J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 161 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 161 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

tive town. Until he was twenty-eight years
old he assisted his father, and he then became
the owner of a part of the farm which has been
in the possession of the family since 1776. He
cared nothing for politics, preferring a quiet
life. He married Miss Lydia Haviland, daugh-
ter of Isaac Haviland, and had one son — WiNG
J. M.\RTiN, who was born at the old home-



stead May 20, 1850, was educated at the acad-
emies in that vicinity, and then engaged in
farming. He has been twice married, first in
1 87 1, to Miss Sarah E. Tabor, daughter of a
well-known farmer of Dover, John Tabor, and
his wife, Cordelia Ross. Three children were
born of this union: Anne T. , born in 1871;
Sarah E. , born in 1875; and Mary D., who
died in infancy. Mr. Martin's wife died in
1875, ^nd in 1884 he married Miss Catherine
C. Corey, daughter of Charles and Elizabeth
Corey, prominent residents of Port Jervis,
Pennsylvania. Both daughters are at home.
They are accomplished young ladies; Anne T.
was for a time in attendance at a school in
Brooklyn, and one at Stanford, and Sarah E.
was for a time at the same school at the latter
place. Their main education, however, was
received at home under a governess.

After his marriage, in 1871, Mr. Martin
settled on the farm on which he now resides,
which is a fine tract of 108 acres. In 1895 he
erected here a fine house, and has a modern
home. The main part of the old house was
one of the oldest houses built in the locality,
being upward of one hundred and seventy-five
years old. In addition to the farm on which
he resides, Mr. ^\ ing Martin is the possessor
of another farm comprising 234 acres located
three miles south of his present home. In ad-
dition to general farming, Mr. Martin carries
on a dairy business, keeping fifty cows. In
politics he is a Republican.

Isaac Haviland, the father of Mrs. John J.
Martin, was a prosperous farmer of the town
of Pawling. He married Miss Lydia \\'eever,
and had nine children: (i) Joseph was married
four times, first to Hannah Martin, by whom
he had one son — James M., deceased; his sec-
ond wife was Sarah G. Griffin, and they had
one daughter, Mary, who married the late Noal
Tompkins, and has two children; by the third
wife, Lydia Oakley, and by the fourth, Lydia
Haviland, there were no offspring. (2) Dan-
iel married Lillias Akin, and seven children
were born — Lydia, Lillie, Lillias, Joseph, Jon-
athan (who married Angeline Hungerford),
Daniel J. , and Abigail (the wife of Philip Hav-
ilandj. (3) Isaac married Maria Swift, but
had no children. (4) Jacob married Elizabeth
Shove, and had one daughter — Minnie, now
Mrs. Morris. (5) Abraham married Ann Bow-
dish, and had one child — Nellie, who married
William Well. (6) Alexander married Judith
Griffin, and had two children — Phcebe, now

Mrs. Elmer Gildersleeve, and Lydia, who died
in youth. (7) Lydia married John J. Martin.
(8) Charlotte married Alfred Moore. (9) Sarah
never married. Charlotte Moore had four
children: Lydia married Daniel Willits, and
has three children — Lottie, Hannah and Amy;
Ruth married Peter A. Skidmore, and has had
four children — Libbie, Susie, Jessie and Alfred,
of whom, the last named is the only one living;
Susan is at home; Alfred H. married Phcebe
Willits, and has had three children — Herman,
Willits and Daniel.

Joseph Whitley, the father-in-law of W'ing
Martin, was a native of the town of Dover,
and became a prominent farmer there. He
owned a number of slaves, whom he freed, but
they refused to leave the place, and he volun-
tarily paid them wages. He married, and had
five children: Phcebe, who died at an early
age; Hiram, who married Mary Preston; Eliza-
beth and Hannah, mentioned above; and Jo-
seph J., who married Jane Ross.

James H. Martin, the second son of Wing
Martin, was born in 1833, and was educated in
Amenia Seminary, and at Gaylordsville. After
graduation he engaged in farming with his fa-
ther, and is now the owner of a fine farm of
124 acres, and 2,000 acres of timber land.
He also owns a house and ten lots in Oakland,
Cal. He married Miss Sarah H. Stevens,
daughter of David W. Stevens, a leading
farmer of the town of Dover, and a deacon in
the Baptist Church. They have two children:
(i) Eugene H., born in 1857, was educated at
Grand Rapids, Mich., and Poughkeepsie, N. Y. ,
and is now a prosperous farmer. He married
Miss Jennie Jones, daughter of John C. and
Mary E. (Murton) Jones, of Port Washington,
N. Y. Her father is a successful music teacher.
They have four children: Bessie A., born in
1885; Jennie S., 1887; James B., 1890, and
Franklin E. , 1893. (2) Annie Martin was
born in 1859, and, like her brother, was edu-
cated at Grand Rapids and at Poughkeepsie.
She married Theo Buckingham, a merchant of
Dover, and son of Harvey and Eliza (Ross)
Buckingham. They have no children.

Mrs. James H. Martin is a member of the
well-known Stevens family cf the town of
Dover. Her grandfather, Thomas Stevens,
kept an inn at South Dover in the early days.
He married Sarah Howard, and had seven
children: Samuel was married three times;
Edward married Amanda Hunt; \\'illiam mar-
ried Hannah Hunt; Phcebe was the wife of a



Mr. Holloway; Sallie died at the age of seven-
teen; Thomas did not marry; and David, who
was born in Dover in 1798 and became a
farmer there, married (first) Miss Nancy Ged-
dings, and (second) Mrs. Lydia A. Camp. His
first wife was a daughter of Hon. Gamaliel
Geddings, a prominent farmer of Dover, and
his wife, Eunice Barns. There were seven
children by the first marriage: Orin, who
married Ann Wheeler; Eliza, Mrs. Alice Ged-
dings; Baldwin, who married Julia Dutcher;
Hiram (i), who died in childhood; Mary, Mrs.
Emery Cole; Sarah H., Mrs. Martin; and
Hiram (2), who married Ann E. Camp.

URIAH TEATOR, who in his lifetime was
one of the most prominent agriculturists
of the town of Milan, Dutchess county, resid-
ing near Cokertown, was a native of that town,
born March 26, 1825.

The first of the name in this countrj' came
from Holland, and passed some years in Dutch-
ess county, settling later in Columbia county,
where Philip Teator, our subject's grandfather,
was probably born. He spent the most of his
life there, following farming, but died in
Dutchess county. He married Miss Friese,
and reared a family of six children, of whom
our subject's father was the eldest; Frederick
J. and Robert were farmers in Wayne county,
N. Y. ; Catherine married Zachariah Pulver, a
farmer in Columbia county; Maria married
Philip Coon, a shoemaker in Milan. Of this
family the only survivors are the two younger

Jacob P. Teator, our subject's father, was
born in the town of Gallatin, Columbia coun-
ty, and grew tf) manhood at the old farm
there, learning the shoemaker's trade. For
many years he was a farmer in Dutchess coun-
ty', and died upon a farm in the town of Red
Hook, where he had been one of the leading
men in local affairs, commissioner of highways,
and an active supporter of the Democratic
party. His wife was Catherine Plass, a de-
scendant of an old Holland family, and daugh-
ter of Philip Plass, a well-known farmer of the
town of I\ed Hook. Their first home was on
a farm in the town of Milan, where they reared
a family of seven children, our subject being
the eldest; Margaret A. is the widow of Philip
I^. Boice, formerly a farmer; John N. is a car-
penter in the town of Red Hook; Mary is the
widow of Nicholas Holsapple, a farmer in the

town of Milan; Robert is a farmer in Red
Hook; Catherine is unmarried; and P'reeman
is a farmer in the town of Red Hook.

Mr. Teator enjoyed the usual advantages of
a country boy, and attended the district
schools of Milan and Red Hook. In 1853 he
married Miss Emeline Boice, a descendant of
another Holland family, and daughter of Sim-
eon Boice, a leading farmer of Red Hook.
For two years after their marriage the young
couple lived upon a farm in the same locality,
but for forty years thereafter they resided upon
the present farm of 312 acres, which is de-
voted to general farming, and is one of the
finest estates in the vicinity. Eight children
were born to them: Oliver is a farmer in the
town of Red Hook; Douglas A. and Frederick
J. are farmers in the town of Milan; Warren is
employed in a factory in Columbia county;
John S. is at home; Mary A. married Sylvanus
Coon; Kate is the wife of Stewart Teator; and
Esther married Sylvester Palmeteer. The
Teator family have been connected with the
Lutheran Church for generations, and the
present representatives are among its most
active supporters in this locality.

Politically Mr. Teator was a Democrat and
an influential one. He served as justice of the
peace for twelve years; in 1878 was elected
township supervisor, and a vacancy occurring
in 1885, he was appointed to the same office,
for which his well-proved ability so well fitted
him that he was re-elected for each succeeding
term afterward. He died June 27, 1896, and
was buried in the Lutheran cemetery at Red

LESLIE A. SUTTON, M. D. , a leading
young physician and surgeon of the town
of East Fishkill, Dutchess county, was born
June 10, 1866, upon the farm at Louisville,
St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., where his grandfa-
ther, Benjamin Sutton, had located when a
young man, the locality at that time being an
unbroken wilderness. The latter was a native
of England, and on landing in this country at
once went to St. Lawrence county, where the
remainder of his life was passed in clearing,
developing and improving his farm, which was
covered with a dense forest.

By his marriage with Miss Sarah Brunt,
Benjamin Sutton had a family of seven chil-
dren, as follows: (i) Henry is a fruit farmer
of Minneapolis, Kans. (2) George L. received

V — ^



his education atCastleton, \'t., after which he
entered the College of Physicians and Surgeon,
New York City, where he graduated in i860,
and was then a surgeon in the army for four
years; on leaving the service he came to the
town of East Fishkill. Dutchess county, where
he engaged in the practice of medicine up to
his death, in the spring of 1889. (3) Benjamin
was a farmer and drover in Louisville, St.
Lawrence county. (4) William was a promi-
nent lawyer of Kansas City, Mo., where his
death occurred; he faithfully served through-
out the Civil war, and filled many official posi-
tions, including that of circuit judge. (5)
Franklin J. (the father of our subject) was
next in order of birth. (6) Sarah married Dan-
iel Smith, a carpenter and ship-builder. (7)
Webster laid down his life on the altar of his
country during the war of the Rebellion.

Upon the old homestead Franklin J. Sutton
was born, and was engaged in its operation
until thirty-eight years of age, when he turned
his attention to the cream and milk business,
having five creameries, and doing an extensive
business, which proved very profitable. fn
politics he was an ardent Republican. He
married Miss Clarissa Shoen, also a native of
Louisville, St. Lawrence county, and the
daughter of Sheppard Shoen, who was born in
Scotland, and was there married. To this
union were born eight children, as follows:
Franklin J., a farmer in St. Lawrence county;
Guy'H., who is engaged in mining in Colorado;
Sarah P., who became the wife of Rolf Wells,
a fruit grower of California, and died in Feb-
ruary, 1884; Lillian E., the wife of Herbert
Bell, a carpenter and builder of Louisville, N.
Y. ; Leslie A., our subject; George L. , a farm-
er in Louisville, N. Y. ; Elizabeth, wife of
Nelson Tucker, a carpenter and builder; and
Jennie, widow of Anson Wager, who was a
merchant of Louisville. The mother of this
family is still living. The father passed from
earth in 1884.

Dr. Sutton spent his boyhood upon the
home farm, attending the district schools until
fifteen years of age, at which time he entered
the Massena Academy, where he graduated
with the class of 1883. The following two
years were passed at the Ogdensburg Free
Academy, and in April, 1886, he began the
study of medicine with his uncle. Dr. George
L. Sutton, in the town of East Fishkill, Dutch-
ess county. In the fall of that year he became

a student in the College of Physicians and


Surgeons, New York City, but after a year he
entered the medical department of the Uni-
versity of the City of New York, graduating
March 4, 1889. After receiving his degree he
came to East Fishkill town, where he has since
been successfully engaged in practice.

On March 26, 1890, Dr. Sutton was mar-
ried to Miss Lillian E. Emans, a sister of Storm
Emans, and they have one child, Leslie Emans,
who was born May i. 1893. The Doctor stands
in the front rank of the medical fraternity of
Dutchess county, is one of the examining sur-
geons of the United States Pension Office, and
for six years has been health officer of East
Fishkill town. In social as well as in profes-
sional circles he stands high, and he has many
friends throughout the community. Like his
father, his ballot is cast in support of the prin-
ciples of the Republican party.

AL\'A SHELLEY, a wealthy and public-
spirited citizen, whose beautiful estate

near Rock City, Dutchess county, is one of the
finest in that vicinity, was born in the town of
Milan, Dutchess county, March 27, 1852.

His family originated in Holland, his great-
great-grandfather having come from that coun-
try in Colonial times. His great-grandfather,
Samuel Shelley, was born in America and was
an early settler in Westchester county, where
his descendants have since held a prominent
place. His son, Joseph Shelley, our subject's
grandfather, although a Quaker in faith, served
as a soldier in the Revolutionary war. Most
of his life was spent in W^estchester county,
where he followed the shoemaker's trade, but
he died in Columbia county. He married Miss
Cole, by whom he had five children: Sarah,
who married a farmer in Columbia county;
Louisa, the wife of a carpenter in the same
county; Benjamin, our subject's father; Henry,
who was a soldier in the Civil war, and is now
a farmer in Kansas; and John W., who lost
his life in defense of the Union.

Benjamin Shelley w-as born at the old
homestead in Westchester county in 1834, but
in early manhood came to Dutchess county
and married Miss Phoebe Ireland, daughter of
Isaac Ireland, a well-known farmer of the town
of Clinton. Her ancestors were also from
Holland originally. After their marriage they
settled upon a farm in the town of Milan,
where they passed the remainder of their lives
exemplifying in their daily conduct the simple



faith of the Quakers, but not uniting with any
Church. Mr. Shelley was a firm supporter of
the principles of the Republican party, but
was not interested in partisan work. He died
March lO, 1893, his wife passing away in 1855.
They had three sons: Isaac, George and Alva,
all of whom settled upon farms in the town of
Milan, and two daughters — Phcebe and Arme-
na, who died in childhood.

The subject of ,this sketch was educated in
the district schools near his father's home, and
has always been identified with the interests of
his native town. He lives upon a farm of 270
acres situated some three miles from Rock
City, and has built there the finest dwelling
house to be found in Milan township. His
holdings in real estate are extensive in Dutch-
ess county and elsewhere; in fact, he does not
know e.xactly hovv much he does own, but esti-
mates it roughly at "about i 500 acres." His
fortune is largely invested in mortgages and
similar securities, and he ranks as the wealthi-
est man in the town. He is one of the promi-
nent I^epublicans of his locality, and is a gen-
erous contributor to every measure for local
improvement and to religious and philanthropic
movements, giving freely to all of the Churches
of the neighborhood.

On March 13, 1887, Mr. Shelley married
Miss Eliza Carroll, a native of Dutchess coun-
ty, born March 30, 1870, and a daughter of
Michael and Adelia Carroll, the former of
whom is now deceased, the latter making her
home with Mr. and Mrs. Shelley. Three chil-
dren have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Shelley:
Alva, Phcebe A. and Ruth.

The grandfather of Mrs. Shelley is a large
landowner in the town of Amenia, Dutchess
county. The Carroll family is of Irish ex-

JAMES O. PINGRY, M. D., a well-known
and prominent physician of Millbrook,
Dutchess county, was born in the village of
Fishkill, July 21, 1843. The family is of En-
glish descent, and the Doctor traces his ancestry
back for seven generations, as follows: John
F., his father, born in Newburyport, Mass.,
September 26, 18 18. John, his father, was
probably born in the same place. Then came
Francis, Job, Aaron and Moses; the Doctor
makes the seventh.

The grandfather of our subject, John Pin-
gry, was a shoemaker by trade, and came from

Massachusetts to P"ishkill, where he died. He
was a consistent member of the Presbyterian
Church. He married Miss Little, and had a
family of four children: John F. ; Julia M.,
who died unmarried; Mary E., the wife of
Richard Coffin; and Margaret A., who married
the Rev. Charles M. Oakley.

[ohn F. Pingry grew to manhood in New-
buryport, Mass., and was a graduate of Dart-
mouth College, and also of the Union Theo-
logical Seminary of New York. He married
Caroline, daughter of James Oakley, and a
native of New York City. Her family was of
English descent. After marriage the young
couple settled at Fishkill village, where Mr.
Pingry preached for four years. In 1846 he
established a school in that place which he
superintended until 1853, when he removed to
Newark, N. J., where he was pastor of a
church for seven years, and also carried on a
school. He then removed to Elizabeth, N. J.,
where he taught until his death, February 16,
1894. His wife passed away October 4, 1856.
Their children were five in number: James
O., the subject of this sketch; John, who
resides with his brother James; Frank K. is a
civil engineer, and lives in Elizabeth, N. J.;
Julia married Charles M. Schott, Jr. ; and
Mary E.

John F. Pingry was a prominent factor in
the history of Dutchess county. He had as
many as one hundred students under his in-
struction at one time, and these included many
who became influential citizens of the county.
He was a man of fine tastes, high principles,
and consistent life, and was greatly respected
and esteemed in the different communities in
which he lived. He was a Presbyterian in his
religious faith, and politically affiliated with the

James O. Pingry was ten years old when
his parents removed from Fishkill to Newark,
and eighteen when they went to Elizabeth.
He was graduated from the University of New
York in the Class of '62, and then entered the
College of Physicians and Surgeons, receiving
his diploma from that institution in 1868. He
practiced in Bellevue Hospital in New York
City, until November i, 1870, at which date
he took up his residence in Millbrook, Dutch-
ess county, where he has since made his home.

Dr. Pingry was married June 28, 1876, at
Millbrook, to Ida L., daughter of R. G. Coffin,
whose biography appears elsewhere in this
volume, and ten children have been born to



them, eight of whom are hving, namely: JuHa,
Lizzie. CaroHne, John, Clarence, Van Wage-
nen, James O , Jr., and Robert. The Doctor
is a Republican, and has been a member of the
school board for about four years. Socially
he is a member of the Dutchess County Medi-
cal Society, and of the Society of the Alumni of
Bellevue Hospital; he also belongs to the Mill-
brook Club of Millbrook, and takes an active
interest in all matters pertaining to the welfare
of the community. He is progressive and lib-
eral in his views, and his opinions have weight
with his fellow citizens. As a physician he
ranks among the best, and his large practice
testifies to the confidence felt in his knowledge
and skill. He owns a handsome residence
where he and his estimable wife dispense a
most genial hospitality to their large circle of


TOHN S. WING. This gentleman is ac-
,i credited with the ownership of one of the
best farms in the town of Washington,
Dutchess county, comprising 165 acres of rich
and arable land, and he is numbered among
the most progressive and industrious agri-
culturists of the localit)^ His farm buildings
and machinery are in keeping with the neat
and thrifty appearance of his place. He was
born in Washington town, June 9. 1857,
and is a son of Thurston Wing, a native of the
town of Dover, Dutchess county. His pa-
ternal grandfather, Jason Wing, a native of
Holland, after his marriage located in the
town of Dover, where he reared his famil}'.

On reaching manhood the father of our
subject was united in marriage with Ann
Tripp, a native of Washington town, where
her father was engaged in agricultural pur-
suits. On a farm in the same town the young
couple began their domestic life, and there
were born to them si.x children, namely:
Charles, deceased, was a farmer of the town
of Washington, where he wedded Mary
Maroney; Thurston J. married Hattie Cutter,
and operates a farm in Dover town; Elias
makes his home in Washington town; Mary
T. is the wife of Joseph Talmadge, a farmer
of the town of Lagrange; John S. is ne.xt in
order of birth; and George died in infancy.
In politics the father of these was a stanch
Democrat, and was called from this life in 1875.
while his wife, who preceded him to the other
world, died in 1869.

The boyhood of our subject was spent
upon the old home farm, assisting in its culti-
vation and improvement during the summer
months, while in the winter season he at-
tended the common schools of the locality.
The lady who now shares his name and fortune
was in her maidenhood Miss Maggie Learey, a
native of the Emerald Isle, and a daughter of
John Learey, a farmer of that country. After
their marriage Mr. Wing and his bride lived
for two years and eight months at Verbank,
Dutchess county, and in 1890 removed to his
present farm. Three children have been born
to tliem: George W., Lucy H. and Anna.

Besides general farming, Mr. Wing is also
engaged in the milk business, and sells that
product quite e.xtensively to the Wassaic
Condensar}'. He is an earnest supporter of
Democratic principles; is public spirited and
progressive, and contributes his share to im-
provements of various kinds in the community.

J [JAMES V. BENSON. The splendid farm
I owned by this gentleman in the town of
— Dover, Dutchess county, is a standing
monument to his industry, perseverance and
good management. It is pleasantly situated
on one of the picturesque hills near the village
of Dover Plains, and invariably attracts the
eyes as being under the supervision of a
thorough and skillful agriculturist, and a man
of otherwise good business qualifications.

His grandfather, Samuel Benson, was a
native of the town of Dover, Dutchess coun-
ty, where he received a good common-school
education, and always followed the occupation
of farming there. He was there married, and
became the father of six children: Phila, who
wedded Preserved Cooper; Jemima; Paltire;
Joshua, who married Amanda Hopkins; Sam-
uel and John.

Samuel Benson. Jr.. the father of our sub-
ject, was also born in the town of Dover, and
like his ancestors had a common-school educa-
tion and followed farming throughout his life.
He wedded Miss Sallie Knapp, of Danbury,
Conn., and in their family were the following
children: Joseph married Helen Hall; Samuel
married Ruth Wheeler; John married Marga-
ret Irish; James V. ; Joshua married Susan
Tappin; Darius married Polly J. Dutcher;
Charles died at the age of eighteen years;
Ebenezer married Emily Deuel; Sallie J.
married Elias Irish; Ada married John D.



Dutcher; and Harriet married Nan Ness

The birth of Mr. Benson, whose name in-
troduces this record, occurred in the town of
Dover. Dutchess county, April 20, 1823, and
in the village of Dover Plains he received a
good common-school education. After his
graduation he took up the pursuit of farming,
to which he had been reared, and has since
given most of his time and attention to that
occupation. He is a man of more than ordi-
nary business ability, and is at present one of

Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 161 of 183)