J.H. Beers & Co.

Commemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York online

. (page 164 of 183)
Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 164 of 183)
Font size
QR-code for this ebook

from all encumbrance. He has not only paid
off the amount, but has another fine farm in
the town of Stanford, known as " Lake Side."
The improvements upon the places are of a
neat and substantival character, and bear wit-
ness to the fact that the owner thoroughly
understands his business, and that he is indus-
trious and enterprising. He is an earnest.
Christian gentleman, a faithful member of the
Friends Church, and an active worker in the
Endeavor Society. He uses his right of fran-
chise in support of the men and measures of
the Prohibition party; is an earnest advocate
of moral reform and the utter overthrow of the
liquor traffic, which he considers the chief bar-
rier to the advancement of Church work.

ILLIAM W. HAXTUN. The subject of
this sketch is t)ne of the leading citizens
of the town of Beekman, Dutchess county,
where he is successfully engaged in agricultural
pursuits, and where his birth occurred on March
19, 1829. His great-grandfather, who was a
resident of Greene county, N. Y. , was killed
by the Indians, being attacked while repairing
the roof of his mill. The rest of the family,
with the exception of one son, then removed
to the town of Beekman, Dutchess county,
where they were numbered among the early
settlers. They located in the eastern part of
the town, where they at first leased land of the
Beekmans, but later purchased property. The
great-grandmother was buried there.

Jeremiah Haxtun, the grandfather of our
subject, was a native of Greene county, and
after the death of his father became the main-
stay of the family. In the town of Pawling,
Dutchess county, was celebrated his marriage
with Rhoda Akin, a native of that town, and
they began their domestic life upon a farm a
mile east of Gardner Hollow in the town of
Beekman, where they were living at the time
of the Revolutionary war. Their family in-
cluded the following children: Benjamin,
William, Louisa, Emily and Rhoda.

The birth of Benjamin Haxtun, the father
of our subject, occurred in the town of Beek-
man, where his father always carried on farm-
ing, and there his boyhood days were passed in



assisting in the work of the farm, and in at-
tending the district schools. He was married
in that town to Almira Vanderburg, daughter
of Colonel \'anderburg, and after her death he
was united in marriage with Sarah Wooley,
daughter of William and granddaughter of
Joseph Woolej'. Two children graced the sec-
ond union — William W., of this review; and
Almira, who died in infancy. The father al-
ways continued to reside upon the old home
farm at Gardner Hollow, there dying in Octo-
ber, 1857, at the age of eighty years, while his
wife passed away in 1870. An influential and
popular man, he represented his district for
two terms in the Genera! Assembly.

After the usual manner of farmer boys,
William W. Haxtun spent his early life at
Gardner Hollow, in the town of Beekman, and
received his primary education in the district
schools. Later, for four years and one term,
he attended the old Amenia Seminary, after
which he was a student in the Dutchess Coun-
ty Academy on South Hamilton street, Pough-
keepsie, but on account of ill health was
obliged to give up his studies and return home.
In the town of Beekman he wedded Miss
Maria De Long, whose birth occurred there,
and the}' have become the parents of two chil-
dren — Benjamin, now of Stormville, Dutchess
county, who married Dorothea Storm, by
whom he has a daughter, Maria; and Will-
iam, Jr.

In 1873 Mr. Haxtun left the old home-
stead, and for the past fifteen years has re-
sided near Green Haven, in Beekman town,
where he is engaged in farming. He is very
fond of travel, and has visited many points of
interest in the West. In politics he is a stanch
Republican, and has taken a prominent part
in public affairs, representing Beekman on the
board of supervisors for two terms. For three
years he was president of the Dutchess County
Agricultural Society, treasurer for seven years,
and had charge of the ladies hall for four

BENJAMIN HOWELL (deceased). Among
_' the representatives of the Pine Tree

State, who traveling westward have estab-
lished homes in Dutchess county, N. Y. , none
are more worthy of mention in a work of this
character, devoted to the biographies of the best
citizens, than the gentleman whose name in-
troduces this review. He was born in Portland,

Maine, May 29, 181 8, and was a son of Ben-
jamin Howell, whose birth occurred in 1784,
on Cape Elizabeth, which now forms a part of
the city of Portland. The grandfather, Isaac
Howell, was a native of the same place, and
was descended from English ancestors, who, on
crossing the Atlantic to America, took up their
residence in Portland. There he was reared,
and for many years was identified with the
business interests of the city as a clothmg mer-
chant. \\'hen the colonists, no longer able to
bear the tyrannical oppression of the mother
country, fought for independence, he was
numbered among the valiant troops that fol-
lowed the leadership of George Washington.
All his life was passed in Portland, and both he
and his wife were connected with the Baptist
Church of that city. They became the par-
ents of four children: John, who was a grocer
of Portland, Maine; George, who followed the
sea; Benjamin; and a daughter of whom no
specific record can be found.

Benjamin Howell was reared in Portland,
learned the carpenter's trade, and was the ar-
chitect and builder of his own home. He
married Rebecca Dyer, a native of that city,
and a daughter of Nathaniel Dyer, and after
his marriage established a home in Portland,
while as a means of livelihood he followed the
sea. He died of yellow fever in the West
Indies in 182S, and his wife passed awaj' in
February, 1835. They had six children:
Emily, who died unmarried; Harriet, who be-
came the wife of Joseph Russell, a carriage
maker; Rebecca, who married Samuel Chester,
a clothier; Mary, who died unmarried; John,
who became a minister of Christ Church; and

The subject of this review spent his early
boyhood in the city of his birth, and at the age
of fifteen started out in life for himself, eoins:
to New York City, where he engaged in the
milk business, which he followed for ten \ears.
In 1845 he wedded Mary Lamoree, who was
born in Dutchess county, and is a sister of
George Lamoree. In the spring of 1845 they
removed to the farm on which Mr. Howell
ever afterward made his home. They had five
children: Harrison, who died at the age of
three j'ears; Walter, who died at the age
of nine years; George W., a farmer of Pleas-
ant Valley town; Augustus C, an agricultur-
ist; and Emily C. , wife of James T. Budd, who
is a farmer of Pleasant \'alle\' town. The
mother of this family was called to the home



beyond in April, 1888, and many friends
mourned the loss of her whom they had so
deeply respected. The father has died during
the preparation of this book.

Mr. Howell gave his attention to agricult-
ural pursuits after coming to Dutchess county,
and was at the time of his death the owner of
loi acres of valuable land, which is highly cul-
tivated and improved. He never held office,
but faithfully performed his duties of citizen-
ship, and was one of the supporters of the Bap-
tist Church. He was a self-made man, starting
out in life empty-handed, and steadily worked
his way upward, overcoming all obstacles and
difficulties that barred his progress to success.

one of the best-known men along the Hud-
son river, was born in the town of Fishkill,
Dutchess county, November 24, 1827, a son
of Henry I. and Freelove (Serene) Brincker-
hof?, who were both also born in the town of
Fishkill. The father, who followed agricult-
ural pursuits, died July 4, 1852, the mother
passing away December 26, 1891, at the ad-
vanced age of ninety-five years. They were
the parents of eight children, three of whom
are yet living: Abram, John H. and Eliza.

When our subject was eleven years old his
parents moved to Esopus, Ulster county,
where he spent the rest of his boyhood days,
attending the common schools. At the age of
twenty years, on account of the failing health
of his father, the management of the farm de-
volved upon our subject, and he remained
there until he was twenty-four years old, at
which time he was married at Esopus to Miss
Angeline Terpenning, who was born there in
1 83 1, and died in 1880, leaving no issue.
After marriage he moved to Highland, Ulster
county, and bought some property, including a
mill at Esopus, which he operated for some
time, at the same time carrying on factories at
Highland and Pine Bush, Orange county.
After continuing in the milling business some
twenty years he bought the "J. C. Doughty,"
a ferry boat plying between Highland and
Poughkeepsie, of which he was captain for
four years. In 1883 he bought, from Thomas
Cornell, the "Mary Powell," the fastest pas-
senger steamer on the river in those days, and
later he sold an interest in this vessel to Capt.
Anderson and Capt. Wicks. In 1878 Capt.
Brinckerhoff purchased the interests of Thomas

Doughty, Augustus Doughty and Capt. I. E.
Wicks in the Poughkeepsie Transportation
Co., in 1888 buying the interest of Homer
Ramsdell, in same company, and becoming
president of the company, which at that time
owned the steamers "John L. Hasbrouck "
and "Andrew Harda," which latter our sub-
ject rebuilt, renaming her the "P. D. Le-
fever. " By 1888 the Captain had also built
the river boats: "Gracie," "Gypsy" and
"Queen City," and also the ferry "J. H.
Brinckerhoff." He has accomplished a great
deal for the transportation facilities of Pough-
keepsie, doing all his freighting business there.
By purchase he has become the owner of the
entire doqkage on the west side of the river,
between Lewisburg and Highland, also much
dockage on the east side of the river, and
altogether he is a large owner .of property at
various places.

From its earliest inception the Captain has
taken a lively interest in the Poughkeepsie
Electric Light & Power Co., and is the heaviest
stockholder in same; is also a stockholder in,
and treasurer of, the Delamater Carriage Co.,
at Poughkeepsie. His comfortable home on
Hamilton street, Poughkeepsie, he has rebuilt
and much improved and beautified. Capt.
Brinckerhoff is a member of Trinity Methodist
Episcopal Church.

IRA E. WILBUR, a well-known and hon-
ored citizen of Amenia, Dutchess county,

has here spent almost his entire life. His
grandfather, David Wilbur, who was born in
Rhode Island in 1770, was brought to Amenia
the following year, and throughout life he there
followed the trade of a tanner, dying in 1852.
Rutledge Wilbur, the father of our subject,
is a native of Dutchess county, born at South
Dover, on August 29. 1809, and there acquired
his education in the district schools. For a
time he made his home in Sharon, Conn., but
about 1834 came to Amenia, and six years
later was appointed superintendent of contract
work in Capt. W'eed's, Palmer's and Gridley's
mines, with which he was connected for about
fifty years. Politically he is a pronounced
Republican. In 1833 he was united in mar-
riage with Miss Betsey A. \^'hite, whose death
occurred November 2, 1879, and to them were
born six children: Albert B., born in 1834,
ex-superintendent of the schools of Middletown,
N. Y. ; Electa C, deceased; Sarah B., born in



1840; Charles R., deceased; and Ira E and
IdaE twins, the latter being now deceased.
Ihe educational advantages afforded our
subject were those of the public schools and
the Anienia Seminary. Later, for the loufr
period of twenty-two years and three months
he was secretary of the Barnum-Richardson
Mining Company or the Amenia Mining Com-
pany, since which time he has been variously
employed, being in the carpet business "at
Brooklyn and the publishing business at Chi-
cago Subsequently he purchased land in
I'lorida, 230 miles south of Jacksonville, where
he engaged in raising oranges and lemons
and also pineapples. He holds a patent on
the Berkshire cough syrup, which he manu-
factured at Amenia.

In that village Mr. Wilbur led to the mar-
riage altar Mrs. Anna (Wickes) Wakeman,
widow of James M. Wakeman, by whom she
has one son— Raymond; and by her marriajje
with our subject she is the mother of a daughter
—Bessie. The family is greatly esteemed in the
community, as representing the . best type of
Its moral and social element. Mr Wilbur is
prominently identified with the Masonic fra-
ternity, has been a member of Amenia Lodge
^o. 672, F. & A. M., since 1869, in which for
SIX years he served as master, and is also con-
nected with the chapter and commandery at
Poughkeepsie, New York.


CTOUTENBURGH.-The ancestor of this
\J,> family, the first of the name in this coun-
try, was Pieter Stoutenburgh, who settled in
New Amsterdam." The date of his arrival
does not appear, but it was probably before
1649. He was a schoolmaster, and therefore
a man of education; and his family was of
good standing, as indicated by their marriage
connections and the offices they held in the
city and colony. He had a house and a large
garden on the east side of Broadway just
north of Wall street, as mentioned on old rec-
ords and shown on the early maps. He mar-
ried 25 July, 1649, Aefje (Eve) Van Tienhoven
(a near relative, perhaps sister, of Cornells
Van Tienhoven, the secretary and treasurer of
the Colony), by whom he had nine children
By a note on the list of members of the Dutch
Church It appears that Pieter Stoutenburgh

"Obyt den 9 Mart. 169S-9," aged eighty-six
years. ^ ^

Tobias Stoutenburgh, the si.xth child of
Peter, was baptized i8th January, 1660 his
sponsor being Judith Stuyvesant. He lived
all his life in New York, where he married 2
July, 1684, Anneke (or Anna) Van Rollegom
who was baptized 15 July, 1665, daughter of
If "n -^"T'^^" ^^" Rollegom, from Haerlem,
Holland. She was one of a large family; but
when her brother. Jacobus, died intestate his
three sisters, Mary, Anna and Gertrude, were
his only heirs, to be referred to later as he left
estates in Dutchess county. Tobias and Anna
had twelve children, all baptized in the Dutch
Church, New York, and several left descend-
ants; but only the line of Jacobus, the si.xth
child, will be followed in this account The
codicil to the will of Tobias Stoutenburgh is
dated 29 December, 171 5, and it was proved
IS January, 17 16. His widow survived him
many years.

Jacobus Stoutenburgh, the sixth child of
lobias and Anna, was baptized 7 June 1696
his sponsors being Jacobus Van Rollegom and
Jannetje Van Feurden, wife of Evert Byvanck
He married in New York 25 May, 1717 Mar-
garet, daughter of William Teller, of feller's
Point, Westchester county, and Rachel Kier-
stede; the latter being a daughter of Dr Hans
Kierstede by Sarah, daughter of Rollof Jansen
and the celebrated Anneke Jans. The por-
traits of Jacobus and Margaret were painted by
a good artist, about the time of their marriage
They are on "panel," and are now treasured
by their descendant, Mrs. Eugene Wells (Mary
Teller), of Rhinebeck. Jacobus and Margaret
had nine children: Tobias, baptized. New
York, 12 February, 171 8, married Catharine
Van VIeck; Rachel, baptized. New York 16
March, 1720, died young; William, baptized
New York, 3 June, 1722, married Maria Van-
Vleck; Anna, baptized. New York 11 Novem-
ber. 1724, married James Van Vleck; Jacobus
married Josina Teller; John, baptized, Philips-
burg, 29 March, 1729, marrie*i Catharine
leller; Peter married Rachel Van Steenburgh •
Margaret, baptized, Philipsburg, 14 April'
1734. married John Teller; Luke, baptized'
Philhpsburg, 5 June, 1736, married (first) Ra-
chel Teller, and (second) Mary (^•an Vleck)

From the above it will be seen that Jaco-
bus removed, sometime after his marriage to
the Manor of Philipsburg, Westchester county



near his wife's relatives. In a deed, as late as
1741, he is called of that place "shopkeeper,"
and he must have been successful in that call-
ing. In a deed of 1742, he is called "of the
count}' of Dutchess," and that is doubtless the
date of his removal. What led to this change
of residence may now be briefly stated: The
celebrated " Nine Partners Patent," in Dutch-
ess county, was granted 27 May, 1697, to Col.
Caleb Heathcote, Augustine Graham, James
Emmot, Col. Henry Filkin, David Jamison,
Hendrick Ten Eyck, John Aertson, William
Creed and Jarvis Marshall. Nearly all these
men held some office, high or low, in the col-
ony. By the Civil List of the Province of New
York, it appears that in 1693 Jarvis Marshall
was " Doorkeeper and Messenger of ye Coun-
cil," at a salary of ^30 a year. This grant
was an extensive one, now including the
greater part of seven townships. In 1699 sur-
veys were made, and the lands divided among
the partners, or then owners. That part of
the patent bounded on the west by the Hudson
river was divided into ' ' the Nine Water Lots. "
These lots varied from thirty to thirty-two
chains in width, and ran back about four and
a half miles " into the woods. " Lot No. 9, at .
the north end, fell to Jarvis Marshall, who
also had " Great Lots" Nos. i, 15, 24, and 35,
in the interior. He had already sold one-half
his interest in the patent to Jacobus Van Roll-
egom, and, in 1700, he sold the other half to
John Crooke, of New York, merchant. Van-
Rollegom died before 1722, intestate, as before
stated, and his estate fell to his three sisters:
Mary, wife of Henry Kermer (or Carmer),
Anne Stoutenburgh, widow, and Gertrude,
widow of Bartholomew Le Rou.x. The latter
was mother of Charles Le Roux, goldsmith, in
New York, whose name so often appears as
one of the attorneys for the proprietors of the
Nine Partners Patent.

By a deed, 25 August, 1722, Anne Stouten-
burgh sold her interest to her .son Jacobus, for
£6^. Subsequently, by a number of convey-
ances, Jacob^is Stoutenburgh seems, by 1743,
to have become the owner of all, or nearly all,
the share that fell to Jarvis Marshall. It was
twenty years from the date of his first pur-
chase before Jacobus Stoutenburgh removed
to what is now the town of Hyde Park; as in
1 74 1 he was still " of Philipsburgh. " His first
house, probably the one named in old abstracts
of title as "built in 1723," was of stone and
logs, and stood a short distance south of the

present village, near a spring, where some re-
mains of it are still to be seen. It is probably
that it was built for the use of the men who
cleared the land, and for his occasional stop-
ping place. The wood cut doubtless found
a ready market in New York, when coal was
yet unknown; and some years would naturallj'
be spent in thus clearing the land. Very likely
he did not remove his family until he built the
stone mansion which stood until 1864, west of
the post road, near the "Lower Corners."
It was a fine house for that day, the rooms
being spacious, and the paneling and wood-
work handsomely finished.

During the remainder of his lifetime he
was engaged in disposing of a part of his lands,
and in settling his children on homestead
farms; and he also deeded to them other lands.
He was called upon to take some part in pub-
lic affairs, and was for some time County
Judge. In the deed to his son, Luke, he re-
serves the well-known "Stoutenburgh Bury-
ing-ground " as a burial place for his familj',
forever. The will of Jacobus Stoutenburgh is
dated 24 January, 1770, and it was proved 19
December, 1772. He gives his eldest son
Tobias, "besides what I have given him,";^ 25,
and a silver teapot. As he has given his daugh-
ter Annatje a silver teapot of the value of £ 1 4,
he gives " one now in my family " to Margaret,
and orders one for each of the five younger
sons; desiring if any of his children should die
leaving a daughter Margaret, such teapot
should descend to her. His wife, Margaret,
is to enjoy ail his estate, rents, etc., for life,
with remainder to the seven younger children.
This will is recorded in' New York.

The account which follows, of his descend-
ants, is founded on a "Family Tree," and
papers now in the possession of Dr. James L.
Prichard, with the assistance of Church records
where available. It is believed to be correct,
as far as it goes; but the order of births in
some families, where dates are wanting, is un-
certain; and there maybe omissions, for which
the "tree" must be held responsible.

Tobias Stoutenburgh, son of Jacobus, mar-
ried in New York. 6 July, 1745, Catharine,
daughter of Abraham Van Vleck, and Maria
Kip, baptized in New York, 30 November,
1 7 18. To him his father gave a farm lying on
the river front of the Ninth Water Lot. It is
probable that the large house that stood until
about i860, opposite the present railway sta-
tion, was his residence. This house was oc-



cupied at the beginning of this century by his
son-in-law, Richard De Cantillon, who carried
on here a mercantile and shipping business;
sending cargoes as far as the West Indies, to
be exchanged for sugar, molasses and rum.
Few particulars of this eldest son seem to have
come down to this day. Children: Margaret,
baptized. New York, 30 March, 1746; married
Jacob Schryver, and had Jane, and Sarah, who
married her cousin, Tobias S. De Cantillon.
Abraham, who left two children, Tobias and
Mary. Mary married in 1770 Richard De-
Cantillon, and had Tobias. S. (married Sarah
Schryver), Richard, Catherine (married Patrick
B. Collins), and Maria (married Capt. Hum-
phrey Wood). Jacobus T. , who died after
1 807. Tobias Stoutenburgh was commissioned
colonel of the 4th Regiment, Dutchess county,
17 October, 1775.

William Stoutenburgh, a son of Jacobus,
received from his father a homestead farm of
large extent, lying on both sides of the Creek
road, and taking in the whole breadth of the
Ninth Water Lot. On this he built a large stone
house, which isstill standing, and in a good state
of preservation, a short distance south of Union
Corners, with the date, 1765, cut in a stone
in the front. He married in New York, 5
July, 1753, Maria, daughter of Abraham Van-
Vleck and Maria Kip; baptized in New York,
25 July, 1725. Children: James, who died
in 1807, married three times; Abraham W. ,
married Margaret Van Vleck; William W. ,
died 1829, married Elizabeth Conklin; Tobias
W^., married Mary Hill; Mary W., married
Harmon \'an Benschoten, and had Mary,
born 25 October, 1789, and Catharine, bap-
tized 3 December, 1797; John W. , baptized,
Poughkeepsie, 22 September, 1765; Isaac,
born 17 December, 1767, married Elsie Schry-
ver; Henry, born 22 June, 1770, died early.

James Stoutenburgh, son of William, owned
a farm on a road now closed, northeast of
Union Corners. He was married three times,
first 31 December, 1782, to Mary Moss; and
had: Polly, married James Culver. Mar-
garet. He married a second, 30 December,
1790, Hannah Marshall, and had Richard,
born 9 July, 1791 (married, and' had Richard
and John T. B.); Hannah ("Nancy"), born
23 August, 1792; Herman; Marshall, died in
Poughkeepsie, 19 August, 1849, aged fifty-
seven, leaving children. He married (third)
Comfort Bell, by whom he had one child, Eliza-
beth, married John Hendricks. In his will, 19

May, proved 25 June, 1807, he names wife
Comfort, and all the above children. "The
widow Comfort Stoutenburgh" survived her
husband many years, residing on the home-

Abraham W. Stoutenburgh, son of William,
married Margaret, daughterof James Van Vleck
and Anna Stoutenburgh. Children: James;
Margaret, married Tunis, son of William W.
Stoutenburgh; William, born 23 March, 1783;
Ann; Harmon; Elizabeth, born 7 March, 1789;
Catharine, Maria, born 5 September, 1790;
Abraham, born 25 August, 1791; Mary, born
10 December, 1797. Abraham W. Stouten-
burgh lived in the town of Clinton. On May
I, 1795, Ebenezer Mott, of Stanford, and
Mary, his wife, conveyed 21 1 acres in Clinton
to Abraham Stoutenburgh, of Clinton, and Mar-
garet, his wife, " it being the homestead farm
their mother, Ann Van Vleck, possessed and
resided on at the time of her decease."

William W. Stoutenburgh, son of William,
died 19 August, 1829, aged seventy years. He
had from his father a farm and mills a mile
east of Union Corners. He married 28 Janu-

Online LibraryJ.H. Beers & CoCommemorative biographical record of Dutchess County, New York → online text (page 164 of 183)