J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 160 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 160 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook


State Medical Association.



STORM H. CONKLIN for a number of
) years has been prominently identified with

the business interests of Poughkeepsie. From
1891 to January i. 1894, he was connected
with John Leeming in the undertaking busi-
ness, and since has been associated in the
same line with Frank B. Van Dyne.

For one hundre4 and f^fty years the Conk-
lin family have been residents of Dutchess
county, living upon a farm at Van Wagners,
in the town of Hyde Park, where the father of
our subject, William Conklin, was born Janu-
ary 2, 1800. He was a son of John and
Susan (Storm) Conklin, farming people. The
grandfather was born on August 15, 1762, and
his death occurred February 3, 1803. In
Poughkeepsie was celebrated the marriage of
William Conklin and Maria Mott, and they
became the parents of two sons, John, and
Storm H., of this review. The father was
reared to agricultural pursuits, but later learned
the hatter's business with Tunis Van Kleeck,
of Poughkeepsie, and carried on the manufac-
ture of hats at Lyons and Geneva, N. Y. He
died at Bridgeport, Conn., in 1837.

The birth of Storm H. Conklin occurred at
Sharon, Conn., September 17, 1833, but was
only five years of age when brought to Pough-
keepsie, where he began his education and at-
tended the Lancaster and Cornish schools.



826



GOMMEMORAnVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



During his early life he was apprenticed to J.
P. Xelson to learn the cabinetmaker's trade,
and remained with that gentleman about
twenty-eight years. He was also employed in
the same business with Nelson, Seward & Mc-
Gregor and Charles F. McGregor. However,
since 1891 he has engaged in his present busi-
ness, being an undertaker and funeral director.
For twenty years he has engaged in undertak-
ing, so that he thoroughly understands his
business in ail its details.

In 1850 Mr. Conklin joined the Phoenix
Hose Company, with which he has since been
prominently connected, serving as its secretary
and representati\e in the Board of the Associ-
ated Fire Department for twenty-si.\ years.
He is to-day the oldest active member on
Phcenix's roll. He has served on about all the
important committees that have had the wel-
fare of the company at heart, and Phcenix
takes great pleasure in claiming him as a mem-
ber to-day. For twenty-eight years he has
been an active member of the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows at Poughkeepsie, being
the treasurer of the lodge for thirteen years.
He is a stanch supporter of the men and meas-
ures of the Democratic party, and has served
as supervisor from the Fifth ward, and police
commissioner under Mayor Ellsworth. His
success in life is attributable to his own in-
domitable energy, and the close and assiduous
attention he has paid to the minute portions
of his affairs.



m LBERT F. BOOTH, a prominent resi-
.^^ dent of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess county,
and a well-known dealer in tea, coffee and
spices, is one of the substantial self-made men
of that city. Like many other successful busi-
ness men he comes of an ancestry which had
been for several generations devoted to agri-
cultural pursuits.

His grandfather, Daniel Booth, a farmer,
was an early settler near Mooresville, Dela-
ware Co., N. Y. John H. Booth, our sub-
ject's father, was born and reared at the home-
stead there, attending the district schools of
the neighborhood. In early manhood he lo-
cated on Green Island, between Albany and
Troy, where he was engaged in gardening for
many years. His later years were spent upon
a farm near Albany, where he died in 18S0.
He was married in Watervliet, N. Y. , to Miss
Sarah Bigelow, who survives him and is hale



and hearty at the age of seventy-eight. They
were leading members of the First Reformed
Church at Bethlehem. Six children were born
to them: Oscar, Albert F., Edward Tdeceased),
Andrew (now living at the old homestead),
Emma and Theresa.

Albert F. Booth first saw the light Feb-
ruary 21, 1 84 1, on Green Island, where he
spent his boyhood, attending the schools of
Bethlehem. At the age of eighteen he went
to New York City and clerked in a store for
two years, returning afterward to his father's
farm. In F'ebruary, 1861, when he was
twenty years old, he was married to Miss
Sarah Bender, a daughter of Wendel Bender,
a well-known citizen of Bethlehem. He pur-
chased a farm for $8,000, for which he went
in debt, and in four years he cleared off the
obligation from the proceeds of the farm and
the increase in value of the land. His health
having become impaired he sold the farm, and
for two years did no business except looking
after his interest in a tea business, toward
which he had advanced some mone}-. In
1865 he took charge of a tea store in Albany
(or Mr. Cunningham, of Troy, becoming well-
posted in the details of its management, and
when the store was sold a year and a half
later he determined to establish a similar
enterprise for himself. In 1867 he came to
Poughkeepsie, and through the influence of
Robert Slee, located at No. 270 Main street,
where he opened the first tea, coffee and spice
store in the city. In 1872 he moved to his
present store at No. 36S Main street, and for
twenty-five years has enjoyed an extensive
patronage. He conducts the business on a
"cash" principle, and his able management
has brought him well-deserved success.

Mr. and Mrs. Booth have had two children:
(i) Wendell, who married a daughter of J. S.
Vandorn, and is now in the advertising com-
mission business with his father-in-law; and (2)
Satie, who died October 8, 1885, at the age of
twenty-one years. In politics Mr. Booth is a
stanch Republican, having cast his first vote
for Abraham Lincoln; socially he is a mem-
ber of the Masonic fraternity. Triune Lodge.



/GEORGE DARIN, one of the most promi-
\^ nent agriculturists and real-estate holders
of the town of Northeast, Dutchess county,
was born February 13, 1817, at Mount Riga
(Harlem R. R. Station), town of Northeast.



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



827



The Dakins have been among the leading
famihes of that vicinity for several generations,
and are related b}' marriage to a number of
other old families. George Dakin, our sub-
ject's grandfather, owned a large farm at the
site of the village of Mt. Riga, west of the
depot. He had three children: Jacob, our
subject's father, born in 1775; Hannah (Mrs.
John Culver), and Charity (Mrs. Driggs).

Jacob Dakin inherited this farm and set-
tled there, and afterward increased his poses-
sions until he was the largest land holder in that
locality. His first purchase was the Haywood
farm, where the family now lives, and later by
buying the Lucas Hotchkiss property, fore-
closing on the Simon Dakin farm where the
Maltby iron mine is, and buying the Birch and
the Tankery farms, he acquired in all over
1,800 acres. He was a man of unusual ability
and wide information, an independent thinker
and a strong believer in the doctrines of the
Universalist Church. In politics he was a
Whig, and took an active and influential part
in local affairs. He married Miss Olive Clark,
a descendant of one of the oldest families, and
daughter of Elijah Clark. He died July 9,
1836, followed four years later by his wife.
They had eleven children: Harriet, Orville,
Joshua, Maria, Mary Ann, Myron, De Witt C,
Emeline, George, Cornelia and Caroline.

George Dakin has always lived upon his
present farm, having inherited 200 acres from
his father. He has, however, added to this
I nucleus until he owns 520 acres, and he is
known as one of the most enterprising and
successful managers. He was married Sep-
tember 22, 1847, to Eliza M. Kelsey, daugh-
ter of William Kelsey, a well-known resident
of Salisbury, Conn., and a representative of
one of the leading families there. Six children
were born of this union, whose names and dates
of birth are as follows: \Mlliam, July 23,
1848; George, January 18, 1850, deceased,
who married Fannie Bishop; Julia, December
18, 1852, the wife of Alexander Griffin; John
D., May i, 1856; Carrie D., May 21, 1861,
the wife of Oliver Burr; and Jennie, January
18, 1867, the wife of Peter McGill, whose
farm adjoins the homestead on the north.

William Dakin, the eldest son, is now
conducting the entire tract of 520 acres, hav-
ing assumed the responsibility on his own ac-
count about fifteen years ago. Previous to
that he had spent ten years in clerking in a
store at Mt. Riga, five for his father and five



for W. B. Gray. He has been very success-
ful in his management of the farm, which is
next to the largest in the town. He married
Miss Jennie Pulver, daughter of Jacob Pulver,
but has no children. Although he has never
cared for office, he is at times active in the
local work of the Republican party. He and
his wife attend the Methodist Church at Mill-
erton, and he has taken a generous interest in
many important movements for the good of
the community.



T HERON H. CALDWELL. At the time
of the French Crusade, the great-grand-
father of our subject was driven out of France
on account of his religious views, and went to
the north of Ireland, where he was married.
Later he came to America. The grandfather
was among the first settlers of Poughkeepsie,
where he worked as a chair maker for many
years.

There the father of our subject, George B.
Caldwell, was born, and in the common
schools he received his education. He learned
the tailor's trade with George Mead, and be-
came the first merchant tailor in the city who
kept cloth on hand. His store was located at
No. 289 Main street, where he conducted busi-
ness many years, and in i860 moved to the
store now occupied by J. B. Flagler. There
he engaged in the jewelry business with his
son, Edward O., who had learned the trade
with Van Keuren Brothers. In Poughkeepsie
Mr. Caldwell led to the marriage altar Miss
Eliza M. Coffin, daughter of Robert Coffin,
Esq., and both were called from this earth in
1 886. In their family were five children,
namely: Helen, deceased; Edward O.; Fred-
erick, deceased; Theron H. ; and Malcolm, de-
ceased. The father served as internal reve-
nue collector, and took quite an active part in
political affairs, first voting with the Whig
and later with the Republican party, but he
would never accept public office. He was cap-
tain of the Davy Crockett Hook & Ladder
Compan}', belonged to the Masonic Order, and
was a member of the Episcopal Church.
Physically he was well developed, and was
known as the straightest built man in the city.

Thereon H. Caldwell first opened his eyes
to the light of day April 24, 1854, at Pough-
keepsie, in the same house on Main street
which is still his home. Like most boys he
spent his childhood in attending school and



828



COMMEMORATIVE BIOORAPEICAL RECORD.



engaging in youthful sports. After pursuing
his studies for a short time in the public
schools, he entered a boarding school at Fish-
kill, N. v., and later was a student in the
Friends Boarding School at Oswego, N. Y.
On laying aside his text books, he worked
for two years in a carriage shop at Amenia,
and the following year was spent at the
same occupation at Pleasant \'alley, Dutch-
ess county. He next clerked in a grocery
and feed store at New Haven, Conn., after
which he returned to Poughkeepsic and learned
the printer's trade with Piatt & Piatt, for
whom he worked for five years. The follow-
ing two years he conducted a printing office
for George D. Eighmie, and then opened one
for himself at No. 363 Main street in 1862.
Two years later, however, he went to Pitts-
burg, Penn., where for the same length of
time he filled different positions on the
Western Division of the Pennsylvania railroad.

In 1866 Mr. Caldwell returned to Pough-
keepsic, and again engaged in the printing
business, being first located at No. 5 Academy
street, but later removed to No. 16, where he
increased his plant. He formed a partnership
with A. H. Hasbrouck, now foreman for A. V.
Haight, and the present firm is composed of
our subject and William G. Hansman. For a
year and a half they have published T/w Search
Light, and also have a large trade in the job
department, and are now working on a contract
for the Imperial Pattern Company. Their
work is all first-class, giving general satisfac-
tion, and they are doing an extensive business.

Mr. Caldwell was married in Poughkeepsic
to Annie M. Bolton, daughter of John Bolton,
and she died in 1886, leaving three children:
Eleanor, Albert and Edna. Mr. Caldwell was
again married at Hyde Park, Dutchess county,
his second union being with Alice Kelley,
daughter of George Kelley. Politically, Mr.
Caldwell affiliates with the Republican party,
is a member of the O. H. Booth and Veteran
Fire Companies, and religiously he is an Epis-
copalian. Courteous, genial, well informed,
alert and enterprising, he stands to-day one of
the leading representative men of Poughkeep-
sic — a man who is a power in his community.



HON. JOSIAH SUTHERLAND wasarep-
resentative of that rare element in mod-
ern life, which, although an invaluable part of
it, yet rests upon a basis of something ideal



and philosophical. In a worldly sense he cer-
tainly made h^s mark, becoming one of the
foremost lawyers and prominent judges of New
York City. Whenever he came in contact
with men of note, not only was he valued as
an equal of practical strength and resources,
but also as one whose integrity was beyond
question.

The Judge was born in the village of Ban-
gall, Dutchess county, June 12, 1806, and was
the son of Josiah and Abigal (Duncan) Suther-
land, who were the parents of six children, all
now deceased: Walter, Sarah, Mary, Han-
nah, Josiah and Birch. The father was a na-
tive of the town of Stanford, where his father
had located at an early day on coming from
Scotland — his native land — to America. In
that town the son carried on farming until his
death. He had served as colonel in the war of
I 81 2, was a strong Democrat in politics, and a
Baptist in religious belief.

The boyhood days of Judge Sutherland
were passed at Bangall, and he prepared for
college in New York City under the guidance
of Judge Parker's father. After his graduation
from Union College in 1826, he studied law
for a year in the office of Samuel G. Hunting-
ton, at W'aterford, Saratoga Co., N. Y., but
finished his studies in the office of Bushnell &
Stebbins, at Hudson, Columbia Co., N. Y.
Shortly after his admission to the bar in 1829,
he went to South Carolina on account of ill
health, and there remained for a year. Re-
turning north, he entered into partnership, at
Johnstown, N. Y., with Robert H. Morris, a
former mayor and recorder of New York City.

In 1 83 I Mr. Sutherland was appointed dis-
trict attorney of Columbia county, which office
he continued to fill for about fifteen years,
and in 1856 he was elected to Congress to
represent the Thirty-second Congressional
District, having run against Judge Coles. In
1838 he had removed to Hudson City, N. Y. ,
where he occupied the office of the late Am-
brose L. Jordan, who had removed to New
York City, where in the spring of 1851 Mr.
Sutherland also located, there forming a part-
nership with Judge Morrell. He was elected
judge of the supreme court in 1857 to fill a
vacancy caused by the death of Judge Whit-
ing, and held that position for six years. On
the resignation of Charles O'Connor from the
office of United States District Attorney, he
was tendered that position by President Bu-
chanan, but declined it. In the fall of 1863,



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD.



829



he was re-elected to the supreme court without
opposition, and continued to fill the position
on the bench for the full term of seven years.

By an act of the Legislature, the Judge
was appointed one of the three commissioners
to decide a certam claim against the City of
New York, and though millions of dollars were
involved, so impartial were all his decisions,
that all parties felt satisfied with their correct-
ness. In 1872 he was elected city judge of
New York. He retired from the bench on the
1st of January, 1879, carrying with him not
only the respect of the entire legal fraternity,
but an enviable reputation as a jurist. One
of the most extraordinary events was the meet-
ing of the New York bench and bar to express
their regret at the retirement of the Hon.
Josiah Sutherland from the bench, which he
had occupied with distinguished rectitude and
simplicity of character for over twenty years
of a busy and honored life. Few men have
lived to experience such a vocation as this
from the most critical and scrutinizing of pro-
fessional and judicial contemporaries.

That a man born and bred in country life
could go to New York City when there was on
his arrival, already in existence, strongly in-
trenched, a ring of corrupt political tricksters,
surrounded by an outer ring of a corrupt and
powerful system almost irresistible, and win
and occupy one of the highest seats of justice,
was a credit to the better sense and intelligence
of the people. That a judge could in all these
years sit in calm rectitude and severe and in-
flexible justice when almost all else was cor-
rupt and partial, is a wonder in our day. The
honor of Judge Sutherland was never assailed.
Enemies may have ridiculed him, and even
friends criticised his ways, but no man ever
hinted at anything dishonorable or unjust in
his character as a man or judge. The consti-
tutional limit of seventy years, as the end of
judicial service, cut him off, as it did Spencer
and Chancellor Kent, in the full maturity of in-
tellectual capacity, at the threshold of the
beauties of an honorable and venerable old
age, but we can still point to his record with
pride. From the time of his retirement from
the bench until his death he resided in New
York City. He died May 25, 1887.

At Johnstown, N. Y., was celebrated the
marriage of Judge Sutherland and Miss Jane,
youngest daughter of Dr. John McClellan.
She was born in the Manor of Livingston,
February 22, 181 i, and died February 22,



1876. To them were born fourteen children,
of whom two are now living — Robert and Mrs.
Sarah A. Eddy.

The birth of Robert Sutherland occurred
at Hudson, Columbia Co., N. Y., March 11,
1S38, and there his early school days were
passed. He attended the Naval Academy at
Annapolis, Md., and when the Civil war broke
out he was appointed by President Lincoln to
the position of 1st Lieutenant, i8th U. S. L,
in which he served for three years, when he
was discharged on account of physical disa-
bility. In New York City in 1866, he was
united in marriage with Miss Lucy A. Mills, a
native of Ireland, and to them were born four
daughters: Jane Douglas, who is now the wife
of Rev. D. S. Hamilton, rector of St. Paul's
Church, atPaterson, N. J. ; Florence, deceased;
Sarah E. and Blanche. For the past twenty
years Mr. Sutherland has lived retired in the
town of Stanford, Dutchess county, where he
is surrounded by a host of warm friends and
acquaintances.



fFILLIAM H. TANNER, M. D., a
V;'|t worthy representative of the farming
interests of the town of Amenia, Dutchess
county, is a native of same, born September
12, 1836. The family had long been estab-
lished there, his great-grandfather, James
Tanner, being one of its earliest residents.

William Tanner, the grandfather, was born
in the town of Dover, January 9, 1786, was
brought up on a farm, and received the edu-
cation afforded by the district schools. He
was an agriculturist, and spent the latter part
of his life in the town of Amenia, where he
died in 1856. In religious belief he was a
Baptist. He was married March 13, 1806,
to Mary Uhl, who was born December 29,
1786, and they became the parents of three
children: James U., the father of our sub-
ject; Mary Eighmy, who was born May 4,
1814, and wedded Abram White; and Cath-
erine E., who was born May 8, 1824, and
married Swift Nase.

James Uhl Tanner, also a native of the
town of Dover, was born April 22, 1807, there
secured his elementary education, and con-
tinued his studies at the Nine Partners Board-
ing School, in the town of Washington, Dutch-
ess county. He was married December 4,
183 1, to Miss Rhoda Ann Hubbell. who was
born May 31, 1814, and was a daughter of



830



COMMEMORATIVE BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD



Cushnian and Tamma Hubbell. Their family
consisted of three children: James H., born
November 25, 1835, died February 10, 1837;
William H., of this sketch; and Annie Maria,
who was born August 5, 1842, and married
S. H. Hedges. About 1840 the father re-
moved to the town of Amenia, building the
present residence of our subject, and there en-
gaged in farming up to his death, which oc-
curred July 28, 1886. He was one of the
most wide-awake and progressive farmers of
the locality, and met with a well-deserved suc-
cess in his vocation. In early life he was
identified with the Whi;,' party, and later was
a Republican. His strict integrity and kindly
nature endeared him to all his associates, and
for many years his hospitable home was a
place dear to many, both young and old, by
reason of the kindly welcome extended to
them by him and his faithful helpmeet. He
lived upon the farm, where he died, for over
fifty years.

The early life of Ur. Tanner was spent
after the manner of most farmers' sons, com-
paratively uneventful, and after attending the
district schools for a time, he pursued his stud-
ies at the Amenia Seminary, at the Loweville
Academy, in Lewis county, N. Y., at the Sus-
quehanna Seminary, in I^inghamton, N. Y. ,
and at the O.xford Academy, of Chenango
county, this State. He then entered the medi-
cal departtiicnt of the University of New York,
where he graduated in i860. After Fort
Sumter was fired upon, the Doctor laid aside
personal interest, and in 1861 joined the 47th
N. Y. V. I., as assistant-surgeon. In the fol-
lowing year he was promoted surgeon, and
served with the rank of major of cavalry until
hostilities ceased, when he was honorably dis-
charged and returned home.

On April 26, 1866, Dr. Tanner was mar-
ried to Miss Achsa York, of Chenango county,
N. Y. , and thej' became the parents of three
children, as follows: (i) James E., of Cole-
man Station, Dutchess county, born December
8, 1868, was married June 20, 18S9, to Emma
Gridley Lewis, and they have three children:
Lewis W., born May 19, 1890; Margaret, born
October 16, 1892; and Frederick, born Octo-
ber 29, 1895. (2) Frederick, born January
24, [871, died June 14, 1875. (3) Mary
Mabel, born January i, 1874, was married
December 27, 1890, to Louis M. Allerton, and
they have one son, James K. , born November
5. 1892.



I



After his marriage. Dr. Tanner removed to
Louisiana, where for two years he engaged in
cotton raising, but in 1868 returned to the
home farm, which he has since operated with
good success. He is also engaged in the milk
business, which he finds to be a profitable
source of income. Fraternally he is connected
with Shekomeko Lodge No. 458, F. & A. M.,
at Washington Hollow, Dutchess county. A
man of strong individuality, whose influence
has been directed toward the good, the true
and the beautiful, this honored veteran of the
Civil war well merits representation in this
volume.



ING J. MARTIN and JAMES H.
_i\L MARTIN. The head of the Martin
family which has been prominently identified
with the history of the town of Dover, Dutch-
ess county, for many years, was Agrippa Mar-
tin, who came from England when a young
man, and became one of the early settlers of
Dover. His son James was a farmer by occu-
pation and an adherent of the Quaker faith.
He married Sarah Kelley, daughter of Samuel
Kelley, of Poughkeepsie, a seafaring man, and
had four children: Wing, mentioned below;
John, who never married; Phrebe A. (Mrs.
Joseph Haviland), and Ruth A. (Mrs. Samuel
Hallack).

Wing Martin was born in 1798, and on at-
taining manhood's estate engaged in farming
and in brick manufacturing. He possessed
decided mechanical ability, and was an excel-
lent business man, his enterprises meeting with
success. Some of the oldest houses in the
town of Dover were built of brick from his
kiln. In politics he was a Republican, and in
religion a Quaker. His first wife was Hannah
Whitley, and his second was her sister Eliza-
beth, both daughters of Joseph Whitley.
Three children were born of the first marriage:
John J., James H., and Ann E., who died at
the age of eighteen.

John J. Martin was born in 1824, and re-
ceived his education in the schools of his na-



Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 160 of 183)