subject's grandfather, was born at
Newtown, November 30, 1740, and was the
first of the family to come to Dutchess count}-.
He became the owner of a large tract of land
in the Nine Partners territory, which since his
death has been divided into several good-sized
farms. He was a cabinet maker by trade, and
engaged for a time in the manufacture of cof-
fins, but later invented a fanning-mill, which
he manufactured on quite a large scale at the
old farm, employing three or four men. As
may be inferred, he was a man of much tal-
ent, noted for his practical business abilitv.
He was a Quaker in religion, and his death
occurred while on his way to meeting, July 9,
1825. He was married May 21, 1761, at
Newtown, Conn., by David Judson, minister,
to Sarah Beck, who was born April 12, 1738,
and died November 19, 1829, and their re-
mains now rest in the family burial lot at
Shekomeko. They had six children, whose
names with dates of birth and death are as
follows: Alexander, March 23, 1762 — Decem-
ber 14, 1 781; Eliza, September 13, 1764 —
October 9, 1842; David, July 18, 1767 — June
30, 1848; Isaac, July 4, 1772— July 30, 1776;
Isaac, August 18, 1776 — June 25, 1854; and
Amos, January 31, 1779 — April 12, 1863.

Amos Bryan, our subject's father, succeed-
ed to his father's business, and carried on the
manufacture of fanning-mills, at the same time
operating a large farm, having inherited the
old homestead and bought in other portions of
the estate. He was successful in business and
prominent in public affairs, and his integrity
and ability won for him the entire confidence
of the community. He helped to settle a



818



COMMEilORATIVE BWORAPUIC'AL RECORD.



number of estates, was a justice of the peace
for many years, and in 1840 was a member of
the State Assembly. He died April 12, 1863,
followed on the 24th of the next month by his
wife, formerly Betsey Finch, of Ancram, to
whom he was married October i, 1804. Nine
children were born of their union, whose names
with dates of birth and death are here given:
Laura, October 5, iSos^May 20, 1831;
Ward, April 12, 1807 — December 14, 1863;
Eliza (Mrs. Henry Sisson), March 16, 18 10 —
September 3, 1884; Ezra, March 4. 1812 —
March 22, 1876; Isaac, .August 25, 1815 — Sep-
tember 14, 1885; James, November 27, 1817
— March 16, 1839; David, September 22,
1 819 — now living; Mary (Mrs. James Carman),
December 9, 1822 — November i, 1853; and
Sarah (Mrs. James E. Mott), April 10, 1825 —
April 15, 1872.

Isaac Bryan was educated at Warren,
Conn., and at Peekskil'1-on-the-Hudson, re-
ceiving a good education for the time, and was
throughout life an intelligent reader on general
topics. He engaged in farming at the old
homestead, but in i860 bought the farm near
Shekomeko where his family now reside. It
consists of 240 acres of fine land, and is said
to be one of the best farms in the town of
Northeast. He possessed excellent business
judgment, and accumulated a large property.
He was a public-spirited man, but although he
was a stanch Republican and greatly interested
in the success of his party, he was no office
seeker, the only position ever held by him be-
ing that of commissioner of highways. He
had been reared a Quaker, but in later years
he attended the Pine Plains Presbyterian
Church. In 1861 he married Miss Mary Hoff-
man, daughter of Henry Hoffman, a well-
known citizen of Pine Plains. Two children
were born to this union: Ward, November
II, 1863, and Edward, September 4, 1866,
who conduct the farm. Edward received a
good English education at the Pine Plains
Academy, and at twenty returned to the farm.
In 1 895 he was married to Miss Angle Smith.



JG. DAWSON, M. D., of Matteawan. The
Dawson family originated in England, and
the first to come to the New World was
William Dawson, who, with his wife, Isabella,
crossed the Atlantic about 1760. According to
family tradition they were p-riends or Quakers,
and fled from their native land in order to es-



cape the persecution to which the followers of
that faith were then subjected. They settled
in Caroline county, Maryland, and being iso-
lated from the P'riends, they imited with a new
society called " Nicholites, " after its founder
and head, Joseph Nichols, of Kent county,
Delaware. This sect was spreading rapidly
in eastern Maryland about the time of their
coming, but by the end of the century it had
merged into the Society of Eriends. William
and Isabella Dawson reared a family of eleven
children: John, Elizabeth, William, Mar-
garet, Jonas, Edward, Elijah, Elisha, Shad-
rach, Frederick and Joseph.

Elijah Dawson, the great-grandfather of
the gentleman whose name opens this biog-
raphy, was born in Caroline county, Mary-
land, March 9, 1764. He married Catherine
Broadway, daughter of Robert and Sarah
(Russum) Broadway, and made his home near
Sandtown, Kent count}', Delaware, where he
died leaving two children — Greenbury and
Sarah.

Greenbury Dawson, the grandfather of our
subject, was a native of Kent county. Dela-
ware, born in April, 1785, and engaged in
farming in the same county, near Camden.
In religious faith he was a Friend. His death
occurred April 6, 1847, and his wife, Mary
Smith, daughter of Major Thomas Smith, died
March 12, 1846. They had six children:
Catherine, William, Thomas, Willard H.,
Mary S. and Ezekiel. None are now living
except the last named, who is a prominent
physician at Baltimore, Maryland.

William Dawson, our subject's father, was
born June 24, 18 17, near Camden, Delaware,
and became one of the most successful agri-
culturists in that region, accumulating a hand-
some competence. He possessed unusual
force of character, and was a leader in local
affairs, and in the Whig party. On December
29, 1840, he married Elizabeth G. Britting-
ham, whose father, a prosperous farmer, came
from England about 181 5, and settled in Kent
county, Delaware. William Dawson estab-
lished his home near Smyrna, Delaware,
where he died, September 30, 1854, but his
widow still resides there. Of their eight chil-
dren our subject was the youngest. Ann M.
and Sarah died in infancy; Thomas G. is a
dentist in California; Mary J. married Dr.
John M. Smith, of Chcswold, Del.; Margarette
married John M. Bishop, a farmer of the same
locality; William H. is an agriculturist in



COMMEMORA TIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



819



Maryland, and Ezekiel is a manufacturer of
butter, at Newark, Delaware.

With this introduction we may the better
trace the history of our subject, who is a
worthy representative of an ancestry noted for
ability and high character. During his boy-
hood Dr. Dawson lived at the old farm near
Smyrna, Del., attending the local schools,
with one year in the Classical Academy at
Smyrna. In 1872 he entered the State
Normal School at Millersville, Penn. , and on
completing his course in 1875, he engaged in
teaching in the country districts. Deciding
upon the medical profession as a lifework, he
began his preparation in 1877, at Smyrna,
and in the following year he was enrolled as a
student in the Hahnemann Medical College at
Chicago, from which he was graduated in
1880. Locating at Milford, Del., he practiced
successfully until 1892, when, realizing the
necessit}' for change and rest, he went to New
York City for a time. In February, 1892, he
settled at Matteawan, where he speedily won a
high place in the esteem of the people, both
as a citizen and a practitioner. He has never
joined the ranks of the happy Benedicts. In
all public questions he takes an intelligence
interest, and he is active in local affairs. Po-
litically he is a Republican, and he is now
serving as health officer of the town of Fish-
kill. For some time past he has been a mem-
ber of the Masonic order, and he is also an
active worker in the American Institute of
Homeopath}'.



JLSOX OSTRANDER, one of the oldest
L and most highly respected citizens of

Poughkeepsie, Dutchess county, is a repre-
sentative of a family which has long been
prominent in this region.

The ancestors of our subject who first
represented this branch of the family in Amer-
ica was Pieter Pieterson Ostrander, who left
Amsterdam, Holland, on the ship " Spotted
Cow," April 16, 1660. Landing in June fol-
lowing, he settled at Kingston, N. Y., where,
on January 19, 1679, he was married to Re-
becca Traphagen. Their son, Arend, who
was baptized at Hurley, N. Y., October 5,
1684, married Gertrude Massen Van Bloomen-
dahl, daughter of Maas Van Bloomendahl.
Maas Ostrander, a son of Arend, was baptized
at .Albany, N. Y., April 11, 17 14, married
Jennetje Swartwout, and their son Cornelius,



who became the grandfather of our subject,
was born July 22, 1742; he married, April 25,
1764, Mary Luyster Brinkerhoff. Their son
Cornelius, our subject's father, was born at
Fishkill, May 22, 1775, and was reared at the
old farm, attending school in the neighborhood
during boyhood. He learned the shoemaker's
trade, and followed it for some years, going
from one farm to another in winter and making
shoes. His later years were spent upon his
farm; he died January 17, 1853. He married
Mary Way, and had eight children, of whom
only two are now living: Alson, the subject
of this sketch; and Melinda, who married
James E. Smith, of Fishkill.

Alson Ostrander was born at Fishkill March
9, 18 1 8, and spent his boyhood there attend-
ing the public schools near his home. At the
age of fifteen he went to New York City, and
found employment as a clerk in the grocery
store of N. D. Hurder. In 1838 he returned
home, and remained with his father (who then
lived near Freedom Plains) until 1840, when
he went to Genesee county, making the jour-
ney with a horse and wagon. There he
worked on his brother's farm for three years,
and October i, 1844, he came to Pough-
keepsie, where he has since resided. Until
1847 he was with Slocum, Jilson & Co., in
their pin factory, the ruins of which still stand
on Bayeau street. Mr. Ostrander left this
employment to become assistant postmaster
at Poughkeepsie for Egbert B. Kelley, with
whom he remained three years, and so well
and faithfully did he discharge his duties that
the two succeeding postmasters found him in-
dispensable. He was next employed in the
county clerk's office during the term of George
H. Tompkins, and in 18C0 he became con-
nected with the firm of William W. and James
Reynolds, Jr. (now Reynolds & Cramer), with
whom he remained twenty-eight years, when
he retired from active business. He is a
man of quiet tastes and reserved manners;
but while he has never sought prominence, he
has more than once taken an influential part
in advancing measures which he believed to be
beneficial to the public. He is an ardent
friend to the temperance cause; has voted the
Prohibition ticket ever since the organization
of the party, and is now the senior resident
member of the Sons of Temperance. His
connection with that body dates back to 1846
when he became a member of Howard Divi-
sion No. 45, and when that society gave up its



820



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



charter, Mr. Ostrander, with William Schrum,
Judson D. Case, Richard Brittain, Lazarus V.
]jrinck, Thomas Piatt, John M. Cable, Isaac
Butler, Dennis C. ("lemishire, and James
Brewer, took their cards and joined Pough-
keepsie Division No. 9, which was instituted
August 4, 1843.

On June 3, 1841, Mr. Ostrander was mar-
ried in Genesee county to Miss Harriet Arnold,
who died leaving one son, Alson B., born
February 2, 1846, at Poughkeepsie, who was
a soldier in the Civil war and is now a resident
of New York City. He was married at ]5er-
gen, N. v., to Hettie Gifford. Mr. Alson
Ostrander was again married, this time at
Leon, N. Y., February 7, 1854, to Miss
Frances E. Evarts, who was born February
14, 1825, a daughter of Rev. Renaldo M. and
Eliza (Morley) Evarts. Two sons (twins)
were born of this union at Poughkeepsie, Feb-
ruary 7, 1863 — James Henry and Charles
Melville, both of whom are successfully estab-
lished in life, the latter being now in the in-
surance business at Omaha, Nebraska.

James Henkv Ostrander has chosen to
remain in his native city, where he now con-
ducts an extensive undertaking and embalm-
ing business. His early education was ob-
tained in the public schools of Poughkeepsie,
and on leaving the high school he entered the
telegraph office as messenger, and later was
employed as salesman for a New York firm,
and then began to learn the undertaking busi-
ness with Stephen Merritts, with whom he
worked three years. In 188S he returned
to Poughkeepsie where he had already won a
high standing in business circles. He was
married there June 5, 1888, to Miss Lavinia
S. Cluett (born November 28, 1864), daughter
of George W. and Lavinia Cluett, and has
one son, Cornelius, born January 11, 1892.
He is a member of Poughkeepsie Lodge No.
268, Chapter No. 172, King Solomon Council
No. 31, Commandery No. 43, Mecca Temple
A. A." O. N. M. S.



BOYD FAMILY, THE, which has been
prominent in this section for several gen-
erations, originated in Scotland, and the head
of this branch was among the " Scotch Seced-
ers " who went to the North of Ireland about
the year 1700 to avoid the religious persecu-
tions of the time in his native land. He set-
tled in County Down, but the e.xact locality



cannot now be ascertained. The coat of arms
found in the possession of some of his descend-
ants is the same as that of the Kilmarnock
Boyd, and without doubt if the record had
been kept all could trace their lineage to the
same source in Scotland. The name of this
ancestor is not known, but his family, as far as
can be learned, consisted of five children:
Samuel, Robert, James, Nathaniel and Mary.

Samuel Boyd came to New York Cit}' early



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 158 of 183)