J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 159 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 159 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


in the eighteenth century, and finding this
country a haven of rest from the hardships and
religious wars of the Old World, he assisted
his brothers and sisters to come. They re-
mained but a short time in New York City,
and most of them made their permanent home
at New Windsor, Orange Co., N. Y. With
the exception of Samuel the brothers were all
married and had large families, which shows
that they were well advanced in years. Na-
thaniel Boyd was born in County Down, Ire-
land. He married (first) Margaret Beck, (sec-
ond) Martha Monsel, but whether the last
marriage took place in Ireland or America
there is now no means of knowing, and (third)
Jane Johnston. He settled in Little Britain,
Orange county, where he passed the remainder
of his days. There were seven children bj' the
first marriage, and nine by the second.

John Boyd, his first son by the first mar-
riage, was born in ("ounty Down, March 24,
1746, and came to America with his parents at
the age of eight years, and removed to Amenia,
Dutchess county, from his home in Orange
county, about 1769. On August 10, 1769, he
married Elizabeth Winager, who was born
April 3, 1754, and was a daughter of Conrad
Winager, an extensive landholder of Dutchess
county, and nnlde his home at Amenia where he
followed the tailor's trade. As he is said to
have owned a large tract of land there at the
time of his death, on August 29, 181 7, he
probably received a portion of his father-in-
law's estate. His wife died October 5, 1820.
He was known as Capt. John Boyd, and his
name appears among 300 others on the • ' Roll
of Honor " during the Revolutionary war.
The records of the State of New York show
him first as a lieutenant in Capt. Colby Cham-
berlain's company in the 6th Dutchess County
Regiment, March 20, 1778, and later as a
captain in the 5th Dutchess County Regiment
under Col. William Huinpihrey. Capt. Boyd's
name is on the records of the old Presb3'terian
Church at Amenia, and he was connected with



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



821



the Society during the building of the church
edifice in 1796. He was a man highly es-
teemed and trusted by his fellow-citizens. In
his time people did not know the meaning of
bills, checks and drafts, and they learned by
sad experience the vvorthlessness of Conti-
nental bills. Capt. Reed at one time when
making a large purchase of wheat requested his
neighbor, Lieut. John Boyd, to bring from
Poughkeepsie a certain bag of silver money.
Mr. Boyd brought it on horseback on the
pommel of his saddle, and when he rode up to
the store an attendant lifted it down, not with-
out some exertion, and carried it in. His
family consisted of eleven children, most of
whom died in early life. The two who sur-
vived and settled in Amenia were Samuel, who
married Sarah, daughter of Judge Ephraim
Payne, and Gilbert, who married Abigail
Chamberlain; none of their descendants are
now living in Dutchess county. The youngest
son, David Boyd, for forty-six years known
as a prominent tanner, was born in Amenia,
N. Y. , May 21, 1795, and remained in his
native place, with the exception of a few years
of his childhood passed in Little Britain, until
he was seventeen years of age. He had the
usual advantages offered by the common
schools of the day, of which he was a regular at-
tendant until he reached the age of seventeen.
He left home in the year 18 12 determined to
acquaint himself with some branch of industry
in which he might become self-supporting.
His brother James was already engaged in the
tanning business in Brooklyn, N. Y. , and thither
David directed his steps and apprenticed him-
self to learn the trade. The custom of drinking
which was then so common in all classes of so-
ciety, especially in the cities, was new to young
Boyd, and being surrounded with temptation
it was not long before he determined to return
to his quiet country home. His parents,
having a just appreciation of his motives, ap-
proved of his resolution to look in another di-
rection for a chance to fit himself for the tan-
ner's trade. While visiting some relatives in
Poughkeepsie, he was introduced to Mr. John
Gary, a practical tan* er of that place, who had
a tan-yard on Washington street, near the
corner of Main, in what is now the center of
the city. No vestige of it remains to-day.
With Mr. Gary he resumed his labors, ac-
quiring a thorough knov;ledge of the trade,
and remained with him several years until
after Mr. Gary removed his business to Troy,



N. Y. During this time his home was with
his employer's family, where he met Mr.
Gary's sister-in-law, Rhoba Pettis, who was
born June i, 1792, at Foster, R. L, and died
February 12, 1836. They were married in
Troy, April 27, 1817, and having now a family
to provide for, Mr. Boyd was desirous to
commence business for himself, and he re-
turned to Poughkeepsie to run the same yard
where he had learned the trade a few years
previous. In 1821 he opened a leather
store on Main street, in the building now
owned by John J. Bahret, the clothier, and
lately occupied by him. Here he retailed all
kinds of leather, employing his leisure in finish-
ing such stock as he could purchase in the
rough from country tanners. He soon deter-
mined to make a more permanent arrange-
ment for carrying on business, and for that pur-
pose built himself a store and tannery, at
No. 360 Main street, where he tanned
most of the hides, calf and sheep skins,
bought by him in the Poughkeepsie mar-
ket, besides finishing calf and kipskins,
picked up in New York while purchasing his
stock of sole leather. He followed this busi-
ness during the remainder of his life, his indus-
try and integrity being rewarded by the acqui-
sition of a considerable property. He lived
during the most of this time where South-
wick's place of business now stands; later he
removed to the corner of Cannon and Hamil-
ton streets, where he died May 10, 1851.

A just appreciation of the probable growth
of the city induced him to purchase at differ-
ent times several acres of land in the suburbs
of the town which he disposed of at such times
as he found opportunities for making profitable
sales, and he realized from these investments
all and even more than he had at first antici-
pated. He built a more extensive tannery, at
the place known as the Red Mills. Years of
trial followed those of prosperity, and the
financial crisis of '36 and '37 was a season of
heavy losses for him, but it was always a mat-
ter of honest satisfaction to Mr, Boyd that he
had been able to meet his indebtedness paying
one hundred cents on the dollar in every case.
It was his maxim during life to live hon-
estly, and deal justly with all men. He
continued in active business until the years of
his death, enjoying the regular routine of a
busy life and the intercourses of those with
whom he had so long been associated. He
was a director in the Bank of Poughkeepsie for



822



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



many years. In religion he was a Presbyte-
rian, and he aided in the building of the church,
and was one of the substantial members and
trustees. He was a member of " Old Protec-
tion No. i" Fire Engine Company in the year
1 82 1.

By his first wife he had three children,
Mary Eliza, who married Abram Wiltsie; John
Gary, and Julia who married Alson Ward.
His second wife was Clarissa Lewis, who died
.April II, 1856, leaving no children. Accord-
ing to his desire he was succeeded in business
by his son and son-in-law, under the firm name
of Boyd & \\'iltsie, his plans for the future
being well-known to them.

John G. Boyd, the only son of David Boyd,
was born February 12, 1825, at the place now
known as No. 16 Washington street, Pough-
keepsie. As a young man he became engaged
with his father in business, beginning as an ap-
prentice. He had good advantages in youth,
and was given a fine business education. At
eleven years of age he was sent to Dover to
study with Mr. Jeliffe, and later he attended
Fay's school at New Paltz. After leaving
school he went into the tannery with a view
of becoming acquainted with the trade, his
time being divided between store and tan-
nery. He succeeded to a share in the bus-
iness in his twenty-eighth year, at his fa-
ther's death. In the same year he married
Phebe E. Trowbridge, daughter of Stephen
B. Trowbridge and Eliza Conklin. The firm
of Boyd & Wiltsie continued in business twen-
ty-five years, and the real-estate interest was
continued even after that time. The old en-
terprise is still carried on by Messrs. Dick &
Dobb, Mr. Dick having been an employe for
many years. Previous to May, 1853, he was
a member of Howard Hose Company, No. 2.
For twenty-nine years Mr. Boyd was trustee
of the Presbyterian Church, and was always
ready to do his duty. He was connected with
the Poughkeepsie National Bank for twen-
ty-two years, having held the office of vice-
president for some time, and that of president
for two years, until compelled by failing health
to decline a re-election. He was a member
of the Water board, and trustee of Pough-
keepsie Rural Cemetery for many years pre-
vious to his death, which occurred April 6,
1886. There are not many to be found
through the conflicts of an active business life
who have gained and retained to the last the
friendship and respect of all with whom they



have come in contact. Mr. Boyd, from his
natural benevolence of disposition, accom-
plished this in a remarkable degree without
effort. A born gentleman, it was easy for him
to make and retain friendship. His kindly
nature was free from restraint in all his inter-
course with men, and he left upon all the
impression of inherent modesty and true
affection, excellent purpose, broad views
and sound judgment. He sought to cul-
tivate the good feeling of others. He loved
the bright and beautiful side of life and would
fain have others share his joyous disposition.
Enemies he had none, for his gentle ways for-
bade their creation. He had three children —
Nathan T. , Henry S., who died in infancy,
and Frederick J.

N.\TH.'\x T. Bovu was born April 17, 1856,
in his grandfather's house on Mill street. He
was educated in Poughkeepsie, his first teacher
being Mrs. Herrick, and later he attended the
old Quaker School, Riverview Academy, and
Bishop's Select School. In 1875 he went into
the First National Bank as bookkeeper, under
Zebulon Rudd as cashier. After two and a
half years there, he took a position as book-
keeper in the store of Trowbridge & Co., re-
mained about three years, when he took an
interest with George Dick in the old leather
store. Later he sold out his share to Mr.
Dobbs, and went to Illinois where he was in-
terested in the Illinois Central R. R. for two
and a-half years. He came back, practically
at the request of Trowbridge & Co., and took
his former place in that firm, continuing as
clerk until the partnership was dissolved Feb-
ruary I, 1888. The firm then became Kirby,
Du Bois & Boyd, and continued until February
I. 1895, when Mr. Boyd retired. Since that
time he has been engaged in business in New
York Cit}'. In 1884 he became a member of
Phceni.x Hose Company No. i, and continued
until October 21, 1889, serving as treasurer for
the full term of five years. He was married on
October 24, 1889. to Miss.\nice M. \\'hite, only
daughter of Charles D. White and Mary A.
Haynes, of Brinckerhoff^New York.

Frederick |. Boyd was born March 18,
1868, and was educated at Bisbee's Military
School, and at the Eastman Business College.
In 1888 he took a position as clerk in the office
of Adriance Piatt & Co., remaining about three
years, and then went to New York City with
the Consolidated Kansas City Smelting & Re-
fining Company. He was with them for some



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPHICAL RECORD.



823



time, and then was sent to St. Louis as its man-
ager. He is now the agent and manager of
the International Metal Company, at St. Louis.
In 1889 he joined the 15th Separate Company
under Capt. B. Myers, and received his dis-
charge from the State of New York November
3, 1894, having filled the office of sergeant be-
fore resigning.



MRS. HANNAH DOUGHTY (deceased),
late a resident of Webatuck, town of

Dover, Dutchess county, was a scion of an ex-
cellent old family who have wisely preserved
their record through several generations. They
became residents of Dartmouth, Mass., in
1632.

Philip Sherman (son of Samuel, a son of
Henry, whose father Henry is the first we have
of this name, and is mentioned as a clothier of
Dedham, England), was born February 10,
1610, at Dedham, England. He came to this
country about the year 1632, and became the
first Secretary of the State of Rhode Island.
He was one of the leading men of his day.
Many of his descendants settled in Dartmouth,
Mass., one, whose name was Michael, was
born there in 17 19; he married Deborah Briggs
July 29, 1740, and they settled in Dutchess
county, N. Y. , in the spring of 1742. They
had several children, among whom was Jere-
miah, born March 29, 1743, and died March
4, 1 8 12. He married Elizabeth Mosher, by
whom he had nine children. Among them was
John, the father of the subject of this sketch.
Most of the ancestors of Mrs. Hannah Doughty
were members of the Society of Friends.

John Sherman, her father, was born May
17. '7831 and acquired a good common-school
education in the town of Washington, where
he also learned the trade of saddle and harness
making, which he continued to follow through
the greater part of his life. He was one of the
prominent Democrats of the locality, and for
a number of years held town offices, giving the
best of satisfaction.

On February 23, 1806, John Sherman was
married to Mary Briggs, daughter of Edward
and Anna Briggs, prosperous farming people
of the town of Pawling, Dutchess county.
Eight children came to this union: (i) Eliza-
beth, born April 3, 1807, never married. (2)
Almaron, born September 28, 1808, was a tan-
ner by trade, and in 1828 married Jane A.
Donley, of Newburgh, N. Y., by whom he had



si.\ children — Evelyn, Mary, John, Andrew,
Eliza A. and Albert. (3) Adaline, born Sep-
tember 30, 1 8 10, never married. (4) De-
borah, born December 17, 181 1, also remained
single. (5) Catharine, born December 13,
1813, was married, in 1833, to Ichabod Pros-
ser, and now lives at Hampton, Neb. (6)
Phoebe, born November 30, 18 15, became the
wife of Damon Whaley, a wagon maker of
Pawling, Dutchess county, and to them were
born four children — Sherman, who remained
single; George, who married Jane Ross; Fran-
ces, who married William Shaw, and after his
death wedded Henry Lenney; and Franklin.
(7) Albert, born July 3, 1817, was a tanner by
trade, and was married September 23, 1837,
to Miss Phcebe Rider, by whom he had five
children — John, a tanner, who wedded Mary
Smith: Mary, who became the wife of Rev.
Henry Hayter; Albert; Addie, who married
Frank Finger; and William, who never mar-
ried. (8) Hannah was the youngest of the
family.

Mrs. Doughty was born in the town of
Dover, January 27, 1826, and died June 30,
1896; she received her primary education in
the public schools, supplementing same with a
course in the Friends School of Washington
town, where she graduated at the age of six-
teen years. Four years later she was united
in marriage with Daniel Doughty, a mechanic
of the town of Washington, who died in 1852.
He was a son of Stephen and Mary (Ellis)
Doughty, the former of whom was a native of
Washington town, and a wagon maker by
trade. In their family were five children: Ira,
who married Zillah Doughty; Maria; Mrs.
Sarah Smedes; Daniel; and George. For over
forty years Mrs. Doughty was successfully en-
gaged in teaching. She merited and received
the esteem of the whole community, and was
much beloved by every one with whom she
came in contact.



D>AVID C. DRISLANE, one of the ener-
' getic and influential citizens of Pough-

keepsie, Dutchess county, is now engaged in
the wholesale and retail grocery and liquor
business, in which he is meeting with a well-
deserved success, and owns the substantial
brick block which he occupies. He was born
June 7, 1857, at Tarrytown, Westchester
county, New York.

Cornelius Drislane, father of our subject,



824



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



is a native of County Cork, Ireland, where
his childhood and youth were passed, nd he
there learned the business of florist. When
a younf( man he came to America, making his
first location at Manhattan, N. Y. , where he
followed his occupation and married Catherine
Cummings, who was also born in County
Cork. After remaining at Manhattan a short
time, they removed to Tarrytown, N. Y.,
where for a time he continued his calling, and
on leaving that place he became gardener for
John Jacob Astor, in Ulster county, N. Y. ,
near West Park, by whom he was employed
some fifteen years. He then purchased a farm
in Orange county, N. Y., which he operated
for ten years, at the expiration of which time
he returned 'to Tarrytown, where he still
makes his home. He is a stalwart Democrat
in politics, and for the past ten years has been
trustee of Tarrytown; in religious faith he is a
Roman Catholic. His wife, who held mem-
bership with the same denomination, died in
1892. They were the parents of nine chil-
dren, namely: William E. is a groceryman
of Albany, N. Y. ; Lena (deceased) was the
wife of Robert Ludford, who conducted a gro-
cery store at Sing Sing, N. Y. ; Lizzie married
James Quinn, of Tarrytown; David C. is next
in order of birth; Kate is the wife of William
Fallon, of Tarrytown; Frank died while young;
Mary is the wife of George Yerks, an under-
taker of Tarrytown; John died in infancy; and
Cornelius is a groceryman of Tarrytown.

At the age of two years David C. Drislane
accompanied his parents to the town of
Esopus, Ulster county, where the following
fifteen years of his life were passed mostly in
attendance at the district schools of the neigh-
borhood. After their removal to Orange
county, he continued his studies for some
time, and for about eight years assisted in the
cultivation of the farm. On leaving home he
went to Newburg, N. Y., where he entered the
grocery store of his brother, William E. , with
whom he remained for about a year and a half,
when he went to Tarrytown, being there em-
ployed by a brother for three years. He then
went to Sing Sing, and formed a partnership
with Robert I^ynford in the grocery business,
under the firm name of Drislane & Lynford,
which connection was continued for a year and
a half. Going to Peekskill, N. Y. , he and his
brother, William E., carried on a grocery
store under the style of Drislane Brothers, and
in 1882 they also started another store in the



same line at No. 249 Main street, Poughkeep-
sie, owning at the same time an establishment
at Albany. This partnership lasted until 1887,
when it was dissolved, our subject taking the
store at Poughkeepsie, and his brother the one
at Albany; the one at Peekskill had previously
been sold.

In 1885 David C. Drislane was married to
Miss Matilda M. Gregg, who was born in
Poughkeepsie, a daughter of William Gregg,
a contractor. In politics our subject is a rad-
ical Democrat, and in religion a member of
the Roman Catholic Church. In 1889 he
purchased his pleasant residence at No. 211
Mill street, and a year later bought his store
building. His fair dealing and systematic
methods of doing business have won him the
confidence and respect of all with whom he
has had occasion to transact business. His
property has been acquired through the exer-
cise of sound judgment, good business talents
and industry.



JOHN M. JULIAN, M. D., an eminent phy-
sician and surgeon, of the town of Pleasant
Valley, Dutchess county, is a native of
New Jersey, born at Hoboken, April 25, 1854.
He traces his ancestry to John M. JuHan (his
great-grandfather ), a native of France, who
spent his entire life there engaged in the silk
business, an occupation that was followed by
many of the family.

John Marius Julian, the grandfather of our
subject, was born at Avignon, France, in 1766,
and by profession was a physician. He was
with Napoleon Bonaparte all through his vari-
ous wars, and was a member of the "grand
old guard." being six feet, seven inches in
height; was at Moscow, Russia, also on " the
fatal field of Waterloo," and was wounded
several times — in fact his military career was a
brilliant one. At its close he came to America,
locating in New Jersey, where his death oc-
curred in 1864, when he had reached the patri-
archal age of ninety-eight years; he had mar-
ried Maria I^rancisco Eunri, by whom he had
fourteen children: Maria, Francisco, Cecelia,
Matilda, Antoinette, Adrian, Jenia, John M.,
Thomas. Felis, and four who died in infancy.
All have now passed away with the exception
of Adrian, who, like most of his ancestors, is
following the silk business.

At Avignon, France, February 13, 181 1,
was born John M. Julian, Sr. , the father of





^^-^^



-^^/c^f^^"^



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPEWAL RECORD.



825



our subject. In the common schools of his
native land he obtained his literary education,
and with his father began the study of medi-
cine. He was the only child of the family to
come to the New World, arriving in 1828, and
making his home in New Jersey. Entering the
College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York
City, he graduated from that institution with
the class of '31, and became a member of the
Medical Society of the city and county of New
York, also of the State Medical Society of New
Jersey. Shortly after his graduation he en-
tered a hospital in New York City, securing
much practical knowledge in his profession,
and in 1838 he settled at Hoboken, N. J.,
where he successfully engaged in practice up to
his death. January i, 1879. His wife, Cor-
nelia A. (Mount) was born in New York City,
November 22, 181 5, and was a daughter of
John D. P. Mount, also a native of that city,
where he was engaged in the banking business.
The Mount family was originally from Holland,
as were also the maternal ancestors of Mrs.
Julian, though her mother, who bore the
maiden name of Christian Stagg, was born in
America. In the large family of fourteen
children born to the parents of our subject
only three reached adult age, namely: Mary
B., wife of Stephen E. Brown, a lawyer of
New York City; John M. ; and Claude E., a
dentist and farmer of Flemington, N. J. In
religious belief the members of the family have
either been Catholics or Episcopalians, and in
politics the father was a stalwart Republican.
His widow, who is still living, has now reached
the age of eighty years.

The boyhood days of our subject were
passed at Hoboken. N. J., where he attended
the city schools and the gymnasium. At the
age of fifteen he was sent to Paris, France, to
the Polytechnic Institute, where he remained
for two years and a half, and then began the
study of medicine in that city, graduating in
1870. On the breaking out of the Franco-
Prussian war, the Doctor served as orderly in
the hospital corps of the 105th Regiment of
the line for three years, during which time he
traveled over a great deal of Europe, and
gained much valuable experience in his chosen
profession, and was honorably discharged in
October, 1873. He then took a course of lect-
ures at Heidelberg, Germany, while the re-
mainder of the year was spent at Bonn, Prus-
sia, and the ne.xt year at Zurich, all of which
time he spent in the study of medicine, while



the following two years were spent in visiting
many hospitals of the Old World. In Decem-
ber, 1875, he returned to the United States,
and for a time practiced at Hoboken, N. J.;
but in 1877 he went to Brooklyn, N. Y. , en-
tering the out-door department of the Long
Island College Hospital, where he graduated.
On January 31, 1880, Dr. John M. Julian
was married to Miss Katie A. Powderly, a na-
tive of Dublin, Ireland, and on the 7th of the
following October, they located at Moores
Mill, Dutchess county, where he continued
practice until 1892, in which year he came to
Pleasant Valley. Politically, the Doctor has
always been a Republican; socially he is a
member of the F. & .\. M. Asa physician he
enjoys the honor of being the peer of any in
the county. His life has been characterized
by energy, perseverance and labcr, and to
these principles his success is due. He is prom-
inently identified with the Dutchess County
Medical Association, and with the New York



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 159 of 183)